Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ptolom

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Ptolom » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:55 pm UTC

I'm too tired to function, so why does going to bed seem so terrible?

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

thorgold wrote:What began to get my mind rolling was a sudden awareness of what songs were being played. We all hear music, listen to it, but how often do you sit down and consider what you're listening to? The line from a certain hit dance song drove a spike into my head "Let go, everybody just have a good time." Translated - don't think, just feel.

This revelation drove a cascade of thoughts leading to the conclusion that these parties were the incarnation of overwhelming sensuality. Music that proclaims that thought is worthless and pleasure is all that's important, played at a volume that renders thought impossible anyway. No light in the dance hall, lest we see what we're doing and think about it. Strobes and smoke blind and stun everyone, further creating an environment of confusion, chaos, and sensuality above all else.

For Christ's sake, the opening song - chosen by a councilor working as DJ - was "I just had Sex!" Followed, quite enthusiastically, by a "Viva la Vida" parody in which a guy says all of eight words "I like sex but I'd rather have head." Repeated in monotone for three minutes. Sung heartily not only buy the guys, but the girls.

How is this seen as... real? Good? Of any value? I'm at a loss for words to describe the dread I feel in my chest as I recall it.

To drive the stake home, almost everyone went to Catholic Mass two days later, as if to put a neon sign on the hypocrisy of our system of thought.

I just can't wrap my head around how a person could think on those terms, to say "Fuck the mind, I'll do whatever gives me a hormonal high right now." Ironic, because I was re-reading Anthem at the time.

...there's a time and a place. A party is indeed the time to let go and have fun. You can do both, guys. I know a poli-sci major that was head of the academic league at his school, who stays in his dorm and plays videogames a lot... but who also parties, is fairly promiscuous, etc...

It's not supposed to be real/good/have value. It's supposed to be fun. See, what you're doing here, you're not letting go and just letting everybody have a good time. Obviously the song ain't a work of art, but again, it doesn't have to be. It's unfair to consider a party a dreadful, orgiastic, hypocritical horror.

Humanity is balancing out thought and feeling. You can have both. It's just as absurd to say "fuck hormonal highs, I'm going to stick with being cerebral about everything all the time" as it is to say "fuck the mind, I just want a hormonal high all the time"
uhhhh fuck.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:29 pm UTC

I spend 2 hours trying to figure out why Firefox wouldn't print my very simple document with backgrounds.

So:
1. I google the problem. A lot of tutorials and stuff pop up, telling me to check the "print backgrounds" checkbox. I have.
2. I check anyway. Problem persists.
3. I check out the Mozilla Dev sites, and find there are no extra settings. I prepare to file a report in one tab.
4. I try Safari - same problem. Deciding the problem is elsewhere, I close the report tab.
5. I try Chrome. Problem persists.
6. I print to PDF, and open on another computer, thinking it was a problem with Preview. It wasn't.
7. Sites recommend me to add forced media queries. @media print{ section{background:red;} } does nothing.
8. I start blasting bits of the CSS I'm using (it was based on HTML5 boilerplate) to find the problem.
9. I find this:

Code: Select all

@media print{
   *{background: transparent !important;}
}

At the very bottom. For you non-CSS coders out there, that means it turns all backgrounds transparent. The !important makes sure it overrides any other settings, period.

10. I feel stupid for using this template for such a simple purpose (I was designing a contract file, to print as a pdf and email, so I didn't need stuff like cross-browser testing or media queries).

EDIT

The battle continues! I can't get my font-face to render properly on Firefox's Print feature. I'd use Safari, but I can't get the latest one because it requires Snow Leopard, and hence it won't take the -webkit-linear-gradient function, which I'm using for diagonal stripes (and can't be bothered to re-create the old way). I try going to Chrome, and that works! ... But I can't find the option to render background colors. It wasn't where it was for Safari/Firefox.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

EDIT II

As this chrome support thread shows, Chrome somehow does not allow for us to render background colors in any way.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

EDIT III

I decide to screw HTML 5 and CSS 3, and make the required text in Fireworks and apply it as a background-image.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:45 am UTC

Parent babbles on like a skipping record... need to fucking shut up right about fucking now......

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:21 am UTC

modularblues wrote:Parent babbles on like a skipping record... need to fucking shut up right about fucking now......

Yeah, that. Mine has now compared me to her juvenile delinquent high school students, threatened to throw me out of the hotel, and ordered me to get out of her sight. All over an argument about Mexican food vs. Chinese food.

We should make a club.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:03 am UTC

I have spent about an hour trying to get gnupgp to encrypt my email in thunderbird. The first line of man gpg-agent is this "The agent is usualy started on demand by gpg, gpgsm, gpgconf or gpg-connect-agent. Thus there is no reason to start it manually."
I just discovered that that was all lies and you have to start it manually in .xinitrc.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:05 am UTC

Internet forums: y u no let me delete my profile?
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:07 am UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:Internet forums: y u no let me delete my profile?

They've got their hands on a piece of your soul there. They're not going to just give it back.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:21 am UTC

Well, it's annoying. I'm trying to reduce my Internet presence, and this makes it rather difficult.
why did I have to use the same username for everything?
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:25 am UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:Well, it's annoying. I'm trying to reduce my Internet presence, and this makes it rather difficult.

I once googled an ex-friend's email adress and happened upon a forum profile. The profile lead me to sappy love poems. I was very amused.

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:42 am UTC

TimelordSimone: y u try 2 leave us :(
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:47 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
TimelordSimone wrote:Well, it's annoying. I'm trying to reduce my Internet presence, and this makes it rather difficult.

I once googled an ex-friend's email adress and happened upon a forum profile. The profile lead me to sappy love poems. I was very amused.

Visiting practically any of my friends' facebook profiles and navigating far enough back will reveal at least 1 sappy status, picture, or note. It's kind of a law on the internet.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:04 pm UTC

Because it either leads to not actually doing what the user wants OR it leads to conversations no longer making any sense whatsoever.

CerealThrilla : Hey, anyone played Gunface Assassin?

CerealThrilla : HA HA! Awesome.

*end thread*

What the fuck was that!?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:13 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Because it either leads to not actually doing what the user wants OR it leads to conversations no longer making any sense whatsoever.

*end thread*

What the fuck was that!?

See, that makes sense, except that at least one of the forums in question let me delete all my posts (I only had a handful, it took like two minutes). So the exact same problem will still arise.
Shrug. I'm less annoyed about it now. Now I kinda just want to sleeeeep...
I mostly lurk. Hello.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:13 pm UTC

It's like trying to get pee out of a pool man. Once it's in there, it's in there.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

*end thread*

What the fuck was that!?

This reminds me of a Dota forum I was pretty active in.

Came back a few years later to see what happened to them. Their user databases got fucked in the ass.
Now in their archives, every post is by "Someone".

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:04 pm UTC

See, the issue with the Someone replacement for a deleted account is that it is possible...but every post you have that got quoted? Your Username. Right There.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:16 pm UTC

Just Someone word filters!

I foresee zero problems with changing Someone usernames to 'Someone' Someone.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:26 pm UTC

Holy shit goddam fucking cock bitching fuck fuckers. I was on hold with Adobe for over a fucking hour and the fucking fucks fucking dis-fucking-con-fucking-nect-fucking my fucking call the fucking fucks. Now I have to fucking call these piece of shit fuckheads again to fucking sit through "Press 1 to have us fuck you up the ass" for another fucking hour. Customer support is supposed to support your customers, not make them want to fucking leave you for another company.
--Flobots "Mayday"

casoid

Postby casoid » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

On a related note, why can I get a mobile phone signal five miles off the coast but I get fuck-all anywhere else in the UK? What the fuck, Orange? You promised me wonderful 3G all over the country, you worthless shower of bastards, and I can't even complete one bloody phone call without the fucking signal dropping out? You're going to have to give me a truly inspired excuse why I have no service about 40% of the time unless you want me to come and set fire to your fucking shop with you in it. Sort it out, or we'll find out if my phone can get a signal when it's jammed two feet up your arse.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:47 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Holy shit goddam fucking cock bitching fuck fuckers. I was on hold with Adobe for over a fucking hour and the fucking fucks fucking dis-fucking-con-fucking-nect-fucking my fucking call the fucking fucks. Now I have to fucking call these piece of shit fuckheads again to fucking sit through "Press 1 to have us fuck you up the ass" for another fucking hour. Customer support is supposed to support your customers, not make them want to fucking leave you for another company.

Unsolicited advice:
Spoiler:
Mash the keypad, or mash 0 repeatedly. That sometimes pushes you straight to an operator. Or look online. Sometimes there are third party websites that tell you how to skip all the crap and go directly to a real person.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:51 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:Holy shit goddam fucking cock bitching fuck fuckers. I was on hold with Adobe for over a fucking hour and the fucking fucks fucking dis-fucking-con-fucking-nect-fucking my fucking call the fucking fucks. Now I have to fucking call these piece of shit fuckheads again to fucking sit through "Press 1 to have us fuck you up the ass" for another fucking hour. Customer support is supposed to support your customers, not make them want to fucking leave you for another company.

Unsolicited advice:
Spoiler:
Mash the keypad, or mash 0 repeatedly. That sometimes pushes you straight to an operator. Or look online. Sometimes there are third party websites that tell you how to skip all the crap and go directly to a real person.

GetHuman is the shit.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:40 pm UTC

Eseell wrote:
emceng wrote:

Unsolicited advice:
Spoiler:

GetHuman is the shit.
Thanks guys, I'll try those next time.
--Flobots "Mayday"

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:29 am UTC

Also, swearing. A lot of systems will transfer you to a human if they hear the magic words ("fucking" usually works) as they assume you're angry and need to be dealt with Right Now.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:59 am UTC

The EGE wrote:Also, swearing. A lot of systems will transfer you to a human if they hear the magic words ("fucking" usually works) as they assume you're angry and need to be dealt with Right Now.
Wait.... really? :mrgreen:

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:34 am UTC

Doesn't work for all systems, but a lot, yeah.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

icanus

Postby icanus » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 am UTC

Fucking rioters burned down my local pub. Bastards.

They've also ruined my grandad's holiday, because there's no way we're dragging an 80 year old man through several train-changes at various london stations in the middle of all this shit.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:32 am UTC

The EGE wrote:Also, swearing. A lot of systems will transfer you to a human if they hear the magic words ("fucking" usually works) as they assume you're angry and need to be dealt with Right Now.

I recently had an irritating phone session where I apparently needed to input a password to talk to tech support. I just held on and ages and ages and eventually a human picked up anyway.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Kang

Postby Kang » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:00 am UTC

So... train service. Or lack thereof. Why do you gorram people even call that service? Right, you got that flashy infoscreen right at the edge of the platform, thanks for having it warn me that the train I'm going to take doesn't stop on any of the backwaters on the way. That's why I take that train. How about next time telling me right there, that no train at all is going to be there, because of 'an ambulance deployment' better known as 'scraping another suicidal off the tracks', but no you make me walk across the whole platform until I get informed by fucking rumour that the train is off before you - five minutes after scheduled departure - make that cryptic PA announcement. But don't worry, there's always a bus replacement! Hoo-fucking-ray. My train was the second one cancelled with a third one scheduled just ten minutes later. So you have commuter froms three full trains, right? Here comes the sort of math only a railway company can solve: three trains with six carriages each, at this time rather full; that should make... one bus. Yes, of course. And hey, why not wait there at the bus terminal for the fourth and fifth cancelled train, because after the bus left five minutes before I got there (thanks for that timely announcement again) and there just won't be a bus until that one made its whole roundtrip.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:15 am UTC

I am sorry that somebody's death has inconvenienced you.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:26 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:I am sorry that somebody's death has inconvenienced you.

That's a little harsh. It sounds more like the train company's nincompoopery has inconvenienced him.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Kang

Postby Kang » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:21 pm UTC

It's damn inconsiderate! Is it really so much to ask to kill oneself in a way that won't make hundreds of people run late for work?
SlyReaper wrote:It sounds more like the train company's nincompoopery has inconvenienced him.

That was actually more of my point indeed. I realise they can't have ten busses standing by at every station for the eventuality of a disruption of normal service, as crappy as that normal service may be during rush hours, but there is a depot not that far away. And if by some freak coincidence they only had one single bus available at all - for example because the top brass decided to invest in yet another subcontractor overseas instead of finally ordering that set of spare parts the maintenance department wanted in 1987 - , they could at least have told their customers what was going on, if they were going to get more capacity and how long in either case it would probably take for the next bus to arrive. Instead they just claim there was a bus and leave more and more people standing in the rain wondering whether or not they will ever get to their destinations at all. I eventually left the ever more filling up terminal to find another route after 30 minutes. That is 45 minutes after the previous cancelled train arrived and more than hour after the incident. Only information to passengers yet: 'There will be a bus. Sometime.'
In fact, scratch all that. I don't want more honesty, quite on the contrary: they could at least pretend now and then that they were offering a service to what could in the widest sense be considered human beings.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:37 pm UTC

One suicide: probably at least 50 years of life, gone

~1000 people, each with ~1 hour of time wasted: ~0.11 years of life, gone.

Assume "time dead" is at least 20 times worse than merely "time wasted because train is late", and linear additive utility functions...

Ratio of suckatude between a single suicide and multiple major trains being late: its over 9000.

Similar math: Assume your life is "worth" at least 10 million dollars to you. Every 100 million km traveled, you'll get an average of more than 0.5 deaths.

Or 10 million dollars * deaths / (200 million deaths/km) = 5$ per 100 km in "death costs".
GA (small aircraft) is about 5 times this, or 25$ per 100 km in "death costs".
Commercial Flight is about 1/20th this, or 0.25$ (ie, a quarter) per 100 km in "death costs".

(Note that the above costs include non-participants, like pedestrians being run over).

I think I'll use that. ;)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:27 pm UTC

That kind of thinking annoys the shit out of me. People die. Often. Sure, one doesn't want to be an asshole about it, but if I have absolutely no relation* to the deceased, I'm not going to care. Otherwise I'd have to feel bad every couple seconds. There's enough shit in my life (as there is in everyone's), so please don't judge me for not heaping on more shit in a misguided bout of empathy.

My anger is not directed towards Felstaff, by the way. It's just a rant that's been on my mind lately.

*I'll define relation as "I know someone who knows the person," rather than "I just drove by their funeral procession."
-Adam

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:03 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:One suicide: probably at least 50 years of life, gone......

Don't do that. Don't try to use math to quantify life, it doesn't work. And if you convince yourself it does or try to make it work, you're going to get out of touch with reality.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:12 pm UTC

Sure. But there is a seeming difference between "I cannot feel bad every second because someone somewhere has died" and "Oh my god, that man was shot and it got blood on my shirt! This sucks, I liked that shirt! We need to make guns that don't splatter blood like that."
The Scyphozoa wrote:
Yakk wrote:One suicide: probably at least 50 years of life, gone......

Don't do that. Don't try to use math to quantify life, it doesn't work. And if you convince yourself it does or try to make it work, you're going to get out of touch with reality.
"Paradoxically, a refusal to `put a monetary value on life' means that life is often undervalued.'' -- Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach

I produced a lower bound on the value of a death, not an upper bound. Admittedly, I did it in order to do a DBZ joke, but the problem isn't the lower bound, it was the DBZ joke.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:02 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:

My anger is not directed towards Felstaff, by the way. It's just a rant that's been on my mind lately.

You'd better not direct anger at Felstaff. He'll reflect that anger, and send his army after you. Of kittens. Kittens with rainbows. Sixty-foot tall cybernetic kittens that shoot rainbow lasers from their eyes that immolate his enemies.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Pandorly

Postby Pandorly » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:26 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:But, though family relations may suck, you have topped the 500th page of the rant thread. Surely that's some compensation?

Yes but I have made the 20,000th post. Wow, that's a lot of ranting right there.

Kang wrote:So... train service. ... 'scraping another suicidal off the tracks', but no you make me walk across the whole platform...

That reminded me so much of this!

Yakk wrote:One suicide: probably at least 50 years of life, gone

~1000 people, each with ~1 hour of time wasted: ~0.11 years of life, gone

I think I'll use that. ;)

What a fantastic method, I'm definitely using similar conjectures to deduce the value of things in future.

I don't want this post to be off-topic so... Damn those rioters!
'Science is the great antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition(!!!).' - Adam Smith

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:30 pm UTC

I was going to a hackspace in Birmingham tomorrow. Now I can't without others fearing unreasonably for my well being.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:33 am UTC

As much as I have heard, comprehend, and occasionally agree with people's reasons for banning the death penalty, Warren Jeffs is my exception.
Spoiler:
I want to hang him, and child rapists like him from the nearest tree that ensures they die.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Return to “General”