Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I gave blood once in western Texas and for three years, United Blood Services bombarded me with phone calls asking me to donate, even though I have moved out of state and had told them that there was no way I could donate.

You donated blood for 3 years in one sitting?! :P

User avatar
Eseell
Posts: 789
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:58 am UTC
Location: WA

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Eseell » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:20 pm UTC

Suzaku wrote:Thank you Apple, for ruining my commute by completely borking how your software handles podcasts.

Good thing I've already ordered a new Kindle.

Yeah, the new podcast app doesn't seem to sync my podcast progress half as well as it did when it was just part of "music" or whatever it was before.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

i have gotten maybe 3.5 - 4hours of sleep in the past 30 hours, and am gonna get about that much in the next 30. my time is completely crunched, and i think the 5 or so minutes i have RIGHT NOW to get some calories in me, is the only break im gonna have.

FUCK.
Image

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10274
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby addams » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:40 am UTC

Fine. I am not an Aunt. I am a Rant.
We all know about negative prejudice and how awlful it is.

How about the other kind. White men know it all.
He is a nice guy. I don't think he means to harm anyone.

He speaks with an Everyone Knows This, kind of authority.
He seems to know what the common everyday Bagger does not know.

*Said very sarcastically.* Sure he does. **ahhhh.**

What did he say? "Pasteurization causes lactose intolerance."
People listen to that man? oh, dear. who listens to him?

That is right up there with Vacines cause Autism.
Maybe, worse. I don't want to open that Autism can of worms.

This is lactose intolerance and Pasteurization. That is not common Knowledge?!
Why?! Why? Why does the common man not know jack shit about Pasteurization?

ok. What is that? People begin Urban Myths.
Pasteurization causes lactose intolerance.

There ya' go. Blame the victim coming Right Up.
If your mama did not feed you pasteurized milk you would not be lactose intolerant.
Your people are ignorant.
They should know that raw milk is better for you.
They have fallen for the Government Propaganda.


There is a certain joy in Raw Milk. I know that joy. I also know it is risky business.
I don't understand. Why make the connection between pasteurization and lactose intolerance? Why?

Did I fall under the spell of the government propaganda? Remember Pasteur?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurization
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Pasteur
A little light reading. Save it for desert.

Yes. It bothers me that people know Ozi Ozborn and do not know Louis Pasteur.
That is not fair. Ozi is alive, today. Pasteur is long gone.

So that is not what is bothersome. That man spends a great deal of time and trouble to get local, fresh food. It is a hobby.
He also sends to the far corners of the Globe for exotics to make his culinary life interesting. (shrug)

Other people may listen to him. I attempted to tell him. I failed. He was angry with me for trying.
oh dear. I am like Sheldon. Smart enough and really stupid. People don't like Sheldon because he tells them stuff.

People don't like me for the same reason.
Of course! It is a pain in the ass to be with people that think they know stuff different from the way I know it.
I should expect other people to feel the same way.

ugh. Pasteurization. It is nice to have a place to get Raw Milk. Little tiny places that do it for a hobby can be small and clean enough to make it work. Right? Just selling to friends. That man said a local woman was doing that. Someone brought suit.

Darned. Lactose intolerance is rare among whites.
That man said he has never known a human that is lactose intolerant.

Cats are lactose intolerant.
Cats like milk anyway.
It might taste like white blood.

That is enough from me for, forever.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1844
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

A friend of mine got botulism from raw milk.

I'm not a fan of milk anyways - except cheese. I love cheese. Wensleydale is quite possible the most magnificent bit of moldy milk EVER.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

User avatar
Jave D
chavey-dee
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Jave D » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:42 am UTC

That dreadful period where you're getting a big pimply zit, but it hasn't really bloomed yet. Just a slight bump, but with a wide diameter, and despite all the washing, you just know that it's going to grow and transform into a gigantic ugly volcano. But you still think, you still hope that maybe you can change it, that maybe it'll just die down without much of a peak... even though I know it's just going to happen, it's inevitable, just like death.

Dark Avorian
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:48 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Dark Avorian » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:01 am UTC

Fuck you if you are a website and every link to the useful information I really need is a link to a video detailing said things. Fuck you. I can read very quickly, and do not want to be tied to the mind numbing pace and graphics you probably stick to appease the sheeple of this earth. Not to mention how fucking inconsiderate to the blind and deaf that could be. Oh, also you're now providing a method of payment for a major cities transport system, so get on top of your stuff.
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.


meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:51 pm UTC

Dark Avorian wrote:Fuck you if you are a website and every link to the useful information I really need is a link to a video detailing said things. Fuck you. I can read very quickly, and do not want to be tied to the mind numbing pace and graphics you probably stick to appease the sheeple of this earth. Not to mention how fucking inconsiderate to the blind and deaf that could be. Oh, also you're now providing a method of payment for a major cities transport system, so get on top of your stuff.

Also inconsiderate to people looking this stuff up at work, where videos are blocked.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10274
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby addams » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:33 am UTC

We haven't had a good what is Wrong with people Rant in a while.

What is Wrong with People?
One thing is pessimism.

Pessimists are not much fun.
Optimists are better.

yes. Optimists are a lot of trouble, sometimes.
I don't mind being the 'Kill Joy'. That can be fun, too.

But; To be so dull as to not be able to Do anyfuckingthing!

I had a friend one time. (its true, I had a friend) She had brothers and sisters.
They, by necessity, did most things together.

One of the sisters was a pessimist. She was known as, "We are Doomed. It will never work."
She was right, sometimes. Those people had a lot of fun. Calling her to tell her what we are doing was fun.

The pessimist was not the boss. A good little pessimist learns to be pretty good at logistics.
"How are we going to get out of here when this fails?" I am a pretty good little pessimist.

I don't like anyone to be more pessimistic than I am. That is my job! You people get us into trouble. I will help get us out.

Who knows? It might work. We will never know, if we don't try.

Be an optimist.
Pessimism is for After we fail and before the next attempt.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
teenidle
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:15 pm UTC
Location: Europe

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby teenidle » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

People are being stupid on facebook :evil:

Edit: AKA, "teenidle once again proves to herself that nobody likes her, despite her arguments making perfect sense". carry on.
Last edited by teenidle on Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10274
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby addams » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

teenidle wrote:People are being stupid on facebook :evil:

Facebook?
You know all those people?

Do you arrange for Duels?
Before Facebook, people got together to argue in person.

Then, they shot each other in the backyard.
You don't have to use guns. You can use cream pies.

Water balloons leave a mark. The winner is clear to all.
The loser can't talk for a while. Symbolically that person is dead.

Fun game for you and fifty of your closest friends.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

addams wrote:Facebook?
You know all those people?


Facebook.
Superior conflict resolution.

Skin faces.
Collect in book.

Reminder of triumph.
Builds self-esteem.

Fifty closest friends.
Now forty-nine.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10274
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby addams » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
addams wrote:Facebook?
You know all those people?


Facebook.
Superior conflict resolution.

Skin faces.
Collect in book.

Reminder of triumph.
Builds self-esteem.

Fifty closest friends.
Now forty-nine.


Someone got promoted? Who?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
teenidle
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:15 pm UTC
Location: Europe

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby teenidle » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

Reasons why teenidle shouldn't be allowed near the internet (or people...or whatever...) #54829:
(you probably shouldn't read this. seriously, I mean, why would you care about what a bunch of teenagers argue about over facebook?)
Spoiler:
so teachers kinda do this thing where they send powerpoint presentations and other stuff that are, like, important, to this one guy from our class, who then used to send them to the rest of the class.
so this guy ASKS if it's okay if he just uploads them to facebook, and I said I'd prefer it if he sent them by email, because a) I don't really want to scroll through hundreds of files if I want to find something from six months ago and b) I may be wrong, but the idea that facebook is a totally reliable way of sharing files and I can be 100% sure that I'll always find what I need sounds ridiculous (and c) how hard is it to forward a fucking email?)
so anyway he's like no, stuff is going to be the way i said it would because reasons, and people are like i should be thankful and stuff (forwarding an email is fucking HARD :roll:) and I'm like dude, you asked if it was okay, and I told you why it's not okay, but if you don't want to forward an email, then FINE, but next time say so instead of asking and then getting mad when people disagree. So then he just ignores everything I said, and he's like uh people said it'd be better to upload them to facebook and I'm not gonna send this to everyone in 20 different ways, and if you don't like it then do it yourself blablabla. so then more of the 'I should be thankful' stuff. and then everyone is making a big deal out of it, saying things like they don't care how he sends those files as long as we stop arguing over it, which is what bothers me most, because since when do people care about whether someone is arguing over something or not?
Anyway, the last message I got from him was "I hope you stop bothering me; goodnight!" ???
I mean fine, I don't care about those files either, do what you want, but then don't ask people on facebook and expect them to agree with you.
Of course the only reason people wanted them uploaded there is that everyone is lazy to check their email :roll:

User avatar
Zarq
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm UTC
Location: Third Rock from Earth's Yellow Sun

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Zarq » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

The real question here is why the teachers just don't send them everyone at once. Also, you're absolutely right. Uploading the files to Facebook is more work than forwarding the mail.

Also, I'm fairly certain you can upload stuff to Facebook by mailing it to a certain email address, so he could do both at the same time.

edit: apparently that only works for images and videos. Makes sense, from a safety perspective.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

I think the real real question is: since when the fuck can you upload .pptx files to Facebook?
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10274
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby addams » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:18 am UTC

Zarq wrote:The real question here is why the teachers just don't send them everyone at once. Also, you're absolutely right. Uploading the files to Facebook is more work than forwarding the mail.

Also, I'm fairly certain you can upload stuff to Facebook by mailing it to a certain email address, so he could do both at the same time.

edit: apparently that only works for images and videos. Makes sense, from a safety perspective.

Yes. Why?
It makes no sense.

I took a class, one time.
The instructor gave us an e-mail address within the system.
We emailed to the instructor.

The instructor captured our e-mail addressed placed us in a group and sent e-mails to all of us at once.
The instructor was able to contact each of us separately.

Our communication was through a link that was sent to us.
It worked beautifully. The TA was able to contact us, also.

The TA might get in a position to mess with people.
Why? I have no idea. Do you really need this data?
If so it is best to have it directly from the instructor.

I had a situation where there was someone between my machine and my superior.
That was a fucked up situation. Don't let that happen, if you can prevent it.

Contact the instructor and get a direct line. That JackAss was changing the data before I got it.
On FaceBook for School? ech. I am old fashioned. I have no idea.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby emceng » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

I have a new contender for worst movie I've ever seen - Dark Shadows. It was so amazingly terrible. The acting wasn't bad, Johnny Depp is a decent actor, and he was onscreen for 90% of the movie. The script was just idiotic. No one acted in a way consistent with logic or reason. I've heard it was based on a tv show or book series, which may explain things. It felt like they tried to hit a bunch of plot points, and instead just made nothing matter as the movie bumbled from one thing to another.

For spoiler rants:

Spoiler:
So the mom just thinks, ok, this dude just murdered a ton of people, why not invite him into the house?
And she carried around the knife when they met, and they did close ups of the knife a bunch of times. Then went to the next scene. No resolution or point to that.

The daughter character was pointlessly unlikeable. The son was onscreen for about 5 minutes of film, but was supposed to be a big plot driver.

The werewolf thing - what the fuck? So there was a tiny reference earlier in the film that no one would get until the end. Then at the finale, oh, hey the daughter is some creature thing! Then 5 minutes of fight scene or whatever where she isn't onscreen at all or even mentioned. Then she joins the fight for about 15 seconds, says hey I'm a werewolf, then gets knocked out, and is deadweight the rest of the movie.

Victoria - what the crap? So she was named Maggie? Or was called Maggie in the asylum? So why did her parents call her Victoria in the flashback? What was her last name? The intro scene at the beginning made it seem like she took her name from a poster.

Why the fuck did the mom ghost have some crazy power to knock out Angelique?

The uncle/father character was more pointless deadweight.

The finale with the mob. Oh hey, we're a mob, and mad at your family. Oh, the cops said to move along? Yeah, we'll do that. We also don't care that we just saw Angelique get shot a bunch of times.

The sex scene with Angelique and Barnabus. This really pissed me off. First, it went on way too long. Great, they have super powers, so when having sex they fly around the room. Move the fuck on. Second, and much more importantly. B knew that A had cursed him with vampirism, causing him to murder a ton of people. He also knew or suspected she'd killed his parents, and I think he knew she'd murdered his 'one true love'. So he was rightfully mad at her. Then, boobs! So time for sex. I mean really, what the ever living fuck?

Victoria again. So B is revealed to be a vampire. She is scared off. Then, under a spell, goes to committ suicide. Then B saves her. So she decides, I love him! So gotta committ suicide! I mean might as well turn into a murderous vampire because suicide is fun!
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1844
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

if it makes you feel better, it was based on an equally idiotic soap opera.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

User avatar
teenidle
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:15 pm UTC
Location: Europe

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby teenidle » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:The real question here is why the teachers just don't send them everyone at once.

hahahahahhahhahahha....I have no idea.
I mean...they'd have to get everyone's e-mail addresses, and then make a list...and...and... Yeah, that's too much work. :roll:

SurgicalSteel wrote:I think the real real question is: since when the fuck can you upload .pptx files to Facebook?

You can upload all kinds of* files to groups. I don't see why .ppt/.pptx would be an exception.

User avatar
Zarq
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm UTC
Location: Third Rock from Earth's Yellow Sun

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Zarq » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

teenidle wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:I think the real real question is: since when the fuck can you upload .pptx files to Facebook?

You can upload all kinds of* files to groups. I don't see why .ppt/.pptx would be an exception.


It's a semi-recent addition. It used to be only images, videos and .txt files.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ptolom » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:46 pm UTC

What if you just gave your ppt file an image header and extension? Do they check?

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

teenidle wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:I think the real real question is: since when the fuck can you upload .pptx files to Facebook?

You can upload all kinds of* files to groups. I don't see why .ppt/.pptx would be an exception.
I didn't mean specifically .pptx, I meant files that weren't images or video. I didn't know you could do that now.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby roband » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
teenidle wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:I think the real real question is: since when the fuck can you upload .pptx files to Facebook?

You can upload all kinds of* files to groups. I don't see why .ppt/.pptx would be an exception.
I didn't mean specifically .pptx, I meant files that weren't images or video. I didn't know you could do that now.

I don't think it will display them, like it does images/videos.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26519
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

emceng wrote:I have a new contender for worst movie I've ever seen - Dark Shadows. It was so amazingly terrible. The acting wasn't bad, Johnny Depp is a decent actor, and he was onscreen for 90% of the movie. The script was just idiotic. No one acted in a way consistent with logic or reason. I've heard it was based on a tv show or book series, which may explain things. It felt like they tried to hit a bunch of plot points, and instead just made nothing matter as the movie bumbled from one thing to another.

For spoiler rants:

Spoiler:
So the mom just thinks, ok, this dude just murdered a ton of people, why not invite him into the house?
And she carried around the knife when they met, and they did close ups of the knife a bunch of times. Then went to the next scene. No resolution or point to that.

The daughter character was pointlessly unlikeable. The son was onscreen for about 5 minutes of film, but was supposed to be a big plot driver.

The werewolf thing - what the fuck? So there was a tiny reference earlier in the film that no one would get until the end. Then at the finale, oh, hey the daughter is some creature thing! Then 5 minutes of fight scene or whatever where she isn't onscreen at all or even mentioned. Then she joins the fight for about 15 seconds, says hey I'm a werewolf, then gets knocked out, and is deadweight the rest of the movie.

Victoria - what the crap? So she was named Maggie? Or was called Maggie in the asylum? So why did her parents call her Victoria in the flashback? What was her last name? The intro scene at the beginning made it seem like she took her name from a poster.

Why the fuck did the mom ghost have some crazy power to knock out Angelique?

The uncle/father character was more pointless deadweight.

The finale with the mob. Oh hey, we're a mob, and mad at your family. Oh, the cops said to move along? Yeah, we'll do that. We also don't care that we just saw Angelique get shot a bunch of times.

The sex scene with Angelique and Barnabus. This really pissed me off. First, it went on way too long. Great, they have super powers, so when having sex they fly around the room. Move the fuck on. Second, and much more importantly. B knew that A had cursed him with vampirism, causing him to murder a ton of people. He also knew or suspected she'd killed his parents, and I think he knew she'd murdered his 'one true love'. So he was rightfully mad at her. Then, boobs! So time for sex. I mean really, what the ever living fuck?

Victoria again. So B is revealed to be a vampire. She is scared off. Then, under a spell, goes to committ suicide. Then B saves her. So she decides, I love him! So gotta committ suicide! I mean might as well turn into a murderous vampire because suicide is fun!


Dark Shadows: The Movie is what happens when people try to take a 6 season soap opera (meaning 5 episodes a week, meaning 1200+ goddamn episodes, at 30 minutes a pop, for roughly 600 hours of television ] and compress all of it into one 90 minute film.

You get multiple characters mashed into one person, you get multiple plotlines mashed into one, you get... characters acting inconsistently, characters revealing powers not even hinted at and then no one reacting as if this is in any way remarkable, characters letting known murderers move in with them, characters banging people who have deeply wronged them and shown that they look to do it again....

600 hours into 90 minutes will make no sense whatsoever.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby roband » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

127 hours really is the limit.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26519
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

Honestly, I'd say 60. You'd need at least 10% of the time of the original to do it any justice - to clean out the unnecessary bits, to simplify and/or streamline some bits, to fix problems and do quality control on the plot, and to remove that silly little "Dramatic Tension" that slows things down.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Carlington
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Carlington » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:07 pm UTC

It's okay, roband. I saw what you did. I laughed.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby roband » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

Carlington wrote:It's okay, roband. I saw what you did. I laughed.

This thread isn't for laughing damnit, NO-ONE WAS SUPPOSED TO GET IT.

Rant over. Cheers ;)

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10274
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby addams » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

Someone that likes that movie can explain it to you.
I had a serious disagreement with my superior, about a movie.

I outranked him at the time. Stupid story.
But; My story, anyway.

I hated that fucking movie. Sometimes I get caught up in the story.
Sometimes I think about The Perspective.

Did you ever take a Film class?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps-v-kZzfec

Film is a powerful medium.
One instructor was darned good. I thought he was good. He sure did give me a lot to think about.

I got credit for meeting up with some people to watch some movies from Beginning to End and other movies by exemplary clip by exemplary clip. Then he talked and we talked and somehow a few ideas got into my head.

There were tests, some answers were correct and some answers were wrong. (shrug)
I think a good film class or two should be required for modern man. It could be taught in Kindergarden.
And; In every class after that. Each person or group of people can analyze the media that fills their heads and hearts.

It most likely is being taught. That is what Class Plays are. That is what Church is. That is what those stupid Assembly in High School are. Theater! It is one step and through a membrane to Film from there.

After I interrupted that man's pleasure, we did not Go To The Movies together, much.
The major complaint? He said My Movies were boring. Not a high enough body count.

I attempted to defend my position. "Millions of People died in That One!"
I now understand in a way I did not then. It is a pleasure for some people to watch others suffer.

I like Chick Flicks. I don't mind a good Guys Movie from time to time. Those things will give a person Ideas.
What movie is a Guys Movie? Jaws? I am just not too good with watching scary stuff.

Jaws made a Generation of People, think.
Many laughed. I did. I did not laugh at the Movie.

I sat by the emergency exit. I kept an eye on the exit, too.
I may have used it. I don't remember. Scary, Fish!

There really are Great Whites and they really do behave themselves poorly, sometimes.
The lesson? There really are Gangsters and they really do behave themselves poorly, a bunch.

Like sharks, they don't get into trouble often; But when they do, it tends to be memorable.
Pant? ech. Movies.

The steps of Odessa needs to be balanced with The Red Balloon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYxIPhjDcf8
It is important to remember, the Magic of Uplifting Beauty is right there, on the screen, too.

A section of the class I took was on the reactions of People to Films.
There are documents about little mini Riots breaking out.

Rant? It is just another thing to complain about.
I can thank my lucky stars, Weekly Live executions in the Mall parking lot are not common and everyday occurrences.

Except on some of our Screens.
Zombies inhabit our common imaginations.

Zombies are a little scary. Correct? Zombies think it is funny.
Except when they are not Zombies, but real live human beings that are dying of neglect.

This nation needs a Nanny. A good one.
This nation would Kick a Nanny's Ass.

The full power and weight of the DHS, Law Enforcement, could be used to do it, too.

What Bully ever says, "ok. I see your point. We should 'play nice'?"

Bullies know they are Bullies. Bullies also know what all Gang Members learn.
We Will; We Will; Rock You! What fun to be a part of something larger than one's self.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hi8IWqic0U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGaOlfmX8rQ

The lyrics don't matter much it is the Beat. So easy and So much fun.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby emceng » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
emceng wrote:I have a new contender for worst movie I've ever seen - Dark Shadows. It was so amazingly terrible. The acting wasn't bad, Johnny Depp is a decent actor, and he was onscreen for 90% of the movie. The script was just idiotic. No one acted in a way consistent with logic or reason. I've heard it was based on a tv show or book series, which may explain things. It felt like they tried to hit a bunch of plot points, and instead just made nothing matter as the movie bumbled from one thing to another.

For spoiler rants:

Spoiler:
So the mom just thinks, ok, this dude just murdered a ton of people, why not invite him into the house?
And she carried around the knife when they met, and they did close ups of the knife a bunch of times. Then went to the next scene. No resolution or point to that.

The daughter character was pointlessly unlikeable. The son was onscreen for about 5 minutes of film, but was supposed to be a big plot driver.

The werewolf thing - what the fuck? So there was a tiny reference earlier in the film that no one would get until the end. Then at the finale, oh, hey the daughter is some creature thing! Then 5 minutes of fight scene or whatever where she isn't onscreen at all or even mentioned. Then she joins the fight for about 15 seconds, says hey I'm a werewolf, then gets knocked out, and is deadweight the rest of the movie.

Victoria - what the crap? So she was named Maggie? Or was called Maggie in the asylum? So why did her parents call her Victoria in the flashback? What was her last name? The intro scene at the beginning made it seem like she took her name from a poster.

Why the fuck did the mom ghost have some crazy power to knock out Angelique?

The uncle/father character was more pointless deadweight.

The finale with the mob. Oh hey, we're a mob, and mad at your family. Oh, the cops said to move along? Yeah, we'll do that. We also don't care that we just saw Angelique get shot a bunch of times.

The sex scene with Angelique and Barnabus. This really pissed me off. First, it went on way too long. Great, they have super powers, so when having sex they fly around the room. Move the fuck on. Second, and much more importantly. B knew that A had cursed him with vampirism, causing him to murder a ton of people. He also knew or suspected she'd killed his parents, and I think he knew she'd murdered his 'one true love'. So he was rightfully mad at her. Then, boobs! So time for sex. I mean really, what the ever living fuck?

Victoria again. So B is revealed to be a vampire. She is scared off. Then, under a spell, goes to committ suicide. Then B saves her. So she decides, I love him! So gotta committ suicide! I mean might as well turn into a murderous vampire because suicide is fun!


Dark Shadows: The Movie is what happens when people try to take a 6 season soap opera (meaning 5 episodes a week, meaning 1200+ goddamn episodes, at 30 minutes a pop, for roughly 600 hours of television ] and compress all of it into one 90 minute film.

You get multiple characters mashed into one person, you get multiple plotlines mashed into one, you get... characters acting inconsistently, characters revealing powers not even hinted at and then no one reacting as if this is in any way remarkable, characters letting known murderers move in with them, characters banging people who have deeply wronged them and shown that they look to do it again....

600 hours into 90 minutes will make no sense whatsoever.



Yeah, it made me think of comparing the movie to taking 5 minutes from each episode of Star Trek TNG and turning it into a movie. Even from just one season.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26519
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

No.

It would be like taking Star Trek, Star Trek the Next Gen, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise..

And THEN smashing it all down to 90 minutes.

"What the fuck are you doing?" is all anyone would say. And they'd be right.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Adacore » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:What if you just gave your ppt file an image header and extension? Do they check?

I think when you upload an image to Facebook it frequently reduces the quality to save space (unless they've stopped doing that). I doubt a different file format masquerading as an image file would survive that, even if they don't check.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:39 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:No.

It would be like taking Star Trek, Star Trek the Next Gen, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise..

And THEN smashing it all down to 90 minutes.

"What the fuck are you doing?" is all anyone would say. And they'd be right.


you mean they didn't do that in into darkness?

that triblle part was absolutely atrocious.
Image

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't shoehorn tribbles into the 2009 film. It seems to be the classic trekkie fanservice thing.

But yeah, even Sherlock Holmes couldn't save that last film from being terrible.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11128
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Yakk » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't shoehorn tribbles into the 2009 film.

Ah. It appears you missed the Tribble.

I could tell you where the Tribble is, but a Tribble sighting is something you have to experience for yourself, not something you can be told.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1844
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:45 am UTC

stupid amount of work to be done this week and next. Takes off early from home, returns late from work.

tries to relax. fails. Applies alcohol. Also fails.

Goes to bed.

dreams ALL FUCKING NIGHT LONG about work.

gets to work early, still tired.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

User avatar
Negrebskoh
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:49 pm UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Negrebskoh » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

I'm curerently taking a 'Statistics for AI/CS' course in university (mandatory for my major), and it's stretching the limits of my making-up-bullshit skills. I was hoping we'd learn how statistics actually works, but instead we get mainly "here's a bunch of tests and formulae, now use them in random order until you get the results you think I (the teacher) want". No wonder so many people think statistics is a bunch of nonsense where results can mean whatever you want them to mean.

This makes me seriously consider dropping the course and taking the actual 'Statistics' course for math majors next year, which I'm sure the exam committee will allow me to take as a replacement for this course. It's not a course given in the same semester, though, so it may be prohibitively impractical.

User avatar
RollingHead
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:47 pm UTC
Location: Italy

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby RollingHead » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

If I may go back to blood donation-
Do they still prick your finger in most places? Because there are hemoglobinometers that don't need blood to be drawn to operate and my local hospital uses one on donors. Also, AB+ is the universal plasma donor.

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ptolom » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:43 am UTC

My whole body feels uncomfortable. Shut up nerves, I know what you're trying to say and I'm not listening.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests