Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

gorcee
Posts: 1501
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby gorcee » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

Is there no civilized way to eat a muffin in the proximity of a keyboard? Is there no way?

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:55 pm UTC

Depends on the muffin. If it's super-crumbly, then you're out of luck.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:59 pm UTC

I find it best to focus on breaking it into bite-size chunks, along natural fault lines.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:48 pm UTC

I keep hallucinating something is moving just out of my field of vision. Either The Flash is pranking me, or it's a new and exciting way my brain is fucking with me.

edit: also almost collapsed in the stairs out of suddenly not wanting to bother staying upright, thanks brain
Last edited by Menacing Spike on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:11 am UTC
Location: America's Hat

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby ShootTheChicken » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:09 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:I keep hallucinating something is moving just out of my field of vision. Either The Flash is pranking me, or it's a new and exciting way my brain is fucking with me.


I get this occasionally. Also, when I have headphones on I regularly have auditory hallucinations of people calling my name.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:20 pm UTC

DUDE
ME TOO

Well, only with certain sounds coming through the headphones. Like, you know the music that plays in Skyrim every time you absorb a dragon soul or learn a new word of power? I hear my mom's voice in that, EVERY TIME. It took me about 20 dragons before I started ignoring it.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
Adam H
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Adam H » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:40 pm UTC

gorcee wrote:Is there no civilized way to eat a muffin in the proximity of a keyboard? Is there no way?

Open wide and stuff it in all at once. We might need to define "civilized", actually... :P
-Adam

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby emceng » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:04 pm UTC

Well the weather has defeated me. I am going out to buy an air conditioner after work.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:14 pm UTC

Where is this place where you don't need an air conditioner until the middle of July? I WANT TO GO TO THERE.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

User avatar
ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:11 am UTC
Location: America's Hat

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby ShootTheChicken » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:36 pm UTC

We haven't turned the air conditioning on all year yet as financial hardship has made it too expensive. That's where fans and/or a basement come in handy.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

User avatar
Zarq
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm UTC
Location: Third Rock from Earth's Yellow Sun

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Zarq » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:41 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:Where is this place where you don't need an air conditioner until the middle of July? I WANT TO GO TO THERE.


Belgium. You 'need' an airconditioning maybe three days a year. You would probably even find it a bit chilly on those days.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

User avatar
suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?
Posts: 2575
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:01 am UTC
Location: da aina
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:46 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:Where is this place where you don't need an air conditioner until the middle of July? I WANT TO GO TO THERE.

hawaii?
ImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:35 pm UTC
Location: Middletown, RI

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Isaac Hill » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:28 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:Where is this place where you don't need an air conditioner until the middle of July? I WANT TO GO TO THERE.
I've been living in my house in RI, USA for 5 years without AC. I'm near the ocean, which helps a little, and there's AC at work. A coworker gave me his old AC when he moved away, but it won't fit in any of the windows in the rooms I use frequently, and I doubt it'd cool the whole house from the guest bedroom. I've been thinking about getting estimates for central AC.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Steax » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:50 am UTC

Dear parents: "oh, he threw rocks at your cat? Well, he's just 11, it's natural" is NOT a justification for your child. Being a minor doesn't give him the right to be an asshole. If anything, it gives you, the parent, responsibility for whatever he or she does. I won't take them seriously like I would an adult, but that doesn't make them any less wrong. Your kid won't automatically mature upon hitting 17 years of the moment they popped out into the world. Teach them.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby emceng » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:44 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:Where is this place where you don't need an air conditioner until the middle of July? I WANT TO GO TO THERE.


I have central air. But it doesn't work. What it does do is leak water in my basement, which proceeds to run across the floor into a closet. Then sit there and grow mold.

And previous years I haven't had an issue without it, as only a few days were too horrible. This year, no. Even my basement has been too hot. Last night it finally cooled off a bit, but it's supposed to be up over 90 again today.

Having major issues finding a unit. Either they're the tiny units, or they won't fit in my window.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

gorcee
Posts: 1501
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby gorcee » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:25 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Dear parents: "oh, he threw rocks at your cat? Well, he's just 11, it's natural"


"Yeah, he's 11, not 2. Start being fucking parents, you assclowns, before I forget all the lessons my parents taught me and start throwing rocks at you" is exactly what I would say if I caught someone's kid hurling rocks at my cats.

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:40 pm UTC

gorcee wrote:
Steax wrote:Dear parents: "oh, he threw rocks at your cat? Well, he's just 11, it's natural"


"Yeah, he's 11, not 2. Start being fucking parents, you assclowns, before I forget all the lessons my parents taught me and start throwing rocks at you" is exactly what I would say if I caught someone's kid hurling rocks at my cats.


Heh. One of the kids who lives down my street I caught throwing rocks at my dog. I marched him back to his parent's house, explained what happened, and let them know that if he did it again, I was going to let my dog off his leash (he's a 110+ lb German Shepherd/Blue tick hound mix).
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

JudeMorrigan
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:26 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:59 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:Where is this place where you don't need an air conditioner until the middle of July? I WANT TO GO TO THERE.

I grew up in central Florida in a house with no (working) A/C. You'd think that that'd mean I'd be perfectly fine with miserably hot temperatures. Nope. I am SOOO over living in the deep South.

User avatar
Garm
Posts: 2241
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:29 pm UTC
Location: Usually at work. Otherwise, Longmont, CO.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Garm » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:24 pm UTC

gorcee wrote:
Steax wrote:Dear parents: "oh, he threw rocks at your cat? Well, he's just 11, it's natural"


"Yeah, he's 11, not 2. Start being fucking parents, you assclowns, before I forget all the lessons my parents taught me and start throwing rocks at you" is exactly what I would say if I caught someone's kid hurling rocks at my cats.


Dude, my two year old knows better than to throw rocks at things. Maybe things will change in nine years (I'll let you know :D) but as is, he only throws rocks into streams and lakes. People are terrible.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

User avatar
RollingHead
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:47 pm UTC
Location: Italy

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby RollingHead » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:57 pm UTC

The forum won't let me reply to another post, wondering if it's thread-specific. Also ranting about it.

PerchloricAcid
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:09 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby PerchloricAcid » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:28 pm UTC

I should be studying. I have an exam in Monday; if I don't show up or fail it, I'll be having it in mid-September.
I'm planning a trip with my partner in mid-September.
Instead of studying, I'm looking for places to visit, which may lead to me failing the exam in Monday and not travelling in September.
I'm in a really ranty mood and I don't feel like studying at all. :(

User avatar
Jave D
chavey-dee
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Jave D » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:35 pm UTC

A while ago roomie lost his wallet, and assumed it was stolen. Then my netbook was stolen for about a week. He found his wallet shortly later, and after my computer mysteriously returned. No explanation.

My keyboard has glue in some of the upper keys; they work, but one key in particular makes a crunchy, sticky sound whenever pressed or depressed now. No explanation.

But the other night he turned to me out of the blue and asked where his phone was, the accusation rather implicit, before whoops he found it on the floor by his bed a moment later.

Today I found that 5 pages from my new copy of House of Leaves went missing. Not like, not printed or something; the bits of the pages are still there, like ripped out.

Right now roomie is drilling and hammering, putting a lock onto his night stand.

It seems to be an issue where he loses things, and then assumes I stole them, and retaliates all passive-aggressively. This is not what I fucking need to be dealing with in my sobriety. I think I'll just make it all easier and move my keyboard and books into storage and keep my computer in my car. Spartanism ftw.

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:38 pm UTC

Weird stuff starts happening, and then you mention House of Leaves? Sounds like a good start to a creepypasta.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
Obby
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Obby » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:52 pm UTC

Steam games are taking all the money away that I should be spending on books that I need to replace.

Like House of Leaves. Damn that was a great book.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

User avatar
Julian Bashir
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:11 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Julian Bashir » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:47 pm UTC

Replace= They are damaged or lost?

User avatar
Obby
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Obby » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:31 am UTC

I had an apartment fire a while back and lost all my books, and I've been slowly trying to replace them ever since.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:45 pm UTC

I have a small potted cactus in my kitchen. I just whacked my hand against it while trying to shoo a fly out the window. Owowowowowowowowowowowowow.

I have just spent half an hour delicately pulling spines out of my fingers with tweezers.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Steax » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:51 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I have a small potted cactus in my kitchen. I just whacked my hand against it while trying to shoo a fly out the window. Owowowowowowowowowowowowow.

I have just spent half an hour delicately pulling spines out of my fingers with tweezers.


I made a similar mistake while attempting to fix a toppled cactus. That hurt like crap. I didn't think the needles would lodge in so effectively. Dammit, nature!
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby emceng » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:20 pm UTC

What the fuck, you idiots? You set up a website where you can choose your seats for a show. But it won't allow you to purchase seats if it will leave a single seat open next to you? Well that's just great. That means instead of taking two of the three open seats in one row, we'd have to sit nowhere near each other. Awesome.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:37 pm UTC

emceng wrote:What the fuck, you idiots? You set up a website where you can choose your seats for a show. But it won't allow you to purchase seats if it will leave a single seat open next to you? Well that's just great. That means instead of taking two of the three open seats in one row, we'd have to sit nowhere near each other. Awesome.

Buy three tickets, and then get a refund for one of them?
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Steax » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:37 pm UTC

I agree that the should catch corner-cases like when there are no more available, but that's actually pretty standard procedure. People have a habit of leaving 1-seat gaps between groups, and since pairs are the most common group, it easily cuts down capacity by 30%. A place near my home calls this "late tax", so if you still want 2 seats in a 3-wide gap, you just have to buy all 3 seats.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby emceng » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:43 pm UTC

I'm going to call the theatre laterand try ordering that way. I understand why they don't want to leave singles, but this is dumb.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:07 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:Where is this place where you don't need an air conditioner until the middle of July? I WANT TO GO TO THERE.

I grew up in central Florida in a house with no (working) A/C. You'd think that that'd mean I'd be perfectly fine with miserably hot temperatures. Nope. I am SOOO over living in the deep South.

I'm in Florida. I would say there's three days a year you don't need central AC. Those wall things would do no good down here. Also, I am sorry for your plight.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:22 am UTC

I just learned I might lose my job by the end of December! And the news comes right as I decide to settle into the area and start looking for a house! Yay!
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Steax » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:01 am UTC

Dear Hotel websites: I assure you that a massive chunk of people want to know if you have room WiFi and how much you charge for it. Please don't hide that information.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby emceng » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:30 pm UTC

Screw you Netflix. Your vague error codes are freaking useless. When I call and you say it's due to connection speed? F that. My xbox streams just fine, and my laptop won't?

Also, Screw you hulu. Your search function is nearly useless, and the amount of free content you have sucks donkey nuts.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ptolom » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:59 pm UTC

It's too hot. My room is 33ºC and someone's having a barbecue so I can't open the windows without the room filling with smoke. There's a fan in the attic but it's too hot to go up there to fetch it.

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby roband » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:23 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:It's too hot. My room is 33ºC and someone's having a barbecue so I can't open the windows without the room filling with smoke. There's a fan in the attic but it's too hot to go up there to fetch it.

I'm 40 miles south of you and I have the windows open. The fact there's zero wind means I'm still fucking boiling...

User avatar
Nog
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:14 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Nog » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:09 pm UTC

I'm sure it's hotter here than it is there, but I'm inside with central A/C, so I'll never know.

I need one more post to be able to use links. Respond, so I can get there easier.

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby roband » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:30 pm UTC

You now have 6 - that should be enough.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests