Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

scienceroboticspunk

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:47 am UTC

Err computer. I HATE YOU
these are words
type, type, type

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:56 am UTC

Why do colleges care so much about prerequisites? If someone's willing to pay you good money for credit and the class isn't even close to full, just... let them in, with the clause that if more qualified/deserving people show up they have to give up their seat. Or are they more worried about their pass rates?

(I'm very certain that I took Calc III, and that I have all of the prior knowledge needed for Diff EQ. Why do we need to bring transcripts into this?)

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:58 am UTC

Because if they didn't have transcripts to work from, you could be wasting the professor's time, as well as everyone else in the class, by asking stupid questions. I've been in a few classes with some seriously under prepared people, it stopped me from learning anything.

That aside, I feel your pain. Sometimes pre-reqs are just the college making money. I had the equivalent of Management 404, but they required that I take their management pre-req, which was a 100 series class just because the class I wanted required it.

Pissed me the hell off.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Dason

Postby Dason » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:04 am UTC

Could they have made this any more boring? I just fell asleep trying to read this damn slide. Three times in a row. I couldn't remember where I finished so I started at the top and before I finished I'd be snoozing because dammit this is all common sense.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:54 am UTC

Xeio wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Aww fuck.

Spoiler:
It's Monday. :evil:
I still think Tuesday is worse, you're not really any closer to the weekend, and you're not running off the "I just haven't worked for two days over the weekend" high.

Aww fuck.

Spoiler:
It's Tuesday. :evil:
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

NotGrouchy

Postby NotGrouchy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:20 am UTC

Think of Tuesday as a retake of Monday !

That way it's like you've gone back in time and you've got a second chance !

What did I not get done on Monday ? Oh ! I forgot to paint the sunset: good job I have another chance, it being Second Monday and all ! Have you smiled at a neighbour today ?

*Pineapples !*

-NG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., hugs!
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to SPREAD LOVE AMONG HIS FELLOW MAN....
Sungura wrote:I really miss him. Every day. He was pretty snuggly.

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:52 am UTC

Wow, that is one appropriate username you've got there.

(It would be waaaaaaay more awesomer if I didn't highly suspect you of being someone's alt account, what with the low postcount and RG referencing and all.)

((But it's still kind of awesome.))
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Kewangji » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:40 am UTC

Mavketl wrote:Aw, man. :(

I really did think of Sweden as one of the best countries in the world, and now I'm sad, too.

I'm sorry :( I promise we'll do everything we can to toss them the fuck out in the next election. We'll be demonstrating even more and all that, and we'll have a lower douchebag-count. Promise.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:23 am UTC

Alright, looky here mister. I grew up with dogs. I have a brain. I am perfectly capable of separating an aggressive dog from a playful one. Your dog was snarling and pulling it's leash. It was not being "playful", it was showing signs of aggression. I do not need you to tell me how nice your dog is or that I should "not worry". I need you to remove your dog from my face and keep it away from the kids I'm looking after. Also take your dog for a walk, give it some exercise. I understand that you live in a small apartment in a city and don't have time to go running around. But when you get a large dog despite advice because "you don't want one of those little poofy looking dogs" you have a responsibility to take care of it.

Also, fuck all of you who get animals because you think its cool then abandon them when you find out they actually require work. You are scum. If you live in a city and know you can't get to a park or other places where there's room for your dog to run around, but absolutely feel that you must have a dog, there is nothing wrong with getting a smaller dog. There is nothing shameful about smaller dogs except the things you make up in your head. Yes, people might snigger and make comments but that's because they are idiots, just like you. And for gods sake get it neutered if you don't intend to use it for breeding, or otherwise have a good reason not to, except your whining little wounded sense of machismo.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

vector

Postby vector » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:46 pm UTC

Not much of a rant, I guess, but this seems like a better place to post than anywhere else.

I like the members of this forum. I think that most of you are, by and large, far more educated, creative, and well-behaved than the vast majority of the internet. This is why I am still here, on this forum, trying to get along.

That said, I am generally afraid to post here. I show up and see more aggression than humor going on a good bit of the time, and so I find myself afraid of saying something uneducated or ignorant and being jumped on for a viewpoint I didn't realize I was espousing. I suppose the answer might just be "so don't post about social dilemmas!" but that's just avoiding a problem, isn't it? So is saying "just man up and post!" Just because I am uninformed or misinformed does not mean that I am willfully ignorant. Sometimes one's circumstances just don't lead to the situations one would need to become educated, and it doesn't seem necessary to punish people just because they know a little bit less or have a different viewpoint on some topic or another.

Thanks for listening, and I apologize for any offense I may have caused.
Come visit the Bay12 Mafia subforum: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=20.0

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:57 pm UTC

vector wrote:Important stuff.

As someone who has been both aggressor and defender, I can say that by and large while there are large munitions flying hither and thither, the members of this forum are not...the grudge carrying type by and large. Very opinionated, very mired in their beliefs at times, but they are a caring bunch by and large. As with any group of people there are some assholes, some classholes, and some morons, but they are easily ignored. I've spent the past two days being brutalized in a thread, and I've received many, many private messages from people who are both supportive of my opinion, and attempting to change my perspective in a non-public manner. All in all, I'd recommend you stay, lurk, dabble in threads that interest you, and stay out of Serious Business unless you have a "substantial" post to add. Them sharks can be vicious.

The EGE wrote:

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:02 pm UTC

People here - especially regulars - tend to have a blunt style of posting, which can come off as aggression. And also, without body language or context to modulate, statements also tend to get exaggerated. I'm sorry if you've felt unwelcome - there are also lots of forums that tend to sail on a more even keel, like the food, movies, music, or forum games sections. Sometimes I could be shouting at someone in one thread, and be cheerfully gleeful with them over a new recipe simultaneously in another thread.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:35 pm UTC

Having said what I did earlier, it's really not a case of 'love me love my pope'. No. Your pope is a bigotted asshole. I won't hear a word said against you, my friends who happen to be from Ireland, but the man's a fuckwit.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:39 pm UTC

Pope Palpatine? Err...Pope Sidious? Err...damn it....Pope...wuzzhisname?

The EGE wrote:

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:45 pm UTC

Darth Ratzinger?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:46 pm UTC

yeah, all this stuff about protestant churches not being real churches- not that I'm even religious or anything. Who the shit does he think he is? god's representative on earth or something? He may, of course, be trolling the whole world, but I doubt it.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:50 pm UTC

Wouldn't that be awesome? He's laying on his death bed, writes a letter directly to /b/ saying, "I TROLL J00".

The EGE wrote:

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:51 pm UTC

I admit it'd be pretty awesome, yes.
-a friend.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:52 pm UTC

I just got my mock proposal totally torn apart in class. Which is fine, it's not graded or anything, but goddamn, was that a brutal tearing aparting.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:52 pm UTC

That man makes me so angry! I want John Paul II back. He was a nice Pope.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:53 pm UTC

Mock proposal for what?

The EGE wrote:

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:That man makes me so angry! I want John Paul II back. He was a nice Pope.

Ahahahahaha. It's all about perspective, I guess.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:58 pm UTC

Dave_Wise wrote:yeah, all this stuff about protestant churches not being real churches- not that I'm even religious or anything. Who the shit does he think he is? god's representative on earth or something? He may, of course, be trolling the whole world, but I doubt it.

How far could he push it before the Catholics started getting worried about him trolling? "I declare Dec 25th wear a bowler hat or go to hell forever day". Infallible, of course.

Anyway, my rant is: I feel like a little bitch going through this university admissions procedure. I am the puppet, no, the whore, dancing for the universities as they smile and laugh and pick us out from the crowds of hundreds. And even with great grades and stuff, no guarantee of a place. Of course, the fall-back is always, live on a farm, become friends with sheep.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:00 pm UTC

Become friends with a sheep, or become "friends" with a sheep?

The EGE wrote:

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:02 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:That man makes me so angry! I want John Paul II back. He was a nice Pope.

To other religions and atheists, yes.
To women and homosexuals, not so much.

But the current pope isn't really nice to those people either, I guess you can say that John Paul II was nicer.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:08 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:

But the current pope isn't really nice to those people either, I guess you can say that John Paul II was nicer.
Not to say that John Paul was perfect, obviously. But at least he didn't go to Africa and proclaim Condoms evil, or equate atheists with nazis. The main point is that he doesn't look like Darth Sidious, and was never in the Hitler Youth.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:51 pm UTC

Ahhh science equipment and the associated glitchy propriety programs. For example, to get this confocal microscope to take a z-stack, I need to hit start, then hit cancel as it freaks out and cycles through every light source it can, then hit start again. Only after instructing it to go ahead a second time, does it work just fine.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOU CRASH THAT MAKES ME LOSE AN HOUR OF DATA FUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOU
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

vector

Postby vector » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:55 pm UTC

@podbaydoor and Oregonaut:

Thank you for telling me that. I'll keep trying and see if I can't acclimate.
Come visit the Bay12 Mafia subforum: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=20.0

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:00 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Become friends with a sheep, or become "friends" with a sheep?

Friends with baaaaaaanefits?

(That was funnier in my head.)

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:27 am UTC

Whelan wrote:
Zarq wrote:

Not to say that John Paul was perfect, obviously. But at least he didn't go to Africa and proclaim Condoms evil, or equate atheists with nazis. The main point is that he doesn't look like Darth Sidious, and was never in the Hitler Youth.

To be fair, it's not like he had a choice about joining the Hitler Youth; it was rather intensely compulsory at the time, and as I understand it, his family was pretty anti-Nazi on principle. Not that I like his current stances or anything, but the Nazi card is pulled out unfairly often against him sometimes.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:28 am UTC

If I remember correctly his father moved the family several times to avoid Naziisisism.
Ⓞⓞ◯

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:58 am UTC

Balls. Would be nice to know why my arm hurts. Is it the tendonitis in my shoulder, the slash I took on the wrist on Friday, using this stupid laptop mouse nub, or something else? Whatever it is, it would be nice if my arm stopped hurting.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:30 am UTC

emceng wrote:Balls. Would be nice to know why my arm hurts. Is it the tendonitis in my shoulder, the slash I took on the wrist on Friday, using this stupid laptop mouse nub, or something else? Whatever it is, it would be nice if my arm stopped hurting.

Hugs and same! I think I slept on my arm funny last night :(
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:22 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:To be fair, it's not like he had a choice about joining the Hitler Youth; it was rather intensely compulsory at the time, and as I understand it, his family was pretty anti-Nazi on principle. Not that I like his current stances or anything, but the Nazi card is pulled out unfairly often against him sometimes.

The reason it gets raised is because he made a speech implying that atheism was a contributing factor to naziism. As someone who experienced Nazi rule first-hand, he should know better.

Edited to reduce quote pyramid.

natraj

Postby natraj » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:33 pm UTC

The reason it gets raised is because he made a speech implying that atheism was a contributing factor to naziism. As someone who experienced Nazi rule first-hand, he should know better.

Well, except it is something that has been raised really frequently throughout his entire tenure as Pope and that speech was only made this month.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:37 pm UTC

Another rant about these fora (not really a negative, per se, just something I find annoying): I find loads of the threads in SB and N&A really interesting and stimulating and frequently want to post in them, until I realise that in order to post anything sensible I'd have to spend most of the day reading the thread and doing research on <insert thread topic> to keep up - I don't have that kind of time. There are just so many experts (or, perhaps, people faking it, but I can't tell the difference) that it just feels futile trying to contribute to most topics myself.

Mostly, though, it's because I tire of debates fairly quickly. I can frame a reasonable argument for a debate for a few hefty posts, but then it just gets boring.

Related mini side-rant: I've now mostly lost contact with the guy with whom I used to have semi-regular anarcho-capitalism (his side) vs socialism (mine) debates. Those were fun. :(

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:42 pm UTC

natraj wrote:

Well, except it is something that has been raised really frequently throughout his entire tenure as Pope and that speech was only made this month.

Oh in that case, agreed. Unless that factoid happens to be relevent to the topic at hand, that's just Godwinning.

Adacore wrote:Another rant about these fora (not really a negative, per se, just something I find annoying): I find loads of the threads in SB and N&A really interesting and stimulating and frequently want to post in them, until I realise that in order to post anything sensible I'd have to spend most of the day reading the thread and doing research on <insert thread topic> to keep up - I don't have that kind of time. There are just so many experts (or, perhaps, people faking it, but I can't tell the difference) that it just feels futile trying to contribute to most topics myself.

Mostly, though, it's because I tire of debates fairly quickly. I can frame a reasonable argument for a debate for a few hefty posts, but then it just gets boring.

Related mini side-rant: I've now mostly lost contact with the guy with whom I used to have semi-regular anarcho-capitalism (his side) vs socialism (mine) debates. Those were fun. :(

I usually find I want to post something in some N&A thread, but I fear that posting it will betray some huge ignorance on my part and everyone will tear into me for it, especially if it's an unpopular opinion.

icanus

Postby icanus » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:05 pm UTC

Damn chest infection. I work through an agency, so I don't get sick pay while I'm laying in bed occasionally rolling over to spit lung-butter into a bowl. On the bright side, I get to use the term "lung butter" (which really helps keep the conversation short when calling in sick to work). On the slightly less plus side, I've been re-watching all of scrubs recently, and this has featured heavily in my fever dreams.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:07 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I usually find I want to post something in some N&A thread, but I fear that posting it will betray some huge ignorance on my part and everyone will tear into me for it, especially if it's an unpopular opinion.

Verily, for that is exactly what I meant.

ThinkSweet

Postby ThinkSweet » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:31 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:Another rant about these fora (not really a negative, per se, just something I find annoying): I find loads of the threads in SB and N&A really interesting and stimulating and frequently want to post in them, until I realise that in order to post anything sensible I'd have to spend most of the day reading the thread and doing research on <insert thread topic> to keep up - I don't have that kind of time. There are just so many experts (or, perhaps, people faking it, but I can't tell the difference) that it just feels futile trying to contribute to most topics myself.

This is also why I don't post there much & why I had trouble convincing my best friend to join the fora. He's used to a lot more thread splits and more specific topics which makes for a lot less reading than the big amalgam threads we have here.
</rant>

Return to “General”