Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

roband

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby roband » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:16 am UTC

There's a simple test to determine if someone's claim of Irishness is true.

St Paddy's Day or St Patty's Day?

Simple.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:14 am UTC

Which is the correct answer?

I've always heard "Irish" people say St Paddy's Day but seeing as the Irish for Patrick is Padraig I'd have expected that to be the correct answer. I've never heard anyone say St Patty's Day.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:26 am UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:Focus groups always get asked "if [brand/product] was a person, what would they be like?" and EVERY focus group is terrible at this question, and I'm really growing to loathe listening to it.

If you were a person, what would you be like?
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

roband

Postby roband » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:43 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:Which is the correct answer?

I've always heard "Irish" people say St Paddy's Day but seeing as the Irish for Patrick is Padraig I'd have expected that to be the correct answer. I've never heard anyone say St Patty's Day.

In my experience, Americans celebrate St Patty's Day.

I've never met an Irish person who didn't call it St Paddy's Day.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

This year I found myself in Trafalgar square, drinking magner's and shouting 'Dydd Paddy sant hapus' between verses of Kiss Me I'm Shitfaced. So what am I?
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

roband

Postby roband » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Fun?

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

roband wrote:There's a simple test to determine if someone's claim of Irishness is true.

St Paddy's Day or St Patty's Day?

Simple.
isn't that useless for the American accents which have the d-t merger?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

roband

Postby roband » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

You can make it a written question, if you prefer.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

Yeah, we are on a forum, after all.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

roband

Postby roband » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

Woah, how'd you make your voice so angled?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

roband wrote:Woah, how'd you make your voice so angled?

TRADE SECRET
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

roband wrote:Woah, how'd you make your voice so angled?

Screen Shot 2013-04-30 at 3.08.48 PM.png

"Because, italics: This night did *not* happen."[1]
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

I've always heard it as St Paddy's day. I saw something on facebook yesterday talking about how you know when you're Irish and they had that down as one which I thought was odd.

I have a family member named Patrick and we called him Paddy-paws when he was younger. Maybe I've only heard it that way in my head if people have said it differently (my family doesn't have any Irish that I recall).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

Yea, I don't know. Florida's dialect has done me no favors.

Anyway T and D are just voiced and unvoiced sibilants of the same sound; there are also at least 2 other consonants you can produce with enough effort.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

roband wrote:
eSOANEM wrote:Which is the correct answer?

In my experience, Americans celebrate St Patty's Day.

I've never met an Irish person who didn't call it St Paddy's Day.

Ah, this might be because most American accents don't distinguish between intervocalic "tt" and "dd" (or "t" or "d" in many cases) with them all being [ɾ].

Fire Brns wrote:Yea, I don't know. Florida's dialect has done me no favors.

Anyway T and D are just voiced and unvoiced sibilants of the same sound; there are also at least 2 other consonants you can produce with enough effort.

Errr, t and d are not sibilants unless your accent is really weird (to the extent that it would sound to other speakers like a speech impediment). Also, I'm not sure what the last bit of the sentence is meant to mean. English has loads of consonants, of course there are far more than 2 other ones.
my pronouns are they

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

I think what roband was trying to gesture at was that t and d are made with the same place and manner of articulation, differing only in voice. I assumed he was suggesting that there are two other consonants that can be made with the same manner and place of articulation as well, but I'm lost as to what those might be or how they would differ. (Obviously, there are plenty of others which share the same place and differ in manner, but I don't think he means things like s/z/n...).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

It depends on what you mean by sibilant. I am using a reasonably correct definition. You are probably thinking of fricatives, d and t are affricatives.
And Pfhorrest got it. One sound I can think of offhand is the start of the Chinese word for road, tao (道) which is not quite a T or D.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I think what roband was trying to gesture at was that t and d are made with the same place and manner of articulation, differing only in voice. I assumed he was suggesting that there are two other consonants that can be made with the same manner and place of articulation as well, but I'm lost as to what those might be or how they would differ. (Obviously, there are plenty of others which share the same place and differ in manner, but I don't think he means things like s/z/n...).

You mean Fire Brns right? The thing is, t and d are not distinct in most American accents between vowels like that

Fire Brns wrote:It depends on what you mean by sibilant. I am using a reasonably correct definition. You are probably thinking of fricatives, d and t are affricatives.
And Pfhorrest got it. One sound I can think of offhand is the start of the Chinese word for road, tao (道) which is not quite a T or D.

No. T and d are definitely not sibilants (which are a subset of fricatives and affricates). Or affricates for that matter (again, unless you speak with an accent so different that someone not familiar with it would interpret it as a speech impediment). What t and d are is stops/plosives.

The t in tao is an unaspirated t. English does have and use both aspirated and unaspirated unvoiced plosives however this distinction is not phonemic (the aspirated form only really occurs initially e.g. stop is unaspirated whilst top is aspirated).

Anyway, of alveolar stops, the following list is fairly exhaustive: unvoiced, aspirated, voiced, ejective, implosive and nasalised.

Edit: Also, t and d aren't even stops between vowels in most american accents. Instead they merge to become a flap consonant and there's only a single alveolar flap consonant (although it can have differing degrees of rhoticity).
my pronouns are they

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

I still can't say my t's properly after nearly 9 years of living in the UK. They either come out as d's or way over emphasised, because I have to kind of leave a gap around them. This was somewhat problematic when I spent 3 years living with someone named Bertie, who was also very quick to point out any aspects of my accent he found amusing. (I basically spent 3 years never actually using his name except where absolutely necessary...)

Also problematic: butter, water.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:It depends on what you mean by sibilant. I am using a reasonably correct definition.

The only definition of sibilant I know of (or can find on a cursory search) is a specific subset of fricatives and and affricatives: sounds like s, sh, z, zh, ts, tsh, dz, dzh, etc...

You are probably thinking of fricatives, d and t are affricatives.

Not in any dialect I've ever heard. Affricatives are sounds that start as plosives and end as fricatives, like ts (as in tsunami), tsh/ch (as in chaff), dzh/j (as in jack and jill), the rare pf (as in my name), etc...

eSOANEM wrote:You mean Fire Brns right?

Yeah, I sloppily read the quote tags when replying.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:42 pm UTC

felltir wrote:
TimelordSimone wrote:Focus groups always get asked "if [brand/product] was a person, what would they be like?" and EVERY focus group is terrible at this question, and I'm really growing to loathe listening to it.

If you were a person, what would you be like?

Terrible, I'm sure.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Wed May 01, 2013 4:36 pm UTC

Ugh, I know ranting isn't very helpful in solving the problem, but it's either this or continue to yell at a wall.

I start to hate academia. I was fine with being thrown in the cold water, it's part of growing up after all. I was fine with having no guidance, because no one but me knows what I want. I was fine not knowing what I want, because... well, I don't know what I want. I was fine with having to take classes that have nothing to do with my course of study. I was fine with jumping through hoops to get to take the test in said classes. But now I have the luxury to take a class, that I don't care much about, that I'm woefully underprepared to take, that is notorious for a high failing rate. Which all could be fine, except that, if I'll fail this class, I'll need to continue studying for another semester, which will put me another six months behind schedule and 2000€ in debt. Because of one class. (Okay, there are other classes that I can fail and that would have the same consequences, but those classes are much easier)

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed May 01, 2013 11:42 pm UTC

my gearheads thread is crickets.

fre brns, i summon thee! participation requested.

also, feel free to pose questions from the less mecanically inclined, sure there are one or two expert opinions among us.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu May 02, 2013 1:34 am UTC

Since you started the thread, maybe try starting with a topic. If people are interested, they'll participate.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu May 02, 2013 4:02 am UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Since you started the thread, maybe try starting with a topic. If people are interested, they'll participate.

ah yes, good advice indeed.
bit scatter brained these days. i seem to have the proverbial ball rolling now though, so everything is all hunky dory.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon May 06, 2013 2:07 am UTC

I've been using Skype to stay in touch with both my parents and the UK office of my company since I came to Korea 2 years ago. Apparently some new law (or new interpretation of an old law) means that online telecommunications services in Korea are now illegal unless they're Korean. So in order to purchase any products on Skype, you have to go through their Korean partner, Daesung. Naturally, Daesung, being a Korean online company, have a terrible web interface, requiring Windows and IE to use, with about 5 plugins that need to be installed to process payments. But I could survive that - I'm used to Korean web services - what's really pissed me off is that the range of products available is so much more limited. It doesn't seem like you can buy single-country subscriptions (except for Korea) with Daesong, and there seems to be no way for me to renew my UK Skype number (which expires today) through them. Plus, the services that are available are all about 50% more expensive through Skype-Daesung than they were with Skype.

So if I want to be able to make calls back to the UK with a subscription like I was doing before, I need to buy a package of unlimited calls to any landline worldwide, which costs way more than the 520 minutes per month to UK landlines package I had before. I know I could get a proxy to use the UK website, but it's still bullshit. I hate protectionism at the best of times, but I actually need my Skype subscription, so this is really annoying me.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon May 06, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:I've been using Skype to stay in touch with both my parents and the UK office of my company since I came to Korea 2 years ago. Apparently some new law (or new interpretation of an old law) means that online telecommunications services in Korea are now illegal unless they're Korean. So in order to purchase any products on Skype, you have to go through their Korean partner, Daesung. Naturally, Daesung, being a Korean online company, have a terrible web interface, requiring Windows and IE to use, with about 5 plugins that need to be installed to process payments. But I could survive that - I'm used to Korean web services - what's really pissed me off is that the range of products available is so much more limited. It doesn't seem like you can buy single-country subscriptions (except for Korea) with Daesong, and there seems to be no way for me to renew my UK Skype number (which expires today) through them. Plus, the services that are available are all about 50% more expensive through Skype-Daesung than they were with Skype.

So if I want to be able to make calls back to the UK with a subscription like I was doing before, I need to buy a package of unlimited calls to any landline worldwide, which costs way more than the 520 minutes per month to UK landlines package I had before. I know I could get a proxy to use the UK website, but it's still bullshit. I hate protectionism at the best of times, but I actually need my Skype subscription, so this is really annoying me.

north korea, or south? that sounds absolutely terrible. im curious though, how are you buying products off of skype? through your uk branch or what?

also, rant: sometimes, i just wish my brain would STFU when im trying to sleep at night. got maybe three hours sleep last night, dragging today. on the plus side, i think i had some major breakthroughs and ran a TON of numbers on a project i have been stuck on for the longest of times, so thats good. still though BRAIN, why, oh why can you not get inspired when im not completely and utterly physically exhausted?

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue May 07, 2013 12:08 am UTC

South Korea - I'm buying products through the link in the Skype application. You click on that, it directs you to the main Skype website, which immediately redirects to Skype-Daesung, because I'm in South Korea. As I say, a proxy would defeat it, but it's frustrating. There's a lot of protectionism in general in South Korea - it's difficult for a foreign company to do business here without a Korean partner, and you rarely see non-Korean products in many contexts where I would normally expect to - most electronics are Samsung or LG branded (although you do see some Apple stuff), almost all cars are Hyundai, Kia or Samsung (I expect I could go into the car park at my work, where there are probably about 500 cars, and not be able to find a single car that isn't Hyundai, Kia or Samsung, although there's a small chance there might be a couple of small Chevys), the mapping services provided by Daum and Naver are superior to those from Google here, and I doubt that's because Google doesn't want to get into the market.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue May 07, 2013 1:13 am UTC

"We've landed half an hour early. Unfortunately the gate is still occupied."

Well, we'll still be twenty minutes early anyway...

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue May 07, 2013 1:30 am UTC

Did I say early?

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed May 08, 2013 12:50 am UTC

If that is a plane which landed thirty minutes early, personal experience says you cannot possibly be telling the truth. Took off thirty 180 minutes late, I can relate to.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed May 08, 2013 1:20 am UTC

Longhaul flights are fairly frequently a decent chunk of an hour or more early (if you get a good tailwind for a lot of the way), and very rarely late, provided they take off on time. I don't know how reliable high-altitude winds are and how much they can be factored into the flight time estimates, but I think there's still quite a range of time a given flight could take, depending on the weather, and they normally (sensibly) estimate towards the upper end of that range.

Takeoff delays, however, are utterly infuriating. I had a 90-minute delay on my flight from Dubai to Seoul last week, which resulted in me missing my connection in Seoul, and it was a train connection, not another flight, so there was no recourse except to cancel the train ticket and find an alternative means of transport. I book that train because, if everything runs to time, the journey is incredibly smooth and efficient, but it doesn't give much room for delays.

elminster

Postby elminster » Wed May 08, 2013 5:27 am UTC

Why do fabric surface mouse mats use glue that just doesn't stick after quite a short time. Probably due to price, but really doesn't need that much more to be spent on adheasive to make it stick for 10x longer.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Thu May 09, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I just cannot bring myself to give even half a fuck about revising about my haematology, histology, parasitology or infection science exams over the next 2 weeks. I really could not care even the slightest bit less about any of it any more.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!

yurell

Postby yurell » Thu May 09, 2013 11:42 pm UTC

*Gives hugs* That sounds like you're burnt out. If you have the opportunity, try taking one day off completely from study to exercise or participate in some other leisure activity; this will help you psychologically much more than a day of not-quite-studying.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Fri May 10, 2013 1:57 am UTC

If I'd started studying, I'd agree.

On what I'm sure is probably a related note, for the last few days, I've really not wanted to socialise at all. Today was the same, I woke around 5pm, had food, decided to go to bed around 6... Decided that first I should warn my mum that in 3 or 4 months if I don't get a job, she might have to help me with rent. Couldn't sleep after that but I came down to share dinner a few hours later. With dinner I had a cider. After which I had a few more ciders, and now after a few hours just having fun and laughing with the housemates, I feel much better. Probably still not enough to get any real studying done but, my whole mood is much more positive.

This isn't a rant at all, just an update. One that kinda expands on the subtext of my previous post. (Although it's probably subtext only I knew was there.)
Weeks wrote:

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri May 10, 2013 2:32 am UTC

Spoilered for non-rant in rant thread that could resemble advice but I don't know what it is
Spoiler:
If it helps, think about how much I would enjoy learning about those subjects. Are you a biology major? Pre-med? I was Clinical Laboratory Science, and I took half those classes, but not all of them, so I want to encourage you to enjoy it from afar if possible.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Fri May 10, 2013 2:54 am UTC

Thanks.
Spoiler:
UniqueScreenname wrote:Spoilered for non-rant in rant thread that could resemble advice but I don't know what it isIf it helps, think about how much I would enjoy learning about those subjects. Are you a biology major? Pre-med? I was Clinical Laboratory Science, and I took half those classes, but not all of them, so I want to encourage you to enjoy it from afar if possible.

Biomedical Science, basically I'm gonna end up doing either pathology screening or research somewhere. I loved the classes it's just, my first exam is in 3 days and my last one is in 11 days and I just totally cannot even pretend to care about whether you need Ca or Mg or Succinyl CoA in the initial synthesis of haem. (just the Succinyl CoA, if you care.) And actually doing the revision is so much effort because I've got to wade through maybe 45 powerpoint presentations that may or may not be repeating themselves and may or may not rely on you having been at the lecture. So I have no way of knowing if a particular one will have all I need or just the diagrams that were explained to me 6 months ago when I may or may not have been horrendously hungover and... And now I just feel like I'm making excuses for myself that really aren't justified.
Weeks wrote:

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri May 10, 2013 3:04 am UTC

45 powerpoints is certainly a justifiable obstacle. And I honestly have no advice on how to help, as I struggle with that mentality on a daily basis. I'm sorry.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Link

Postby Link » Fri May 10, 2013 8:19 am UTC

Y'know what, laptop? Fuck you and your dislike of temperatures above freezing.

It's always been quick to overheat, but it used to be fine unless I was compiling a lot of stuff and forgot to throttle my CPU. Right now, though, I have both cores throttled to 500MHz and I'm doing nothing more than browsing the fora, and it's still almost up to 60 °C while it's on a bloody cooling pad. Yes, cleaning the fans and cooling pad should probably help, but it's still fucking ridiculous.

"Laptop" is a bit of a misnomer for this thing. If I were to put it on my lap, it'd be more of an "AAAAAARGH MY LEGS!!!"-top.

Return to “General”