Flaunt What You've Got!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Flaunt What You've Got!

Postby Mathmagic » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:41 am UTC

Or what you *haven't* got. ;)

What I mean is, what kind of educational background do you have? What level of education are you in NOW? What's the farthest you've gone? (No, not THAT! That's for ANOTHER thread!)

I'm basically creating this thread because I'm too lazy to read through all 200-or-so "Introduction Thread" replies to find out all this information. Besides, who DOESN'T love a shiny new topic to post in?

Anywho, I'm in first-year university at the University of Calgary, enrolled in the Physics program... I'm really not all that knowlegable in ANYTHING, unless you need me to debate with you about how the "centrifugal force" doesn't really exist or talk about how cool photons really are.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:42 am UTC

I'm currently in month 8 or so of the real world.

It has been very educational.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:44 am UTC

Senior in high school.

No idea what I'm doing in the future.

College plans, so far, include:
Going to the community college this summer, next year, and next summer (plus AP credit).
Then, my sophomore year, I should be able to transfer as in as a junior.

Yay for saving money! :D

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:46 am UTC

I'm starting Uni next month, a computer science/games course.

Other than that, got a 94.7 enter score in year 12 (Highest score for a guy at my school this year), and lots of cool maths and science awards. Like, top of state for year level and stuff, but thats not really the education part.

Oh and I am sincerely hoping for all the protons making up certain people such as john howard and bush to decay all at once. Just thought I'd chuck that in.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:50 am UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:Oh and I am sincerely hoping for all the protons making up certain people such as john howard and bush to decay all at once. Just thought I'd chuck that in.

1. I don't know who'd succeed Howard if he went down. Here in the States we've got Dick Cheney. I don't think it would do any good.

2. If that happened it would cause mass hysteria and paranoia. If that's what you want, fine, but if what you want is orderly transfer of power you'll probably be disappointed.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:52 am UTC

All these good ideas shot down just because they wont work. :(
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:57 am UTC

Senior in high school.

Hopefully starting uni the year after next, going into pure maths. Hopefully, because I have no way to pay at the moment.

Kas

Postby Kas » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:57 am UTC

I'm just heading into my second semester at the local community college.

Going to transfer out in 3 more semesters with an Associate's Degree in Philosophy.

Whee.
"I love all those who are heavy drops, falling one by one out of the dark cloud that hangs over men: they herald as the advent of lightning, and, as heralds, they perish."
-Nietzsche

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:58 am UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:I'm starting Uni next month, a computer science/games course.

Other than that, got a 94.7 enter score in year 12 (Highest score for a guy at my school this year), and lots of cool maths and science awards. Like, top of state for year level and stuff, but thats not really the education part.

Oh and I am sincerely hoping for all the protons making up certain people such as john howard and bush to decay all at once. Just thought I'd chuck that in.

Wow! Congrats! :D

Which university are you going to?
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:00 am UTC

Swinburne, enrolled on thursday. Looks like an interesting course anyway :D

Website

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:14 am UTC

pair of jacks
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:53 am UTC

Very nice, Toe. Hawthorn campus?

Edit: crap, should probably say something about myself. I'm in my fifth and final year of aerospace and mechanical engineering, after which I shall be forced to enter the Real World (TM). Unless I magically pull off the marks to get a Masters place.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:03 am UTC

Yeah, mostly hawthorn, one subject is in prahran though.

i think a couple of friends were thinking of doing enginerring of some sort, but i cant remember what they got into >.>

So is it good or bad entering the real world for you hawk? :P

Website

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:05 am UTC

Responsibility?

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:11 am UTC

Second year of uni. I do not know who would even succeed Howard. I don't care. I should care, considering I'm supposed to vote at some stage soon. I should also register.

Air Gear

Postby Air Gear » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:13 am UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:Oh and I am sincerely hoping for all the protons making up certain people such as john howard and bush to decay all at once. Just thought I'd chuck that in.

I was going to make a comment about what all the excess negative charge would do until I looked it up and saw that the proton would decay into a positron and two gamma rays. So gotta say...that case is even WORSE since we'd have, like, 10^27 electron/positron pairs or something annihilating at once. That couldn't be good. Even excluding the nuclear explosion, there are all the gamma rays...man.

Anyway, education: senior in college (though on leave at the moment) in math/physics, done with everything except abstract algebra and thesis (well, plus the humanities gen ed; bah). Here's hoping grad school in math works afterward since gotta avoid reality...

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:17 am UTC

Air Gear wrote:

I was going to make a comment about what all the excess negative charge would do until I looked it up and saw that the proton would decay into a positron and two gamma rays.

Yeah, I was actually thinking the same thing, but I didn't exactly KNOW what the outcome would be of a large number of simultaneously rapidly decaying protons would be, other than it would NOT be good. :P
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:19 am UTC

Air Gear wrote:

I was going to make a comment about what all the excess negative charge would do until I looked it up and saw that the proton would decay into a positron and two gamma rays. So gotta say...that case is even WORSE since we'd have, like, 10^27 electron/positron pairs or something annihilating at once. That couldn't be good. Even excluding the nuclear explosion, there are all the gamma rays...man.

Anyway, education: senior in college (though on leave at the moment) in math/physics, done with everything except abstract algebra and thesis (well, plus the humanities gen ed; bah). Here's hoping grad school in math works afterward since gotta avoid reality...

FINE. pfft. Then, just enough can decay to give them a fast acting cancer. Loads of people get cancer anyway, so it shouldnt cause too much panic.

Website

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:25 am UTC

Right now I'm in an erasmus year for my law with spanish degree. I'm hoping to go into intellectual property though so at the moment I'm trying to see if I can find some sort of conversion to physics (what do you mean I've done it backwards?). It's an impossible task though. there are all sorts of conversions to comp-sci for anybody who can work a computer interface of some description, but physics actually requires some skill, it would seem, so there's not too much hope for a guy whose highest claim in physics is an A at dual award Science GCSE.

for the sake of needless exposition, I'm currently on a mid 2:1, but I'm lead to believe that there's some odd grade twerking that goes on that means I'm actually looking much closer to a Jeff... actually, it might be a Geoff. Either way, if that's true then it'd be very useful in becoming a barrister, cos there's no way I'm becoming a solicitor and, without a physics degree, patent agent is looking tricky
Heaven is for the hedonist

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:32 am UTC

8 inches.

Oh, did I walk into the wrong thread?

Seriously though; I'm a senior in high school. I plan to attend either ITT or join the Navy/Marines.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

darkzealot89

Postby darkzealot89 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:35 am UTC

I am a Junior in High School, with plans to move on to the University of Louisville J.B. Speed school. My major will more thank likely be Computer Engineering or Computer Science. Either way, I have a multitude of paths to take. I currently work at a local ISP called BluegrassNet here in Louisville as a Level 1 Tech.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:10 am UTC

Graduated 2003 with a degree in psychology and a minor in drama. Since then, I've been working for the state in protective services as an abuse/neglect investigator, and now at the hotline for reporting abuse.

And one of these days, I'm going to get my ass back in school and study behavioral medicine.

PS: You guys are making me feel old again.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

Linoc

Postby Linoc » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:30 am UTC

I'm currently a freshman by year sophomore by credit hours at Georgia Tech studying Physics.
Hum.. also thinking about double majoring in either Math or CompSci, unsure as of yet however

Babbler

Postby Babbler » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:31 am UTC

Going for a B.Sc. in Earth Sciences, first year.

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:22 am UTC

*Starting* arts at melbourne uni *this year* to stave off real decisions...maybe joining the diplomatic service later on, but we'll see.

*edits*
Last edited by German Sausage on Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

digitrev

Postby digitrev » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:38 am UTC

Doing the first year of a double honours Math/Physics with Co-op at Carleton University. That'll be about 5 years of education, at my rate. For those of you who don't know, it's located in Ottawa. If you don't know where that is, I direct you to Wikipedia.
Together we will make the octopus nervous.

Axolotl

Postby Axolotl » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:12 am UTC

no-genius wrote:pair of jacks

I fold :?

I'll be going into first year uni either this year or next; I've deferred for a semester while I try to get over whatever it is that's wrong with me at the moment. I'll be doing Arts at La Trobe, and aside from the whole worrying whether I'll be up to getting there side of things, I'm looking forward to it. There are plenty of interesting subjects, and the power to choose freely between them - I'll probably start off towards a major in Politics and/or Philosophy, and see what happens. After that, no idea. Perhaps: unemployment. But EDUCATED unemployment.

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:44 am UTC

year 11 at school

currently doing physics, chem, intro calc and english lit.

no idea where i'm going though
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:49 am UTC

digitrev wrote:Doing the first year of a double honours Math/Physics with Co-op at Carleton University. That'll be about 5 years of education, at my rate.

Woo! I'm in my 2nd yr of Physics and Maths at Sussex uni. and i have a lecture in 3 hours :(
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Lenale

Postby Lenale » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:03 am UTC

Third year in physics, did a gap year disguised as a year in law before that, so am amazingly old :P

I hope against all hopes to complete my bachelor's sometime this calendar year.
Physics is like sex. It might give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.
--Richard Feynmann

thedesk
Mathemagician

Postby thedesk » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:06 am UTC

2nd year math major at Iowa State. Slowly coming to grips with the fact that Ames breeds alcoholics.
Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back.
-Piet Hein

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:33 pm UTC

In year 2 of the so-called 'real world'. (Note: nothing like the MTV version)
Graduated in '05 with a BS in Computer Science, and the company that I interned at gave me a job :)
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:40 pm UTC

Finished college with nothing to show but Film Studies, English Literature and some Computing to show for it.

Ended up in a year long stint at ASDA (Wal*Mart) but finally realised what a loser I am. Bought a bookshop, move in at the end of Ferbuary. Also attempting a career in poetry and comic books.

The only thing that makes me fit in here is I love science and maths, even if I'm bad at it.

veridical

Postby veridical » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:57 pm UTC

Junior in high school slash freshman in college. I'm in an early college program where I take courses at the University of North Texas thereby finishing ~2 years of college and getting a diploma. Hoping to go to some fancy-schmancy university like Stanford or something once I get my diploma here. Planning on going into mathematics, but I'm not really sure.
My school
(Everybody at my school is socially retarded, by the way)
All hail the atheist.

Sufimoru

Postby Sufimoru » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:48 pm UTC

High school degree and ten months experience in the retail world (Which is LIKE the real world except you're everyone's bitch, instead of just your boss's bitch).

Looking to change worlds and also go to a university. Dunno when I'll change to a non-retail world but starting uni in the fall.

dekonstruct

Postby dekonstruct » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:13 pm UTC

graduated from Columbus College of Art and Design in Columbus Ohio, with a degree in time based media which is a combination of computer and traditional animation, with video and interactive (web) design thrown in. It was great fun and I miss it. I'm currently a couple years in the real world. A few good gigs under my belt, still looking for that dream job.

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:42 pm UTC

Second quarter of first year at a university.
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

Judas Maccabeus

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:38 pm UTC

I'm in my junior year at university. Since I had to eventually pick a degree I went with history, but my main problem is that my interests and to a lesser extent abilities are so evenly spread out it's hard to pick one that would work best...

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Grincement » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:40 pm UTC

Woo I beat you all, I have 10GCSEs :D
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:13 pm UTC

I'm a sophomore in high school.
I've been in loads of Honors classes and I'm taking AP psychology next year.
I want to be a novelist when I grow up. Or an English professor.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Return to “General”