What is your phobia?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Which apply to you?

1. Acro- (heights)
22%
2. Arachno- (spiders)
19%
3. Auto- (being alone)
9%
4. Avio- (flying)
3%
5. Bacillo- (bacteria/germs)
2%
6. Claustro- (confined spaces/santa claus)
7%
7. Coulro- (clowns)
6%
8. Emeto- (vomiting)
2%
9. Hemo- (blood)
1%
10. Hydro- (water)
2%
11. Ligyro- (loud noises)
6%
12. Nycto- (darkness)
7%
13. Paraskavedekatria- (Friday the 13th)
No votes
14. Phono- (loud sounds)
1%
15. Pyro- (fire)
1%
16. Radio- (radiation)
2%
17. Techno- (technology)
No votes
18. Xeno- (strangers)
11%

Total votes: 162

wst

Re: What is your phobia?

Postby wst » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

On the lists- Xeno. Always get a bit freaked out even just talking to people I almost kinda know.

Not on the list-
Fear of my eye being poked out by a rifle backsight. (Stupid fullbore rifles kicking).
Fear of injury - I can't fucking rollerblade because of it. So annoying. I just go rock-solid and can't move if I try.

I quit fearing the dark soon after I realised it was daft to fear death.
I probably fear other stuff as well (almost certainly, in fact), but I can't remember what they are.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:42 pm UTC

@The Ethos: *Hangs head in shame* I have OCD. I lucked out and am only afraid of being in crowds and near men (with panic attacks occurring regularly in both situations). tara wasn't so lucky, but doesn't have OCD.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:45 pm UTC

On list: Acrophobia. Heights scare the shit out of me. Being high up in a place I consider unsecure will terrify me. This includes roofs and ladders, and diving boards.

Not on list. Cynophobia. Dogs are horribly terrifying, and takes me a while to be able to deal with them. If I see pretty much any dog, I tense up. I can get myself past it sometimes, sometimes I can't really. And constant exposure to a single dog lessens it. Not for all dogs, but to that dog.
Apiphobia - bees (technically wasps)
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Wormwood

Postby Wormwood » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

Luthen wrote:
Wormwood wrote:There are no snakes in New Zealand. I've only ever seen a snake once, in Australia, and i'm pretty certain it wasn't poisonous. They're not scary.

Everything in Australia is poisonous, everything. Even our trees (last line in first section) are poisonous!

Nah, I think it was a small one of those snakes that grow up to be huge and strangle you to death. Not poisonous, but still deadly. And trees! What? Why? People aren't meant to live in your country. (First time I found out platypuses had venom claws, I couldn't stop laughing.)
Bakemaster wrote:DOGGIE STYLE IS THOUGHTCRIME-SODOMY

Savoy_Truffle

Postby Savoy_Truffle » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

here's a pretty paradox (not really)

I have autophobia (fear of being alone) *and* enochlophobia (fear of large crowds/mobs)

I was walking through a fraternity party where everyone was loud and drunk, and I've been with small groups of loud/drunk people and I'm perfectly fine, but my friend had to wheel me out pretty quick because I couldn't breathe and she was scared because I was suddenly turning bright red.

Also, more randomly, fear of decapitation and severe head injuries. Given the choice of my mode of execution, I would choose a shot to the heart/torso over the head any day, even though I'd take a little longer to die....
Lux, Calida, Gravis que Pura velut aurum et canunt angeli moliter modo natum.

GCM

Postby GCM » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:10 am UTC

annals wrote:I had no idea there was a name for my irrational fear, but it turns out it's lilapsophobia: fear of tornadoes. Got it from here.

Needed on the list: lutraornithophobia

I wouldn't know, never even seen a tornado before.

Also, what is that? Haven't seen it before, and the closest I can get is ornithophobia (fear of birds)

nyeguy wrote:Anyway, I can't think of anything offhand I am really afraid of, among the common phobias. It isn't really a fear, but needles puncturing the skin creeps me out (I get chills down my spine and everything).

Oh yes. Needles suck (not literally). I dislike them strongly, which isn't too bad for my parents since they know I won't take some drugs because of it. In addition, I'm also afraid of cringing when someone gives me an injection, and having the needle stuck in. Hasn't happened so far, though.

