Blistering blue barnacles

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26153
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:35 pm UTC

azule wrote:Are you female, btw, as details propose? Because Darth Vader is a guy, not just a "darth" person. (And "vader" means father. Darth Mader. I'll show myself to the exit for sexists....)
P.S. That guy could get sued for playing a copyrighted piece of music in public without prior written agreement by Lucasfilm.x


.... so should I point out that Darth Vader was originally an inconsequential character later merged with Prince Valorum (a character that no longer exists), that the name Vader came from Invader (remember - this is the same guy who gave us Darth Sidious) and the whole Father/Son Anti/Protagonist angle was something that wasn't thought up before Empire?

Or are you of the mine that Lucas isn't full of shit 95% of the time?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:43 pm UTC

As a teen, I never understood why the books were made after the movies. I couldn't wrap my brain around the fact that he just made it up as he went. I thought for sure he must have had it all written down beforehand.

Then I watched episode 1 and I had a perspective shift and realized that, duh.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26153
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:54 pm UTC

Shit, the Wookiepedia has synopsis (synopsi?) of the first three drafts. Between that and writeups like this you can see the evolution of the ideas, the blending of characters, separation of aspects and those aspects given to new characters and so on, but the end result regarding the name Vader is simple.

The name Darth Vader predates Vader being a father of anyone, much less the protagonist, by multiple drafts. And all evidence suggests Darth Vader wasn't originally a title, but a name. Like the dude could be the blond-headed friend of a guy name Gayne on a local-access show Gayne's World.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby azule » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:44 pm UTC

Well, fuck. Apparently my post did not go through and it's all closed and I don't have it in my clipboard anymore. :cry:

Basic rundown:

Link, halogen is the long lights, right? I have 2 fixtures that have have the light, 2 that don't. They could take 2 lights in each fixture. But, I'm not gonna spend money and effort on these special lights. *BUZZ*

Vader discussion: I don't believe Lucas, I just realize that it's his shit, it's made up shit, therefore the shit doesn't matter enough for me to care that there's a rough draft that Lucas jizzed on that says Vader is "Invader". As a writer or creator, it's his fucking right to write whatever the fuck he wants and to justify it however the fuck he wants. As long as he's consistent and doesn't fuck up with conflicting ideas, such as trying to say Luka and Leia weren't romantically involved but the evidence is they kissed, so fuck you Lucas, that's the reality. I'm looking forward to hearing about anymore in-world examples of conflicting shit. I don't really care to argue about rough draft decisions (that's how writing works, so don't dog it by making us stick to every decision we made along the way). I will enjoy reading about the potential history, but it's irrelevant to the discussion.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
Posts: 5949
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Sprocket » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:09 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:More than meets the eye.

Darth-former.

SecondTalon wrote:The name Darth Vader predates Vader being a father of anyone, much less the protagonist, by multiple drafts. And all evidence suggests Darth Vader wasn't originally a title, but a name. Like the dude could be the blond-headed friend of a guy name Gayne on a local-access show Gayne's World.

Darth Algar
Last edited by Sprocket on Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:12 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:More than meets the eye.

Darth-former.


Trans-Vader

Spoiler:
Trans-Vader.jpg

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11082
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Yakk » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:39 pm UTC

Except the problem there isn't Zelda or the Sword, but rather the Green.
Spoiler:
Image
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
Link
Posts: 1356
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:33 am UTC
Location: ᘝᓄᘈᖉᐣ
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Link » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:40 pm UTC

azule wrote:Link, halogen is the long lights, right? I have 2 fixtures that have have the light, 2 that don't. They could take 2 lights in each fixture. But, I'm not gonna spend money and effort on these special lights. *BUZZ*

They can be, but these weren't. The ones I replaced yesterday were these (€0.40 for two of them) and the ones that broke yesterday and that I replaced half an hour ago were these (€1.29 for two of them).

Anyway, new rant: some fucknut taped a bin bag to a post at Leiden Centraal. Needless to say, the police were informed of a suspicious package (hehe, "suspicous package"), the area was evacuated, and explosive ordnance disposal was sent to investigate. Public transportation in half the gorram country was totally disrupted for hours. Now it turns out to have been a publicity stunt by some advertising firm. I hope the arsecrickets responsible for this little prank die a slow and painful death, preferably involving lots of fire.

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11082
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Yakk » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:18 pm UTC

Rant: Sometimes I click on people who I have foed. And what I read, 9 times out of 9.1, annoys me.

In a completely unrelated note, azule: You are wrong. You are being a jerk.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:41 am UTC
Location: Ciudad de Panamá, Panamá

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Weeks » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:25 pm UTC

azule wrote:I attempted to be gentle in my proddings, but to you you've taken it to be jerk language regardless... O. K. :?
Beg your pardon, my good sir, but you are an arrogant, obnoxious, ignorant, and generally unpleasant human being, whose presence we could surely do without. Please do not take me for a rude man, because that I am not. I bid thee farewell.
NieXS wrote:Oh god that smiley ruined it.
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

User avatar
Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.
Posts: 2003
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:18 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Deva » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:41 am UTC

(At no particular person)
Please be mindful of your words. Realizes this thread's purpose and title. Convey your feelings. Accomplishes more without spears*, however.

* Mentioned it on conflict de-escalation site. Related it to "Fight or Flight" responses working well for killing woolly mammoths, but not present day discussions. Saw an acronym elsewhere for things to avoid too: TACOS (Threaten, Argue, Challenge, Order, and Shame).

Might not have picked up useful techniques. Learned not to eat tacos with spears, though.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26438
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:26 am UTC

Weeks wrote:
azule wrote:I attempted to be gentle in my proddings, but to you you've taken it to be jerk language regardless... O. K. :?
Beg your pardon, my good sir, but you are an arrogant, obnoxious, ignorant, and generally unpleasant human being, whose presence we could surely do without. Please do not take me for a rude man, because that I am not. I bid thee farewell.

In case anyone missed the point, "gentle" doesn't mean "not a jerk".
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself
Posts: 5419
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:31 am UTC
Location: Lexington, MA
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby doogly » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:02 am UTC

azule wrote:I called her "female" not just "some girl". I attempted to be gentle in my proddings, but to you you've taken it to be jerk language regardless... O. K. :?

"Female" isn't that much more gentle, should've gone with "m'lady."
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9967
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby addams » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:21 am UTC

Deva wrote:(At no particular person)
Please be mindful of your words. Realizes this thread's purpose and title. Convey your feelings. Accomplishes more without spears*, however.

* Mentioned it on conflict de-escalation site. Related it to "Fight or Flight" responses working well for killing woolly mammoths, but not present day discussions. Saw an acronym elsewhere for things to avoid too: TACOS (Threaten, Argue, Challenge, Order, and Shame).

Might not have picked up useful techniques. Learned not to eat tacos with spears, though.

ahh, Deva;
The voice of reason.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 4785
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:23 am UTC

sick of the whole fucking world. everyone should die. tired of this bullshit.

finally was getting into a space where my problems were fucking dealt with and i had mental energy i could apply to things i wanted to do with my life, things id been putting off for years or decades while dealing with more importnat shit

and then when im finally starting to actually LIVE MY FUCKING LIFE AGAIN my mom becomes a walking goddamn disaster area with a new huge problem every fucking day that she needs me to bail her out of

last year i lent her over 700 dollars, 500 of it in the past few months. in the past two weeks i've bailed her our for 500 rent and 200 overdraw at her old bank, opened a new bank account for her with 25 bucks that was supposed to sit there until her next disability check comes in on the first, bought her a month's worth of groceries and gave her 20 of emergency cash in case she desperately needed something before the first because she ALREADY SPENT THE 25 ON FUCKING SOOYYYY MILLLK IN THE THREE DAYS BETWEEN OPENING THE ACCOUNT AND TAKING HER SHOPPING, took over all her finances and set up a plan to make sure she never goes a single day with zero money or ever misses rent again if she can just get through to the fucking first of the month so we can fucking start the goddamn plan when her next fucking check comes in. plan also includes slowly paying me back over the course of the next year, and i don't want to pay another fucking thing until the check definitely comes in to the new bank account and its definitely clear that i can actually control what she's spending so this doesn't all just happen again next month and again and again FOREVER, IT'S BEEN HALF A FUCKING YEAR SINCE I"VE HAD A SINGLE FUCKING MONTH I DIDN'T HAVE TO SAVE YOU FROM SOME SHIT OR ANOTHER MOM, GET YOUR FUCKING SHIT TOGETHER SO I CAN LIVE MY GODDAMN LIFE. then right after that, she LOSES THE FUCKING 300 dollar PHONE I JUST BOUGHT HER TO REPLACE THE ONE SHE LOST A MONTH AGO, which only costs 50 (MAYBE, THE BILL HASN'T COME YET) because I'm paying $7/mo insurance on top of over $50 something per mo just for her to have the fucking phone in the first place, on my plan, of which she uses up 90+% of the monthly service available. then she keep sfucking begging me for more money, MORE MONEY IN THE PAST TWO WEEKS AFTER ALL THIS ALREADY< WITH HER 1600 IN DEBT TO ME ALREADY, because she fucking "NEEDS" SOY MILK AND FUCKING YOGURT, BITCH YOU ARE NOT GOING TO FUCKING DIE IF YOU DON'T GET YOUR FUCKING SOY MILK, EAT THE MONTHS WORTH OF FUCKING FOOD I BOUGHT YOU A GOODAMN WEEK AGO YOU INCOMPETENT WHINEY FUCKING WHORE. then on Friday she needs 25 for "medicine", which she says she will pay on her debit card so i can see it, but instead she withdraws only 20 of it in cash, and claims that the "computers were down" which the pharmacy can'tconfirm, and then i find out the next day when i call her about that that she went to some fucking party that night, so she just fucking wanted 20 dollars for spending cash for her FUCKING SOY MILK JESUS FUCK DRINK FUCKING WATER LIKE MOST OF THE FUCKING WORLD HAS TO. Then yesterday she calls me again asking for money because she NEEDS YOGURT AND SOY MILK JESUS FUCK HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU YOU DO NOT FUCKING NEED FUCKING SOY MILK TO LIVE YOU GODDAMN ADDICT, GET YOUR FUCKING SHIT TOGETHER BITCH. Then she asks if she can have money for "medicine" instead, LIKE IM GOING TO FALL FOR THAT AGAIN DO YOU THINK I AM FUCKING STUPID. so i say no, and she accepts it and will just wait FOUR FUCKING DAYS UNTIL THE FIRST OF THE MONTH JESUS FUCKING CHRIST CAN YOU WAIT A FEW GODDAMN MORE DAYS SO WE CAN START THE FUCKING PLAN AND THEN, I SWEAR, YOU WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER GO A SINGLE FUCKING DAY FOR THE REST OF YOUR MISERABLE LIFE WITHOUT AT LEAST A LITTLE TINY BIT OF CASH TO SPEND AS YOU FUCKING LIKE ON WHATEVER FUCKING SSOOOOYYYYY MIIIILLLLK YOU FUCKING WANT. but then today she calls me again, from the pharmacy, and I talk to the pharmacy, and they confirm that they are the pharmacy, but can't tell me what she is buying, and can't take a credit card over the phone, but i can transfer her money and she can pay it on a debit card, but the pharmacy is at the fucking grocery store so for all i know she wants to buy her goddamn whiney bitchy little candy because she can't fucking drink water and eat the same fucking cheap food i lived off of for the past decade FOR A FEW MORE FUCKING DAYS UNTIL HER CHECK COMES IN JESUS FUCK. never mind that on Monday after that happens I'm going to the two fucking payday loans places you've been going to for months and paying over another 400 dollars of your goddamn debt. DO YOU REALIZE HOW FUCKING DEEP IN THE HOLE YOU ARE AND WHAT I AM STILL ALREADY DOING TO DIG YOU OUT OF IT!? HOW IT'S GOING TO TAKE A FUCKING YEAR FOR ME TO SLOWLY GET SQUARE AGAIN AFTER ALL THIS SHIT!? How i'm putting off all the shit I was FINALLY GOING TO FIX UP MY HOUSE WITH, the shit I was going to do "right after I move in" TWO FUCKING YEARS AGO before my own fucking probems made that all take a back seat for a while, FOR ANOTHER FUCKING YEAR BECASUE OF YOU!?

and fuck, i know it's not a lot of money to live off of, but you know what, I LIVED OFF THAT KIND OF INCOME FOR TEN YEARS, WITH HIGHER RENT, AND MORE EXPENSES, WITH NOBODY BAILING ME OUT, AND I SAVED UP TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS DOING IT while you were fucking in Vegas with your abusive goddamn on-again-off-again "fiance". And my girlfriend still lives off of that same kind of income and she's saved much much more than even that! And is waiting on me to save back up again enough to combine with her so we can finally fucking live together like a real adult couple BY SOME TIME IN OUR LATE THIRTIES, MAYBE BY OUR TENTH ANNIVERSARY. If you're not an incompetent total fuckup who can't manage their own life like a fucking grownup then it's possible to live a decently comfortable life like that and even SLOWLY SAVE MONEY FOR EMERGENCIES SO YOU'RE NOT A BURDEN TO EVERYONE AROUND YOU. I did it for a decade and YOU DIDN'T FUCKING BAIL ME OUT. I CLAWED MY FUCKING WAY OUT OF THAT TOOL SHED NEXT TO DAD'S TRAILER AND OWN MY OWN FUCKING MOBILE HOME NOW BECAUSE I'M NOT A GODDAMN IDIOT, and now after a fucking decade and a half of CLAWING MY WAY OUT OF POVERTY I'd like to enjoy life and live a little bit instead of spending EVERY FUCKING DAY OF THE REST OF MY FUCKING LIFE DEALING WITH YOUR PROBLEMS. GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER OR YOU CAN DIE IN THE FUCKING GUTTER FOR ALL I CARE.

five hours ago i got off work and started writing a short story i was just sitting down to write two weeks ago when all this shit happened, thinking that after telling her off last night we could at least wait until after the weekend to deal with more of her bullshit. five hours later now i still haven't managed to calm down enough to start writing again. every fucking day for the past two weeks this happens. i think the shit is done and then she has ANOTHER FUCKING PROBLEM THAT RUINS MY ENTIRE GODDAMN NIGHT. I CAN'T FUCKING SLEEP. i tried to take a shower after spending about three hours failing to calm down by doing internet shit, because every fucking site on the internet is filled with worthless goddamn morons these days, but only got halfway through the shower before i beat the everliving shit out of myself again, then slipped and banged my elbow something awful on the edge of the tub. didnt finish showering, put on clothes while still wet, went to the store to buy cheese and crackers and birthday cake frosting stuffed chewey chips ahoy cookie sand chocolat emilk, to eat until i either get sick or feel better. neither has happened. can't stop thinking about this fucking bullshit. want to put a fucking bullet in my head but don't have a gun. probably for the best. i'll just beat myself to sleep agian. fuck the world. i hop eyou all die in a fire because every last fucking human being is a miserable sack of shit who doesnt deserve to live you guys are ok
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9967
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby addams » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:41 am UTC

oh, Pfhorrest;
That's fucked up.
I'm so sorry.

Shit like that is why God created Tranquilizers.
That shit's upsetting.

Sleep is healing.
But; You can't fucking sleep.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Neil_Boekend
Posts: 3220
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am UTC
Location: Yes.

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:30 am UTC

Pfhorrest, that sucks. You have my sympathies.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

User avatar
Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:34 pm UTC
Location: Here, I suppose. I could be elsewhere...

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:51 am UTC

Holy crap Pfhorrest, that is a really shitty, shitty situation to be in. =/
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.


she/her/hers
=]

User avatar
K-R
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:42 pm UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby K-R » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:16 pm UTC

azule wrote:
Pfhorrest before striking out wrote:i hop eyou all die in a fire because every last fucking human being is a miserable sack of shit who doesnt deserve to live
I often agree with you. Just look at what I have to deal with below.

Wow.

User avatar
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself
Posts: 5419
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:31 am UTC
Location: Lexington, MA
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby doogly » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:28 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:This is you irrefutably demonstrating that you are hung up on the gender mismatch displayed in a pithy Starbucks cup joke. The gender of the cup holder is entirely inconsequential to the story. It means nothing. That your instinct, when faced with such an inconsequential gender mismatch is to resort to 'gentle prodding' speaks volumes about your default assumptions -- namely, that there is something wrong or unusual going on that you simply must explore further. You may not be trying to make it worse, but in this case you are by dragging the gender mismatch up when it is entirely irrelevant.


At yet another level, the default to questioning like this is widely seen as an expression of privilege; that the non-conforming person owes you an explanation and has some obligation to help you learn. They don't. Now You Know.


Just listen to Azrael. He is saying the wise things correctly and directly.

If you didn't understand my post, don't worry about it. It was really for you. I have no idea what would give you the impression we currently have a colorblind society, but egads do I not have time or patience for this. Rejoice in Azrael's grace and patience. I was just making a joke about fedora culture, with this "gentle" thing you had going.

I'm not sure where Azrael gets his patience from, but please do take advantage of it.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Wonderbolt
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:11 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Wonderbolt » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:41 pm UTC

azule wrote:I know there's a big gender identity equality thing here on the fora, but seriously, it's still okay for people to identify with their similar gender.

...Did you seriously just pull the "cis people are so oppressed!" card? >_>

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:08 pm UTC

I had no idea Darth Vadar had a burnt off penis. In fact, aside from the fact that he fathered some kids, I had not given any thoughts to his reproductive habits or equipments.

Is that canon from the films, or did the expanded (heh) universe get into his lava-castration?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:12 pm UTC
Location: St. Heraldwulf's Stone
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Will » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:09 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Wonderbolt wrote:
azule wrote:I know there's a big gender identity equality thing here on the fora, but seriously, it's still okay for people to identify with their similar gender.

...Did you seriously just pull the "cis people are so oppressed!" card? >_>


We're rockin' the suburbs here, folks.

Y'all don't know what it's like, being male, middle-class and white.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 4785
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:43 pm UTC

im almost glad im still having a total meltdown over hre so i dont have the energy to participate in this trainwreck of a conversation
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1254
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby freezeblade » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:23 pm UTC

Well, that escalated quickely...
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26438
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:36 pm UTC

azule wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:We're rockin' the suburbs here, folks.
I'm sorry, this is offensive. This kind of assumption from y'all, but I can't ask a non-assuming question to another member. I have lived in many places, including the suburbs, including the really bad neighborhood, including a car, including fuck you. Y'all can think whatever the fuck you want of me, but it's probably based on bullshit like this. I hope y'all are happy with your way of putting people down which is way better than "my way of putting people down". It's not, btw. If you don't like something you say I did, then don't fucking do similar shit to others, yourself. :evil:
It's a bloody song reference.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:58 pm UTC

A song that doesn't contradict its title.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby azule » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:27 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:It's a bloody song reference.
Including Will's contribution? I guess he knew it was a song, too, but wrote me special lyrics. That was nice of him. /sarcasm

Edit: New page, folks. Rock this page good. We only need personal ramblings/rants here, not in-fighting.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26438
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:32 pm UTC

azule wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:It's a bloody song reference.
Including Will's contribution? I guess he knew it was a song, too, but wrote me special lyrics. That was nice of him. /sarcasm

No, he didn't write you special lyrics. He wrote the lyrics of the song.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:12 pm UTC
Location: St. Heraldwulf's Stone
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Will » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:33 pm UTC

I choose to interpret as azule saying that I am literally Ben Folds. My secret is revealed!
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3486
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:30 pm UTC

I'm named Jonathan but usually give my name as Jon, partly because it's shorter and partly because I want to see how they'll spell it. I get about 85% "John" and 15% "Jon".

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3808
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:32 pm UTC

I'm named Jesse and unless I spell out the name, I get "Jessie" 90% of the time. :x
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1254
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby freezeblade » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:35 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I'm named Jesse and unless I spell out the name, I get "Jessie" 90% of the time. :x


Are you male or female?
Jesse = Male, Jessie = Female. Well, in general at least. I haven't met someone where this pattern is not true.

My Name's Graham, and the breakdown usually works like this:
Grahm: 50%
Graham: 40%
Gram: 10%

I figure that if I lived somewhere that Graham is a more common name (like say, somewhere in the UK), this issue wouldn't exist, or at least be far less prelevent.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3808
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:37 pm UTC

It's weird because the "Jesse" spelling is more prevalent than the "Jessie" alternate spelling. And yes, Jesse is generally a male name; it's Biblical.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

User avatar
Quercus
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:22 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Quercus » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:52 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I'm named Jesse and unless I spell out the name, I get "Jessie" 90% of the time. :x


Aww, now you've gone and got both Jesse James songs stuck in my head.

User avatar
Adam H
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Adam H » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:03 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:My Name's Graham, and the breakdown usually works like this:
Grahm: 50%
Graham: 40%
Gram: 10%

I figure that if I lived somewhere that Graham is a more common name (like say, somewhere in the UK), this issue wouldn't exist, or at least be far less prelevent.
If you lived in the UK I'm guessing the breakdown would be

Graeme: 90%
Graham: 10%

Edit: actually I guess Graeme isn't English, is it. I work with three Graeme's (seriously) so that's what I was basing that on.
Last edited by Adam H on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-Adam

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Adacore » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:05 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:I figure that if I lived somewhere that Graham is a more common name (like say, somewhere in the UK), this issue wouldn't exist, or at least be far less prelevent.

I know someone in the UK whose name is Graeme. I imagine he has the opposite problem.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Adam H. Who, coincidentally, shares my real name.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26438
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:18 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:I'm named Jesse and unless I spell out the name, I get "Jessie" 90% of the time. :x


Are you male or female?
Jesse = Male, Jessie = Female. Well, in general at least. I haven't met someone where this pattern is not true.

My Name's Graham, and the breakdown usually works like this:
Grahm: 50%
Graham: 40%
Gram: 10%

I figure that if I lived somewhere that Graham is a more common name (like say, somewhere in the UK), this issue wouldn't exist, or at least be far less prelevent.

"Graham" is by far the more common spelling in the US.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Quercus
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:22 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Quercus » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:18 pm UTC

My real name is Francis, I get that spelled Frances a lot (I'm a guy so that's pretty unlikely to be correct). Plus I get a lot of blank looks when I say "Francis with an i", which I don't understand - there's only two vowel sounds in the word, and one of them definitely isn't an i.

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1254
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby freezeblade » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:28 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:"Graham" is by far the more common spelling in the US.

This is true, but the breakdown I gave was how people attempt to spell my name. I don't understand it, because Graham Crackers, or Golden Grahams, or Teddy Grahams, etc. are all spelled this way, yet somehow they always forget that second 'a' and spell it as "Grahm"

If I spelled my name as "Graeme" about 1% of the population would probably spell it like that, if they attempted. Attempts at "Graeme with two "e" would probably garner blank stares.

I have a similar problem with my last name, which every sales person ever pronounces like "Car-liz-ul" (It's Carlisle, I'm sure you smart folk can figure out how to pronounce it. protip: the s is silent, like in "isle")
Last edited by freezeblade on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests