Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Kang
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Kang » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:33 pm UTC

I hate I am almost guaranteed to ruin whatever progress I am making towards something just a little down the line. Someone having a hard day? Sure I can cheer them up a bit. Sitting together, having a good time then? Well, certainly I can end up saying something stupid that just spoils the day again. I'm really not a people person; all reason tells me I should stop pretending I was and just go back to enjoying a happy and lonely life on the island that I am.

User avatar
M1k3_Nix
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:19 pm UTC
Location: Plymouth

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby M1k3_Nix » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:18 am UTC

Think its disgusting the media is giving more coverage to the death of one drug addled singer, then the 92 dead in Norway, mostly whom are teenagers.

Screw you mainstream media and todays celebrity culture, you sicken me :evil:
SlyReaper wrote:You shouldn't poke fun at a German's sense of humour like that. A German joke is no laughing matter.


"Simply because you can breathe, doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live"

casoid
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:36 am UTC
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby casoid » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:27 am UTC

M1k3_Nix wrote:Think its disgusting the media is giving more coverage to the death of one drug addled singer, then the 92 dead in Norway, mostly whom are teenagers.

Screw you mainstream media and todays celebrity culture, you sicken me :evil:


Agreed. It's depressing that the Sunday papers (well, the tabloids anyway) are in all likelihood going to lead their front pages with "Drug addict dies of drugs!" and not the atrocity in Norway. Of the '10 Most Read' stories on the BBC website, 5 are about Winehouse. Including every unimportant and irrelevant celebrity gushing on Twitter about how wonderful a human being she was.

The horrific events in Norway are more important and infinitely more depressing than a former singer who has made no major contribution to music since 2006 and has spent the last 5 years smashed off her face while refusing or squandering any attempts to help her finally expiring.

Mumpy
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:20 pm UTC
Location: Oxford, England

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Mumpy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:15 am UTC

I... Hrmmm.

While I agree with you on the point that Norway should be top of every news channel, I have some trouble in hearing that someone's died and going 'Big Fucking deal, she knew what was coming for her. If she didn't buck up, why should even bother mourning'. I feel ill at ease with dismissing one loss as irrelevant to my life just cause there has been more than one tragedy recently (Though I am in no way trying to equate the horror of a gunman mercilessly shooting teenagers with a drug addict overdosing).

I guess what I'm saying is, You guys are right, but I wish you wouldn't be so vehement. Amy Winehouse didn't deserve to die, just as much as her death doesn't deserve to be front page news.

User avatar
the_mean_marine
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:03 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby the_mean_marine » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:34 am UTC

Mumpy wrote:I guess what I'm saying is, You guys are right, but I wish you wouldn't be so vehement. Amy Winehouse didn't deserve to die, just as much as her death doesn't deserve to be front page news.

I agree, but I think that a certain amount of outrage is required in order to change opinion. People rarely respect softly voiced opinions.

++$_
Mo' Money
Posts: 2370
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:06 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby ++$_ » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:02 am UTC

Here is Amy Winehouse next to the people who were killed in Norway:
* : ********************************************************************************************

This is the ratio of the media coverage:

* : *

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:08 am UTC

M1k3_Nix wrote:Think its disgusting the media is giving more coverage to the death of one drug addled singer, then the 92 dead in Norway, mostly whom are teenagers.

Screw you mainstream media and todays celebrity culture, you sicken me :evil:


Those were not American! Liberals, even!

User avatar
a_fuzzyduck
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:42 pm UTC
Location: Clydebank
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:12 pm UTC

fphhotchips wrote:I know this makes me a terrible person, but I'm going to enjoy watching the media over the next couple months, just to see if the fact that the attacks in Oslo were done by a fundamentalist Christian changes ANYTHING about this stupid country's attitude towards religion. OF COURSE CHRISTIANITY DOESN'T ACTUALLY TEACH TO DO THAT. BUT NEITHER DOES ISLAM. IT'S CRAZY PEOPLE DOING STUPID SHIT. IS THAT SO HARD TO GET THROUGH YOUR STUPID HEADS?!


the sad truth is that most media outlets will ignore the religious angle, because the perpetrator wasn't one of those brown guys
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5941
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Angua » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:14 pm UTC

a_fuzzyduck wrote:
fphhotchips wrote:I know this makes me a terrible person, but I'm going to enjoy watching the media over the next couple months, just to see if the fact that the attacks in Oslo were done by a fundamentalist Christian changes ANYTHING about this stupid country's attitude towards religion. OF COURSE CHRISTIANITY DOESN'T ACTUALLY TEACH TO DO THAT. BUT NEITHER DOES ISLAM. IT'S CRAZY PEOPLE DOING STUPID SHIT. IS THAT SO HARD TO GET THROUGH YOUR STUPID HEADS?!


the sad truth is that most media outlets will ignore the religious angle, because the perpetrator wasn't one of those brown guys

relevant
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Jessica » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:40 pm UTC

The death of Amy Winehouse and the Oslo bombing are two separate news worthy events. You really can't compare them. Both deserve to make the news, and both deserve to be talked about. They aren't equivalent.

I'm kind of sick of people comparing the two, as if one is not news worthy and the other is. Both are getting press. It's not an either or. And it shouldn't be.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

User avatar
Viae
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm UTC
Location: Albion

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Viae » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:40 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
M1k3_Nix wrote:Think its disgusting the media is giving more coverage to the death of one drug addled singer, then the 92 dead in Norway, mostly whom are teenagers.

Screw you mainstream media and todays celebrity culture, you sicken me :evil:

Those were not American! Liberals, even!

Butbutbut Winehouse was English. Stop stealing our taken-too-soon celebrities, you've got enough of your own.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Also, I think your title should be "colossus", and I don't care if nobody agrees.

User avatar
Kewangji
Has Been Touched
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:20 pm UTC
Location: Lost in Translation
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Kewangji » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:25 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:The death of Amy Winehouse and the Oslo bombing are two separate news worthy events. You really can't compare them. Both deserve to make the news, and both deserve to be talked about. They aren't equivalent.

I'm kind of sick of people comparing the two, as if one is not news worthy and the other is. Both are getting press. It's not an either or. And it shouldn't be.

You're missing the point. Like, by a mile.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby felltir » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:
Jessica wrote:The death of Amy Winehouse and the Oslo bombing are two separate news worthy events. You really can't compare them. Both deserve to make the news, and both deserve to be talked about. They aren't equivalent.

I'm kind of sick of people comparing the two, as if one is not news worthy and the other is. Both are getting press. It's not an either or. And it shouldn't be.

You're missing the point. Like, by a mile.

Ponies.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
Kewangji
Has Been Touched
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:20 pm UTC
Location: Lost in Translation
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Kewangji » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:59 pm UTC

To clarify, yes - they are both newsworthy. They should both feature in the newspapers. No-one is suggesting that news agencies should only focus on one story at a time because frankly, that'd be stupid. HOWEVER, one story should feature more prominently as it is, by far, more important. More urgent, more newsworthy. They are definitely comparable since when they're in the same medium (news outlets) they have to compete for space. And the Oslo and Utøya stuff should be paid more attention.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Ptolom » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:11 pm UTC

Also, the amount of space required to cover something properly isn't really proportional to its importance. If papers followed that rule, mere individuals wouldn't even be mentioned. We'd just have swathes of articles about global warming, epidemics and suchlike.

User avatar
Mous
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:00 am UTC
Location: Virginia

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Mous » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:13 pm UTC

First I'm told that under no circumstances am I allowed to live at the only place I could possibly afford. Then I'm told, oh, by the way, we won't help you pay for an apartment, because your siblings manage on their own. Never mind that my siblings are at least 6 years older than me and didn't just transfer schools and move across the country to be closer to the family to support them during medical problems.
Then I'm told that even though I've applied to ~150 jobs in the past 3 months, I'm clearly not trying hard enough.
Fuckity fuck.
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

User avatar
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself
Posts: 5538
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:31 am UTC
Location: Lexington, MA
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby doogly » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:28 am UTC

Mous wrote:First I'm told that under no circumstances am I allowed to live at the only place I could possibly afford. Then I'm told, oh, by the way, we won't help you pay for an apartment

In what sense do you require permission for things, if there isn't support?
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:40 am UTC

Dear Amazon Marketplace Buyer who has emailed me three times asking about the quality of a used PC game I am selling: If it's this difficult a decision to you, just buy from someone else.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Mumpy
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:20 pm UTC
Location: Oxford, England

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Mumpy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:15 am UTC

the_mean_marine wrote: People rarely respect softly voiced opinions.


I have never found that on this fora though. I mean, I don't post in SB or N&A, so what do I know? But in my poor jennie/faidite experience the people who're going to dismiss my point are either going to do it based on content, or on username (as in, it's not their own).

User avatar
Cathy
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:31 am UTC
Location: TX, USA

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Cathy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:47 am UTC

doogly wrote:
Mous wrote:First I'm told that under no circumstances am I allowed to live at the only place I could possibly afford. Then I'm told, oh, by the way, we won't help you pay for an apartment

In what sense do you require permission for things, if there isn't support?

Well, the way my parents did it was they decided that they would refuse to pay for my living expenses if I didn't change my major back from the Computer Science Degree I had recently changed to. The assumption was that the lack of living expenses would either make me change back my degree, or I'd refuse to change the degree and have to come crawling home to community college and living with them for a few years. I ended up moving in with my SO which, fortunately, worked better than either of us could have imagined (we're getting married soon.)
I still required their approval so they would pay some of my college expenses, so I couldn't just say eff it, I'm out, and move on with my life. Parents are disgustingly happy to wield their money as influence.
[Two years later they still try but it's not working so well since I found I can buck their influence.]

Mous, I feel you with the 150 jobs and no takers. May I suggest shooting for jobs a little higher than you actually think you can get? (I don't really know where you are in life etc so please don't take me the wrong way.) A lot of people are saturating the lower-rung jobs so if you go a bit higher than you might otherwise it is distinctly possible you could have better chances. Or at least they probably have less apps to sort though. Feel free to pm me if you need to rant, I've got some of the same things.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

User avatar
the_mean_marine
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:03 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby the_mean_marine » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:02 am UTC

Mumpy wrote:
the_mean_marine wrote: People rarely respect softly voiced opinions.


I have never found that on this fora though. I mean, I don't post in SB or N&A, so what do I know? But in my poor jennie/faidite experience the people who're going to dismiss my point are either going to do it based on content, or on username (as in, it's not their own).


Oh I didn't mean on this forum, the people here are very respectful of others opinions in general. I was talking about society as a whole.

User avatar
Mous
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:00 am UTC
Location: Virginia

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Mous » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:46 pm UTC

doogly wrote:
Mous wrote:First I'm told that under no circumstances am I allowed to live at the only place I could possibly afford. Then I'm told, oh, by the way, we won't help you pay for an apartment

In what sense do you require permission for things, if there isn't support?

It went like this: All summer they made it seem as though they were going to support me. I chose a nice, cheap apartment, $300 a month, 2 bedrooms with an older man in the other bedroom. They found out, said, "no way" because apparently they think I'm going to have sex with the older man. I sighed, told the man with the apartment that I couldn't take it, and started searching again. The next cheapest apartments are no less than $450 a month, and usually with much more people who are my age and annoying. More sighing, finally accepted a place and resigned myself to another miserable school year.
Then I'm told that they won't help me anyway. Too late to go back to the cheaper one. Can't find a job. Not trying hard enough, my ass. No night jobs open, can't work during the day because of classes. Not to mention there's 30,000 students at the university, all looking for jobs in a town with only 40,000 people that doesn't even have a Walmart.

New rant, if you're going to make little bottles of contact solution and advertise them as "great for travel!" ... you should probably make them 3.4 oz, instead of 4 oz. :x
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:00 pm UTC

Jesus. There is no fuckery like family fuckery. *hugs*
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
Plasmic-Turtle
Posts: 524
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:17 pm UTC

the_mean_marine wrote:
Mumpy wrote:
the_mean_marine wrote: People rarely respect softly voiced opinions.


I have never found that on this fora though. I mean, I don't post in SB or N&A, so what do I know? But in my poor jennie/faidite experience the people who're going to dismiss my point are either going to do it based on content, or on username (as in, it's not their own).


Oh I didn't mean on this forum, the people here are very respectful of others opinions in general. I was talking about society as a whole.
I think you're both right. Sometimes, a strong voice is needed to change things. But often, I find a softly voiced opinion can work better: if you voice something too strongly then those with a different view-point often pop up their defences and it turns into a shouting-match. Whereas by sneaking in with a soft voice you can subtly change opinion without alienating the other person/people. I know I'm more ready to change my own point of view when I don't feel "got at" and the other person's view is clearly and calmly explained. (Presuming it's a reasonable point of view they have, of course.)

But yes, loud voices certainly have their place. Off to email the local MP because I'm angry about a bar in town that is willing to serve a gazillion tequila shots but ignores good host responsibility by refusing to make free tap-water available to patrons, instead charging $4 for 300 mL bottles of the stuff. I'm gonna get those laws changed bitches!

Mumpy
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:20 pm UTC
Location: Oxford, England

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Mumpy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:18 am UTC

Don't get me wrong, I do get the power of the authoritative voice, just, never really found I was missing it on here, despite the general lack of noise this fora has...


Also.
What, the bar staff won't serve water? Jeeze, what do they drink? There has to be something cheap enough that the owner doesn't give a fuck that their staff are drinking it, surely. (That law still needs changing though, and pronto).

Most importantly:

podbaydoor wrote:Jesus. There is no fuckery like family fuckery. *hugs*


so much this, *hugs*

User avatar
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 am UTC
Location: Lancaster

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:03 am UTC

What the balls? I'm looking at flights from LA to London and they're far more expensive than makes sense. I recently got a roundtrip flight that I bought a couple months in advance for about $1000. I got another roundtrip not too long before that one that I bought a bit further in advance for about $700. I'm now looking to buy a one way ticket two months in advance and all the major airlines want like $1600. How the hell does that make sense? It's half the trip and a similar time in advance, so I'd expect it to be more like $500.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

User avatar
TimelordSimone
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:05 pm UTC
Location: Cambridge ish

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby TimelordSimone » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:32 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:What the balls? I'm looking at flights from LA to London and they're far more expensive than makes sense. I recently got a roundtrip flight that I bought a couple months in advance for about $1000. I got another roundtrip not too long before that one that I bought a bit further in advance for about $700. I'm now looking to buy a one way ticket two months in advance and all the major airlines want like $1600. How the hell does that make sense? It's half the trip and a similar time in advance, so I'd expect it to be more like $500.

I have incredibly limited experience flying, but wouldn't prices change depending on the time of year?
I mostly lurk. Hello.

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Adacore » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:45 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:What the balls? I'm looking at flights from LA to London and they're far more expensive than makes sense. I recently got a roundtrip flight that I bought a couple months in advance for about $1000. I got another roundtrip not too long before that one that I bought a bit further in advance for about $700. I'm now looking to buy a one way ticket two months in advance and all the major airlines want like $1600. How the hell does that make sense? It's half the trip and a similar time in advance, so I'd expect it to be more like $500.

Hmm... for exactly two months from today (September 26th), Expedia is quoting me 326GBP, which is $532, direct with Air New Zealand (flight number 002). That seems incredibly cheap to me, but there you go.

User avatar
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 am UTC
Location: Lancaster

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:03 am UTC

Adacore wrote:Hmm... for exactly two months from today (September 26th), Expedia is quoting me 326GBP, which is $532, direct with Air New Zealand (flight number 002). That seems incredibly cheap to me, but there you go.

Yeah, some airlines like Air New Zealand are more like what I was expecting, but BA, United, Virgin Atlantic, American Airlines, US Airlines, etc. are all quoting higher prices.

TimelordSimone wrote:I have incredibly limited experience flying, but wouldn't prices change depending on the time of year?

