Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5941
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Angua » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:10 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:Shit, shit, shit. I've got a paper due tomorrow (note that I am at work from 7:30-4:00 and pretty much unable to work on said paper, although I'm going to try) and it needs to be 3 pages longer than I thought it needed to be - also, it's supposed to be 1.5 line spacing, not double!

Shit, shit, shit. I've got enough material for a 5 page paper, I'm not sure I do for an 8 page one. I've cranked out 4-5 page papers in 2 hours before, and was planning on doing that tonight, no problem. 8 just seems like so much more and I'm really not sure I've got enough info for that. I figure I might get away with 7, but shit!

Anyone want to write a paper on recent research of the exergy analysis of a binary cycle geothermal power plant? Yeah. Me neither.

Hopefully I can finish the outline at work and manage to write the paper in the 6 hours after work I have. If I expand the introductory section, I should be able to take up 1-2 pages just with that. Oh, I hope I can do this. SHIT!

DIAGRAMS

LOTS AND LOTS OF LARGE DIAGRAMS (or graphs)

They are your friends....
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
KestrelLowing
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:57 pm UTC
Location: Michigan

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby KestrelLowing » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:19 pm UTC

Angua wrote:DIAGRAMS

LOTS AND LOTS OF LARGE DIAGRAMS (or graphs)

They are your friends....


Sadly, I have to submit the paper with figures and without. But yes, that was definitely my initial thought!

User avatar
PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature
Posts: 4576
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:37 pm UTC
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:28 pm UTC

I've never understood mandating page counts and font sizes and margins and spacing and whatnot. Not one of my professors in all of college EVER did that. They would give a page range ("15-20 pages," or "3-5 pages" or "8-12 pages") sometimes, but every single one of them just said "Take as many pages as it takes to say what you need to say. Don't be overly wordy to stretch the paper out longer, but do the research and work that you need to do to make your point." If it was only a 3 page paper, but it was awesome, they knew, if it was 20 pages of lamesauce, they also knew. That seems like a much better approach to me.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

User avatar
KestrelLowing
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:57 pm UTC
Location: Michigan

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby KestrelLowing » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:I've never understood mandating page counts and font sizes and margins and spacing and whatnot. Not one of my professors in all of college EVER did that. They would give a page range ("15-20 pages," or "3-5 pages" or "8-12 pages") sometimes, but every single one of them just said "Take as many pages as it takes to say what you need to say. Don't be overly wordy to stretch the paper out longer, but do the research and work that you need to do to make your point." If it was only a 3 page paper, but it was awesome, they knew, if it was 20 pages of lamesauce, they also knew. That seems like a much better approach to me.


This paper is a bit odd as it's basically a mini literature review on a topic - there are no new thoughts in the majority of the paper - just one section where I have to say what I would research in the area. (ooh, I could draw that out too - maybe even get some math in there for that...) So, in this case, the length of the paper really corresponds to how much information he wants and how many articles I should go through. He wants at least 8 pages of information. (also, he's evidently had problems in the past with people messing with the format to make it longer so that's why he specifies. I'll probably do little things like using Arial instead of Times and maybe going to 1.25" margins instead of 1". Hopefully it won't be too noticeable)

Sadly, I think I may need more than I have, but I can't find any more actually talking about the subject! (5 articles cited minimum - had 5 that directly deal with the exergy analysis and a couple others that deal with binary cycle plants in general) I think I'll just have to go more in depth than I was planning as I've read about the equivalent of 20 pages of material. Dang. This means I pretty much have to reread all the articles.

User avatar
Kewangji
Has Been Touched
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:20 pm UTC
Location: Lost in Translation
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Kewangji » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

Make your punctuation larger-fonted than your text.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Steax » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:11 pm UTC

Quick question pre-rant: how's the rule on hazing in college, everywhere else in the world?

My SO's preparing to, uh, provide orientation on the next batch of students. It horrifies me how they practice shouting at them, forcing them to do ridiculous things (like memorizing a bunch of useless information), and doing physical punishment (just running, push-ups and the sort, but still). These people are signing up to be dentists. Activities start near dawn and end at night. Soft skills and solidarity my ass. There are better ways to prepare students to learn something than having them run around the whole campus while being shouted at.

____

@Kestrel: My favorite method has been to break up more things into new paragraphs; each paragraph earns a lot of space. If asked why, explain how that particular point is crucial, so you gave it a whole paragraph. Also, lists. And recapping stuff.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
Cathy
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:31 am UTC
Location: TX, USA

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Cathy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:21 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Quick question pre-rant: how's the rule on hazing in college, everywhere else in the world?

My SO's preparing to, uh, provide orientation on the next batch of students. It horrifies me how they practice shouting at them, forcing them to do ridiculous things (like memorizing a bunch of useless information), and doing physical punishment (just running, push-ups and the sort, but still). These people are signing up to be dentists. Activities start near dawn and end at night. Soft skills and solidarity my ass. There are better ways to prepare students to learn something than having them run around the whole campus while being shouted at.


I never encountered any of this, though two different sororities have been dis-allowed to have chapters at my school because they did some really disgusting things like making girls sleep with certain guys (or else) and making them lose weight (or else) and some huge amount of verbal abuse. Frankly I think it's an absolutely disgusting "tradition" that should be 100% banned and punished.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

User avatar
D.B.
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:08 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby D.B. » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:38 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:I've never understood mandating page counts and font sizes and margins and spacing and whatnot. Not one of my professors in all of college EVER did that. They would give a page range ("15-20 pages," or "3-5 pages" or "8-12 pages") sometimes, but every single one of them just said "Take as many pages as it takes to say what you need to say. Don't be overly wordy to stretch the paper out longer, but do the research and work that you need to do to make your point." If it was only a 3 page paper, but it was awesome, they knew, if it was 20 pages of lamesauce, they also knew. That seems like a much better approach to me.


A lot of engineering journals mandate page count and font sizes to a very precise degree. Here's a copy of the ICML submission guide for 2010. The section on paper layout is 2-3 pages long, depending on how you count it. It uses the words 'inches' (to specify the size of whitespace) 'point' (to specify a line thickness or font size) 18 times each. Page limit is non-negotiable at 8. You stick to these guidelines, or else you don't publish:
Any submission that exceeds this page limit or that diverges significantly from the format specified herein will be rejected without review.


So it's not just professors being pedants because they can and feel evil. In certain engineering fields (I don't know if you are an engineer, but I know Kestrel is) sticking to a very rigid format is a skill you need to get things done.

casoid
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:36 am UTC
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby casoid » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:54 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Quick question pre-rant: how's the rule on hazing in college, everywhere else in the world?

My SO's preparing to, uh, provide orientation on the next batch of students. It horrifies me how they practice shouting at them, forcing them to do ridiculous things (like memorizing a bunch of useless information), and doing physical punishment (just running, push-ups and the sort, but still). These people are signing up to be dentists. Activities start near dawn and end at night. Soft skills and solidarity my ass. There are better ways to prepare students to learn something than having them run around the whole campus while being shouted at.


I find that sort of behaviour utterly astonishing. My first week of university involved 6 days of drinking and partying, organised and programmed by the older students. No hazing activity, but very much a "Welcome to the most enjoyable few years of your life! By the way, we hope you have a secondary liver on standby." It's amazing that anyone could try and model student life on armed forces initial training.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5941
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Angua » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:01 pm UTC

MY mother said when she went to UNB they did that sort of hazing, 'for team building'. It sounded horrible, and she hated it (she, like me, is a bit of an introvert). At my college in Oxford, they just have stuff on in the evenings, one alcohol event, one 'alternative' event (I'm so glad that college mandates alternative events for those of us who don't like drinking) - the alcohol ones are mainly going out clubbing, the alternative are things like, icecream, ice skating, bowling, ghost tour, etc.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

casoid
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:36 am UTC
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby casoid » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:11 pm UTC

Anyone who thinks 'team building' involves screaming and humiliation clearly has no leadership skills whatsoever.

Now that you mention it though, I kind of want to do a ghost tour drunk. I imagine haunted buildings would be far more realistic after nine or ten pints.

User avatar
Viae
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm UTC
Location: Albion

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Viae » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:13 pm UTC

You could argue screaming and humiliation is something to bond over, no?
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Also, I think your title should be "colossus", and I don't care if nobody agrees.

User avatar
Kewangji
Has Been Touched
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:20 pm UTC
Location: Lost in Translation
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Kewangji » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:15 pm UTC

Pretty sure hazing would be illegal here (Sweden).
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:16 pm UTC

More likely, it's a reason to hate each other whenever one of you pisses off the instructor.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

casoid
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:36 am UTC
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby casoid » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:18 pm UTC

Viae wrote:You could argue screaming and humiliation is something to bond over, no?

True, but it's a far less effective means of creating a bond. At the end of the day, you want people to bond as an effective team and enjoy working and living together, not be united by a common dislike and/or fear of your ranting and raving.

User avatar
Viae
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm UTC
Location: Albion

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Viae » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:19 pm UTC

I'd say a common traumatic experience followed by nice stuff works fairly well, from being in several rugby teams and stuff.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Also, I think your title should be "colossus", and I don't care if nobody agrees.

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:21 pm UTC

I've heard of hazing to get into sororities and fraternities, but never for the general student population. Mild hazing has it's place in terms of community building and experience sharing, but I stress the "mild" part.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
KestrelLowing
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:57 pm UTC
Location: Michigan

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby KestrelLowing » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:28 pm UTC

Our college recently got very much into the anti-hazing deal. A little still goes on (freshman have to do a bit more work for fraternity events, etc.) but I've never heard of any real hazing.

Our band used to have something called the Rookie Games. It was a competition between the first years (rookies) of the trombone and the trumpet section (we're at perpetual odds). It's usually the last thing in the tournament between the two sections. It's just a bunch of fun stupid games like a scavenger hunt, 3 legged races, leapfrog the 'ketchup stomp' (stomp on a package of ketchup, whoever gets it to go the furthest wins) and other harmless games like that during a football game behind the band bleachers. But, because the school decided to crack down on hazing, we can't call them the rookie games anymore, and at least one upperclassman has to compete. It's not a big deal, but I always thought that was kind of stupid.

But that sounds ridiculous and if I had to choose between the two I'd choose the "Games formerly known as Rookie"

User avatar
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself
Posts: 5538
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:31 am UTC
Location: Lexington, MA
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby doogly » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:01 pm UTC

Yeah, Dartmouth last had campus wide hazing long before my time. I'm not certain if it was around WWII or coeducation (72) that it finally ended. But it still lives on in many of the fraternities and sororities. Not every one though, and everyone is well aware of what they are signing up for if they join one of the ones that do haze. So it doesn't bother me that it exists, i just think it rather odd of people to elect those houses. I suppose my house was really nerdy. Maybe that appeals to not everyone? Different spaces for different folks.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

User avatar
xX17GHDUDE17Xx
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:44 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby xX17GHDUDE17Xx » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:36 pm UTC

Changed my profile pic for the "Rate the Avatar Above You" thread, just in time for people to stop posting :evil:
"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" -Ghandi

Wrong. All that does is eliminate humanity's depth perception.

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:21 pm UTC

I'm anti-hazing. Ribbing the newbies or assigning them duties, that's fine, but it seems to me that bona-fide "hazing" translates in people's heads to "torture." People drinking themselves into alcohol poisoning because of hazing, having physical humiliations visited on them that actually cause bodily damage. That's not okay.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm UTC

I think something like our fora-hazing is ideal. You should only actively traumatize/etc people if they're assholes.

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:35 pm UTC

Meh. The consensus on who's an asshole or not isn't always clear or warranted.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Adacore » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:57 pm UTC

D.B. wrote:A lot of engineering journals mandate page count and font sizes to a very precise degree. Here's a copy of the ICML submission guide for 2010. The section on paper layout is 2-3 pages long, depending on how you count it. It uses the words 'inches' (to specify the size of whitespace) 'point' (to specify a line thickness or font size) 18 times each. Page limit is non-negotiable at 8. You stick to these guidelines, or else you don't publish:

Yes, but that's all fine. What I (and, I think, the others) object to is the idea of a minimum page count. I know when I was in school (not so much in university), I would always write 2-3 pages for essays where most other students wrote 5-6 pages. What grade I got for those essays depended entirely on which teacher was marking them - some teachers normally gave me A's because they thought the content was good and my writing was concise, while others refused to give me anything above a C because they didn't think I'd written enough.

I can kind of see the point of a minimum page limit for literature reviews, but I don't think I've ever written as much as even the guideline minimum page limit for any paper that wasn't specifically designed to force us to write concisely.

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:08 am UTC

Some journals have a minimum page count too. I submitted a paper to AIIDE once and one of the reasons given for rejection was basically "I liked the content, but why only 5 pages?"
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Adacore » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:59 am UTC

Longhaul flight pricing is ridiculous. It's cheaper to fly to Seattle via San Francisco than it is to fly direct to San Francisco. You get a flight to San Francisco either way, but the Seattle option has an entire extra flight which they're paying for you to go on.

Similarly, it's cheaper to fly from Seoul to Doha via Dubai than it is to fly from Seoul to Dubai direct; but it's also cheaper to fly from Seoul to Dubai via Doha than it is to fly from Seoul to Doha direct. How does that make any sense?!

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:50 am UTC

Because direct flights are more desirable. Pricing isn't all about scarcity or difficulty of labor.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
nehpest
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:25 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby nehpest » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:52 am UTC

Couldn't you just buy the flight with your intended destination as the layover, and just leave the airport? I've never seen security on the way out of the secure zone, just the way in.

Edit to rant: the band Blush has attempted to ruin my So You Think You Can Dance results show. Even Snoop Dogg couldn't rescue that train wreck. They're inexcusably bad.
Last edited by nehpest on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:57 am UTC

I suppose if you don't have any checked baggage and it's a one way trip you could. Otherwise it would probably still be cheaper to buy a direct two-way ticket than two one-way tickets with a pretend layover.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Steax » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:07 am UTC

In the last 4 years, at least 2 students have passed away due to "accidents" in "orientation" activities, on 1 university alone (and it's one of the so-called best here). I don't call them accidents; more like pathetic planning and support. One had something to do with not being allowed to use the toilet, and holding it back, leading to some fatal condition. Of course, the people at fault say "we didn't tell him he couldn't use the toilet. He could. He just had to go find the person in charge and his group will be told to wait blablablablacrapblabla."

What further angers me is that the campus has decided to keep their mouth shut. Because clearly not honoring the memory of said passed student is worth keeping their public reputation better. Rumor has it that alumni in public media tried to prevent the information from getting published; but on the very real, non-rumor side, not even the campus bulletin boards have anything to say about it.

Also, I think I might have a screwed version of "solidarity" or something. I don't know. When I think of solidarity and working as a team is covering each other's bases and sharing some, but not all, responsibilities. Apparently the rule here is that if one person fails to d X, the whole group is expected to take full punishment (generally physical and somewhat humiliating; push-ups, face-to-face-spit-distance-arguing, shouting, mocking etc). Honestly, my view is that the group can help argue on the punishment needed, or offer to fix/obtain/whatever the problem they have at hand. Everyone just doing what they're told is just screwed.

__

I honestly think it's okay for specific organizations or groups to have mild hazing activities. But these things are "required" (well, you don't have to, but.. "be prepared to not have any friends and family and not have the college experience and dsfsdgsdfhfsdhfgdhfdjgdjhdh").
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
I Am Raven
Posts: 2416
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:09 am UTC
Location: Amsterdam.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby I Am Raven » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:55 pm UTC

Why do you keep giving mixed messages. I don't get it. I don't know if you're doing it because you're frustrated, but if you have a problem with yourself or someone else, work it out. Don't come to me because you know I can take it. Because one of these days I'm going to walk out of here because I can't take it anymore.
Ptolom wrote:penis

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby roband » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:18 pm UTC

ah, fuck it, why bother?

User avatar
Ivora
Posts: 1088
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:18 am UTC
Location: Wandering the Crystal Blue.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Ivora » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:01 pm UTC

i don't like my nickname "puddles"!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

ITS BASED ON LIES! LIES I TELL YOU!

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:15 pm UTC

Step 1: Send AP scores to college.
Step 2: Submit application to get AP scores evaluated.
Step 3: Submit separate application to get credit from AP scores applied to transcript.

I feel like someone at my university is doing their job horribly wrong.

User avatar
torontoraptor
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby torontoraptor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:55 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Quick question pre-rant: how's the rule on hazing in college, everywhere else in the world?

My SO's preparing to, uh, provide orientation on the next batch of students. It horrifies me how they practice shouting at them, forcing them to do ridiculous things (like memorizing a bunch of useless information), and doing physical punishment (just running, push-ups and the sort, but still). These people are signing up to be dentists. Activities start near dawn and end at night. Soft skills and solidarity my ass. There are better ways to prepare students to learn something than having them run around the whole campus while being shouted at.


We do a bit of what could be called hazing, in that we do a fake test early in the morning with ridiculous made up questions. Apparently we used to do more hazing way back, but all that has definitely stopped now.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

User avatar
Kang
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Kang » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:20 am UTC

torontoraptor wrote:
Steax wrote:Quick question pre-rant: how's the rule on hazing in college, everywhere else in the world?

My SO's preparing to, uh, provide orientation on the next batch of students. It horrifies me how they practice shouting at them, forcing them to do ridiculous things (like memorizing a bunch of useless information), and doing physical punishment (just running, push-ups and the sort, but still). These people are signing up to be dentists. Activities start near dawn and end at night. Soft skills and solidarity my ass. There are better ways to prepare students to learn something than having them run around the whole campus while being shouted at.


We do a bit of what could be called hazing, in that we do a fake test early in the morning with ridiculous made up questions. Apparently we used to do more hazing way back, but all that has definitely stopped now.

Now that's funny. In my university the only thing of that sort was the scheduled 'first lecture' which featured a senior student («I have to stand in for professor whats-his-name, as (s)he had to attend a conference today») making a quick pass over all the first semester material within one hour, all the while stating how «this is just basic knowledge you should already have».
The point was that with a few other seniors hidden in the audience the new folks were to learn that they can and should ask questions if things are unclear.

User avatar
ExplodingHat
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:15 am UTC
Location: Land of Smog and Sunsets

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby ExplodingHat » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:30 am UTC

It's one thing to blow people off. It's another thing to concoct a ruse so they wait for you across town for an hour and a half, before turning your phone off. It is another thing entirely to stick your 21+ childhood friend with the under-21 crowd you're attempting to blow off. I know there's a good explanation, though, because there's no way someone could do this without one, right? :cry:

Edit: The person driving took the reluctant friend to a bar. Still, earlier warning would've been nice.
Some call it luck, I call it "subconscious planning".

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:12 pm UTC

I left one of my hobs on this morning. At a low level so the heating elements didn't glow, and so I missed it. When I came home a few minutes ago with some shopping, I put the bags on top of the oven because it was the nearest available flat surface. After a few seconds, I wondered what those fumes coming up from under the bags was. A few seconds after that, I lifted the bag, and the bottom had melted away.

Well, I've cleaned it up, and scraped the melted plastic off the oven, but the kitchen still smells of toxic fumes. Ugh.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

fphhotchips
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 10:40 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby fphhotchips » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:39 pm UTC

I'm so sick of people in my country, including in my immediate circle of friends and family, being prejudiced assholes. In fact, I'm sick of the fact that we as a species have the capability to hate other members of our species for no other reason than that they're a member of a group. Just because another member of that group did something horrible, doesn't mean they're all horrible! By that logic, my whole family, being a white, middle-class nuclear family living in regional Australia are all rapists and murderers! Of course we aren't! Just like not every Muslim immigrant is a terrorist, and not every Indian immigrant wants to steal our jobs! FFS, people, peace and love! It's not that difficult!

I know this makes me a terrible person, but I'm going to enjoy watching the media over the next couple months, just to see if the fact that the attacks in Oslo were done by a fundamentalist Christian changes ANYTHING about this stupid country's attitude towards religion. OF COURSE CHRISTIANITY DOESN'T ACTUALLY TEACH TO DO THAT. BUT NEITHER DOES ISLAM. IT'S CRAZY PEOPLE DOING STUPID SHIT. IS THAT SO HARD TO GET THROUGH YOUR STUPID HEADS?!

I mean, I understand why my Grandmother dislikes my best friend for being gay, even if I disagree with her stance, she feels that her religion disallows it. I get that. I disagree, but there's a reason. There is no good reason for my father, who is otherwise a good man, to make jokes about my friend behind his back. Hell, he even likes the guy, he just can't seem to get over the fact that he likes other guys? So fucking what? If it grosses you out a little, just don't think about it! There is no good reason for my father to agree with banning the burqa (which in this context I use to mean the slit for the eyes up to the full facial covering), except for identification purposes. For him to say that 'it's one rule for us and another for them' is BULLSHIT. Our fashions don't really include anything that fully covers the face, so we don't wear anything like that. If, however, I want to walk around in, say, a Guy Fawkes mask, I CAN AND NOBODY CAN STOP ME UNLESS I WALK INTO A SECURE AREA (ie. identification).

FUCK.

User avatar
nehpest
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:25 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby nehpest » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:45 pm UTC

Fuck eviction. I get that you need to rent out the whole house, and I'm only in one room barely covering your property taxes, but still. Fuck eviction.

/shouldhavebeentoldthiswascoming
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests