[XKCD] Translation ?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quark

[XKCD] Translation ?

Postby Quark » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

Hello people.

I often recommend XKCD to my friends.
I often get as an answer 'bleh, it's in english'.

And apart from this website ( in spanish ) I can't find any (unofficial) XKCD translation on the Web.

Is there's a reason for that ? ( or can I start my own french-translated XKCD homage website ? )

apeman5291

Re: [XKCD] Translation ?

Postby apeman5291 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

That would be interesting. Of course, there's stuff like this that wouldn't quite get across. In terms of copyright, I think the Creative Commons allows that.

(Aussi, j'aime bien le francais. De quel pays êtes-vous?)
What you don't understand, you can make mean anything.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

Nice find.

I'd say that if no one else has already translated it into French, you're better off just doing it yourself.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Quark

Postby Quark » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

Je suis de France apeman5291, d'où es-tu ? Ton français est bon :)

And, well yeah, that sort of strip would be problematic ( and I did not get the pun ... ).

Well, I'd better contact Mr. XKCD himself :o .

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:35 pm UTC

You don't need to contact Randall to post translations on your website, as long as you:
1. Give credit to Randall Munroe/XKCD
2. Don't try to sell them.

By the way, "thyme" is an herb, which is pronounced in the same way as "time."

EDIT: Does anyone else find the Spanish versions to be funnier sometimes?

Quark

Postby Quark » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:45 pm UTC

Yep, I thought about run on time but ... I still don't get it. Trains were not late with Mussolini ? Mmmm ... I'm confused :) .

I did not read the whole spanish translation, but I think they're pretty close to the original, but they're not better ( unless you're spanish :) ).

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:56 pm UTC

Quark wrote:Yep, I thought about run on time but ... I still don't get it. Trains were not late with Mussolini ? Mmmm ... I'm confused :) .

I did not read the whole spanish translation, but I think they're pretty close to the original, but they're not better ( unless you're spanish :) ).
People joke that Mussolini made the trains run on time, even though everything else he did was a total disaster.

I know the Spanish translations are pretty much word-for-word, but for some reason, some of the punchlines are funnier in Spanish. Like in the Gygax comic, "Dios mio!" (sorry, I don't feel like putting on diacriticals) is just funnier than "Oh, Jesus."

ParanoydAndroid

Postby ParanoydAndroid » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:01 pm UTC

++$_ wrote:
Quark wrote:Yep, I thought about run on time but ... I still don't get it. Trains were not late with Mussolini ? Mmmm ... I'm confused :) .

People joke that Mussolini made the trains run on time, even though everything else he did was a total disaster.

I know the Spanish translations are pretty much word-for-word, but for some reason, some of the punchlines are funnier in Spanish. Like in the Gygax comic, "Dios mio!" (sorry, I don't feel like putting on diacriticals) is just funnier than "Oh, Jesus."

Although I can't speak for the xkcd translations specifically, I've always noticed that because of the way the language is structured, wordplay tends to work much much better in Spanish. Also, I've noticed anything sexually dirty in Spanish is pretty damn funny to a non-native speaker just because of the torturous circumlocutions required in the expressions.

-B
I may be an idiot sir, but one thing I am not, sir, is an idiot.

Quark

Postby Quark » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:07 pm UTC

++$_ wrote:People joke that Mussolini made the trains run on time, even though everything else he did was a total disaster.

Oh, tx for that explaining, I got it now.

But I can't see why "Dios Mio" sounds funnier :D. Does "Oh mon Dieu" do the same effect on you ? :).

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:12 pm UTC

Quark wrote:
++$_ wrote:People joke that Mussolini made the trains run on time, even though everything else he did was a total disaster.

Oh, tx for that explaining, I got it now.

But I can't see why "Dios Mio" sounds funnier :D. Does "Oh mon Dieu" do the same effect on you ? :).
A bit, but not so much. I really have no idea why -- I guess it's just like rutabagas being innately funnier than onions.

apeman5291

Postby apeman5291 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

Quark: Je suis des États-Unis, mais j'ai pris quatre années de français au lycée.

I think in general, a foreign language sounds funnier than someone's native tongue. I find french comedies much funnier than their english dubs. I also agree that spanish is hilarious. Something about comparing testicles to eggs tickles me.

Considering the amount of french-speakers on the internet, I think a french XKCD translation would be very useful to a lot of people. If you want to, you should make one.

jabberwock33

Postby jabberwock33 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:59 pm UTC

You forget how many of the comics make use of language quirks specific to English, making them very difficult to translate them.

EDIT: Sorry, mods, just delete this one.
Last edited by jabberwock33 on Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jabberwock33

Postby jabberwock33 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:59 pm UTC

You forget how many of the comics make use of language quirks specific to English, making it very difficult to translate them.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

apeman5291 wrote:That would be interesting. Of course, there's stuff like this that wouldn't quite get across.
jabberwock33 wrote:You forget how many of the comics make use of language quirks specific to English, making it very difficult to translate them.
Already been said.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

antonfire

Postby antonfire » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:25 am UTC

There's been at least one topic on this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16964
Jerry Bona wrote:The Axiom of Choice is obviously true; the Well Ordering Principle is obviously false; and who can tell about Zorn's Lemma?

kcr

Postby kcr » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:44 am UTC

Annnd now I'm going to be frequenting the Spanish xkcd to practice my Spanish! Excellent. :)

apeman5291

Postby apeman5291 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:36 pm UTC

antonfire wrote:There's been at least one topic on this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16964

So it's a common interest. I think there's potential here.

Quark

Postby Quark » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:41 pm UTC

Well I asked Mr Randall Munroe, if he was thinking about a more official way of translating strips ( such as the transcribe tool ).

Anyway, I think I'll start translating some ( the newest ) but I'm a bit worried about copying the design and coding the website :/ . This would take me much more time than translating :o .

Return to “General”