Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ptolom

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ptolom » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:18 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:Password = toryscum (or is that just me?)

This really, really upsets me : royal hoax call nurse dies. I'm not sure what bothers me more :
the two thoughtless idiots who thought this would be funny without stopping to think that some overworked nurse would pick up their call, and from that point of view, no it's not f**ing funny,
the hospital management who, like healthcare management all over the uk rather than standing by their staff instantly declared a witch hunt, or
the uk media in general, who've spent the last couple of months critiquing nurses not finding time to care as much as they would like for patients.

Here's an idea, I don't think many nurses (or most front line public servants) turn up to work in order to sit on their arse, draw their massive salary and insult the public. If they act like they haven't got the time to do their job properly it's because they are overworked, understaffed, underpaid and they don't have the time! Cut them some slack, don't swear at them, don't physically assault them, don't employ some parasitic ambulance chasing lawyer to finish their career and don't make pathetic , immature stunts on public media at their expense. Just a thought.

The understaffing issue is how this government works though. Just closing public services down is unpopular, so they siphon off funding until they can't function anymore, and then take advantage of the media outrage when something inevitably goes wrong.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:24 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:stopping to think that some overworked nurse would pick up their call
I'd imagine usually there would not be overworked nurses answering phones. The NHS does employ receptionists.

The two radio DJs are getting death threats now. The whole thing is spiralling out of what anyone could have imagined from a simple hoax with awful posh accents.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:28 pm UTC

It was 0530 in the morning and she answered the call because the hospital doesn't pay for the switchboard to be manned 24x7. She put the call through to the ward. That's all she did.

Fact remains, even if she made a mistake rather than supporting her to learn from that mistake, as the media are involved the hospital had to cover their arse and say they were investigating the failing. It was a mistake! Two worthless dJs thought they were being clever. I'm sorry but it stinks.
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:33 pm UTC

The hospital does have to investigate why it happens (if only to make sure that nurses have better guidelines on how they confirm identity of who's calling - investigation into an incident does not necessarily mean dire consequences for the person involved). Again, patient confidentiality is something that the healthcare profession has to take seriously.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:50 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:hunter2 is 7 characters...

After you fail to enter the password the page reloads with a different amount of dots.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:54 pm UTC

Yess! I managed to reset it using Shell over Calling Parents.
"It's passwd. Wd, not word!"

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:59 pm UTC

Angua wrote:The hospital does have to investigate why it happens (if only to make sure that nurses have better guidelines on how they confirm identity of who's calling - investigation into an incident does not necessarily mean dire consequences for the person involved). Again, patient confidentiality is something that the healthcare profession has to take seriously.

Agreed and accepted. I'm married to a nurse / midwife and I'm in a line of public service that takes confidentiality very, very seriously. However, there is a line between responsible professional development and continuous learning and improvement from acknowledged mistakes and a public witch hunt to appease the press. In my experience the medical profession (particularly on the nursing side) edges towards the latter over the former.
Spoiler:

PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:07 pm UTC

According the the bbc article, she hadn't even been formally disciplined or suspended from the hospital. It's only been a couple of days since the incident, but you'd have thought if the hospital was doing such a witch-hunt, it would have at least suspended her.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:27 pm UTC

Standard operating procedure (& I'm talking about the NHS here so you'll have to extrapolate for private health) appears to be to imply strongly that you are in all sorts of trouble, leave the matter hanging for months and ( if you're not actually in court or struck off by your beloved colleagues in the RCN) then not tell you if this has appeared on your record or will impact on your career.

So, interesting questions:
What did the hospital do to support her and change their protocols to avoid a repeat of this mistake?
Did the RNC contact her to offer support or did they leave her to sink?
Spoiler:

boXd

Postby boXd » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:56 pm UTC

My pant of the day: when something very sad happens, people always feel the need to complain about something that supposedly caused it, even when the facts aren't (yet) clear. Of course, it's an understandable reaction. The nurse obviously deserved better. But life's still unfair.

(And if that almost made me sound like I need some serious anti-depression therapy, let it be known that I'm in general a pretty upbeat person. Some things just make me feel this sad.)

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:18 am UTC

Yep the universe isn't fair. Never claimed it was. Didn't say fair on the tin.

However, this could have worked out differently if other people had thought a little more or considered the impact of their actions. I'm afraid that's not an easy thing for them to live with but they need to try rather than divert blame.
Spoiler:

boXd

Postby boXd » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:22 am UTC

Jumble wrote:However, this could have worked out differently if other people had thought a little more or considered the impact of their actions. I'm afraid that's not an easy thing for them to live with but they need to try rather than divert blame.

I think you have missed my point entirely.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:31 am UTC

Err, ok. It's 0100 here so I may not be firing on all cylinders.

I'm saying that the nurse in question should never have been put into a situation where she felt stressed enough to take her own life (ok, extrapolating. It's been confirmed as suicide but no evidence of cause. Still one hell of a coincidence). Your point that that I missed was?
Spoiler:

boXd

Postby boXd » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:57 am UTC

Jumble wrote:Err, ok. It's 0100 here so I may not be firing on all cylinders.

I'm saying that the nurse in question should never have been put into a situation where she felt stressed enough to take her own life (ok, extrapolating. It's been confirmed as suicide but no evidence of cause. Still one hell of a coincidence). Your point that that I missed was?

My very point was that people (in this case, you) feel a need to place unreasonable blame on other people (in this case, the other people at the hospital) for something that may not necessarily be a direct consequence of those people's actions. In many cases of suicide, it wasn't a single event in life that suddenly made people decide to kill themselves. Usually, those people have been deeply depressed long before. This is not to say that I can be certain that what you're talking about is *not* the sole cause of suicide in this case, just that at this point there's no reason to be so convinvced that it *is*. That's what annoys and saddens me slightly.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:16 am UTC

Fuck Christmas. You know, it's supposed to be a big day because it's supposedly the day of Jesus's birth. Well, why should that fucking matter? It wasn't Jesus's birth that's important to Christianity, it's his death. If his birth was the big day, then the big symbol of Christianity wouldn't be a cross, it'd be a vagina. Mary's Virgin Vagina. And I'm sick already of hearing about the fucking war on Christmas too. I'm sick of hearing Christmas songs, every day at work, on every channel on the TV that everyone insists on turning on whenever I'm not at work. Christmas trees here, Christmas lights there, Christmas this and Christmas that. FUCK CHRISTMAS ALREADY. AND I HOPE YOUR NEW YEAR SUCKS TOO.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:23 am UTC

Jave D wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS ALREADY. AND I HOPE YOUR NEW YEAR SUCKS TOO.

Cuddles.png
Awww, gives us a biiiig hug, Jave. *smooches*
Cuddles.png (179.58 KiB) Viewed 5168 times
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:10 am UTC

Helped someone with a math problem. Ran through it. Performed an incorrect procedure. Pointed it out. Confused them. Explained the concept. Did not understand. Tried again. Realized an error. Wrote the problem incorrectly. Used the correct procedure for each respective problem, though. Switched to the "correct" problem.

Continued. Reached an answer. Did not match any choices. Checked the result. Was correct. Checked the answers. Yielded wrong numbers. Tried the previous "incorrect" problem. Worked.

Timed this also. Expects them to disregard circumstances.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:51 am UTC

boXd wrote:
Jumble wrote:Err, ok. It's 0100 here so I may not be firing on all cylinders.

My very point was that people (in this case, you) feel a need to place unreasonable blame on other people (in this case, the other people at the hospital) for something that may not necessarily be a direct consequence of those people's actions. In many cases of suicide, it wasn't a single event in life that suddenly made people decide to kill themselves. Usually, those people have been deeply depressed long before. This is not to say that I can be certain that what you're talking about is *not* the sole cause of suicide in this case, just that at this point there's no reason to be so convinvced that it *is*. That's what annoys and saddens me slightly.

Ok, fair point. Guilty as charged of extrapolating from a previous unpleasant experience witnessing how the NHS dealt with human error. Also, you're right to call me out on not knowing the details of this case or the poor ladies mental state before hand.

I'm just sensitive to how easily a justified investigation into protocol failure and learning from honest mistakes can turn into a hunt for someone to blame. I also have first hand (well, second hand) experience of the stress these investigations raise in those who inadvertently find themselves in the spotlight, and in the lack of interest or support available from either management layers or the RCN.

However, I accept I'm guilty of attaching personal details to a case about which I don't have (or want) the details. Also, I see this morning that the backlash is now becoming just as unacceptable, with death threats against the two DJs that started this. Therefore out of respect to all concerned I will now shut up on this subject.
Spoiler:

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:39 am UTC

I found a book of QI facts the other day, and was flipping through when I read something that made me cringe: "Fat is made of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen, the same basic ingredients as are found in graphite, coal, diamonds, as well as cocaine, alcohol and caffeine." QI is meant to be good at things, why has Stephen Fry betrayed me like this? I mean, technically he's not wrong, but he's not exactly being entirely honest, is he?
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:50 pm UTC

But graphite, coal, and diamonds don't contain H or O. Of the millions of compounds made of C, H, and O, they chose 3 that are pretty much just C?

Also, shouldn't that book be "weird/unintuitive/unbelievable but true facts", rather than "things everyone should have learned in school"?
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:54 pm UTC

So the BBC now says that the Australian DJs weren't calling live. I now have so very little sympathy for them - whatever repercussions they thought might happen, I can't imagine any are good!
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:05 pm UTC

That probably is weird/unintuitive to someone with absolutely no understanding of chemistry though. It reminds me of the "Carbon Monoxide is only one atom different to Carbon Dioxode!" type factoids.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:29 pm UTC

So for a sufficiently ignorant person any non-fiction book becomes a book of whacky trivia?

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:37 pm UTC

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:So for a sufficiently ignorant person any non-fiction book becomes a book of whacky trivia?

Only if they're not so ignorant that they don't understand the gist of the information, otherwise it becomes spiritual.

Aside from whatever was going on with that nurse, who the fuck prank calls a hospital what the fucking fuck

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:13 pm UTC

I just think that maybe the fact should have been presented a little differently. Maybe if we attached clarifying statements to factoids more often, people would learn more. As it stands, the message I can see people taking away from that is "wow, I'm practically doing cocaine when I touch these things - better not trust them anymore!" If there'd just been a second sentence, to the effect of, "However, it's not the basic ingredients that determine what properties a chemical has, but rather, the arrangement and amounts of the ingredients present, and the shape they form when put together." Then, I'd be much happier.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:27 pm UTC

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:But graphite, coal, and diamonds don't contain H or O.
Coal has quite a bit of H and O in it. And S.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:33 am UTC

Me without Wikipedia: No, I think it is mostly carbon.

Me with Wikipedia: Well I was thinking of anthracite, the highest grade of coal, which is over 91.5% carbon. But peat must go through the lower grades of coal, that is, lignite, sub-bituminous coal, and bituminous coal, before it becomes anthracite. Lignite can have as little as 60% carbon, with up to 34% oxygen and 6% hydrogen by weight. Say, did you know that jet used for jewelry is compacted lignite? Or that in 1700, five-sixths of the world's coal was mined in Britain? Today, China is the largest producer, (42% of world production), although it consumes as much as it mines. Britain currently produces 0.25% of the world supply.

Oh sorry, should I be panting? I'll try:

Ugh! Why does the British Petroleum website differ so much from the US Energy Information Administration on China's coal production 2009-2010?
Why do I care?

boXd

Postby boXd » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:35 am UTC

Pant: finding out what you want in life is hard.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:39 am UTC

I've been told that oil companies' estimates of things like that are generally more accurate. Admittedly it was by an ex-shell guy.

About fossil fuels that is, not finding out what you want in life. But have you considered making finding an oil field your goal? :-P

boXd

Postby boXd » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:54 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:About fossil fuels that is, not finding out what you want in life. But have you considered making finding an oil field your goal? :-P

No, but thanks a lot for adding one more thing to my way-too-big list of possible goals. :evil: :mrgreen:

yurell

Postby yurell » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:42 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Coal has quite a bit of H and O in it. And S.

Enough U, Th and other radioisotopes to make a coal-fired plant more radioactive at a distance than a nuclear one, too.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:04 am UTC

Bah. I was writing a big post about coal science (area of expertise! Yay!). But I accidentally hit the sidebutton on my mouse, which made the page go back, so I lost it. :evil:

If anyone really wants to know about the properties and compositions of different coal types, and the furnace design for coal power stations that goes along with that, let me know and I'll rewrite it.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:02 pm UTC

Urgh, everything I find to buy for my SO for Christmas is sold out! And there aren't nearly as many "trendy" clothing sites for guys as there are for gals. And he's small and hard to fit. URGH, I say!

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:14 am UTC

All I want in life is Carbon.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:32 am UTC

I want to join the Rant Club.
My Rant: Stupid People.

Who is to Blame? Blame is not the goal. Yet, knowing why may lead to a fix of somekind.

Back Story: I suffered an injury. I spend a great deal of time horizontal. I spend a great deal of time reading this forum, books and internet links. I spend a great deal of time alone.
I have been making an effort to speak to one real three-D person each day.

People are stupid for many reasons beyond the persons control. Genes. One chromasome too many and Down's Syndrome results. Maternal drug and/or alcohol use. Head injuries. Just not smart.

Twice in two days I spoke to human beings that are profoundly undereducated. The things these people say I would not have believed a few years ago.

A thirty-five year old man. This man thinks he knows everything he needs to know. (Hey!He was talking to me I should count that as a plus.)
He did not know the temp. Water boils at. He did not know the temp. Water freezes at.
It can not simply be a lack of qualified schools! He thinks he knows enough. He stated that does. He used word he has heard on tv. He had no idea what those words mean. He wanted to explain probility to me. He does not know what it is.

The culture has shifted. It has happened fast. Cultures tend to be fairly stable.
The schools are not allowed to require students to LEARN! He said the teachers did not know anything. I bet most of his teachers know how hot water nerds to be before it boils.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:51 am UTC

Out of room and not done.

Yesterday my human interaction was with a woman that told me, "No one knows anything. The educated people don't know anything. They, just, went to school so they can act snotty"

Ten years of educational reform has left people in an intelectual frictionless void.

Why!? I see a lack of vitality. These people COULD learn. They don't want to because it will not make them more money.
They don't want to because learning is work. The are lazy.

The stupid shit that people say and do.!

To be fair; I do and say stupid shit.

It was the water thing. As the man talked he said it depends on conditions. Yeah! I thought we were going to talk about elevation above see level.. But, no. The condtions he spoke about were why the water needs to boul.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

yurell

Postby yurell » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:02 am UTC

addams wrote:Yesterday my human interaction was with a woman that told me, "No one knows anything. The educated people don't know anything. They, just, went to school so they can act snotty"

Speaking of people who don't know anything ...
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:07 am UTC

yurell wrote:
addams wrote:Yesterday my human interaction was with a woman that told me, "No one knows anything. The educated people don't know anything. They, just, went to school so they can act snotty"

Speaking of people who don't know anything ...

Well, that is why I want a PhD. That and so I can say "trust me, I'm a scientist" for every irrelevant thing.

"I can't decide between the Oreo and M&M McFlurry."

"M&M is better."

"..really? Cuz.. I like Oreos..."

"Trust me, I'm a scientist."

See, perfect for non-sequiturs.

boXd

Postby boXd » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:54 am UTC

At the hospital now, have to stay here for a day before surgery, then hope they don't kill me, then stay there for a few more days while college goes on.

Thankfully, there is internet.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:55 am UTC

boXd wrote:At the hospital now, have to stay here for a day before surgery, then hope they don't kill me, then stay there for a few more days while college goes on.

Thankfully, there is internet.

Good luck! Don't panic too much, I gather surgeons are pretty good at what they do.

I broke my glasses. Merde.

Return to “General”