Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Mavketl » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:18 pm UTC

Why would you not appreciate the armadillo's vengeful attitude?
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:19 pm UTC

And with the new page, the debate is over. If you want to keep going, take it to PMs. It's off-topic.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

konaya

Postby konaya » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.

EDIT: Oh, sorry lanicita, I was typing when you said that. I'll shut up now.
Last edited by apricity on Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:38 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed post-moderation continuation of debate

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:30 pm UTC

New rant: I'm angry at myself for not somehow anticipating this whole blizzard across all of New England thing and not somehow getting the hell out beforehand.

It is ridiculously dispiriting to be able to practically see the rail station out my window, but to know it would to me absolutely no good to go walk there because all rail service is currently suspended.

...I wanna go home and see my friends and our cats and play Dance Central. </whiny bastard>
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:28 pm UTC

Thanks a lot, you douche.

I wasn't planning to be triggered by a picture of a cute bunny rabbit today. Really, though, the absolute worst was your pompous, masturbatory commentary on the image.

I'm seriously thinking about not reading S*P anymore.
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:29 pm UTC

Well, I'm back from having a wonderful week with my family who I love and adore and hadn't seen for two odd months. Now to spend my all my days these next few weeks working and then coming back to this cold, quiet flat, knowing that y housemates aren't back until the start of term (in three weeks) and knowing that, barring New Years eve (where I shall see my sister from about 10:00 PM when I'll probably be back in London, then leaving again at 10:00 AM the next day to get to work in Birmingham), it'll will probably be another two months until I can see my family again.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:32 pm UTC

When your maintenance man comes to fix things, the operative assumption happens not to be that he will break more things. At least I have lots of blankets.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

Barnes & Noble has a small section of trivia books, but not a single one of the books are of the classic "question with answer" format. It's just a bunch of books of useless facts.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

DecemberSoul

Postby DecemberSoul » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:07 pm UTC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11877608
"Oh no, I can't discriminate against gay people anymore!" "Oh no, my workplace/school won't change their rules about jewellery just for me! I'm so OPPRESSED!"

Cry me a river. Of shit.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:16 pm UTC

NecklaceOfShadow wrote:Thanks a lot, you douche.

I wasn't planning to be triggered by a picture of a cute bunny rabbit today. Really, though, the absolute worst was your pompous, masturbatory commentary on the image.

Possibly triggery:
Spoiler:
Are you familiar with his Rippy character? If triggery things are problematic for you it might be very wise indeed to stop reading.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:18 pm UTC

DecemberSoul wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11877608
"Oh no, I can't discriminate against gay people anymore!" "Oh no, my workplace/school won't change their rules about jewellery just for me! I'm so OPPRESSED!"

Cry me a river. Of shit.

I have never heard of a workplace or school banning jewelry, and if they did then I would assume they are run by a bunch of idiots. People should be free to display their religion, although workplaces do have the right to whatever discrimination/dress rules they want. I still believe they are still idiots if they ban jewelry, especially if it's because of religion.

That said, people discriminating against others because of their religion is equally as bad as discriminating against people because of their race or sexuality, regardless of the level of Basic Human Decency.

Basic Human Decency tends to cross the line into ridiculous.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

DecemberSoul

Postby DecemberSoul » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:28 pm UTC

Really? My high school was VERY strict about wearing no jewellery, and no, they would not bend the rules for a cross necklace. Most of the students were Christians, but necklaces are obviously not required. And plenty of workplaces where you're facing the public have uniform rules.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:31 pm UTC

It's been almost 10 years since I graduated from high school, but women wore a lot of jewelry when they were in school (ears, tongue, nose, and belly button pierced, bracelets, necklaces, anklets, rings) and it didn't cause any problems.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:33 pm UTC

The case mentioned in the sidebar was from a Lydia Playfoot (who's parents and grandparents are involved in the local purity ring movement, make of that what you will) sued to be able to wear her purity ring to school, as the school had told her no because it violated the dress code without sufficient demonstration that it was integral to her religious beliefs. So one would assume a Sikh kara would still be fine, as it's a fairly important part of Sikhism.

No word on whether or not a necklace would violate the dress code.

Basic Human Decency tends to cross the line into ridiculous.
Do me a favor, please. Explain to me (feel free to use small words) as to why it's a bad thing. Please. I'll wait. Really, I will. And feel free to use any sort of online source you'd like. Really! I'll read it and everything, promise!

I say that as most of the time bitching about Basic Human Decency seems to boil down to "We can't call them Darkies anymore and I'm sad"

Also, note that you're in Southern California, and presumably attended school there. Mine, for example (1994-1998, public school) did not allow for visible piercings outside of the ear, and even then only a few were permitted. If you had them, fine, but you'd have to take them out during school hours... so any fast-sealing holes would close back up. Tattoos were something they weren't too crazy about, but allowed for. Hell, the dude who had a green mohawk had to shave it off.
Last edited by SecondTalon on Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:40 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:it violated the dress code without sufficient demonstration that it was integral to her religious beliefs. So one would assume a Sikh kara would still be fine, as it's a fairly important part of Sikhism.

So who gets to determine what is or is not an integral component of one's religious beliefs?
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:41 pm UTC

Why, the secular legal system, of course!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:45 pm UTC

DecemberSoul wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11877608

Cry me a river. Of shit.

A quote from the article:
"I believe that the things that we value in this country such as education and the NHS have their foundations in Christianity."

*facepalm*
*headdesk*
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:49 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Do me a favor, please. Explain to me (feel free to use small words) as to why it's a bad thing. Please. I'll wait. Really, I will. And feel free to use any sort of online source you'd like. Really! I'll read it and everything, promise!

I say that as most of the time bitching about Basic Human Decency seems to boil down to "We can't call them Darkies anymore and I'm sad"

The problem is, many people don't know how to distinguish races anymore, especially blacks. Some people will say "black" is offensive, some will say "colored" is offensive (although not the NAACP). However, there is absolutely no one that I can find who has a problem calling white people, well, white. Now, I have never been scalded by a black person for calling them black, however, I have been scalded by a white person who considered that term offensive. You could say people should be colorblind, which is silly since the only time when I have been in conversations mentioning race, is when we were talking specifically about race.

The same can be said for midgets and dwarfs. Many midgets are offended by the word little people, but you can and will be scalded for calling them midgets because it isn't Basically Decent.

Where it crosses from the annoying to the ridiculous is usually around the holiday seasons, where people get offended by the use of the word Christmas. The city can't have a Christmas tree lighting because it may offend some people. It's silly, since most people in this country celebrate Christmas, even those that aren't Christians. It's even a federal holiday, but no one seems to complain that they get the day off work.

Oh, and then there is this:

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?secti ... id=7475737

We are so caught up in the words that we ignore the important thing, the context.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:52 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I say that as most of the time bitching about Basic Human Decency seems to boil down to "We can't call them Darkies anymore and I'm sad"
When I complain about too much PC it tends to be things like "you can't say fireman, it's fireperson now" or "now children, let's sing 'Baa Baa Rainbow sheep'." (goddamn it it doesn't scan!) But I tend to think of PC having peaked in the 90s. Hell, when there was that stupid outrage about that KFC ad cricket ad last summer, blaming it on Basic Human Decency didn't cross my mind.

These days a sort of specifically anti-political correctness seems to be prevalent. Lord am I sick of people who think statements like 'get back in the kitchen' qualify as a joke. At least include a bit of wordplay or something.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:blah blah blah blah Lord blah blah blah blah

I'M OFFENDED.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Kang

Postby Kang » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:56 pm UTC

The whole point of Basic Human Decency is to encourage people to think about what they say and consider how some words might be offensive to other people. This is a great idea. It crosses into the ridiculous when some people, I without any correctness about it like to call them 'P.C. nazis', turn it from that fine idea into a dictatorship in which they get worked up about the use of certain words instead of 'proper terms' while at the same time they use that proper term in a much more discriminating way.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:00 pm UTC

Why do you have a problem with not being able to say 'fireman'? It's an obviously sexist word that assumes the gender of the subject is male.
You can either use 'fireman/woman' (which has its own problems) or 'firefighter' which avoids the use of gender, uses alliteration AND conjures an image of somebody literally fighting fire.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:05 pm UTC

Although "man" is often used as short for "human" or "humanity."

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:07 pm UTC

Yeah, and that's sexist bullshit too.
Ⓞⓞ◯

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:08 pm UTC

Yes, because all people everywhere have promised to mentally substitute "men and women in a rainbow-colored coalition of togetherness" every time someone uses the word "man."
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:13 pm UTC

I don't believe it was originally sexist, I think that people decided it was sexist in recent history. The problem is that groups that are fighting against discrimination tend to look for everything that they can consider discriminatory, and we focus on words when we should be concerned about context.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:16 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Yes, because all people everywhere have promised to mentally substitute "men and women in a rainbow-colored coalition of togetherness" every time someone uses the word "man."
Yes, because English is a language entirely free of ambiguity. There aren't any words with more than one meaning. Certainly none with two contradictory meanings. People would never be able to deal with that.

Hyperbole is fun!
TaintedDeity wrote:'firefighter' which avoids the use of gender, uses alliteration AND conjures an image of somebody literally fighting fire.
Firefighter, yes, is much better. And police officer works instead of policeman (even if my brain prefers policemanofficer).
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:19 pm UTC

Actually, I believe "firefighter" has violent connotations, we should be using "firecontroller" or "firestopper."

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:20 pm UTC

Possibly this is a result of my having spent a good bit of time studying Latin and various Romance languages back in the day, but I tend to look at it as grammatical gender rather than literal gender. Certainly there are times where you have a perfectly good, gender-neutral alternative like firefighter, but there are times when there isn't really an elegant substitution. I'm not convinced that those cases are really worth stressing about.

That said, people who act like Basic Human Decency is some sort of a great, terrible evil annoy me. I mean, it basically boils down to "wouldn't it be great it people tried to be considerate of each other"? That's ... not a terrible thing.

DecemberSoul

Postby DecemberSoul » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:29 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:These days a sort of specifically anti-political correctness seems to be prevalent. Lord am I sick of people who think statements like 'get back in the kitchen' qualify as a joke. At least include a bit of wordplay or something.

You speak the truth!

Maybe it's historically been 'fireman' because they used to all be men, is that true? Firefighter is way cooler anyway.

grythyttan
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Postby grythyttan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:46 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:'firefighter' which avoids the use of gender, uses alliteration AND conjures an image of somebody literally fighting fire.
Firefighter, yes, is much better. And police officer works instead of policeman (even if my brain prefers policemanofficer).
Now I want it to be firemanfighter. And a fireman is, of course, a man made of fire just as a policeman is a man made from police and a woman is made from wo!
Joy of Cooking was far less of an achievement than Thyme Cube discovery, for I have Cubed the Spice, with 4 simultaneous flavor types in 1 plant of Earth.
Spoiler:

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:01 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:Actually, I believe "firefighter" has violent connotations, we should be using "firecontroller" or "firestopper."

FIrecontroller and firestopper sound fascist. We should just stop putting out fires.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:51 pm UTC

Actually, I changed my mind and like the term firefighter. Now when I think of the word, I get an image of 200 men in yellow helmets, jackets, and kilts holding up axes and yelling "IT CAN TAKE OUR BRUSH, BUT IT WILL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!"

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:19 am UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:That said, people who act like Basic Human Decency is some sort of a great, terrible evil annoy me. I mean, it basically boils down to "wouldn't it be great it people tried to be considerate of each other"? That's ... not a terrible thing.

While I agree with you for the most part, it does get ridiculous when you're stopped from doing the considerate thing for fear of causing offence. Or someone who was acting consideratly is stopped from doing so by a superior for fear of a review panel turning up and saying "Looking at it from completely out of contect, we declare this person to be a xenophobe and you should be disciplined for not disciplining them". Eg: a 14-year-old boy holds the door open for the teacher walking behind him, who is carrying a huge stack of books and hapens to be a woman, and is then told off by the headmaster for the heinous crime of implying that women are weaker than men and need a man to hold the door open for them.

Sorry, seven years on and I'm still quite pissed off about that detention he gave me. So's the teacher, I hear. He was a fucking idiot. Seriously, how could you possibly think, when you can clearly see the amount of stuff she's carrying, that it's her gender that made someone hold it open?
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:05 am UTC

doogly wrote:
NecklaceOfShadow wrote:Thanks a lot, you douche.

Possibly triggery:
Spoiler:
Are you familiar with his Rippy character? If triggery things are problematic for you it might be very wise indeed to stop reading.

I am familiar with it. It hasn't been a problem before. I don't mind — don't like, either, but it doesn't usually stop me from reading the webcomic — his posting edgy stuff. What I didn't like is that he seemed to have an edge to grind and drew this specifically t to throw up the middle finger at anyone who might be affected in any way by it.
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:27 am UTC

Yeah, I wouldn't have minded if he had left the joke as is. But he made me feel bad for not finding it funny. And dammit the bunny was cute anyways.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:48 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:Yeah, and that's ["man" being a substitute for "human"] sexist bullshit too.

Actually, it's not that that's sexist, it's the use of "man" to mean "male human" that's etymologically sexist, as described here: http://www.qwantz.com/index.php?comic=551
(I'm assuming that Ryan North wouldn't lie to us.)
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

scikidus

Postby scikidus » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:55 am UTC

Spoilered for ew:
Spoiler:
Went to bed fine, woke up with this terrible stomach bug, I have now discovered what it's like to lose water from every possible orifice within 24 hours >_<
Happy hollandaise!

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:57 am UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:Possibly this is a result of my having spent a good bit of time studying Latin and various Romance languages back in the day, but I tend to look at it as grammatical gender rather than literal gender.
And yet, the two aren't entirely separate in the minds of speakers of those languages.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:11 am UTC

S*P doesn't strike me as a particularly welcoming comic. I don't even know if it's funny.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Return to “General”