Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

roband

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby roband » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:27 pm UTC

Today has been utter wank.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:58 pm UTC

But at least you got a good page topper out of it.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

roband

Postby roband » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:01 pm UTC

That almost raised a smile. Oh well, there's cider and beer and guitar music later.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:28 pm UTC

roband wrote:That almost raised a smile. Oh well, there's cider and beer and guitar music later.

That makes everything better. When I get off work I'll do a toast to you, sir.

a wise man wrote:TO ALCOHOL! the cause and solution to, all of life's problems!
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

roband

Postby roband » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:31 pm UTC

1 hour of work to go

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:07 pm UTC

roband wrote:1 hour of work to go

For you maybe. only 10am here, feels like the day will never end.

As for ranting, a follow-up on my ranting from earlier in the thread (e-mailing stores): I send the e-mail with bold and underlined "respond to this email" about three times in it on the 23rd to about 200 stores. A little less than half of these got back to me by yesterday, so I spent nearly the entire work day looking up districts (of course we don't have a handy-dandy way of doing this in our e-mail system) and sending all the district managers notes (with the stores cc'd) about the unresponsive stores. About half of the remaining stores got all freaked out that I was speaking to their district manager, and sent me the information I needed right away.

Unfortunatly, this still leaves me with about 50 stores that I'm going to have to individually call tomorrow, waiting on hold for a manager, asking for the information that I need, waiting on hold for the 30 seconds it takes for them to walk the department, and tell me how many broken border tiles exist. This is days wasted from what would amount for 30 seconds of work on the stores end. *sigh* Can I do work that's actually related to what I went to college for now? I'm totally not up for project management much longer if it's all just reminding stores again and again to do their jobs. *grr*
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:25 pm UTC

I left work more than an hour ago, and am already sitting here with a large whisky on the rocks. Not that I'm trying to make you jealous or anything...

roband

Postby roband » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:26 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:

I left work more than an hour ago, and am already sitting here with a large whisky on the rocks. Not that I'm trying to make you jealous or anything...

You can keep your throat burner. I'm going to try and be strong and stay off the nice cider tonight. It's awesome at the time, but the hangover is abysmal.

No, no. One pint of cider then onto the lager for me. Nothing special tonight.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:32 pm UTC

I also have ale, which I'm starting on later, once my fridge has had a chance to chill them properly.

roband

Postby roband » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:03 pm UTC

Yeah, I could go for ale over lager - depends what they have in.

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:12 am UTC

Few things make me murderously angry in this world. Actually, scratch that, a lot of things get me murderously angry. Three things take top priority, though. The first is child abuse, pretty straightforward. The second is entitled snobs who don't tip their servers and tailgate anyone doing less than 15 over the speed limit.

The third group is military imposters. From basic "I was in the Army" to piss-drunk insane "I got recruited as a SEAL straight out of high school and killed 100 people in Iraq," making false claims about military service make me want to strangle people. They are scum who exploit buzzwords and civilian ignorance for the sake of getting pats on the back or impressing chicks in a bar. They dishonor every single person who worked, bled, and died in the service. Just because Stolen Valor was struck down as unconstitutional doesn't make it "legal" to put on airs as a soldier.

I don't like to fight in brawls. Too messy and I hate getting stupid injuries. But so help me God if I catch you spouting bullshit about your tours in Afghanistan when the most you did with the military was walk into the recruitment office to look at the gun display.
You can refuse to think, but you can't refuse the consequences of not thinking.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:53 am UTC

roband wrote:Today has been utter wank.

Unlike milk, which is udder wank.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:48 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
roband wrote:Today has been utter wank.

Unlike milk, which is udder wank.

I was about to type "weyyyy" but I suppose it should be "wheyyyy" ;)

Rant: I did end up drinking ale. I enjoyed 2 nice jugs of Tribute. Then my brother mistakenly bought me a pint of London Pride. Bleurghghg

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:48 am UTC

My mom brought home a kitten that was being held all day by a very smelly person, and now the kitten is smelly, too.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:39 am UTC

For some reason brushing baking soda through its fur comes to mind as the least bloody way to de-stink a cat.

This may or may not be a good idea.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:55 am UTC

Kittenhood is the best time to start bathing a cat. The bloodshed is much reduced and they can actually get used to it if done often (e.g., weekly).
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:18 pm UTC

Why would you recommend bathing a cat?

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:42 pm UTC

Our old (about 20) cat got to the point where she wasn't keeping herself clean enough, so we bathed her regularly. She wasn't impressed, but really loved being snuggled up in a towel afterwards.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:16 pm UTC

Weekly bathing gets a kitten used to it, leading to less drama. Also, it can help keep down the dander, making kitty less allergenic for people with allergies.

And yes, cats can get dirty. Licking themselves all the time really doesn't take care of it all.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:49 pm UTC

Thanks for your response. I've adopted a three-month-old kitten two weeks ago and I asked her vet how could I get her used to taking baths, and he was like "Why the fuck would you do that? That's completely unnecessary!"
That's why I asked.

When it comes to rants about cats, I really like this little cutie, but she has a tendency of becoming just too hyperactive and I don't know how to deal with it. Hitting her, even slightly, is completely out of the picture. Sometimes I play with her for an hour and it's not enough for her!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:24 am UTC

Whelan wrote:Our old (about 20) cat got to the point where she wasn't keeping herself clean enough, so we bathed her regularly. She wasn't impressed, but really loved being snuggled up in a towel afterwards.

Heh. my friend Catherine hated being towel-dried. She'd accept that bathtime was going to happen, but then shred me when the towel thing started up. I'd give her a few wipes before giving up and depositing her in front of the fireplace, where she (more effectively than you'd think) licked herself dry. With the help of the heat, yes.

Perchloric, do you have a play station for your kitten? Something like one of these is good. Make sure the carpet is fairly thick, or else her nails will go right through it making her footing less secure. Good ones might run you a few hundred bucks but they'll last for the life of the cat. (Do vacuum once in a while. They get groady.)

That won't eliminate the crazies, but that plus some toys she can play with on her own will help. Also growing up. When she's older, she'll (probably) calm down.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:57 am UTC

Me (this morning): I have all day to do laundry, I don't need to do it now.

Me (9pm): Shiiiit.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:16 am UTC

I really wish it was acceptable to send an e-mail that reads:
Hey Fuckface,
Either send me an e-mail clarifying your bug report or send me an e-mail saying it's not important and you don't need it fixed.

P.S. If I don't receive this e-mail within the week, I'm revoking your bug reporting abilities and auto-filing your future e-mails as spam.

Fuck you very much,
The guy who's multiple e-mails you've been ignoring
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:49 am UTC

poxic wrote:Perchloric, do you have a play station for your kitten? Something like one of these is good. Make sure the carpet is fairly thick, or else her nails will go right through it making her footing less secure. Good ones might run you a few hundred bucks but they'll last for the life of the cat. (Do vacuum once in a while. They get groady.)

That won't eliminate the crazies, but that plus some toys she can play with on her own will help. Also growing up. When she's older, she'll (probably) calm down.

I don't have a play station. I bought her a scratcher that looks something like this one from the url. She HATES it. It's so repulsive to her that she runs away if I put her on it or when we play with a laser, she won't go onto it. :shock:

boXd

Postby boXd » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:45 pm UTC

So I've been having appointments with my doctor for months now because I need to get surgery to remove a cholesteatoma in my left ear. A month ago, he finally told me I was going to get surgery 'somewhere in November', because I need to get that thing removed 'as soon as possible'. I also told him about my exams this week, and he said he'd make sure to plan it short after that so I wouldn't get in trouble in college (it's quite an invasive piece of surgery, so I'll probably be under the weather for more than a week).

I didn't hear back from the hospital at all.

Just now, I decided to give them a call to hear when exactly I would be having that surgery, and they told me they were planning it 'somewhere in January', becauses it's very hard to get hold of the two doctors who need to do the surgery together. Great. And I didn't know this until I called you... why? It's one thing to get me surgery two months later than planned; while unfortunate, I can understand that there may be good reasons why it may be impossible to do it earlier, despite it having to be done 'as soon as possible'. However, it is completely unacceptable to then leave me in the dark about it, letting me stress about the surgery for a month I think I'll be having soon, and trying very hard not to put much in my agenda for this month. It actually made me miss a trip to Antwerpen with some cool people because I figured it would be best not to do that when I would be having surgery sometime this month.

/me is extremely annoyed.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:04 pm UTC

PerchloricAcid wrote:
poxic wrote:Perchloric, do you have a play station for your kitten? Something like one of these is good. Make sure the carpet is fairly thick, or else her nails will go right through it making her footing less secure. Good ones might run you a few hundred bucks but they'll last for the life of the cat. (Do vacuum once in a while. They get groady.)

I don't have a play station. I bought her a scratcher that looks something like this one from the url. She HATES it. It's so repulsive to her that she runs away if I put her on it or when we play with a laser, she won't go onto it. :shock:

have you covered it in catnip? or catnip liquid? that will usually fix "cat hates this inanimate object that it should love" problems. or get one of the cheapo cardboard scratchers...it's been my experience that cats are like children in that they prefer to play with the box the expensive thing came in instead of the expensive thing, so you might as well just buy them a box
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:14 am UTC

I've had a lot to drink, and all I wanted to do was read my book on the bus, and then an evangelical Christian preacher came on the scene and start Jesus-talking. Shit about the devil being in all of us and we're all going to hell. After five minutes I couldn't take it any more and went off on one. I thought tearing into him for a few minutes would get it out of my system, but I'm more angry now than I was when I was sitting there silently seething. I don't think I made too many friends on the bus, as the altercation caused more fuss than his mindless proselytising, and frankly I was talking out of my ass, and forthrightly, too. I apologised (to the passengers, not to him) out of embarrassment, but thankfully the driver stepped in by saying "no begging or preaching on this bus, now shut up or get off!"

That got a cheer.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

maninblack
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Postby maninblack » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:19 am UTC

More political posts on facebook today even after the election. Even one comparing last night's electoral map to the US map at the time of the civil war. Implying that all who voted for Romney own slaves, or were in favor of slavery, or are racist, or something. That one freaking picture has me more upset than that the election turn out the way it did. (Yeah I voted for Romney. No I don't own slaves.)

BAH!
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:39 am UTC

maninblack wrote:Even one comparing last night's electoral map to the US map at the time of the civil war. Implying that all who voted for Romney own slaves, or were in favor of slavery, or are racist, or something. That one freaking picture has me more upset than that the election turn out the way it did. (Yeah I voted for Romney. No I don't own slaves.)

Yeah, I saw this and thought "no way, I don't believe you".

It just fucking happened on my own Facebook news feed.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:45 am UTC

The problem I'd have with Romney is his homophobia.

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:45 am UTC

DSenette wrote:
PerchloricAcid wrote:

have you covered it in catnip? or catnip liquid? that will usually fix "cat hates this inanimate object that it should love" problems. or get one of the cheapo cardboard scratchers...it's been my experience that cats are like children in that they prefer to play with the box the expensive thing came in instead of the expensive thing, so you might as well just buy them a box

Oh, it gets even weirder. I've heard about the cats&catnip thing so I bought some. The kitten hates it. She runs away from the open bottle (so I use it to get her to get away from places I don't want her to be, such as the table while I'm eating) if I put it close to her nose, and even tried to hit it one time when she was hyperactive.

She's got an old suitcase that was meant to be thrown away (it's broken), which she uses as a scratcher and likes to sleep in or on it. She is also allowed to scratch my chairs, which are lined with scratch-ish material that doesn't seem to get ruined by the scratching. I mostly let her scratch the couch, too, even though I wouldn't like her to (I live in a rented apartment, and the sofa is not mine, while the chairs are).

She's calmed down a bit these days. :)

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:04 am UTC

Cats don't generally enjoy nip until they're nearly adults, I think. It mimics the sex pheromones of a male cat, so yes, a self-preserving kitten could well be afraid of it. (Males can be very hostile toward kittens that aren't theirs.)

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:50 am UTC

Thanks for the explanation! :)
Will she be interested in it after sterilisation, though?

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:47 pm UTC

All this talk about cats makes me happy.
Not a rant.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

roband

Postby roband » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:56 pm UTC

I like cats. But I'm allergic to them.
Rant.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:25 pm UTC

PerchloricAcid wrote:Thanks for the explanation! :)
Will she be interested in it after sterilisation, though?
I have a female cat around 13 or 14 years old, who has been fixed since she was about 2 or 3. She goes completely bananas for catnip.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

maninblack
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Postby maninblack » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:27 pm UTC

I don't like cats. All this talk of cats annoys me.
/Mini rant.
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:59 pm UTC

*waits for Dthen*

poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:02 pm UTC

New rules at work. So now when I order something I need today, I have to tell person A to order it, then wait for person B to approve it. It's $66 freaking dollars. I'd just order it with my credit card and expense the damned thing if I could. Basically, screw you accounting department.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Return to “General”