Flaunt What You've Got!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Lenale

Postby Lenale » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:17 pm UTC

Squeak wrote:Woo I beat you all, I have 10GCSEs :D

I've got 19. I said to the guy that made the timetable "Give me whatever fits, as long as I can take Music and don't have to do German."

My classmates hated me. Most of them had period 2, 3 and 4 free on Mondays but had to turn up for 1 all the same.
Physics is like sex. It might give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.
--Richard Feynmann

aisling
Has (underage) boobs

Postby aisling » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:02 pm UTC

Grade 10 at highschool.. But for the future, I will be going to cooking school. Like, it has to happen. I won't let it not happen. I'm an academic student, too, if that makes any difference. And I take french immersion classes. Woot.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:07 pm UTC

I've got a funny story about cooking school actually...

This guy I know (he's a sous-chef where I work) was telling me how he got involved in cooking and whatnot, and he told me about this time he was talking to his career counsellor. So anyway, the counsellor asks him what his plans were once he finished high school, and when he told her he wanted to go to cooking school, she laughed. She told him that cooking school was a waste (he got 90s in grade 12) because the grade requirements for it were so low (like, 50s). But that didn't change his mind. He still went and got his Red Seal, but yeah, he actually makes less money than some of the regular cooks at our restaurant because he's on salary and everybody else is on wage. :razz:
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:56 pm UTC

Yeah, it's strange... so many people judge of the worth of schools by score requirements, of jobs by their posted requirements (if I don't use every bit of my degree I'm not interested!), of products with price. The more you can see through that the more choices you give yourself!
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:25 am UTC

Yeah, i got a score like, 20 higher than i needed for my course >.>

Loads of people expected me to be going to some high level thing at melbourne.

Oh and i'm somewhere between grade six and seven piano, by the AMEB scale thing, not sure how widely used it is.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Air Gear

Postby Air Gear » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:38 am UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:
Air Gear wrote:
Toeofdoom wrote:Oh and I am sincerely hoping for all the protons making up certain people such as john howard and bush to decay all at once. Just thought I'd chuck that in.

I was going to make a comment about what all the excess negative charge would do until I looked it up and saw that the proton would decay into a positron and two gamma rays. So gotta say...that case is even WORSE since we'd have, like, 10^27 electron/positron pairs or something annihilating at once. That couldn't be good. Even excluding the nuclear explosion, there are all the gamma rays...man.

Anyway, education: senior in college (though on leave at the moment) in math/physics, done with everything except abstract algebra and thesis (well, plus the humanities gen ed; bah). Here's hoping grad school in math works afterward since gotta avoid reality...

FINE. pfft. Then, just enough can decay to give them a fast acting cancer. Loads of people get cancer anyway, so it shouldnt cause too much panic.

How about just enough decay for a small explosion? Like a few sticks of dynamite worth?

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:42 am UTC

Whatever floats your boat, and sinks his...
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:01 am UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:Swinburne, enrolled on thursday. Looks like an interesting course anyway :D

hey, I went to the astronomy winter school thing at Swinburne. Looks like quite a cool university. Melbourne seems quite like Wellington, but like ten times bigger...

Anyway, I'm doing my masters thesis through Victoria University Wellington (not Melbourne :), situated at and paid for and supervised by Industrial Research, way out in lower hutt. Hoping to head over to england to do a phd and see my girlfriend after that...

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:18 am UTC

The Hutts are gangsters!

...Sorry, I can't help but quote Star Wars anytime someone mentions that area. :P

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:42 pm UTC

Im in the (seemingly rather small) minority of non-math people here. I wanted to go into aerospace engineering until my junior year of h.s. and then I realized the job just wasn't for me. But my junior and senior year I still took all the ap classes I could, and I came into college with 21 credits. So right now I'm a Freshman in years, Sophomore in credits at Lebanon Valley College, pursuing degrees in Music Education and Jazz Studies. Yeah. I'm one of those.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

myoumyouou

Postby myoumyouou » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:30 pm UTC

going to uni to study behavioral science.
everything you've ever thought about has been thought about before. think about it

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:58 pm UTC

Hooray jazz!! :D :D :D I heart jazz, particularly hot jazz from the '20s and '30s, plus the jazz inspired soul and R&B from the '60s and '70s. But that's probably because I'm a swing dancer and stuff.

Hooray behavior science! :D :D :D
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:02 pm UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote: But my junior and senior year I still took all the ap classes I could, and I came into college with 21 credits. So right now I'm a Freshman in years, Sophomore in credits

I did the same thing actually. Unfortunately, most did nothing about my required classes (my french classes even came over as 6 credits of 'general elective' as they had no foreign language classes), except for calc 1 and 2 (yay for no real math courses at college!). I almost graduated a semester early, but for one required class that was only offered in the spring. So I took the opportunity to slack off my senior year...including a stint of the second semester where I only was going to 3-4 hours of classes per week. :D
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:53 pm UTC

Currently in my second semester of BSc/MMath Mathematics at Leeds University. 5 A-levels, 13 GCSEs, two grade 3s on STEP (bonus for anyone who recognises what that means). I am also white and nerdy (about 7 things in that song are about me as well).

My university is older than the countries of Canada, Australia, Germany and only slightly younger than the USA (Couldn't you have declared independence a bit later? If you waited even longer you could have a regional assembly in every state.) We complain about our top-up fees here, but we're only liable for £3000 (about $6K) fees a year which everyone is entitled to a state loan for which accumulates interest at inflation. When will governments learn that if they want scientists and mathematicians to come, stay and be nurtured into existence in their country then they must make conditions favourable?

Oh, and politically I'm chancellor of Thessex Checker for a county currently covering a large part of the UK and Sweeden.
li te'o te'a vei pai pi'i ka'o ve'o su'i pa du li no
Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.
QED is Latin for small empty box.
Ceci n’est pas une [s]pipe[/s] signature.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:58 pm UTC

^ Thats about the same system as in australia, with the cost and the loan. Law and medicine are slightly more expensive, and nursing and teaching courses are a bit less, cause theyre tagged "national priorities"

Although my course is very slightly cheaper :P about 2.8k Pounds/year.

Website

Lenale

Postby Lenale » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:13 am UTC

cmacis wrote:My university is older than the countries of Canada, Australia, Germany and only slightly younger than the USA (Couldn't you have declared independence a bit later? If you waited even longer you could have a regional assembly in every state.) We complain about our top-up fees here, but we're only liable for £3000 (about $6K) fees a year which everyone is entitled to a state loan for which accumulates interest at inflation. When will governments learn that if they want scientists and mathematicians to come, stay and be nurtured into existence in their country then they must make conditions favourable?

My uni was founded in 1575 because the citizens of the town had shown a remarkable aptitude concerning herrings (long, but true, story).

The Dutch higher education fee system is... ridiculous. Tuition is about $2000 a year, and EVERY student living away from their parents gets a bursary of $325 a month, plus a restricted free travel card. So if you play it right and have a little job on the side, you can finish your education without having any debts.
Physics is like sex. It might give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.

--Richard Feynmann

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:01 am UTC

I am actually not surprised - my dad's half of the family are Dutch and they have a massive thing for herrings too. I assumed it was a/n (U and H both confuse me with that) universal Dutch thing. Except for me. I bloody hate rollmops.

EDIT: I should actually half-contribute. We get concession travel cards for uni too, and there are study grants and allowances you can apply for if your or your family's income is below a certain threshold.

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:57 pm UTC

We have it a bit silly for how loans and bursarys are calculated. Very few unis do scholarships based on ability (even though Newton was at Cambridge on a scholarship) but all have to give a bursary to the students whose families are on the lowest incomes. Everyone can apply for 75% of the maximum loan, but if both of your parents work then that is pretty much all you are getting. Though if your parents are separated then they only calculate it on one parent and even ignore any maintenance payments. Those studying for nursing qualifications can get a NHS bursary to cover most of their fees, but I think they have to work for the NHS for so many years after. Nobody pays more than £3000 per year on a first undergraduate degree if they are a home student. So all unis on all courses are limited as to what they can charge.
li te'o te'a vei pai pi'i ka'o ve'o su'i pa du li no

Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.

QED is Latin for small empty box.

Ceci n’est pas une [s]pipe[/s] signature.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:49 pm UTC

lani wrote:Hooray jazz!! :D :D :D I heart jazz, particularly hot jazz from the '20s and '30s, plus the jazz inspired soul and R&B from the '60s and '70s. But that's probably because I'm a swing dancer and stuff.

Or. Or. Or.

Maybe you're a swing dancer and stuff because you heart jazz! Did ya think of that one, huh?
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

xooll

Postby xooll » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:09 am UTC

I'm a junior at Bard College in upstate New York, studying physics along with a mishmash of other stuff.
Hmm, I should use the word "mishmash" more often...
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

aisling
Has (underage) boobs

Postby aisling » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:53 am UTC

mathmagic wrote:I've got a funny story about cooking school actually...

This guy I know (he's a sous-chef where I work) was telling me how he got involved in cooking and whatnot, and he told me about this time he was talking to his career counsellor. So anyway, the counsellor asks him what his plans were once he finished high school, and when he told her he wanted to go to cooking school, she laughed. She told him that cooking school was a waste (he got 90s in grade 12) because the grade requirements for it were so low (like, 50s). But that didn't change his mind. He still went and got his Red Seal, but yeah, he actually makes less money than some of the regular cooks at our restaurant because he's on salary and everybody else is on wage. :razz:

Yes, but what kind of restaurant are you working in? How long has he been working? What kind of school did he go to? I will only be going to the best of the best (There are 2 very well established schools in my city, as well as several a few hours away, but still close enough to home that I will feel comfortable) and I already know people who work at very well paying, high class restaurants in the area. I'm planning on applying for a job (starting in the summer and continuing until I need to quit) at the poshest restaurent in my neighborhood as some sort of grunt worker in the kitchen, doing dishes, w/e, working my way up to working with food and things, and eventually when I have taken my culinary training, I will be able to get a fairly decent job somewhere due to my credentials and whatnot. This is my number one passion in life. I could not think of a job that could make me any happier. It is also a job that will hopefully bring me closer to another dream of living in a large French city, like Paris or Rouen, if I find that Paris will simply not work out. So yeah, I really won't be discouraged from this dream. I've known that I wanted to cook as a career since I was 4 (this is absolutely true) and I know I will succeed.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:50 am UTC

Well what do you know? My number-one passion in life is stopping you from becoming a chef. I've known that I must stop you from cooking since I was 3 (and I'm older than you). I know I will succeed.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:37 am UTC

aisling wrote:
mathmagic wrote:I've got a funny story about cooking school actually...

Yes, but what kind of restaurant are you working in? How long has he been working? What kind of school did he go to? I will only be going to the best of the best (There are 2 very well established schools in my city, as well as several a few hours away, but still close enough to home that I will feel comfortable) and I already know people who work at very well paying, high class restaurants in the area. I'm planning on applying for a job (starting in the summer and continuing until I need to quit) at the poshest restaurent in my neighborhood as some sort of grunt worker in the kitchen, doing dishes, w/e, working my way up to working with food and things, and eventually when I have taken my culinary training, I will be able to get a fairly decent job somewhere due to my credentials and whatnot. This is my number one passion in life. I could not think of a job that could make me any happier. It is also a job that will hopefully bring me closer to another dream of living in a large French city, like Paris or Rouen, if I find that Paris will simply not work out. So yeah, I really won't be discouraged from this dream. I've known that I wanted to cook as a career since I was 4 (this is absolutely true) and I know I will succeed.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to crush your dream at all! That's awesome that you're so determined to succeed and obviously, you've got a pretty good plan! :D

Good luck with your ambitions! :D
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

nknezek

Postby nknezek » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:09 am UTC

Well,
I'm currently a Junior in high school
Still have some time to figure out what I'm going to do with my life.

I'm planning on going to Dartmouth, Rice, or Berkeley, if I can get scholarships, to study something to do with engineering, math, or physics.

