Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mobikwa

Re: Rant Thread - The Spates of Wrath

Postby mobikwa » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:refuses to pull out.

I never pull out :wink:

No, I hate that too.

I was pulled out into the intersection making a left, light turns yellow then red, I see someone who is going to make a right on red (coming from the opposite side of me) but I have to go Im in the intersection. I time myself so Ill end up right behind her and everything will be fine, she see's me coming slowly and slams on her brakes so neither one of us can get through. So now there are 2 cars in the intersection and the other road traffic can't go and somehow I'm in the wrong. Fuck you lady, stop smoking and talking on your phone and learn to drive.

Anyway, to my rant.

Girlfriend's totaled car sits on the street, she is 240 miles away and Im not doing anything with the car till she gets here to take care of it. City decides to do construction on the road and I didnt know about it, car gets towed. Now I have to pay 120 bucks before 1:15 today to get it out or it gets an extra 25 bucks added on for "overnight" storage at the impound lot. Then Ill have to pay 75 bucks to tow it back to my house... Fuck that, if I just leave it there for 20 days, it will be considered abandoned and the problem solves itself, the officer told me so. I would have only gotten 100 bucks for the scrap metal anyway and I had taken everything out of the car beforehand so... keep the piece or shit broken car.
Now I just have to deal with her wrath... maybe ill spend the 100 bucks and buy her something nice to ease the anger 8)

Mr. N

Postby Mr. N » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:58 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Image

It's pretty easy to understand that sign while sitting comfortably in an office chair. But I can see how that might be confusing to understand if I'm driving by it in a car while texting.
Your momma eats Pop Tarts!

Jedifreak

Postby Jedifreak » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:13 pm UTC

Dear Humanity,

You Fail. Last night, there was a fire in a neighborhood next to our college last night. The transformer on the power lines exploded during a storm. I find out about that two minutes after it happens, and I call 911. Since there was nobody there until I called, and they called me to confirm the location, I can reasonably assume that I am the only person to have called last night. An entire apartment building nearby, and I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO CALLED!?

Things worked out okay, and the fire went out soon afterwards on it's own, but you'd think someone else would have called.

Please get a sense of emergency.

Jedifreak.
http://www.improbableisland.com/home.php?r=Jedifreak
http://www.geist-panik.com
Jin_Asias wrote:I still think Jedifreak runs off of a vast macro library

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:46 pm UTC

Once on a road trip in NZ, I switched the GPS to spanish to chuckle a bit. I got to a round about, and the voice goes,
"Vuelta a la derecha de la derecha de la derecha de la derecha" and I almost drove off the road in hysterics.

mobikwa wrote:it will be considered abandoned and the problem solves itself

Something like this happened to my dad and I recently! An old catameran he had tried to repair failed on the water and sank, and the coast guard was going to charge us 1400 bucks to get it lifted and hauled to a nearby harbor. He goes "But I bought the boat for 400$" and the coast guard guy goes "Well, just leave it there then I guess"
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:11 pm UTC

Moo wrote:That's not quite the point I wanted to make though :P

There are several intersections where more than 4 major roads meet, and you couldn't do that with a traffic light.
you should come to america, we can and do use traffic lights for such things
ImageImageImageImageImage

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:14 pm UTC

Spoiled for I-don't-know-why. Personal stuff I guess.

Spoiler:
When I say I just want to be your friend, that's what I mean. When I say I have a boyfriend, that's what I mean. When you ask to hang out with me, you should KNOW not to make a move. And when you make a move and I say no, that means FUCKING STOP.

Backstory: Friend $boy2 texts me, asks if we can hang out last night. I say yes, and I say I'll make some dinner for him and we can hang out. He brings over two bottles of wine and attempts to keep refilling my glass. I hold him off but he drinks a lot; I can hold my alcohol so I'm fine but he's getting progressively more drunk. He starts hinting that he doesn't know if he can drive home, so I just say that I'll call a cab for him and help him get his car in the morning. He stops drinking. Then, 5 minutes later, he tries to kiss me. I turn away and say no, I have a boyfriend, I've told $boy2 I just want to be friends. He puts his arm around me and tries for another kiss. By now I'm getting mad and I tell him that I already said no, would he please leave now? $boy2, instead of leaving, tries AGAIN. At this point I grab him by the wrist and forcefully push him out of my apartment. I tell him that I can call a cab if he wants, but I don't want him to stay there anymore. He says he'll walk since he only lives a few blocks away. The night ends with me feeling more ragey than I've felt for a long time.

What makes me really mad is that we'd had a long night talking about relationship stuff, and he'd mentioned an ex-girlfriend of his and how she'd cheated on him. He said that it seemed like all the girls in our city had no problem jumping from guy to guy and it was hard to find a girl who didn't just sleep around. Then he TRIES TO MAKE ME ONE OF THOSE GIRLS. I felt so fucking degraded, it made me sick.
milk from space is good for you!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:19 pm UTC

Hopkinsville Road/US68, 4th/Depot Street/US68, and Bethel Street in Russellville, KY - while not major in the sense that it's a huge sprawling metropolis, it is a major intersection in that town of five roads coming together. And yes, it uses lights.

And Spacemilk - does he refer to himself as a nice guy? Just curious....
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:27 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:And Spacemilk - does he refer to himself as a nice guy? Just curious....

Probably. I'm not sure. I feel like a lot of guys will consider themselves "nice guys" in spite of the evidence, they just think they're misunderstood. Girls can do that too, though, so I'm not just picking on guys.

And before last night I would've said he was a very nice guy because he had always acted well around me. I had no clue whatsoever he was pushy like that; if I'd known I never would've agreed to hang out alone when alcohol was involved, or well, hang out alone at all.

I already have trust issues. It's going to be harder for me now. /rant off
Last edited by Spacemilk on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
milk from space is good for you!

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:28 pm UTC

On the subject of butting in with one's beliefs, getting into an argument about theology by saying God doesn't exist is like that annoying thing I do in threads.

EDIT: I'm scared of becoming the guy who considers himself the "nice guy" but is really an annoying asshat.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:57 pm UTC

Protip: A Nice Guy's though process runs something along the lines of "I always help her with homework, I do things she loves doing with her, I'm always there to listen to her problems and offer advice when she needs it - but I usually just listen because that's all she needs, I'm always there to talk on the phone when she needs to vent, and I buy her nice little things from time to time to remind her of how special she is... so why the fuck isn't she sucking my cock?"

The main problem with the thought process is that people, women in particular, have a set of weights or balances or a checksheet or whatever, and some kind of exchange rate. As though 100 Class A actions, 50 Class B actions or 10 Class C actions = 1 Blowjob; 100 Class B actions or 20 Class C actions = One Handjob; 50 Class C actions = Fucking. Because, you know, that's how people totally work. Desire, wants, and emotions don't play into it at all. It's a simple spreadsheet of checks and balances, and actions of a certain type build up your Fuckbank balance, and you're free to cash it in whenever you want. That's why Nice Guys suck.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Aetius

Postby Aetius » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:15 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:That's why Nice Guys suck.

I feel bad for "Nice Guys." They don't occur in a vacuum and I have trouble condemning totally someone who is acting out a script they were taught since they were a child. The defining characteristic of a "Nice Guy" seems to be that they're well intentioned but massively misinformed. I mean there's a reason why spacemilk's pursuer (for lack of a better term) was a) incapable of expressing his interest outright, and b) incapable of making a move without being excessively drunk. They're so crippled by how they've been told a "gentleman" acts (namely things a "gentleman" would never do) that the only options that seem viable to them are convoluted, underhanded and ineffectual. It'll take years for them to come to the realization that how they're acting is both unacceptable and ineffective (if they ever do come to that realization) and then years more to overcome the bullshit that's kicking around in their head.

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:17 pm UTC

Confession, I used to be a Nice Guy. I have since learned the error of my ways. Now I try to be just a friend instead of a friend that's expecting something.

Edit: back on topic. I'm pretty much being forced to take an unpayed day off since there arn't going to be a lot of people here on that day. It's annoying.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:24 pm UTC

@SpaceMilk: That's pretty scary, but I have to say, I'm impressed with the way you handled the situation. It's amazing to me that someone could A) be that willing to ignore your 'signals' [by saying "NO, stop it now" you cross the line way past mere signal]. B) be that hypocritical with previous conversation.

I'm hoping for your sake that the guy is horribly embarrassed at his actions, apologizes profusely, and promises to never drink that excessively around you again, although based on his bringing two bottles of wine, it seems unlikely :(

Re: Nice Guy Bullshit;
No. Just no. Everything ST said is dead on; the notion that if I worm my way into her life enough they'll make me part of it (with her mouth) is based on an epidemic of obsessive and smarmy individuals who are unable to form real relationships, and instead latch on like a parasite, siphoning away life and experiences, hoping to make them their own.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Aetius

Postby Aetius » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:44 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I'm hoping for your sake that the guy is horribly embarrassed at his actions, apologizes profusely, and promises to never drink that excessively around you again, although based on his bringing two bottles of wine, it seems unlikely :(

Of course he's horribly embarrassed. I guarantee he's absolutely hating himself right now and I'd be surprised if he even has the courage to talk to her again. If he does it will come via IM or text.

I'm not trying to discount SpaceMilk's experience, I just want to illustrate that these guys aren't malicious and calculating predators. They're inexperienced guys with very unhealthy views of relationships because of how they were raised and the images of courtship they were fed when they were young.

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:52 pm UTC

Ignoring the crass generalisations about nice guys/'nice guys'/Nice Guys™, I think he made a dick move, probably feels like shit, and should feel like shit. Alcohol fucks up the equation in any context, and people should have the bobdamn good sense to stop drinking at a sensible point. Also, no means no, as if that needed repeating.
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

Aetius

Postby Aetius » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:53 pm UTC

Oh and uh rant: I walked out of what I thought was going to be my job for the semester because I refused to sign the contract. Time to go back to hitting up my friends for connections to cushy on campus jobs.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:56 pm UTC

What was it you objected to in the contract?

Aetius

Postby Aetius » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:01 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:What was it you objected to in the contract?

-5-year no compete clause (which is actually illegal in my state I'm pretty sure)
-Agreeing to pay assessed fees in excess of my hourly rate if I missed work
-Agreeing to forfeit my wages if I didn't submit my timesheets on time
-Agreeing to pay a penalty in excess of what I'd make the entire semester if I failed to give proper two weeks notice
-Agreeing that my employer could alter the terms of the contract at any time and they would become effective upon notifying me
-Agreeing that I could not contest any part of the contract in court (including the part of the contract about me not being able to protest any part of the contract)

Ultimately I just wasn't comfortable signing the contract based on the financial risks I'd be assuming and what the contract might imply about the kinds of people I'm working for. I've worked in similar positions in the past and never had to sign anything approaching that (for the record the job was tutoring kids).

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

... yeah, I don't blame you for walking out on that.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:25 pm UTC

Yeah, that's, uh, a pretty shitty contract.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:30 pm UTC

Was the money good enough to consider it?

Aetius

Postby Aetius » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Was the money good enough to consider it?

$17.50/hr, but factoring in drive time, taxes and gas (plus any teaching supplies, parking costs/tickets and other incidental costs) plus that contract, I'd rather take a $10/hr job on campus which I know is aboveboard and highly student friendly.

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:36 pm UTC

Even for that much money, I wouldn't have taken it.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:38 pm UTC

I'm not disagreeing with your decision to walk away from that... Just wondering if there are other perks? Like, I dunno, company Benz, access to a Flux Capacitor, two hour lunch breaks with Bar Rafeli, good dental?

Aetius

Postby Aetius » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:43 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I'm not disagreeing with your decision to walk away from that... Just wondering if there are other perks? Like, I dunno, company Benz, access to a Flux Capacitor, two hour lunch breaks with Bar Rafeli, good dental?

Contract set you up as an independent contractor, so actually negative benefits.

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:10 pm UTC

If I link something, take the time to at least click it, please? It takes you less time than writing "I don't want to right now" every, every time I link to something.
I don't like how you always link to YouTube videos when you downright refuse to even click my links.
Most of the time they're to images. Three seconds. Half a second to click, a little to load and then a quick glance/close tab. Maybe a giggle, even.
Takes you more time to write "I don't want to right now"...

Oh, and ranting over this makes me feel so frickin' hypocritical. Like usual.

Jedifreak

Postby Jedifreak » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:21 pm UTC

Aetius wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:Was the money good enough to consider it?

$17.50/hr, but factoring in drive time, taxes and gas (plus any teaching supplies, parking costs/tickets and other incidental costs) plus that contract, I'd rather take a $10/hr job on campus which I know is aboveboard and highly student friendly.

Personally, with a contract like that, I wouldn't have taken that job even if it made me CEO and I got paid Three hundred fifty-thousand a week. Even if I could comply completely and totally very easily, I wouldn't take it on the very principle of the thing. :evil:

Also, kudos for actually reading the contract.
http://www.improbableisland.com/home.php?r=Jedifreak
http://www.geist-panik.com
Jin_Asias wrote:I still think Jedifreak runs off of a vast macro library

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:28 pm UTC

Frank Zappa was not on anything; he was completely teetotal and the closest things to drugs he ever took were cigarettes and coffee, that's righ, he didn't even booze it up. You're thinking of Captain Beefheart. That dude was off his face 24/7
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

scikidus

Postby scikidus » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:32 am UTC

Posting this here instead of in Forum Bugs/Issues because it's now irrelevant.

Something happened with the cookies on this computer, as I was suddenly locked out of forums.xkcd.com.

Here's the timeline:
1. Click the "Login" button.
2. Enter username and password.
3. Click "Submit".
4. Recieve "You have successfully logged in" message.
5. Either wait for page to redirect or click on any other button.
6. Appear on next page, logged out. Recieve either login screen or board index without new posts notifications.
7. Grumble.
8. Go to Step 1.

Finally I managed to clear the cookies. Problem solved.
Happy hollandaise!

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:26 am UTC

Son of a bitch.
After monday and tuesday I was so happy, I'd finally found a group of people with whom I fit in.
This happiness is still here, but I am no longer able to enjoy it now; my dad just lost his job.
And he didn't lost it because he was a bad worker, far from it, he's practically the glue holding that section of the company together; he was doing four peoples jobs, and then they treat him like this?! Fucking bastards.
And now that he is out of a job, my mum can't keep on at uni and will have to look for a job as well (my dads last job was quite well paying), and she had just started uni. It was in museum stuff and postgrad. One of her opportunities of a lifetime. And now she can't do it.
And my job is on the line too at the moment.
I'm still happy about finally having a place I fit in after 17 years....but I just can't smile now....
Fuck you universe, you finally let me be happy for once in my fucking life and then after 4 days, take it straight back from me.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:22 am UTC

scikidus wrote:Posting this here instead of in Forum Bugs/Issues because it's now irrelevant.

Something happened with the cookies on this computer, as I was suddenly locked out of forums.xkcd.com.

Here's the timeline:
1. Click the "Login" button.
2. Enter username and password.
3. Click "Submit".
4. Recieve "You have successfully logged in" message.
5. Either wait for page to redirect or click on any other button.
6. Appear on next page, logged out. Recieve either login screen or board index without new posts notifications.
7. Grumble.
8. Go to Step 1.

Finally I managed to clear the cookies. Problem solved.
thanks, i just gave up an signed in through a different address
ImageImageImageImageImage

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:28 am UTC

Its simple. A roster comes out with non-consulted changes to my shifts, and you ring me to tell me that you're changing it. Especially when I work on the sunday, it comes out on the monday and you expect me to know when I next come in on the friday that you changed my friday shift. I CAN'T RING YOU EVERY FUCKING DAY OF THE YEAR TO FIND OUT! ITS COMMON COURTESY HOWEVER FOR YOU TO RING ME IN THE RARE EVENT YOU CHANGE MY FRIKKIN ROSTER!
For fucks sake, is it really that hard? Its happened 6-7 times and every time I've made a complaint.
Fuck you.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:25 am UTC

Why is it so hard to find out who is in charge of two of the course I want to sit in on next semester? You'd think it would make sense to make that information pretty easy for students to find.

Also is it so hard for registration to email me back? I need to send my forms in! I just don't know what the hell I'm supposed to write on them and nobody seems able to tell me. I'm sure I can't be the only person to ever have had to resit a semester...
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:41 am UTC

I'm never getting used to these types of calls:
*customer calls*
me: hi, you've reached customerservices, you are talking with <name>
Customer: Hi...Could i talk to someone who knows something about computers?
Me: you are...
Customer: But I mean, someone who knows technical things, not a girl.

I ended up patching her through to my group leader with the message "She don't want to talk to a girl, she wants to talk to someone who knows about computers". He's now been playing dumb on purpose for 15 minutes.

:x <-this smiley look more like it's constipated than angry.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:49 am UTC

We have 1 female in our department, and if anyone did that to her, she is in her full right to hang the fuck up on them.

Fortunately that has never happened, because we are tech support for other peoples tech support, so the people we talk to have some intelligence.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

apoklips

Postby apoklips » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:09 am UTC

I am getting really sick of all the misconceptions people have in regards to feminism. If I hear the phrase "man-hating" one more time, or any claims about how feminism has "gone too far" and put men at a disadvantage, I will freak the fuck out.
"Wow, sarcasm! That's original..." - Dr. Horrible

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:34 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:I'm never getting used to these types of calls:
*customer calls*
me: hi, you've reached customerservices, you are talking with <name>
Customer: Hi...Could i talk to someone who knows something about computers?
Me: you are...
Customer: But I mean, someone who knows technical things, not a girl.

I ended up patching her through to my group leader with the message "She don't want to talk to a girl, she wants to talk to someone who knows about computers". He's now been playing dumb on purpose for 15 minutes.

:x <-this smiley look more like it's constipated than angry.
I hate that. SO MUCH!
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Decker

Postby Decker » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:48 pm UTC

My jaw keeps popping when I open my mouth or chew. It's incredibly annoying.

Dentist said that fixing it would be a big ordeal, which I would guess involves either ramming the bone back into place or cutting my face open. Or both.

It Should Be Real
Ninja Sauce Container

Postby It Should Be Real » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:50 pm UTC

RE: computery things, I never used to get taken seriously either.
Working in a computer repairs place, I was not only a girltype, but a teenage girltype. Clearly I was not to be trusted with such weighty matters as reinstalling windows on their machine and changing power supplies. Because I'd spill nail varnish on it, or something.

Unrelated rant: Hey, uterus.
Listen.

I hate you.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:54 pm UTC

Hormones? Emotions?
I'm going to echo ISBR and say...
Listen.

I hate you.

ARGH.
I'm cycling between being on the edge of tears and wanting to break things in anger.
This is not a good place to be at work.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Return to “General”