Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

My car's windscreen is taking an absurdly long time to de-mist. I've been sat here for 7 minutes with the engine on and the heater fans at full blast, and it's only now beginning to show some gap in the condensation.

Fuck old cars.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1398
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby freezeblade » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:33 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:My car's windscreen is taking an absurdly long time to de-mist. I've been sat here for 7 minutes with the engine on and the heater fans at full blast, and it's only now beginning to show some gap in the condensation.

Fuck old cars.


I keep a squeegie in the car for this very reason. Stay frosty :D
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby emceng » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

My leg muscle keeps twitching. It feels almost like my phone is vibrating, just 4-6 inches lower on my leg. It is very annoying.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

My internet is soooooooooooooooooooooo weak. There's no reason it can't reach my room from the other side of the house.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:My car's windscreen is taking an absurdly long time to de-mist. I've been sat here for 7 minutes with the engine on and the heater fans at full blast, and it's only now beginning to show some gap in the condensation.

Fuck old cars.


I keep a squeegie in the car for this very reason. Stay frosty :D


I should get one of those. Been meaning to do it, but never got around to it. Probably never will.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

Try driving really slowly around the car park? More engine work = more heat, right?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Try driving really slowly around the car park? More engine work = more heat, right?

Without being able to see where I'm going, that seems like a singularly daft idea.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11128
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Yakk » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

To defog/frost a windshield:

1> Rev engine (in neutral/park) to generate more heat.
2> Set to external circulation with AC and max heat, defrost.
3> Scrape the outside clear of frost.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
Ashlah
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ashlah » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

I've got a 9 month old car that takes that long as well. Pretty much my only complaint about it, but it's really irritating when all I want to do is make the ten minute drive home from work. Absolutely kills my gas mileage too.

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Without being able to see where I'm going, that seems like a singularly daft idea.
In my car there's a long time between "can see 10m in front of me" and "can see the road safely". And the car park is usually empty when I'm leaving.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Xeio » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:Their assumption that we are not intelligent enough to not upload critical stuff on cloud hosting is also incredibly demeaning. This is bullshit.
Eh, I can't say I'd be willing to take that risk if I was your IT/legal department. Though it can depend on what work you do, my work is very touchy about that stuff, leaking NPI information is very very bad. There's oodles of regulations about those kinds of things.

Though my workplace is sane and offers shared network folders for each person to share files, as well as a company portal where we can upload and work on shared spreadsheets/documents.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:To defog/frost a windshield:

1> Rev engine (in neutral/park) to generate more heat.
2> Set to external circulation with AC and max heat, defrost.
3> Scrape the outside clear of frost.


I do rev the engine a bit, but I'm unsure how much defogging time this takes off.
I have no AC. My car is 20 years old. All I have are fans that can direct engine heat at my windscreen.
There was no ice - just condensation, all of it on the inside.

I'll just buy a squeegee.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

Open the window and drive Ace Ventura-style.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

The original Ace Ventura is nearly as old as my car, nearly 20 years old.

Image
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby emceng » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

So had a guy email us about some equipment we might want from an estate sale, blah blah blah. Emailed my boss and said offer X, they're worth Y new. He proceeds to forward this directly to the guy. So, you just wanted to tell them what I think they're worth?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
Jave D
chavey-dee
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Jave D » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

Fuck whoever it is that rips off registration stickers on cars. Why do that? Just because it's a great way to make someone pay 25 up to 100 dollars to the local government, tee hee, fuck people who have registered cars? I hope whoever did it this time dies of cancer. Fucking waste of flesh. Stupid-ass fucking fuck-heads. No, not cancer. I hope they're peeling off someones registration sticker, crouched down behind their car, when the car backs out and runs them over and they die with their intestines squished out of their assholes bleeding in pain on the cold concrete, wishing they'd behaved like less of a dick during their lives but no. Too late for redemption, motherfuckers.

User avatar
yurell
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:19 am UTC
Location: Australia!

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby yurell » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:50 pm UTC

Don't your registration stickers go on the inside of the car?
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?


Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:01 am UTC

It varies state to state. California registration goes on your license plate, in the upper corners. New York goes in the lower left of your windshield, inside. Virginia goes in the lower middle of your windshield, outside.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7572
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby phlip » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:36 am UTC

NSW is getting rid of rego stickers entirely... police cars and speed cameras and such already have OCR licence-plate-reading cameras, and can look up rego details (expiry date, whether the car is stolen, registered owner's license status, etc) automatically on the fly. But before that, they went inside the windshield.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
yurell
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:19 am UTC
Location: Australia!

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby yurell » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:43 am UTC

phlip wrote:NSW is getting rid of rego stickers entirely... police cars and speed cameras and such already have OCR licence-plate-reading cameras, and can look up rego details (expiry date, whether the car is stolen, registered owner's license status, etc) automatically on the fly. But before that, they went inside the windshield.


I hope the rest of the country follows suit.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?


Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:17 am UTC

Xeio wrote:Though my workplace is sane and offers shared network folders for each person to share files


That too, but we're working on a clusterfuck of mini-networks and a guy has gentoo and a guy has xp and a guy has whatever and the paths/names differ on computers. It was nice just emailing a dl.dropbox link :(.

maninblack
Posts: 503
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 2:44 pm UTC
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby maninblack » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:27 am UTC

Jave D wrote:Fuck whoever it is that rips off registration stickers on cars. Why do that? Just because it's a great way to make someone pay 25 up to 100 dollars to the local government, tee hee, fuck people who have registered cars? I hope whoever did it this time dies of cancer. Fucking waste of flesh. Stupid-ass fucking fuck-heads. No, not cancer. I hope they're peeling off someones registration sticker, crouched down behind their car, when the car backs out and runs them over and they die with their intestines squished out of their assholes bleeding in pain on the cold concrete, wishing they'd behaved like less of a dick during their lives but no. Too late for redemption, motherfuckers.

Tee Hee indeed. That's just mean. TBH: I've been tempted to erm ... steal parking tickets off of other people's cars... not to pay them, no, just to throw them out so that the person illegally parked would not know that they got a ticket. I say I've been tempted, I've never actually done it, as it would just be mean. *shrugs* ...

And, I've lived in two states in the US, both had registration stickers on the license plates, and both (I know this from experience) were rather lax about not having the stickers on if the registration was up to date. I've gotten pulled over three times simple because I failed to put the sticker on, and was always given the good old verbal warning.
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.

User avatar
Ashlah
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ashlah » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:58 am UTC

Jave D wrote:Fuck whoever it is that rips off registration stickers on cars. Why do that? Just because it's a great way to make someone pay 25 up to 100 dollars to the local government, tee hee, fuck people who have registered cars?

I think it's more likely that it's because they don't want to pay $25-$100 to renew their own registration, and they figure putting your stickers on their car will prevent them from being noticed and pulled over. That's what I've always assumed about the sticker peelers, anyway.

User avatar
Jave D
chavey-dee
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Jave D » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:22 am UTC

Ashlah wrote:
Jave D wrote:Fuck whoever it is that rips off registration stickers on cars. Why do that? Just because it's a great way to make someone pay 25 up to 100 dollars to the local government, tee hee, fuck people who have registered cars?

I think it's more likely that it's because they don't want to pay $25-$100 to renew their own registration, and they figure putting your stickers on their car will prevent them from being noticed and pulled over. That's what I've always assumed about the sticker peelers, anyway.


I think it's equally likely, but either way, fuck them. I mean I know how much it sucks, which is why I wouldn't inflict it on another person. That's because I'm a better person or something. Or maybe other people are just worse people.

User avatar
yurell
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:19 am UTC
Location: Australia!

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby yurell » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:46 am UTC

I think the state should be punished for the stupidity of the placement.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?


Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby emceng » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

maninblack wrote:
Jave D wrote:Fuck whoever it is that rips off registration stickers on cars. Why do that? Just because it's a great way to make someone pay 25 up to 100 dollars to the local government, tee hee, fuck people who have registered cars? I hope whoever did it this time dies of cancer. Fucking waste of flesh. Stupid-ass fucking fuck-heads. No, not cancer. I hope they're peeling off someones registration sticker, crouched down behind their car, when the car backs out and runs them over and they die with their intestines squished out of their assholes bleeding in pain on the cold concrete, wishing they'd behaved like less of a dick during their lives but no. Too late for redemption, motherfuckers.

Tee Hee indeed. That's just mean. TBH: I've been tempted to erm ... steal parking tickets off of other people's cars... not to pay them, no, just to throw them out so that the person illegally parked would not know that they got a ticket. I say I've been tempted, I've never actually done it, as it would just be mean. *shrugs* ...



I was tempted to instead steal the ticket, so I could place it on my car. Then, when the meter maid comes by I already have ticket, so shouldn't get another one.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau
Posts: 900
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:14 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby bluebambue » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
maninblack wrote:
Jave D wrote:Fuck whoever it is that rips off registration stickers on cars. Why do that? Just because it's a great way to make someone pay 25 up to 100 dollars to the local government, tee hee, fuck people who have registered cars? I hope whoever did it this time dies of cancer. Fucking waste of flesh. Stupid-ass fucking fuck-heads. No, not cancer. I hope they're peeling off someones registration sticker, crouched down behind their car, when the car backs out and runs them over and they die with their intestines squished out of their assholes bleeding in pain on the cold concrete, wishing they'd behaved like less of a dick during their lives but no. Too late for redemption, motherfuckers.

Tee Hee indeed. That's just mean. TBH: I've been tempted to erm ... steal parking tickets off of other people's cars... not to pay them, no, just to throw them out so that the person illegally parked would not know that they got a ticket. I say I've been tempted, I've never actually done it, as it would just be mean. *shrugs* ...



I was tempted to instead steal the ticket, so I could place it on my car. Then, when the meter maid comes by I already have ticket, so shouldn't get another one.

You can get multiple tickets in one time period. I used to live in an often patrolled area and would see cars with up to 5 tickets.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

Was arrested and patted down while walking down the street from work.

Then when I came home, the landlord's dog had pushed my door open and shat on the floor.

Muh private space :(.

User avatar
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby eculc » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

My school's internet connection is not nearly as good as it should be. Seriously, if your upload speed is better than your download speed by a factor of five, you're doing something wrong (not to mention that said upload speed is only about 500 kbps).

you'd think that with three people whose job is to handle technology problems at the school, this problem would have been fixed a while ago. but then, I *did* have to show one of those people that you can find out the physical address of your machine from cmd, so maybe not.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

In 3 hours of mostly wandering around, I was asked for help by 3 different tourists and an old woman.

Am I a shining beacon of hope or something? Leave me alone :cry: .

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Xeio » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

Sorry, I'll stop sticking signs with "Tourist? Ask me a question!" on your back.

User avatar
Whelan
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm UTC
Location: Londonshire.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Whelan » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

I realised that kept happening to me because I'd walk home from work with my 'happy customer service face' still on.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

User avatar
RollingHead
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:47 pm UTC
Location: Italy

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby RollingHead » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

The most frustrating four hour class in which you let the people sitting next to you copy your work letter for letter and they still complain that you don't help them enough because you don't find their typing mistakes for them, not to mention the fact that they don't listen to a word the teacher says because they're too busy asking you what they're supposed to do instead of reading the instructions.

elminster
Posts: 1560
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:56 pm UTC
Location: London, UK, Dimensions 1 to 42.
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby elminster » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

People unable to maintain something, but keep using it and getting frustrated.
If something takes 10 minutes longer each time you use it, more effort and does a worse job. Yet it could be solved in under 2 minutes of maintenance every so often. The effort/time/cost benefit is insanely favourable to maintain it well. Although, poor product design requiring too much maintenance is often overlooked too.

In this case vacuum cleaners. Filters get clogged, no matter what model. If you don't clean take 1-5 minutes to clean them, it may take a whole lot more effort/time with worse results. There's almost no downsides to doing it other than not vacuum cleaning right that minute.
In my case, I share a house and no one knows how to maintain anything despite me telling them and it being prominently displayed on the top centre of the model.
Image

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

elminster wrote: I share a house and no one knows how to maintain anything despite me telling them



Maybe a case of this?

User avatar
yurell
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:19 am UTC
Location: Australia!

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby yurell » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

Yeah, the person with the least tolerance for mess tends to lose out, unless that person has an authoritarian grip on the chores of their house (or arranged it for a friend to come live there so she could have a majority vote on all issues ...).
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?


Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

I just realized that it is more lucrative to beg on the street than to work a minimum wage job like Subway. You get just as much respect, as well. As long as you don't throw it away on drugs and alcohol, you can make > a thousand dollars a week. As opposed to the mandatory maximum of $7.25 * 39 (can't pay your serfs benefits! It's unamerican!) = 282.75 before taxes.

Prices just increased on New Years Day, but none of us serfs, laboring away in the bread mines and being the spat-upon public face of the company, saw a penny of it, while the big lord in the manor, and his family, makes millions every year.

At least they don't complain when we take cookies, or "forget" to pay for our non-discounted meals (unless you do these things too much), or go to McDonalds during our single ten-minute (usually, unless we are busy, in which case there is no) allotted break.

Sometimes I want to be that guy who got up and walked away from everything, to become a hermit living in the mountains, growing/hunting his own food and having fuck-all to do with the world. Buy a farm, sustain myself with what I can grow on it. But the only way you can do that kind of thing and not have the bank take everything you own is to compete with monsanto.

Another rant, about customers:
If you choose to mumble your order, and because of this it gets messed up, you do not have the right to get angry with us. If you cannot talk louder than a certain volume for medical reasons, then write your order down and pass it to us (I like it when people do this, better than talking to them). It is loud behind the counter. Your voice competes with the voices of people in line behind you, the people in line in front of you, my co-workers on the line or the register, the oven, the toaster, the microwave, the telephone, people eating potato chips, people conversing at the tables, and more, and these are all distracting. And they combine into a wall of sound that you need to fight to be heard over. And the people in front of you will also need to fight to be heard over the wall of sound.

If you decide to talk on your phone when you reach the counter, and you are not trying to take somebody's order, do not get angry when we walk away or take the order of the person in line after you.

Do not decide what you want only when you get to the counter. There is a menu you can read while waiting to help you decide what you want.

Speaking of the menu, do not ask me what is on the cold cut. The ingredients are listed on the menu. You can ask how ham can be made from turkey, but I honestly have no answer for you.

And again, with the menu, don't ask me how much something costs. It is on the menu. All of the prices. Though you can ask me to calculate the tax you will pay.

Do not get angry with me when I want to ring you up before putting vegetables on your sandwich. If I decide that this is the appropriate order to take care of your order, it is because time is important. It takes thirty seconds to wash hands properly, ten more to dry them, and another minute to put on the cheapest gloves to be found on the market over damp hands without tearing them and requiring a new pair so that we can put vegetables on your sandwich. It saves your time, my time, and the time of everybody in line behind you to do things this way. And if you refuse to pay until your vegetables are on your sandwich and it is wrapped, I will do everything as slowly as I can. Because that is the price you pay for being the kind of person you are.

If you think I am an asshole for these common sense rules, you may be the reason they exist in the first place. If you think I am an asshole because of the language...well, you would be right.

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:38 am UTC

I realize I'm "that guy on the internet taking one thing out of context" but... don't you separate out the tasks of meat and veg to two workers?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:46 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I realize I'm "that guy on the internet taking one thing out of context" but... don't you separate out the tasks of meat and veg to two workers?

For every shift, certain things need to be done. Bread must be prepared for the next shift and customers must be taken care of. Unfortunately, it is common that only two or three people will be on the clock, meaning one person must do several things. If we are busy and two people are on the clock, the next shift's bread is the first thing abandoned to take care of customers. So, three stations are performed by two people. Usually one person in this case takes care of vegetables and the cash register. If two people are on the clock, unless two hundred thousand people decided all at once to descend on our store (only mildly hyperbole)*, two of us will take care of customers while the shift manager will attend to their bread duties.

*Customers really do tend to show up in hordes. It is as if, at several random time every day, one person out of fifty will decide right at that moment that they want subway and they only want to come to our store. All customers in line will have been taken care of, maybe one person in line, and you look down, and you look back up and a hundred complete strangers will be standing in line as if you had hallucinated how close to being able to take a bathroom break you were.

User avatar
Dason
Posts: 1311
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:06 am UTC
Location: ~/

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Dason » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:57 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:And again, with the menu, don't ask me how much something costs. It is on the menu. All of the prices.

Funny you say that - I was at subway today and was at a loss to find out how much they charge for a fountain drink. It might be somewhere on that menu but if it is they don't make it easy to find (at least at the one I was at).
double epsilon = -.0000001;


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests