Show the world your desktop! [Mommy, what's 56K?]

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Xane

Postby Xane » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:59 am UTC

Easy on the eyes, and not a lightbulb

ulnevets

Postby ulnevets » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:11 am UTC

i just use tubgirl as my desktop pic

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:00 pm UTC

I use tubgirl as other peoples' desktop pic. By other people I mean libraries
Heaven is for the hedonist

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:05 pm UTC

ulnevets wrote:i just use tubgirl as my desktop pic

eh, if i did that i would never stop masturbating

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:35 pm UTC

Rat wrote:
ulnevets wrote:i just use tubgirl as my desktop pic

eh, if i did that i would never stop masturbating

See, based on what I know about Rat so far, I think he's actually telling the truth here.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:27 pm UTC

It's a trap!
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:49 pm UTC

A rat trap? Beast Wars anyone.

Don't pretend you didn't like that show.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:50 pm UTC

Actually I despised that show. Optimus Primal? What the fuck? Honestly what THE fuck!?
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:06 pm UTC

haha
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
RealGrouchy wrote:

Babbler

Postby Babbler » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:58 pm UTC

My laptop, with wallpaper of a photo taken by me.

Can you id the city and place where it was taken?

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:08 am UTC

Babbler wrote:My laptop, with wallpaper of a photo taken by me.

Can you id the city and place where it was taken?

at the risk of getting laughed at: seattle? i got kind of a seattle vibe from that.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:48 am UTC

There's no Space Needle, so I doubt it's Seattle.

I don't have any ideas myself. But I'm going to be a smartass and guess Ottowa based on your location field.

EDIT: well, possibly based on the fact that you asked where it was taken from... I also postulate that it might be Buffalo or Detroit, taken from Canada.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:59 am UTC

Is it the outskirts of Montreal?
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:48 pm UTC

aldimond wrote:There's no Space Needle, so I doubt it's Seattle.

I don't have any ideas myself. But I'm going to be a smartass and guess Ottowa based on your location field.

EDIT: well, possibly based on the fact that you asked where it was taken from... I also postulate that it might be Buffalo or Detroit, taken from Canada.
i can't see ayer's rock from where i am, but that doesn't mean i'm not in australia.

but i'd have to go with ottawa (as a guess)
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:09 pm UTC

actually, that looks a bit like bogota, though I only say that because of the shiny black building in the middle. The lack of mountains or the cool airstrip style main roads make me think otherwise

umbrae

Postby umbrae » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:45 pm UTC

I actually used to be a big dork about my desktop. Here are a few screens from a couple years ago:

Spike speigel, anyone? Anyone?

Yay science!

Please excuse my use of Kazaa Lite. This was before bittorrent was really around. :P

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:54 pm UTC

Is that a plugin for retracting tabs on your desktop? If so, it's pretty cool.

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:00 pm UTC

ulnevets wrote:
OmnipotentEntity wrote:
Aoeniac wrote:I just like this artist is all.

Is there a clean version of this picture?

lol

I agree with OmnipotentEntity though, that would be a cool picture to have
Hi you.
she/her

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:54 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:Is that a plugin for retracting tabs on your desktop? If so, it's pretty cool.

I'm assuming he rearranged his icons on his desktop with a clear white background, took a screenshot of that, opened it up in Photoshop, made a new layer and drew on top of it. When done with the new layer, he deleted the original screenshot and added a white background. Then used that as his desktop background.

It would be a pain and a half if you bought a new game, though.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Babbler

Postby Babbler » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:04 pm UTC

Peshmerga wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Is that a plugin for retracting tabs on your desktop? If so, it's pretty cool.

I'm assuming he rearranged his icons on his desktop with a clear white background, took a screenshot of that, opened it up in Photoshop, made a new layer and drew on top of it. When done with the new layer, he deleted the original screenshot and added a white background. Then used that as his desktop background.

So he just made up the stats panel?

miles01110

Postby miles01110 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:19 pm UTC

Wow, not enough OSX desktops here!!

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:33 pm UTC

Babbler wrote:
Peshmerga wrote:

So he just made up the stats panel?

Everything looks pretty static except that bit. Perhaps the statistics part itself is a plugin, and the rest is done by him. Or maybe I'm wrong. But it seems like a silly plugin to have, especially since it doesn't seem to form around the icons, it's simply a static image. Also, Spike and the Chemistry guy seemed to have been created with the organizer in mind.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Babbler

Postby Babbler » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:34 pm UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:Is it the outskirts of Montreal?

