What's in a name?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

What's in a name?

Postby parkaboy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:05 pm UTC

NAAAME name names, some of my friends and I were just discussing our names, what they mean, where they came from, if they are family names and what not, and i got to thinking "hey, names are pretty cool!"

My first and middle named are both Hebrew, Rachael meaning "ewe" or "lamb", Ann "favor" or "grace". Neither of my parents are religious, and i've never bothered to ask why they picked Rachael. Ann is my grandmothers name, and a fairly common middle name in my family, so that one makes sense regardless of its origin.

So, what about your name? Where is it from? Do you think it suits you? Don't care? Lets talk about nAAAAaaaaAAMEEES!!!

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Re: What's in a name?

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:10 pm UTC

From Kynthos. A Grecian moon goddess. I have a mediterranean appearance, and have genes from southeast of there (well, originally from the Caucasus mountains, but moved south into Egypt). So, racially it fits a tad. Unfortunately, I haven't found an abstract concept type meaning for the name.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

I'm a Heather. I was once informed that there's a rule that Heathers are automatically hot, which I have not broken ;). I was later told (by someone who has a lot less to lose by possibly offending me) that there are additional rules to being a Heather -- but alas, I have been unable to find this mystical list.

I'm sure I've heard the supposed meaning of the name several times, but I can't remember any of them right now. I'd look it up, but on the interwebs I'm likely to find a variety of things that add up to it meaning an outgoing introvert with a drinking problem. It's not a family name -- my parents chose it specifically so it couldn't be abbreviated or nicknamed.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:16 pm UTC

Heheh, I was thinking about starting this thread yesterday! Is there something in the air?

I love my name, which is Richard. Apparently comes from the German for Strong Leader (which is pretty cool), but really is a quintessentially English name. Seemingly highly respectable, which I, er, can be sometimes.

Kithplana wrote:my parents chose it specifically so it couldn't be abbreviated or nicknamed.
..do you mind that? I'd be thinking "you bastards."
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

My family (and extended family) does the passing-down-names-from-ancestors for both boy and girl children, and I'm pretty proud of that, that there aren't any random-trendy-names-from-a-baby-book among us. I was named after my grandmother and my middle name is from my great-grandmother (my maternal grandfather's mother, who was still alive when I was growing up).

I used to think it was weird and ill-fitting, but I've grown to really like and identify with my first name, and the fact that people around me are unlikely to know more than one : p. Sometimes people who see my name expect that I'm a somewhat older lady (I'm in my early twenties) but that doesn't bother me. (I think part of that's an American thing -- I think Helens skew much younger if you're British.)

Downside is I can't figure a way to make any of my names gender-neutral, but I'm still brainstorming on that.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:22 pm UTC

Many common Western names are Romanized Hebrew in origin, probably because of the Christian connection. Mine is an example: it comes from the eldest son of Jacob, according to the Old Testament. Likewise my middle name, David - named for one of my maternal great-grandfathers (it is an Ashkenazi tradition to name children after deceased relatives) - has its origin in the biblical King of Ancient Israel. My surname, Saunders, was (I believe) adopted by my paternal grandfather. Since he is a Cohen (as, therefore, am I), it seems likely that this was the original family name. The exact original meaning of the name "Cohen" is lost to antiquity, but it denotes membership of a Jewish priestly caste who are direct patrilineal descendants of one of the High Priests of biblical times.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Token

Postby Token » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

My name's just a version of John, which is fairly uninteresting, but it does come with the distinction that no one ever spells it right without me having to spell it out for them.

Some rapid fire responses - Kynthos was (and is) the mountain, not the goddess; I know two Heathers who are both fairly unattractive, so someone is not properly enforcing that rule; I also know several Helens, the oldest being 20 - I'm surprised that I'm surprised that different names might be associated with different ages in different countries.
All posts are works in progress. If I posted something within the last hour, chances are I'm still editing it.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:30 pm UTC

Jessica is my name, which i've come to like. My mum seems to have bucked the trend in our family, giving me and my siblings more 'British' sounding names, rather than some of the Jamaican/randomly trendy names of my cousins (Nechantae, Tamsy, Regan, Nekeysha, Sharmaine etc).

I remember randomly reading one of those keyrings with details about your name, which said something about 'Jessica' having Hebrew origins. Not to sure how correct that 99p keyring was.
i dare you to take me on...

Token

Postby Token » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

tin wrote:I remember randomly reading one of those keyrings with details about your name, which said something about 'Jessica' having Hebrew origins. Not to sure how correct that 99p keyring was.

If you want an untrustworthy source, you can't do much better than Wikipedia.
All posts are works in progress. If I posted something within the last hour, chances are I'm still editing it.

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

It came from a film. Seriously.

