What do you want out of life?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Torlek42

What do you want out of life?

Postby Torlek42 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

I know a lot of people find satisfaction in getting married and raising a family. They get a job and spend much of their life working to support their family, then eventually retire. This seems to be the default lifestyle that people go for, and I'm sure it's very satisfying for a lot of people (and not satisfying for others). That's fine. My question is, do you want this kind of life? If not, what do you want?

TheStranger

Re: What do you want out of life?

Postby TheStranger » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:52 pm UTC

That seems like a valid life to me, one that I would find quite enjoyable.
"To bow before the pressure of the ignorant is weakness."
Azalin Rex, Wizard-King of Darkon

anterovipunen

Postby anterovipunen » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

someone who is more important to you than life itself... and feels the same about you.

kids, dog, i guess its all about having people around you who love you.

to travel and to experience things are both quite important. As is achieving something.

I think possessing things is where a lot of people fall down. There's a quote somewhere about a man not being able to sleep because there is a car he wants but cant afford and a man in the next neighbourhood who can't sleep because there's a company he wants to buy but can't afford. maybe being too focussed on possessing stuff or defining yourself on what you own is what hurts some people.... because there will always be stuff you want but cant have.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

A block of unobtanium, a universe simulator with an easy UI, and a magic hat.

But I'd settle for a relatively normal life. :-) It is pretty pleasant, ya know.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ekzrated

Postby ekzrated » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

anterovipunen wrote:I think possessing things is where a lot of people fall down. There's a quote somewhere about a man not being able to sleep because there is a car he wants but cant afford and a man in the next neighbourhood who can't sleep because there's a company he wants to buy but can't afford. maybe being too focussed on possessing stuff or defining yourself on what you own is what hurts some people.... because there will always be stuff you want but cant have.

Agreed. I find that the less I have, the happier I am. Sure, conveniences are nice, but ultimately, my happiness doesn't revolve around being (or appearing to be, as in some instances) wealthy. My son is pretty much the only person who I can't live without, and everything else is just extra fun. However, there's a part of me that would love having a 2009 Nissan Skyline GT-R...
I'M MY OWN CASE-STUDY!!!!!!

Sunsnail

Postby Sunsnail » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:36 pm UTC

anterovipunen wrote:someone who is more important to you than life itself... and feels the same about you.

kids, dog, i guess its all about having people around you who love you.

to travel and to experience things are both quite important. As is achieving something.

I think possessing things is where a lot of people fall down. There's a quote somewhere about a man not being able to sleep because there is a car he wants but cant afford and a man in the next neighbourhood who can't sleep because there's a company he wants to buy but can't afford. maybe being too focussed on possessing stuff or defining yourself on what you own is what hurts some people.... because there will always be stuff you want but cant have.

I mirror these thoughts. I would also like to practice my passions and hobbies: gardening, woodworking, cooking, etc.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

ekzrated wrote:Agreed. I find that the less I have, the happier I am. Sure, conveniences are nice, but ultimately, my happiness doesn't revolve around being (or appearing to be, as in some instances) wealthy. My son is pretty much the only person who I can't live without, and everything else is just extra fun. However, there's a part of me that would love having a 2009 Nissan Skyline GT-R...

Wow. That line made me think of an observation I had while backpacking. I pretty much lived out of a backpack and my wallet for a month away from home and it was fantastic. Some of the happiest days of my life are attached to that month and the 2 or 3 sets of clothes I actually had on the trip with me, that backpack, the shoes I wore every day, etc. Probably mostly for their sentimental value, but owning so little and being beholden to no one is an amazing feeling.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:44 pm UTC

I'd like to be successful. I don't specifically want to be rich, or to own things, but I want to be working in a job that I enjoy, and that I am good at. That's one of the things that's most important to me.

I'd like family, maybe, but to me that represents the goal of trying to make other people's lives better. Which is another thing I want in life - to know I've made a difference to other people.

ekzrated

Postby ekzrated » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:45 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:Wow. That line made me think of an observation I had while backpacking. I pretty much lived out of a backpack and my wallet for a month away from home and it was fantastic. Some of the happiest days of my life are attached to that month and the 2 or 3 sets of clothes I actually had on the trip with me, that backpack, the shoes I wore every day, etc. Probably mostly for their sentimental value, but owning so little and being beholden to no one is an amazing feeling.
SHHH!!! Pepsico, the Coca-Cola Co, McDonalds Inc, Walmart Inc, have the government to spy on you with.

All hail the mighty Consumerism!
I'M MY OWN CASE-STUDY!!!!!!

goblin_subway
Location: Kansas City, Kansas, USoA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby goblin_subway » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:49 am UTC

Trying to remember a song fron highschool and failing. I think the line goes, "I want to say that I don't need anything for one day, just one day." That kinda sums it up. I have all this stuff I want/ need (not just items, children and family, etc). I would like a day where I don't think about that stuff, either because I have it, or because I have realigned my wants/ needs.
I am Jack's overused quote.
Oh, almost forgot. Fuck MENSA.

reishka

Postby reishka » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:16 am UTC

I want to have a quiet life, with some amount of stability. I spent a good portion of my childhood switching homes and schools every year or two, and I'd like to just sit down and settle down someplace nice and not move for awhile. Really build a home with curtains and paint the walls. I don't care if it's in the city or on the suburbs, but I don't want to move out to the country. City would probably be preferred, though, especially NYC. Boy and I have been making plans for living there some day.

I don't want to work. I would much rather be a stay-at-home wife (but not a stay-at-home mom). If I did have to work, I'd work maybe a few hours a day, a small part-time job. Nothing big or fancy, just something to break up the monotony and bring a little money into the house.

I *don't* want kids. But I would love to have a little dog -- a cocker spaniel, preferably, or a Papilion. I grew up having dogs, and not having one is rather lonely.

fersrs

Postby fersrs » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:26 am UTC

To be honest, I'd love to become ultimate dictator of the world/huge Microsoft-ish company (same thing, really.)

But because I don't think that will happen, I want a job I enjoy, enough money to be covered in case of disaster, nice house, husband, the works. I want a stable life with a pliable schedule, and not in a very busy area.

Semidi

Postby Semidi » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:39 am UTC

I want to get to the end of it, look back, be proud of what I did and be able to say, "yeah, I had a good run."

That and sex.
"If you can't imagine how anyone could hold a view you are attacking, you just don't understand it yet."

BurntCornMuffin

Postby BurntCornMuffin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:45 am UTC

I really want to live to see people in space. Not like, in the experimental astronauty way because that's already happened. I mean like, humanity as a whole becoming proficient at space travel to the point where we have settlements on multiple worlds. In the very least, I want to see a space-station "city" go up. Ideally I'd like to play a major role in getting us up there (however I'd manage that...) but I'm content with at least seeing it happen.

If that doesn't happen, then I can go for the "comfortable life, wife & kids" thing, but it won't be nearly as satisfying.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:12 am UTC

Uh, should I be embarrassed that my life will be pretty much complete if/when I am worthy of a decent Wikipedia article? Because really, that would be just great.

Otherwise, I'm in favor of being successful in the endeavors that matter to me (my career, love, peace of mind) and maybe achieving some small piece of enlightenment.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Kaiyas

Postby Kaiyas » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:58 am UTC

One thing I really want is infinite knowledge, but that's not gonna happen...or is it? :shock:

Realistically? Oh. Well, get a girlfriend, which kinda leads into sexing :roll: Get a good education, and pursue a career in the sciences (physics?). Hopefully make some kind of breakthrough. And retire, eventually, part time writer, even skiing? Might be a bit old though :? Bit of a bummer.
clintonius wrote:This place is like mental masturbation

btilly

Postby btilly » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:02 am UTC

To feel satisfied with how I lived my life.

That statement is far more complicated than it appears.

Random note. I've heard multiple places that when people are dying they tend to reach out for their loved ones, not their accomplishments.
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:17 am UTC

I just want lots of great memories & experiences. I really don't want the kind of life where everything is ... working towards the next step in my life plan. That's part of the reason I don't want kids.
Travelling would be good. I want to see Antarctica, I want to see Victoria Falls, I want to spend time in some big cities.
And sex. And love. I think I would be happy either finding a "soulmate" who wants to do all these things with me, or a series of less-serious but loving relationships depending on who fits in with my life at that moment. As long as I have the companionship, the intense passion ... and the sex. Oh yes, the sex.
Realistically ... I will probably end up 'settling down' at some point in my life, but it would be nice for it to be with someone who understands my need to seek out adventure every now and then. I would like a career that challenges me and that I enjoy, and I would like to not have to worry about money. I would like to grow old, very old, and have people say, "wow, Kate is pretty cool for an old chick".
I also have aspirations to get a PhD someday.
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:03 pm UTC

I want to be happy most of the time, and to consider the times I wasn't happy to have been "worth it" later.

I'd generally like to consider myself a good person. Which mostly requires not having screwed over or failed anyone I care about, and rectifying it if I do.

Outside of that, I don't really care.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:20 pm UTC

No regrets.

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

At this point, at least, I would happily trade away contentment in exchange for excitement. I want to do amazing things, see amazing things, meet amazing people. Maybe this will change, and I will want to 'settle down' and have a normal life; certainly I am looking forward to starting university, something that is essentially a four year long responsibility, so I guess knowledge (and the new experience of that lifestyle, too) comes fairly high on my list. A lot of money would be a huge boon all of to this - it is so often equated with possessing material things, but it is impossible to underestimate the amount of experiences that can be made available through money. That said, I would only ever pursue wealth as a means to an end, not an end in itself.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

Dakun

Postby Dakun » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

kellsbells wrote:Uh, should I be embarrassed that my life will be pretty much complete if/when I am worthy of a decent Wikipedia article? Because really, that would be just great.

Not embarrassed - Everyone wants to be remembered. For many it's enough to be remembered and loved by ones decendants. For others (you... and I for that matter) it's more than that, there has to be some significance. Similarly I want to be the answer to a Jeopardy question 40 years from now.

fersrs wrote:To be honest, I'd love to become ultimate dictator of the world/huge Microsoft-ish company (same thing, really.)

This is similar - I dreamed of being Peter Wiggins for a long time, but I think i'd settle for my own company.

Yakk wrote:A block of unobtanium, a universe simulator with an easy UI, and a magic hat.

Unobtanium would be awesome, even if it only allowed my existance to mimic the least scientifically plausable movie ever made.
I also quickly read this as "Universal Stimulator" which... well, would get out of hand pretty quickly.

I want to be remembered, to look back and say - I did some bad-ass things and had a good time, and end up with someone who supports me in my endovers, and um... cake.
Jamie
---------------------
I have with me two gods, Persuasion and Compulsion. - Themistocles

Dakun

Postby Dakun » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

ZeroSum wrote:No regrets.

Pretty sure this is not possible.
Jamie
---------------------

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:41 pm UTC

Doesn't matter. The question is what do you want not what do you think you could get.

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:44 pm UTC

Dakun wrote:

Depends on whether you approach it from the "never doing/expriencing anything that I would regret" or the "choosing not to regret anything" angle.

They/them

Dakun

Postby Dakun » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Dakun wrote:

Depends on whether you approach it from the "never doing/expriencing anything that I would regret" or the "choosing not to regret anything" angle.

Just had this thought... There are different levels:

One is when you don't have proof (yay science!) that a different choice would have been the right choice - you would always have "regrets" (ie - should have taken that job, gone to that school, kissed that girl/boy ) but since you really have no idea of whether or not that would have made your life better, or just different, it's pretty much pointless to regret those things.

The other is when your aware of the consequences of the choice you made, and you regret it - (ie - should have forgave that person, not ignored my son for the past 30 years, made peace w/ mom before she passed, not robbed that liquor store and spent 10 years in jail), etc.
Jamie
---------------------

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

True. But in either case, you can choose not to care.

They/them

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

Ugh. Way to destroy my bumper-sticker philosophy.

Specifically I want to never skip a promising opportunity in a way that would later lead me to think, "Maybe I should've tried that..."

To a lesser extent I want to avoid doing things that I'll regret later, but that doesn't matter as much.

I mean, I'm not going to succeed, considering I've already failed, but that's what I try to get out of life going forward.

tehmikey

Postby tehmikey » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

Everytime I think I may regret a decision, I rejoice for the lesson learned. I live for the experiences that I have whether they are good or bad. Twenty Two/Three years in, and I have not had a regret yet. I am about one fourth of the way to my goal :)

That being said, I would like to pick up this "typical" lifestyle that you mention of wife and kids for a spell. I would like to be well off enough after helping my kids through college that I can retire from working for other people and make my profit from hobbies. Maybe I could be a freelance programmer who carries a katana around in the metaverse, who knows. I could also make lots of theoretical dollars on the internet.

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

I don't want kids, but I do want to get married.

My ideal life would be to live in a warm, sunny place near the water, where we can swim and fish whenever we want without other people around.

I want to change people's lives for the better. I want to be on my death bed knowing that I helped a lot of people. I've been working on that and I'm satisfied so far.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

Not an Evil Robot

Postby Not an Evil Robot » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:13 pm UTC

Hmm...
I'd like to live in an ok place, have a job I enjoy.
Really the only goal I've got is to learn a lot of stuff.
That and meeting some people so Im not all alone.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:15 pm UTC

i agree with either having no regrets (too late really) or at least recognizing the lesson in each mistake. i want to know myself. i want someone else to know me. i want to be happy.

also: i want a bad ass kitchen and a bad ass kitten. those would contribute greatly to being happy. hah.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Dakun

Postby Dakun » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:28 pm UTC

tehmikey wrote:Maybe I could be a freelance programmer who carries a katana around in the metaverse

Actually, scratch everything else... if I ever in my life:
A. Am a soveign nation with my EKG reading intrinsically wierd to a nuke
B. Can speed down a highway in a million dollar motorcycle with 2x katana's strapped to my back
C. The cops know better than to mess with me.

I think (A || B) && C will satisfy my requirements.
Jamie
---------------------

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

Me? I want to be in a professional, world touring, fantastically famous metal band.

I don't give a flying fuck what my family thinks, it's something I'm willing to work my ass off for, and, while it may seem like a stupid, or immature plan, it's what I want to do.

He who dares, wins.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

[Insert Third Witty, Clichéd, Relevant Phrase Here]

Fuck boring lives. I can't see myself working in any job for a living (horrible attention span), as I'd be dropping in and out of jobs all the time. I want to enjoy what I do, and makes lots of money doing it. Music's the way forward. :twisted:
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

tehmikey

Postby tehmikey » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

Dakun wrote:
tehmikey wrote:Maybe I could be a freelance programmer who carries a katana around in the metaverse

Actually, scratch everything else... if I ever in my life:
A. Am a soveign nation with my EKG reading intrinsically wierd to a nuke
B. Can speed down a highway in a million dollar motorcycle with 2x katana's strapped to my back
C. The cops know better than to mess with me.

I think (A || B) && C will satisfy my requirements.

I was merely stealing an idea from a book, Snow Crash. The follow up statement was from South Park.
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." -Albert Einstein

Apparently, I am not that creative....

Dakun

Postby Dakun » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

I was aware of the reference:

A = Raven
B = Hiro
C = Pretty much both of them

Also aware of the South Park reference ('What, What! In my butt' / Canada on Strike)

I was stating that now that you bring up Hiro, I realized that my previous post (owning a major corporation / marriage / success) is superfluous - If I was such a badass that I was a ligitamate world power or a bad-ass ninja hacker (bad ass-ninja, hacker), and the cops were afraid of me, that would be almost as satisfying.

:)
Jamie
---------------------

Irrational

Postby Irrational » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:03 pm UTC

I have absolutely no idea what I want out of life.

Not an Evil Robot

Postby Not an Evil Robot » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:04 pm UTC

Hmm, being Hiro would be awesome....

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

I want a quality education.
I want to be considered a man of deep intellect.
I want to be respected for my academic accomplishments.
I want to be respected (and feared) for my political accomplishments.
I want a loving wife and healthy children.
I want to raise a family in a place where they are safe.
I want my children to have a quality education.
I want them to be respected for their accomplishments in life.
I want their accomplishments to outshine my own.
I want them to have families and raise their own children.

The cycle continues.

I firmly believe that a person has not succeeded unless they have surpassed their parents in some respect. This is the only way the human race can improve upon itself.

(Note that I'm talking about "positive" things here. If your mother was a serial killer and murdered five people, I don't mean that you should kill six.)
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:58 pm UTC

I want to spend most of my time doing things that I like doing, and not have to worry too much about money. I want friends, love, and a cat.

I also want magic powers.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Return to “General”