Right city, wrong location.

umbrae

Postby umbrae » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:41 pm UTC

Here's the skinny:

Peshmerga is right for the most part - the tabs are part of the background. It didn't become a pain for new games though - if I ever had more than 6 games that I regularly played I think I wouldn't have had enough time for college. :P So I just deleted a shortcut to a game I didn't use often when a new one came up.

The stats are real - it's an app called Coolmon, which is really nifty. Apparently they have improved upon it a lot too - you can check it out at http://www.coolmon.org/ - I don't use it anymore, but if I was obsessed with my desktop like I used to be I probably would. There's a 'showoff' section on their forums with some really nice desktops (also some really ugly ones).

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:36 pm UTC

miles01110 wrote:Wow, not enough OSX desktops here!!

Woah, man, what did Dave Saeva ever do to you? :P

zvezdogled

Postby zvezdogled » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:06 am UTC

http://people.brandeis.edu/~mketchum/dd.png

well that i call a useful desktop. The weird thing about it is that ill be needing those equations tomorrow on my exam :shock: i have them written on a paper just in case i forget them (especially the Taylor and Maxwell part)...
"On 11 November 1997, Veronika decided that the moment to kill herself had – at last! - arrived."
- Paulo Coelho

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:50 am UTC

One OS X desktop is one OS X desktop too many! Down with Apple!
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:19 am UTC

aldimond wrote:

One OS X desktop is one OS X desktop too many! Down with Apple!

I was all ready to make this comment. Tip of the hat sir, tip of the hat.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:

miles01110

Postby miles01110 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:43 am UTC

I hope you two aren't Windows users. Linux users might be qualified to make that statement though.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:26 am UTC

Well currently in my apartment I have a (Gentoo) Linux box, a FreeBSD laptop that won't power on due to mysterious hardware failure that appears to be related to the power supply, and a box that runs Plan 9 that I screw around with occasionally... plus a router that runs some flaky embedded stack (if it was one of the routers that could be flashed with Linux I'd do that, not because "it's Linux" but because this particular embedded stack is unreliable and doesn't have some of the features I want, but unfortunately its hardware is too weak to run Linux). Don't happen to have any Windows boxes here, but I do use Windows XP all day, every day at work. It generally works, though I wish it acted more Unix quite often. Am I "qualified"? Oh, wait, I don't care whether you think I'm qualified to think Apple sucks, fuck you very much!

Apple, compared to, say, Microsoft, is just as evil. They're just much smaller and more fashionable. Here in Teh Valley if you're not a flaming Apple fanboy that drinks the Kool-Aid, pisses it out, drinks the piss, pisses that out and then baptizes yourself with it you're a "Mac hater", and I just like to run with that label a bit. Apple and Microsoft deserve equal hatred, to the extent that either deserve any, but Apple doesn't get their fair share. Consider my post affirmative Apple-hate action.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:37 am UTC

I've tried other OS's and use Windows by choice. For what I do Windows is just easiest. Anyone being a fanboy for any nature pisses me off.

Side note: Being a *nix user doesn't make you akin to Jesus.

Every OS has it's strong points, *nix users bash windows, windows users bash apple, apple users... well I'm just happy that so many of you are allowed to live unsupervised on your own.

Let's say I was heavy into programming/networking/other stuff that requires security and such, *nix is probably your best bet.

Let's say you want to play games.. alright I'm tired it's been a long day and that's really the only strong point I can think of that Windows has blatently over the others.

Let's say you make to make pretty pictures and/or movies, Mac's are probably your best choice.

Now let's all get along and not start some giant "Oh me yarm M$ IS TRYING TO CONTROL J00 MIND$#!?$! - Steve Jobs eats babies" type deal thingy.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:37 am UTC

But apple doesnt seem to charge as much for the damn operating system... >.>

or does it? I dont really know.

Anyway, apples seem more stable than windows machines and generally seem like they actually make something possibly worth some money.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:50 am UTC

Gordon wrote:Let's say you want to play games.. alright I'm tired it's been a long day and that's really the only strong point I can think of that Windows has blatently over the others.

Sure, use fatigue as an excuse. More like because there is no other strong point.

Unfortunately, that's really the one that creates the de facto standard. I just wish more game developers would make Linux ports.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:03 am UTC

That may very well be the only good point, but there's also the fact that Windows is so freaking dummy proof as to allow the majority of people access to computers and/or the internet.

My problem with people bashing one OS or the other isn't so much that any of them are particularily any better at anything. *nix is only 'more secure' because there are rediculously fewer people trying to break the security of those OS's. The majority of people using computers are Windows users, now if I'm a 1337 HaxX0R trying to cause panic/mayhem/steal credit cards/eat babies, I'm probably going to go after the demographic with the largest probability of success and we all know what happens as n increases.

So other than putting *nix on your server/workstations for a network that requires security (not so much because it is more secure, but that you have to worry about fewer attacks, just maybe?) or running OS X for it's graphics / movie editing software there really isn't anything that makes a lick of a difference between using one or another. If you're using XP and it's crashing, either A you're a moron, B you did something stupid see option A or C your computer is dieing (sp?) and it doesn't really matter what OS you're using because it's a hardware problem. Now most of the people with problem C either can fix the hardware problem themselves and it's no biggie, or they can't and then probably also can't be bothered to learn to use something like *nix and may in fact leave their Windows computer in favour of a mac book.

As for game developers making their games linux/other ready, it's not exactly an easy thing to do. As other OS's (OSs, OSes?) gain momentum it's possible game manufacturers will start doing that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:31 am UTC

except if they programmed in opengl in the first place, then they'd be able to get games on all programs no problems.

OSX is, essentially, a unix clone. As such it is not only very pretty and incredibly idiot proof (far more so than windows could ever hope to be) it also has an underlying tweakability to pander to the hardest core of geeks. Of course I still use linux, but that's because I enjoy working with hardware.

As for the hardware costs on a mac, I was purchasing a computer for my parents, an iMac 17" with the 2GHz CPU plus a copy of OEM windows MCE (you need an external cd drive to install MCE for bootcamping) is actually the same price as an equivalent dell (by which I mean an optiplex instead of a dimension, being that dimensions are made out of papier mache)

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:36 am UTC

Windows doesn't just do games well. Microsoft, with the surrounding community, has made Windows a great platform for corporate networking.

Similarly, the work of Apple and the community on multimedia software (not so much OS features... OS X isn't an ahead-of-its-time multimedia system like BeOS was; though I'm sure it can do everything BeOS could these days, so can other systems) have made Apple a great platform for that.

And Unix, as John Lennon would have said, "is a concept... by which we measure our pain." :D

Gordon's right that none of the operating systems are particularly better at anything inherently, with a few minor exceptions where there are features and APIs that one OS exports and another doesn't, or where one is buggy in a particular area where another is solid. Usually only developers have to worry about this, and they typically find ways around flaws when they have to.

Gordon's wrong with the idea that everyone that has problems with XP (or any other OS) is a moron. That's an asshattish comment, Gordon. You're not an asshat, are you?

Also, all of this doesn't stop me from hating on Apple for their closed systems, aggressive lawyers and hipper-than-thou attitude, and it doesn't change the fact that if they went down I would laugh among the legions of devastated fanboys here in Silicon Valley.

Arturion

Postby Arturion » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 am UTC

It's Windows, but running BlackBox Lean as a shell.

I don't want to get involved in the OS war that is brewing here, but I'll just say that I prefer Windows. (I have tried Linux, I worked with it daily on my summer job, but I have not tried any recent Mac OS)

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:50 am UTC

I thought my ass-hattedness was pretty obvious ;) ya, I'm done trying to 'discuss' OS's. I wish I had a link to that "winning an arguement on the internet is like... " whatever the other half of that is I don't remember, picture.

Something to do with special olympics or something something... something
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:02 am UTC

German Sausage wrote:thats so cool. some of you may have seen this picture before, but here's my desktop

It just hit me that this is the dude from "Pan's Labyrinth." Awesome movie. I saw it Friday night. :) (Although he was fairly creepy. :() I'm not sure I would want that for my desktop.

You people have ridiculously organized desktops. :(

zvezdogled

Postby zvezdogled » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:27 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:You people have ridiculously organized desktops. :(

I agree!
I have like two icons on my desktop aand for me thats two to many...
I like nice and clean desktop without junk on it.
"On 11 November 1997, Veronika decided that the moment to kill herself had – at last! - arrived."

- Paulo Coelho

Return to “General”