Yep. However, one of the previously mentioned times was in summer and the other was during spring break. I don't see why 'random time in fall' would be significantly more expensive.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

User avatar
Levi
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:12 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Levi » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:53 am UTC

I haven't had a comfortable level of privacy at home for two months. My parents and I finally got around to painting my room when this started, but after we finished the walls, the trim still had to be done. My parents decided it needed to have the old paint scraped off before we put new paint on it, because the old stuff is black. I thought it would be better to just put a few extra coats on, but they said otherwise so I went along with it. However, I didn't want to do it because the house is old and the paint is lead-based. They weren't worried about it, but I'm deathly afraid of lead-poisoning, so I won't get up close and personal with the paint. They were fine with that, but I'm regretting it now because they have been doing the job painfully slowly. They are still only a quarter of the way done with it. For a month I could not be alone. I can't browse where I like and watch youtube/tv/movies as I wish, because now in addition to the easily-solved-with-alt-tab problem of someone walking onto the room there is the issue of there being a goddamn window behind me anywhere I sit, allowing anyone to see what I'm doing in the reflection. A few weeks after the painting of my room, my mom accidentally opened one of my bank statements (technically my dad's; apparently minors can't enter into contractual agreements [a bit off-topic, but wtf? Did the clerk misphrase the law or do parents have to give permission for minors to get jobs? Also this is yet another thing for me to hate about the US's laws concerning minors) thinking it was hers, and they discovered I have netflix subscription. Now I can't even watch what I want when they are out of the house because they use it too. Then we moved up to my grandparents cottage, where I have to share a room with my brothers. We will be up here for one more week. I'm about at the point where I'm going to give lead-poisoning the finger and scrape the damn thing myself.

EDIT: Also my uncle is a pain in the ass sometimes.

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:48 am UTC

God dammit, Homestuck. I've been reading for weeks and I'm still four hundred pages behind.

User avatar
ExplodingHat
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:15 am UTC
Location: Land of Smog and Sunsets

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby ExplodingHat » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:48 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:God dammit, Homestuck. I've been reading for weeks and I'm still four hundred pages behind.
Think of it this way: that's 400 updates you don't have to keep refreshing for. :mrgreen:
Some call it luck, I call it "subconscious planning".

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 6598
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Thesh » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:33 am UTC

Fuck me. Sunday night/monday morning I was able to sleep from 12am-3am. At 6pm I was so tired, I decided to take a double dose of sleeping pills hoping to get a good night of sleep. I fell asleep right around 7pm, and then woke up at 11pm... I'm still tired, the sleeping pills really make me feel drowsy, but it's 4:30am and I am still unable to go back to sleep.

Could be worse, there's been times when I've gone days without being able to get any sleep whatsoever (and not for lack of trying).
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

User avatar
a_fuzzyduck
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:42 pm UTC
Location: Clydebank
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:26 pm UTC

Mumpy wrote:Also.
What, the bar staff won't serve water? Jeeze, what do they drink? There has to be something cheap enough that the owner doesn't give a fuck that their staff are drinking it, surely. (That law still needs changing though, and pronto).


iirc it's a legal requirement, under English law at least
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

Mumpy
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:20 pm UTC
Location: Oxford, England

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Mumpy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:32 pm UTC

Yeah in uk it is, which is what threw me. but given that dollars was the currency mentioned, I'm assuming elsewhereness.


(which is the first mistake, if you ask me)

User avatar
EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy
Posts: 3726
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: where the wind takes me

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:41 pm UTC

Levi wrote:I haven't had a comfortable level of privacy at home for two months. My parents and I finally got around to painting my room when this started, but after we finished the walls, the trim still had to be done. My parents decided it needed to have the old paint scraped off before we put new paint on it, because the old stuff is black. I thought it would be better to just put a few extra coats on, but they said otherwise so I went along with it. However, I didn't want to do it because the house is old and the paint is lead-based. They weren't worried about it, but I'm deathly afraid of lead-poisoning, so I won't get up close and personal with the paint. They were fine with that, but I'm regretting it now because they have been doing the job painfully slowly. They are still only a quarter of the way done with it. For a month I could not be alone. I can't browse where I like and watch youtube/tv/movies as I wish, because now in addition to the easily-solved-with-alt-tab problem of someone walking onto the room there is the issue of there being a goddamn window behind me anywhere I sit, allowing anyone to see what I'm doing in the reflection. A few weeks after the painting of my room, my mom accidentally opened one of my bank statements (technically my dad's; apparently minors can't enter into contractual agreements [a bit off-topic, but wtf? Did the clerk misphrase the law or do parents have to give permission for minors to get jobs? Also this is yet another thing for me to hate about the US's laws concerning minors) thinking it was hers, and they discovered I have netflix subscription. Now I can't even watch what I want when they are out of the house because they use it too. Then we moved up to my grandparents cottage, where I have to share a room with my brothers. We will be up here for one more week. I'm about at the point where I'm going to give lead-poisoning the finger and scrape the damn thing myself.

EDIT: Also my uncle is a pain in the ass sometimes.



Just don't eat it, Lead isn't that poisonous.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Xeio » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:09 pm UTC

I really want to say this is impossible. That this couldn't have happened. That it's entirely your fault because there have literally been no changes on our end for 7 months, and since you tested this 4 months ago (and it was working!), it could not be our fault.

I really want to say that.

But then I'd just ensure that somehow, some way, it actually is our fault.

I'm still 99% sure you're doing it wrong!

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Ptolom » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:15 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:
Levi wrote:I haven't had a comfortable level of privacy at home for two months. My parents and I finally got around to painting my room when this started, but after we finished the walls, the trim still had to be done. My parents decided it needed to have the old paint scraped off before we put new paint on it, because the old stuff is black. I thought it would be better to just put a few extra coats on, but they said otherwise so I went along with it. However, I didn't want to do it because the house is old and the paint is lead-based. They weren't worried about it, but I'm deathly afraid of lead-poisoning, so I won't get up close and personal with the paint. They were fine with that, but I'm regretting it now because they have been doing the job painfully slowly. They are still only a quarter of the way done with it. For a month I could not be alone. I can't browse where I like and watch youtube/tv/movies as I wish, because now in addition to the easily-solved-with-alt-tab problem of someone walking onto the room there is the issue of there being a goddamn window behind me anywhere I sit, allowing anyone to see what I'm doing in the reflection. A few weeks after the painting of my room, my mom accidentally opened one of my bank statements (technically my dad's; apparently minors can't enter into contractual agreements [a bit off-topic, but wtf? Did the clerk misphrase the law or do parents have to give permission for minors to get jobs? Also this is yet another thing for me to hate about the US's laws concerning minors) thinking it was hers, and they discovered I have netflix subscription. Now I can't even watch what I want when they are out of the house because they use it too. Then we moved up to my grandparents cottage, where I have to share a room with my brothers. We will be up here for one more week. I'm about at the point where I'm going to give lead-poisoning the finger and scrape the damn thing myself.

EDIT: Also my uncle is a pain in the ass sometimes.



Just don't eat it, Lead isn't that poisonous.

I spent about five years suffering from a crippling phobia of lead poisoning. If I came anywhere near windows with leaded panes, or lead flashing on roofs, or even soldered plumbing, I'd go into panic mode. I've moved on to new fears now, to the point where I can use a soldering iron myself.

Edit: Fuck, I suck at quoting.
Last edited by Ptolom on Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Levi
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:12 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Levi » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:31 pm UTC

I'm not phobic, I just can't seem to find any reliable information about how safe it is. 'Deathly afraid' is a highly exaggerated description. Some things say it's fine to have all over, and others say 'OMGWTFBBQ TOUCH IT AND YOU DIE'. I can't figure out which is true, so I'd prefer to stay on the safe side.

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:37 pm UTC

Just wear a paper painter's mask so you don't breath in any flakes (which are unlikely to get airborne anyways unless you are sanding the trim) and wash your hands afterwards. I've been handling lead bullets all my life and just wash my hands when I'm done or before eating and I've had no ill affects. It's not poisonous like cyanide, where a little bit will kill you. I'm pretty sure it's more of a "if you breath this stuff in 5 days a week for years, or spends days and days licking paint it's going to be poisonous."
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests