Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

addams

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby addams » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:I AM SOOOOOO BORED!!!!!!!!!

Honey;
You have the internet.
Bored is bad.

With the internet is one level of bored.
Without the internet is a different level of bored.

I was facing that a few hours ago and that may very well return.
I will miss this machine. I miss my Mac.

I have questions:
Did the Police take my things?
If so, replacing them would be stupid. They will take my things, again.

If not, what to replace it with? Is windows good enough?
The machine I am using now is windows. It seems good enough.

The one I was using yesterday was hacked. That is something I can not protect myself against.

Rant? Sure, I have a Rant.
What have the Wars been for?!
If I do not agree with the Powerful I may not speak?

It is too difficult to rant about it. I will enjoy the internet and the xkcd forum for now.

What I said on the stage on Thursday was,
"It's Not Fair. The poor are not treated fairly.
The social security system distrebuts resurcoses unfairly.
A man that works for minimum wage recieves 500 dollars a month.
A man that makes 100 thousand dollars a year recieves nearly 4 thousand dollars a month.
It's Not Fair! Old people and disabled people beg on the street for money to buy food. It's Not Fair!"

That is what they don't want me to say? Why?
Don't all people know this, already?
I am simply stating the obvious!

oh. And; I can't spell!
It is not your fault I can not spell.
Some of the computers can spell.

The computers are amazing.
You live in interesting times.

I was told the Chinese used those words as a curse.
"May you live in interesting times."

Those words were not a blessing. Someone explained it to me.
It was also explained to me, It was my job to Not be in history books.

When we live in Peace and quite joy, our names do not go into the History books.
Who gets their names in History Books? Asshole. A lot of Assholes, some good people and many, many nameless heroes.
Many people do not get their names into history books.

It is better to have your name written into the hearts of people that love you for good reason than it is to be a big Somebody to a bunch of Assholes.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

addams wrote:It is better to have your name written into the hearts of people that love you for good reason than it is to be a big Somebody to a bunch of Assholes.

quoted for truth.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

teenidle

Postby teenidle » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

addams wrote:With the internet is one level of bored.
Without the internet is a different level of bored.

Bored with the internet is the worst kind of bored.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:I AM SOOOOOO BORED!!!!!!!!!

Ditto. I just returned from a 3-week trip, and I don't know what to do now. I've been back since Friday and haven't done more than sleep, waste time on Reddit, and lie on the couch rewatching Scrubs.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

Try watching Youtube channels about science and education and stuff. Edutainment! I highly recommend Crash Course.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

When I wrote that, I was at work. No access to YouTube.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:12 am UTC

Ah, work is different. "Here, stay in this one place all day and have no fun in case we have something for you to do."
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:28 am UTC

I can access YouTube, Facebook, imgur, and most of Reddit. I can access this forum, as well as a couple others I'm a member of. I used to have access to Flickr, but they just blocked it a couple weeks ago. Some of the webcomics I read are blocked, and pretty much any online radio is blocked except for Live365, which I don't like.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Dark Avorian

Postby Dark Avorian » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:10 am UTC

For fuck's sake. If your video streaming set up is "optimizing video quality", what the fuck does that mean. Clearly it doesn't mean you're actually checking to see if it can stream for more than 2 seconds contiguously. Maybe you should just give me the fucking controls. I am not a snob, I can deal with slightly worse picture quality.

Alternatively, I could buffer your video. But you little shits decided to not actually show how much of the video has been buffered. Actually, heres a big rant about buffering:

For fucks sake, did someone put your brain in a blender? Because that is the only explanation I can conceive of that does not involve a massive government conspiracy to test my anger management skills for why no one seems to be able to get buffering right. First, what percentage of your skull needs to be devoured by roaches before you think it's a good idea to not show me how much has buffered. It is obviously not hard, Youtube has had it in big red bars for years now. On a similar note, if you've committed any of the following cardinal sins may you be roasted on a spittle running taint to temple for all eternity: If you decided to make your buffering bar a tiny shade darker/lighter than the rest of the bar, your are evil. If you rebuffer when someone skips to place that has already buffered, go sit in an spike filled pit and thing on your mistakes.

Additional complaints: do not prevent me from skipping outside your buffer zone.

Also, time to sound like a privileged little shit: Hey college, can I ask why the fuck you only award merit scholarships to entering freshmen? Somehow their performance on certain tests is more deserving of aid than me taking one of the most rigorous courseloads a freshmen can take at this school and maintaining a 4.0.

EDIT: AND FOR FUCKS SAKE, IF YOU BUILD IN A FEATURE WHEREBY YOUR PLAYER DOOESN'T BUFFER WHILE PAUSED, I RESERVE THE RIGHT (SHOULD I EVER ACQUIRE SUFFICIENT FUNDING) TO ESTABLISH A FOUNDATION IN PERPETUITY, DEVOTED TO REMINDING PEOPLE OF THE NEXT THOUSAND GENERATIONS WHAT A WORLD CLASS SHIT YOU ARE. YOUR NAME WILL BECOME SHORTHAND FOR IDIOCY.
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.

meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:35 am UTC

Dark Avorian wrote:AND FOR FUCKS SAKE, IF YOU BUILD IN A FEATURE WHEREBY YOUR PLAYER DOOESN'T BUFFER WHILE PAUSED

YouTube comes very close to doing this. It only buffers for a certain number of video seconds ahead of where you are, making it so you can't buffer the whole video without micromanaging it.

Just...just don't even get me started on buffering, man.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:55 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
Dark Avorian wrote:AND FOR FUCKS SAKE, IF YOU BUILD IN A FEATURE WHEREBY YOUR PLAYER DOOESN'T BUFFER WHILE PAUSED

YouTube comes very close to doing this. It only buffers for a certain number of video seconds ahead of where you are, making it so you can't buffer the whole video without micromanaging it.

They changed it pretty recently, I think. I mean "recently" as in the last year or two. Because I remember being able to pause and let a video finish buffering, and then one day, it just wouldn't do that, because they changed it, because fuck people that's why.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:59 am UTC

Jave D wrote:They changed it pretty recently, I think. I mean "recently" as in the last year or two. Because I remember being able to pause and let a video finish buffering, and then one day, it just wouldn't do that, because they changed it, because fuck people that's why.

I'm not completely sure, but I think it still does full buffering for some videos for me, just not all of them. If I want something to fully buffer on YouTube I normally just leave it on 'play' (with the volume muted) until it's finished, however long that takes, then unmute and click back at the start of the bar to watch it.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:45 am UTC

Yeah, it works for some, not all, videos. The problem is, if I leave it playing on mute, it's liable to say, "Whoops, 480p doesn't exist, we're bumping you down to 360/240/144p and graying out the 480p option until you refresh the page."
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:43 am UTC

Something keeps beeping in my kitchen and it's driving me round the bend. Every few minutes or so, I hear "beep beep" coming from the kitchen. I have no idea what's making the noise. It's maddening.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:59 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Something keeps beeping in my kitchen and it's driving me round the bend. Every few minutes or so, I hear "beep beep" coming from the kitchen. I have no idea what's making the noise. It's maddening.

Do you have friends who would think those annoyance devices you can get on think geek are funny? On phone so can'tlink.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:19 pm UTC

Smoke detector with a low battery?
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

I haven't had friends over for ages, so it's not a prank. It's a different sort of beeping to what a smoke detector makes. From the sound, I'm sure it has to be something to do with the phone, but I've checked the phone and that doesn't seem to be it.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:55 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I haven't had friends over for ages, so it's not a prank. It's a different sort of beeping to what a smoke detector makes. From the sound, I'm sure it has to be something to do with the phone, but I've checked the phone and that doesn't seem to be it.

Different to the beeping a smoke alarm makes when it's detected smoke? Because that's what they do. If not then I'd suggest unplugging all electrics in the kitchen first and then work your way through them all. Possibly timer on electric oven?
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

Pant: Pant. Pant pant pant. 'stoogaddamnhot.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

K-R

Postby K-R » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

If you're putting together a compilation DVD of wrestling matches, and around half are fullscreen and around half are widescreen, and it's 2012, the solution is not to letterbox the widescreen ones. FFS.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

Nah, the rules don't apply to you! It's not like the TWO garbage cans within 10 ft of the table you left all that trash at could POSSIBLY be a good place to put said trash!

The dudes who use the basketball court in the kids park across from my apartment are usually very good about sharing the space with the kids and other players. I routinely see them switching to half court so a 10 year old can shoot hoops with their friend, and I've never heard any swearing when kids are around. It's genuinely respectful, and I appreciate that.

But come the fuck on; don't leave your trash in the park brochachos.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

so i had the odd experience of a girl taking ME out instead of the other way around. she did the inviting, driving, the paying, the planning etc. it was a little odd for me to say the least, NOT used to that at all. but it was nice, and we both had a really good time.

its not so much a bad thing. its just its so new that its weird to me. eh.

Link

Postby Link » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:24 pm UTC

felltir wrote:Pant: Pant. Pant pant pant. 'stoogaddamnhot.

Indeed it is. I wish I had an actual air conditioning unit, because regular fans just aren't helping at all right now.

Edit with new rant: the fucking spindle lock on my brand-fucking-new Dremel is fucking broken. Fuck that fucking fuckery.

K-R

Postby K-R » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

K-R wrote:If you're putting together a compilation DVD of wrestling matches, and around half are fullscreen and around half are widescreen, and it's 2012, the solution is not to letterbox the widescreen ones. FFS.

Thank you for finally, in 2013, figuring out how to create a widescreen DVD with fullscreen content. Maybe next year you'll learn that you don't actually have to do this with the widescreen content, because it's already widescreen. Squashing it down to 4:3 and then pillarboxing it is actually worse than if you'd just letterboxed it.

Seriously, how hard is this shit to figure out?

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

Link wrote:Edit with new rant: the fucking spindle lock on my brand-fucking-new Dremel is fucking broken. Fuck that fucking fuckery.

still under warranty i hope?

thats unusual, i have never had any issues with dremel brand tools.

Link

Postby Link » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:
Link wrote:Edit with new rant: the fucking spindle lock on my brand-fucking-new Dremel is fucking broken. Fuck that fucking fuckery.

still under warranty i hope?

thats unusual, i have never had any issues with dremel brand tools.

Yep. But it means having to go back to the store, which will cost a fair amount of time, and I wasn't able to put the finishing touch on something that is otherwise completed, which just sucks.

It's weird, though. You can push the button, and it appears to lock, but as soon as you twist the chuck, it slips. Pressing down on the button with an ungodly amount of force using two hands while having another person twist the chuck gives the same result (with the addition of sore thumbs).

teenidle

Postby teenidle » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:00 am UTC

I FORGOT I'M TOO EMOTIONALLY UNSTABLE TO SLEEP AT NIGHT. 'Well, mom, you see, the reason I didn't sleep last night was that I HAD SOME CRYING TO DO. Oh, just, about you know, EVERYTHING. Yes, for 8 hours. Me, overreacting? Gee mom, you must be confusing me with someone else.'

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

My friend's ex got arrested in Kenya last week. Ostensibly for having the wrong work permit or something, but given that the rest of his volunteer group were fine we're guessing it has more to do with his being gay.
He is home safe now, it's all fine.
I've never even met the guy but the whole thing made me super anxious, I can't even imagine how he must have felt.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

teenidle wrote:I FORGOT I'M TOO EMOTIONALLY UNSTABLE TO SLEEP AT NIGHT. 'Well, mom, you see, the reason I didn't sleep last night was that I HAD SOME CRYING TO DO. Oh, just, about you know, EVERYTHING. Yes, for 8 hours. Me, overreacting? Gee mom, you must be confusing me with someone else.'

oh noes! *hug* are you alright?

teenidle

Postby teenidle » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

Well, sure, as long as I don't think about...things.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

teenidle wrote:Well, sure, as long as I don't think about...things.

theeeen don't think about things. think about other things. actually, think of nothing. nothing at all. be one with the universe.

teenidle

Postby teenidle » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote: be one with the universe.

right away, sir

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

teenidle wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote: be one with the universe.

right away, sir

i like your style *winks*

yurell

Postby yurell » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

teenidle wrote:Well, sure, as long as I don't think about...things.

You may want to see a psych (if you have the funds) to help you sort through your feelings, or otherwise discuss the matter in a SafeSpace that you feel appropriate. The last piece of unsolicited advice I'll give you is to look after yourself *donates hug-factory*
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

10 AM yesterday: phone rings, really good client needs something 'right away'. Said area to be surveyed is where we've already done some work, and is pretty open. No worries.

Get 75% done, and there is one little wooded area left. Steep hill. Steep, loose rock hill. Steep, loose, slippery rock hill with HOLY GOD FIRE ANTS EVERYWHERE. Oh, and those woods? Locust (thorns), roses (thorns), cherry (sharp bits), autumn olive (you get the idea). Bottom of the hill - more OH GOD FIRE ANTS.

fuck.

ouch.
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:10 AM yesterday: phone rings, really good client needs something 'right away'. Said area to be surveyed is where we've already done some work, and is pretty open. No worries.

Get 75% done, and there is one little wooded area left. Steep hill. Steep, loose rock hill. Steep, loose, slippery rock hill with HOLY GOD FIRE ANTS EVERYWHERE. Oh, and those woods? Locust (thorns), roses (thorns), cherry (sharp bits), autumn olive (you get the idea). Bottom of the hill - more OH GOD FIRE ANTS.

fuck.

ouch.

That is funny.
I am sorry for your trouble.
I am glad you made it back to post in the Safe World.

Those fire ants are Special. I, still, have a little fear of ants.
That is a story of Working Together.

One ant I can take on and beat.
All the ants? No! They win going in.

How far north are you?
I read about Fire Ants moving north.
How far have they gotten?

Some of the weird stuff ya' all have, we do not have.
Same continent, very different ecosystems.

We have Cats that eat people.
We do not have Chiggers.
We do not have Fire Ants.

When you tangle with Ants, you walk away.
When we tangle with Cats......

Well; We don't talk about it much.
What good would it do?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:10 AM yesterday: phone rings, really good client needs something 'right away'. Said area to be surveyed is where we've already done some work, and is pretty open. No worries.

fuck.

ouch.

fire ants.... *looks around suspiciously* dont ask me about fire ants...
i feel for ya man, i really do.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

fuck.

ouch.

Tell us about Fire Ants.
Everyone has their own unique story.

As the wise man said, "Uniqueness is so common a property of living things, there is, really, nothing unique about it."

I did not know Fire Ants were a possibility.
I sat on grass next to a lovely little pond in Mississippi.

I pondered, "Why do The People not use this lovely area?"
A few moments later I got the Answer.

Those ants seemed to be working together.
They were All Over Me before the first one stung.
Then, they All stung. What did they do to you?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

Bangor, Maine. They are also all over the Mount Desert Island (Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park/Jackson Lab) area.

This is the first time I've run into them in Bangor.
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

addams wrote:

fuck.

ouch.

Tell us about Fire Ants.
Everyone has their own unique story.

As the wise man said, "Uniqueness is so common a property of living things, there is, really, nothing unique about it."

I did not know Fire Ants were a possibility.
I sat on grass next to a lovely little pond in Mississippi.

I pondered, "Why do The People not use this lovely area?"
A few moments later I got the Answer.

Those ants seemed to be working together.
They were All Over Me before the first one stung.
Then, they All stung. What did they do to you?

erm well, i was sitting as well.
one got a little curious and decided to go spelunking.

in my pant leg.
he figured he wasn't having a good time anymore when he got *ahem* south of the belt, and bit me.

that hurt.

Return to “General”