Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

elminster

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby elminster » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:06 am UTC

rath358 wrote:It took them SIX YEARS to close my grandmother's estate. To say it was a huge mess would be a vast understatement.
I can envisage something like that happening in my case. When I said "and will proceed for another year", I meant to say "at least another year" because it's not even been determined which is the final legal will, let alone sale of properties and distribution.
Another down side is one of the properties is in a much sought after location, since neither family can afford to buy everyone else's share nor would be willing to share, it's probably going to get sold off at a relatively bargain price. The whole thing is already a mess and I can see it getting worse. Particular family relations are hostile at best, which is another down side since all families share a part in a family business. Other litigation maybe going on related to the family business as well. I can tell you, business meetings are pretty uncomfortable.

Chaoszerom
Like stale dumplings for breakfast

Postby Chaoszerom » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:04 am UTC

Screw you body, you do this too often. Being unable to excrete for a period (couple o' days) then giving me painful stomach cramps (I'm assuming it's my stomach) is not okay, right? Even if it happens not-too-often (once a month? give or take). Stop being a dick and work properly. Also, you know that whole being sick thing? Yeah, screw that. Good thing I'm on holidays now, else I'd be pissed off at everything.

Also, stop reading the entire Pant Thread and do something better, like making some damn music. But wait, you suck at that most of the time! Grr. Also, stop crushing. I know that it's not going to end well, consciously, so seriously, don't bother unless you're going to man up and actually do something about it.

I'm sure I have more self hate, but I can't seem to access the databanks. Perhaps I can rant about how I can't remember what I wanted to rant about, and how that's another flaw in my horrid self? It's certainly a possibility.

M.C.

Postby M.C. » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:27 pm UTC

My will is to be written in Icelandic, and both too vague and needlessly specific. ie:
"To my beloved sibling, I leave three eighths of the non-metallic items I acquired on Friday."
Nobody likes Milhouse!

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:13 pm UTC

If being really drunk is no excuse for me, then having Shark Week is no excuse for you. That's not how it works...

meridian

Postby meridian » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:20 pm UTC

I will say nothing about the situation, but felt the need to point out one flaw in the comparison. A person chooses to drink (generally speaking). One does not get to chose the organs they are born with.
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:30 pm UTC

meridian wrote:I will say nothing about the situation, but felt the need to point out one flaw in the comparison. A person chooses to drink (generally speaking). One does not get to chose the organs they are born with.

True. But normally when the girl in question has Shark Week, you don't even notice it. Let alone suddenly becoming a total bitch (like my sister is capable of, seriously :shock: ). I've known her for 2,5 years now. If you've got a problem with me, just tell me, don't pretend it was because of hormonal changes all of a sudden.

By the way, I don't want to offend anyone. Just blowing off some steam

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:10 am UTC

M.C. wrote:My will is to be written in Icelandic, and both too vague and needlessly specific. ie:
"To my beloved sibling, I leave three eighths of the non-metallic items I acquired on Friday."

If you make it too vague then I believe it becomes reasonably easy to just have the whole thing thrown out. You need to make it just confusing enough to tie up your estate forever in legal complexities, without being so off the wall crazy that it just gets completley rejected.

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:29 am UTC

I was under the impression that the terms of the will could be arbitrarily complex/crazy, provided they were specific enough to execute.

Of course, if you don't want your family to get anything, you could just donate it all to your favorite law firm and cut out the middleman.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

Postby 123 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:49 am UTC

Okay, if one second you're playfully poking me, and then the next second you're kicking me and storming off (literally, in the span of like, 10 seconds), don't ignore me when I ask you what I did so I can apologize. Ignoring me won't make anything better
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that won't stop me from secretly hating you

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:28 pm UTC

RAAAAWWRRRR.
Political angry below.
Spoiler:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/09/opinion/camp-sebelius-pill/index.html?hpt=op_t1
When the condom broke, I was barely two months past 18 and thank fucking god I was and that the pharmacist wasn't an asshole because if I had a 2 1/2 year old right now, I would be in deep shit. Fuck this anti-science bull. RAWR.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

jeorgun

Postby jeorgun » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:53 pm UTC

Give presentation on a certain passage of a book in English class.
Read a direct quote from the book, which involves a `shit field', during the presentation.
Get grade on presentation docked by ~15% for `using unprofessional language'.
Goddammit.

On the plus side, my mood has been much improved from discovering that `goddammit' is recognized as a valid word by my spellchecker.

Dason

Postby Dason » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:56 pm UTC

jeorgun wrote:Give presentation on a certain passage of a book in English class.
Read a direct quote from the book, which involves a `shit field', during the presentation.
Get grade on presentation docked by ~15% for `using unprofessional language'.
Goddammit.

On the plus side, my mood has been much improved from discovering that `goddammit' is recognized as a valid word by my spellchecker.

Did you try to talk to the teacher?
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:29 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.

Yeah, no, we're not doing this.
-B

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:45 am UTC

...wow.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:03 am UTC

You could probably add some homophobic slurs, but it would cross the barrier from "unprofessional" to "ridiculous".

I'm curious, by the way; aside from race, sexual orientation, and women, which domains have the worst words?

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:14 am UTC

Mental health, perhaps? Retard is widely considered offensive, for example, and (in English, at least) it derives from a psychiatric term. Also, crazy, stupid, moron, etc.

blag

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:42 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:You could probably add some homophobic slurs, but it would cross the barrier from "unprofessional" to "ridiculous".

I'm curious, by the way; aside from race, sexual orientation, and women, which domains have the worst words?

Think it also depends on language/culture. Here in The Netherlands. diseases are a popular degrading adjective, but 'you cancerteacher' isn't really that much used in English. And in the Arabic world, a few of the worst things you can do is hit (a portrait of) someone with your shoe or shave of their facial hair, I believe.

jeorgun

Postby jeorgun » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:50 am UTC

As it happens, I did talk to the teacher, to absolutely no avail. Apparently I should have replaced each instance of the word `shit' with `excrement' or something similar. Would've been helpful if she'd said that (or , for that matter, anything suggesting that swear words in quotes were inappropriate) beforehand...

And yeah, I suspect that insulting intellect (retard, idiot, etc.) would probably be the next worst.

Chaoszerom

Postby Chaoszerom » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:57 am UTC

Screw you weather! The one time I get to see a cool lunar event (or a cool anything event)(I don't follow lunar events much, admittedly), you have to be fucking RAINING so I can't see SHIT. I'll still be staying up for it, and undoubtedly there'll be pictures, but still, FUCK YOU. SIDEWARDS WITH A POLE AXE, if possible.

Jeorgun, that sucks. Are there any higher authorities that you can appeal to? The head of the subject, or something?

Also, another self rant: STOP trying to help people when they have problems! I know you can, but it's not good to socialness! It eventually makes you seem like a dick! Stop that! *hits self*

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:00 pm UTC

Chaoszerom wrote:Screw you weather! The one time I get to see a cool lunar event (or a cool anything event)(I don't follow lunar events much, admittedly), you have to be fucking RAINING so I can't see SHIT. I'll still be staying up for it, and undoubtedly there'll be pictures, but still, FUCK YOU. SIDEWARDS WITH A POLE AXE, if possible.

Jeorgun, that sucks. Are there any higher authorities that you can appeal to? The head of the subject, or something?

Also, another self rant: STOP trying to help people when they have problems! I know you can, but it's not good to socialness! It eventually makes you seem like a dick! Stop that! *hits self*
This is the normal experience when it comes to trying to witness that sort of thing (eclipses, meteor showers, etc). You have to be lucky to see the things :P
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Chaoszerom

Postby Chaoszerom » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:59 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
Chaoszerom wrote:Screw you weather! The one time I get to see a cool lunar event (or a cool anything event)(I don't follow lunar events much, admittedly), you have to be fucking RAINING so I can't see SHIT. I'll still be staying up for it, and undoubtedly there'll be pictures, but still, FUCK YOU. SIDEWARDS WITH A POLE AXE, if possible.

This is the normal experience when it comes to trying to witness that sort of thing (eclipses, meteor showers, etc). You have to be lucky to see the things :P

Oh, the cloud has gone away, and I'm enjoying my first astronomical event :D

However, it is odd that, above Brisbane, there's one big cumulus lump of cloud and flashes inside of it. It's been going on way too long to be fireworks yet its too colourful to be lightning. Also it looks cool and I cannot photograph.

Also my parents and 4 other friends downstairs are drunk and being loud and playing bad music LOUDLY. I am not pleased.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:36 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:'you cancerteacher'

They'd probably go for 'cancerfaggot'.
Ptolom wrote:penis

Kang

Postby Kang » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:42 pm UTC

jeorgun wrote:As it happens, I did talk to the teacher, to absolutely no avail. Apparently I should have replaced each instance of the word `shit' with `excrement' or something similar. Would've been helpful if she'd said that (or , for that matter, anything suggesting that swear words in quotes were inappropriate) beforehand...

And yeah, I suspect that insulting intellect (retard, idiot, etc.) would probably be the next worst.

Well, following her logic you might have also replaced every other word in the text then, since obviously the author didn't use any of them deliberately. Commence presentation on the chase scene with raptors on hoverboards wielding lightsabers right in the middle of Charles Dickens' Christmas Carol!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:06 pm UTC

50 megabit fiber optic broadband. One of the fastest internet connections available in this country. And it stuggles to stream things on iPlayer.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:55 pm UTC

nehpest wrote:I was under the impression that the terms of the will could be arbitrarily complex/crazy, provided they were specific enough to execute.

Of course, if you don't want your family to get anything, you could just donate it all to your favorite law firm and cut out the middleman.

I think Iain Banks (well behaved twin of Iain M Banks) suggested the concept of leaving all of your estate to each of your relatives, individually, in contradictory wills, but only if you really hate them. That way, rather than splitting the inheritance between the family it would all be wasted on legal fees fighty each other, and only because they were too greedy to sort it out amongst themselves. I think this is effectively Jarndyce v Jarndyce, but on purpose, which is deliciously evil.
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:25 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:I think this is effectively Jarndyce v Jarndyce, but on purpose, which is deliciously evil.
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2011-12-10 à 18.25.09.png

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:57 pm UTC

Right, if you want to be the cause of the longest, bloodiest, gibbiest, hattiest, and most ridiculous wars the world has ever known, go right ahead.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:27 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Right, if you want to be the cause of the longest, bloodiest, gibbiest, hattiest, and most ridiculous wars the world has ever known, go right ahead.

And that is why I'm NICE to my grandparents. :wink:
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.

emceng

Postby emceng » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:55 pm UTC

I am fairly sure icanhascheezburger has crossed the line into the realm of 'greater than 50% of the website is advertising'.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:09 pm UTC

emceng wrote:I am fairly sure icanhascheezburger has crossed the line into the realm of 'greater than 50% of the website is advertising'.

Not to mention, all the effing advertisements load before the Lolz do. :evil:

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

The I Can Has Cheezburger cat has become greedy in hir wealth.
Spoiler:

Kang

Postby Kang » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:48 pm UTC

Rant:
To quote Dilbert: I've found out what's wrong with the world. It's other people.

Chaoszerom

Postby Chaoszerom » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:49 am UTC

You have GOT to be fucking kidding me -.-

My teacher/FLL team coach was sending me a USB of all the photos he took over the Brisbane and National events. He decided to mail it, seeing as it was a lot of big files. Fair enough, I had only minor qualms about that, but nothing big. I get the envelope today. Empty. Not only that, but there is a tear around the mark where the USB was, showing that someone saw the USB shape and thought 'me wanty!' and FUCKING TAMPERED WITH MY MAIL. FUCKER. Now I have no photos and I have to explain to my coach what happened, everyone is going to be pissed off and there's NOTHING that we can do about it. Also, this USB had photos that I needed to send my friend's girlfriend for a birthday present. Now all I have is the photo of him wearing 7 hats and a jumper. *grumble*

Also, to quote Bash: <Brentai> <(^_^<) (>^_^)> It's fucking hot!

If anyone has suggestions on what the hell I CAN do, please tell.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:58 am UTC

Chaoszerom wrote:If anyone has suggestions on what the hell I CAN do, please tell.

You can go to the post office and yell at them... they probably don't even have any way of finding out who took it, so don't be hopeful for getting your drive back, or anything happening to the lowlife who took it... but if you make enough of a fuss you'll probably be able to get the price of postage/envelope refunded, and possibly the cost of a replacement drive.

The drive didn't have the only copy of the pictures, I hope...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Chaoszerom

Postby Chaoszerom » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:18 am UTC

phlip wrote:
Chaoszerom wrote:If anyone has suggestions on what the hell I CAN do, please tell.

You can go to the post office and yell at them... they probably don't even have any way of finding out who took it, so don't be hopeful for getting your drive back, or anything happening to the lowlife who took it... but if you make enough of a fuss you'll probably be able to get the price of postage/envelope refunded, and possibly the cost of a replacement drive.

The drive didn't have the only copy of the pictures, I hope...

I hope not. The coach is an IT guy so I assume he kept copies somewhere, but I could always be wrong. The postage was paid for by school, and I don't think that they will care much about the extra 50c. The flash drive was my coach's, so that might be worth recuperating but honestly they're like $10 for 4gb ones, so it's not as if losing it put him out much money wise. I'm just amazed that someone would be such a dick to steal a bloody flash drive.

EDIT: The coach is also on leave and I got an automated message back from his email. Woo.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:51 am UTC

Chaoszerom wrote:The coach is an IT guy so I assume he kept copies somewhere...

Probably 5-fold from my experience. ("On of which is at least 200 yards from any other copy in a safe.")
Ptolom wrote:penis

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:45 pm UTC

The amount of crap I'm getting for making a less-than-flattering picture my DP on Facebook is fucking killing me.

"You look retarded"
"You look like you're in rehab"
"You look like *someone raped* you" <<<< WTF?

I want to curl up and die.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:46 pm UTC

What's a DP?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:51 pm UTC

Display picture. As in profile picture.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

roband

Postby roband » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:51 pm UTC

display picture, I imagine.

Return to “General”