Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TaintedDeity

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:46 pm UTC

Wow. That's awesome. I'm scared what I might accidentally do.
Ⓞⓞ◯

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:56 pm UTC

Its pretty much a folder containing all the changeable settings and stuff. Very nifty when you need to change something but don't know where to begin.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:02 pm UTC

/me saves that for future reference.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:38 pm UTC

Ugh, I'm really bored, but I'm too agitated to get up and do anything.
I'll just sit here twitching a while longer.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:23 pm UTC

Slight rant: Two small cavities.

On the plus side, the dentist said I seem to be cleaning my teeth well, but my highly acidic diet is wearing down my teeth anyway. So he prescribed me Colgate Prevident 5000 Plus toothpaste. I wonder if I'll be able to refill this prescription in the future if it indeed does help.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:24 am UTC

Whenever I've been to the dentist:

Dentist (ominously): "Come in, sit down. Open your mouth..."
*Spends 10 minutes poking around with his metal things and tiny mirrors*
Dentist (in very surprised tone): "It's all fine, actually!"

Literally the exact same words every time I've been to the dentist for the past 15 years. It makes me worry that he's not actually doing any checks or anything, since it never changes...

Chandani

Postby Chandani » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:44 am UTC

My family is fighting again.
Over food. :(
And now my mom is mocking my siser. Sigh.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:01 am UTC

Adacore wrote:Whenever I've been to the dentist:

Dentist (in very surprised tone): "It's all fine, actually!"

Literally the exact same words every time I've been to the dentist for the past 15 years. It makes me worry that he's not actually doing any checks or anything, since it never changes...
Well, the alternative is "Drill baby drill!", so I guess there's that.

Though I haven't been to a dentist in like 8 years, I should really do that, considering I have coverage for it, but... meh... dentists... :?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:23 am UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Have you tried using the godmode folder when you can't figure out where an option to change is? It was my favorite folder when I first got used to 7.

Spoiler:
rename a new folder GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

According to some page found on Google, this breaks in 64-bit Vista (possibly 64-bit Win7, too)... if you do it, it crashes explorer, and you need to delete the folder either through cmd or a Linux boot or something.

To get to it, you can type shell:::{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C} into the address bar of an Explorer window, or make a shortcut to "explorer shell:::{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}". Also, the official name for that window is "All Tasks", not "God Mode"... it doesn't let you do anything you can't already do in the Control Panel, it just has it all in one place.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:25 am UTC

I'm successfully using it on Win7 x64 Home Premium, must be just another reason Vista sucks?
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:18 am UTC

I like Windows more now.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:21 am UTC

Bloody tax bills! Will they never stop? Of course, if I got off my arse an paid them then I wouldn't now be facing a penalty bill as well. Permission to say, 'cock'?
Last edited by Jumble on Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:32 pm UTC

Great, have to spend my lunch break at work doing a school project because stupid Flash trial software won't run on my home computer and it's not one of the many unnecessary programs clogging up my work computer. Luckily, it only has to be simple and I prepared all the assets beforehand, so maybe it won't take long? Might even be able to actually get outside and/or eat? Probably not? This is a stupid, stupid course... who the hell types up an assignment and saves it as a jpeg... granted, it's not as bad as PDFs because I hate adobe and everything they stand for, but it's not like there were any special characters, it was maybe a paragraph total, who does that? More copy-and-pasting assignments from some other teacher and not letting us know from the beginning what they are because god fucking forbid we try to get some of it out of the way early because we're adults and we might want to control the pace of our crapload of schoolwork this semester?? I mean if you typed up the assignment again you might have to read through it and make sure it made sense. OH WAIT. THAT DOESN'T WORK BECAUSE THE MAIN PROJECT DOESN'T MAKE A GODDAMN BIT OF SENSE EITHER.

...This course displeases me. I wouldn't be taking it if I didn't want a valid reason to claim I know a little web design on my resume... which I should be working on, god damn... and sending places... ffff.

ETA: Well, it's crappy and I might've missed one of the requirements (it was vague) but I don't care, she's been easy on the grading so far and also it is, at least, a thing. Took a whole 50 minutes, and then I found that someone had done terrible things to 3/4 toilets in the women's restroom... >_> I DON'T CARE IT'S SUBMITTED AND DONE AND I'M FREE IN FOUR HOURS (to write essays). Also, fuck Adobe. You know, more than I usually think they ought to be.

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:31 pm UTC

Dr jayus - Commentor on a poston the blog boing boing wrote:Who could be fagged to hoax like this?

Who could be fagged.

fagged

I'm sorry, what?
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:48 pm UTC

Von Haus wrote:
Dr jayus - Commentor on a poston the blog boing boing wrote:Who could be fagged to hoax like this?

Who could be fagged.

fagged

I'm sorry, what?

Verb

to fag (third-person singular simple present fags, present participle fagging, simple past and past participle fagged)

1. (transitive, colloquial, used mainly in passive form) To make exhausted, tired out.
2. (intransitive, colloquial) To droop; to tire.
3. (UK, archaic, colloquial) For a younger student to act as a servant for senior students in UK public schools.

But I don't think he meant any of those.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:58 pm UTC

It'll be a variant of 'can't be arsed'.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:25 pm UTC

Oh fair enough, I knew he was saying it as in "can't be arsed". But as the only definitions of fag I was aware of where cigarette and homosexual I read it as a lot more dickish way of saying it.
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:28 pm UTC

What's fun is being asked if you want to bum a fag, and taking a few minutes to realise you're being offered a cigarette, and not being quizzed on your sex life.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:33 am UTC

Okay, pharmacy, doctor, communicate. It's not like I will not be needing my meds anytime soon. You said faxing in the refill was not a problem but the fact I am out of medication /again/ is proving otherwise.

Somehow I am not so twitchy this time though. Perhaps just getting used to it all...
Kinda blurry and fuzzy around the edges. And I have a class to teach, a job to do, and an exam to take in the next couple days... mur.
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:47 am UTC

Adacore wrote:Whenever I've been to the dentist:

Dentist (in very surprised tone): "Izawwlgood, actually!"

I live in your mouth.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:21 am UTC

Dammit, I REFUSE to buy your shitty cable for at least 50 dollars a month just so that I can watch the freaking academy awards.

This is ridiculous - I just wanna see the freaking awards, but noooo, all they show is all sorts of BS commentary and random behind the curtain other. I have no interest whatsoever in buying cable, it's useless, I get 1/2 spanish channels, 1/4 sports channels, 1/8 weather, and 1/8 kids shows. NO thanks.

RAAAWR put your damn television on the internet already!

/RANT
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:35 am UTC

Fuck, I knew I should've gotten my wisdom teeth out before I got a job, and not 4 weeks after. I'm halfway through the day, at home on my lunch break, and I just want to go cry and not go back to work. I just don't even really understand the absence policies, and the manager on duty today is impossible to talk to because she absolutely doesn't care about you or your stupid problems, and she makes this painfully clear. I can't work with or without my pain med, and we're understaffed, and I'm not even making much sense in this rant. I don't know what to do. My recently over-inflated sense of work ethic keeps me from just making the snap judgement to call in and not go back, but they don't seem like the people who I can to and explain the extreme extent to which I cannot function as a human being right now. Maybe if I hadn't already fucking missed a day, but I don't want to be "that guy" who gets hired and misses 2 days in his first 4 weeks. I mean, maybe that's not as big of a deal as I think it is? I feel like these people really judge me though, and I really need to keep this job.

Fuck fuck fuck. Why do I have to choose between being unable to think because of my pain medicine, or being unable to think due to the brain-splitting pain in my jaw?

Edit: Okay, fucking hell, I'm not even confident I can safely drive my car in this condition, so I'm calling in. I just, I dunno, I hope I can explain my situation to somebody instead of them just seeing a sheet of paper with some negative stats on it.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:14 am UTC

I am in one of those "fuck real life, I just want to do [fun stuff]" moods. Maybe reading A Softer World is a bad idea.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:29 pm UTC

Coupla things.

1) The antisemitic hypocritical shithead: (Taking everything you say at face value) No, that is not a joke. In what way is calling someone a Jew with the meaning that they are stingy, a 'joke'? What kind of fucked up definition of humour do you have? It doesn't matter that you say that you wouldn't feel harmed if I used 'Muslim' as an insult. It doesn't matter that we have no Jews in our class. Fucking stop.

2) Parent: When I say 'friend', I mean 'friend'. It is none of your business if there is sex involved in the friendship, or if the friendship is turning romantic. Please stop insinuating things until I feel obligated to correct you. Thank you.

3) Head: Stop. Breaking.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

garren101

Postby garren101 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:18 pm UTC

People who come up to me and tell me I look like Harry Potter. I have long-ish shaggy hair, and round glasses. I wouldn't mind this so much if it wasn't every single f***ing person I met who said it to me. This is even more problematic in that I prefer wearing my glasses over my contacts and if I want people to not call me Harry Potter I have to wear my contacts. There, rant over.
Arthur Dent: "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Ford Prefect: "You ask a glass of water."

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:20 am UTC

THIS:
TimelordSimone wrote:WINDOWS LIVE MESSENGER SUCKS

AGAIN.

(It's refusing to show custom emoticons. The box 'show custom emoticons' is ticked. IDEK.)
I mostly lurk. Hello.

reflex

Postby reflex » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:31 am UTC

Kewangji wrote:2) Parent: When I say 'friend', I mean 'friend'. It is none of your business if there is sex involved in the friendship, or if the friendship is turning romantic. Please stop insinuating things until I feel obligated to correct you. Thank you.

that one. So much that one.
Magnanimous wrote:It's more like a big blob of wibbley wobbley... timey wimey... stuff.

Oregonaut wrote:Sun eating thing. It eats sun. Its green by eating sun.

Oregonaut wrote:YOU! With the bear...

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:34 am UTC

reflex wrote:
Kewangji wrote:2) Parent: When I say 'friend', I mean 'friend'. It is none of your business if there is sex involved in the friendship, or if the friendship is turning romantic. Please stop insinuating things until I feel obligated to correct you. Thank you.

I'm so thankful my parents never did this. I mean, I'm sure they knew ("Where am I off to at 10pm? ...friend's house.") but they never said anything.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

reflex

Postby reflex » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:39 am UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:
reflex wrote:

I'm so thankful my parents never did this. I mean, I'm sure they knew ("Where am I off to at 10pm? ...friend's house.") but they never said anything.

My parents have decided to simply assume I have a girlfriend. Every time we have a party of some sort, "do you want to bring your girlfriend?", any time I go out with a group of people, "will your girlfriend be there?", at random times, "what's her name?", "when can we meet her", "what's she like", so on and so forth. I don't even think I've ever made mention of this girlfriend, but they see me around a lot of girls and simply jump to conclusions. Very annoying. Considering they have no idea of the situation I am in in relation to girlfriends and the sort.
Magnanimous wrote:It's more like a big blob of wibbley wobbley... timey wimey... stuff.

Oregonaut wrote:Sun eating thing. It eats sun. Its green by eating sun.

Oregonaut wrote:YOU! With the bear...

Chuff
CHOO CHOO I'M A TRAIN

Postby Chuff » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:09 am UTC

I'm with you guys. It's never sex, but my mom thinks I have a girlfriend because I hugged my friend when she was sad today. What the heck?
The Great Hippo wrote:The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.
addams wrote:How human of him. "If, they can do it, then, I can do it." Humans. Pfft. Poor us.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:14 am UTC

Chuff wrote:I'm with you guys. It's never sex, but my mom thinks I have a girlfriend because I hugged my friend when she was sad today. What the heck?

I had a friend (had :() that I saw once a month, we were going to vegas just because neither of us had been in a while and my mom asked if we were dating; my friend thought it was funny, and she called my mom and told her she was pregnant with my child. Now, her parents knew my parents, which is how we met. The joke was that she was pregnant with the spawn of satan (because I was the father). Her dad never heard the story, so he was confused as hell when she said she was pregnant with my child at dinner one night.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:05 am UTC

Why is it that when I have to be up late for work, I can't keep my eyes open past 11, but if I have to be up early then I can't fall asleep before 2AM? Sometimes, brain, I hate you.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:24 am UTC

Crap. I'm writing an email to my uncle, and I can't remember if my cousin's name is spelled Aiden or Aidan.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:49 am UTC

Type sloppily in the rest of your email, then claim it was a typo if you got it wrong.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:01 am UTC

... You are a genius.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:23 pm UTC

I always forget the exact spelling of names. Not just irl, also on forums. It's kind of bizarre, I always have to look it up.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:16 pm UTC

This is day 9 of having the flu. The symptoms are mostly gone, but I still have a hacking cough and nasal issues. I'm almost at the point I want to go to a doctor. This is getting ridiculous. The problem is what's the doc going to say? "Hooray, you have the flu!" It's not like they can give me something for a virus.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:21 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:
Chuff wrote:I'm with you guys. It's never sex, but my mom thinks I have a girlfriend because I hugged my friend when she was sad today. What the heck?

I had a friend (had :() that I saw once a month, we were going to vegas just because neither of us had been in a while and my mom asked if we were dating; my friend thought it was funny, and she called my mom and told her she was pregnant with my child. Now, her parents knew my parents, which is how we met. The joke was that she was pregnant with the spawn of satan (because I was the father). Her dad never heard the story, so he was confused as hell when she said she was pregnant with my child at dinner one night.

I was planning to get a taxi back from a party with a friend, (Who shares my mum's name) once, because we live near each other. The taxi company refused to pick us up for some reason, so I asked mum to pick us up. As soon as my friend was out of the car and in her house my mum says "You can't marry her, it would be incestuous."
Weeks wrote:

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:54 pm UTC

Okay, it is really not that hard to wash up. I mean seriously, we have one blender, you made soup yesterday, in my large pan. I do not appreciate having to wash dried up soup off the pan and the blender just so I can make some of my own soup today, and then have to wash up a bowl as well because all the ones large enough to make a good portion of soup have been sitting on the side dirty for the last week. Oh and the chopping board because none of them were clean either, I mean seriously, none of the stuff left there is mine, none, so if I can wash up you can too! Housemates, can't live with them - but have to.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

I feel your pain about housemates using your kitchen things and not cleaning them in a timely fashion. Its gotten to the point where we hide our baking dish so that they cannot readily find it. The baking dish is a privilege, not a right.

Return to “General”