Alignment

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

What's your alignment?

Lawful Good
9%
Neutral Good
27%
Chaotic Good
20%
Lawful Neutral
4%
True Neutral
13%
Chaotic Neutral
22%
Lawful Evil
1%
Neutral Evil
2%
Chaotic Evil
1%

Total votes: 329

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Re: Alignment

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue May 20, 2008 11:08 am UTC

I guess I'm True Neutral. I always ignore alignment rules, anyway.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 20, 2008 2:59 pm UTC

BeetlesBane wrote:For RPG - I dislike playing "lawful" characters since the shitty DMs I've played with impose behavior on lawfuls turning them into NPCs. Treasures often favor "good" characters so my preferred character alignments are NG and CG.

Fix'd it for ya.

Anyway, Law and Chaos has nothing to do with the Conservative and Liberal labels. It's one's inner like or dislike of organization and structure. If you like to eat your lunch at 12:15 (hungry or not, because you know you will be later anyway)... you're probably lawful. If you eat your lunch whenever you get hungry (which would be anywhere from 10am to 4pm) that's on the Chaos side.

Order versus Disorder. Structure versus Free. If the traditional way was not an ordered and structured one, a Lawful person wouldn't enjoy it..while a Conservative would (as that's how it's always been done).

But.. it also has not too much to do with what the actual legal laws are. A lawful individual would tend to favor them simply because they place an order and structure on the society, but when the law goes against that, the lawful individual would have no problems breaking the law. Extending this to drug use (because everything's more fun with drugs!) a lawful individual wouldn't necessarily have a problem with their use, so long as they were done in a safe environment.. i.e. you take your drugs in your house and you don't leave until they wear off completely.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue May 20, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

I'm on the evil end of Chaotic Neutral.

SecondTalon wrote:If you like to eat your lunch at 12:15 (hungry or not, because you know you will be later anyway)... you're probably lawful. If you eat your lunch whenever you get hungry (which would be anywhere from 10am to 4pm) that's on the Chaos side.

What about when you only eat when you remember to?
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue May 20, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I'm on the evil end of Chaotic Neutral.

SecondTalon wrote:If you like to eat your lunch at 12:15 (hungry or not, because you know you will be later anyway)... you're probably lawful. If you eat your lunch whenever you get hungry (which would be anywhere from 10am to 4pm) that's on the Chaos side.

Shit, now I gotta make a sandwich or something. Thanks a lot.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Tue May 20, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I guess I'm True Neutral. I always ignore alignment rules, anyway.

Oddly enough, the new version of d&d, which is where alignment grids like this became popular, has included an "unaligned" alignment for people who don't care.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 20, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I'm on the evil end of Chaotic Neutral.

Obviously you're Chaotic Evil with Neutral in relation to Order tendencies.

Analogies - sometimes they work, sometimes the elephant's purple.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Tue May 20, 2008 9:59 pm UTC

I think I'm True Neutral, but I' haven't taken the test yet.
多么现在棕色母牛?

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed May 21, 2008 12:16 am UTC

CogDissident wrote:Oddly enough, the new version of d&d, which is where alignment grids like this became popular, has included an "unaligned" alignment for people who don't care.

My understanding is that since so many people complained about being "pigeon holed", for 4th ed you will be good, evil, or neither.

My personal opinion is that people who think the alignment system is too restrictive either misunderstands, or has a crappy DM.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu May 22, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

Find your Celestial Choir This seems right. After all I AM a kitty.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 22, 2008 8:45 pm UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:My understanding is that since so many people complained about being "pigeon holed", for 4th ed you will be good, evil, or neither.
My personal opinion is that people who think the alignment system is too restrictive either misunderstands, or has a crappy DM.
/angell

Very that.

It also annoys me that they left the Right/Wrong alignment in (because, let's face it, you can't really argue that to a society and world as a whole, being a selfish prick is somehow equal to or better than being a person who cares about the well-being of others - even strangers) but took out the original alignment axis that.. you know.. was debateable. Both are bad in extremes, but both are necessary for any society.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu May 22, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

Ha I'm the 42nd neutral good.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu May 22, 2008 8:59 pm UTC

My understanding is that since so many people complained about being "pigeon holed", for 4th ed you will be good, evil, or neither.

Actually, it's Lawful Good, Good, Unaligned, Evil, and Chaotic Evil.

CG and LE were nixed because there's really no discernible difference between a CG and a NG character. Both of them prioritize the greater good over the law.

And there's no real difference between a LE and NE character, either. Both of them prioritize practical concerns like "getting along in society" and "not being an obvious child-eating lunatic" over the potential to do the most evil possible.

The neutral-[blank] alignments were nixed because they were all variants on "my own agenda".
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

kriel

Postby kriel » Thu May 22, 2008 9:10 pm UTC

Belial wrote:<snip>[T]here's really no discernible difference between a CG and a NG character. Both of them prioritize the greater good over the law.

I dunno. I think the ditzy-but-good characters, especially the really really clumsy ones, could be characterized as CG more than NG.

... I think?

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu May 22, 2008 9:20 pm UTC

No, that's just "good with a low intelligence and low dexterity"
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Thu May 22, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

I went with True Neutral.
I tend to like playing lawful/chaotic evil, and find lawful good impossible to play at times..

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:50 am UTC

I voted Chaotic neutral. I try to do things that will benefit me and those close to me (and therefore me again), without really taking the law into consideration. I regularly break the law, but not to the extent that the risk of being caught is greater than the benefit of the action. (I'm not sure if that sentence works. I would not perform an action if that action had a high likelihood of decreasing the pleasure I get out of life)

I obey the law when it benefits me. If someone steals something from me, I will go to the police. If i steal something from someone, I'd hope like hell that they don't go to the police. But it's unlikely that i would steal something, unless i was fairly certain I could get away with it, or I really really needed it.

I eat when I'm hungry (although at the moment I'm trying to eat less, so i eat about an hour after I get hungry).

SecondTalon wrote:Order versus Disorder. Structure versus Free. If the traditional way was not an ordered and structured one, a Lawful person wouldn't enjoy it..while a Conservative would (as that's how it's always been done).

But.. it also has not too much to do with what the actual legal laws are. A lawful individual would tend to favor them simply because they place an order and structure on the society, but when the law goes against that, the lawful individual would have no problems breaking the law. Extending this to drug use (because everything's more fun with drugs!) a lawful individual wouldn't necessarily have a problem with their use, so long as they were done in a safe environment.. i.e. you take your drugs in your house and you don't leave until they wear off completely.

I prefer an unstructured environment. If there are rules, i prefer them to be simple and decided on by everyone (for example: a playfight where the participants get together before it begins and establish a safe word and such. Nothing too excessive) Sometimes rules can be fun, like in a drinking game with complex rules designed to be harder as you get drunker, cause those are funny as shit,and other times they are too restrictive.

And i take my drugs in public, and walk around in public while under the influence, because it's more fun. And often there isn't a house where I can take them. But i wouldn't drive while under the influence of drugs, because the chances of getting caught and the consequences of that aren't worth the benefit.

I think that means I'm chaotic neutral. If not, I just stuffed up your poll.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:07 am UTC

Evil.
I try to do things that will benefit me and those close to me (and therefore me again),

That's pretty textbook Evil as presented by the D&D Alignment system.

At least, assuming you actively look for things that will benefit you and those close to you (and therefore you) and take advantage of situations that directly benefit you with little regard to how it may injure someone else, even without actively harming another : the best example being watching a guy drop $100 on the street, scooping it up and, though he comes back within moments to try and find it, not giving it back to him as he has no idea you have his money.
Last edited by SecondTalon on Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:26 am UTC

I think I'm Chaotic Neutral, with a leaning towards Chaotic Good.

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:35 am UTC

Lawful evil, most likely. I am evil, no doubt about that, but I do follow rules and guidelines instead of just kicking puppies because I feel like it.

Lanth

Postby Lanth » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:17 pm UTC

IRL, I'm Lawful Neutral. No real morals either way, but the only reason I'm lawful is because I don't have to power to defy the law. If I was a superhero, I would so be Chaotic Neutral.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:59 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Evil.
I try to do things that will benefit me and those close to me (and therefore me again),

That's pretty textbook Evil as presented by the D&D Alignment system.

At least, assuming you actively look for things that will benefit you and those close to you (and therefore you) and take advantage of situations that directly benefit you with little regard to how it may injure someone else, even without actively harming another : the best example being watching a guy drop $100 on the street, scooping it up and, though he comes back within moments to try and find it, not giving it back to him as he has no idea you have his money.

Oh, sweet, I'm Evil. Chaotic Evil. Brillo.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:03 am UTC

BeetlesBane wrote:I got results of Mercurim and LG (~30%, ~45%). My self-vote was CN.

The "Lawful" axis in the quiz combines two very different ideas (see the explanation of Lawful-Chaotic on the homepage of the quiz). On the one hand "lawful" is presented as respect for/obedience to authority; on the other hand "lawful" is equated to honesty/reliability. The first concept creates an axis from totalitarianism to anarchy, the second from truth-teller to liar.

Actually, those two are both part of D&D canon. A chaotic good person would have no problems lying for good ends, whereas a lawful good person, like Immanuel Kant, would insist that lying is wrong and wouldn't lie when possible.

I find myself often thinking of chaotic - lawful as less anarchy - totalitarianism, and more in the philosophical context of consequentialism vs deontology (end results of an action determine its morality vs the nature of the action itself).
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:44 am UTC

So what do you call it if your alignment changes from situation to situation?
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:15 pm UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:So what do you call it if your alignment changes from situation to situation?

It doesn't work like that. Your alignment doesn't change, because it's a very static property. If, however, your actions from situation to situation do not for any sort of pattern based on alignment, it's probably True Neutral.

Well. You heard him.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:56 pm UTC

Looks I voted Chaotic Good (long ago), but I would now say that I'm Chaotic Neutral.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
Insignificant Deification wrote:So what do you call it if your alignment changes from situation to situation?

It doesn't work like that. Your alignment doesn't change, because it's a very static property. If, however, your actions from situation to situation do not for any sort of pattern based on alignment, it's probably True Neutral.

Or an argument against the idea that a person is at their very core so simple as to be easily described by two words.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

Torvaun wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:

Or an argument against the idea that a person is at their very core so simple as to be easily described by two words.

Well, yeah, realistically, people don't work like that. But if you have to force it into the D&D alignment system, TN encapsulates it better than anything else.

Well. You heard him.

Flagpole Sitta

What is YOUR alignment?

Postby Flagpole Sitta » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:21 pm UTC

So, kids, what alignment are you? I'm not talking about your character but you, yourself. If you had to sum up your moral outlook on life, and how you act it out in your day to day dealings are you chaotic, lawful or neither? Let's discuss! Why do you identify this way? What do you think the ideal alignment is for an individual, if there even is one?

If you no idea what I'm talking about you should crack open a non-4th edition D&D or pathfinder manual, or you could just check out Wikipedia.

I'm chaotic good! I believe in revolutionizing the existing standards to make life better for everyone and that an individual's choice is the ultimate right that needs to be protected! Viva la revolución! (Where did this phrase come from? Why on earth do people say it in Spanish?)

Every other alignment seems reasonable and justified for individuals as long as they're not actually ebil, though a someone who is lawful neutral, wanting to enforce rules without tempering compassion, has the potential to be very scary to me.

For organizations, like government, lawful good is absolutely ideal, because for people to work together in large numbers we do need to follow rules. It seems to me that the problem with a lot of government is that we either have lawful neutral or chaotic good people in charge, and this really doesn't get anyone anywhere.

Go, go, my nerdy minions! Discuss! I will be back to see what happens when I'm done baking my cookies.
Poxic is, like, awesome. She's my favorite.

Kapojinha is pretty awesome too. <3

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Re: What is YOUR alignment?

Postby Hawknc » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:38 pm UTC

After perusing that Wikipedia article...neutral good, perhaps? It seems a bit like fencesitting to me, but I can see situations where I would fit both lawful and chaotic, so neutral is probably a good place to be. (Alert level beige!)

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:54 pm UTC

a quick glace, I'd have to pick Neutral-Neutral. After all, hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

Baldur

Postby Baldur » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:09 pm UTC

After double-checking that the alignments where what I remember them to be, I would have to say Chaotic Good. I believe all people should have good lives, and if that requires an upheaval of the present system, then I'm for it. Not in a destructive way, in a diplomatic way. A person is a person is a person. They all deserve equal rights and people need to stop being inconsiderate douchetrucks.
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:15 pm UTC

Neutral Good

Neutral Good is known as the "Benefactor" alignment. A Neutral Good character is guided by his conscience and typically acts altruistically, without regard for or against Lawful precepts such as rules or tradition. A Neutral Good character has no problems with co-operating with lawful officials, but does not feel beholden to them. In the event that doing the right thing requires the bending or breaking of rules, they do not suffer the same inner conflict that a Lawful Good character would. A doctor who treats soldiers from both sides in a war could be considered Neutral Good.

Examples of Neutral Good characters include Zorro, and Spider-Man.[7] The Neutral Good outsiders are known as Guardinals.

at least that is what I'd say I am.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

Bassoon

Postby Bassoon » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:36 pm UTC

I think I'm equally hung between Chaotic Good and Neutral Neutral.

Lord Aurora

Postby Lord Aurora » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

Chaotic Neutral
Decker wrote:Children! Children! There's no need to fight. You're ALL stupid.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:50 pm UTC

Chaotic Good, as well, for similar reasons as Baldur. I don't think much of tradition, and consider laws to be serving the well-being of the people, and not vice versa.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Waldo

Postby Waldo » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:13 pm UTC

I'm sort of parallel to the floor, at the moment...

Oh, wait. Chaotic good, I guess.
[Signature pending...]

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:20 pm UTC

Waldo wrote:I'm sort of parallel to the floor, at the moment...

Oh, wait. Chaotic good, I guess.

I'm more perpendicular myself.

I'm kind of a true neutral guy. but with chaotic tendencies.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:25 pm UTC

Chaotic Neutral, at least in mindset. My actions show different, though.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:28 pm UTC

I could of sworn this topic existed in the Gaming forum, but I could not find it... So I guess i am crazy.

Any way, I think that I am chaotic good.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:20 am UTC

a friend and i discussed this a LONG time ago. We were both chaotic, usually good. We mean well, and will look out for our own, help people who need it, but we also can't help but throw a wrench in things just to see what happens... especially when everything is, or would be otherwise, going smoothly. This applies mostly to our own lives, and we try to hurt as few other people as possible... sometimes there are casualties, though, and oh well.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Return to “General”