Fora member birthdays

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:07 pm UTC

Clerria wrote:The aire of maturity just because you're out of your 20s comes off as complete bullshit to me, as well.

The fact that I recognize exactly how quickly life flows by means that the few years til I'm 30 mean dick. Nothing more.

(I never said I'm mature because I get perks out of poking people's oversensitive ego's. The fact that you're so annoyed with younger people just means you're a bit oversensitive about your own age.)

<- That's my serious take on what is supposed to be a frivilous birthday thread.

Er...there are a zillion-ish posts by youngsters saying they "feel old". Why would you assume I was directing anything at you? Geez...speaking of 'oversensitive'.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:11 pm UTC

Clerria wrote:I feel jealous that my birthday is already taken,
Hi, welcome to probability.. that being something to the effect of if you take 20 or so random people, the probability of any two of them sharing a birthday is 50%
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:18 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:
Clerria wrote:The aire of maturity just because you're out of your 20s comes off as complete bullshit to me, as well.

The fact that I recognize exactly how quickly life flows by means that the few years til I'm 30 mean dick. Nothing more.

(I never said I'm mature because I get perks out of poking people's oversensitive ego's. The fact that you're so annoyed with younger people just means you're a bit oversensitive about your own age.)

<- That's my serious take on what is supposed to be a frivilous birthday thread.

Er...there are a zillion-ish posts by youngsters saying they "feel old". Why would you assume I was directing anything at you? Geez...speaking of 'oversensitive'.

You caught me. But to be fair, you did say this directly after I was poking fun at people for age sensitivity, and when people don't use quotes as a reference I generally assume they are speaking to the people posting directly before them.

Assumptions are bad.

And SecondTalon, I don't want to hear your "logic" ... Everyone wants to be special : )
eristic wrote:
Clerria wrote:Do you speak Greek? ;)

'maybe'

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:20 pm UTC

My mommy says I'm special like Ed.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:23 pm UTC

Clerria wrote:You caught me. But to be fair, you did say this directly after I was poking fun at people for age sensitivity, and when people don't use quotes as a reference I generally assume they are speaking to the people posting directly before them.

There are actually two posts between, one of which was a 21-year-old saying he felt old being here.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:26 pm UTC

I did see that... (and understand your annoyance).

Sorry for responding so bluntly, even though I still think what I said is true, on a general level and not as a rebuttal against you personally.

Edit:

Even though it is pretty annoying, it is still because of our own sensitivity. He was probably only making that comment because he's used to being the youngest everywhere but there are a multitude of younger members here that make him feel older for once. And one not-well thought out comment later, he irritates someone who is much older than him.

To respond insultingly to a comment that was probably well intended is what I found to be oversensitive.

(Then I did something similar?)

Still... age definitely does not imply maturity, or even the right to be annoyed at someone younger than you who has misperceptions on what it means to feel old.

I obviously can't stop talking about this. I have a problem. I'm clearly oversensitive to misunderstandings.
Last edited by Clerria on Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
eristic wrote:

'maybe'

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:28 pm UTC

I honestly hate anyone bitching about getting old. The only time I see it as a valid complaint is after you hit 90 or so.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:29 pm UTC

Oh man, guys, I am so OLD RIGHT NOW!

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:39 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:Oh man, guys, I am so OLD RIGHT NOW!

Yeah, I got yer old right here, Jesster. Just step into my office...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:40 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:Oh man, guys, I am so OLD RIGHT NOW!

And by the time you read my reply, YOU'LL BE EVEN OLDER!!!1

Catch22

Postby Catch22 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:58 pm UTC

I don't care what anyone says, I definitely feel old at times. That's just the way it goes. I know i'm not 90, and I know i haven't had to deal with 95% of the age problems I probably will someday, but that has nothing to do with it.

I don't really remember feeling "old" at 21, but I'm sure I did, and I can easily see that was a bit short sighted. When I'm 39 I'll look back on these years and wonder how the hell I could have ever felt old at 29. Then when I'm 49, I'm sure I'll be sitting there, saying how I'd give anything to go back to being 39.

Meanwhile some 59 year old is going to be telling me that I don't know how good I have it, still being 49...

It's all relative, always will be. That said, I turn 29 in less than a week, my knees hurt when I got out of bed this morning, and damn if I don't feel old today. Maybe this weekend when I get drunk and celebrate I will feel younger.
On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:01 pm UTC

Until the hangover comes. Ever notice how hangovers are slowly getting worse as you get older?
eristic wrote:

'maybe'

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:04 pm UTC

Clerria wrote:Until the hangover comes. Ever notice how hangovers are slowly getting worse as you get older?

no way, i had my worst hangover when i was 19.

I spent like 2 hours in the shower, mad dog 20/20 orange jubilee, damn them to hell!

I rarely get "bad hangovers" anymore, (4 years later) then again i rarely drink myself to retardation these days. And only on occasion do i drink to face numbness.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:07 pm UTC

Not really, because as I get older I know my limits more and more.. so I no longer get hangovers. That whole "learning from experience"

Not that I ever did. As near as I can tell, I've had two. And I don't really drink that often, and I haven't drunk to excess regularly ever, and haven't done it at all in over three years....

I guess what I'm saying is.. I enjoy the nice warm buzz far more than I do any drunkeness, so I keep myself there.

What I do notice is that I am no longer able to stay awake for 30+ hours, or really even 20+. Around 16 hours of being awake, I start to get really really tired, and around 19 or so, if I'm comfortable, I'll fall asleep pretty much wherever I am.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:10 pm UTC

Clerria wrote:He was probably only making that comment because he's used to being the youngest everywhere

This is correct. I skipped a grade in elementary school, so until very very recently I almost never associated with people younger than me (or even the same age as me)

Clerria wrote: And one not-well thought out comment later...

Also correct. I apologize for the misunderstanding. Frankly, I don't feel particularly old at all, in fact, I barely feel old enough to deserve the title of "adult." It helps that they don't kick me out of bars anymore =P

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:10 pm UTC

I feel like even if I only have 3 or 4 drinks all night, (and sometimes only 2!) I feel shitty the next morning. It's not a bad bad hangover, but it does make me wonder how bad it would be if I did get trashed.

Health is underrated
eristic wrote:

'maybe'

Catch22

Postby Catch22 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:26 pm UTC

Yeah I also had one of my worst ever hangovers back when I was about 19 or 20. Drinking beer, shots (vodka?) and for some god awful reason, some cheap sangria if I recall correctly. I can only hope that was because we were out of beer.

I woke up in my bath tub with the water running (I vaguely remember that seeming like a good idea). When I tried to move and the pain of the headache and the nausea hit me, I was wishing for death. I think I almost pulled it off too.

Now a days, I usually only drink a lot when I know I can sleep it off the next day. But when the hangovers do hit, they are a bit heavier than they used to be, that's for sure.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:11 am UTC

I'll be 17 on the 19th.

abrenecki

Postby abrenecki » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:37 am UTC

April 10. That's Easter Saturday in '93.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:50 pm UTC

Clerria wrote:I did see that... (and understand your annoyance).

Sorry for responding so bluntly, even though I still think what I said is true, on a general level and not as a rebuttal against you personally.

Edit:

Even though it is pretty annoying, it is still because of our own sensitivity. He was probably only making that comment because he's used to being the youngest everywhere but there are a multitude of younger members here that make him feel older for once. And one not-well thought out comment later, he irritates someone who is much older than him.

To respond insultingly to a comment that was probably well intended is what I found to be oversensitive.

(Then I did something similar?)

That would be correct. You should also understand that my post was not singling him out.

Clerria wrote:Still... age definitely does not imply maturity

I have already made posts in other threads regarding this. Those who are interested in the feelings behind my comments may ask me and not attack me personally.

Clerria wrote:I obviously can't stop talking about this. I have a problem. I'm clearly oversensitive to misunderstandings.

I can't help you there, but I will try to make it clear why I get frustrated when young people feel "old". At (almost) 34, I feel great. I have never been sexier, smarter, or more fearless. I still feel like a kid and have the freedom to do what I want. At 21, I had been through (my version of) hell and back, so I can't discount the experiences of people of that age, or even younger. However, when somebody of that age claims to feel "old", it sounds like they are giving up on all the youth they still have. Frankly, I hate it when 30-year-olds start fretting about buying houses and getting "real jobs", not because they want to, but because that's what people do "at our age". I've got a mother who lives on an island and hikes it one side to the other almost every day. I've got a father who rides his Harley with his high-school sweetheart at least once a year. If you already feel old at 21, how the hell are you every going to keep it together for the next 40 or 50 years? It doesn't seem mature, it just seems sad. I guess I'd just rather feel frustration than pity.
Last edited by bookishbunny on Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Cai

Postby Cai » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:53 pm UTC

My birthday is not on the list, whoo! July 27th, 1990! I am a nineties child. :(
Dreamers never live, only dream of it.
first.am

Catch22

Postby Catch22 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:21 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:If you already feel old at 21, how the hell are you every going to keep it together for the next 40 or 50 years? It doesn't seem mature, it just seems sad. I guess I'd just rather feel frustration than pity.

Unfortunately, I think that's a perspective that only comes with age. "Youth is wasted on the young," as they say. It can make you feel old when you are worrying about the same issues you remember your parents having to worry about when you were a kid.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:27 pm UTC

Catch22 wrote:
bookishbunny wrote:If you already feel old at 21, how the hell are you every going to keep it together for the next 40 or 50 years? It doesn't seem mature, it just seems sad. I guess I'd just rather feel frustration than pity.

Unfortunately, I think that's a perspective that only comes with age. "Youth is wasted on the young," as they say. It can make you feel old when you are worrying about the same issues you remember your parents having to worry about when you were a kid.

I was going to use that phrase in there somewhere. Perhaps, though, with the right frame of mind, youth is granted to us again as we mature. Now I have to go kick my lover off of Zelda so I can play Okami. :)

ETA: Another great thing about being a grown-up: Jello-shots for breakfast!

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:35 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:Saying you feel old in your 20's does not lend you an air of maturity. It's like a 5-year-old stumbling into the room saying he's having a mid-life crisis. It's cute maybe once.

Unless you are a ballet dancer or gymnast, get over the big bad 20's. You're still children.

When I say it, I mean I literally feel old. Too many broken bones and dislocated joints. When the weather is bad, I feel like I should have a cane....
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

Catch22

Postby Catch22 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:48 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:ETA: Another great thing about being a grown-up: Jello-shots for breakfast!

It seems like there were all these things I wanted to do when I was a kid that I couldn't wait to grow up so no one could tell me I couldn't do them. Now...I can't really think of any of them. That is depressing.

Although, "Ice cream for breakfast" is not as appealing as it once was.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:01 pm UTC

Catch22 wrote:

Not for YOU, maybe...
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:17 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:
Catch22 wrote:

Not for YOU, maybe...

Ben & Jerry's Fossil Fuel for breakfast FTW! I find cake of almost any variety to also be a suitable way to start off the day.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:06 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:At (almost) 34, I feel great. I have never been sexier, smarter, or more fearless. I still feel like a kid and have the freedom to do what I want.

Damn straight!

Climbing trees and acting like a clown holds no fear for me, because I think anyone who would think less of me for that isn't worth any time. I'm independent and happy, in an awesome city. I actually get on with my parents.

Getting older for me means I have more money to do more interesting things.

Sorcyress

Postby Sorcyress » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:11 pm UTC

I appear to be the only one with a birthday on the 28th of August.

1989, at 3:20 PM if you want to get specific. Yeah. That's me.

~Sor

BlueNowhere

Postby BlueNowhere » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:41 am UTC

Someone put me down for November 24th.

I'll be 23 this year...
The Blue Nowhere

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:38 am UTC

May 19

I think "feeling old" is as much moving on as aging. I'm out of school, but whenever I think back to college I realize that the freshmen this year are 6 years younger than I am. So now I feel old compared to them because of the time that's passed since I experienced the things they're going through now. In terms of life, I'm quite young. I'm in decent shape, not too stupid, and have the majority of my life expectancy still ahead of me to do whatever I want.

Sorcyress

Postby Sorcyress » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:09 am UTC

I'm fairly young (and when it comes to most aspects of fandom, I feel very very young (Damn parents beng around for the advent of all the cool stuff like the start of Rocky Horror and Hitchhikers Guide just coming out and gaming and rar)) but I tend to hang out with people who are older then me. I just find them more sensible, I suppose.

Eighteen year olds aren't sensible? Who would've thought...

~Sor
MOOP!

chaosspawn

Postby chaosspawn » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:51 pm UTC

I claim Pi Day (Mar. 14).

I'm 22, young and stupid I suppose. Although ever since 20 the group of high school friends I still hang out with have been giving each other the 'over the hill' type birthday cards. When the last person of our group turns 20, we're going to going to have to hit a senior citizen's bingo night or some such silliness.
This space intentionally left blank.

TiberiusM

Postby TiberiusM » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:31 pm UTC

2nd of December, 1986. I'll be 21 this year, which I'm not really looking forward to. I don't drink, so the whole reason people get excited over being 21 doesn't apply to me. And I refuse to tell my birthday to anyone but my closest friends (and strangers), as I don't like celebrating my birthday and I can trust these people to not make a big deal over it. For the past two years, I've totally forgotten it was my birthday until I was reminded by a friend, thats how much I care about the whole ordeal.

I always feel that since its my birthday, I should be giving out presents, and not the other way around.

Vekter
Now I am become Beth, the employer of squirrels

Postby Vekter » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:33 pm UTC

Sor, your avatar is teh smex.

10/13/89 for me. A friday. >.> At 1:00 PM.

>_______>
:lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:

SoapyHobo wrote:Where there's penis, there's Narsil

>:3

Sorcyress

Postby Sorcyress » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:05 pm UTC

Vekter wrote:Sor, your avatar is teh smex.

Thank you! The Sluggy Freelance forums, where I used to post a lot, had this lovely guy who was the official Avatar Pimp. He made me a gorgeous pirate avie that I used for ages and ages everywhere.

When I moved up to Boston for college, he gave me this one as a present. So I can't at all take credit for the seksayness, sadly.

(Though, it is meant to be me, so I suppose...hmmmmmm...)

~Sor
MOOP!

that1dude

Postby that1dude » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:38 pm UTC

It's my birthday today.
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

A:42

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:39 pm UTC

It's not my birthday
It's not today
It's not my birthday,
so why do you lunge out at me?

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Re: Fora member birthdays

Postby SoapyHobo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:00 am UTC

Apparently we can see whose birthday it is at the bottom of the forum's main page (if you set your birthdate in your profile).
So Happy Birthday zigdon :D
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Re: Fora member birthdays

Postby b.i.o » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:07 am UTC

Mine's the 30th...2 more days :)

Return to “General”