Non-Americans and the upcoming election

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Which candidate? (Non US citizens only)

John McCain
2%
Hillary Clinton
1%
Barack Obama
75%
Either Democrat
8%
Otter/Duck
14%

Total votes: 158

Blubb3r3ng3l

Non-Americans and the upcoming election

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:35 pm UTC

Well, I see the issue has been touched on in a couple other threads, but I think a running poll for ONLY NON US CITIZENS could be interesting, since there appears to be a rather large portion of the XKCD community not from the US.

Basically, who do YOU want to see be elected in the 2k8 election? I'll stick to the 2 party system; yes, I think even the anarchists field regular candidates, but lets be honest, Jessie Ventura was the last independent to get elected to any position with reasonable clout.

So, Hillary, Barack, or John?

I'll throw in Democrat party line as an option if you really don't care.

and the wildlife delegation always fields the obligatory Otter/Duck
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

|Erasmus|
Branson

Re: Non-Americans and the upcoming election

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

NOT Hilary, and McCain just doesn't come across as a decent candidate, so Obama, ftw.

Have they -still- not decided who's running for the democrats yet? This has been going for months.

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:48 pm UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:NOT Hilary, and McCain just doesn't come across as a decent candidate, so Obama, ftw.

Have they -still- not decided who's running for the democrats yet? This has been going for months.

oh god, you don't know the half of it. I get to see TV commercials for it... bumper stickers... billboards... it's terrible.

Also, if it goes to superdelegates HOORAY PUPPET DEMOCRACY

*sigh*
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

I like our system... shouldn't the party the president is meant to be leading to the election vote for who they want to have the job, and save all this hassle.

Not that I trust politicians to make a good decision, of course, but if they choose someone horrible, then their party will just get stomped... of course, that -could- have landed us with hilary and mcCain as candidates, and that would have made me even more pitying of most of the people in the US.

Andrew

Postby Andrew » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

I vote Obama. (In this poll. Obviously I can't vote in the real one.) Clinton seems more concerned with being President than with improving the country, and will try to achieve it even if it means giving up all chance being vice-president in a democrat whitehouse and doing some good, and McCain is a republican. I mean, one of the smarter ones, but that's kinda like being Yakko. I don't like Otter Duck's economic policy.

Like the other week, when Clinton jumped all over Obama for some fairly reasonable comments made in private that can be made to sound elitist if you take away all context. Which would be almost forgiveable, if she hadn't been caught telling actual outright lies -- no amount of context will make "ran for cover with our heads down" mean "smiled and calmly greeted a small girl". Oh, so she "misspoke"? That's alright then. She just misspoke, on three separate occasions. Yeah, okay, but if it's 3AM and there's a phone ringing in the Whitehouse, I don't want someone to answer it and misspeak!

Frankly I can almost understand Obama supporters threatening to switch to the republicans if she's nominated. At least they're mental in a predictable way.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:59 pm UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:I like our system... shouldn't the party the president is meant to be leading to the election vote for who they want to have the job, and save all this hassle.

Well, they are, just in a massively more complex system. I don't quite see why there's all this delegate and superdelegate business. Party members vote, all on the same day, done.

Anyway, Obama is the only choice that I would be happy with. I think he'd make the US a country to respect again. He's honest, intelligent and makes informed choices that are not based on his personal beliefs and prejudices.

So, a plea; PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE vote Obama, America. The rest of the world will thank you for it.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:02 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:
|Erasmus| wrote:I like our system... shouldn't the party the president is meant to be leading to the election vote for who they want to have the job, and save all this hassle.

Well, they are, just in a massively more complex system. I don't quite see why there's all this delegate and superdelegate business. Party members vote, all on the same day, done.

Anyway, Obama is the only choice that I would be happy with. I think he'd make the US a country to respect again. He's honest, intelligent and makes informed choices that are not based on his personal beliefs and prejudices.

So, a plea; PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE vote Obama, America. The rest of the world will thank you for it.

So I guess a caveat question would be 'what does the rest of the world think of America? Do you understand fully that a majority of us don't like what is going on?'

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:03 am UTC

If that country was even remotely interested in international relations, they'd not even bother with an election, and put Obama in the whitehouse on the throne tomorrow.
Last edited by |Erasmus| on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:04 am UTC

Blubb3r3ng3l wrote:So I guess a caveat question would be 'what does the rest of the world think of America? Do you understand fully that a majority of us don't like what is going on?'
You're not the ones I'm pleading to.

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:37 am UTC

So yes. I'm glad to see the rest of the world understands now that we're not all psychotic. There had to have been some time a few years back when 'Americans are hicks' could be a pretty acceptable blanket statement.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:45 am UTC

Blubb3r3ng3l wrote:So yes. I'm glad to see the rest of the world understands now that we're not all psychotic. There had to have been some time a few years back when 'Americans are hicks' could be a pretty acceptable blanket statement.

In all fairness the impression I've got from my sociology and government classes is that the world like the American people, they just hate American government policy, and on occasion make a stereotype about Americans similar to the stereotypes some Americans make about I dunno, the French?

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:52 am UTC

Blubb3r3ng3l wrote:So yes. I'm glad to see the rest of the world understands now that we're not all psychotic. There had to have been some time a few years back when 'Americans are hicks' could be a pretty acceptable blanket statement.

you're not -all- psychotic, but going with what lorenith said about us hating your government, that is true. But then, really, who votes for that government, if not americans.

Although I have met a decent number of you on the internets who are great people and are intelligent, there seem to be a disproportionate number of americans who:
a) are not politically aware and still vote.
b) vote for religious reasons (It has been mentioned that bush only won because -all- his conservative christian buddies got him in).
c) are stupid.

It's probably more a combination of 1 and 2. I know I find it hard to believe there are so many people in my own country that 'support' a particular political party. And by this I mean, invariably support them, not just at one election... Doesn't it defeat the point of a democracy to just blindly vote for one party pretty much regardless of what policies they are forcing down our throats this time.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:56 am UTC

lorenith wrote:

In all fairness the impression I've got from my sociology and government classes is that the world like the American people, they just hate American government policy, and on occasion make a stereotype about Americans similar to the stereotypes some Americans make about I dunno, the French?

I dunno. I've liked every American I've met. But I also see on TV a lot I don't. I think we in English-speaking countries get a slightly raw deal because we get to see that side of America, whereas we don't really get to see stupid French or German people with crazy views. The caveat to that is that the French or Germans don't have as much influence on the world as America does, so we don't care as much about their views either.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:17 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:I dunno. I've liked every American I've met. But I also see on TV a lot I don't. I think we in English-speaking countries get a slightly raw deal because we get to see that side of America, whereas we don't really get to see stupid French or German people with crazy views. The caveat to that is that the French or Germans don't have as much influence on the world as America does, so we don't care as much about their views either.

I'm not sure how that has much to do with "Most people like Americans, but they don't tend to like American Policy."

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:27 am UTC

OK, people. We've already had several threads recently about "how Americans are". Let's not have another one, please. Stick to the poll topic.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:30 am UTC

So... why not Hillary, just to be specific?

Oort

Postby Oort » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:38 am UTC

Re: why not Hillary?

(I'm from the US) I think (some) people dislike Hillary partly because of the way her campaign has been run. For example, she lied about the Bosnia incident, and she tends to take shots at Obama whenever she can (like the recent bitter remarks or his preacher's remarks). She also seems to be running as a female candidate, in the way that Obama is not running as a black candidate. I don't mean I would mind a female president, I just want some better reasons.

Part of it is their policies, on health care, the economy, etc., which varies by person.

Also, she voted for the war in Iraq, which has become unpopular. That probably hurts her.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:46 am UTC

I (as an American) just don't like her attitude, I know that politicians have to run with focus of getting into office, because they can't do anything without getting into office first. But she just seems to run it into the ground. It seems more like she wants to be president with little care of how she gets into the office or the point to being in the office, so much as she just wants the prestige of getting in. I hate how she toutes her sex too. Voting on sex, or race, or even political party in my opinion is silly.

It just doesn't seem like she really honestly has the countries best interest at heart to me, so much as her own personal interest, and that really really bugs me to the degree she has shown this.

I've heard some conservatives reason that they don't want her in office because certain other countries would have no respect for a country run by a woman. (Not that these certain countries have respect for the Country as it is, but I guess it's a point that makes sense in a way).

Habz

Postby Habz » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:23 am UTC

Personally, I'd like to see some changes happening in american politics. No offence, but it sometimes seems a bit "left-behind" on several sectors.

I don't see anything much happening in case McCain was chosen, so he's out of the question.

Hillary is... well... Hillary. I had nothing against her about a year ago, but during her campaign she's come off as quite a bitch on several occasions. Lorenith and Oort already pretty much summed up my thoughts on her.

Obama would be my choice. He seems like a good chap and I feel that he'd have the drive to actually make a difference. To make a change.

Not to mention that, in case Hillary becomes the democrats' candidate, McCain might as well move into White House right away...

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:53 am UTC

America != Democrasy

The vote does VERY little diffrence, not enough vote and the private sector rules it all anyway. But still I'd vote for Obama, for the symbolism. If there is a black man on the throne, perhaps alot of previously uninterested persons will actually care for the politics of the country. (Read : Black men)
I pretty much think the US is doomed to become a third world country, sooner or later.
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:30 am UTC

Again, i'm showing the Obama love, as a non US citizen. He seems focussed, intelligent and determined enough to see things through. It's exciting that a woman and a man of a different ethnicity are in the race for the presidency, but this shouldn't be the aspect to decide the matter. However, on a more a personal note, his talk of his mixed race upbringing has been fantastic and something I can relate to SO MUCH, as a bi-racial lady. It gives me hope for progress on race relations in America.
i dare you to take me on...

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:56 am UTC

Hmm, it really is a tough call on who I want the Yanks to elect. On one side it's McCain (who apparently is linked with the British chip (french fries) industry), with his "Bomb Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran [We'll have you rockin and a rollin, boppin an a reelin, Bomb Iran, Bomb Bomb, B-Bomb Bomb Iran]" stance.
On the other side it's Hill-bill-ary (not my joke, it's off a fridge magnet) Clinton, raking in the feminists, matched up against Barrack Osama/O'bummer, raking in the votes with the 'token black guy appeal', impressive rhetoric and a bit more 'freedom'.

As I'd rather the British global rep doesn't get tarnished by another conflict it doesn't need, someone with an aggressive foreign policy in the White House would make me feel uneasy.

Hillary would be OK. Her husband did a decent job last time around, but her regular counter in debates is only along the lines of "I'm more experienced, I've been Senator, First Lady for X years while my opponent has only been Y for Z period of time."

On the other hand, Obama plays the "She voted Yes to the Gulf Wars: Episode II" card, so he's just about as bad as her, but she edges ahead in these repeated bouts by attacking Mr. Dubya for misleading the nation.

Obama seems to have this really liberal stance when it comes to the Interwebz, Creative Commons and all this privacy and file-sharing business. As all I have to go off regarding this are Mr. Xkcd and Mr. J. Coulton's respective interblag postings, I'm sceptical yet intrigued.

In terms of preference for actual policy, Obama.
In terms of preference for providing more muses for the various political cartoonists and Dead Ringers cast members, maybe McCain.
Although, American really has "No Country For Old Men", and it can be safely said that "There Will Be Blood" between Obama and Clinton. [Paraphrased from a Times Peter Brookes cartoon]

Maybe Mr. Otter-Duck for Mr. President would work wonders...

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:22 pm UTC

I'm not an american, so I don't care who you elect. I have no way to affect the outcome, so why should I get attached to one or another?

Otter/duck.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:56 pm UTC

Gharbad wrote:I'm not an american, so I don't care who you elect. I have no way to affect the outcome, so why should I get attached to one or another?

Otter/duck.

My thoughts, and vote, explained more concisely than I could ever explain myself.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

The Spherical Cow

Postby The Spherical Cow » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

Gharbad wrote:I'm not an american, so I don't care who you elect. I have no way to affect the outcome, so why should I get attached to one or another?

Otter/duck.

Mostly because countries aren't completely isolated from each other and so the policies of one country can heavily affect another. Couple that with the fact that the USA is a pretty huge player in international politics (if not the largest) and it becomes quickly obvious why foreigners do have an interest in the outcome.

You may not be able to cast your vote, but that doesn't mean you can't have a preference for a winner.

I would probably vote Obama, was I an American. Largely for the reasons already expressed in the thread.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:14 pm UTC

Frankly I can almost understand Obama supporters threatening to switch to the republicans if she's nominated.

I can't.

Policy-wise, they're nearly identical, and they've both been gorram terrible to each other in this campaign, Hillary just gets cast as an awful, vindictive shrew because it fits the narrative the press has constructed for her*. I wonder why they can get away with that?

Meanwhile, McCain is basically just George Bush. At some time in the past he might not have been, but that time is gone now, and there remains only terrible.

Don't get me wrong, I still support Obama over Hillary for several reasons, but if somehow she makes the nomination, I will be voting for her, and encouraging everyone I know to do the same. Switching to McCain because you're upset over losing your favorite candidate is the most idiotic form of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

*(and here's the part where I apologize to several of the people I disagreed with while I was still buying into that narrative. Sorry. I fucked up)
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:15 pm UTC

Yes, but having a preference means that I'm simply hoping with no way to affect that. Campaigning will have no effect, and neither will talking about it.

In my mind, thinking one is better than the other really doesn't help much, so I try not to have one. I'd probably vote for Obama if I were american, but then again, I haven't payed enough attention at this point in time to have a good opinion. If I were an american, I would be voting, so I would put more effort into choosing one, and thus may chose a different option. But since I'm not voting, and have put no effort into learning about the candidates, I don't want to have a preference.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

GCM

Postby GCM » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:20 pm UTC

Not that I can make a difference, but since I'm most likely going to college in the US in the fall, whoever gets elected will, in a way, be my president for the next four years. It seems the world needs a break from Mr Bush, and from Yale graduates.

Obama. No question.

Though young, as explained by
Dobblesworth wrote:"I'm more experienced, I've been Senator, First Lady for X years while my opponent has only been Y for Z period of time."
, I think that's what America needs. A new image. A different person. And I don't just mean a black man, or a female president.

Not to say that John McCain doesn't interest me. He's certainly got strong values, and is quite upstanding and tough. And unafraid to go against the flow. If Obama weren't here, I'd pick him.

Oh yes, otters/ducks are not too far behind Obama on my list. The world needs more Aves/Mammalian politicians. Plus, I've heard ducks are quite tasty.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:21 pm UTC

I voted either democrat.
Although I like Obama much more than Hilary (especially after the pot shots she takes and the Bosnia thing), I don't know much/anything about their actual policies, so I don't think I can pick one over the other based only on the personalities I've seen in the media.

dic_penderyn

Postby dic_penderyn » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:17 pm UTC

First off, hello to everybody.

This is my first post , been a silent reader for a while but I have decided to sign up and start getting involved in the forum a bit more .

I am not American but if I was, I would probably vote for Obama, failing that Clinton. I think Obama would make a great leader and his desire to make change seems genuine.

That said, ANYBODY must be better than the guy in charge now. :shock:

Of Negligible Mass

Postby Of Negligible Mass » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:17 pm UTC

I was for either Democrat for a long time, but the Bosnia incident really annoyed me. You've got to expect a little exaggeration, but blatant, and easily verifiable, lying just pisses me off. Hilary was insulting the intelligence of the American people (which is the job of comedians worldwide, not politicians).

Pro-Obama.
Don't like it?

... Neither did I

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

Otter/duck.

What country are you from? I bet we could list over 20 ways that a change in American politics would effect you.

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

I'm not especially well informed about this election, but to be honest intelligent people whose opinions I tend to agree with all seem to be rooting for Obama, so he's who I'd back if I were given the choice. That or the Otter/Duck coalition, anyway.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

simo

Postby simo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:43 pm UTC

Obama. Clinton seems like she has too many vested interests.

...Although it totally got used against him, I love that quote about middle America hiding behind their faith and their guns.

doc leech

Postby doc leech » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

No McCain love? Oh well... I'll be voting for the guy, but seems I'll be the only one, heh.
Float like a float-bot, sting like an automatic stinging machine

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Frankly I can almost understand Obama supporters threatening to switch to the republicans if she's nominated.

Meanwhile, McCain is basically just George Bush. At some time in the past he might not have been, but that time is gone now, and there remains only terrible.

I used to be the same way--that is, I'd vote for McCain before I'd vote for Hilary. But, I'm thinking of McCain in what he was like, say, 3-5 years ago. The way he's been in this campaign is extremely unsettling.

I think he's good for the Republican party, in that the extreme conservatives really don't like him. The less the Republican party is influenced by them, the better. But it seems that his campaign ever since he clinched the nomination has been more about shoring up his support among arch-conservatives than reaching out to the middle. It's, I think, a bad strategy, and one that's convinced me not to vote for him in any circumstance this November.

I'm American, so I won't respond to this poll. But, I'm definitely voting for Obama this November if he's still on the ballot. If for some awful reason he's not, and Hilary takes the nomination instead... I'll think about it. But I don't see any situation in which I'd vote for McCain any longer. KF
~Kizyr

GCM

Postby GCM » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:04 am UTC

simo wrote:...Although it totally got used against him, I love that quote about middle America hiding behind their faith and their guns.

Hey! What's wrong with hiding behind guns?

MoonBuggy wrote:I'm not especially well informed about this election, but to be honest intelligent people whose opinions I tend to agree with all seem to be rooting for Obama, so he's who I'd back if I were given the choice. That or the Otter/Duck coalition, anyway.

I'm not really surprised that the majority of XKCDians are for Obama, actually. It's not always best to go for what other people think, but you made a point.

Also, I got the feeling earlier; is there some joke I'm not getting about Otter/Duck?
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Oort

Postby Oort » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:23 am UTC

It's an ongoing joke in poll topics. I think it started out as someone misspelling "other" and just became popular.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:09 am UTC

Belial wrote:

I can't.

Policy-wise, they're nearly identical, and they've both been gorram terrible to each other in this campaign, Hillary just gets cast as an awful, vindictive shrew because it fits the narrative the press has constructed for her*. I wonder why they can get away with that?

Don't get me wrong, I still support Obama over Hillary for several reasons, but if somehow she makes the nomination, I will be voting for her, and encouraging everyone I know to do the same. Switching to McCain because you're upset over losing your favorite candidate is the most idiotic form of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

*(and here's the part where I apologize to several of the people I disagreed with while I was still buying into that narrative. Sorry. I fucked up)

I don't know how much of anything about Hilary is built up by the media, but really, actively lying to the public (not just leaving something out, or missing a detail), going out of her way to say things that are blatantly untrue. If she's willing to do it in her campaign she is willing to do it as President. And to be honest, that is unacceptable.

Anyone voting for her is saying that such things are perfectly alright.

If Obama doesn't get the democrat nomination, you should vote for McCain. He may be George Bush (so you probably just mean he's a bumbling idiot), but that's better than someone who thinks she is superior to the office, and has no respect for the position. If she's willing to lie to get into office, I don't see any hope for her, and really, can't respect anyone who would vote for someone like that.

Again, I don't see too much about what's being made of her in the media, but I'm reasonably certain they didn't manage to completely fabricate her 'mis-speaking', which is a laod of crap. She didn't intend to say something else and have it come out as that... It was a blatant and obvious lie.

schmiggen

Postby schmiggen » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:33 am UTC

I'm American, but I voted otter/duck so I could see the poll results. I'll be voting Obama if I can, Clinton if I can't.
Kabann wrote:Aw hell, as far as I'm concerned the world started in late 1967. Everything else is just semantics and busy-work.

Return to “General”