Bugs are neat. I don't exactly like them, but there was this time when a... I dunno, praying mantis? Big bug, anyway, about 4 or 5 inches long, landed on my pants, and I was like "Cool!", and "Ew." at the same time.

The Ethos wrote:I'm surprised that agoraphobia didn't make the list. It's one of the most common. 5% of people at any time have it. In addition, anyone who has a panic disorder (and to a lesser extent OCD) has a very good chance of developing it.

So sorry. I'm a bit ignorant.

Also, does anyone know a term for fear of raptors? Not that I can add it now, but I'd like to know.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:02 am UTC

Dromaeosauridaeophobia? Bit of a mouthful though.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

Shakleton

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby Shakleton » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

Jellyfishes!

And especially people who keep telling me I don't have to be afraid of jellyfishes. They're always like: "Uuuh, they're just 98% Water" If that happens, I tell them three times they bother me anyway and then count to 20.

When they're not gone by then I tell them that I swum into a freakin' huge SWARM of JELLYFISHES when I was 10. I mean they were EVERYWHERE. EVERYWHERE! On the right, on the left, behind me, in front of me, beneath me and f***ing ALL OVER ME! I could not do anything but screaming, kicking, gargling and punching the water until I almost drowned. I tell them I was in bed, sick, for 4 days, TRAUMATIZED ever after if I even come in range of a single free Jellyfish. AND I tell them that I wake up every three months or so bathed in sweat because I had a jellyfish-nightmare. Then, I can't sleep for the rest of the night and day and probably spend the night reading books with all the lights in my room on.
If I am on a beach with just water as far as you can see in ALL directions and you tell me, somewhere in there, there is one jellyfish I won't swim in it. Not at all, no chance. I mark that beach in my head as jellyfish-contaminated and will never swim there again. Same happens when I see a jellyfish on a beach or in the water. If a jellyfish touches me by accident in the water, I totally panic, get out of the water as fast as I possibly can and sit in a dark corner with a blanket for the rest of the day at least where the jellyfish is not gonna find me.

As you probably figured out, I prefere swimming in public baths.
mikekearn wrote:You even have an appropriate shirt. Excellent.

wst

Postby wst » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:33 pm UTC

Shakleton wrote:Jellyfishes!

Oh, I don't swim with the things if I can help it, either. I once had a major swarm, but the water was murky, and I was snorkelling. I went to one side to find more interesting stuff to look at, this rock appear, I bricked it and kept swimming up the bland middle of the channel.
Saw a jellyfish. Bricked it and was on the beach in seconds.
Later, walking along the path next to the channel I was swimming along (narrow bit of a cove), guess what! The rock that freaked me out earlier, was basically a marker for where clear water ended and jellyfish-heaven began. If I'd continued forwards for an extra foot I would have actually shat myself. (Fear of physical pain)
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:56 pm UTC

I definitely have agoraphobia to some degree. I've got my little safe spot and I keep myself comfortable in it. I have no problems with talking to people or going places, but being there with no way out or feeling obligated to be somewhere really makes it set in. I generally don't commit myself to anything - going out with friends or going out to events. Sometimes its not a problem, but other times I just can't bring myself to leave the house.
Right now since I am in a funk its really been rearing its head... I'm feeling rather nervous even just sitting here at work, and because of this I'm really finding it difficult to concentrate on what I am supposed to be doing....

I also have a fear of strangulation. I get crazy nervous when people are around my neck (well girlfriend is exempt from this), and I freak when people put their arms around my neck :/
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

GCM wrote:
annals wrote:Needed on the list: lutraornithophobia

Also, what is that? Haven't seen it before, and the closest I can get is ornithophobia (fear of birds)

Lutraphobia: fear of otters.
Ornithophobia: fear of birds.

So, presumably:
Lutraornithophobia: fear of otters and birds. Or, you know, fear of the terrifying otter-bird with fur and a beak which can swim and is venomous. Which I originally meant as a joke, but just realised: Otterbird = Platypus.

Obviously it's intended as an "Other" option - the majority of polls here have "Otter/Duck" as an option.

