Show the world your desktop! [Mommy, what's 56K?]

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:29 am UTC

Yeah, so theres a firefox logo, but I really have no idea why thats unusual. I guess its because its on that bar on the right.... doesnt seem very odd. Do buttons not usually go there?

I suppose other words you mean could be windows or backup.

Unless its the lack of any obvious way to modify settings. Or... you dont have any games?

Stop trying to make me guess :( its getting stupid... or it already was...
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Lenale

Postby Lenale » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:31 am UTC

I'll give Judas a couple of minutes to google and figure it out, then I'll tell, okay? :)
Physics is like sex. It might give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.
--Richard Feynmann

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:33 am UTC

Wait, you have Firefox AND Iceweasel?!?!

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:33 am UTC

Lenale wrote:Well, alright, have some more, I'll bake new ones :)

I didn't know those icons were KDE... Shame on me! I picked the one with the prettiest home, since I'm a girl and I care about that stuff :)

It's a good suggestion too, by the way... the icons aren't weird an sich, but they COULD be weird because I'm not using KDE. Stay on that line of thinking. :)

I don't know if that's a KDE icon set actually; it just looked a bit familiar. I built my own iconset by stealing the best icons from other iconsets. Here's my Home:

The ladybug casts a shadow as if the light were coming from the left, but the nebula image casts a shadow as if the light were coming from directly above. Am I winrar?

niko7865

Postby niko7865 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:34 am UTC

if you're using debian i'm going to have to say you're not a true debianite(?) since you have that terrible browser that's against Debian's values.
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???

Lenale

Postby Lenale » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:Wait, you have Firefox AND Iceweasel?!?!

Cookie. :)

Actually, I do not have Firefox. But I like the icon - have done since it first came out. So I kept it (it links to IW!).

I'm impressed, by the way :)

Edit: two winnars! More impression here! :D

Now I'll go to bed, since it's 1:40...
Physics is like sex. It might give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.

--Richard Feynmann

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:37 am UTC

Lenale wrote:
thefiddler wrote:Wait, you have Firefox AND Iceweasel?!?!

Cookie. :)

Actually, I do not have Firefox. But I like the icon - have done since it first came out. So I kept it (it links to IW!).

I'm impressed, by the way :)

It took me a minute, since I only run Windows XP. :( Not that familiar with Debian. *tear*

Judas Maccabeus

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:39 am UTC

I looked it up and still didn't get it, aside from that it might be a bit redundant. In fact, I still don't really see how that's strange.

I'm not the "alternate browser" type, so I guess I wouldn't get it...

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:42 am UTC

Lenale wrote:Actually, I do not have Firefox. But I like the icon - have done since it first came out. So I kept it (it links to IW!).

I've come across many good Firefox icons while searching through the various KDE iconsets:
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Lenale

Postby Lenale » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:43 am UTC

Judas Maccabeus wrote:I looked it up and still didn't get it, aside from that it might be a bit redundant. In fact, I still don't really see how that's strange.

The completely wrong and abridged version is that... in the beginning, there was a browser (IE). Then there was another one (FireFox), considered "better" by a lot of people. Unfortunately, other people (Debianites) decided that although FireFox ITSELF was hellishly wicked, there were some legal details that didn't make it Proper Linux Stuff, so they re-named it (Iceweasel).

Here endeth the lesson... hope that explained something :)

Okay, now I'm really really going to sleep.

--Richard Feynmann

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:43 am UTC

Judas Maccabeus wrote:I looked it up and still didn't get it, aside from that it might be a bit redundant. In fact, I still don't really see how that's strange.

Iceweasel is... you know what? I'm just going to send you here (even though you've probably already been here): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IceWeasel

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:56 am UTC

OK, well I switch mine often, so here's my new one. :)

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:08 am UTC

I got Mac in my Windows! I'm insane!
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:09 am UTC

Narsil wrote:I got Mac in my Windows! I'm insane!

Heh... I did that for a bit, but I didn't like it. *shrug* Does that make me sane? :D

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:31 am UTC

warriorness wrote:
Lenale wrote:Actually, I do not have Firefox. But I like the icon - have done since it first came out. So I kept it (it links to IW!).

I've come across many good Firefox icons while searching through the various KDE iconsets:
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Really? My favorite one was Image
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:52 am UTC

Aoeniac wrote:Really? My favorite one was Image

WINS. SO HARD.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:54 am UTC

no-genius wrote:

WINS. SO HARD.

I adore that. I'm in love. Wow. :D

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:01 am UTC

Wikipedia wrote:"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."

:D

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:11 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:
no-genius wrote:

WINS. SO HARD.

Wow... so how do i change the icon...? Must change icon...
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:19 am UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:
thefiddler wrote:
no-genius wrote:

WINS. SO HARD.

Wow... so how do i change the icon...? Must change icon...

Yeah, but that's not practica.... aw who am I kidding *saves*

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:21 am UTC

Its not practical? Who gives a fuck... if I knew a way, i would make it the icon for mozilla on my desktop, full size.

Website

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:34 am UTC

thats so cool. some of you may have seen this picture before, but here's my desktop
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

ulnevets

Postby ulnevets » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:54 am UTC

Debilis

Postby Debilis » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:26 am UTC

My current desktop:

The picture changes often; I have a fair sized collection of background pictures. I should set that up to change around automatically...
The dock along the top auto-hides, and there's also a dock at the bottom not shown that holds my currently opened windows.
It's also a bit cluttered at the moment; my desktop has no icons a majority of the time. I like to keep it clean.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:30 am UTC

OK, this is my old desktop - i might change it back soon

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:54 am UTC

This is a screencap of mine. There's nothing much on the desktop... and this is being hosted from my desktop box with a dynamic IP so it might go away at some point.

http://earth.hair.walk.tall.mysteryrobot.com:8080/foo2.png

EDIT: n-g, what webcomic is that? I swear I've seen it somewhere...
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:58 am UTC

Put away the damn harmonica and write some code!
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:04 am UTC

Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:14 am UTC

aldimond wrote:n-g, what webcomic is that? I swear I've seen it somewhere...

scary go round! (that pic was from towards the start of The Big Broadcast)

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:39 am UTC

Twm, or something equally hideous?

What's the point? I know it's easy on system resources, but if you wanted that couldn't you just use xfce and have it look better as well?

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:03 pm UTC

warriorness wrote:

Twm, or something equally hideous?

What's the point? I know it's easy on system resources, but if you wanted that couldn't you just use xfce and have it look better as well?

fvwm. I started using fvwm because it was the only WM that could be coerced into working well on the crappy workstations at my university (the other choices were fvwm95, an old broken version of fluxbox and an old broken version of openStep). I liked that it was almost completely customizable. Once I twerked the keybindings on one machine, I just had to copy the .fvwmrc to any other one I wanted to use. Now everything is right where I want it: all WM keybindings use the mod4 key (on many keyboards, but not mine, that's the Windows key... I have two large keys with diamonds on them that serve that purpose), a wide button bar with a nice big pager, the button bar is not always on top, convenient keybindings and mousebindings for manipulating windows, focus follows mouse absolutely (if mouse is over desktop, no window gets focus... this is important to me), icons on the desktop when you iconify... plus, for free, in the window chooser you get vi bindings. How cool is that?

I've used Fluxbox, and I liked it for the most part, but it's not as easy to customize. I've used Window Maker, which I thought was pretty elegant, but it's also inflexible in some important ways. I used XFCE on an older box to try it out, and I really didn't like it much; I couldn't make it mesh with my style of manipulating windows, which really had only undergone minor changes when going from WMaker to Fluxbox to fvwm. At one point I learned how to use twm effectively (and used it every day for a semester running an ancient version of RedHat inside of Virtual PC, which was the dev setup for a class) and I liked *it* better than XFCE (twm is one of the most usable-by-default window managers I've seen... all it lacks is multiple desktops... well, also, twm frankly is hideous, though if you use a reasonable color scheme I've heard it's not so bad).

Plus, I actually think that fvwm looks just fine. It's a different style than XFCE, Gnome or KDE, but it's certainly not an eyesore. The only thing I changed from the standard look was fonts (it uses XFT these days, so you get nice looking fonts) and the color for the focused window decorations (originally a garish pink). The only thing that perhaps can be justifiably called "hideous" is the thick window borders, because they often clash with the window contents. But I actually use them (as often as my mouse is near a window title bar it's near one of the other edges), so I don't care if they look ugly.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:37 pm UTC

I use ratpoison so i have no desktop, though if I ever get round to having a pop at beryl I'll be sure to post that (what do you mean using beryl defeats the point of ratpoison?)
Heaven is for the hedonist

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:38 pm UTC

shadebug wrote:I use ratpoison so i have no desktop, though if I ever get round to having a pop at beryl I'll be sure to post that (what do you mean using beryl defeats the point of ratpoison?)

excuse you?

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:25 pm UTC

Icons are icky. Especially the Recycle Bin.

http://i7.tinypic.com/42klmac.jpg

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:27 pm UTC

Ooh, ratpoison... I don't think I've ever used it, but I used one that was similar... I think it was wmii. I liked it for working with terminals (a lot), but not so much for IM and web browsing.

As far as 3d desktops go... not until fvwm supports it ;) . Isn't there a compositing manager you can use that does compositing/drop shadows/transparency with any window manager? Except that nobody uses it, it's buggy and has really bad performance? I played with that for a while, but apparently that's not the way people are going... and even now there's XGL and AIGLX, plus nVidia's drivers that offer similar functionality without any other X server modifications. So even if I do give up fvwm for a 3d desktop I'll wait until a clear winner emerges, I guess.

zvezdogled

Postby zvezdogled » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:39 pm UTC

Ok my turn.

At the moment i am al about blue. Its just my mood im in for like 2 months or so:

and even more blue

And i do agree - Baryl rules!!!
"On 11 November 1997, Veronika decided that the moment to kill herself had – at last! - arrived."
- Paulo Coelho

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:03 pm UTC

Since I got into 24 I've had a thing forElisha Cuthbert. But I'm thinking of making/finding a new image to go there. The 'notes' link shows/hides a div with a textarea element just like in Rat's. I assume that's what you were doing there anyway.

Full size is 1280*1024 and in the taskbar you would have seen xchat, gaim, firefox and photoshop which is all I have open right now. Maybe I'll go start a game of civ... /wanders off
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

OmnipotentEntity

Postby OmnipotentEntity » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:32 pm UTC

Aoeniac wrote:I just like this artist is all.

Is there a clean version of this picture?
Build a man a fire and warm him for a day,
Set a man on fire and warm him for the rest of his life.

ulnevets

Postby ulnevets » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:38 pm UTC

OmnipotentEntity wrote:
Aoeniac wrote:I just like this artist is all.

Is there a clean version of this picture?

khayber

Postby khayber » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:24 am UTC

Here's mine. Don't remember where the wallpaper is from. I mostly choose natural stuff.

Return to “General”