Insomnia

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: Insomnia

Postby Felstaff » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:22 am UTC

Oh, to suffer the simple insomnia of watching falling Tetris blocks on the inside of your eyelids.

It was usually a sign that one played Tetris too much.

Now I realise that watching falling Tetris blocks and mentally fitting them was akin to counting sheep and would help induce sleep, rather than hinder. I've taken to playing Windows Tetris (the one for Windows '95) because it has highly garish coloured blocks for ease of burning them onto my retinas. It's all in the name of sleepscience.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:24 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:Oh, to suffer the simple insomnia of watching scrolling DDR arrows on the inside of your eyelids.

It was usually a sign that one played DDR too much.

changed to reflect my past experiences. i havent played in some time though, so its not a problem anymore. yet.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:33 am UTC

Ati wrote:I can never shut my brain down long enough to get some sleep. Music helps, since it overrides the subvocalization response, but I have to keep finding fresh music, or my brain tunes it out.

I'm mostly with you on this one, but thankfully haven't really needed fresh music. I usually do switch it up fairly often, but I have a hard time balancing between what I know works (neo-folk kind of stuff that's actually calming) and what I'm listening to lately. Thing is, half the time what I'll be listening to lately will be metal or rap or ebm, and then it'll get me to sleep at some point, but also wake me up again halfway through the night. *sigh*

...can't sleep... iced earth will eat me...

Felstaff wrote:I doped myself up real good last night, as the tyranny of a head cold wrapped its stuffy claws around my sinii.

Night Nurse, a few paracetamol, two shots of 45% (85 proof?) whiskey, some echinacea tablets (for period pains, apparently), olbas oil injected into my nasal cavities, and a good hard suck on a lemon.

Knocked me out cold in minutes. And I'm an insomniac.

My god, that's insane. And yet I can't help almost admire it. I've been taking three kinds of decongestants plus that olbas stuff (not the oil, just the stick with air de god knows what in the bottom that you get to discreetly shove up your nose and huff like you have no problems whatsoever) and aspirin to deal with the sinus pressure bringing on headaches (and can I PLEASE have my ears back now??). Meanwhile, I still cannot breathe for more than about four hours at a time, so I just woke up at five ten in the morning with no hope of getting back to sleep.

I've had insomnia (not as bad as some here, certainly) since I was very young. I've never been able to fall asleep if it's too hot (this, in my world, is about seventy one degrees and up), too loud, too bright, etc. It usually takes me an hour to fall asleep even if everything is perfect due what is likely quite similar to the OPs racing thoughts. On bad nights, that can be three or more hours, or it can just be the "I only get two hours of sleep at a time" model, wherein theoretically I get six hours of sleep, but it took me from ten pm until eight am to do it, and I'm likely never hitting REM.

Thankfully, my body does seem to have a failure switch where if I get so damned tired I'm not functioning well, I can fall asleep comparatively quickly - every once in a while I'll wake up in the same position I laid down in, and it's always kind of shocking. :)

It amused the hell out of me when one of my coworkers mentioned some article or other she'd been reading stating that lack of sleep adversely affected mental agility, and was, in fact, cumulative (ie you don't get enough sleep the first night, you're slightly lost, second night still not enough, you're very lost, etc) Just imagine - if we managed to find a way to overcome our insomnia, we'd clearly be ready to solve all the world's ills. :P
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:11 pm UTC

The fora is my NoDoz. Get off the fora, and I'm fine.

In reality, though, I usually have trouble sleeping when I absolutely need to sleep in preparation for some event the next day.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:14 pm UTC

Week before an exam usually = No sleep for Pontus.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:47 pm UTC

I usually get 3 hours a day during the school week, and 10 hours during the weekend but even after a long sleep I'm still tired... The bags under my eyes are unbelievible. Since I've started smoking weed I've had the first good night of sleep in atleast 2 years. I might smoke a joint after school between 3:00am and 4:00am. Then when I go to bed I pass out after minutes rather then hours.
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:26 pm UTC

i find that masturbating to completion puts me to sleep very quickly afterwards.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Postby Ati » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:49 pm UTC

Well that's a new one...

You know how in dune, people had those bright glowing blue eyes? I was getting that yesterday, for about thirty seconds. Dizzy spells, too. Oh, and my facebook profile pic was moving.

/slept two hours every night for three days
I can kill you with my brain.

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:30 pm UTC

It takes me hours to get to sleep normally. I've found, however, that if I listen to music for 30 mins I fall asleep really quickly after that. I guess it clears my brain of all the shit I've done that day.
Londo: Maybe it was something I said?
G'Kar: Maybe it is everything you say.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:59 am UTC

Chrismclegless wrote:It takes me hours to get to sleep normally. I've found, however, that if I listen to music for 30 mins I fall asleep really quickly after that. I guess it clears my brain of all the shit I've done that day.