RedWolf

Postby RedWolf » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:05 am UTC

Don't forget phobophobia - the fear of fear :P

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:40 am UTC

On the list: acrophobia and claustrophobia. Both are mild, but stronger than for most people I think. Acrophobia is only serious when I'm on a high-up ledge of some sort, near the edge; claustrophobia is only serious when my movement is constricted. I also think I have some sort of mild social phobia. I tend to get stressed in large social situations - and sometimes smaller ones, depending on how well I know the people and how friendly they are.

I don't like large amounts of blood and gore, but only when it's real. I can generally put up with fake gore on TV or in films by reminding myself that it's fake. I also don't like the dark, but I don't really find it scary - it just lowers my mood. Maybe I have seasonal affective disorder.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

LittleChrist

Postby LittleChrist » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:14 am UTC

I tend to fear heights only when on ladders/roofs. I'm not sure if its the fear of the ladder or the fear of the falling. I also find myself claustrophobic in dark spaces. I've gotten over the darkness fear for the most part unless its ridiculously black. But if you close my body in a bag/box I get very jumpy. I also hate spiders.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
~ Theodor Seuss Geisel

GCM

Postby GCM » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:18 am UTC

Damn, should've put an other oftion. But then again, that could mean otherphobia (fear of other choices not on the list!)

DJorgensen wrote:I also have a fear of strangulation. I get crazy nervous when people are around my neck), and I freak when people put their arms around my neck :/

Strangulation is cool too. It's what Sam Fisher does :D. Don't suppose you ever?

LittleChrist wrote:I've gotten over the darkness fear for the most part unless its ridiculously black.

I'd be afraid of it only when it's too quiet/I'm in a small space, e.g. narrow corridors, stairs, bathroom.
~Sun Tzu

Deep Thought

Postby Deep Thought » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:18 am UTC

None of the above. Hoplophobia (fear of firearms) might apply. I've never actually been near a gun, but the very thought of a cold steel that has no purpose save to cause suffering sends chills up my spine (that's a rather romanticised image, still). The thought of being paralysed freaks me out too. Actually... a lot (hadn't considered that before). It's not on the Phobia list though, at least as far as I could tell.

Speaking of which, the Phobia List is awesome. Some favourites:
Sinistrophobia- for the sole fact that it actually exists. Fear the left handed!
Consecotaleophobia- Fear of chopsticks
Arachibutyrophobia- Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:28 am UTC

Deep Thought wrote:Sinistrophobia- for the sole fact that it actually exists. Fear the left handed!

That's right! Fear me! Oops... [/crazy]
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Timequake

Postby Timequake » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:29 am UTC

Shakleton wrote:Jellyfishes!

And especially people who keep telling me I don't have to be afraid of jellyfishes. They're always like: "Uuuh, they're just 98% Water" If that happens, I tell them three times they bother me anyway and then count to 20.

So would that be Cnidophobia? Scyphophobia, maybe?
I don't really seem to have any real phobias to deal with. I'm mildly afraid of heights, but only in extreme situations, so I don't think that really counts.
On a side note, I've always thought that gerontophobia (fear of old people) was one of the funnier ones.
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:56 am UTC

GCM wrote:Damn, should've put an other oftion. But then again, that could mean otherphobia (fear of other choices not on the list!)

DJorgensen wrote:I also have a fear of strangulation. I get crazy nervous when people are around my neck), and I freak when people put their arms around my neck :/

Strangulation is cool too. It's what Sam Fisher does :D. Don't suppose you ever?

That I ever which? If its in regards to bedroom strangulation, fuck no. I would not be able to bear that and I could never get into bed with that person again..... Like I said I freak on people and don't stop until they are on the ground.

Oh and I suppose another to add to the list commitmentphobia - fear of commitments (usually in reference to relationships, but it can go much much deeper).
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:10 am UTC

Bees.

BEES.

FUCKING BEES.

Wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, whatever, I DON'T CARE. I got swarmed by wasps when I was younger and stung all over, most notably being stung in the eyes. I'm not sure if it's fear or hate, but it's an unhealthy combination of both. If there's a buzzing I can't identify, even if it's conceivably just a fly, I will either stay rooted until I figure out where it is, or bolt, get something to kill it with, and inch closer. If I have the advantage, I will kill it so many times over and over just to be sure.

I hate bees.
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

GCM

Postby GCM » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:32 pm UTC

How about arachnophobiaphobia? Fear of people who are afraid of spiders!
~Sun Tzu

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:50 pm UTC

GCM wrote:How about arachnophobiaphobia? Fear of people who are afraid of spiders!

PHEAR ME!

>.>

How about phobiaphobiaphobiaphobia?

Fear of people who are scared of people who are scared of fear?

I think.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

tiny

Postby tiny » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:09 pm UTC

I am afraid of clowns. They play the funny guy, but behind that facade they are jerks and quite possibly dangerous.
I also have enochlophobia, but since I rarely leave the house it's not a big problem for me, plus it's getting better together with my general mental health.
My fear of zombies (I actually got nightmares just because someone mentioned the word) went away after I realized that what scared me about zombies was the fact of normal people changing into something danger- and contagious without further notice.
Other than that I'm rather paranoid about making a fool of myself and being disliked.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:12 pm UTC

GCM wrote:How about arachnophobiaphobia? Fear of people who are afraid of spiders!

Surely that's fear of being afraid of spiders? Fear of people who are afraid of spiders would be arachnophobicphobia, no?
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:40 pm UTC

tiny wrote:I am afraid of clowns. They play the funny guy, but behind that facade they are jerks and quite possibly dangerous.
I also have enochlophobia, but since I rarely leave the house it's not a big problem for me, plus it's getting better together with my general mental health.
My fear of zombies (I actually got nightmares just because someone mentioned the word) went away after I realized that what scared me about zombies was the fact of normal people changing into something danger- and contagious without further notice.
Other than that I'm rather paranoid about making a fool of myself and being disliked.

I have to say, I still fear clowns. They smell funny. And make me want to punch them.

I never have feared zombies, just shot them.

But a zombie-clown? NOES! NOES! STAY AWAY!

Hey, does a fear-of-porn-stash-being-found count?

i like pi

Postby i like pi » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:56 pm UTC

I have the weirdest phobia of orange eifful towers, and purple nazis.
Or something to that effect. Hell, I don't know.

tiny

Postby tiny » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:I never have feared zombies, just shot them.
Actually, it all started with Resident Evil. My brother played it, I watched him do so for two minutes, I hid under my bed, shaking like an idiot. Ok, that last part is a bit over the top, but the sound effects of the item menu already gave me the creeps.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

Mister_Penguin

Postby Mister_Penguin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

Uuuhhh. I hate moths, too. I've never been quite sure if it's a phobia or not, though. I don't really get severe anxiety around them. I will however, squeal and flail my arms senselessly if I encounter a moth. I just recoil and shudder at the sight of a moth. Especially the fat, fuzzy, kind with noisy wings and juicy thoraxes. uhhh. geez. that description kinda grossed me out.
I tried watching youtube videos of moths a minute ago, and I just kind of recoiled away from the screen.
"Only on XKCD do we try to figure out which tessellating shape for burgers results in the least waste-meat." -aleflamedyud

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

tiny wrote:
Actually, it all started with Resident Evil. My brother played it, I watched him do so for two minutes, I hid under my bed, shaking like an idiot. Ok, that last part is a bit over the top, but the sound effects of the item menu already gave me the creeps.

My first experience with zombie style things was Dawn of the Dead... or possibly Land of the Dead... one of those ones anyway... and I loved it. I used to sneak downstairs whilst my sister was watching scary movies with her friends while she was babysitting me.

Hey! Another one!

When I was little, I got a flu/cold/fever kind of thing, and I couldn't sleep at all... and I was awake in my bed, shivering, yet sweating, unable to sleep for quite a while... and I had horrible hallucinations of my family attacking me with a candelabra, my sister poking me in the eyes when I poked my head out from under the covers, and various other hallucinations...

I was so scared.

I think I have an idea what it must be like to have a bad trip on LSD or shrooms.

But that's another phobia... fear of bad hallucinations.

karmiclube
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby karmiclube » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

being known, and found wanting. :(

though as far as phobias go, i suppose agoraphobia. not so much a fan of crowds, kthx. also, i HATE ants, but wouldn't call it a phobia, exactly. i'm ant-thropic, i guess. :lol:
Spoiler:

GCM

Postby GCM » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:55 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:

Surely that's fear of being afraid of spiders? Fear of people who are afraid of spiders would be arachnophobicphobia, no?

Honestly, I have no idea. You can come across the weirdest things on [urlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phob#Jocular_and_fictional_phobias]wikipedia[/url], since it's open for anyone to edit.

tiny wrote:

Zombies? I love zombies! And guns! So Resident Evil was really awesome for me! Too bad I never finished it: That's what I hate about these kinds of games where you don't know where to go or what to do. And even if you do know, you can't tell what you can touch or where you can run into invisible walls. Got through 2 and 3, though. And 4, which was really refreshing, though sad that it's not the original.

The item menu sounds were great! I don't know what they did, but it just sounds so good. And the theme too.
~Sun Tzu

annals

Postby annals » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:40 am UTC

Nebuduck wrote:
GCM wrote:

So, presumably:
Lutraornithophobia: fear of otters and birds. Or, you know, fear of the terrifying otter-bird with fur and a beak which can swim and is venomous. Which I originally meant as a joke, but just realised: Otterbird = Platypus.

Obviously it's intended as an "Other" option - the majority of polls here have "Otter/Duck" as an option.

Yes, the horrible otter-bird! Haven't you heard of it? Actually I used the ornithophobia because it was the closest I could find for fear of ducks. Turns out someone ninjad me on the whole thing anyhow, and I didn't notice it when I posted. Oops.

GCM

Postby GCM » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:33 am UTC

annals wrote:
Nebuduck wrote:
GCM wrote:

So, presumably:

Yes, the horrible otter-bird! Haven't you heard of it? Actually I used the ornithophobia because it was the closest I could find for fear of ducks. Turns out someone ninjad me on the whole thing anyhow, and I didn't notice it when I posted. Oops.

Just did actually :).
~Sun Tzu

klimtogger

Postby klimtogger » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:59 pm UTC

nyeguy wrote:Anyway, I can't think of anything offhand I am really afraid of, among the common phobias. It isn't really a fear, but needles puncturing the skin creeps me out (I get chills down my spine and everything).

Oh yeah...anything relatively sharp scares the hell out of me. That handy list someone linked to says its called aichmophobia. Oh and bees scare me too even though I have never been stung. Even if I know it won't hurt much, anything piercing the skin is just horrifying.

Awia

Postby Awia » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:08 pm UTC

Not really a phobia, but I am uneasy about entering a dark space from a light one, you never know what could be waiting for you...
Though I am afraid of dropping things from high up, being stung and losing other peoples stuff.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Cornelius

Postby Cornelius » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

Bizzarely, my only fear is of falling.

I used to be afraid of the dark, then I started watching horror movies and somehow that cleared up. I'm aware that that makes little sense.
ImageImageImage

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:06 pm UTC

Apart from a couple on that list, I'm afraid of flesh-eating zombies.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

fersrs

Postby fersrs » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:05 am UTC

I absolutely hate airplanes. Riding in them is terrifying until the plane gets so high up it looks surreal, and every time and airplane flies over, I get this weird feeling of "OH NO WE'RE GONNA BE BOMBED". Also, I'm rather paranoid of strangers; if there's somebody on my path, I'll try not to be seen.

Oh, and whenever I hear the sound of a ball being kicked/batted/thrown/flying through the air, I duck and cover my head. I was never the best at sports which resulted in more than a few incidents.

GCM

Postby GCM » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:24 am UTC

Meowgan wrote:Apart from a couple on that list, I'm afraid of flesh-eating zombies.

That's zombie discrimination! :shock:
~Sun Tzu

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:04 am UTC

None of these really apply to me. I don't like large insects or arachnids (small ones don't matter), but I can put up with them long enough to remove them from my immediate area. I just tend to think of the worst case scenario for things like claustrophobia, radiophobia, and aviophobia.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Return to “General”