Geeky film character reminded my mum of my dad, running joke got transferred to unborn baby, I ended up with name.

[Edit] I suppose originally it obviously didn't come from a 1980s film, but that's how it got attached to me, and therefore that's all the significance it has in relation to myself.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

My real name is Benjamin (who here would have guessed?). I has originally going to be Jacob, but a cousin of mine was born first, and they named him Jacob, so Jacob is now my middle name. Benjamin means "Exalted One" or, more commonly, "Son of the Right Hand." Biblically, it comes form the twelfth and youngest son of Jacob.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:36 pm UTC

@Token:

Wikipedia, and several other sites and books, at that wrote:personal name of Greek origin meaning "from Mount Cynthus." It can be abbreviated as Cindy. Cynthia was originally an epithet of the Greek goddess of the moon, Artemis, who was sometimes called "Cynthia" because, according to legend, the goddess was born on Mount Cynthus.

QED?

Interestingly, Cynthus and Kynthos are interchangeable. Am I like Artemis? I don't know.

I won't reveal my SO's name, but tara appears numerous times in the Asian (and its islands') mythology.

* Tara (Buddhism), a female deity representing enlightened activity and fearlessness
* Tara (Polynesian goddess), a beautiful sea goddess
* Tara (Devi), a Mahavidya of Mahadevi, Kali or Parvati. (Hindu)
* Another name for Taraka, the second wife of Brihaspati (Hindu)
* Tara (Ramayana), the wife of the monkey king Vali, who married Vali's brother and successor, Sugriva, after Vali's death. (Hindu)

Despite this, she is porcelain pale. However, she does fit the first two descriptions, and maybe more.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

Token

Postby Token » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

Yes, it's a small distinction, but Kynthos != Kynthia. Kynthia literally means "woman of Kynthos" - that's a fairly common trick in classical languages.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:45 pm UTC

'Of' being mostly interchangeable with 'from' in this case (woman of Kynthos), it should be noted that 'From Kynthos' works perfectly fine, and we didn't have to go through this whole song and dance.

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:51 pm UTC

My name, Denby, just means from Denmark, or Home of the Danes....
Everyone fought over what to call me when I was born, so my mother just picked a random name out of a book of names.

I've yet to meet another Denby, though they do exist...
I like my name.
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Token

Postby Token » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:51 pm UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:'Of' being mostly interchangeable with 'from' in this case (woman of Kynthos), it should be noted that 'From Kynthos' works perfectly fine, and we didn't have to go through this whole song and dance.

Well, that all depends on in what sense you are using the word "from". And I happen to be both very pedantic and trying to convince myself that all those years they made me study Ancient Greek weren't a colossal waste of time.

EDIT: Yes! Minor life goal - use the word "pedantic" in both senses simultaneously: achieved.

... Sorry.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:54 pm UTC

Denby? That is an interesting name.

Kineticka

Postby Kineticka » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:56 pm UTC

I'm Donna, which is Italian for "Lady." My mother's side is Italian, and she wanted me to be a little lady.

Naturally, I grew up as a hell of a tomboy, although I've become a lot more feminine in recent years. :) It doesn't seem to be a particularly common name, though, so I rarely get confused with other people.

Zak

Postby Zak » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:57 pm UTC

Zachary apparently means "remembered by God" which is strange, as i really dont believe in god...
*waggles eyebrows*

Token

Postby Token » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:58 pm UTC

Z.A.K wrote:Zachary apparently means "remembered by God" which is strange, as i really dont believe in god...

All the more reason for him to remember you... "mental note: don't forget to condemn Zachary to eternal hellfire".

Zak

Postby Zak » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:00 pm UTC

Maybe it's like Jurassic Park, but instead of dinos, it's with deities!

If i don't believe in him, he can't see me, right?
*waggles eyebrows*

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:00 pm UTC

Z.A.K wrote:Zachary apparently means "remembered by God" which is strange, as i really dont believe in god...

But he believes in you.

Ceorle

Postby Ceorle » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:02 pm UTC

DJorgensen wrote:I've yet to meet another Denby, though they do exist...
I like my name.

Congrats, I wish I had a more unique name. As it stands, I'm Karl, a fairly normal name 'round here, which hasn't been trendy in a while. It also means "free man", so it would apparently designate me a member of the free peasantry. Special. It is still an old norse name, so it's not all bad, but I would've liked to be called Sigurd or something else with a little character to it. I know a Vidar...

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:10 pm UTC

@ Insignificant Deification &Ceorle : thx ^^; My name really suits me. I don't know how I was so lucky to get it.
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:14 pm UTC

According to my first name, I'm a guard who collects tolls at crossroads. I'd like to think this extends to being a sort of medival highway cop.

On another note, I have a friend whose full name means 'Desireable Feminine Prostitute'. Wonderful person.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:16 pm UTC

Cassandra: I've found various meanings, though some seem to be a description of who Cassandra was, rather than what Cassandra means. "She who entangles men" is the one I found today, though, and is fairly close to what I usually find. My mum wanted me to have a name that could be shortened, and she heard Cassandra on a soap opera...thought it was pretty, and the character had multiple personalities, all with variants of Cassandra, proving it could be shortened... (I do not actually like any shortened versions of my name. I go by Cassi online simply because it is easier to type.)

Marie: "bitter" Named after my grandmother. (My grandmother's middle name, but it's what she goes by.)

Gilbert: Bright or famous noble youth

So, a bitter, bright noble youth who entangles men?
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:16 pm UTC

According wiki... "The name [Chloe] comes from Greek Χλοη (khloē), meaning "green shoot".
I don't think my parents chose it for any reason other than it being a nice name.

Zak

Postby Zak » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

Kay, so my first name means "The Lord has remembered" my middle name means "Bear-like" and my last name is from austria, and for the life of me, i cannot find any meaning for it.
*waggles eyebrows*

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:26 pm UTC

Okay, looking at all my names, it's (in order) Strong leader; warrior; of the valley; of the wood.

Damn, that's pretty cool.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

Trying to look up meanings is one of the rare times I prefer my last name to my mother's. If I try to find a meaning for her last name, I just get a lot of information about people with that last name (generally about half of the first page of google will be fairly close family members).
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

My parents decided that they didn't want to take either of their names, or hyphenate anything. So they took the last three letters from my father's last name ('ker') and the last three from my mothers ('mes') and combined them to make my last name, Kermes.

Even though they'd basically made up a last name, we still used to get junkmail that claimed to be able to trace our family back through twelve generations of Kermeses. We never took them up on their offer, but I was always kind of curious what kind of shit they'd spin.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

apeman5291

Postby apeman5291 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:40 pm UTC

Token wrote:My name's just a version of John, which is fairly uninteresting, but it does come with the distinction that no one ever spells it right without me having to spell it out for them.

Me too, all of it.

My first and middle names are Ian McKenzie, they come from my dad's side of the family. I think Ian means "God is gracious". My last name is fairly bland in comparison, and it won't be disclosed here for privacy's sake.
What you don't understand, you can make mean anything.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:41 pm UTC

My name's Zachary, an English version of Hebrew Zecharaiah--"god remembered".
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:43 pm UTC

My name is Tim, which comes from the Ancient Egyptian for "the sound one makes when banging their shin on a coffee table". My middle name is Los Diabolicus, which comes from the Latin for "Hurry up, Mildred, we haven't got all day." Finally, my surname is Cunt, which derives from the ancient Greek for "whimsical bicycle salesman".
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:46 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:My name is Tim, which comes from the Ancient Egyptian for "the sound one makes when banging their shin on a coffee table". My middle name is Los Diabolicus, which comes from the Latin for "Hurry up, Mildred, we haven't got all day." Finally, my surname is Cunt, which derives from the ancient Greek for "whimsical bicycle salesman".
Don't DO that to me, you bastard, I have tonsillitis.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:48 pm UTC

:shock: That was. . . good. :D

Semidi

Postby Semidi » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:00 am UTC

My full name is Joseph. Notably it appears twice in the Bible. The first Joseph had a seriously bitchin' coat and his ass-hole brothers sold him into slavery. The second Joseph had his virgin fiancée banged by God on the sly; when Joseph found out he was cool with it, maybe it even turned him on--some guys are into that.

Yeah. It means, "God will increase," Which is a stupid thing to mean.
"If you can't imagine how anyone could hold a view you are attacking, you just don't understand it yet."

Token

Postby Token » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:07 am UTC

Jumping on the meaning bandwagon:

Let's see... we've got "God is gracious" (after some heavy corruption), "strong/manly/courageous", and then a Scottish clan name which apparently means my ancestors lived near the River Ro in Northern Ireland.

apeman5291 wrote:My first and middle names are Ian McKenzie, they come from my dad's side of the family. I think Ian means "God is gracious". My last name is fairly bland in comparison, and it won't be disclosed here for privacy's sake.

Wait, what? Ian is easy to spell (according to everyone who's ever had to write down my name, at least).

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:26 am UTC

My name (Brendan) is of Irish, Gaelic and Celtic origin, meaning "Prince".

My middle name is just my grandfather's first name (John).

My last name is fairly self-explanatory coming from a british(Welsh) background (Cook).

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:32 am UTC

According to all the meanings put together, my name means I am an unnaturally pale crown-wearing man bringing the peace of God.

On a sidenote, Geoffrey was a variant of the name Godfrey, which means it's perfectly acceptable to call me God.
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

Return to “General”