Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ptolom » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:09 pm UTC

It's 2012 and I just had to manually recompile my video drivers. All the binary versions just cause a kernel panic as soon as I load them.

User avatar
Kithplana
Posts: 400
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 11:12 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Kithplana » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:57 pm UTC

My condolences.

User avatar
darknut
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:40 am UTC
Location: here

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby darknut » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:10 am UTC

why is it despite all the improvements of newer game consoles, they're less reliable. i have a PS3 and while i wouldnt say it fequently freezes, it not very rare. compare that with n64 and PS 1 and 2, which over several years i cant recall ever freezing (except for the few times when they were dropped), yet with the ps3 which ive only had a year, i've lost count of how many times that thing has glitched out.
/new world problems
poxic wrote: Take a source of light and cook it up until it lases -- now you have a laser.

User avatar
rath358
The bone of my bone
Posts: 945
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:02 am UTC
Location: west Camberville

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby rath358 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:43 pm UTC

How many times did you have to blow in the N64 cartridge, or jiggle it around so that an image would appear on the screen? It happens whenever I try to play, but that may be just because the one I use is old

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ptolom » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:24 pm UTC

darknut wrote:why is it despite all the improvements of newer game consoles, they're less reliable. i have a PS3 and while i wouldnt say it fequently freezes, it not very rare. compare that with n64 and PS 1 and 2, which over several years i cant recall ever freezing (except for the few times when they were dropped), yet with the ps3 which ive only had a year, i've lost count of how many times that thing has glitched out.
/new world problems

I blame the software. There's now far more of it and instead of being meticulously written in assembly to make the best use of limited memory, it's just cobbled together from various libraries.

User avatar
setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers
Posts: 2762
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:24 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby setzer777 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:00 pm UTC

Ugh, I don't know why I waste time arguing about gay marriage with my dad - it's like talking to a bigoted brick wall. Next time he tries to start an argument on one of my Facebook posts I'm tempted to just say something dismissive about his backwards beliefs.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:06 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:Ugh, I don't know why I waste time arguing about gay marriage with my dad - it's like talking to a bigoted brick wall. Next time he tries to start an argument on one of my Facebook posts I'm tempted to just say something dismissive about his backwards beliefs.

You could always mention how fucking Archie Comics have no problem with it. Like has been mentioned in someone's signature, somewhere. I forget where.. that's not important.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:09 pm UTC

What kind of loser quotes Archie Comics?

Damn liberal, neo-nazi, communists.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby emceng » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:04 pm UTC

What kind of loser quotes Oscar Meyer?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:27 am UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Damn liberal, neo-nazi, communists.


Is that a solaire avatar? You know who else worshipped the sun? Dirty antipatriotic Aztecs immigrants, that's who.

User avatar
K-R
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:42 pm UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby K-R » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:33 pm UTC

My mouse seems to be intent on driving me mad. The 'back' button occasionally stops working, and it clicks and un-clicks completely at random. Clicking and dragging is an absolute nightmare.

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Adacore » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:49 am UTC

This has annoyed me since I started using it (so probably a couple of years now), but the equation editor on Word 2007 is SO MUCH WORSE than the one that was included in Word 2003. It literally takes me three times as long to enter any equation, and editing stuff is a nightmare compared to how it used to be. Sure, there's slightly more functionality, and some of that is nice, but the dramatic decrease in ease-of-use has well outweighed any potential benefits. :evil:

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1405
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby freezeblade » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:34 pm UTC

when I am in charge of over 60 store re-models at work, and I send the stores an e-mail as a follow up with the text Please respond to this email to confirm (yes, I did underline and bold this portion), why in the name of fuck do I only get 6 god damn responces back? Then, when I have to call the remaining 54 stores that DIDN'T respond (and wait on hold each time to talk to a manager) most of they say "oh. yeah. we saw that e-mail, the way I read it, if everything was ok I didn't have to write back." (the e-mail was concerning the posiblities of some parts being installed upside down) Then, the ones that say "oh, I'll send you an e-mail with a count within an hour," don't get back to me at all, and force me to call them the next day to bug them again. I mean, I know you're busy and all being the store manager, but it takes 30 seconds for you to check on this, and takes me hours and hours to call all of the stores because the manager is too lazy to do it themselves, or assign it to some incompetent underling who will just forget to do it!

Grr.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:51 pm UTC

Is there some way to put this on their personnel records?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
K-R
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:42 pm UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby K-R » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:55 pm UTC

My dad was telling me a while back about trying to get something shipped from Melbourne to Brisbane (or vice versa...or possibly two other cities, I don't really remember) as part of his work. Got an email one morning saying that parts of the shipment weren't ready yet, and asking whether to ship it then (which was a Friday) or wait until Monday. Replied saying to ship what they had, so it could be in transit over the weekend instead of just sitting there. Got a reply saying 'as agreed, we'll leave it here until Monday.' It got worse from there, but that's the only bit of the story I actually remember.

Clearly email's sole purpose is to be as inconvenient as possible.

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1405
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby freezeblade » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:08 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Is there some way to put this on their personnel records?


Unfortunatly, no. As I am only an underling myself (at the corporate office) I have no powers to make note of how fucking lazy they are.

I'm going to have to send out another batch to ALL the stores that got remodels this year (about 200), about their tile replacement (request from the VP). This time I included this verbage; "If you do not respond to this email it will be assumed that the tile in your store is correct, and no action will be taken." (bold and underlined), along with the 20 pt. "please respond to this e-mail" as the first line. Because fuck if I'm going to call 200 god damn stores, and if they are too damn lazy to walk their store (they dont' even need to go into the aisles!) and respond to an e-mail, it's on them, not me.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
Suzaku
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 am UTC
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Suzaku » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:15 am UTC

Can you CC someone higher up the food chain so that they can see that you aren't getting responses (and hopefully put it on the personnel records?
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:48 am UTC

I've used both of the above approaches to good affect in the past. "If I don't get the data I've requested by tomorrow I'm going to assume the data that I have is correct and use it, whether it is or isn't. BTW I'm CC'ing your boss on this." Turns out that reminding someone that if they don't act something will go wrong, it'll be their fault, and oh yea, their boss is now in the loop, is a pretty good way to motivate them when all else fails.

edit: CC'ing their boss is also a little bit of insurance. If something goes wrong, and the store manager claims to have never gotten the e-mail, their boss knows they're full of shit and hopefully won't blame you or your company. Might help to CC your boss too.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1405
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby freezeblade » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:43 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:I've used both of the above approaches to good affect in the past. "If I don't get the data I've requested by tomorrow I'm going to assume the data that I have is correct and use it, whether it is or isn't. BTW I'm CC'ing your boss on this." Turns out that reminding someone that if they don't act something will go wrong, it'll be their fault, and oh yea, their boss is now in the loop, is a pretty good way to motivate them when all else fails.

edit: CC'ing their boss is also a little bit of insurance. If something goes wrong, and the store manager claims to have never gotten the e-mail, their boss knows they're full of shit and hopefully won't blame you or your company. Might help to CC your boss too.


Yup, I'm getting a better responce this time, and after a few days (it's a discount clothing retailer, so we are pretty bare-bones on staff in general) I will send out a second e-mail to the remaining non-responce stores, cc-ing the district managers about how I need the numbers, and that their stores won't get fixed unless I get the information I need.

Still, 200 e-mails sent out high importance, to the store managers e-mail, and after about 24 hours I've only gotten 3% back. Pretty piss-poor. I'm the one to talk to if your store is looking fucked up, you'd think that if they ARE fucked up (and I know quite are) then you'd want to talk to me, because I can get it fixed.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

ferristriangle
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:29 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby ferristriangle » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:08 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:Ugh, I don't know why I waste time arguing about gay marriage with my dad - it's like talking to a bigoted brick wall. Next time he tries to start an argument on one of my Facebook posts I'm tempted to just say something dismissive about his backwards beliefs.

I've had the same argument with my parents many times.I know how frustrating that can be.

If his argument is based in biblical terms, I find that this article does a very good job deconstructing the actual biblical text. I feel it makes a very strong point for at least allowing an alternative interpretation of what the biblical text actually means.

I mean, it didn't really help in my case, because for some reason human beings are stubborn, but it doesn't hurt to have that little extra resource.

User avatar
ahammel
My Little Cabbage
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 am UTC
Location: Vancouver BC
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby ahammel » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:46 am UTC

All of Beethoven's piano sonatas1 for $1.99, you say? Don't mind if I...
amazon wrote:The sale of MP3 Downloads is currently only available to US customers.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU....

1. Except no. 31, for some reason.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

User avatar
Jave D
chavey-dee
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Jave D » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:13 am UTC

Sick. My body is at war.

User avatar
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Location: Left coast of Canada

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby poxic » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:23 am UTC

ferristriangle wrote:I mean, it didn't really help in my case, because for some reason human beings are stubborn, but it doesn't hurt to have that little extra resource.

Neat article. Thinking back to when I was a fundie (for a few years as a teenager), I doubt it would have swayed me because I would have been afraid to read it.

Conservative religion is anti-critical thinking. You accept what the group says because the group is where safety is. Believing, or sometimes even considering, anything outside of what the group says will get you condemned (or just "talked to" by "concerned people"). You'll lose the comfort and reassurance of being on the Right Side Of Things, never mind all that hell stuff.

Arguing facts and interpretation with a conservative religious person will probably not get you anywhere, especially if you're an outsider to their group. Their church services and holy book studies are mostly intended to fortify them against thinking critically about their beliefs. Mostly.

(Note that this is a broad brush I'm using. There will be exceptions, and few conservative religious people would probably recognise themselves or their group in my description.)
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:39 am UTC

ahammel wrote:All of Beethoven's piano sonatas1 for $1.99, you say? Don't mind if I...
amazon wrote:The sale of MP3 Downloads is currently only available to US customers.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU....

1. Except no. 31, for some reason.

I'd buy it just to spite you, but I'm more of a baroque kind of guy.

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Adacore » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:26 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I'd buy it just to spite you, but I'm more of a baroque kind of guy.

You must be Baching mad!

DSenette
Posts: 2418
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby DSenette » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:15 pm UTC

poxic wrote:
ferristriangle wrote:I mean, it didn't really help in my case, because for some reason human beings are stubborn, but it doesn't hurt to have that little extra resource.

Neat article. Thinking back to when I was a fundie (for a few years as a teenager), I doubt it would have swayed me because I would have been afraid to read it.

Conservative religion is anti-critical thinking. You accept what the group says because the group is where safety is. Believing, or sometimes even considering, anything outside of what the group says will get you condemned (or just "talked to" by "concerned people"). You'll lose the comfort and reassurance of being on the Right Side Of Things, never mind all that hell stuff.

Arguing facts and interpretation with a conservative religious person will probably not get you anywhere, especially if you're an outsider to their group. Their church services and holy book studies are mostly intended to fortify them against thinking critically about their beliefs. Mostly.

(Note that this is a broad brush I'm using. There will be exceptions, and few conservative religious people would probably recognise themselves or their group in my description.)

yeah, using facts with people who have a different deffinition for that word is an uphill battle
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

ferristriangle
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:29 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby ferristriangle » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:01 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:
poxic wrote:
ferristriangle wrote:I mean, it didn't really help in my case, because for some reason human beings are stubborn, but it doesn't hurt to have that little extra resource.

Neat article. Thinking back to when I was a fundie (for a few years as a teenager), I doubt it would have swayed me because I would have been afraid to read it.

Conservative religion is anti-critical thinking. You accept what the group says because the group is where safety is. Believing, or sometimes even considering, anything outside of what the group says will get you condemned (or just "talked to" by "concerned people"). You'll lose the comfort and reassurance of being on the Right Side Of Things, never mind all that hell stuff.

Arguing facts and interpretation with a conservative religious person will probably not get you anywhere, especially if you're an outsider to their group. Their church services and holy book studies are mostly intended to fortify them against thinking critically about their beliefs. Mostly.

(Note that this is a broad brush I'm using. There will be exceptions, and few conservative religious people would probably recognise themselves or their group in my description.)

yeah, using facts with people who have a different deffinition for that word is an uphill battle


Well, I personally always enjoy having a discussion, even when it's very unlikely either side will change their mind.

Even if the only thing you accomplish is gaining a better understanding of your own position, that's still a positive outcome in my opinion.

Besides, it's important to make sure that your own positions are grounded in sound reasoning. Saying that, "Being against gay marriage is bad becuz ur dum," is really any better than saying, "Gay marriage is bad becuz THA' BIBLE!"

User avatar
K-R
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:42 pm UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby K-R » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:33 am UTC

Trying to buy two DVDs from TNA. Total price for the DVDs: $22. Shipping: $38.

What the fucking fuck is wrong with these people? How can they possibly expect me to spend twice as much on shipping as on the things I'm buying?

User avatar
torontoraptor
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby torontoraptor » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:52 am UTC

And my phone is gone. And the bartenders, after telling me all night that the best time to ask them is at the end, just brush me off at the end. Hopefully it wasn't stolen, but no matter what, this is going to be a GIANT pain in the ass. Fuuuuck.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:45 pm UTC

The infamous Pressures thread seems to have suffered a spontaneously existence failure. I'm a little sad.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1405
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby freezeblade » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:07 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:The infamous Pressures thread seems to have suffered a spontaneously existence failure. I'm a little sad.


I Just saw that, Felstaff seems to have taken his vorpal mod greatsword of evisceration and cleaved off about 100 pages of comments.

edit: just looked back at the thread in question again. BEST. PAGETOPPER. EVER.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:27 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
eran_rathan wrote:The infamous Pressures thread seems to have suffered a spontaneously existence failure. I'm a little sad.


I Just saw that, Felstaff seems to have taken his vorpal mod greatsword of evisceration and cleaved off about 100 pages of comments.

edit: just looked back at the thread in question again. BEST. PAGETOPPER. EVER.

No no.. Felstaff applied the surgical scalpel of modhood and carefully spent hours extracting all that did not belong.

And the board software then said "lol nope"

So he - in a show of restraint worthy of several medals - just lopped the whole thing off right where it started to go bad.

Me? I'd have set ICT on fire and picked up a microphone just so I could drop it as I walked away.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:04 pm UTC

Well, its back. Felstaff is awesome, etc. etc. Carry on.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

User avatar
Kithplana
Posts: 400
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 11:12 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Kithplana » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:46 am UTC

So... almost three months ago now one of my old barely-used Microsoft Hotlive Binglook accounts was broken into. I'm still not sure how, but that's irrelevant at this point. Since Microsoft doesn't provide the user with an way to view the last few IPs that have logged into their account, I had to... go through account confirmation, post in the support forums, and ask for someone to retrieve the information for me.

I read all the steps, did the account confirmation, and posted that I had it all together and was just waiting for a mod to reply. One of their Community Stars ("helpful" users?) promptly replied, telling me to do exactly what I'd done already.

Almost three months later, after I'd given up, I got a response from a mod who asked me for the confirmation information. Great! I sent it over.

Then I got another response... asking me for the confirmation information. I sent it again.

Finally! I got an IP and time of login. Somewhere in the UK. Pretty much what I thought, some random broke in and started digging around to see what they could find. Just for fun, I decided to report it to their ISP. I wasn't expecting a response.

I got a response. They want the timezone the login time was in, since it wasn't specified in Microsoft's reply. I don't want to have to deal with Microsoft again, but hopefully I can just reply to the thread and ask.

Microsoft responded today. Apparently they have no way of finding out what timezone that login time was in. I was advised to do a geoIP lookup to find out what the timezone is.

Thanks, Microsoft, for being nearly useless. Not only is the process to gain this information convoluted and time-consuming, when I do get the information it's useless for any legal purpose. I guess I did get what I wanted, which was to find out whether it was someone local trying to mess with me. However, this whole process was ridiculous, especially coming from a huge Cloud Services(tm) provider. I'm glad I stopped using most of their stuff a long time ago.

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Steax » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:59 am UTC

My home's internet is screwed. Can't contact the modem from any computer in thouse, but I can contact the router just fine. Plug in the living room's computer directly to the modem, and it works fine. Plug in my work computer directly to the modem, it shows every symptom of damaged cable (which does not show up when I go from work computer -> router).

I figured it might be the cable from the modem to the router. I swap that for a fresh working cable. Nothing.

No time to work this out myself, I requested a technician take a look. Four days and counting.

--

Today I desperately needed to upload a large file (so poor tethering wouldn't do). To make things harder, the only computer capable of this is an ancient Windows XP machine that only supports USB, even for connectivity. It's also bolted to a room. I cobbled together a system through a series of questionably sane manoevers worthy of an action movie.

1. Modem connects to my macbook in the living room.
2. Macbook turns on internet sharing from ethernet to wifi.
3. iMac picks up wifi.
4. iMac turns on internet sharing from wifi to firewire.
5. Firewire connects to Windows 7 machine.
6. Through voodoo, it relays through ethernet. (iMac can't do this for a separate, non-technical, reason.)
7. Plaster a spare network card to said machine. Hang it from a toothbrush balanced on the desk edge.
8. Drill a hole through the machine case (we've tried opening it normally to no avail).
9. For whatever reason, the machine fails to accept the ethernet connection.
10. Grabbing an old ubuntu laptop, we discovered it can work by passing the connection via bluetooth.
11. We decide the internet gods are fucking with us.
12. Run to a store and grab a bluetooth card for the XP machine.
13. Install it through now-gaping hole.
14. Enjoy our 10-second pings as we probably fry our brains with excessive radiation.

If this were an action movie, we'd probably have saved a bus of hostages and the world by now. Twice.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby roband » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:14 am UTC

Why is this in the rant thread and not the awesome thread? Reading that gave me a semi :/

User avatar
Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG
Posts: 1339
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:36 pm UTC
Location: Within a 50 mile radius.
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Noc » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:37 am UTC

So you're a technodacryphile?
Have you given up?

User avatar
raike
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby raike » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:23 am UTC

I just hit my little toe really hard on the corner of a dresser and tore off a good bit of skin, and now it's madly bleeding. There's something disconcerting about seeing that much of my blood on the floor...
"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." - H.J. Kaiser
رات دن گردش میں ہیں سات آسماں
ہو رہیگا کچھ نہ کچھ گھبرائیں کیا
(غالب)

User avatar
Suzaku
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 am UTC
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Suzaku » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:23 am UTC

PC hardware makers, it is really not necessary for you to include fluff like 'Wireless Network Manager' with your OEM Windows builds. You aren't doing it any better than the Windows native apps usually, and it just makes supporting it that much more difficult.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

User avatar
Dr. Diaphanous
Posts: 252
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:38 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:22 pm UTC

:(
Attachments
your.png
your.png (28.77 KiB) Viewed 5592 times
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests