Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

The Scyphozoa

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:54 pm UTC

They told you not to eat for 8 hours, as in, you had an appointment, and they canceled? Fuck.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:58 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:They told you not to eat for 8 hours, as in, you had an appointment, and they canceled? Fuck.

yep, that is the point i would usually yell at them for being what they are: complete jerk-offs.

oddly, it is very difficult to get through these people's head exactly how important this was.

everyone says oh, doctors are smart. but any average person looking at this situation would think "my god, this boy is in pieces! someone help him!"

but a doctor? meh, pawn him off on someone else, i don't care.

these people have no emotions, no need to help others. they are just in it for the money.
they do not care about anyone but themselves.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:52 pm UTC

Yeah and I hear all doctors like to eat babies too :roll:

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:10 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Yeah and I hear all doctors like to eat babies too :roll:

Angry generalisations? In my rant thread? It's more likely than you think.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:10 pm UTC

Well, babies are delicious.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:27 pm UTC

Meh, they're an acquired taste. Oddly, most often acquired by spending 5 years in medical school.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:13 pm UTC

Well, when it's all they serve in med school dining halls...
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:24 pm UTC

Well, I'm a doctor, but not of medicine. Which is why I prefer to dine on kittens.
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:45 pm UTC

Well obviously not all departments can serve the same flavour of young animals, that'd be ridiculous.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:47 pm UTC

I haven't eaten any babies yet, but I have seen some preserved in formaldehyde.

Does that count?
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:52 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I haven't eaten any babies yet, but I have seen some preserved in formaldehyde.

Does that count?

You need to tell the cook he doesn't understand how pickling works.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:49 pm UTC

as much as i enjoy mocking doctor's about eating babies, this is serious. these guys are frickin evil people. any more evil and they would probably be in a hollowed out volcano stroking a hairless cat with their finger on a big red button of doom.

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:15 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:21 am UTC

I sympathise with your situation, I really do. But I've learned to be more considerate when things like that happen. You never really know why or what happened - they could have been in situations where they otherwise couldn't have travelled to their families to work on you, or had to see someone special, or something like that. I'm saying this because I'm often in that position, being in a family of doctors - it's very sad sometimes when a family member suddenly has to break off their holiday and travel back to work on someone, even though we know he/she might be saving someone's life. It's a sort of 'will your duties ever end?' thing. I know some doctors who explicitly deny non-life-threatening work when on a holiday because they say it's a 'slippery slope' - when you start doing 1 thing during your holiday, other doctors/the hospital/patients start getting used to it, requesting more and more, until you just don't have any holidays left.

Sometimes administration issues also come in - some hospitals forbid doctors who already declared a holiday to return for work, some insurance companies won't process them, or they'll have to get through a large hassle to be able to work on you.

The system is horrid all around the world, but that's how it is. I'm really sorry you had to get in that position - I'm not trying to ridicule you through this post, that injury must have been really painful. Just offering a view from the other side, if that gives you comfort or a satisfying explanation.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:13 am UTC

There's still a difference between taking time off when you really shouldn't and cancelling an appointment that you told a patient to be ready for.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:08 am UTC

Tomlidich wrote:waiting 9 days for surgery because of one teeny paperwork mishap because someone wrote down the wrong type of insurance that i did not have, went to a doctor that didn't take my insurance, and then going to other doctors who didn't wanna work on me because they were on their thanksgiving break.

I assume this means he set up an appointment with doctor A that was canceled because it turns out A doesn't accept his insurance type, and then he went to find doctors C, D and E who refused the job that day because they were on their breaks.

That would mean A is canceling because of insurance issues (somewhat acceptable, depending on the situation) and C, D and E are refusing sudden requests because they're on a break (what my previous post was about). I'm not going to discuss doctor A's case because I don't know how insurance systems work where Tom lives.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:17 am UTC

Steax, I believe that was in reference to this part:
Tomlidich wrote:the worst part is when one of them would promise me surgery, tell me to not eat or drink for 8 hours ahead of time, and then say nope, sorry, i won't do it.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:34 am UTC

Ah, I see. Yeah, that's pretty annoying. I'd like to know what the actual reason the doctor gave, though. Pretty sure nobody would just say "nope, sorry, I won't do it."

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:58 am UTC

I had an experience like that. I was trying to get a foreign object removed from my leg, which required general anaesthetic. I spent 48 FUCKING HOURS with no food, because there was first no bed, then no doctor, then no anaesthetist, then no bed again... In the end they told me they were 100% certain they could do it, but I had to wait another 12 hours for the bed to free up. I opted for local anaesthetic, which did fuck all to stop my pain, but frankly, it meant I got to eat some goddamn pizza.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:18 am UTC

Tomlidich wrote:as much as i enjoy mocking doctor's about eating babies, this is serious. these guys are frickin evil people. any more evil and they would probably be in a hollowed out volcano stroking a hairless cat with their finger on a big red button of doom.
Hairless? I thought the tradition was a long-haired white persian?

I'm going to have to rethink my friend Catherine choices now...
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:34 am UTC

Tomlidich comes from the Austin Powers school of evil villainy.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:58 am UTC

I hate it when people use the expression "good artists copy, great artists steal" as an excuse for stealing other people's stuff.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:36 am UTC

Steax wrote:I hate it when people use the expression "good artists copy, great artists steal" as an excuse for stealing other people's stuff.

Speaking of which, holy shit 9gag.
Spoiler:
If you're going to steal from a comic, it should probably be a less popular one...

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:33 pm UTC

Doubly stupid because anyone who knows xkcd will instantly recognize it, and those who don't would do just fine with the original writing. Replacing the text (which I assume would be to 'hide' the origin/make it look more original) does nothing.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:06 pm UTC

BAD GOOGLE!

I realize 99,9% of the population has never heard of FLIM, but if I use 'FLIM fluorescence' as my query DO NOT SHOW me results for 'film fluorescence'. That doesn't even make sense, since the F in FLIM stands for fluorescence. Please stop insulting my intelligence please.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:02 pm UTC

9gag:
Dafuq?

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:09 pm UTC

Steax wrote:I sympathise with your situation, I really do. But I've learned to be more considerate when things like that happen. You never really know why or what happened - they could have been in situations where they otherwise couldn't have travelled to their families to work on you, or had to see someone special, or something like that. I'm saying this because I'm often in that position, being in a family of doctors - it's very sad sometimes when a family member suddenly has to break off their holiday and travel back to work on someone, even though we know he/she might be saving someone's life. It's a sort of 'will your duties ever end?' thing. I know some doctors who explicitly deny non-life-threatening work when on a holiday because they say it's a 'slippery slope' - when you start doing 1 thing during your holiday, other doctors/the hospital/patients start getting used to it, requesting more and more, until you just don't have any holidays left.

Sometimes administration issues also come in - some hospitals forbid doctors who already declared a holiday to return for work, some insurance companies won't process them, or they'll have to get through a large hassle to be able to work on you.

The system is horrid all around the world, but that's how it is. I'm really sorry you had to get in that position - I'm not trying to ridicule you through this post, that injury must have been really painful. Just offering a view from the other side, if that gives you comfort or a satisfying explanation.

there lies the problem.

the attitude that "someone else will take care of it"

if we had some kind of holiday system, so some of the doctors were on shift, and others were on holiday, we would not have this problem. then the next holiday that comes up, your rotate out and the doctors that were on shift are now on holiday.

also i have a problem with being refused for 9 days for a holiday that takes only one to celebrate.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:14 pm UTC

Tomlidich wrote:
Steax wrote:I sympathise with your situation, I really do. But I've learned to be more considerate when things like that happen. You never really know why or what happened - they could have been in situations where they otherwise couldn't have travelled to their families to work on you, or had to see someone special, or something like that. I'm saying this because I'm often in that position, being in a family of doctors - it's very sad sometimes when a family member suddenly has to break off their holiday and travel back to work on someone, even though we know he/she might be saving someone's life. It's a sort of 'will your duties ever end?' thing. I know some doctors who explicitly deny non-life-threatening work when on a holiday because they say it's a 'slippery slope' - when you start doing 1 thing during your holiday, other doctors/the hospital/patients start getting used to it, requesting more and more, until you just don't have any holidays left.

there lies the problem.

if we had some kind of holiday system, so some of the doctors were on shift, and others were on holiday, we would not have this problem. then the next holiday that comes up, your rotate out and the doctors that were on shift are now on holiday.

also i have a problem with being refused for 9 days for a holiday that takes only one to celebrate.
Maybe you should try blaming the administrators for some of the problem instead of declaring all doctors evil.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:21 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
Tomlidich wrote:

there lies the problem.

Maybe you should try blaming the administrators for some of the problem instead of declaring all doctors evil.

well that would only be half the problem.

you also have the doctors that are collecting money given to them by insurance, and still not doing anything.

i had one doctor tell me to my face that he took my insurance, was capable of operating on this injury, but did not want to do it. he wasn't even one that was on vacation either. he was just damned lazy and greedy.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:35 pm UTC

Yeah, if there were no doctors the world would be such a better place. :roll:
-Adam

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:14 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:Yeah, if there were no doctors the world would be such a better place. :roll:

Exactly nobody has said that, so.... yeah.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:32 pm UTC

If there were no doctors, the world would be such a better place.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:41 pm UTC

If there was no anything, the universe would be way better and more organized.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:56 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:If there was no anything, the universe would be way better and more organized.

I'd prefer, like, one neutron floating in space. It'd be so elegant.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:05 pm UTC

OK, to flesh out my snarky comment from earlier into something a bit more rant-astic and coherent:
Tomlidich wrote:as much as i enjoy mocking doctor's about eating babies, this is serious. these guys are frickin evil people. any more evil and they would probably be in a hollowed out volcano stroking a hairless cat with their finger on a big red button of doom.
I get the rage. When people have power over you, they should always be nice and responsible and ethical. When they are horrible to you, it's horrible.

But this isn't a doctor problem, it's a people problem. Every profession employs people that will screw you over if it's convenient for them. In my experience doctors are no worse than any other random subset of people.
-Adam

yurell

Postby yurell » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:26 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I'd prefer, like, one neutron floating in space. It'd be so elegant.

Until it decays and you're left with a proton, an electron and an anti-electron neutrino. What then?!
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:43 pm UTC

Hooray, unpaid overtime! Oh wai,t, did I say 'hooray'? I meant 'Fuck you'. Someone else's problem results in me spending an extra 2 hours at work tonight, and possibly every night through Thursday.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:43 am UTC

One of the light covers in my bathroom randomly fell off the ceiling and shattered all over the floor. First of all, I have no idea how it could have happened (I was asleep and woke up to the sound of the glass shattering) and second, I doubt my apartment managers are going to believe me!
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:11 am UTC

If it was the kind that's held on by three or four small screws, they might have been too tight. It puts pressure on the glass globe, putting small cracks in it after a while and the lip chips at the screws and wheee! down goes the cover. It happened at my parents' house once while my mom was standing under the light and the globe fell on her head. The globe didn't break and she was unhurt, so it was hilarious.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:17 am UTC

Yeah, that's the kind of cover it was.

It scared the shit out of me when it happened. I was asleep at the time, and I awoke to the sound of shattering glass and thought someone had broken into my apartment.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Return to “General”