Ball pits and you

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

I am a...

Ball pit owner
1%
Ball pit wanter
72%
Ball pit hater
1%
Ball pit owner wanting to be rid of the crushing burden of excess ball pit balls
No votes
Ball pit neutral person
15%
Duck
11%

Total votes: 217

Spoffin

Ball pits and you

Postby Spoffin » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:41 am UTC

I myself have a ball pit. I'm curious as to the quantity and geographical spread of other privately-owned ball pits.

If you're a ball pit wanter, post what it is that's stopping you, cos I'd be interested to know that as well.

If you hate and/or fear ball pits, lets hear about that as well.

Most of all though, I'm interested in anyone with surplus balls they want to get rid of, as per the 4th option.
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

Pandercolour

Re: Ball pits and you

Postby Pandercolour » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:47 am UTC

What is with you people and ball pits?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:57 am UTC

It's a relatively easy way to replicate an activity from youth that requires little physical ability or activity with a high payoff of fun. Generally speaking, romping around in a ball pit for twenty minutes isn't going to leave you a sweaty mess like playing basketball might. Once set up, it requires almost no prep time, nor does it even require other participants, though others make it more fun.

Also, lol comic.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

DesperatMezures

Postby DesperatMezures » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:02 am UTC

For now, the reason I can't get a ball pit is the fact that I can't pay for it, as well as the fact that I'm an HS senior. My parents would strictly forbid it, for the fact that it's a "waste of money", and I wouldn't be able to do it in a college dorm, for obvious reasons.

Once I have a house of my own and disposable income, however, a ball pit is one of the first things I plan to splurge on.
OLEANA, PUT SOME JELJEL ON MY WUUD TO MAKE IT YOOJ SO I CAN GO BAVOOM!

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:18 am UTC

I want one, although I don't know just where I'd put it. I can't afford one though.

Maybe in front of the computer, if I could find a way to still have a chair in it... but then the couch... hm. And if I put it next to the bed, there's not much to do there, and I'd like to keep that space clear for other things. In place of the bed? Could I sleep in it? But then where would I put all the stuff currently under the bed?

Well when I have my own house I'll have to have a ball pit room with a TV in it. Maybe then I'll actually be able to afford it.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:53 am UTC

I want one but can't get one because it's expensive, and I wouldn't have anyone to share it with anyway. The fact that I'm moving soon doesn't help. Maybe someday...

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:55 am UTC

mebe a nice 2x1x1m box of balls in place of a bed or couch, or even a box surrounding said items filled with balls to make your tv watching or sleeping experience all the more interesting.

Hmm, 2m3 at say 50% packing efficiency (optimistic I know, but once you're in it I think it'd balance out), with each ball being 12cm in diameter is ... 2/(4/3 pi*0.063 * 2 (for packing efficiency)) balls which is what? about 1150? (I cancelled pi with 3 so... this is an engineering type of guess) and if each one costs say 15c (approximately the price of a 9mm bullet in the US I believe, so it can't be much more than that even if you don't bulk buy) that's about $165. not too bad, less than a week's full-time wages at minimum pay ($5/hr in Australia)
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:57 am UTC

DesperatMezures wrote:For now, the reason I can't get a ball pit is the fact that I can't pay for it, as well as the fact that I'm an HS senior. My parents would strictly forbid it, for the fact that it's a "waste of money", and I wouldn't be able to do it in a college dorm, for obvious reasons.

Once I have a house of my own and disposable income, however, a ball pit is one of the first things I plan to splurge on.

Pretty much same here, although strictly sounds a bit harsh.

Otis

Postby Otis » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:47 pm UTC

Well now that I'm married I don't just have to come up with the means to implement a ball pit but I also have to convince my better half that we should do it. It's just the two of us living in a 3 bedroom place so we have the space to do it. I'd just have to get rid of my love sac.

iamfree

Postby iamfree » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:05 pm UTC

money is the limiting reagent in this equation
GACAACGCACGCAACGCGCCCCGGACCACCUAA

just let It happen

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:14 pm UTC

3 factors affect my decision on ball-pits:
- Space. I currently don't have enough for a ball-pit to be substantial
- Cost. To expensive for my salary.
- Worth. I don't think it'll really change my life for the better. Might be entertaining, but I could spend money on other more exciting items of paraphenalia.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:34 pm UTC

I'm a wanter...the reasons I can't have one right now are that:
-I'm in college, and so definitely have no money to spend on a ball pit
-I'm in college, and so definitely have no room in my dorm room for a ball pit

Psudomorph

A possible alternative to the ball pit

Postby Psudomorph » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:35 pm UTC

I think for my money I would rather have a large sandbox-room, it's like a ball pit, only much higher resolution. Sure it isn't as "clean", and can't be as spontaneously jumped into, but I think it would be worth it to be able to alter the landscape at will, rather than having it settle into a flat surface.

[faraway look in eyes]
I would think maybe 8x7 meters, and a meter deep would be a good size. I can't seem to find prices for sand by volume, but I should hope it would be cheaper than a ball pit of the same volume. The one-meter depth should be deep enough to make navigable tunnels, while being shallow enough that a ceiling collapse would be merely inconvenient rather than fatal. If I ever went through with it, I would probably have to do the math to find out the maximum safe depth based on the weight of the sand, but for now I'll just assume 1 meter.

[fartheraway look]
Like any sandbox worth it's sand, it needs a source of water, so I would have to get a faucet in the sand-room, with some sort of splitter to send the output to several different hoses at once. I would have to have drainage pipes at the bottom... With all that sand, I bet the whole room could be converted into a decent water filtration system in the event that civilization should collapse...

[increasingly out of touch with reality]
The room could be equipped with an "airlock" about the size of a closet. The airlock would contain a combination of high-pressure air jets and vacuums to keep the sand where it belongs when you leave.
Is it possible to "clean" sand, as in removing detritus and foreign objects? Maybe I could adapt one of those robotic pool cleaners to sweep through the room every once in a while, removing and replacing the first inch or so of sand while navigating around any large structures...

[suddenly realizes everyone is staring at him]
So, anyway... yeah... What were we talking about again?

The Skoot

Postby The Skoot » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:20 pm UTC

I'm a wanter. I don't have the money or the space for one. Really the only place it could go is the living room, and I don't see my flatmates agreeing with having a large chunk of it taken over by balls. Wankers...

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:35 pm UTC

Would be cool, but I'm currently living in halls at uni, and have neither the money or the space. When I get my own place, then I'll think about it. It would have to come after the pink 50s style fridge freezer though.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

My boyfriend has a ball pit. I don't remember the last time we used it though. He probably keeps it for his hos. I had this dream last night about everyone from ROFLcon being in Randall's ball pit.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

wst

Postby wst » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:32 pm UTC

I'm a wanter. I want one in my room, that is at exactly top-of-mattress-level, so I can roll off of bed and sink into it, and freak people out by swimming under them when they enter my room.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:46 pm UTC

I'm a wanter. And I have a plan.
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

ZLVT wrote:mebe a nice 2x1x1m box of balls in place of a bed or couch, or even a box surrounding said items filled with balls to make your tv watching or sleeping experience all the more interesting.

Hmm, 2m3 at say 50% packing efficiency (optimistic I know, but once you're in it I think it'd balance out), with each ball being 12cm in diameter is ... 2/(4/3 pi*0.063 * 2 (for packing efficiency)) balls which is what? about 1150? (I cancelled pi with 3 so... this is an engineering type of guess) and if each one costs say 15c (approximately the price of a 9mm bullet in the US I believe, so it can't be much more than that even if you don't bulk buy) that's about $165. not too bad, less than a week's full-time wages at minimum pay ($5/hr in Australia)

12cm would be very big balls (*snarf*). 1000 balls at the size I have would be only about a 30cm deep and 60cm wide, I think.

Poll results show 1:60 ratio of owners to wanters.

Truly I am a king among men :p
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

Grady

Postby Grady » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

-Searches "homemade ball pit costs"-
...Make a Homemade Ball Pit For Your Little One! - Moose Mountain ...
Yes.. My "little one"...

-Searches "ball pit balls"-
... xkcd » Blog Archive » Growing Up ...

I want one but seriously, I don't know where I'd buy the balls, what I'd contain them in or if I could even afford them. It'd be an interesting project but I just don't have the know-how or money to do it.
Gamercard may be slightly inaccurate due to the fact that my xbox is not always connected to the internet.

eristic
Mmm, superhero brains! Nom nom nom...

Postby eristic » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:07 am UTC

Everyone keeps saying they are expensive, yet I see no prices being thrown out. About how much does one cost? I'd imagine no more than $300, which isn't really that bad at all. But if the tag was say... $3,000 well I would definitely reconsider.
Clerria wrote:
eristic wrote:Do you speak Greek? ;)

'maybe'

Haikus are simple
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Micron

Postby Micron » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:11 am UTC

eristic wrote:Everyone keeps saying they are expensive, yet I see no prices being thrown out. About how much does one cost? I'd imagine no more than $300, which isn't really that bad at all. But if the tag was say... $3,000 well I would definitely reconsider.

Well according to http://blag.xkcd.com/2007/11/19/growing-up/...
The big problem with ball pits is that they’re expensive. Filling a room costs on the order of $4000, give or take. You can use this calculator (set up by relsqui of #xkcd) to find the cost for a given room. I’d use 64% for the packing efficiency — that’s about what I’ve found.

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:15 am UTC

eristic wrote:Everyone keeps saying they are expensive, yet I see no prices being thrown out. About how much does one cost? I'd imagine no more than $300, which isn't really that bad at all. But if the tag was say... $3,000 well I would definitely reconsider.

I got a hardcore bargain of 900 second hand balls for under 4p each. So about £40 for the balls, plus a staple gun and some netting for them... £60 ish?

900 isn't very substantial though. Twice as many and you could get nice and cuddly with someone in it.

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:19 am UTC

Micron wrote:

Well according to http://blag.xkcd.com/2007/11/19/growing-up/...
The big problem with ball pits is that they’re expensive. Filling a room costs on the order of $4000, give or take. You can use this calculator (set up by relsqui of #xkcd) to find the cost for a given room. I’d use 64% for the packing efficiency — that’s about what I’ve found.

I found 30,000 balls on ebay for £100. That then dropped to £75.

If I'd had a friend with a van, that would SO have been mine.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Thu May 01, 2008 2:04 am UTC

Ball pits are awesome and all, but having one really isn't a priority for me right now. And you should all hate me for that, because I actually do have the money and space for one, but I'm not doing it and you all want one! Mwa ha ha! </evil>
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

NMcCoy

Postby NMcCoy » Thu May 01, 2008 4:45 am UTC

Want one, but don't have the time, space, or money at the moment.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu May 01, 2008 8:09 am UTC

neutral. It'd be fun to have one, but i dont think i'd want the hassle of maintaining it. I'd be cleaning and sanitizing every single ball after people used it, every time. =( not to mention wanting to vacuum under it (solved easily by placing netting around the entire thing, including underneath)

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu May 01, 2008 10:31 am UTC

parkaboy wrote:neutral. It'd be fun to have one, but i dont think i'd want the hassle of maintaining it. I'd be cleaning and sanitizing every single ball after people used it, every time. =( not to mention wanting to vacuum under it (solved easily by placing netting around the entire thing, including underneath)

If you do that, too, you can make sure it's a nice strong net and attach a set of pulleys from the roof to the corners, in such a way that you can lift it off the ground.

Like, a ball pit and a hammock in one, or something like that.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu May 01, 2008 10:35 am UTC

that is what i had envisioned, only tucked into an alcove or corner so that there are at least 2 (ideally 3) solid walls supporting it.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

turomar

Postby turomar » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:54 pm UTC

Contemplating building a ball pit. I have a few technical questions to the current owners/maintainers of ball pits. How much force is exerted on the sidewalls of the ballpit?
I observed some metal grating being used in the XKCD Ball pit: phase 2, so how well does that material hold up?
I have floor-to-ceiling windows in the room i intend to construct my ballpit in, it's like an interior greenhouse, if you will. I'm worried about the balls bursting through the windows.
Also, the room has a very wide doorway into the next room, so i have to construct a fence myself(not a problem), i just need to know how sturdy to make it.

Thank you for your input.

qbg

Re: A possible alternative to the ball pit

Postby qbg » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:14 am UTC

Psudomorph wrote:I think for my money I would rather have a large sandbox-room, it's like a ball pit, only much higher resolution. Sure it isn't as "clean", and can't be as spontaneously jumped into, but I think it would be worth it to be able to alter the landscape at will, rather than having it settle into a flat surface.

Snow >> sand

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:50 am UTC

Another wanter here. Again, the main limiter is space and money. Ignoring deals on ebay or what have you, I think the cheapest place I found was here. The balls are 1.5 inches in radius, and assuming you buy 2-9 cases (seems reasonable to me) the balls cost 20.39¢ each. Now, I took some measurements before of a possible space I wanted to put a ball pit and it's about 50 cubic feet. Using 64% packing efficiency, the calculator (linked to earlier in the thread) says it'll take 3911 balls and cost $797.46. Now, since you have to buy in multiples of 500, let's round up to 4000 balls and $815.60. Now, that's not so expensive that I could never do it, but expensive enough that I can't justify spending the money on it right now.

ZLVT wrote:mebe a nice 2x1x1m box of balls in place of a bed or couch, or even a box surrounding said items filled with balls to make your tv watching or sleeping experience all the more interesting.

Well, using your numbers, you're very close (calculator says 1105 balls and $165.75). However, your balls are too big, your packing efficiency worse than theoretically possible, and your price lower than what it really is. Using the store and packing efficiency from above, but filling 2 cubic meters, gives about 5500 balls, which would cost $1093.95. Converting to AUD, that's currently about $1249. At $5/hr and working 40 hours per week, it'd take you over 6 weeks to make that much. And since usually you'd have to actually spend some on that money on food or something, it'd take you far longer.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:59 pm UTC

I would like a ball pit, but where would I put it? Also, cost. When I have my own place someday I'll make one.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:22 pm UTC

I got all excited when the price came up in the hundreds. Then I realized that I put diameter in the radius spot on the calculator.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Bin

Postby Bin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:31 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:neutral. It'd be fun to have one, but i dont think i'd want the hassle of maintaining it. I'd be cleaning and sanitizing every single ball after people used it, every time. =( not to mention wanting to vacuum under it (solved easily by placing netting around the entire thing, including underneath)

I would agree, especially about sanitizing the balls (eh, that's a funny phrase).

snowolf

Postby snowolf » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:42 pm UTC

I would put my ballpit inside a swimming pool (without water, although with water might be cool too), then i could jump off the diving board...
maybe if this is witty enough, someone will finally love me

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:17 pm UTC

snowolf wrote:I would put my ballpit inside a swimming pool (without water, although with water might be cool too), then i could jump off the diving board...

twenty thousand dollars later...
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Swink

Postby Swink » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:14 pm UTC

im a wanter, but i dont have the money, or my opwn place yet for that matter, also i wouldnt be satasfies with just a little one, id want to fill the room up to about waist hight or nothing at all :D

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:41 pm UTC

I'm not a wanter...they're unsanitary and take up space. But then I've seen kids wet their pants in them and even though I know a privately owned one would be different...I can't find the desire for a ball pit ever. Also...static electricity ....ugh.
Rice Puddin.

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:24 am UTC

To all those uni/college folk who say they can't because they live in dorm rooms...I just learnt today that one of my friends is making a plan for a ball pit. Whether this ball pit would be at rez or once we move into a house is unknown, but either way, the university ball pit shall be ours!!! MWHAHAHAHAHA :twisted:
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

Return to “General”