Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Angua » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:18 am UTC

Who does that? It seems really unfair - what if there was something that stopped the contact from going through (lost in the post, email down for a bit, etc).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:56 pm UTC

Fucks sake, another rejection letter! I need to get out of this job. All I need is an interview then I can shine. Bah.
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:43 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:The system of "only successful applicants will be contacted" seems to be rampantly applied to the point of assume so unless otherwise stated. And it's almost heartbreaking. I took the time to do the reconnaissance, prepare an application and deliver it personally. I know I'm not a great candidate and you probably found someone better, but at least be polite enough to send a short message so I can stop pondering about you.

I agree! Especially for someplace where I had to register through a lengthy process on their website and I keep getting emails about jobs I am "qualified" for but no responses at all about all the things I apply for.

It's so discouraging to send off 20 resumes and not get a response at all.

*crickets*
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:38 pm UTC

It's all about Nepotism, in my experience :(.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:43 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:It's all about Nepotism, in my experience :(.

As someone who is conducting interviews right now - no. Hell, I'd love to find a qualified, experienced candidate. I'd like it if one even applied. Instead we get people who are extremely experienced, but at something different. Or some experience in this field, but it's 10 years out of date. Or just are looking for a job, and have worked in a somewhat related field, so they send in their resume.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:03 pm UTC

And a huge pile of incoming resumes generates the feeling of false wealth -- that, with 1000 resumes, there must be one that is perfect. If we just wait for the next batch. If we just look through this pile a bit better, we'll find that diamond who perfectly matches our needs.

Then there will be no need to train the person, get them up to speed, or otherwise invest in an employee.

Much like online dating -- the impression that there are plenty of fish means that there is a better fish. So you get into the habit of saying "I'll try the next one, maybe that one will be more perfect".

In a situation where there is a shortage of workers and a surplus of jobs, the resume flood is less. So you take what you can get, and you don't think "maybe I should try the next one, instead of this one", because you have a fear that this one might be your best choice.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:39 pm UTC

Yeah - a lot of positions just have so many applicants, especially in a downturn, that it's just not feasible to review every single one in detail. You need to cull off a significant proportion without really spending time looking at them, so stuff like spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, incorrect 'tone' can just get your CV instantly binned. I know my sister was told when applying to top law firms out of law school that they have a policy of not considering any candidate that makes a spelling mistake in their CV.
Menacing Spike wrote:It's all about Nepotism, in my experience :(.

It's not all about nepotism, of course, but it does help, at least as far as getting your foot in the door - if you or a family member are good friends and/or related to a manager in a company that's hiring, you can normally at least bypass the 'pre-selection' bit and get to the interview stage. Shortly after I got my current job confirmed (not started yet, but I had the contract signed), I ran into one of my father's friends from work and he pretty much outright offered me a job.

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:48 am UTC

When the political phone calls start out saying "It's me again, I know we've been calling a lot but we just wanted to remind you..." Why don't you take your own hint and stop fucking calling.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:27 am UTC

jawdisorder wrote:When the political phone calls start out saying "It's me again, I know we've been calling a lot but we just wanted to remind you..." Why don't you take your own hint and stop fucking calling.

This makes me so glad I don't have a landline.

The fuck is up with teachers just up and leaving the classes and saying "I don't feel like teaching today so eff off"? I'm paying approximately $60 PER HOUR OF CLASS! Don't fucking shortchange me, asshole! I'm trying to learn something here!
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:02 pm UTC

Guess it doesn't count as cheating if you aren't in the same country. Sigh. I was gonna marry you too. Guess now I got plenty of alcohol money.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:39 pm UTC

Ouch man. That sucks. *Internet hugs* :(
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

Garm

Postby Garm » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:04 pm UTC

Gears wrote:Guess it doesn't count as cheating if you aren't in the same country. Sigh. I was gonna marry you too. Guess now I got plenty of alcohol money.

In my book, cheating is cheating, doesn't matter what country it happened in. My sympathies. :(
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

dhokarena56

Postby dhokarena56 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:55 am UTC

Gears wrote:Guess it doesn't count as cheating if you aren't in the same country. Sigh. I was gonna marry you too. Guess now I got plenty of alcohol money.

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry. That must be absolutely heart-breaking, and I can only suggest that you try and go easy on the booze.

Or not. If I had to think of a situation in which alcoholism was justified, this might well be the one.

Just do try to remember that no boy, or girl, can change your worth. It's an incredibly important thing to remember.

And here are some internet hugs. As many as you would like.
Come join Dadapedia- the open-source Dadaist novel that anyone can edit.

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:25 pm UTC

Cathy wrote:
jawdisorder wrote:When the political phone calls start out saying "It's me again, I know we've been calling a lot but we just wanted to remind you..." Why don't you take your own hint and stop fucking calling.

They call my cell, which they're actually allowed to do. Yeah. I love when I get a call from a possible important-looking number, run outside the office to get reception, and it's a recording of a local pol.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:36 pm UTC

gorcee wrote:
Cathy wrote:

They call my cell, which they're actually allowed to do. Yeah. I love when I get a call from a possible important-looking number, run outside the office to get reception, and it's a recording of a local pol.

So I got a call this morning from a number that looked like my parents (it was one number off) and I rushed out of class only to pick it up and find out it's.... AN AMBULANCE CHASER? Really!? For Christ's sake.

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:53 am UTC

So my housemate decided to throw a kegger today. He decided this yesterday. He also says that housemates don't drink free. We also have exams starting soon. So not only do I get loud noisy people while I'm trying to study, I can't even take part in the drinking without either tapping into my own meagre supply or paying. Thanks housemate.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:55 am UTC

torontoraptor wrote:So my housemate decided to throw a kegger today. He decided this yesterday. He also says that housemates don't drink free. We also have exams starting soon. So not only do I get loud noisy people while I'm trying to study, I can't even take part in the drinking without either tapping into my own meagre supply or paying. Thanks housemate.
"How about no?"
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:04 pm UTC

Take the tap from the keg when no one's looking.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:13 am UTC

My nose is all stuffed up. :(

I hope it's not like this during my six hours of flying tomorrow.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:47 am UTC

Take some strong allergy meds (sudafed if you're stuffed up, benadryl I find is better if your nose is running). I tend to find allergy medication is a lot more effective than stuff marketed for colds (maybe because I rarely have a fever).

It helps for diving, so flying should work too.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:59 pm UTC

torontoraptor wrote:So my housemate decided to throw a kegger today. He decided this yesterday. He also says that housemates don't drink free. We also have exams starting soon. So not only do I get loud noisy people while I'm trying to study, I can't even take part in the drinking without either tapping into my own meagre supply or paying. Thanks housemate.

Really? If you're buying booze to be shared and you want money back on it I really think the best options are either getting the people you intend to share with to chip in for it or to have an honesty box. Charging up-front sounds a bit... well, dickish to me.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:35 pm UTC

Three hours of sleep.

It Should Be Real
Ninja Sauce Container

Postby It Should Be Real » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:50 pm UTC

That doesn't sound like enough hours. That doesn't sound like enough hours at all.

darknut

Postby darknut » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:57 pm UTC

yes, more hours are better. definitetly need more hours
poxic wrote: Take a source of light and cook it up until it lases -- now you have a laser.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:25 pm UTC

It Should Be Real wrote:That doesn't sound like enough hours. That doesn't sound like enough hours at all.

It Should Be More.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:34 pm UTC

It Should Be Real wrote:That doesn't sound like enough hours. That doesn't sound like enough hours at all.

Well, you think so, and I think so... but my body seems to have disagreed.

This act of rebellion will not go unpunished!

onjenae

Postby onjenae » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:48 am UTC

OKAY SINCE WE ARE RANTING

im tired of this nonsense white men and women keep spewing about a post racial america when it s a fact of life that whites and miniorties get treated way different in this country. First in the past six months several white police officers have been caught on tape beating down unarmed black men for no reson. Then in january or feburary of 2012 a white policer got caught planting evidence on a black man on tape. Mind you in the black community we have been saying this for years but now that they cuaght this motherfucker on tape they still didnt throw his ass in jail. The travyon martin case was the last straw for blacks and I honestly feel that alot of race tension is goping on. Nobody would be defending zimmerman if he was a blackman nor would anyo f the dumbass arguements would be made. On top of that in the past three weeks white cops have shot down more unarmed black men and nobody seems to be outraged. As a black /latina woman Im tired of whites harassing blacks, im tired of unarmed black men getting gunned down by white males, im tired of white men saying racism is dead yet whites are still committing hate crimes in 2012 .................im just fucking angry got calm down lol

just had to let that out

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:08 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:My nose is all stuffed up. :(

I hope it's not like this during my six hours of flying tomorrow.

Just being back in Vegas has cleared my sinuses! Huzzah!
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:16 am UTC

onjenae wrote:Stuff about racism

Hello. There's a safespace thread for people of colour on the fora. Hope that helps you whenever you want to rant more about such things and/or just need comfort from people who would understand.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:37 pm UTC

A guy takes a sip of coffee. FUCK YOU. SLURP SLURP, YOU NOISY FUCK.

Someone next to me breathes audibly. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU.

No one asks me how I'm doing. HEARTLESS SELFISH FUCKERS.

Someone asks me how I'm doing. WHAT DO YOU CARE. ASSHOLE.

I might be irritable today.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:03 pm UTC

Jave D wrote:A guy takes a sip of coffee. FUCK YOU. SLURP SLURP, YOU NOISY FUCK.

Allie blogged about that.
Ptolom wrote:penis

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:17 am UTC

I Am Raven wrote:
Jave D wrote:A guy takes a sip of coffee. FUCK YOU. SLURP SLURP, YOU NOISY FUCK.

Allie blogged about that.

That is certainly my favorite.

I'm also sad because she hasn't posted something since October. :(

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:29 am UTC

I still check everyday, but my hope is fading. The only thing I cling to is the infallable belief that one day she will write another blog entry, but I dare not speculate on how long from now that will be...

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:37 am UTC

I think she may have stopped posting stuff because she's still working on her book.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:52 am UTC

Oh right, the book! How inconsiderate of me.

Oh right, let's stay on topic:
I HATE... ehhmm... yes! I HATE HOW THE YOGHURT AND MILK CARTONS THAT I BUY LOOK SO MUCH ALIKE! I MIXED MY MUESLI WITH THE LAST BIT OF MILK I HAD LEFT, AND THE REST WITH YOGHURT BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS MILK AND NOW MY BREAKFAST IS DISGUSTING BUT I DON'T WANT TO THROW IT AWAY BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE A WASTE!

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:17 am UTC

Here's a post she made recently on Reddir regarding why she didn't update anymore.
http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comme ... ith_allie/
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:23 am UTC

The corner of my eyelid has been kinda twitchy on and off for DAYS.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:42 pm UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:The corner of my eyelid has been kinda twitchy on and off for DAYS.

You need more potassium! Eat a banana!
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:48 pm UTC

So apparently I can go rock climbing and feel great, but situps? Those are way too strenuous. I pulled something in my shoulder. So very little sleep, and now any time I move in certain ways, I get stabbing pain.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:50 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:Here's a post she made recently on Reddir regarding why she didn't update anymore.
http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comme ... ith_allie/

I thought the depression post was just a call to all those who have random depressions without any diagnosis. still I wish for a post or two in her blog...

I have nothing to really rant about, so Hi guys.

Return to “General”