Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:33 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:Also it's not for everyone. Therapy didn't do shit in my case.

So, if you take your car to a shitty mechanic and the shitty mechanic can't fix the problem, it doesn't mean the notion of car repair is bullshit - it means you had a shitty mechanic and perhaps shopping around for a different one is a good idea.

/Just sayin'
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:45 pm UTC

There are some things even the best mechanic can't fix, though.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:48 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Menacing Spike wrote:Also it's not for everyone. Therapy didn't do shit in my case.

So, if you take your car to a shitty mechanic and the shitty mechanic can't fix the problem, it doesn't mean the notion of car repair is bullshit - it means you had a shitty mechanic and perhaps shopping around for a different one is a good idea.

/Just sayin'

Or after seeing a few mechanics, you admit the car is fucked and start pushing it around.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:00 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

/Just sayin'

There's a lot of bullshit in therapy though. It's only recently (and I mean, like the last few decades) its people have started basing therapy on scientific evidence. Freud, while he did a lot to advance the field, also left it in a rather unfortunate place that it has taken ages to get out of. I'm not saying everything he came up with was bullshit, only large portions of it. And it's still sadly flaunted as truth.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:12 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:

/Just sayin'

There's a lot of bullshit in therapy though. It's only recently (and I mean, like the last few decades) its people have started basing therapy on scientific evidence. Freud, while he did a lot to advance the field, also left it in a rather unfortunate place that it has taken ages to get out of. I'm not saying everything he came up with was bullshit, only large portions of it. And it's still sadly flaunted as truth.

You're just saying that because you want to sleep with your mom.

/reclines in armchair-psychologist armchair

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:15 am UTC

Shivahn wrote:Zis is just somting that you are saying because you vud like to sleep vit your muzzer.

/reclines in armchair-psychologist armchair
Apologies.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:08 am UTC

Freud is not flaunted as truth. It is a much more common opinion among psychologists that it's a deep misfortune that philosophers or other folks in other disciplines still pay attention to someone so resoundingly discredited.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:55 pm UTC

Yesterday I got a small job (yay!), this morning I gave my email address to the woman who is supposed to send me the file I need to work on, this evening I realised I couldn't remember the password at all and I think my account may be quite fucked. I had to ask her to send it to a different address, I feel like an ass.

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:33 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

/Just sayin'

Yes.
I went to two therapists who didn't do shit in my case, either. I started thinking that the whole therapy thing is bullshit, etc, but after a certain series of events, I decided to visit a third therapist. She definitely does wonders for me. :wink:

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:27 am UTC

Yeah, even though I've had several (online) friends rant about how terrible therapists are, I can't help but think talking to somebody about stuff generally makes a problem easier to solve/bear than if I keep it to myself, and if that somebody has got a little bit of education on the topic as well that's probably not a bad thing.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:43 am UTC

The traffic light at biggest intersection in town is not working? Well OK, shit happens and whatnot. It's taking more than a full day to fix for some reason? Alright, I'm not an expert on traffic light repair, I guess it's just a really big problem. But when it's the middle of the fucking day and you don't have a traffic cop out, instead opting for the "world's largest 4-way stop sign cluster-fuck" method of traffic management, I just can't help but think that you people don't really know how to run a city.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Garm

Postby Garm » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:59 pm UTC

folkhero wrote:The traffic light at biggest intersection in town is not working? Well OK, shit happens and whatnot. It's taking more than a full day to fix for some reason? Alright, I'm not an expert on traffic light repair, I guess it's just a really big problem. But when it's the middle of the fucking day and you don't have a traffic cop out, instead opting for the "world's largest 4-way stop sign cluster-fuck" method of traffic management, I just can't help but think that you people don't really know how to run a city.

Man, that sucks. No one knows what to do when the light is out. Turns into a stop sign you morons. Of course no one knows how to properly use a stop sign either so even knowing that doesn't help. People are idiots.

For my own rant.... If you're going to write a test covering an input, please have the verification cover a related output. I'm looking at things on the order of "make a call to the phone and see if the voice mail icon appear. Has the declination of the orbit of the moon in relation to the Earth changed? No? The test passes." Wtf are you thinking?!?
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:36 pm UTC

Garm wrote:
folkhero wrote:The traffic light at biggest intersection in town is not working? Well OK, shit happens and whatnot. It's taking more than a full day to fix for some reason? Alright, I'm not an expert on traffic light repair, I guess it's just a really big problem. But when it's the middle of the fucking day and you don't have a traffic cop out, instead opting for the "world's largest 4-way stop sign cluster-fuck" method of traffic management, I just can't help but think that you people don't really know how to run a city.

Man, that sucks. No one knows what to do when the light is out. Turns into a stop sign you morons. Of course no one knows how to properly use a stop sign either so even knowing that doesn't help. People are idiots.
It is really hard to determine right of way when there are 10 lanes of approaching traffic to the intersection (3 from each direction on the larger road, 2 each for the other)

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:41 pm UTC

It really doesn't inspire confidance when the website for a VPN service goes down just as I'm in process of setting up an account. I was one click away from paying when it happened, but I think I'll look elsewhere.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:46 pm UTC

Garm wrote:

The drivers were actually doing a decent job of figuring out the right-of-way, it's just that as a stop sign intersection, it can only handle 2 or 3 cars in the intersection at one time. When we are talking about the intersection of the two largest roads in town, there is no way that it doesn't end up with giant back-ups.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:18 am UTC

Spoilered for egoistic, highly emotional rant about failing an exam and consequently feeling like a failure.
Spoiler:
AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry:

COMPLETELY fucked up an exam today. An exam for which I thoroughly prepared, and because of which I didn't study some other things.
I made a gazillion mistakes. Ranging from incorrectly solving some 3x3 determinants in vector analysis, over completely overseeing some things in relativistic mechanics, to writing arccos(1)=pi/2. :shock:
I'd know that arccos(1)=0 if you'd wake me in the middle of the fucking night, BUT APPARENTLY NOT ON MY EXAM, WHERE I'M SUPPOSED TO DEMONSTRATE THAT FUCKING KNOWLEDGE.

I feel completely devastated.
And I've let myself down badly.
I admit, I even worry about what the prof thinks of me now. I mean, I've already fucked up one colloquium from his subject, fucked up when we repeated that colloquium, and now this. On the other hand, he seems to be very fond of my boyfriend. I don't want him to think I'm some stupid girlfriend who tries to be good at physics but MAJORLY SUCKS. I don't want him to think that I'm a worse future physicist than him.
I feel totally fucked up. I know I shouldn't give a rats ass about what the prof. thinks, but it's hard for me not to. It's that comparing-myself-with-SO problem.

Damn.
I have two exams left, and haven't actually worked much for them, because of this exam. I'd like to to them well but I highly doubt that's possible. I hate myself right now, I feel like a fuckup, like now matter how much I work its not going to be enough. And I also feel as if there's no future in physics for me. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:42 pm UTC

bluebambue wrote:
Garm wrote:

It is really hard to determine right of way when there are 10 lanes of approaching traffic to the intersection (3 from each direction on the larger road, 2 each for the other)

Only when people are working in opposition of each other, rather than working together to get through a difficult situation - everyone should roll up and stop at the line at roughly the same time in roughly the same spot. When there's multiple lanes, I don't give a shit if you're turning right (or left for you leftlane drivers) you wait for your side's turn. Turn order should proceed in a clockwise fashion, with it being irrelevant if you pulled up to the line .2 seconds earlier than someone to your right. And you sure as hell don't keep edging out in anticipation of your turn.

But, of course, people are jerkasses and basically ignore all of that and just sorta lunge out there whenever they can.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:45 pm UTC

Is clockwise a standard thing?

In the UK, standard traffic light order tends to be side 1 -> the side opposite to side 1 -> a random choice of one of the two remaining -> the final side, not yet chosen.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:47 pm UTC

Americans have 4 way stop signs, which always work clockwise. So if a traffic light isn't working, they'd just default to that.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:02 pm UTC

roband wrote:Is clockwise a standard thing?

In the UK, standard traffic light order tends to be side 1 -> the side opposite to side 1 -> a random choice of one of the two remaining -> the final side, not yet chosen.

It is here. Sorta. Actually, it should be counter-clockwise, as traffic defaults TO the right, not from the right (That is, if you and another vehicle approach a 4 way intersection and stop at the same time, the car on the right goes first. If there is no car on the right, then the car going straight goes first if the other car is turning across the oncoming lane, otherwise they both go at the same time.) but most stop signs and such end up being clockwise for some wacky reason.

Also, we view Roundabouts as demonic voodoo and do our best to not only never build them, but when we're forced to do so we put them on roads seldom used that are then bypassed by the locals as it's "too confusing". Or we make them safe by putting stoplights on them.

So we have an uncountably large number of 4 way intersections, a surprising number of 5 way intersections, and I've heard rumors of six and seven way intersections.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:12 pm UTC

Yo dawg, I heard you liked roundabouts...

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:08 am UTC

Getting sick again. Same crap as just a few weeks ago. (I'm sure I panted about that then too. If not, consider this my attempt to make up for lack of panting.)

School starts monday, making it rather poorly timed (not that there is ever a really good time to feel like this).

I think a bobcat or skunk is doing something nasty outside. I can only barely smell it due to runny nose but I'm sure the stench of whatever that noxious gaseous substance is is making it worse.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:34 pm UTC

The right headphone on my headphones is being really temperamental, so I will have to buy new ones. I am pretty sure I have nobody to blame but myself (I tend to hold the lead leading to the right headphone in my teeth, I guess I have damaged the wire inside doing so) and that just makes me madder about it.
Now I have to finish my work with my earphones, like some kind of chump.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:54 pm UTC

roband wrote:Yo dawg, I heard you liked roundabouts...

I had to navigate that a couple of times last year. Just seeing a picture of that fucker again sends shivers down my spine.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:32 pm UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:I tend to hold the lead leading to the right headphone in my teeth

Yuck much? :P

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:41 pm UTC

PerchloricAcid wrote:
TimelordSimone wrote:I tend to hold the lead leading to the right headphone in my teeth

Yuck much? :P

I've had far grosser things in my mouth.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:54 am UTC

Yeah, but usually experiencing something worse than X doesn't make X worth experiencing if it isn't pleasant itself.
How did you come up with his habit?

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:19 am UTC

PerchloricAcid wrote:Yeah, but usually experiencing something worse than X doesn't make X worth experiencing if it isn't pleasant itself.

Yeah, but if I don't find X unpleasant in the first place, it's not really an issue for me (broken headphones notwithstanding).
(Also you are right, I loathe the 'Y is worse than X therefore X is fine' argument, and I need to stop making it myself.)
PerchloricAcid wrote:How did you come up with his habit?

I don't know exactly. I've always tended to fiddle with things, but working as a typist doesn't leave any hands free with which to do so. Hence: using my teeth to fiddle with something that is near my face anyway, I guess.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

adho

Postby adho » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:32 am UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:I don't know exactly. I've always tended to fiddle with things, but working as a typist doesn't leave any hands free with which to do so. Hence: using my teeth to fiddle with something that is near my face anyway, I guess.

I do this exact same thing, all the time. It's probably bad for the lead, but you pick up on cracks in the insulation. Ugh, that copper taste.

Pant:
If the exam starts at 1:50, say it starts at 1:50. Don't say it starts at 2 when reading time starts at 1:50. THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT EASIER TO REMEMBER. NOW I AM ALL CONFUSED.
I've realised this, but I don't think half the course will. grumblegrumblegrumble

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:14 am UTC

Why is it near impossible to find short grain printer paper anywhere? I found some nice silk paper at some little bookbinding merchant somewhere on the internet, but apparently it's so nice and smooth the pages stick together. Google gives me a gazillion glossary terms telling me exactly what short grain paper is, and you even find admonishments by printer manufacturers not to use it because it can cause problems, but you can't actually find the stuff so that you can laugh in the face of your printer manufacturer and use it anyway. Dangit, I want to print books :(

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:37 am UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:I don't know exactly. I've always tended to fiddle with things, but working as a typist doesn't leave any hands free with which to do so. Hence: using my teeth to fiddle with something that is near my face anyway, I guess.

Oh, I see now. I'm a fiddlist (:D) also, and luckily I always have a free hand. If I didn't have the option of using one of my hands to fiddle with random stuff, I guess I'd chew a lot of chewing gum.

As for the ranty part of my post, I wish it was easier for me to wake up early. It's almost 2PM now, and I woke up half an hour earlier, and must study A LOT. But the thought of 8PM being only 6hrs apart from this moment makes me feel bad :? :(

PurplePenguin

Postby PurplePenguin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:37 am UTC

Why why whyyy can't I just be an emotionless cold hearted robot? It would make some things so much easier!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:21 pm UTC

It makes other things harder. Beep boop boop beep.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:07 pm UTC

Fuck, I may have termites in my house. I wonder what my insurance covers if the fucking place collapses.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

PurplePenguin

Postby PurplePenguin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:10 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:It makes other things harder. Beep boop boop beep.

But I'd be able to dance!

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:14 pm UTC

You can dance if you want to.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:17 pm UTC

PurplePenguin wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:It makes other things harder. Beep boop boop beep.

But I'd be able to dance!
Only one. And David Elsewhere still does it better than you.

Seriously, though. Emotionally deadening yourself does make certain things easier, but it makes other things a lot more difficult. And the things it made easier ... well, still need to be dealt with, as the emotionally dead response is to basically ignore it until it goes away. Some things don't go away, and just wait around until you ever decide that those "Feeling" things may have a use.

And by then you're so out of practice that it's harder than it would have been the first time around.

But... yeah, it does have it's attractions.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:23 pm UTC

poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:24 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
roband wrote:Yo dawg, I heard you liked roundabouts...

I had to navigate that a couple of times last year. Just seeing a picture of that fucker again sends shivers down my spine.

I don't know what is worse, the fact that this actually exists or that it is not the scariest junction in Britan!
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:30 pm UTC

Diemo wrote:I don't know what is worse, the fact that this actually exists or that it is not the scariest junction in Britan!

Um. If there is a worse junction in Britain, wouldn't that be worse sort of by definition?
Have you given up?

Return to “General”