Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Aightynine

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Aightynine » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:02 am UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:
Hofstader'sLaw wrote:My dad tried to cook instant ramen in the microwave before. He forgot to add water and didn't notice until the microwave was leaking ribbons of smoke. The charred noodles smelled horrible. He did it again a week later.

FUN STORY: one of my co-workers at my old job once read the oven instructions instead of the microwave instructions. I don't know what he was cooking, but the microwave ended up on fire.

If you want another microwave disaster story: my brother did something similar to Hofstader'sLaw's dad, except with mac 'n' cheese instead of ramen. Yeah...we had to get a new microwave. ^-^;

Anyway, ranting...why do I allow myself to procrastinate, even when the task I must perform isn't particularly difficult? It would've been good to know a lot earlier that my printer was out of ink, therefore preventing me from printing out an application I need to fill out. Grr. Of course, if I were working this summer I might be less inclined to procrastinate, because it might get rid of some of the summer laziness factor. But that would get fixed if the people who claim they're willing to give me a job would actually, y'know, train me and call me in to work for them and stuff. >:(
This is my Tumblr, for the curious and/or bored. It mostly consists of random things/ideas I find interesting* and pictures of my friend Catherine.

*This might include but is not limited to: science, my research experiences, gender, feminism.

Hofstadter'sLaw

Postby Hofstadter'sLaw » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:17 am UTC

Aightynine wrote:
TimelordSimone wrote:FUN STORY: one of my co-workers at my old job once read the oven instructions instead of the microwave instructions. I don't know what he was cooking, but the microwave ended up on fire.

If you want another microwave disaster story: my brother did something similar to Hofstader'sLaw's dad, except with mac 'n' cheese instead of ramen. Yeah...we had to get a new microwave. ^-^;

It's sad (but funny) that there's so many microwave accidents. x_X

Aightynin wrote:It would've been good to know a lot earlier that my printer was out of ink, therefore preventing me from printing out an application I need to fill out.

I had 35 pages of school stuff to print recently. The printer ran out of ink on THE LAST THREE SENTENCES. >_< Usually it starts flashing warnings and beeping at least a month before it runs out of ink. It decided not to give me that courtesy this time.

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:39 am UTC

DAMMIT.

I was writing this post, right? And it was pretty good, right? And then I hit this awkward combination on my keyboard that I still don't even know exactly which combination of keys it really was, right? And then it highlighted my post while I was typing, right? And then I had a single letter in place of my post. Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage.

Who actually uses save draft, right? >.>
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:46 am UTC

Ctrl+Z might have saved you.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:48 am UTC

Eseell wrote:Ctrl+Z might have saved you.

It... it might have. NEW RANT: I am an idiot I am an idiot I am an idiot BUT THE MORE YOU KNOW, RIGHT?

I didn't know you could do that, thanks.
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:50 am UTC

Also if you accidentally navigate away most browsers will save what was in the text field if you go back.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:54 am UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Also if you accidentally navigate away most browsers will save what was in the text field if you go back.

I knew that one, but I didn't navigate away... I typed over highlighted text. gg.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:02 am UTC

... Ctrl+A? That selects all of the text, but I can't think of any other hotkeys that would. (Except maybe Shift+Home, if it was only one line.)

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:05 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:... Ctrl+A? That selects all of the text, but I can't think of any other hotkeys that would. (Except maybe Shift+Home, if it was only one line.)

You can also cause yourself some havoc with shift+page up or page down, depending on where your cursor is.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Vohu Manah
athlete's nipple.

Postby Vohu Manah » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:35 am UTC

Dental hygienists are evil. I don't really care how much you love your husbands, especially when you have my jaw pried open and filled with instruments and a syringe. Talking about how little sleep you got last night doesn't help much either.
Isaac Hill wrote:If this tetonic plate's rockin' such that it registers no less than 6.1 on the Richter scale, don't come a knockin'.

Aightynine

Postby Aightynine » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:04 am UTC

Hofstader'sLaw wrote:
Aightynin wrote:It would've been good to know a lot earlier that my printer was out of ink, therefore preventing me from printing out an application I need to fill out.

I had 35 pages of school stuff to print recently. The printer ran out of ink on THE LAST THREE SENTENCES. >_< Usually it starts flashing warnings and beeping at least a month before it runs out of ink. It decided not to give me that courtesy this time.

Ouch. That sounds annoying...your printer is a jerk. :P

Printing stuff makes me think of another thing that annoys me: I hate it when I'm writing something, e.g. an essay, and the last page only has one line on it. It's such a waste of paper, for one thing, and also kind of misleading for another thing. I may be holding six pieces of paper, but there aren't really six pieces-of-paper's worth of writing! </meaningless pet peeve>
This is my Tumblr, for the curious and/or bored. It mostly consists of random things/ideas I find interesting* and pictures of my friend Catherine.

*This might include but is not limited to: science, my research experiences, gender, feminism.

Hofstadter'sLaw

Postby Hofstadter'sLaw » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:12 am UTC

Vohu Manah wrote:Dental hygienists are evil. I don't really care how much you love your husbands, especially when you have my jaw pried open and filled with instruments and a syringe. Talking about how little sleep you got last night doesn't help much either.

My dentist talks to me (and asks me questions) while doing his work too. >_>

I also hate how hair stylists feel a need to hold a conversation with me while standinig behind me, while my head is bowed down, while they're snapping sharp scissors around and making comments to other hair stylists. I hear they're taught to keep conversations going in whatever training they recieve. I can't fathom why someone thought that was a good idea. (I can see chatting with other hair stylists, but it seems so awkward for the person getting their hair cut.)

Aightynin wrote:Printing stuff makes me think of another thing that annoys me: I hate it when I'm writing something, e.g. an essay, and the last page only has one line on it. It's such a waste of paper, for one thing, and also kind of misleading for another thing. I may be holding six pieces of paper, but there aren't really six pieces-of-paper's worth of writing! </meaningless pet peeve>

Lone lines bug the hell out of me too. I always just either adjust the font or margins slightly, or go back and rewrite any paragraphs that I can to remove "widows" (copyeditor term for when the last line of a paragraph contains only one word).

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:20 am UTC

Hofstader'sLaw wrote:I also hate how hair stylists feel a need to hold a conversation with me while standinig behind me, while my head is bowed down, while they're snapping sharp scissors around and making comments to other hair stylists. I hear they're taught to keep conversations going in whatever training they recieve. I can't fathom why someone thought that was a good idea. (I can see chatting with other hair stylists, but it seems so awkward for the person getting their hair cut.)

Would you rather sit there in reverant silence?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:26 am UTC

I would.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Thirty-one

Postby Thirty-one » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:31 am UTC

As would I. I generally have little desire to small talk with strangers who I know I won't meet again until the next time they spend 5-10 minutes cutting my hair.
Currently I'm solving it by just keeping it very short and doing it myself.
Annoyed, getting worked up or bored by the post above? Help is here.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:31 am UTC

I wouldn't. Human interaction is so rare as it is. *forever_alone.jpg*

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:33 am UTC

I would feel insanely awkward sat in silence getting my hair cut.
I mean, I stumble awkwardly through the small talk anyway, but it's marginally less awkward than I imagine silence would be.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:00 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I wouldn't. Human interaction is so rare as it is. *forever_alone.jpg*

Funny, I'm in the reverse stance.
I cut my hair at home. No noticeable difference, and less of that annoying interaction.

garren101

Postby garren101 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:47 pm UTC

I don't have to worry about that fortunately. My aunt does all my haircuts for me so, all the small talk I get at the hairdresser is just talk between family members.
Arthur Dent: "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Ford Prefect: "You ask a glass of water."

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:50 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:I wouldn't. Human interaction is so rare as it is. *forever_alone.jpg*

Funny, I'm in the reverse stance.
I cut my hair at home. No noticeable difference, and less of that annoying interaction.

Probably makes the small talk more interesting.

Edit:

Rant: Went from a potential trifecta to third place in two days. I wouldn't be as disappointed if there wasn't such a clear drop off from second to third place.

Edit #2:

Rant - think my car is fucked up. It was very hot here Monday, and some of the pavement buckled on the interstate. I was driving home at 11:30, and didn't see a spot where it had buckled. I hit it going maybe 60 mph. Now my car starts shaking if I get over 60-65, and the steering wheel has an obvious vibration.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

M1k3_Nix

Postby M1k3_Nix » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:35 pm UTC

@ emceng;
sounds like you either knocked the tracking out, or one or more of the wheel balances off. Both relatively cheap to fix
SlyReaper wrote:You shouldn't poke fun at a German's sense of humour like that. A German joke is no laughing matter.

"Simply because you can breathe, doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live"

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:41 pm UTC

Vohu Manah wrote:Dental hygienists are evil. I don't really care how much you love your husbands, especially when you have my jaw pried open and filled with instruments and a syringe. Talking about how little sleep you got last night doesn't help much either.

I don't mind when they talk to me, I just dislike when they ask questions that can't be answered with yes or no sounds. Its very difficult to reply beyond that with a hand in my mouth scraping at my teeth. <.<

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

I avoid that particular small talk by not getting mine cut. It's too awesome to amputate, really
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:02 pm UTC

M1k3_Nix wrote:@ emceng;
sounds like you either knocked the tracking out, or one or more of the wheel balances off. Both relatively cheap to fix

Good to know, I'll have to check it out.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

grythyttan
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Postby grythyttan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Gah! I live in an apppartment complex, and whever is living right below me is apparently an aspiring drummer. This wouldn't be so bad if whoever it is knew ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT RHYTHM! I mean really! it sounds like they gave a drum set to a goddamn four year old and told him to go nuts.

FUCK.
Last edited by grythyttan on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Joy of Cooking was far less of an achievement than Thyme Cube discovery, for I have Cubed the Spice, with 4 simultaneous flavor types in 1 plant of Earth.
Spoiler:

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:01 pm UTC

To be fair, I don't know much about RYTHM either.

Apparently it's some charity thing?
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:12 pm UTC

I've had a couple late days at work. After one of these late days, my office-mate's laptop mysteriously had a nasty nick in the screen.

"Hey Rick, did you take it upon yourself to destroy my computer last night?" No...

Nothing was said of it after that really, though I was more than a little bit curious how it happened. This morning when I get into work, my office-mate's chair is broken for no apparent reason, having been fine when he left last night.

I worked until 9pm last night. He left at 5.

I want to know who the fuck is doing this.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Hofstadter'sLaw

Postby Hofstadter'sLaw » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:17 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Hofstader'sLaw wrote:I also hate how hair stylists feel a need to hold a conversation with me while standinig behind me, while my head is bowed down, while they're snapping sharp scissors around and making comments to other hair stylists. I hear they're taught to keep conversations going in whatever training they recieve. I can't fathom why someone thought that was a good idea. (I can see chatting with other hair stylists, but it seems so awkward for the person getting their hair cut.)

Would you rather sit there in reverant silence?

Yes! :D

I'm shy and quiet, so I'm not particularly big on talking to people I don't know well. The fact that I'm facing away from them, may have my face tilted down and may have hair draped over my face makes speaking to them extra awkward. Music from the overhead speakers, other hair stylists' blow dryers, other conversations occuring next to us and facing away from the hair stylist also causes problems with them being able to hear me, so I have to strain to talk loudly and repeat myself a lot while I'm answering their questions.

I'm paying to get my haircut, not to be forced to socialize. =/ If I wanted to talk, I'd ask them questions or talk without being prompted.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:03 pm UTC

Would rather remain silent too. Speculates that it would become really dull for some people though, after a while. Spends the entire day cutting a mannequin’s hair if no one speaks. Can only depend on other coworkers for conversation for a limited amount of time before it devolves into a discussion about the speck of dirt in the corner that someone dragged in. Leaves the stylist/dentist/whatever to invent entertainment for themselves, like a speed game. May cut too many corners, like an ear.

Seems healthy for a dentist type to get some conversation too. Removes some of the self-loathing when people are willing to speak to you. Dreads visiting to the dentist. Knows that I do. Could you tolerate causing pain and being resented by people for a living? Could fabricate all sorts of judgments if the other person just stares at you and winces occasion. Compound that over just one year. Weighs heavily on you.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:12 pm UTC

I like small talk with strangers, whether it's at the barber, with the checkout person waiting for my food, whatever. I find it nice.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Hofstadter'sLaw

Postby Hofstadter'sLaw » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:34 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Would rather remain silent too. Speculates that it would become really dull for some people though, after a while. Spends the entire day cutting a mannequin’s hair if no one speaks. Can only depend on other coworkers for conversation for a limited amount of time before it devolves into a discussion about the speck of dirt in the corner that someone dragged in. Leaves the stylist/dentist/whatever to invent entertainment for themselves, like a speed game. May cut too many corners, like an ear.

Ah, I hadn't thought of how it might be boring for them if they were only talking to their co-workers all day. =/ I'm boring and like weird things though, so I don't provide much entertainment in small-talk-type conversations. I suppose it's good that most of the customers probably are more social/talkative.

One of my friends goes to a barber where when a female comes in all the conversations die (or so he claims). Maybe I should just go there, haha. All I do is get my hair trimmed, so it's not like I need someone with crazy skills to do it.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:49 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:I like small talk with strangers, whether it's at the barber, with the checkout person waiting for my food, whatever. I find it nice.

It's funny, when I worked retail I was completely comfortable idly chatting with the customers. When I am a customer, I am insanely awkward talking to the staff.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

M1k3_Nix

Postby M1k3_Nix » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:59 pm UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:I like small talk with strangers, whether it's at the barber, with the checkout person waiting for my food, whatever. I find it nice.

It's funny, when I worked retail I was completely comfortable idly chatting with the customers. When I am a customer, I am insanely awkward talking to the staff.

know the feeling, when people talk to me at work, i'm fine with it.
but if i go into a shop...well, awkward silence here we come.....
SlyReaper wrote:You shouldn't poke fun at a German's sense of humour like that. A German joke is no laughing matter.

"Simply because you can breathe, doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live"

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:39 pm UTC

why am I so gosh darn hungry all the time???
I had a huge bowl of cereal for breakfast, 2 large homemade cheeseburgers, ramen, and 2 cookies for lunch, and I'm still hungry...

I hate my metabolism sometimes...eat a ton of food, don't gain weight. eat half of my normal food level, gain 5 pounds...
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:21 pm UTC

existential_squirrrel wrote:I hate my metabolism sometimes...eat a ton of food, don't gain weight. eat half of my normal food level, gain 5 pounds...

There's a reason for that. You try starving your body, your body is going to react by lowering your metabolism and storing energy in the form of fat. Eat your normal amount, and your body will just carry on burning it off, happy as larry. It's like feeding oxygen to a fire; it'll burn twice as brightly for half as long. That's why starvation diets are considered somewhat suboptimal.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:26 pm UTC

My Mother needs to learn some fucking boundaries. And that repeatedly trying to cut my hair when I've asked her not to is fucking crossing them.
I'm more upset about this than I realised at the time.

M1k3_Nix

Postby M1k3_Nix » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:51 pm UTC

Fuck you, retainers fuck you.

That is all

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:25 pm UTC

It's so nice finding out when someone screws up. Especially nice when I will have to call a customer and tell them about it. It wasn't my fault, but it's my responsibility. Fuck fuck fuck. I don't get paid enough for these headaches.

M.C.

Postby M.C. » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:55 am UTC

I have bitten myself eating three times now in the last five minutes. It's like my lips don't want my teeth to be together. :evil:
Nobody likes Milhouse!

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:59 am UTC

a_fuzzyduck wrote:I avoid that particular small talk by not getting mine cut. It's too awesome to amputate, really

I confirm this.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Return to “General”