Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26519
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

I understand completely.... but stop fucking up orders, and people will stop doing that.

I know, I know, the order process isn't a one-step impossible to screw up thing. First the customer has to tell you to leave it off (assuming they're aware it comes on it in the first place), then the person taking the order has to write it down or remember it correctly, then the person making the thing has to remember to not do this one like the 500 before it, but change it slightly... and then whoever checks has to make sure it's right before it goes out, assuming there is a checker.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5933
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Angua » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:which is still entirely different than saying "i don't like the taste of that". when you mean "i don't like the way that gives me a headache and or makes me feel like shit" then that's what you mean.

not liking the taste of something, and having a physical reaction to ingesting the thing are two different things.
If something gives you a headache or makes you nauseous every time you eat it, you are going to not like that food and find that it has a bad 'taste' (flavour is a better word in these circumstances).

This is why some people have aversions to foods that they had food poisoning with once (I find a lot of people seem to say they don't like mussels now when they used to like it after having food poisoning), or other things like being forced to eat it too much by your parents as punishment or something. Part of flavour is in our psychological associations with the food. You can't easily untangle the aspects to tell someone that they only dislike part of the experience.

Basically, if you want to ruin icecream for someone for life, give it to a kid when they're having chemotherapy as a treat. They will most likely start hating the taste fairly quickly.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26519
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

Thank you, Angua.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Basically, if you want to ruin icecream for someone for life, give it to a kid when they're having chemotherapy as a treat. They will most likely start hating the taste fairly quickly.

So, what you're saying is that you deny cancer kids ice cream?

You monster.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Chocolate is better without nuts. Chocolate is perfect. Nuts are lacking. To add something imperfect to something flawless will only take away from the whole.

However, chocolate and raspberries/strawberries. Two perfects combining = more perfect. It's just math.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

User avatar
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic
Posts: 4751
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Location: Left coast of Canada

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby poxic » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Somewhat related - did you know that people with certain pollen allergies also have problems eating certain fruit. It varies from place to place but a common one in the UK is tree pollen and reactions to apples (though only raw apples). It's not on an anaphylaxis scale, but enough to be annoying.

Oh hai. I've got several pollen allergies going on, and each type of pollen has an assortment of fruit and veg that are kinda related, so hello I CAN'T EAT ANYTHING ON THIS MENU WHY DID WE COME HERE.

Though I seem to have apples back (the allergies are mellowing). Still can't do citrus and anything capsicum (hot pepper, bell pepper, paprika, damnitsomuch), nor strawberries, carrots, celery...

Gah.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

User avatar
PhoenixEnigma
Posts: 2303
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:11 am UTC
Location: Sasquatchawan, Canada
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:54 am UTC

A new panting!

All the business that just salt the sidewalk in front of their storefronts? I hate you. Get out there and spend a couple minute shoveling. It's not that hard. I don't care what conventional wisdom is, here, salt makes things worse. Stop using the damn stuff., Your sidewalks are slushy at best, lumpy ice sheets at worst. Not to mention you get salt over my shoes. BUY A SHOVEL.

Thank you.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Steax » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:30 am UTC

My brother was once banned from eating sugar, milk and wheat. And all its derivatives.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic
Posts: 4751
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Location: Left coast of Canada

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby poxic » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:53 am UTC

So, broccoli? Broccoli.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Steax » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:37 am UTC

And llamas. Always llamas.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:06 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I understand completely.... but stop fucking up orders, and people will stop doing that.
doesn't matter if any one person doesn't fuck up, has to be a useful proportion of people not fucking up.
The real answer is for medical science to finish the study of the immune system and gut flora.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

I have found yet another website that has never heard of double-barrelled surnames. "Please enter a valid surname". Fuck you, registration form, fuck you.

Also, why can nobody spell that surname right when they send me letters? It's not even that complicated, it's just 2 fairly normal surnames strung together.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

Steax wrote:My brother was once banned from eating sugar, milk and wheat. And all its derivatives.

My girlfriends cousin has a fructose intolerance. I simply don't understand that. My downstairs neighbor can only handle white meats, no gluten, no dairy.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
firechicago
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:27 pm UTC
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby firechicago » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I have found yet another website that has never heard of double-barrelled surnames. "Please enter a valid surname". Fuck you, registration form, fuck you.

Also, why can nobody spell that surname right when they send me letters? It's not even that complicated, it's just 2 fairly normal surnames strung together.

Relevant link

This is a really common form of stupidity in form design. And it's frequently exacerbated when the form designers, with all of the delicate social skills and charm that we have come to associate with computer programmers, strongly imply that if your name doesn't fit into their system, the problem is that your name is stupid, not that their system is.

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby pseudoidiot » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Steax wrote:My brother was once banned from eating sugar, milk and wheat. And all its derivatives.

My girlfriends cousin has a fructose intolerance. I simply don't understand that. My downstairs neighbor can only handle white meats, no gluten, no dairy.
I have a friend that can't digest lettuce.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
Ashlah
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ashlah » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I have found yet another website that has never heard of double-barrelled surnames. "Please enter a valid surname". Fuck you, registration form, fuck you.

Also, why can nobody spell that surname right when they send me letters? It's not even that complicated, it's just 2 fairly normal surnames strung together.

Man...fiance and I are strongly considering going the hyphenation route when we get married, and I'm kind of not looking forward to dealing with some aspects of it. I wish we had good combinable-into-one-new-name surnames.

User avatar
Jave D
chavey-dee
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Jave D » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:07 am UTC

Roommate is snoring like he normally does at 4:30, but it's only 10.

Gonna be yet another long fucking night.

FML.

User avatar
Davidy
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:18 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Davidy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:33 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:On the subject of the subway-and-starbucks food-service pant, I have an anecdote:

Walked into a Subway a few weeks ago. Large (tall, not fat) woman in front me me with some sort of developmental disability (definitely a speech disability of some kind, quite plausibly a cognitive one as well from her behavior) was trying to order a "salami and cheese with no bread". The cashier, a small and very shy-seeming woman, and the only other person visibly in the store (though apparently she had a supervisor not visible to me around a corner, apparently hiding from the customer as it seemed to me) was trying to tell the customer that she is not allowed to serve sandwiches without any bread, that she got in trouble for it last time, that her supervisor won't allow her to do it and there's absolutely nothing she can do to help and she is sorry. The customer had begun shouting that she is not supposed to eat bread, her doctor said so. I tried to mediate the situation by suggesting that perhaps the cashier could put the salami and cheese on the bread, and the customer could simply take it off and not eat the bread, but the customer didn't want to hear that, and resumed yelling at the cashier, eventually getting frustrated and storming out threatening to tell her doctor about this.

I waited for the customer to finish storming out, shot the cashier a sympathetic smile and a sigh, she asked me what I would like, visibly shaken by the ordeal, and I told her, while looking at the menu like I was trying to decide, "Yeah, let's get, a, uh, six inch, Spicy Italian, on, uh, no bread..." Beat. She had a kind of "what... what is happening to me" look on her face. I shot a "gotcha" smile at her. She cracked up laughing. Brought a smile to my lunch break to help dissolve the tension there a little. :)


But on the subject of pants, my pant about most fast food places, which Subway (and for that matter Starbucks) definitely defies: Why do all menu items at so many places have to come as complex prepackaged combos of many different ingredients, requiring me to inquire of the cashier what is in an item I'm interested in (sometimes requiring them to find out if they don't know), and then specifically ask them to leave out the items I don't want? I mean, I understand there being a default "if you want a Chicken Sandwich™, it usually comes with chicken, cheese, lettuce, tomatos, and mayo, so if someone just asks for a Chicken Sandwich™ with no details give them that by default" button. But in many places, it seems simply impossible to say "I want this kind of item with these things (and nothing else) in it" -- I have to pick one of the pre-designed options of that kind of item, find out what's in it, subtract what I don't want, and add what I want.

For example, I love the "chalupa" shells at Taco Bell, but I'm not really interested in any of the actual chalupas they sell, for what they put in them. What I want is basically a BRC burrito in a chalupa shell. I know for a fact that they just have bins of ingredients sitting around in back that they slop into whatever kind of item you ask for -- I can see the kitchen from the register. But, and this is the fault of the people who programmed the order computers and not the employees, it is apparently impossible to say "give me a chalupa with beans, rice, and cheese and nothing else". Instead I have to ask for (because the cashiers have to punch in on their computers) something like a Chalupa Supreme, substitute beans for beef, subtract lettuce and onions (I think, it's been a while), and add rice. And heaven forbid if I should want both their regular shredded cheese and nacho cheese sauce both in there. In the end, they usually will ring me up for the pre-programmed item, and walk back to manually tell the kitchen what to make, because even once they punch it into the computer, the instructions that get automatically sent back to the kitchen a convoluted mess of this minus that plus this, instead of just "these ingredients, in this shell".

What's especially infuriating is that some place like Jack In The Box now have automated order machines which work EXACTLY like how I want them: I can go into a JITB, push the chicken sandwhich button, push customize, and then add and or subtract virtually any ingredients I might want, and the receipt prints out that I wanted exactly a chicken sandwich (implying bun and chicken meat) plus these ingredients and presumably nothing else, not some complicated chicken sandwich preset combo minus the stuff that usually comes on it plus other stuff. And yet -- and this is the infuriating part -- apparently their registers aren't that "sophisticated", so the cashiers punching in a verbal order still have to do the preset-minus-stuff-plus-other-stuff runaround. I would have thought, had I been in charge of programming these registers when they first debuted decades ago, that "manually combine ingredients" would be the most rudimentary layer of interface, and the preset buttons would just be shortcuts to quickly combine common groups of ingredients. But apparently not.

Burger King will "make it your way." Wendy's does the same. McDonald's builds to a formula but will eliminate ingredients if you ask. I occasionaly eat fast food and often request a custom change; I've never been refused.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

User avatar
Davidy
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:18 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Davidy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:39 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I have found yet another website that has never heard of double-barrelled surnames. "Please enter a valid surname". Fuck you, registration form, fuck you.

Also, why can nobody spell that surname right when they send me letters? It's not even that complicated, it's just 2 fairly normal surnames strung together.

I have several email addresses. One, that I use for specific purposes is eight numeric digits, followed by the @, etc. i have encountered web sites which ask for an email address tell me that it isn't a valid address.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5448
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:27 am UTC

Davidy wrote:Burger King will "make it your way." Wendy's does the same. McDonald's builds to a formula but will eliminate ingredients if you ask. I occasionaly eat fast food and often request a custom change; I've never been refused.

Pretty much everyone will customize orders for you these days, that's not my complaint. The "customization interface" is what I'm panting about. Instead of asking for just a burger/sandwich/whatever with the exact ingredients I want, I have to ask for named menu item which is a preconfigured burger/sandwich/whatever, determine what all comes with that by default, and then ask for additions or substractions or substitutions from that template.

Say for example I wanted a burger with exactly the following and nothing else: two ground beef patties, American cheese, and bacon. If I went to, say, a Jack in the Box, and asked for a "double cheeseburger with bacon", or a "cheeseburger with two patties and bacon", or "a hamburger with double meat, cheese and bacon", or any natural-language description of exactly what I want, they (if the staff on hand were feeling intelligent) might suggest a Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburger™ as fulfilling that description. If I accepted that, I would then get a burger with two patties, American cheese, and bacon, sure... plus lettuce, tomato, probably ketchup and mustard or maybe mayonnaise I don't know I don't actually eat there much, but either way a bunch of things I never asked for. Which is perfectly understandable for a default menu item that comes with some standard fixings; if someone asks for a Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburger that's fine it it comes with all that.

But if I wanted exactly what I wanted, it's not enough to know that this restaurant has burgers, cheese, and bacon, and ask for them to be combined for me. I would have to first know that their only standard burger which comes with two patties, American cheese, and bacon is called the "Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburger™", and then know that it comes with all of those other things, and request a "Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburger, hold [all the other things]". I can't just ask for a precise item without first knowing their menu inside and out. And then even if the people working the register were smart enough (or cared enough) to try to give me exactly what I want without trouble, then they would still have to face the same challenge as I would in order to enter it into their order system.

The shortcut I've found sometime works some places is to ask for an item "plain", and then add the items that I do want on it. But even that causes confusion. If I ask for, say, a plain chicken sandwich plus cheese and mayo, and it turns out that mayo comes on the chicken sandwich to begin with, often times the people at the register will be confused as to why I ordered it plain instead of just asking to hold the items I didn't want (because I don't know what it comes with because I don't have every damn fast food restaurant menu memorized). And even past that hurdle, the kitchen may see the "plain" on the order and skip the mayo, even though it says "plus mayo" later. So in some ways that solution just causes more problems.

An easy solution I've seen at some smaller local places is an explicit "build your own" option on their menu. It'd be great if the big chains could just adopt that; if I could go into that Jack In The Box and say just say "Hi, I'd like a Build-Your-Own burger, with cheese, bacon, and extra meat", and the guy on the other end of that conversation could just punch "BYO, +chs, +bcn, +xmt". Easier for everyone: me, the cashier, and the kitchen.

Davidy wrote:I have several email addresses. One, that I use for specific purposes is eight numeric digits, followed by the @, etc. i have encountered web sites which ask for an email address tell me that it isn't a valid address.

I hate Facebook and neither have nor want an account with them, but I had to register a fake account with them to use when I was developing a site that was partially powered by Facebook. I set up an account on my own mailserver with the username "nobody", to use specifically for signing up for things that I knew weren't spam but didn't want linked to my normal email address for whatever reason. When I tried signing up with that, Facebook basically told me "No seriously, we need a real email address." In pretty conversational language like that, too. The age of pseudonymity is ending when a perfectly valid, real email address is rejected because it doesn't look like a real name...
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26519
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:08 am UTC

I had to have Facebook email me at my work account to verify that my name was my name.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Adacore » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:13 am UTC

I can see how it could be completely rational to exclude *nobody* email addresses from the automatic system, since the number of real email addresses with that string is likely to be miniscule compared to the number of people trying to use the string as part of a fake email address. It's easier for them to have a human process the few genuine requests than it is to accept all the fake ones. I gather Facebook is considerably more aggressive than this, though, in insisting on real-person-with-a-real-name authentication.

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1398
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby freezeblade » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:18 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Say for example I wanted a burger with exactly the following and nothing else: two ground beef patties, American cheese, and bacon. If I went to, say, a Jack in the Box, and asked for a "double cheeseburger with bacon", or a "cheeseburger with two patties and bacon", or "a hamburger with double meat, cheese and bacon", or any natural-language description of exactly what I want, they (if the staff on hand were feeling intelligent) might suggest a Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburger™ as fulfilling that description. If I accepted that, I would then get a burger with two patties, American cheese, and bacon, sure... plus lettuce, tomato, probably ketchup and mustard or maybe mayonnaise I don't know I don't actually eat there much, but either way a bunch of things I never asked for. Which is perfectly understandable for a default menu item that comes with some standard fixings; if someone asks for a Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburger that's fine it it comes with all that.

Interestingly enough, in your example, the Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburger will only contain what you wanted, meat, cheese, bacon, bun. No fixings come with that particular burger. But your point is taken.
Last edited by freezeblade on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26519
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:20 am UTC

I'm sure it's due to my surname being a sarcastic answer to the question as it's the same name as an overpriced blue jean company.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby roband » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:24 am UTC

Dear god, smelling the bacon and sausage baguette being eaten by a colleague whilst attempting to decide between an apple or nothing (for breakfast) is painful.

Chen
Posts: 5577
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Chen » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:An easy solution I've seen at some smaller local places is an explicit "build your own" option on their menu. It'd be great if the big chains could just adopt that; if I could go into that Jack In The Box and say just say "Hi, I'd like a Build-Your-Own burger, with cheese, bacon, and extra meat", and the guy on the other end of that conversation could just punch "BYO, +chs, +bcn, +xmt". Easier for everyone: me, the cashier, and the kitchen.


You know I suspect this is a customer support type thing. You know when they make an option like that someone is going to create their own burger, determine its the same as X burger minus some thing and then complain to all hell their burger is too expensive.

IamTrey
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:18 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby IamTrey » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

Sorry, just ignore this.
Last edited by IamTrey on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1842
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:also, marzipan is made from the devil's semen....it should never be inserted into someone's mouth (so.very.gritty. {most of the time, and it's impossible to tell if it's going to be mealy powderpaste until it's already too late})


All depends on hows it made - it sounds like the ones you've had they had not enough water or the temperature too high.

Good marzipan is delicious.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby emceng » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

One of our vendors is getting really annoying. We need to rent a piece of equipment from them. So I got a quote. Then found out it was being delayed. So told them that. He's bugging the fuck out of me to get him a PO for the rental that isn't happening for a couple of weeks. Our old sales guy was great. The new one feels like a damned used car salesman with all the high pressure tactics. Two emails yesterday, called my desk phone, called my work cell, then two calls again today. Screw you 858 area code, you're not getting answered.

Edit for further work rant. 20 hours is not enough advance notice to have people attend training. If you want someone to get training, they need to make sure they have that time free. Not letting them know until the day before is not helpful.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1398
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby freezeblade » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Screw you 858 area code, you're not getting answered.


Heh. He's down in San Diego. I don't answser 858's because I used to live down there, and never changed my phone number, so it's usually spam calls. They can leave a message.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Adacore » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:31 am UTC

emceng wrote:Edit for further work rant. 20 hours is not enough advance notice to have people attend training. If you want someone to get training, they need to make sure they have that time free. Not letting them know until the day before is not helpful.

Both me and some of my friends at other companies here have had 'Oh, by the way, we have an overnight retreat/workshop on Friday and all day Saturday*', with about 2 days notice. My best friend had that this week, and nearly had to cancel all her Friday evening and Saturday plans (including a birthday party tonight, and the first script readthrough of Vagina Monologues tomorrow, which she's directing this year). She managed to get out of it, but I don't think her boss was happy.

*We don't work Saturdays.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby emceng » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:
emceng wrote:Edit for further work rant. 20 hours is not enough advance notice to have people attend training. If you want someone to get training, they need to make sure they have that time free. Not letting them know until the day before is not helpful.

Both me and some of my friends at other companies here have had 'Oh, by the way, we have an overnight retreat/workshop on Friday and all day Saturday*', with about 2 days notice. My best friend had that this week, and nearly had to cancel all her Friday evening and Saturday plans (including a birthday party tonight, and the first script readthrough of Vagina Monologues tomorrow, which she's directing this year). She managed to get out of it, but I don't think her boss was happy.

*We don't work Saturdays.


Holy crap, that's way worse, and terribly shitty of your boss or organizer.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

Is it possible to block all Unknown calls?
I keep receiving automated calls on my cell phone from a gym I used to attend, except they closed down and got sold and changed their name and I guess the phone numbers database. And they are from Unknown.

Saturday I received one at six AM. And couldn't get back to sleep. I still want to re-enact that scene from Office Space with the whole entire gym and everything in it as the printer.

User avatar
yurell
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:19 am UTC
Location: Australia!

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby yurell » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

Ugh, I wish I had more Daddy Long-Legs in my room, so they could eat all the mossies.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?


Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

User avatar
ahammel
My Little Cabbage
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 am UTC
Location: Vancouver BC
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby ahammel » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

Just learned that the reason renovations have stopped on the hotel next door to my apartment building is that it's full of asbestos and black mould.

Wheeee.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

User avatar
yurell
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:19 am UTC
Location: Australia!

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby yurell » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

And overnight the hotel becomes worthless :P
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?


Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1398
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby freezeblade » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:10 am UTC

Getting ready to do taxes.

Oh. Can't find SS Card or Birth Certificate. That's awesome. *search entire house all day* Nothing.

Well shit. All I have is an expired temp Passport and current Drivers license, which isn't enough.

This might put a snag in things.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
Ashlah
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ashlah » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

You need your SS card and birth certificate to file your taxes?

User avatar
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby eculc » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

2 feet of snow? Fun.

2 feet of snow that I have to shovel off my sidewalk? Not fun.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:You need your SS card and birth certificate to file your taxes?
I've never needed anything other than a driver's license (or any photo id really) and my financial papers to have my taxes done.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests