Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Whizbang » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:37 am UTC

Keep track of their half of the expenses, even if they don't pay it. You could try arranging a meeting with them and explain that you feel like they have been taking unfair advantage of your family, and going forward they will be receiving a monthly statement detailing the household bills and their portion of the totals. Even if they only pay a token, every month they will be confronted with how much they should be contributing. It is up to you to include a running total of back-due amounts (I feel this may make them feel overwhelmed and resentful), but at least prevent them from ignoring their responsibility.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:57 am UTC

oh, Yablo;
I'm so sorry.
This is my house, and I get physically sick just getting home from work and seeing my in-laws' cars in my driveway. I don't care who you are, or what you're trying to do; there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for me to allow myself to feel like I don't want to come home.

It's so awful to Not feel a welcome joy at your own HomeComing.
By doing what Whizbang suggests you will engage yourself in a project.

Your situation makes people feel helpless.
At least you will be doing something.

You will have a running record for yourself.
That's important.

Your situation makes people feel nuts.
You will have a record you can turn to.

And; For your wife, that's important, too.
When you can not afford something for your son,
You can calmly hand her the record.

Rule #1. Make it Simple and easy to read.

I'm so, so sorry.
Your poor, poor wife.

This may damage your wife's relationship with her sister.
Or; It may damage your wife's relationship with you.

umm. On the Up note...
Tell us about the baby.

How cool is he, in this heat?

EDIT: I have a little Rant.
The Domestic House Cat should be in The House.

There are Rats where I live.
Some are a native Forest Rat.
Some are big mean Wharf Rats imported from Europe.

Idiot people get cats to control the Rats.
Cats kill easy prey. Rats are not easy.

There were five cats here when I moved in.
There were also a lot of Rats.

The cats are gone.
The Rat population is the same.

But, Quail and Lizard and Snake and Robin and loads of little easy to kill fauna returned when the cats were gone.
The cats from neighboring houses come here for easy hunting. Bastards and their Idiot owners.

One woman yells at the cat she has, when it chases easy prey.
The woman is an idiot. A cat will not kill Rats with consistency.

Cats are not stupid.
Rats are mean and fight back.

I have watched cats watching Rats.
All these idiot humans believe with all their hearts a fucking Urban Myth.

Cats do not control Rats unless you have absolutely Nothing else.
Think about it.

When there are Quail and Robin to kill;
What cat wants to tangle with a Rat?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:03 am UTC

Oh man, that sounds like the worst. I would suggest some sort of ultimatum with a time limit, maybe? 'We need help with the finances and unfortunately that's not happening, we'll give you [amount of time] to sort things out, but if you're not contributing in a very real way to the finances, we can't let you live here anymore'

I think getting nice and specific about the amount of money and amount of time might be useful. I'm really sorry that this is happening though, it sounds really tough.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:13 am UTC

Yeah, specific about the time and money would help, and getting it written and signed by them so they can't just change their minds would also help your side.

Of course, they'd probably see/describe that as absurd and ridiculous and why can't they just carry on as they used to, but... sounds like something has to change. And this is a step somewhat in the direction of improvement, short of kicking them out of the door... and yet, it will make them want to live somewhere else. And you get your home back.

Also, yes, the truck/bike/truck incident sounds terrifying.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:47 am UTC

People who leach will continue to do so if enabled to do so. It sucks but I'm in agreement with others here, you're going to have to take a strong position to get them to change. What they are doing is not right, Family or not. The other family not being willing to do this for them proves that. You've gone above and beyond. You can't put your on family at risk for theirs. Sadly I know all too well how people leach. It totally sucks and it totally feels like shit to do ultimatums, but In the end that is the only thing that works.

Wednesday - holy fuck! Ehugs if you want some.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:57 am UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:We're playing World of Darkness I think?

That kinda makes it worse. At least D&D doesn't hide that it's a vague combat simulator with role playing tacked on. World of Darkness is meant to be role playing with combat stapled to the side. I mean, I've heard a few things describe (at least older versions) of WoD so focused on the improv role playing aspect that "If you're have to make more than two or three skill checks, you may be playing wrong"

At any rate, unless the dude is a mate or something, I still don't see how character belief would translate to a skill bonus. And that's only because I don't know how mages work.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:09 pm UTC

I quite like how free-flowing we are with the rules. It's true combat is a bit of a drag but I've never really found combat to be the reasons that I'm doing the role playing anyway? I prefer character interactions, making plans, running amok in a new world. The dice (to me) should just be a way of facilitating things rather than dominating my game.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

roband

Postby roband » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:19 pm UTC

Every time I hear (see?) someone talking about those sort of games, it sounds amazing. But I don't know that I have the creativity to be good at it. Or where I'd go to find out how it works.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:47 pm UTC

Yeah. I'd really like to get into tabletop role-playing. Apart from people on here though I've got no-one in my current friend groups who is the right sort of geek for that.

As well as playing I think I might eventually really enjoy GM-ing because I love constructing imaginary worlds and setting stories within them (it's something I do spontaneously in my head quite a lot).

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:48 pm UTC

We're not that great but we have incentives to make us better. Our GM makes us explain in excruciating detail how we're doing things in a 'hunterly' way if we want to blag in the 'hunter' skill. For example:

Me: I would like to blag in 'Hunter' for +2 please
GM: Well, you're kind of not in a situation where it works very well, you're only in a bar fight
Me: Well I bar fought with a lot of caribou?
GM: You're gonna have to explain it
Me: Remembering that time in which I wrestled with a bear in the woods to save both my life and the life of my brother, I run forwards to grapple with the man in front of me who is much larger (and hairier) than me. I remembered that my little brother was terrified but managed to hit the bear in the eye with a stone which helped. I grab a beer mug from a table as I'm running forwards and smash it into my opponent's face. I skinned the bear after the fight and so after finishing my opponent off, I would like to find my pointiest knife and -
GM: Sure you can use the hunter skill
Me: I got 4?
GM: Well none of that worked.

My group of friends does it via google hangout because we're not close enough to all gather at someone's house.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:55 pm UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:My group of friends does it via google hangout because we're not close enough to all gather at someone's house.

How well does that work vs. IRL meetups? I'm not sure why, but it never occurred to me as an option.

I think this is another thing that needs to be put on my "to check out after my thesis is done" list.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:59 pm UTC

On a side note I don't think that's World of Darkness since its pretty rare to get pluses on rolls there unless you're talking about +2 dice to a check. That said the latest example you just posted kinda does make it seem like as long as the player can justify the use of the skill via some sort of backstory/belief or whatever you would get the bonus. Not sure how that last one is any different than the previous one where he was arguing about being tall/flexible. Except of course if they're making new stuff up every time.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:15 pm UTC

It might not be WoD, I do get confused with games. Sorry, may have lead people down the wrong track there.

It's the making things up that don't necessarily fit or generalizing outside of the remit. A certain amount of blagging is allowable but it might be something like 'I'd like to use my keen sense of smell that I have as a hunter to tell whether the person is lying to me or not'. Which doesn't make all that much sense.

IRL meetups are easier in the logistics, but we have a google drive with all of our character sheets, dice or dice rolling apps and headphones. I'm not sure how it would work if you needed a board of some variety because we don't use them. It works pretty well I'd say. We also don't really have all that many interactions of people trying to backstab each other so there's no being able to leave the room for secrets. I could imagine a situation where typing in a facebook chat could replace that though.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:47 pm UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:IRL meetups are easier in the logistics, but we have a google drive with all of our character sheets, dice or dice rolling apps and headphones. I'm not sure how it would work if you needed a board of some variety because we don't use them. It works pretty well I'd say. We also don't really have all that many interactions of people trying to backstab each other so there's no being able to leave the room for secrets. I could imagine a situation where typing in a facebook chat could replace that though.

If you want to do tactical things and have maps to move around in, there are some good ways. We used maptools for a while, which I feel like is a clunky program, but it was alright. There was also talk of using... I think roll20? We use that for rolling within google hangouts now, but I think they also have mapping capabilities. I only did map stuff with one online game, dnd, which recently ended, and the group transitioned to Cthulhu. The online stuff is glorious. I also do (did? it's sort of breaking out of remission...) one via email only, so much more text production (and sheets and such on google drive.) If you don't have a group, it's often easier to find pick up groups for that sort, like on mythweavers or other such page.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:02 pm UTC

Yeah, I've heard good things about roll20, though I haven't actually used it. I think there are also other plug-in type apps for roll20 and Hangouts that can do even more specific things.

Fractal_Tangent wrote:We're not that great but we have incentives to make us better. Our GM makes us explain in excruciating detail how we're doing things in a 'hunterly' way if we want to blag in the 'hunter' skill. For example: ...
This post reminds me of one of my favorite rpg rules ever. It's in Torchbearer. Or, well, it's a combination of a couple rules. The first is "Describe to Live". Players are meant to only describe what they're doing and not directly interface with the mechanics (at least as much as possible), then the GM will decide what, if any mechanics, need to come into play based on their actions and tell the player to roll, etc. As opposed to the player just being like "I wanna search for traps". Not good enough, describe how you're doing it.

The second rule is called "Good Idea". If a player/players describe doing in such a way that the GM thinks it would definitely overcome an obstacle (say a really clever way of disarming a trap or something) then the GM will say "You know, that seems like a Good Idea. You do it, no roll necessary". And considering that die rolls/time are a precious resource in Torchbearer any time you can bypass an obstacle of some sort without having to roll is a wonderful thing.

So, it greatly rewards player creativity and narration.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:18 pm UTC

I suppose I should play one of those systems. My main problem with the idea of "give mechanical rewards for good descriptions of character actions" is that the venn diagram of people I game with and people I know have a good knowledge on how to check for a variety of mechanical traps without triggering them (when they've presumably been devised to go off when being searched for) is two distinct circles with no overlap whatsoever.

Of course, it's the same diagram when you replace the first circle with "people I know" too, so there's that.
Spoiler:
I mean, I do understand rewarding player investment in their own character and the world, but if a player describes their woodsman character as someone who's been living in the woods since the age of 15 and is a regionally renown woodsman survivalist and knows all these things about surviving when starting out naked without even a sharp stone... and then describes their perfectly equipped character using their tools in the wrong way to build a shelter that, if built as described, would not only not stand up but would likely be worse than just crawling under a pile of loose branches...

How do you reward that? Do you just roll with it, or does the GM (who presumably knows the entire thing was bullshit from someone who has never been near more than 20 trees at once) say "Well... your description was vivid and you get rewarded for that, but your character actually does something effective and builds a decent shelter and not the ludicrous bullshit you just said"

Basically, I guess I have a problem giving a reward to someone who is wrong. And I know enough to know that, given the people I game with, pretty much none of them - myself included - know the first thing about the mundane crap our characters do with hardly a second though as it's almost instinctive to these fictional people. So it just seems *better* if I say "My character, who knows what the fuck she's doing as she has a goddamn 14 in Wilderness Survival and is from a desert region, does the things needed to not die in this slightly dangerous climate that I myself would probably last a total of six hours in because I survive the outdoors by never being in them (Oglaf, given that the worst thing in this one is some violence and the word shit, it's toddler-friendly by Oglaf standards. I mean, the next one is about a wizard putting magical tits on anything.)
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:26 pm UTC

We get style dice if we do things well which mean that if we're in a tricky spot and roll badly we can have a flat +1 or reroll a particular die. It means that we don't directly tamper with things but we do get a little bit of a reward. We can also spend them to add things to the world 'Can the giant flying sharks have teeth that have hallucinogenic properties? I'll spend a style die for it!'

This is usually reserved for describing something in a really cool way, playing to your foibles, heroically attempting to save someone, railroading everyone back on track if the GM is hating us. He also gives one out at the start of every session for doing a recap because he's lazy and can never remember what happened last week.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:09 pm UTC

Ah, I love the "Reward for doing the GM's job because the GM is a lazy bastard"

Because I really am a lazy bastard, and it really is a good way to do less work.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:19 pm UTC

If I can't be ready to run a game with less than 10 or 15 minutes of any sort of prep then I almost certainly won't run it.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:48 pm UTC

I've only run one game and I think people really enjoyed it. I didn't do anything serious, I set it in the town of Night Vale which nobody knew except one other player and started from there. It was weird and surreal and funny and just how I wanted it.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:16 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:Yeah. I'd really like to get into tabletop role-playing. Apart from people on here though I've got no-one in my current friend groups who is the right sort of geek for that.

As well as playing I think I might eventually really enjoy GM-ing because I love constructing imaginary worlds and setting stories within them (it's something I do spontaneously in my head quite a lot).

You might want to check Microscope, which is not so much RPG, but collaborative world-building. I can't recommend it enough, it's amazing.

Fractal_Tangent wrote:We get style dice if we do things well which mean that if we're in a tricky spot and roll badly we can have a flat +1 or reroll a particular die. It means that we don't directly tamper with things but we do get a little bit of a reward. We can also spend them to add things to the world 'Can the giant flying sharks have teeth that have hallucinogenic properties? I'll spend a style die for it!'

This is usually reserved for describing something in a really cool way, playing to your foibles, heroically attempting to save someone, railroading everyone back on track if the GM is hating us. He also gives one out at the start of every session for doing a recap because he's lazy and can never remember what happened last week.

The more I read your descriptions, the more I think you're playing some sort of FATE variant.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:57 pm UTC

I went and asked my GM. We use *ahem* the PDQ System. Sorry for confusing people with WoD, I have used WoD with those people before, I just assumed we were carrying on.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:46 am UTC

Whizbang wrote:Keep track of their half of the expenses, even if they don't pay it. You could try arranging a meeting with them and explain that you feel like they have been taking unfair advantage of your family, and going forward they will be receiving a monthly statement detailing the household bills and their portion of the totals. Even if they only pay a token, every month they will be confronted with how much they should be contributing. It is up to you to include a running total of back-due amounts (I feel this may make them feel overwhelmed and resentful), but at least prevent them from ignoring their responsibility.

I'm an accountant, so that's the sort of thing my mind does anyway. That might be why I feel everything as acutely as I do; I don't just know I'm covering a lot for them, I can provide numbers.

addams wrote:You will have a running record for yourself.
That's important.

Your situation makes people feel nuts.
You will have a record you can turn to.

And; For your wife, that's important, too.
When you can not afford something for your son,
You can calmly hand her the record.

Rule #1. Make it Simple and easy to read.

This may damage your wife's relationship with her sister.
Or; It may damage your wife's relationship with you.

Regarding Rule #1, I'm not just an accountant. I'm a governmental accountant, so I put together statewide reports and statements, and you can be sure those have to be as easy to read as possible.

I don't want anyone's relationships to be damaged, but if a relationship is going to take a hit, I'm going to make damned sure it's not the one I have with my wife.

addams wrote:umm. On the Up note...
Tell us about the baby.

He's absolutely adorable. I've never been much of a kid person. Even when I was 5, all I wanted was for kids to leave me alone so I could practice my reading and math. Babies have almost always seemed kinda creepy to me, but my goddaughter was born a year ago, and my son was born in June. They're just the most beautiful things I've ever seen. As for the heat, we're in Alaska, so it's not nearly as bad as it could be, but it's still been in the 70s (I consider 40 degrees to be t-shirt weather). He gets fussy when it's too hot at bed time, but otherwise he's pretty calm.

Also, thank you for asking. I never thought I'd be the kind to love talking about a baby, but I've found I almost can't help it now.

Fractal_Tangent wrote:Oh man, that sounds like the worst. I would suggest some sort of ultimatum with a time limit, maybe? 'We need help with the finances and unfortunately that's not happening, we'll give you [amount of time] to sort things out, but if you're not contributing in a very real way to the finances, we can't let you live here anymore'

I think getting nice and specific about the amount of money and amount of time might be useful. I'm really sorry that this is happening though, it sounds really tough.

I think we may have something worked out. Supposedly they have ferry tickets and will be moving September 2nd. I'm willing to let it go for another month if I know I'll be done with it then. The stress will ease, but it won't be gone until that day arrives because I won't believe it until I see it. They said they had ferry tickets last time, too. I talked to my wife, and she hasn't given my a straight answer yet, but I think we're in agreement that they'll be out on that day whether they're on a ferry or not. Of course, their kids are always welcome, but it's going to be a long time before I'll consider seeing them again.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:07 am UTC

roband wrote:Every time I hear (see?) someone talking about those sort of games, it sounds amazing. But I don't know that I have the creativity to be good at it. Or where I'd go to find out how it works.

Quercus wrote:Yeah. I'd really like to get into tabletop role-playing. Apart from people on here though I've got no-one in my current friend groups who is the right sort of geek for that.

Move to Alaska, and you're welcome to play in any game I run. I generally get really good feedback, and we get plenty of regular spectators even (not sure I understand the appeal of watching us play our game, but hey). I write up the game sessions in a story format here, and the link is in my sig if anyone is interested. It's modern Call of Cthulhu, so it's a different system than the one being discussed for sure, but I leave system out of the write up anyway.

I suppose a second solution might be for me to convince my wife to move to England. I know she wants to go, and she loves tea and fog.

pseudoidiot wrote:Yeah, I've heard good things about roll20, though I haven't actually used it. I think there are also other plug-in type apps for roll20 and Hangouts that can do even more specific things.

I ran a Dark Ages Vampire game for two years about fifteen years ago, and since then my friends and I have all moved away. We just picked it back up over Roll20, and fortunately we all kept detailed notes, and I have a good memory of where I was going with plot lines and such. It actually works really well most of the time. It's the internet, so there are sometimes technical difficulties, but otherwise the experience is very close to actually being at the same table. It also limits cheating in that you have an in-browser die roller.

pseudoidiot wrote:If I can't be ready to run a game with less than 10 or 15 minutes of any sort of prep then I almost certainly won't run it.

With the game in my sig, I put in tons of prep and research, but I can also improvise from a cold start without much trouble. There was a time in college where any time some friends wanted a game, they'd come to me and say "We want to play this. We have characters," and I'd be ready to go. They even woke me up at 3AM once, and I didn't fully wake up until I'd been running the game for about an hour.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:13 am UTC

Yablo wrote:I'm an accountant, so that's the sort of thing my mind does anyway. That might be why I feel everything as acutely as I do; I don't just know I'm covering a lot for them, I can provide numbers.
addams wrote:You will have a running record for yourself.
That's important.

Maybe getting it out of your head and onto paper will ease the mental burden a bit. That way, even though you know these numbers aren't ideal, offloading it onto paper will help you stop you thinking about it all the time.
addams wrote:umm. On the Up note...
Tell us about the baby.

Yablo wrote:He's absolutely adorable. I've never been much of a kid person. Even when I was 5, all I wanted was for kids to leave me alone so I could practice my reading and math. Babies have almost always seemed kinda creepy to me, but my goddaughter was born a year ago, and my son was born in June. They're just the most beautiful things I've ever seen. As for the heat, we're in Alaska, so it's not nearly as bad as it could be, but it's still been in the 70s (I consider 40 degrees to be t-shirt weather). He gets fussy when it's too hot at bed time, but otherwise he's pretty calm.

Also, thank you for asking. I never thought I'd be the kind to love talking about a baby, but I've found I almost can't help it now.

Yay! Babies have always been squee to me, even the pruney newborn ones. You're so lucky that he's not too fussy at this age!

Fractal_Tangent wrote:Oh man, that sounds like the worst. I would suggest some sort of ultimatum with a time limit, maybe? 'We need help with the finances and unfortunately that's not happening, we'll give you [amount of time] to sort things out, but if you're not contributing in a very real way to the finances, we can't let you live here anymore'

Yablo wrote:I think we may have something worked out. Supposedly they have ferry tickets and will be moving September 2nd. I'm willing to let it go for another month if I know I'll be done with it then. The stress will ease, but it won't be gone until that day arrives because I won't believe it until I see it. They said they had ferry tickets last time, too. I talked to my wife, and she hasn't given my a straight answer yet, but I think we're in agreement that they'll be out on that day whether they're on a ferry or not. Of course, their kids are always welcome, but it's going to be a long time before I'll consider seeing them again.

Is there a way for you guys to have some other renters (even if they're fake) lined up so they *have* to be out by a certain date?
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:54 am UTC

Shro wrote:Yay! Babies have always been squee to me, even the pruney newborn ones. You're so lucky that he's not too fussy at this age!

Oh, I know. It's only when he's hungry or needs to be changed, and even then it's a quiet sort of scream. He's started doing a lot of grinning and cooing lately, too. He seems to be a very happy baby, so he helps me out a lot with the stress of everything else.

Shro wrote:Is there a way for you guys to have some other renters (even if they're fake) lined up so they *have* to be out by a certain date?

We could easily have a line of renters for what we're asking them to pay. My mother just got an efficiency apartment for the same amount. She's got just enough room in her bedroom for the bed, and she only has a standup shower. Meanwhile, for the same amount, my in-laws get two bedrooms, a small living room, their own bathroom, half the garage, and half of a large driveway. I've always been really big on honesty, so I wouldn't feel right with fake renters, but real ones wouldn't be any trouble.

The thing I don't get is that my wife and I can easily afford everything on our own, but for whatever reason, when we have people living with us (even helping with bills), we get behind on things. The solution is pretty clear though: My family needs its own home.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:27 am UTC

I haven't really been paying close attention to this story, but I have a related rant:

Fuck helping people. Fuck lending money or anything that costs you money, or letting anyone be in any way financially depending on you and take you for granted. And fuck the fucking fuckers who take advantage of other people's generosity and turn happy warm-hearted people like who I used to be into the kind of person like me who would say something like this now. Turn a cold shoulder to the whole fucking world (so long as you're not taking advantage of anyone yourself in the process) and let them go fuck themselves and die in the cold wet streets if that's what it comes to.

In short, fuck my mom, but probably also fuck whoever's fucking you, Yablo. (I think you're the one with someone taking advantage of you, right? Like I said, haven't been paying attention).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:18 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I haven't really been paying close attention to this story, but I have a related rant:

Fuck helping people. Fuck lending money or anything that costs you money, or letting anyone be in any way financially depending on you and take you for granted. And fuck the fucking fuckers who take advantage of other people's generosity and turn happy warm-hearted people like who I used to be into the kind of person like me who would say something like this now. Turn a cold shoulder to the whole fucking world (so long as you're not taking advantage of anyone yourself in the process) and let them go fuck themselves and die in the cold wet streets if that's what it comes to.

In short, fuck my mom, but probably also fuck whoever's fucking you, Yablo. (I think you're the one with someone taking advantage of you, right? Like I said, haven't been paying attention).

I've gotta say, for not really paying attention, you pretty well encapsulated my feelings.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:22 pm UTC

Yablo wrote:My wife and I asked them to help out a little more since we were taking on more bills (another cable box, more cable channels, more expensive internet package, etc ...) to accommodate them at their request.
Are you still paying for these extra services? If you cancel their cable and internet, that will make mooching off you less appealing, while not kicking your nieces/nephews to the curb. They'll probably stop paying whatever meager amount they are now, but does that even cover this extra cost?

You also mentioned that you rent this house. Does your landlord approve (or know of) a second family living in what I'm guessing is considered a single-family dwelling? That may not be OK, and your landlord may be willing to play the heavy and take steps you aren't. On the other hand, (which has even more watches), this may put you on your landlord's bad side.

Some, if not all, states have laws regulating kicking tenants out. I don't know what your area's are, or if they apply to what are effectively undocumented subletters. Maybe look into those, just in case.

Have you seen the alleged ferry tickets? Did you see any last time?

What ever you decide, good luck, and I hope you come up with a plan your wife agrees to. I know you don't want to strain your relationship with her. She needs to understand that by not dealing with her relatives, she's straining her relationship with you.

Yablo wrote:I suppose a second solution might be for me to convince my wife to move to England. I know she wants to go, and she loves tea and fog.
If you do move to England, tell these in-laws you're moving to France.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

addams

Postby addams » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:11 am UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:It's the making things up that don't necessarily fit or generalizing outside of the remit. A certain amount of blagging is allowable but it might be something like 'I'd like to use my keen sense of smell that I have as a hunter to tell whether the person is lying to me or not'. Which doesn't make all that much sense.

I don't know anything about Gaming.
I do know, a keen sense of smell can reveal many things about a person's environment.
We smell well enough to tell gender, activity level, age, mood, health facts and maybe lying.

No. Not everyone has natural olfactory sensitivity.
As superpowers go, it's got to suck. Stuff stinks.

Modern human beings spend a lot of time and trouble washing physical and emotional facts down the drain.
oh...Sorry. Not a Rant. More of a fleeting thought.

Still...He might be able to sniff you and tell if you are lying.
He might have to watch your eyes constrict to be able to tell What you are lying about.

Do you have an MRI Vision Card?
That would be a useful power.
Even if you can only use it on the head.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:16 pm UTC

So I can't upgrade to Windows 10 because Acer hasn't written drivers for my graphics chip. What am I supposed to do with the status bar icon now? Leave it there until the heat death of the universe?
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:31 pm UTC

Yup.

Well, I keep kicking mine into the hidden part of the system tray. I seem to remember a registry hack and Windows Update to remove to make it go away, but doing that looked like Work.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:28 pm UTC

I did the Windows Update Uninstall, but it messed something up, so I opened GWX.exe (which had not gone away) manually. Nothing seemed to happen, but later I noticed the icon was back. I stopped the process again, so I hope it won't come back on its own.

Edit: It comes back after hibernation! It's a lot like a virus.
Anyway, I renamed GWX.exe to GWX.ex to stop it running again. Required a satisfying bit of "hacking" to accomplish:
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windo ... installer/
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:33 am UTC

Thankfully, Guillermo has been downgraded from hurricane to tropical storm and it looks like it's going to take a track that keeps it to the north of the islands. That said, it's supposed to be directly to the north of Oahu when my flight's supposed to take off to Vegas on Thursday and I'm going to be pissed if it gets cancelled or rescheduled. I can't change my hotel reservation.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:50 pm UTC

speising wrote:what if posters read the forum rules before opening threads?

what if posters read the forum rules before posting a lecturing reply about breaking forum rules which is against the forum rules

What if the moderators had reacted more rapidly to someone reporting the topic/thread? Then the post I'm ranting about and this post wouldn't have existed.

speising

Postby speising » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:57 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:

what if posters read the forum rules before posting a lecturing reply about breaking forum rules which is against the forum rules

What if the moderators had reacted more rapidly to someone reporting the topic/thread? Then the post I'm ranting about and this post wouldn't have existed.

Hm. Doesn't this violate the same / analogous rule?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:05 pm UTC

speising wrote:
Flumble wrote:

Hm. Doesn't this violate the same / analogous rule?

I'm not posting in the offending topic and I am ranting, so I believe I'm safe. Your response and this response, however... :roll:

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:12 pm UTC

Related to the D&D / WoD / Fate / PDQ thing about b______t / metagaming / cheating, I recently found myself on the receiving end of the GM meta-playing.

I had a Marvel Heroes character. Dangerous sort, appropriately enough. The group decided to play DC Heroes instead. The GM "ported" my character across from Marvel Heroes. This means he made the character sheet. It was his choice that my character had a garotte and a knife and knew how to use them, did not carry a cosh, club, baton, cobra baton or small supply of tranquiliser darts. I wrote the back-story.

Trigger warning: all kinds of nastiness. Gotham just got worse.
Spoiler:
The Knave was born and raised, if raised is the right word, in an expensive members-only club run by the mob. You're probably thinking of zirconium-studded tiaras and solid silver bunny-shaped cufflinks. Wrong kind of club. Opposite part of town. Not the other side of town, the opposite part. The part where carrying a compact 9mm semi-auto counts as going unarmed.
The club was expensive because it had a high turn-over rate of employees, and members-only because there just might have still been an honest cop somewhere and they didn't want him walking in and getting out again. If he'd wanted to go and tell the Captain of the local precinct, he wouldn't have had to go far. The Captain was a regular, and not a popular one. Any woman who spent an evening with him had to wait a week for the bruises to fade before she could work again. He chose the same one three weeks in a row once and she killed herself.
The Knave's father was a corrupt cop on the take. He took a lot of things, money, drugs, smuggled liquor, smuggled cigars, evidence and, whenever and however he liked, the Knave's mother. By that establishment's standards, he wasn't a particularly bad customer, but the welcoming smiles were all faked. Eventually, the PD had a bit of a clean-up, provided courtesy of another mob who didn't like their rivals having policemen on the payroll. The area filled with cops all looking for somewhere to lay the blame that wouldn't expose him and them.
The Knave's mother was pushing 25 by then, getting too old and used up for many of the customers, and got moved to other jobs like carrying drugs. She got caught, and was in jail when someone with a silly name and a sillier suit arranged a riot to cover his escape. She was collateral damage ... again.
That left the Knave to grow up in a world where people were in charge, customers or property. There was, clearly, another world outside it, and one of the women read him stories about other worlds, worlds of magic and wonder where idealism wasn't utter stupidity. He spent a lot of his time avoiding attention, hiding his body in the shadows and his mind in the fantasy worlds of books and movies.
Walking softly and talking softly came naturally to someone careful not to disturb the customers, and the Knave got good at it. He started being trusted with more and more "quiet little jobs," from most of which he'd come back with something interesting to read as soon as he could slip away.
Seeking mental shelter in fantasy worlds so much, he eventually mentally touched one, a place of deep, soft voices and long, slow swirls of mellow light. He touched it, and it touched him, and he found he could share a little of it with others through his voice. He became more than just a discreet courier. He became an asset.
When a senior member of the mob running the whorehouse passed away quietly in his sleep, having passed out from blood loss a minute after the assassins left the scene, he left behind a girl for whom he'd had big plans. Her name was Sophie, and she was being set up for Hollywood stardom or a music career or something like that, something with salaries rounded to the nearest hundred thousand. Whatever it was, his plan died with him, and that left her as an unexploited asset.
The Knave's talent made him the natural front man for the plan to exploit her. The people in charge, the ones who must be obeyed, told him to talk her into earning her keep, and she did. She was lovely, and innocent at first, and very pretty indeed, and she brought in a lot of money. She hated it. She sought refuge in the Knave's voice, and he became her friend, her understanding and sympathetic friend.
Understanding and sympathetic to her plight, he made plans to get her out. It took a while, but he got everything arranged. Unluckily for her, the bosses had noticed that the shine of innocence was wearing off her, and they'd decided to sacrifice her while there was still some left. The clients paid a fortune and locked the door. Hours later, they left the room and the Knave slipped in, already late to start her extraction and eager to get going.
He was too late. Standing over the bed, looking down at the wreckage of her body twisted atop light blue bedding stained black by her blood, he knew immediately that he was too late. He got blood and a few other things on his hands closing her eyes and then he collapsed, crying out the heart he'd only just learned he had.
Laughter snapped him out of it, laughter echoing up from downstairs. He knew that laughter, the laughter of the men who'd sold her to this fate, and mixed with it was the laughter of the men who'd paid to inflict it ... and he'd helped. He'd made it possible.
Rising to his feet, he took off his clothes with the coloured flashes that marked him as one of them and pulled on the dull black and grey clothes he'd brought for her to wear. They fit badly, but well enough, except the boots and the lace stockings. She'd liked lace stockings. Pressing one to his face, he stood and looked down at her through it, the eyes and mouth that had tricked her into this life and death covered by the comfort he'd meant to include in her getaway outfit.
It just seemed natural to keep it there. The other one, knotted around his upturned collar, held the bottom, but nothing was holding the top. He looked down at her face in a halo of the bloodied mess of her golden hair, knelt again and gently lifted her head to get the pillowcase from under it. The corners were still blue, still clean. He was not clean. He was soaked, head to toe and down to the bone, in her innocent blood. He dipped the pillowcase in it on the sheet until it matched him, then put it over his head and tied it.
When a thug came up to dispose of her body, he walked right past the Knave and straight to her. He was just about to lift her from the bed when he noticed the missing pillowcase. It was strange enough to make him straighten up and look around, and that was when he saw the closed door of the soundproofed room. The Knave had meant to lead her out cleanly and quietly. Change of plan: he was going to cut her out of their skins, and she was worth a million of them.
Somewhere along the way, he stopped. They couldn't be destroyed, and he was taking away the only protection the women, their property, had.
He found other ways to use his talents. To live there, you had to have eyes in the back of your head. He had eyes in the fronts and backs of every head around and in places there weren't any heads, and combined with a knack for not drawing unwanted attention those eyes brought him money, money that could be used to provide safe houses for runaway girls or to tip a waitress well enough to be sure she wouldn't have to earn her keep any other way. As long as he lost nearly as much as he won and tipped heavily, he was welcome almost anywhere.
That's not to say there weren't places he was very unwelcome, or that there were no more incidents, of course. Things like a man with a history of violence against women being found in an alley outside a club catering to his tastes, with "Nobody'd better go cuttin' on no whores, or I'll come back and kill every one of you sons of bitches" written on the fire escape in his blood did happen. That only happened once. Nobody seemed to need telling twice.

Batman? Oh, yeah. Heard of him. Hangs around the platinum bunny cufflinks part of town.

So Batman's not really noir, just dark, right? Yeah. That's the back-story of what would in City of Heroes have been a Blue-side Stalker. That's the character I played.

Into the adventure, we come across a scene in which a woman has been attacked in an alley as a means of drawing cops into an ambush. The cops are pinned down in some mediocre cover, hoping backup arrives before their inadequate ammo supply runs out. I spot movement (this is a guy who can spot movement in the alley outside without having to use a window, after all) in a building, vault onto the fire escape and get in there to find an ambusher lining up a shot on a cop who's unaware of the ambusher's presence. GM to me: "I assume you're going to use the garotte." Hell, no, I'm not. That guy's got a gun, garottes are slow, I don't have a personal force-field and I'm not Wolverine. Eyebrows go up. I go for the guy with my knife, pulling him off-balance and stabbing him through the throat. I am not aware of any jurisdiction where using lethal force to interrupt the criminal currently squeezing the trigger to kill an honest cop is considered wrong. No way am I wrestling the guy. It's bad enough that I brought a knife to a gun-fight. So the GM blatantly forces a failure on this and the guy playing Nightwing goes mental at me for using lethal force. Apparently, they failed to inform me that in the DC Comics universe a garotte is a non-lethal weapon, applying a tourniquet to a man's neck can save his life and firing shots in rather arbitrary directions is perfectly acceptable. Oh, yeah. Our cop fired a shot after a fleeing thug, despite knowing he had almost no chance of hitting him. It's okay, really. Most of Gotham's not made of living flesh, so that bullet probably didn't hit any innocent people. Nightwing, meanwhile, is blowing cover and commsec and everything else to rant at me. I believe the line used was: "If you ever try that again I'll give you a time-out you won't be coming back from." So, er, fuck the law, eh, Nightwing? Your idea of right and wrong is all that matters and you'll enforce it, no matter what the law says, and according to your idea of right and wrong, what I did was vigilanteism, and that's unacceptable so you're going to permanently remove me from the world? Really? It sounded a lot like some people in the back-story above, in some ways, and she's supposed to be an empath. She also pretended to have discussed with the others the possibility I'd do something like that, in advance, behind my back. Empath? I decided that she was more a liability than an asset at this point, and the GM told me the rest of the group felt that way about my character. Half an hour later, Nightwing's teleporting people into a hell-plane to be consumed alive by demons because she's pissed off. That, apparently, is just fine.
So, er, about this world in which physics, biology, morality and medicine all work differently and "hypocrite" and "empath" apparently mean different things. Perhaps you'd like to explain the differences to the player whose character you apparently designed to be utterly incompatible with the world's definition of "hero." Especially as you had tiem to read the back-story days before the game session. "By the way, DC isn't like Marvel. In DC, good guys never kill anyone at all, ever, no matter what, and bullets are harmless." Thanks for the clarification. Oh, wait. I never got any warning of those changes to the world laws.
Zohar wrote:You don't know what you're talking about. Please spare me your quote sniping and general obliviousness.

CorruptUser wrote:Just admit that you were wrong ... and your entire life, cyberspace and meatspace both, would be orders of magnitude more enjoyable for you and others around you.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:48 am UTC

I see your GM has never typed "Wonder Woman Max Lord" into google images before.

(spoiler : it's just various artist's take on that time Wonder Woman damn near ripped a guy's head off, knowing she was being live broadcast. And not really giving a damn, as it was not really a bad call)

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:47 pm UTC

Goddam fucking hot again. Barely mid-afternoon, already becoming unbearable inside, even with blinders down and both my fans running and not exerting any energy to do anything. Fucking hate this shit.

Hate it.

It's suicidal-ideation weather.

Return to “General”