I listen to death metal or groove metal before I sleep. Sometimes while I sleep. Whenever I get time alone in the house (for like a week or so) I'll just hook my iPod upto the speakers, and fall asleep with the volume just loud enough to stimulate me, but quiet enough to not wake the neighbours. Headphones annoy the shit out of me when I try to sleep with them on.

It's strange that really aggressive metal has that effect on me. Oh well.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

theamberkey

Postby theamberkey » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

Fuck insomnia.

I have to get up. I've been trying to sleep. I can't sleep.

Maybe I'll try this music thing you guys have mentioned.
A silver spoon and a packet of sugar cubes are the artifacts of the ritual: the vajrakaliya, the cross, the blood of the lamb....
-The Amber Key

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:37 pm UTC

theamberkey wrote:Fuck insomnia.

I have to get up. I've been trying to sleep. I can't sleep.

Maybe I'll try this music thing you guys have mentioned.

Do it. It can only help. Use music that calms you. Metal does it for me, but for some people it's jazz, or classical, or indie, or whatever. :D
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

ascendingPig

Postby ascendingPig » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

I have awful insomnia. I didn't sleep for 42 hours before taking my PSATs.
"Many facts can fill an empty head."
-- Karl Kraus

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Wed May 07, 2008 1:51 am UTC

I can never seem to sleep when I need it. My mind always races about anything and everything that happened that day/recent past/possible future/other random crap.

However, when I'm in bed randomly doing something like playing GBA games, or reading, I can never keep my eyes open, and when I stop and try to sleep, 10 minutes later I'm wide awake and I keep doing whatever I was doing. Then, after another 10 minutes or so I get sleepy again. And the cycle repeats itself.
Spoiler:

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Wed May 07, 2008 1:58 am UTC

I fairly sure this was mentioned before, but school textbooks or similar reading material usually bring me down. It doesn't seem matter how much I've already slept; if I begin reading, pretty soon I'll find myself hunched over with my head on my desk, jumping in and out of consciousness.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Wed May 07, 2008 2:45 am UTC

Yup.

Suggestions:

Don't use your bed for anything but sleeping -- no reading, writing, listening to music...sex? Well, get creative.
5-HTP (nutritional supplement)
Cut down your caffeine intake, especially later in the day
Believe it or not, alcohol messes with your sleep patterns as well -- doesn't give you insomnia directly, but makes your sleep lest restful, which in the long run, makes you more tired.
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

elminster

Postby elminster » Wed May 07, 2008 3:16 am UTC

I'm pretty sure I live a 26-28 hour day. I always seem to be feeling awake an extra 2 to 4 hours. Most of the time it doesn't do anything, some of the time it plays havok and a small number of cases it really screws things up.
I usually get black spiders as visual hallucinations (I must have seen that over 100 times now), although the worst was a large black butterfly fluttering close to the left side of my head. Weirdest one was where, due to the location of my P180b case, it looked half my room was actually the scene outside a window looking at a church (Yeah, that freaked me out a little). I do get irritable and there have been lengthy arguments over relatively small things due to that. I suffer from lack of concentration, depersonalisation, rather obvious dark circles under the eyes, sometimes random muscle twitching, depression, among others. Basically, pretty much every single negative effect related to sleep deprivation at one point or another. Worst part about it is memory, which rapidly degrades sometimes to the point where normal conversation gets extremely broken.

One time, after a night of about 4hrs sleep I did the shopping (20min there an back walking with 5 bags full), did a workout; went for a run; took a long shower; sat down and relaxed for a while before bed; drank some warm milk; tried slightly over recommended dose of herbal sleeping pills (Oddly the warning on those are "May become too sleepy" or something to that effect); cleared my mind.... then laid awake for the next 4hours before getting up for a while and trying again in a bit. I couldn't get to sleep till 6am that day.

Most of the time mind is in overdrive and thinking about the certain topics shortly before going to bed can make the difference between sleep or no sleep. Since I'm also a natural radiator, I can't sleep when it gets hot in my room and I actually prefer sleeping in a temperature where most would shiver just sitting down in the room.

It's kind of ironic because I spent a lot of time when I was younger trying to stay awake and in those days I even got to sleep with heavy metal playing in headphones quite a few times.

I've tried a number of herbal sleeping products, a few supplements, over the counter stuff and I've been to the doctor to get something done about it, all with varying success; nothing that I'd call a solution.

Edit: It's 7am :?

micco

Postby micco » Wed May 07, 2008 1:42 pm UTC

I do suffer from insomnia sometimes, usually when the moon is full. Insomnia it self is annoying enough, but it`s even more annoying if you get hypnagogic hallucinations as well.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Wed May 07, 2008 1:46 pm UTC

elminster wrote:P180b case

props to the p180. i cleaned out my front dust screens the other day and realized why the inside still looked so clean.

guess i'm not cool enough to have trouble sleeping though...

i've stayed up for a few days straight but that was just cause of the drugs..

it became worth it when things started getting wavy

Return to “General”