Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

RollingHead

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby RollingHead » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:01 pm UTC

I never got an answer, it's like she doesn't even remember I'm angry at her. Since she does this all the time, what will probably happen next is that she'll claim I never told her there was a problem, but since this time I told her in writing she'll claim not to understand what upset me.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:55 pm UTC

So I've been wanting to make a dress after the spirit of this dress for a year or two now. I still haven't figured out what to do with the bead embroidery on the front. It's bad enough that I've just recently finished the corsetry after a long struggle, but now the beading pattern I drew up (different from the original) isn't turning out so well in execution. I don't know if I just need to scrap my pattern and draw up one closer to the original, or somehow find a fragment of an idea for a new pattern, or what.

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:59 pm UTC

I wish I knew how to do that... I made a dress once for a costume party but it was much more primitive and I don't have the time or energy to improve my skills (twelve exams in february).

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:11 am UTC

So "emerge gtk" intuitively installs the haskell gtk bindings, along with all of haskell, qt and a few other things. That was entirely what I expected.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:30 pm UTC

I thought we were done already, with the pantry moth larvae. Why can't we just be done already, with the pantry moth larvae. I didn't want to deal with this at one in the morning.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

boXd

Postby boXd » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:04 pm UTC

Since my ear surgery I now have this problem, which my doctor didn't tell me anything about. It is freakishly annoying, my next checkup is in more than a month, and I'm not sure whether this is reason for concern.

roband

Postby roband » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:47 pm UTC

Can't hurt to book an appointment with your local GP/doctor/whatever, right?

boXd

Postby boXd » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:15 pm UTC

Only had it for a week since they removed the stitches and I started taking showers again. I think I'll wait another week to see if it goes away in the meantime. It probably won't make things worse.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:03 am UTC

Graaaagh!
Last edited by Jave D on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:20 am UTC

boXd wrote:Since my ear surgery I now have this problem, which my doctor didn't tell me anything about. It is freakishly annoying, my next checkup is in more than a month, and I'm not sure whether this is reason for concern.

I have had that. I still get it from time to time.
It comes and it goes. My ear drum was broken.
I took a blow to the side of my head. I live with it.
It is no big deal. I am grateful I can hear.

I came here to Rant about don't ask, don't tell...

I loved it. "Stop. Don't tell me anymore." People are funny.
I can only input so much new information. Sometimes I need time to think. Sometimes I need to stop laughing.
I can hear the rest of the story, later or never. Never is good.

Have you ever had a friend in the closest with the lights out?
I like it in the closest. Not all closets are the same. His was Great! I loved his closet nearly as much as I loved him.

He screamed and got mad when I turned on a light. Not a big deal. I like the dark. Giggles are wonderful
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:30 am UTC

TThe Rant part is that someone changed the meaning of the words.
I don't like that.
How 1984.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:14 am UTC

Those magazine salespeople that walk up to you in the store and start off by saying "you look friendly" before they start the whole "I'm raising money to win a trip" spiel? They're starting to make me a lot less friendly in public. I nearly told one to "fuck off" this evening. Instead, I told her I wasn't interested and started to walk away, which momentarily confused her, before she rushed off.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

yurell

Postby yurell » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:43 am UTC

I once lectured someone like that (wanted to 'ask a few questions') about the body language of deliberately avoiding meeting someone's gaze and what it means.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:24 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:Those magazine salespeople that walk up to you in the store and start off by saying "you look friendly" before they start the whole "I'm raising money to win a trip" spiel? They're starting to make me a lot less friendly in public. I nearly told one to "fuck off" this evening. Instead, I told her I wasn't interested and started to walk away, which momentarily confused her, before she rushed off.
Monetizing human friendliness, turning it into profit for a private organization!
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:01 pm UTC

yurell wrote:I once lectured someone like that (wanted to 'ask a few questions') about the body language of deliberately avoiding meeting someone's gaze and what it means.

Please, explain.
Hypnosis? Humans are like a bunch of snakes; Hypnotic?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:08 pm UTC

My god windows UI fucking sucks so bad.

Connect to WPA network, OSX: select network from dropdown menu, type password, press enter.

Win 7: Right click on wifi menu (oh, you thought you should click on the network directly? poor fool, you will learn the true meaning of despair), open the control panel, "set up a new connection or network", navigate through confusing and annoying wizards for minutes (yes, I'm sure grandma knows what AES encryption is). Fuck.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:31 pm UTC

What? Whenever I click on the network icon in the taskbar, a list of networks pops up similar to the list that pops up in OS X and Ubuntu.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Dason

Postby Dason » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:45 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:What? Whenever I click on the network icon in the taskbar, a list of networks pops up similar to the list that pops up in OS X and Ubuntu.

Same here. Every now and then it doesn't show up with any available networks to connect to but if I wait a little while (or log out and log back in) they'll be there. Then again the last time I used my Windows laptop was... in the summer maybe?
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:53 pm UTC

Dason wrote:Every now and then it doesn't show up with any available networks to connect to but if I wait a little while (or log out and log back in) they'll be there.

There should also be a little refresh button in the window if you're impatient.

Edit: @MenacingSpike: It sounds like your computer might have come with a third party wireless client installed. They're pretty much all worse than the Windows default behavior, but I think some laptop vendors still package them in.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Dason

Postby Dason » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:58 pm UTC

Eseell wrote:
Dason wrote:Every now and then it doesn't show up with any available networks to connect to but if I wait a little while (or log out and log back in) they'll be there.

There should also be a little refresh button in the window if you're impatient.

I try that - doesn't do anything for me. Then again the sound just stopped working a while ago and the battery is very tempermental... I don't really care that much about the laptop and I rarely use it so it doesn't bug me too much. It's main use is for testing the R packages I write to see if they work like I expect on Windows.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

maninblack
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Postby maninblack » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:00 pm UTC

She makes plans to surprise me. My desire to work late today (which she knew about ahead of time) upsets those plans. When I tell her specifically when I plan to be home she offers to cancel her plans instead of telling me what time she wants to be home for this... bah...
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:57 pm UTC

Eseell wrote:Edit: @MenacingSpike: It sounds like your computer might have come with a third party wireless client installed. They're pretty much all worse than the Windows default behavior, but I think some laptop vendors still package them in.

I do have the network list but it hangs on "acquiring network information", then offers a shit-useless troubleshooting wizard.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:24 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:I do have the network list but it hangs on "acquiring network information", then offers a shit-useless troubleshooting wizard.

So the issue isn't that Windows' UI sucks, the issue is that the simple and easy way to do this is broken on your installation. (Which may well be the result of a third party wireless client.)

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:45 am UTC

You know you had a good day when you come home and your shoes smell like beer and human feces and you've cut your finger on broken glass.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:24 am UTC

I'm pretty sure my New Year's Eve plans fell apart.

yurell

Postby yurell » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:46 am UTC

Woot, 50-75% packet loss. I hate the internet at home.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

roband

Postby roband » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:09 pm UTC

Excellent, my office have started the "who gets the out of office cover over Xmas and New Year" discussion early this year!

Set guilt-trip mode to DEFENSIVE.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

Pant: why, google? why do you insist on running youtube into the ground?

I don't understand why you're limiting my video load speed to ~200kbps when my connection speed is 144Mbps. Not to mention that your "send feedback" link is pointed at an "error" page. I know most people don't understand these kind of things, but you have to realize that the people who do aren't going to be very happy about it.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:33 pm UTC

I generally assume that youtube is slow when it's overloaded, not because they're explicitly rate-limiting.

Mostly because I've only noticed buffering issues on higher resolutions at peak times.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:26 pm UTC

Even if that's true (which it very well may be) I still get to complain about blatant lying about the ability to provide feedback. If you're going to point your "feedback" link at an
"error" page, why do you even have a "feedback" link?
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

That is because the world is out to get you. Everyone else gets a friendly feedback page.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

Perhaps the same server load that's causing your videos to buffer slowly, is causing timeouts and errors for the feedback page? IIRC, Google distributes their servers all over the world, so it's entirely possible that the servers in your area are being hard-hit while other people here aren't.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

Listen, idiot, I do not like you. We will NEVER date. WE ARE NOT EVEN FRIENDS. So when you send me this text that at best makes you look like a complete imbecile and at worst makes you look like a stalker, what are you trying to gain? Do you really want me to think you have snuck into the very hard-to-find restricted area that is my job and have been watching me? Or are you just so stupid that you think I'll be so excited you're thinking about me? You are a MORON. If you text me again, I will shank you.
Last edited by UniqueScreenname on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

That sounds creepy. Might I recommend developing a twitch and talking to yourself. Sometimes ya just gotta out crazy.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

He's so stupid, he would probably think I was winking flirtatiously. Seriously, I have never met a more idiotic person in my entire life. These are the guys I can get. It is just not flattering.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

I go on vacation for two weeks, prior to that I didn't really have any work to do anyway so whatever. I get back and still have basically no work to do. Just these time-wasting things that are vaguely defined and I don't get any feedback on so I'm not even sure I'm doing them right.

Where are the bugs or enhancements to work on? How about let me 'waste' my time on something useful like some refactoring? It's not like we're lacking code that could use some cleanup.

gingermrkettle

Postby gingermrkettle » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

Mcafee saas. All the ability to work efficiently and quietly in the background of a communist era East German airport security guard. Add it to a docunent management programme rubbish enought to bsod the video driver (how) of an off the shelf laptop and you have the recipe for magnificent productivity.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:I go on vacation for two weeks, prior to that I didn't really have any work to do anyway so whatever. I get back and still have basically no work to do. Just these time-wasting things that are vaguely defined and I don't get any feedback on so I'm not even sure I'm doing them right.

Where are the bugs or enhancements to work on? How about let me 'waste' my time on something useful like some refactoring? It's not like we're lacking code that could use some cleanup.

This is exactly what I am dealing with right now, except on the drafting side. Don't tell me there's nothing to do but these little lame piddly things, there is plenty of plan updates I could be doing, that would help our efficancy. But nooooo
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:34 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:He's so stupid, he would probably think I was winking flirtatiously. Seriously, I have never met a more idiotic person in my entire life. These are the guys I can get. It is just not flattering.

I have had creepy creepy people be attached to me before, and that thankfully didn't mean much about the general people who did. Just because idiots like you doesn't mean that's everyone who does.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:48 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:He's so stupid, he would probably think I was winking flirtatiously. Seriously, I have never met a more idiotic person in my entire life. These are the guys I can get. It is just not flattering.

It is Not You. Chalk it up to the cultural notions that persistance is all you need to get the girl. Also, the cultural notions that females have to display friendly/non-aggressive body language to strangers that get mistaken for genuine interest from guys that get barely any social interaction to begin with.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Return to “General”