Alignment

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

What's your alignment?

Lawful Good
9%
Neutral Good
27%
Chaotic Good
20%
Lawful Neutral
4%
True Neutral
13%
Chaotic Neutral
22%
Lawful Evil
1%
Neutral Evil
2%
Chaotic Evil
1%

Total votes: 329

ASmileWithoutACat

Re: Alignment

Postby ASmileWithoutACat » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

Yeah, the evil thing's been pretty well covered here, I think; I was having this discussion after a D&D game last night- that evil doesn't mean "RAWR I DESTROY EVERYTHING", it means "If it gets in the way of my plans, I'll destroy it without compunction." Now, in the case of a chaotic evil, the 'plan' in question might be "to amuse myself by burning down this orphanage and watching the panic", but CE is a... special case, I think. Most chaotic alignments seem to be.

Speaking of which, I tend to consider myself chaotic neutral (my primary concern is "is it amusing?", but I find causing other people severe or lasting harm (beyond a playful punch or a smartass insult) unpleasant and avoid it), and tend to favor characters of that alignment, which has caused a disagreement with at least one GM- he hated Chaotic Neutrals because of the possibility of "Oh, you guys are losing and I *am* primarily concerned with myself. Bye! See you in your next life!" I tried to argue that just because I'm not good doesn't mean I can't form emotional attachments &c. to the party, but ended up with a geas that invokes divine wrath on me if the party dies anyway. He and I don't quite see eye-to-eye. Which I do wonder about: What's the difference (if there is one) among chaotic neutral, insane and irrational, and completely self-interested?
You know it's all beginning
To feel like pretending...

Happy yesterday to all!

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:54 pm UTC

So, I was totally in middle school when I started this thread and wow I was dumb. I was convinced that being "Lawful" had anything to do with following laws. Really, it's all about living life in an orderly manner with well-defined principles. Reliability. Likeliness to abide by an established set of rules (note: not the same as following the law). All that being said, I'd say I'm lost somewhere between Lawful and Neutral Good. Though I do consider myself relatively reliable and honest and am quite annoyed by total disorder, I still very much enjoy injection a little chaos into the situation every now and then, even if for nothing else than to show that we can.

Another interesting point is that, in the D&D campaign I'm in, my Chaotic Good mage finally became one of three wish-casters in the world (the other two being Lawful Neutral and Neutral Evil). My character's sort of busy with a ton of stuff at the moment, my new goal as a player is to foment a war of, rather than Good vs. Evil, Law vs. Chaos. The beautiful thing is that, were such a war to break out, the mere fact of its having come to take place would be a declaration of victory for the chaotics. I'm gonna have fun with this =D

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:42 pm UTC

...that was two years ago. Maybe two and half.

Thank you for making me feel fucking old. I appreciate it, and I'll appreciate it more when I'm actually fucking old, as opposed to my current state of Merely Old.

Man, I look forward to be fucking old. 's gonna be awesome.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:43 pm UTC

*Maths*
Uh, ok, so I was a freshman when I started this thread (now a senior), but my point remains the same.
Also, http://xkcd.com/166/
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

Antimony-120
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Postby Antimony-120 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:59 am UTC

Hmmm, I definitely was Chaotic Neutral for a long time, but I've started to drift towards Chaotic Good.

Damnit, that's not as much fun, I should stop giving two shits about other people.
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!

****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

GenericPseudonym

Postby GenericPseudonym » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Cynical Idealist wrote:
Dingbats wrote:I got True Neutral on this test, which fits me very nicely.

"You are 72.2% Good.
You are 38.5% Lawful. "

I got Lawful Good, which surprised me . I consider myself somewhere between True Neutral and Neutral Good (I aim for Neutral Good, but I have failings which push me back into the realm of the Neutral).

Ah well, apparently I'm in good company, according to the page. "Examples of characters and people who fit into the same alignment as you include Superman, Abraham Lincoln, Phileas Fogg, Captain Picard, Sherlock Holmes, and The Tick (who is also sometimes revered to be “Lawful Stupid.”"

You are 5.6% Evil.
You are 0% Lawful.
Alignment: True Neutral

You do whatever seems like a good idea at the time. You don't feel any strong inclination towards good vs. evil or law vs. chaos. Some may say that you lack conviction, while others might admire you for your capability of remaining unbiased. You likely prefer good versus evil in society, since good people tend to make better neighbors and rulers, but you are not personally committed to upholding good in any abstract or universal way.
You are the stereotypical “Balancer.” You act in a way that is natural to you without prejudice or compulsion.
Examples of charactersand people who fit into the same alignment as you include Linus Torvalds, Dr. Strangelove, Scott Evil, Mr. Spock, and the nation of Switzerland.

Sooo, according to this thing I'm true neutral. Seems to fit, I suppose.

Roberthree

Postby Roberthree » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:27 am UTC

"You are 22.2% Evil.
You are 41% Chaotic. "

I always get Chaotic-Neutral on these things. And if/when I roleplay, I always do a Chaotic-Neutral character.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

I'm assuming that the OP wants more posts in this thread, in addition to wanting to comment on how eir view of alignment has changed in the past two years.

That was a somewhat interesting (although long) quiz. Mostly, I noticed that I'm less social than the quiz expects me to be: I don't like strangers getting in my business, and I don't get in the business of strangers. I'm even happy to stay out of the business of my friends, if they don't feel like sharing. But the social -> not social dimension is not included in the traditional alignment system. I was really surprised to be labeled as "good" since I felt like I avoided the "good" answer most of the time because it involved too much interfering with other people's lives.

Anyway, that quiz gave me
You are 55.6% Good.
You are 17.9% Lawful.
Alignment: Neutral Good

Antimony-120
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Postby Antimony-120 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:16 pm UTC

You are 11.1% Good
You are 50% Chaotic

Yeah, like I said, Chaotic Neutral.
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!

****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:13 pm UTC

Guess not much has changed in three years, huh?
You are 77.8% Good.
You are 20.5% Lawful.
You do the best good that a person could be expected to do. You are devoted to helping others. You are willing to work with authority figures, but you do not feel any particular allegiance to them.
You are the stereotypical “Benefactor.” You believe in doing good without any particular bias for or against order.
Examples of charactersand people who fit into the same alignment as you include Mother Theresa, Ghandi, Gandalf, Indiana Jones, O-Bi-Wan Kenobi, Luke Skywalker, Harry Potter, Frodo Baggins, and the Dalai Lama.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:13 pm UTC

You are 47.2% Good.
You are 7.7% Lawful.

Really?
Well I voted True Neutral, and I'm gonna stick with that.

Edit for detail:
While, yes, I will help people if it doesn't inconvenience me too much, I don't tend to go out of my way. I generally put myself (and my friends) before others, which in my eyes makes me Neutral.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:34 pm UTC

Kizyr wrote:I'm definitely Neutral Good. I think rules and order have their place, but they're not always made with good intentions and sometimes need to be circumvented or actively changed. As for the "Good" part, well, I think our ultimate goals should always involve helping others at some point along the way.

Man, I think I've gotten a much better understanding of myself since I made this statement years ago. I'm definitely Lawful Good--I have a disposition for following rules and enforcing them, unless there's a compelling reason not to. Though on my part, I really dislike arbitrary rules and make sure anything I enforce has a good reason behind it.

Taking the test again, I got:
You are 52.8% Good.
You are 15.4% Lawful.

which I disagree with. Some of the questions are situations that I'd actually never come across (I don't drink, I don't participate in shady hazing rituals, I don't swear unconditional secrecy--though I let people know under what conditions I'd have to tell someone else, etc.). And some questions have some other odd definition of 'good' ("saving" a worm by not drowning it doesn't make sense...).

Anyway, I'm Lawful Good, my girlfriend is definitely Chaotic Good (possibly bordering on Chaotic Neutral?), which makes for a really fun dynamic. (Really, it's fun. I'm not being sarcastic there.) KF
~Kizyr

FermiumBalloon

Postby FermiumBalloon » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:08 am UTC

"You are 36.1% Good.
You are 23.1% Chaotic. "
Neutral Good
Since the first time I saw the alignment system, I've moved from True Neutral to Chaotic Neutral to Chaotic Good, and finally to Neutral Good, which definitely seems to fit me right now. I definitely have, since high school, become less misanthropic (neutral --> good) and started to favor pragmatism over principles (chaotic --> neutral). The only thing of which I'm certain is that I'll never be of any Lawful alignment.

CHR1110

Postby CHR1110 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:25 pm UTC

I consider myself more of a chaotic neutral, but, survey says otherwise...

"You are 33.3% Good.
You are 0% Lawful"

Neutral Good, or somewhat anyway. It's easy for me to turn evil though.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:16 pm UTC

The test wrote:4. You work for a finance company developing software

Fuck, this test's good, and I've only answered three questions!
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:23 am UTC

You are 11.1% Evil.
You are 23.1% Chaotic.

I guess that's right... I was torn between True Neutral and Chaotic Neutral. Also, I don't like other people. >_>

Return to “General”