humor with graphs and diagrams

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.
Posts: 3474
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:19 pm UTC
Location: it's turtles all the way down, even in the suburbs
Contact:

Re: humor with graphs

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

these graphs make me very happy. like seeing kittens but I smile more.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

User avatar
Shro
science genius girl
Posts: 2139
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:31 am UTC
Location: im in ur heartz, stealin ur luv.
Contact:

Re: humor with graphs

Postby Shro » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:51 pm UTC

Here is one I made while procrastinating for an exam:

Image
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

akashra
Posts: 503
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:54 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, AU
Contact:

Re: humor with graphs

Postby akashra » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:
prices-of-different-liquids.jpg

I love the "Human Blood" Comparison. Also, I think it's funny that a substance which has been known to cause wars is cheaper than water.

Should probably include PPG Harlequin (kinechromatic) paint on that graph. Around AUD1,000/litre - slightly more expensive than HP ink :)
( find / -name \*base\* -exec chown us : us { } \ ; )

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26725
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: humor with graphs

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:18 pm UTC

One I just made. Don't know if it's been posted already elsewhere, though, because it seems like a fairly obvious Venn diagram to make.
Attachments
I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg
I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg (17.69 KiB) Viewed 5691 times
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Ended
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:27 pm UTC
Location: The Tower of Flints. (Also known as: England.)

Re: humor with graphs

Postby Ended » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

I have to say,
Attachments
i-lol'd.JPG
i-lol'd.JPG (14.41 KiB) Viewed 5658 times
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

EvanED
Posts: 4331
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:28 am UTC
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: humor with graphs

Postby EvanED » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:04 pm UTC

I disagree with that picture. That states, in addition to the fact that you LOL'd, that no one else did. The "lol'ing" set should not be contained within the "things I did" set.

Ended
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:27 pm UTC
Location: The Tower of Flints. (Also known as: England.)

Re: humor with graphs

Postby Ended » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

EvanED wrote:I disagree with that picture. That states, in addition to the fact that you LOL'd, that no one else did. The "lol'ing" set should not be contained within the "things I did" set.

...good point. Although, it works if instead of viewing it as a Venn diagram, you view it as a subset diagram. I.e., every possible "action" is mapped to a point in the plane in such a way that both the set of "LOL-ing actions" and the set of "things I did" are compact and connected*, with the former contained in the latter by assumption. Then, other people can still have LOL-ed, but the set of "things they did" will be disconnected.

*I'm not sure how to construct such a mapping though, or even if it is possible to do so.
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

User avatar
benjhuey
Posts: 3328
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:35 am UTC
Location: A collection of rocks

Re: humor with graphs

Postby benjhuey » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:56 pm UTC

EvanED wrote:I disagree with that picture. That states, in addition to the fact that you LOL'd, that no one else did. The "lol'ing" set should not be contained within the "things I did" set.

Perhaps no one else lol'd.
多么现在棕色母牛?

User avatar
ascendingPig
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:14 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: humor with graphs

Postby ascendingPig » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:15 am UTC

"Many facts can fill an empty head."
-- Karl Kraus

User avatar
Cornelius
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:54 am UTC
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: humor with graphs

Postby Cornelius » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:15 am UTC

does this even make sense?

[fixed graph]
Attachments
Brainpower graph.png
Brainpower graph.png (35.19 KiB) Viewed 5498 times
Last edited by Cornelius on Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:28 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImageImage

Mo0man
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:46 am UTC
Location: 2 weeks ago

Re: humor with graphs

Postby Mo0man » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:16 am UTC

Cornelius wrote:does this even make sense?

No, you need to change the X&Y axes. Unless you're planning on going back in time...

Other than that, nice
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Ashbash
Posts: 184
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:46 am UTC

Re: humor with graphs

Postby Ashbash » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:09 pm UTC

Now I know some of y'all don't like facebook. But for those that have it, this is by far, the greatest group of all time.

Pop songs, expressed with GRAPHS

(and tables, pie charts, venn diagrams and even a hertzsprung-rusell)

Check it out. And view them from the oldest first. Because it's funnier that way.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... 4855078828

The link is to the oldest. Keep clicking 'previous' rather than next.

User avatar
cypherspace
Posts: 2733
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:48 pm UTC
Location: Londonia

Re: humor with graphs

Postby cypherspace » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

Love that group. Just submitted this one (spoiler'd for bigness):

Spoiler:
Image
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

User avatar
4=5
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:02 am UTC

Re: humor with graphs

Postby 4=5 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:31 pm UTC

my ability to draw mountians over time
Image

User avatar
Ian Ex Machina
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:07 pm UTC
Location: Around Cambridge (UK)
Contact:

Re: humor with graphs

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:02 pm UTC

Anyone read b3ta?
They had a photoshop competition for making humourous graphs : Click here.
There are loads.
Image

User avatar
Southwest
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:01 am UTC

Re: humor with graphs

Postby Southwest » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:24 am UTC

I've seen this one around the Intarwebs a million times, but it still remains one of my favourite Venn diagrams.

Image

Another one of my favourites, from toothpaste for dinner:

Image

TheCoelacanth
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:07 am UTC

Re: humor with graphs

Postby TheCoelacanth » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

EvanED wrote:I disagree with that picture. That states, in addition to the fact that you LOL'd, that no one else did. The "lol'ing" set should not be contained within the "things I did" set.


The "things I did" and "things someone else did" sets are not necessarily disjoint.

User avatar
niteice
Posts: 186
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 4:17 am UTC
Contact:

Re: humor with graphs

Postby niteice » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

Facebook has this neat new feature called Lexicon that tracks the frequencies of words posted on Walls.

Image
GENERATION 4294967292: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum, negate the generation, and convert it to a 32-bit unsigned integer. Social experiment.

User avatar
cypherspace
Posts: 2733
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:48 pm UTC
Location: Londonia

Re: humor with graphs

Postby cypherspace » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

Yeah, I saw that earlier, like Google Trends but more personal. Very interesting.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

User avatar
Felis
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:13 am UTC

Re: humor with graphs

Postby Felis » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:13 am UTC

I did this one the other day. It's based on another one I had seen on the intertubes the other day, but as a phase chart.
Image

User avatar
Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.
Posts: 2926
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:48 am UTC
Location: In ur fora posting in teh threads

Re: humor with graphs

Postby Mathmagic » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:14 am UTC

I'm trying to figure out how the "awkwardness" zones are established.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26725
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: humor with graphs

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:54 pm UTC

Looks like, being on the boundaries of dating, there's the awkwardness of not knowing whether to be friends or to date, and the awkwardness of not knowing whether to date or to just be fuck buddies.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
evilbeanfiend
Posts: 2650
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:05 am UTC
Location: the old world

Re: humor with graphs

Postby evilbeanfiend » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

more importantly why is their no border between friends and fuck buddies
in ur beanz makin u eveel

User avatar
Various Varieties
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

Re: humor with graphs

Postby Various Varieties » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

Here's a music one I made and submitted to Graphjam...

Image

And here's another one that came to mind, though it isn't really humorous...

Image

argyl3 wrote:Here is one I made while procrastinating for an exam:

Image

Similarly:
Image

User avatar
cypherspace
Posts: 2733
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:48 pm UTC
Location: Londonia

Re: humor with graphs

Postby cypherspace » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

Made this yesterday:

Spoiler:
girlsandboys.JPG
Damon Albarn's social life involves many groups.
girlsandboys.JPG (40.86 KiB) Viewed 4556 times
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

User avatar
sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.
Posts: 3474
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:19 pm UTC
Location: it's turtles all the way down, even in the suburbs
Contact:

Re: humor with graphs

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:47 pm UTC

That. Is. Fucking. AWESOME!
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26725
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: humor with graphs

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:00 pm UTC

evilbeanfiend wrote:more importantly why is their no border between friends and fuck buddies

I would say that there is a third axis, which is something like "romantic compatibility" and is based on a variety of things which would be inefficient to enumerate here. As that decreases, the Dating Zone shrinks, but Friend and Fuckbuddy expand to fill the gap. Until you get really low, that is, at which point probably whatever would make you incompatible romantic partners also starts to decrease the possibility of being good friends, and the PAIN region might expand.

Overall, I really like that graph, actually. It adds detail to the schematic of the same sort of thing that I was getting at with my earlier "out with" Venn diagram, for one thing. I'm now tempted to make a cross-section along the simplex (triangular region), to show what kinds of relationships you might have with people when you have to trade one kind of attractiveness for the other, and with compatibility. Or perhaps an animation of how this graph changes as compatibility increases...
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Frello
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:49 pm UTC
Location: Denmark

Re: humor with graphs

Postby Frello » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:35 pm UTC

niteice wrote:Facebook has this neat new feature called Lexicon that tracks the frequencies of words posted on Walls.
[Some Lexicon graph]


That is quite an interesting tool regarding social trends, limited as it is. This one below got me wondering what was depressing about that particular January date, until I came to my senses and did some research. I bet a lot of people around here can tell me the reason for the peak without wiki'ing:
wtfisupwithjanuary.png
wtfisupwithjanuary.png (36.39 KiB) Viewed 4436 times


Spoiler:
zxcv.png
zxcv.png (25.21 KiB) Viewed 4364 times


EDIT: Removed some numbers. More fun now :)
EDIT2: Added a spoiler. Fun-total now up to 2.

User avatar
michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing
Posts: 2353
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:21 am UTC
Location: Citizen of the World
Contact:

Re: humor with graphs

Postby michaelandjimi » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:09 am UTC

Frello wrote:This one below got me wondering what was depressing about that particular January date, until I came to my senses and did some research. I bet a lot of people around here can tell me the reason for the peak without wiki'ing:


Because it's the day before the 5th anniversary of the final communication between Earth and Pioneer 10. We had some good times. I'd be pretty sad too.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

User avatar
BoomFrog
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: humor with graphs

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:29 am UTC

That was weird... I misread that as "health ledger" but when I googled it I spelled it heath. Brains work in mysterious ways...
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

User avatar
Felis
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:13 am UTC

Re: humor with graphs

Postby Felis » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:34 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
evilbeanfiend wrote:more importantly why is their no border between friends and fuck buddies

I would say that there is a third axis, which is something like "romantic compatibility" and is based on a variety of things which would be inefficient to enumerate here. As that decreases, the Dating Zone shrinks, but Friend and Fuckbuddy expand to fill the gap. Until you get really low, that is, at which point probably whatever would make you incompatible romantic partners also starts to decrease the possibility of being good friends, and the PAIN region might expand.

Overall, I really like that graph, actually. It adds detail to the schematic of the same sort of thing that I was getting at with my earlier "out with" Venn diagram, for one thing. I'm now tempted to make a cross-section along the simplex (triangular region), to show what kinds of relationships you might have with people when you have to trade one kind of attractiveness for the other, and with compatibility. Or perhaps an animation of how this graph changes as compatibility increases...


You should message me, I'd be willing to work on that. Also, cross-sex is of course very wrong, I just couldn't find a suitable name for "sex of preference" that sounded peer-reviewed-scientific enough. I was thinking of something somewhere along these lines for a 3-D diagram: http://hoffman.physics.harvard.edu/research/SCimages/3DphaseBW_small.gif.
The graph as is obviously has some discrepancies, as the goal was to make it funny, not psycho-socially correct.

kruxigt
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:19 am UTC

Re: humor with graphs

Postby kruxigt » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:31 am UTC

Frello wrote:That is quite an interesting tool regarding social trends, limited as it is. This one below got me wondering what was depressing about that particular January date, until I came to my senses and did some research. I bet a lot of people around here can tell me the reason for the peak without wiki'ing:


It's my birthday! That guy totally ruined it :twisted:

User avatar
no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time
Posts: 4221
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 6:32 pm UTC
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: humor with graphs

Postby no-genius » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:34 am UTC

Frello wrote:
Spoiler:
That is quite an interesting tool regarding social trends, limited as it is. This one below got me wondering what was depressing about that particular January date, until I came to my senses and did some research. I bet a lot of people around here can tell me the reason for the peak without wiki'ing:

Spoiler:
but the Heath Ledger peak is after the suicide peak (or at least it looks that way)? Causes must come before effects!
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

User avatar
PatrickRsGhost
Posts: 2278
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 5:43 pm UTC
Location: ZZ9PluralZAlpha
Contact:

Re: humor with graphs

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

One I created (spoiler'd for size):

Spoiler:
Image


I created mine here:

http://nces.ed.gov/nceskids/createagraph/default.aspx

What I had to do since it's all Flash is have it sent to my e-mail in html format, then save the graph image to my computer in bitmap format. Upload to Photobucket and take it from there.
PRG

An important message for you:

010000100110010100100000011100110
111010101110010011001010010000001
110100011011110010000001100101011
000010111010000100000011110010110
111101110101011100100010000001100
010011000010110001101101111011011
1000101110

User avatar
GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers
Posts: 3892
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:56 am UTC
Location: Brisbane, Aust
Contact:

Re: humor with graphs

Postby GhostWolfe » Thu May 01, 2008 6:08 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:Made this yesterday:

[girlsandboys.JPG]

There's a *really good* flow chart version of this on the Facebook group.

Also No-G:
Spoiler:
Maybe on the first spike everyone was posting ZOMG! GUESS WHO JUST COMMITTED SUICIDE, and then the next day, the people who were really out of the loop had to be given the answer? [/practical answer, spoils the fun]
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

User avatar
kgirlfae
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:31 am UTC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: humor with graphs

Postby kgirlfae » Thu May 01, 2008 6:51 am UTC

4=5 wrote:my ability to draw mountians over time


By far my favorite Demetri Martin graph of all time. I need this on a t-shirt, badly.

I'm glad to see someone beat me to it :D

User avatar
Spoffin
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:51 am UTC

Re: humor with graphs

Postby Spoffin » Fri May 02, 2008 11:13 am UTC

argyl3 wrote:Here is one I made while procrastinating for an exam:

Image

My exam starts in two hours and 15 minutes.
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

glisp42
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 10:01 pm UTC
Location: Kansas

Re: humor with graphs

Postby glisp42 » Sun May 04, 2008 10:41 pm UTC

Here's one I made a few days ago for another message board.
Attachments
chart.JPG
chart.JPG (33.14 KiB) Viewed 3291 times

User avatar
tommclaughlan
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Teesside, UK
Contact:

Re: humor with graphs

Postby tommclaughlan » Mon May 05, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

but why?
Attachments
whydobirds.jpg
whydobirds.jpg (33.53 KiB) Viewed 3176 times
Image

User avatar
DaMullet
Posts: 470
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:21 pm UTC
Location: Coming soon to a theatre near YOU!
Contact:

Re: humor with graphs

Postby DaMullet » Mon May 05, 2008 11:49 pm UTC

Are they going extinct, or merely in hiding?

Second graph not shown, but when you add raptors to the mix, they follow a line almost exactly on that of ninjas... However, they appear much more often in Canada, almost as much as Pirates.
Attachments
Piiirate.JPG
pirates
Piiirate.JPG (123.18 KiB) Viewed 3169 times
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests