Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Eastwinn
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:36 am UTC
Location: Maryland

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Eastwinn » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:11 am UTC

I hate how our culture trivializes ADHD. It's fucking serious business, and it does exist.
http://aselliedraws.tumblr.com/ - surreal sketches and characters.

User avatar
suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?
Posts: 2575
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:01 am UTC
Location: da aina
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:25 am UTC

i actually feel that our society over dramatisizes ADHD and ADD thinking that many more kids have it than actually do.
ImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Torvaun » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:46 am UTC

Which is really how it happened. ADHD started getting used as an excuse for people who didn't actually have it, and that was used to undermine the reliability of the diagnosis and especially the reliability of the self-diagnosis. Same thing happened with Asperger's. A similar thing happened with welfare. I don't have any good numbers, but the vast majority of people on welfare deserve to be there. I'd guess well under 5% are gaming it for disproportionate rewards, but ask a number of people, and you're going to hear the words "welfare queen" a hell of a lot more than would be statistically representative.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

User avatar
Amarantha
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Amarantha » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:19 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:It's human communication and social interaction. It's a little script. We all know how it goes...
Speak for yerself, some of us have Aspergers etc.

(Heh, ironic timing considering the most recent couple of posts above).

Rakysh
Posts: 1276
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Rakysh » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:22 am UTC

Da, one of those terrifyingly common times when public perception and actual evidence are so far estranged from each other you think they must be mad. See also: the Tea Party, Conservapedia.

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:17 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:
Princess Marzipan wrote:It's human communication and social interaction. It's a little script. We all know how it goes...
Speak for yerself, some of us have Aspergers etc.

(Heh, ironic timing considering the most recent couple of posts above).
Whoops; fair point.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

User avatar
Zarq
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm UTC
Location: Third Rock from Earth's Yellow Sun

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Zarq » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:41 am UTC

suffer-cait wrote:i actually feel that our society over dramatisizes ADHD and ADD thinking that many more kids have it than actually do.


Isn't that what causes the trivialization of real AD(H)D patients?

*Yeah, I've got ADHD [Really has ADHD]
-Oh, my [insert person you know who says (s)he has ADHD, but actually hasn't] has that too. That's not that serious.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Xeio » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:15 pm UTC

Why are people often high and mighty about their "X is off limits" when it comes to jokes?

User avatar
Ginger
Posts: 1029
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:00 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Ginger » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:40 pm UTC

Because the jesters are high and mighty themselves in their own way. Condescension and sanctimoniousness breeds same.
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.


Azula to Long Feng wrote:Don't flatter yourself, you were never even a player.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8529
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Zohar » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:40 pm UTC

Because epsilon jokes are much better.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
Ginger
Posts: 1029
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:00 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Ginger » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:48 pm UTC

Because knock-knock.

"Who's there?"

I didn't think of an ending for this joke. Um... enjoy! *Dances halfheartedly a while before leaving.*
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.


Azula to Long Feng wrote:Don't flatter yourself, you were never even a player.

User avatar
Zarq
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm UTC
Location: Third Rock from Earth's Yellow Sun

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Zarq » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:46 pm UTC

Mini-rant: a pizza margherita is a pizza with cheese, tomato sauce and basil, everybody knows that. Then why does your deep forzen margherita have bell pepper on it?

And while I'm at it: deep-frozen-pizza-manufacturers, do you know the difference between spicy and sweet? Yes? Then why do all of your pizzas that are labeled "extra spicy" not taste spicy at all, but sweet because of the shitload of bell peppers you put on it?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

User avatar
Baldur
Posts: 1019
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:38 pm UTC
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Baldur » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:56 pm UTC

red-bell-pepper.jpg
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8529
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Zohar » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:58 pm UTC

Don't post that here!

There's a thread for that. :P
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
Van
Posts: 418
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:15 pm UTC
Location: 39.74, -105.12ish

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Van » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:57 pm UTC

Whoa. Deja vu.
Oregonaut wrote:You are a fucking idiot. (Insult.)
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:40 pm UTC

Why do we have to install the toilet paper dispensing device at a level that only an exceptionally short three year old can reach it? There is barely enough room in the bloody stall for me as it is, reaching down around my ankle to get the paper is not improving my ability to sanitize my crevasse.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4003
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:46 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:Don't post that here!

There's a thread for that. :P
Oh wow. Why did this thread stop?!
Ⓞⓞ◯

User avatar
Zarq
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm UTC
Location: Third Rock from Earth's Yellow Sun

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Zarq » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:49 pm UTC

There's a way to make it non-stopped ...
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4003
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:53 pm UTC

Yeah, but paint is aaall the way over there in the taskbar and I'd have to find a picture and - Now I see why the thread ended.
Ⓞⓞ◯

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:01 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Why do we have to install the toilet paper dispensing device at a level that only an exceptionally short three year old can reach it? There is barely enough room in the bloody stall for me as it is, reaching down around my ankle to get the paper is not improving my ability to sanitize my crevasse.

You just compared your ass to a glacier.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:03 pm UTC

That's because they're both rock solid, and chill as hell.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4003
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:06 pm UTC

Nice save.
Ⓞⓞ◯

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:10 pm UTC

I liked it. //Walks away, whistling tunelessly and not making eye contact.//
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:13 pm UTC

I was going to make a joke about 90% of the mass being under the surface, but then I realized that was icebergs not glaciers. Ah well.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
Baldur
Posts: 1019
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:38 pm UTC
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Baldur » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

Something about fantastic destructive force? Changing the landscape as we know it?
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:17 pm UTC

Eroding away due to global warming?
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
Baldur
Posts: 1019
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:38 pm UTC
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Baldur » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:18 pm UTC

Pushing so much debris ahead of it? Changing V-Shaped valleys to U-shaped ones over time?
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4003
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:24 pm UTC

If you lick it, you might get your tongue stuck to it.
Ⓞⓞ◯

User avatar
Kang
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Kang » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:35 pm UTC

The EGE wrote:Huh. 'Wei' is definitely used wrong in Firefly then. Only time I recall it used is the bar fight that opens Shindig.

There are multiple words to be transcribed as 'wei', which do not all mean the same.

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Ptolom » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:12 am UTC

Hackneyed rant number 27. Crappy wifi
Connection keeps cutting out. I don't know if it's the router, my laptop or some thing inbetween causing interference, but it's incredibly irritating.

User avatar
OBrien
Posts: 1478
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:05 pm UTC
Location: 1 Bimini Road, downtown Atlantis

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby OBrien » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:33 am UTC

Sorry, but what does that have to do with North-East Central London?
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

User avatar
Raeluna
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:28 am UTC
Location: Under Your Bed... ಠ_ಠ
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Raeluna » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:52 am UTC

I am going to get out my magical Umbrella of Hiding beforehand, because I get the feeling I'll need it.


I am female. I'm all for gender equality and what have you...however...

Dear uber-feminist friends, please stop going on and on about what I should and should not be advocating in my own life. Also about my preference to let my fiancee be the breadwinner. Also about the words I tend to use. Shush thine mouthholes.

*vanish under magic Umbrella*
thicknavyrain wrote:Marry me. Now.


Image

"So, why are you a fruit bat?"
"I dunno, healthier I guess."
"Well yeah, but 'I vant to suck your melons' just doesn't have the same ring to it."

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:07 am UTC

*steals umbrella*

I don't think you actually need that. If you and your fiancee prefer an arrangement where he makes money and you stay home or work part time or raise kids or whatever your plan is, that's between the two of you. You're only out of line if you start thinking that's how everyone else should prefer it and start to tell them so very annoyingly.

Part of gender equality includes the right to willingly conform to gender norms if you want to.

So uh, if you want to make us all some sandwiches, you can just do that. Y'know. If you want.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:57 am UTC

Getting sick is bullshit.

LISTEN BODY.
IF YOU PUKE AND SHIT EVERYTHING I CONSUME
WE ARE NOT GOING TO GET BETTER EVER
JUST LET ME EAT AND DRINK I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING

Fuck evolution, aaaargh

User avatar
GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:45 pm UTC
Location: South-East Snakeville

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby GraphiteGirl » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:57 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:So uh, if you want to make us all some sandwiches, you can just do that. Y'know. If you want.

Finally a make-me-a-sandwich joke with a little wit! :D
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

User avatar
Baldur
Posts: 1019
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:38 pm UTC
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Baldur » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:16 am UTC

This is just getting ridiculous. I asked you a month ago if you would do a reference for me, you said yes! Great, that's fantastic. You've had a month to write it, you've had two weeks to add it to my application. I have not heard from you at all in the past month, you have not added the reference to my application.

What the hell is going on? If the reference has not been added or you have not at least replied to my e-mails, I will be calling you up to find out what the hell is going on. I get it, it's the festive period, but at least let me know what the hell is going on! There are ten days to the deadline. I am getting just a little bit worried.
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:30 am UTC

It only got up to 37ºF today. The "heat wave" is rapidly waning. :(

It's supposed to get up to 36ºF tomorrow, but then after that, the forecasted temperatures drop off into the upper teens and upper twenties. The forecasted low on Thursday is -2ºF. :( :(
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
Plasma Man
Posts: 2035
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:27 am UTC
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Plasma Man » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:13 am UTC

What kind of blithering idiots are running the in-house restaurant here?! Every goddamn time I buy my breakfast in the morning and try to pay with a note, they moan about not having any change. Lots of people buy their breakfast there every day, so why the hell don't the dumbasses running it make sure they have a proper float available first thing, so they can make change for their customers?
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:21 am UTC

My chest makes a wet slapping sound at every heartbeat. Wtf.

Heady
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:21 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Heady » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:44 am UTC

Get thee to a doctor? ^


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests