Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Zarq

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Zarq » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:00 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:Yes, the forum was very popular back then. Access to the forum was via the onion-telix protocol, in which youth carried (on their belts) layered packets, as was the fashion at the time.

I'm pretty sure that technique only got invented in nineteen-dickety-two, so that doesn't explain 1916.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:37 pm UTC

DrowsyTurtle, you haven't told me anything new with the larvae being blown in. Still, I guess that even if a potentially enourmous bug got hatched somewhere in my apartment, I'd get rid of it before it became enormous.

Regarding the no work and excellent results thing - if whatever you're studying is at least half as serious as what I am, I really have trouble believing that. Of course, provided you don't cheat on tests.

Garm

Postby Garm » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:07 pm UTC

Don't close my help ticket without fixing my shit. Goddamnit! I can't do my job without this service you numbskulls.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC

Garm wrote:Don't close my help ticket without fixing my shit. Goddamnit! I can't do my job without this service you numbskulls.

Seriously! This pisses me off to no end.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:02 pm UTC

This saga started 15 days ago, when I went to the pharmacy to go pick up insulin, a medication that I can't live without.

Someone, somewhere, decided that I don't really need as much as I've been getting each month, so they decided that I get one less vial each month.

There are 1000 units in each vial. I use about 100 units each day, but my Rx says 70 because it was written a while a go and I didn't look at my logs to see how much I was actually using.

Let's just assume that it is 70 u/day, on actual consumption. There's also priming the tubing (20 u / 3 days) and the stuff that's always left at the end of the cartridge (10 u / 1.5 days).
So, if we go with the 30 day period they assume, that's 2100 u + 200 u + 200 u, or 2500 u each month.

Giving me two vials (2000 u) to last me 30 days, and then not letting me pick up my insulin early is total bullshit. (Apparently I can only pick it up every 30 days, no early pick ups, no exceptions.) I could fucking die with out insulin you fucking insurance company, or end up in a diabetic coma, or hospitalized, because you are denying me access to a fucking prescription that I fucking need.

Assholes.
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:33 pm UTC

That's awful. Have you tried calling them?

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:28 pm UTC

That is awful. Insulin is not a thing you fuck around with, and not a thing that should be rationed. I'm pretty sure the insurance company can't legally decide to start withholding medication you're covered for like that. Or if they can, you need better laws.

It's stories like that that make me appreciate the NHS. I can pick up as much insulin as I like, for free, whenever I need it - and nobody has ever told me I should be cutting back.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Drowsy Turtle

Postby Drowsy Turtle » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:57 pm UTC

I was prescribed over the maximum recommended dose for my medication today. Good ol' NHS :)

Edit: turns out from googling that this is not true. But I'm at 3 times the 'normal' dose.
Any offensive material posted is a consequence of societal pressure, the New World Order, the Mayans and David Bellamy. No responsibility will be taken for offense caused.
So suck it.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:27 pm UTC

I've been informed by other people who have had the same problem that my first step (so I don't initially piss them off) is to get a new prescription from my doctor, which I'm doing tomorrow. Unfortunately, I looked at my pump and I had 5 u left this afternoon, which I one reason I tried getting it early (which you can't!). So, I drove to my doc's office, and pretty much cried to the receptionist about the whole ordeal and that I knew I that I had an appointment for the next day, but that I had enough left to cover me, no food, for a few hours. They gave me a sample and made a note so my doc can know I'm having insurance problems.

If having a new, shiny prescription written up doesn't work, and they still try limiting me, then the next step is calling the ADA and making an appeal, which totally sucks.

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:51 pm UTC

I hope things turn out okay! Hugs if wanted!

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:46 pm UTC

That's fucked up, Mochafairy, I really hope it'll be ok!

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:34 pm UTC

mochafairy wrote:I've been informed by other people who have had the same problem that my first step (so I don't initially piss them off) is to get a new prescription from my doctor, which I'm doing tomorrow. Unfortunately, I looked at my pump and I had 5 u left this afternoon, which I one reason I tried getting it early (which you can't!). So, I drove to my doc's office, and pretty much cried to the receptionist about the whole ordeal and that I knew I that I had an appointment for the next day, but that I had enough left to cover me, no food, for a few hours. They gave me a sample and made a note so my doc can know I'm having insurance problems.

If having a new, shiny prescription written up doesn't work, and they still try limiting me, then the next step is calling the ADA and making an appeal, which totally sucks.

That's scary, good to know someone was sane enough to get you more. Hopefully it works out from here.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:21 pm UTC

I knew it was some type of illegal what they're doing, but apparently it's a federal crime and a felony. Awesome. Thanks for confirming that, doc. Now to see if this new shiny prescription goes through...

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:14 pm UTC

Fucking hell. That is scary as fuck.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

elminster

Postby elminster » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:05 am UTC

Sites that claim to be so brilliant, but require you to sign up to even see what they have... Just stop it... Please, just stop it.

At least give me a 1 minute tour so I don't have to spend 10minutes wasting time setting up. Hell, even a series of screenshots would do...

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:43 am UTC

Testing goes a lot faster if there aren't so many problems that you have trouble keeping track of all the bug reports you're trying to file as you keep discovering new ones while laying out the steps to reproduce old ones.

I was kind of tempted to just file a bug report: "the feature clearly wasn't tested, go back, test and fix" instead of trying to file all these separate issues to the company I'm working with.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Garm

Postby Garm » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:59 am UTC

Роберт wrote:Testing goes a lot faster if there aren't so many problems that you have trouble keeping track of all the bug reports you're trying to file as you keep discovering new ones while laying out the steps to reproduce old ones.

I was kind of tempted to just file a bug report: "the feature clearly wasn't tested, go back, test and fix" instead of trying to file all these separate issues to the company I'm working with.

That is absolutely the worst. Couple that with lack of any sort of SRS or PRD and you've got a nightmare on your hands. You just want to yell at people to unit test more. The other thing that's horrible is when the feature gets changed (either expanded or just altered) and no one tells you even though your name is all over all the bugs that generated the changes. You start putting in bugs based on what you think is incorrect behavior and get a nasty-gram from one of the dev managers telling you that the behavior you're reporting is correct.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:08 am UTC

Garm wrote:
Роберт wrote:Testing goes a lot faster if there aren't so many problems that you have trouble keeping track of all the bug reports you're trying to file as you keep discovering new ones while laying out the steps to reproduce old ones.

That is absolutely the worst. Couple that with lack of any sort of SRS or PRD and you've got a nightmare on your hands. You just want to yell at people to unit test more. The other thing that's horrible is when the feature gets changed (either expanded or just altered) and no one tells you even though your name is all over all the bugs that generated the changes. You start putting in bugs based on what you think is incorrect behavior and get a nasty-gram from one of the dev managers telling you that the behavior you're reporting is correct.

Don't worry, the documentation is extremely sparse at best. The (good?) news is most of these bugs I'm finding are clearly not expected behavior so I won't get that nasty-gram.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:15 am UTC

On the other side of the bug report, it's also pretty damn annoying getting bug reports to the affect of "It's not working like it should, because it's working like I told you it should, but I was wrong and forgot to tell you. But I'm going to file this as a development bug instead of a feature change (which it should be, because it works as you asked, and now you're asking for it to work differently), implying to outside observers (i.e. management) that the problem is your fault."
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Garm

Postby Garm » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:23 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:On the other side of the bug report, it's also pretty damn annoying getting bug reports to the affect of "It's not working like it should, because it's working like I told you it should, but I was wrong and forgot to tell you. But I'm going to file this as a development bug instead of a feature change (which it should be, because it works as you asked, and now you're asking for it to work differently), implying to outside observers (i.e. management) that the problem is your fault."

That IS annoying. Testers really ought to do their due diligence and make sure they understand the expected behavior before going and entering a million bugs. That said, it's hard when the devs attach changes to the SRS/PRD to dev issues in the bug database and don't bother to tell you. When you go to the normal document repository and see that the feature doc hasn't changed in three years you don't expect massive behavior changes. At least for me, the development work is now local instead of globe-spanning like it was about a year ago. Much easier to just go bother a dev before putting in a bug.
- JFK

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:39 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:On the other side of the bug report, it's also pretty damn annoying getting bug reports to the affect of "It's not working like it should, because it's working like I told you it should, but I was wrong and forgot to tell you. But I'm going to file this as a development bug instead of a feature change (which it should be, because it works as you asked, and now you're asking for it to work differently), implying to outside observers (i.e. management) that the problem is your fault."

Yes, that type of thing would be annoying.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:33 pm UTC

In my case though, the first round of testing outside the development team is done by the people that set the feature requirements and should be updating the feature documents themselves. I'm not annoyed when I get bug reports about a feature that just amount to the user not knowing the feature, but the issue here is the guy laid down requirement X, we implement requirement X, he files a bug report because he changed requirement X to Y and didn't tell the development team.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:27 pm UTC

I dunno. A bug that isn't a bug is easy to fix -- do nothing!

;)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:34 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:In my case though, the first round of testing outside the development team is done by the people that set the feature requirements and should be updating the feature documents themselves. I'm not annoyed when I get bug reports about a feature that just amount to the user not knowing the feature, but the issue here is the guy laid down requirement X, we implement requirement X, he files a bug report because he changed requirement X to Y and didn't tell the development team.

Closed: not a bug

Done! Maybe even point a link to the requirements doc.

elminster

Postby elminster » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:55 pm UTC

The problem with a project that I'm currently working on is that there's features coded in really obscure ways and bugs coded in less obscure ways... so it's hard to tell what's a feature and what's a bug. Since some of it doesn't *REALLY* matter so much, it's difficult to justify fixing it because you'll probably break something else.
p.s. I code on a skyscraper of razor blades built on top of a jelly foundation... it doesn't take much to break or cut yourself. 16 year old code base... I.e. before C++98

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:23 am UTC

Freaked the fuck out over my credit crad bill. Then I saw that I had a $1200 charge for a hotel for a work trip. Whew.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:55 am UTC

Last year you folks were in first year, and I could somewhat understand asking lots of dumb questions in the Facebook group. You're now in second year, in a rather prestigious program, where you should be at least somewhat independent and smart. Instead of posting all your stupid, inane questions on Facebook, why don't you just go to class, and look on the fucking website.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:34 am UTC

I wish google stopped adding obtrusive features I do not care for and cannot remove in the settings page.

Worst offenders:
"Showing results for" YEAH I KNOW WHAT I TYPED GO FUCK YOURSELF
That fucking side bar
Google + integration

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:19 pm UTC

I don't know what's wrong with the Linux soft RAID implementation I've been trying to use for the last three months, but it's not working and last night it blew up so bad that I had to reinstall. Every other time I've used Linux soft RAID it's worked fine. :?

raike

Postby raike » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:31 pm UTC

Okay, I get that my project is not yielding any novel or interesting results. And fine, I spent (to you, wasted) two months rewriting all the code because y'all were unhappy with the lack of some minor physical details being present, never mind that the code worked and modelled what it was supposed to, independent of these details. Really, no other model in the field even cares about these details--what we're modelling doesn't even behave in such a manner that considering these quantities makes sense; I'll read the papers you send me, but it's still true that there really was not a problem before. But, I shrugged my shoulders and went on with the re-write, re-derived the equations, showed them to you, pointed out that they formed an altogether new model, and re-wrote all the code. And now, it has all of the features y'all wanted, and is a whole lot faster. Whoo. More data in less time.

But, if you're going to all of a sudden end my project and my affiliation with your lab because you think it's not going nowhere or something, it'd be nice if you told me directly rather than first removing me from the lab e-mail list, then a week later taking all but one person off my project's e-mail group, not scheduling any meetings when you used to insist on weekly in-person updates, and then just not contacting me at all. I get the hint, but really...

If I end up as an academic with a lab group and (undergraduate) students working for me, I'll be sure not to pull crap like this--the odds are, it'd piss other people off more than it pisses me off.
"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." - H.J. Kaiser
رات دن گردش میں ہیں سات آسماں
ہو رہیگا کچھ نہ کچھ گھبرائیں کیا
(غالب)

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:46 am UTC

My Cataclysm save file is all messed up so it inevitably segfaults. I was doing so well; the fungal zombies were kept at bay with small arms and barricades and we had a cellar full of equipment :(

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:01 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:My Cataclysm save file is all messed up so it inevitably segfaults. I was doing so well; the fungal zombies were kept at bay with small arms and barricades and we had a cellar full of equipment :(

If all save files are the same size, you could try creating a new one and pasting random sections of the previous one (in binary form). This could perhaps work.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:30 pm UTC

They're actually plain text files. I don't think it's so much a corrupted save as a bug in the game with NPCs in combat, which the save leads to.

farnsworth

Postby farnsworth » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:33 am UTC

My home ISP blocks minecraft.net.

WHYYY

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:58 am UTC

HOME ISP blocks websites? How can they do that?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:40 pm UTC

They can probably do whatever they want if you agree to it when you sign up.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:42 am UTC

farnsworth wrote:My home ISP blocks minecraft.net.

WHYYY

Try changing your DNS servers. I know OpenDNS and Google have ones that are approved for public use (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220, 8.8.8.8, and something else Googly).

roband

Postby roband » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:42 pm UTC

Labrynthitis sucks hard.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:57 pm UTC

Can't you beat that with a ball of string?

roband

Postby roband » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:16 pm UTC

Not much is possible when you can't stand for more than 30 seconds.

Return to “General”