Do you actually enjoy your job?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Do you enjoy your job?

I enjoy my job
62%
I do not enjoy my job
38%

Total votes: 109

goblin_subway
Location: Kansas City, Kansas, USoA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Do you actually enjoy your job?

Postby goblin_subway » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:33 am UTC

First off, if I had the option I would do nothing for the rest of my life. However, I have to work, so I need a job. I am a cabinetmaker and under the assumption that I have to have a job... I really enjoy what I do. Thoughts?
I am Jack's overused quote.
Oh, almost forgot. Fuck MENSA.

4=5

Re: Do you actually enjoy your job?

Postby 4=5 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:34 am UTC

you have slighted the platapussies
and, I don't enjoy my job I really enjoy my coworkers,
is job satisfaction, money or coworkers most important to you?

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:02 am UTC

I do enjoy my job, and in a couple of years I should be getting pretty good money for it. Even my coworkers are tolerable, though not the sort of folk I'd hang out with on a Friday night for the most part. Some of the other people around my age are cool though.

If I had a choice between doing a job I like and sitting at home doing nothing, I think I'd take the job. Nothing is great as a change, but I would be bored out of my brains after a month or so.

SabreKGB

Postby SabreKGB » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:16 am UTC

I fly planes. They pay me to fly planes. They pay me to fly planes. Is the world topsy-turvy or what?

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:28 am UTC

I fix things! For the most part I really do enjoy my job and for the most people I work with some great people. There will always be bits that are not so great, but I am fine with that.
COMFORT, n.
A state of mind produced by contemplation of a neighbor's uneasiness.

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:40 am UTC

I do.

I work at an animal shelter while going to school. There are some great dogs there!
Live with passion. Die with passion.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:04 am UTC

All I do now is work in a supermarket, and it's frustrating and boring at times, but yeah I do enjoy it.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:25 am UTC

I do enjoy my job. Sure I've been stuck in a mind numbing project for a few months, so I don't enjoy my work atm, but I like my job. It's challenging and gratifying (must solve problem! Hey, problem solved!), my colleagues are cool, it's better than wasting away on the sofa (and I know myself, I would probably allow myself to do that if I didn't work) and I get money.

I could do without Monday mornings, and I sometimes I wish I had more time to spend on other important things, though.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:40 am UTC

To say that I enjoy my work would be pulling it a tiny bit too far. I don't dislike it, but it's not insanely gratifying either, yet I'd much rather do this than sit at home.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

TheStranger

Postby TheStranger » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:09 pm UTC

Though my job can be dull at times(what job isn't) overall I enjoy it.
"To bow before the pressure of the ignorant is weakness."
Azalin Rex, Wizard-King of Darkon

Indon

Postby Indon » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:01 pm UTC

Love my job. I wish I wasn't financially pressured to perform my job, but if I wasn't I'd still do it (or at least, work in the same field) anyway.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

tiny

Postby tiny » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:51 pm UTC

Up until now I hated every job I ever had. Because I had coworkers. And they tried to do small talk to me (yes, *to* me). Irl. Wtf? Can't they just write a mail and spare me having to stand their physical presence?
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

tiny wrote:Up until now I hated every job I ever had. Because I had coworkers. And they tried to do small talk to me (yes, *to* me). Irl. Wtf? Can't they just write a mail and spare me having to stand their physical presence?

...The monsters.

(Sorry; I'm probably missing the context here. Why is this so objectionable?)

Anyway, I'm a grad student. They pay me to do research. Yay.

tiny

Postby tiny » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:22 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Sorry; I'm probably missing the context here. Why is this so objectionable?
Because I'm not a very social person. The mere physical presence of people strains (and annoys) me and I'm afraid that they could take it personally that I don't like them and am not interested in their small talk.
All that changes drastically when the contact happens only in written form, like on the net.

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:31 pm UTC

I enjoy my job right now, but that's probably more due to the fact that it's a work-study job where I essentially get paid to sit around and surf the internet.

Probably a better way for me to respond is "will I enjoy the job I get once I graduate?". For me, the answer to that question is probably "yes". I'm a music major, so if I get any job in my field I'll most likely be enjoying it (it won't pay very well, but if I cared about that, I'd be a business major).
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

Nath wrote:I'm a grad student. They pay me to do research. Yay.

Isn't it bloody brilliant. I love it. Making breakthroughs and discovering new things is a fantastic feeling.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Wormwood

Postby Wormwood » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:09 am UTC

Jesse wrote:All I do now is work in a supermarket, and it's frustrating and boring at times, but yeah I do enjoy it.

I also work in a supermarket, and it does get very boring. The good thing about it is that my work is fairly relaxed, not challenging, and in no way gratifying, so i can just switch off. I don't concentrate on what I'm doing.

But yeah, I'm on minimum wage, I have one friend, who I'm not allowed to talk to, I have to wear shoes, I work 9 hours a day. I hate my job.

On the plus side, the hours are such that I can sleep in.
Bakemaster wrote:DOGGIE STYLE IS THOUGHTCRIME-SODOMY

UmbralRaptor

Postby UmbralRaptor » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:23 am UTC

This really needs an "Otter" choice. Or a "Both."

I (currently) am a math (and low level science) tutor. This has its cool and fun moments, but also lots of frustrating ones. The pay is lousy, but at least I get to sit down, and the room is comfortable...
Why do you assume that I exist?

goblin_subway

Postby goblin_subway » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:33 am UTC

I played with Legos endlessly as a child. At some point I decided I wanted to build things. I am now in the business of designing/ making cabinets. There are bad/ annoying parts that everyone has mentioned, but overall I love it.
Those of you that voted in the "I do not like my job" area, reconsider what you are doing. Money is nice and all, but consider the large percentage of your life that is spent at work.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:56 am UTC

My job pays for school. It doesn't matter if I like it or not (I don't.)

goblin_subway

Postby goblin_subway » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:59 am UTC

Ok.... crap. I phrased the question improperly. I meant do you enjoy your career?..... I can see putting up with a crap job as a means to an end.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:00 am UTC

Wormwood wrote:
Jesse wrote:All I do now is work in a supermarket, and it's frustrating and boring at times, but yeah I do enjoy it.

I also work in a supermarket, and it does get very boring. The good thing about it is that my work is fairly relaxed, not challenging, and in no way gratifying, so i can just switch off. I don't concentrate on what I'm doing.

But yeah, I'm on minimum wage, I have one friend, who I'm not allowed to talk to, I have to wear shoes, I work 9 hours a day. I hate my job.

On the plus side, the hours are such that I can sleep in.

I figure it's all in how you approach it. Instead of seeing it as a necessary evil I see it as a challenge. I'll do something different each day, Friday I decided to try and serve more people than the person working behind me. It was hilarious, with us always trying to steal each others customers and breaking down into giggling fits when customers ignored us both and went somewhere else.

As well as that I love the customers, there's an old guy who can't pack his bags, and I do it for him every week and he's just so grateful for something that takes no effort on my part. It's wonderful to be able to help people like that. Some guy in a wheelchair who comes in on a Tuesday, and always rags on me for working in a supermarket, so I leave items just out of his reach to try and make him stand up and prove he doesn't need the chair. Sure, sometimes it can be crap, the hours are long, wages are rubbish, but I just love it anyway, because there's no point hating things, only serves to make you miserable.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:03 am UTC

And the award for Best Attitude goes to... *drumroll*
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

l33t_sas

Postby l33t_sas » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:46 am UTC

I work in McDonalds, it's alright I guess, as long as I don't have to clean, but I wouldn't say I enjoy it. My coworkers aren't really the kind of people I'd choose to hang around with and constantly having to make small talk can be a real strain for me. Still, it's taught me to handle talking to other people a lot better (and I don't even serve the public!) so while I don't enjoy it, I'd say it's been a good experience thus far.
You're thinking of a Pegasus. Unicorns don't fly, they just sort of... plummet.

tiny

Postby tiny » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:34 pm UTC

goblin_subway wrote:I meant do you enjoy your career?
I don't yet have one, but I've been wanting to become an undertaker for many years now, and I've done a lot of research about it, talked to many people, and I think I will like it a lot.
Nine months till uni is over, then my apprenticeship will begin :-D

Simbera

Postby Simbera » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:46 pm UTC

I don't think I would be very happy doing it in the long-term as it's not very meaningful, but I do quite enjoy my current part-time job as a bartender. It fits well around Uni and pays well, so it works well on those accounts, but it's quite an enjoyable job anyway, and has helped me a lot with talking to strangers in short bursts.

As I said I don't think I'd want to do it for the rest of my life but that's more because I would want to do more; if I was writing meaningful pieces of poetry or philosophy but had to bartend to pay the bills, I would probably be quite okay with that.

<^>
“From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.” – Edvard Munch

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:54 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:As well as that I love the customers, there's an old guy who can't pack his bags, and I do it for him every week and he's just so grateful for something that takes no effort on my part. It's wonderful to be able to help people like that.

I used to love working retail/customer service jobs for exactly that sort of reason. I used to work for Directory Enquiries here and I remember one old guy who was trying to publish a book but didn't know who to talk to. Having worked in Waterstone's before, I had a decent idea so I did everything I could to help him, gave out more numbers than we were technically supposed to and spent about five minutes on the phone even though we got bonuses for low call times. He was so appreciative, and I know that I really helped that guy out. That sort of thing makes all the shit customers worthwhile.

Malice

Postby Malice » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

I don't have a job. I enjoy being a student, though; probably I'll miss the pressure to actually think and analyze after I graduate.
I work during the summers, so I have money for textbooks and things. Usually temp work, which can be very boring but at least carries with it no responsibilities and it changes constantly. I also do data entry, which I do well, and which requires no active thought from me, no people skills, no dress code... usually I can listen to music, too. One job like that, I got away with bringing my laptop and watching movies while I worked. Damn near went through my whole collection by the end of the summer.

My career will hopefully be as a filmmaker in one or more capacity, and I intend to enjoy that very much, despite the pressure and long hours.

Sabine

Postby Sabine » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:20 pm UTC

I went to college and got a degree in a medical related field. Then I got a job in the field, applied my knowledge and was generally satisfied with my job even if I had crappy hours and no set schedule and I almost never got weekends off, at least I was doing something I knew. Then I got laid off - and rehired by the same company in a completely different area and now I'm in data entry and bored out of my skull. The sooner I make enough money to go back to school the better off I'll be, I want to get out of the medical field and into a different area of my field. Before I fall asleep in another meeting because it's all so boring right now.

I also used to have a job at Borders and that was fine helping people find books and if work was slow I could always go alphabetize a section of the store and laugh at all the insecure idiots who like leaving sex books in non-sex areas.

yoni45

Postby yoni45 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

I teach, and I'm starting my own business, and I'm absolutely loving both.

Keeping in mind, I teach for a private company (Princeton Review), and the content's limited to standardized test prep, which means it's not the most "standard" of teaching jobs. Of few SAT classes I've taught (as opposed to LSAT and other graduate level tests), I've had only one truly "rowdy" class of highschoolers - an experience that's left me less than envious of the regular high school teachers... ^_^
I sell LSAT courses and LSAT course accessories. Admittedly, we're still working on the accessories.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:09 pm UTC

I really do enjoy my job, for several reasons. I feel satisfied in what I do, year-to-year I can do something a bit different, it's challenging enough, I get along well with my coworkers, our supervisor is great, and I feel my contributions are recognized and appreciated (not to mention compensated).

4=5 wrote:and, I don't enjoy my job I really enjoy my coworkers,
is job satisfaction, money or coworkers most important to you?

There's not much of a way to separate each of those. Job satisfaction is really closely tied to the people you work with (or work for), and to money, though not necessarily the amount.

Not just for me, but consistently from nearly everyone I know who's worked through one or more full-time jobs, the thing that affects their enjoyment of that job is their coworkers. You can really like what you do, but lousy coworkers can ruin it all. Similarly, you might find the job itself rather plain, but coworkers you really like can make it worthwhile.

Regarding money, it's a bit different situation. For me, what's most important is that I feel I'm fairly compensated for what I do, and that there's a financial incentive for working hard or effectively. But, how money relates to job satisfaction can vary widely from person to person, so I haven't noticed any particular consistency there. KF
~Kizyr

Wormwood

Postby Wormwood » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

goblin_subway wrote:Ok.... crap. I phrased the question improperly. I meant do you enjoy your career?..... I can see putting up with a crap job as a means to an end.

My crap job is a means to an end. I'm going to quit in July, and am saving an incredible amount of money, so I can finance a road trip to a rave. If I get $3000, I will be able to pay for all my friends to join me.

I don't have any particular career in mind, as nothing really interests me right now, so I figure I'm going to keep doing jobs like the one I have now until I'm about 25, and by then I should have found something I like enough to do forever.

Manderley

Postby Manderley » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

I'm a costume designer, which means long hours, sore fingers and shoulders, and working with overinflated egos, so usually by hellweek I want to kill things. But I really do love every minute of my job.
I self medicate.

With tea.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:19 am UTC

I too work at a supermarket (well, really freaking huge grocery store), and my attitude is somewhere between Jesse and Wormwood. I really like all the people and everything, but there are only so many bags of groceries you can create before you want to kill yourself.

The boredom is reaching previously unseen heights right now. In order to get through the day I factor numbers, recite showtunes and poetry, and have fantasies, both sexual and platonic. (TMI? Sorry.) The fact that I can bag the groceries while doing all of this just goes to show the tiny percentage of brainpower my job takes. Good thing I'm leaving after the summer, or I think I would go mad.

So, I guess, not enjoy. I like that I can trust my coworkers and bosses to be competent and friendly, but other than that...ugh. My mind, it screams for stimulation!
Raise up the torch and light the way.

goblin_subway

Postby goblin_subway » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:53 am UTC

<--Cabinetmaker. My job is hell at times but I love it. That is what I am seeing from people who enjoy their work.

Cycle

Postby Cycle » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:26 am UTC

Another grad student here. The pay isn't exactly great, but you get paid to think about things you find interesting anyways, so that's pretty rad. Plus, there's few pressures, no early shifts, little responsibility, no "boss", and cool people. I really can't imagine a job I'd like better.

Wormwood

Postby Wormwood » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:52 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:I too work at a supermarket (well, really freaking huge grocery store), and my attitude is somewhere between Jesse and Wormwood. I really like all the people and everything, but there are only so many bags of groceries you can create before you want to kill yourself.

I don't work on the checkout, and my supermarket doesn't pack bags anyway, so I wouldn't know what that's like. My task is to stack the shelves. I spend most of the day chucking around 20kg sacks of sugar or flour, or straightening up the spreads aisle to make it look nice. I don't think I'd be able to handle checkout. Way too boring.

The thing that really gets to me is the total social isolation. Unless a customer asks me to find something, or Sarah's around and the supervisors aren't watching I'm totally alone, despite being constantly surrounded by people. Nobody wants to get close to you, in case failure is contagious. (My attitude towards the social status of my job is one of apathy, but a lot of people assume I'm deficient because I do menial jobs in the years I should be at university.)

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:07 am UTC

Sabine wrote:I also used to have a job at Borders and that was fine helping people find books and if work was slow I could always go alphabetize a section of the store and laugh at all the insecure idiots who like leaving sex books in non-sex areas.

I was talking to someone who works at Borders down here and they said exactly the same thing about the sex books. I didn't realise it was that common.

The Skoot

Postby The Skoot » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:34 am UTC

I hate my job. It's shit, it's repetitive, it's boring, my team is near the bottom of the ladder so we get little recognition, it's just generally very far removed from what I want to do. I'm lucky that the people I work with are a cool bunch (well, apart from one person, but we manage to ignore him as much as possible), who I get along with well and can have interesting conversations with, which helps break things up, and the people who work here are generally good.

As for where I want to be, I realised a while ago that I'm just not cut out for the normal working life. I resent being held to a schedule, and whilst I can work well with others there are times when I just want to be left the fuck alone. My dream is to write fiction for a living, but that requires time and dedication, neither of which I seem to have much supply of at the moment. To that end, I'm currently taking a course to become a freelance copywriter, which would mean I'm doing something I enjoy for a living, and I'd get more control over when I work. I could look for another job in the meantime, one I would enjoy more, but I'm not sure that job exists, and I'm good enough at this job to get promoted (and have the prospect of another promotion dangled in front of me), so I'm sticking with the devil I know for now.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:40 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:
Sabine wrote:I also used to have a job at Borders and that was fine helping people find books and if work was slow I could always go alphabetize a section of the store and laugh at all the insecure idiots who like leaving sex books in non-sex areas.

I was talking to someone who works at Borders down here and they said exactly the same thing about the sex books. I didn't realise it was that common.

I used to work in Waterstone's here and we frequently had to remove the Kama Sutra from the kids' section.

Return to “General”