Alternatively, I might end up changing my mind and becoming a music major, since I absolutely LOVE playing piano (currently almost done learning Beethoven's Pathetique and about to play Moonlight Sonata for competition) and I just started choir and love that too. I also play clarinet, but it's gotten boring lately, so I'm not so into it anymore.
I'm really grateful that I live in Texas, since it actually has one of the better high school music programs in the U.S. (I've managed to make it 3 chairs from the State band in both clarinet and choir. sooo close)

Anyway, I wish I had everything figured out like aisling, but oh well. I'll figure it out eventually.
-Nick

[edit] Toeofdoom, I tried to look it up, but couldn't find any information. How advanced is 6-7 on that scale? [/edit]
Everyone wants to know the answer, even if it's not the right answer.

Wikey

Postby Wikey » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:19 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:Senior in high school.

No idea what I'm doing in the future.

College plans, so far, include:
Going to the community college this summer, next year, and next summer (plus AP credit).
Then, my sophomore year, I should be able to transfer as in as a junior.

Yay for saving money! :D

Amen!

I'm in the exact same boat.

Though, while you have no idea, I have the vague idea that I want to be a teacher.

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:06 am UTC

ohmygodI'mtheoldestherebyatleastadecade...

what the hell...

12 O-levels (yes, I'm THAT old), 4 A-levels, 2 S-levels (I'm feeling old again), BA in Physics (at a university considerably older than the USA :) ), MSc in numerical analysis and computation. I've been a computer programmer with the same company since I left uni, um, 15 years ago. Working for a small company is GREAT.

thesublime514

Postby thesublime514 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:26 pm UTC

veridical wrote:Junior in high school slash freshman in college. I'm in an early college program where I take courses at the University of North Texas thereby finishing ~2 years of college and getting a diploma. Hoping to go to some fancy-schmancy university like Stanford or something once I get my diploma here. Planning on going into mathematics, but I'm not really sure.
My school
(Everybody at my school is socially retarded, by the way)

I find it particularly coincidental that you're a sixteen-year-old male from Denton, Texas who likes Mitch Hedberg, Guitar Hero, classic rock, and has a Nietzsche avatar when I'm a sixteen-year-old male from Denton, Texas who likes Mitch Hedberg, Guitar Hero, classic rock, and whose room looks like this:

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:30 pm UTC

aldimond wrote:
lani wrote:Hooray jazz!! :D :D :D I heart jazz, particularly hot jazz from the '20s and '30s, plus the jazz inspired soul and R&B from the '60s and '70s. But that's probably because I'm a swing dancer and stuff.

Or. Or. Or.

Maybe you're a swing dancer and stuff because you heart jazz! Did ya think of that one, huh?

Actually, I didn't really like the stuff until I started dancing. :P

I once erupted at my brother and lectured him for an hour afterwards when he told me that he didn't like jazz because it made him think of preppy white guys with sweaters tied around his shoulders.

Considering jazz started in the whorehouses, I felt the need to correct him. I'm pretty sure he'll never say that around me again.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

djn

Postby djn » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:32 pm UTC

I feel like I've been slacking: I'm working on getting a master degree in informatics at Oslo university. No dual/triple/whatever degrees, no seriously demanding math or anything, and it looks like I'll finish after exactly the intended 5 years.

Oh well, I still like to think I'll be useful. :)

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:40 pm UTC

I am a junior in high school for one more week. Then I will be taking classes at the local community college and/or going to WPI Frontiers during the summer. Then I will be a senior in a whole bunch of AP classes. I am going to be in calc AB because everyone takes the same classes at my school. I am, however, hell-bent on taking and passing the BC exam next year. Then it will be off to University for me. I'm hoping to go to Berkeley, Rensselaer, Cornell, or Carnegie-Mellon or somewhere awesome like that.

the Cow
Today India, tomorrow the world!

Postby the Cow » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:51 pm UTC

I dropped out of high school and went straight into college. There I got majors in philosophy and religion and minors in mideast studies (poly sci) and art history.

With these fine, but not very practical degrees, under my belt, I became a computer programmer. I have been programming computers for about 25 years now.

I intended to become a college professor, but my older brother became one first, and I saw how he had to move and change jobs pretty regularly for the first few years of his career, and I decided that I was too much of a homebody for that.
...the whim of a hat.

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:30 am UTC

lani wrote:... he told me that he didn't like jazz because it made him think of preppy white guys with sweaters tied around his shoulders.

That does not make sense at all.

Anyway, I just finished my third year in college, I'm a meteorology major.
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:34 am UTC

Just finished my sophomore year at New York University. I'm a psych major, and I'm double minoring in education and Italian. It's kind of a crazy mix of my interests, but it works for me. If I could not bother with a major and just minor in like 6 different subjects, that would be perfect for me. But alas, it's not possible.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

melchior

Postby melchior » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:42 am UTC

I just managed to graduate college after 5 years, with a degree in biochemistry. I'm going to try and start my own software company.

Marbas wrote:I'm hoping to go to Berkeley, Rensselaer, Cornell, or Carnegie-Mellon or somewhere awesome like that.

I did my undergraduate at Berkeley. I don't recommend it unless you like 300+ student lectures, never getting to talk to your profs, and ultra competitive students who'll check out all books from the library on a subject just so you can't.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:58 am UTC

melchior wrote:I just managed to graduate college after 5 years, with a degree in biochemistry. I'm going to try and start my own software company.

Marbas wrote:I'm hoping to go to Berkeley, Rensselaer, Cornell, or Carnegie-Mellon or somewhere awesome like that.

I did my undergraduate at Berkeley. I don't recommend it unless you like 300+ student lectures, never getting to talk to your profs, and ultra competitive students who'll check out all books from the library on a subject just so you can't.

The first two wouldn't effect me much since I teach myself most of what I know. That last one seems a bit creepy though.

I mean really creepy. Seriously... what the fuck?
Last edited by Marbas on Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:00 am UTC

Swordfish wrote:
lani wrote:... he told me that he didn't like jazz because it made him think of preppy white guys with sweaters tied around his shoulders.

I know.

I love my brother a lot, but sometimes........
- Lani

Solt

Postby Solt » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:24 am UTC

Marbas wrote:
melchior wrote:I just managed to graduate college after 5 years, with a degree in biochemistry. I'm going to try and start my own software company.

The first two wouldn't effect me much since I teach myself most of what I know. That last one seems a bit creepy though.

I mean really creepy. Seriously... what the fuck?

Those are all horrible exaggerations. Upper Div courses have less than 100 (sometimes less than 50), Profs are lonely during office hours and they like to complain about it, and, well, you only actually need books from the library for humanities research so I wouldn't know.

Maybe it's because he majored in biochem. Pre-med students are just fucked up.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:38 am UTC

lani wrote:
Swordfish wrote:

I know.

I love my brother a lot, but sometimes........

I probably should have mentioned this earlier so you knew where I was coming from, but I used to play piano and did a little jazz, but I was mostly into Blues and Rock and Roll piano.

Anyway, I do like jazz, but I don't really actively pursue it, I guess you could say. Like I don't really know any jazz artists, and I don't go around looking for jazz to add to my music collection, but I certainly can appreciate it, and if, say, I walked into a bar or something and it was playing, I'd probably sit down a listen.

I think I might be going to New Orleans in January for an AMS conference, and I'm pretty excited about getting the opportunity to go to a jazz or blues bar there (if anyone could recommend one, that'd be great).

Anyway since that New Orleans trip is a school related thing, I did stay on topic. :P
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:09 am UTC

I am kind of an education junkie with commitment issues. I've been at Simon Fraser University for four years (12 semesters--I haven't taken summers off). I have more than enough credits to have a degree, but not enough in any one area.

I started out intending to do an Actuarial Science major and Computer Science minor. I am now about a year away from completing a Kinesiology major, Business minor... but this is about the time in any of my attempted degrees that I tend to bolt.

In an ideal world, and given unlimited time, I would do a double major in Kinesiology and Cognitive Science (Computing Science, Linguistics, Psychology, Philosophy). But it's not an ideal world, and having a broad education definitely isn't in style right now .

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:40 am UTC

I remember being very smart, I feel myself getting dumber everyday, it would have used to of worried me, but it doesn't.
=]

Return to “General”