Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Luthen
Posts: 2021
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:42 am UTC
Location: Dealing with xkcdian immigration
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Luthen » Fri May 23, 2008 4:23 am UTC

Wanderingcowboy wrote:
ishikiri wrote:But how do you confuse a Canadian accent with an English one? How? They're nothing alike! On a business trip in Conneticut my Boss (with the finance manager) had someone ask if he was from Canada whilst speaking face to face!

In America, there are two types of accents. First, there are American accents, which includes such flavors as the southern accent, the Boston accent, the New York accent, the Chicago accent, and a few other nice varieties.

Then there is the foreign accent, which is divided into "heavy English" (must say "gov'nor at least once per sentence), "heavy Australian" (must say either "mate" or "G'day" twice a sentence), "heavy Canadian" (There's a moose aboot the hoos!), and "other", which is if you speak English, are clearly not American, but don't lay your accent on thick enough for us to distinguish. Canada's pretty close to us, so that's what we'll assume.

My Dad is always told he has an English accent and he's lived in Australia all his life. He's never sure whether to be happy or not about it.

Nath wrote:
Luthen wrote:
eternal luna wrote:This! It's almost as if people consider those two interests [lit and calculus] as incompatible. And as though it's an either/or thing.

For most people it is.

I don't think so. Most of the people I know who like to think (and are good at it) enjoy many different kinds of thought. Most math/science/engineering people I know also enjoy a good book. I don't know many lit geeks, though, so I don't know whether they like to think about math-type stuff.

Well lots of people of can't do either would be really jealous of someone who can do both.

kellsbells wrote:I would consider myself a bit more of a lit geek than a math geek, but I truly enjoy both. I love reading and writing (I write a lot), but I love the clean logic of math and most science.

I think the problem is mostly that I am always friends with science/math people. Lit nerds or history nerds or whatever nerds are hard to find, so I always fall in with science-y people, who seem to not comprehend my other likes. The arts and sciences are not mutually exclusive! ARGH!!! I want to smash things with books and with lasers! :x

Smashing to so caveman, vaporising with a book though... that'd take skill.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

User avatar
Nath
Posts: 3148
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Nath » Fri May 23, 2008 4:49 am UTC

Luthen wrote:My Dad is always told he has an English accent and he's lived in Australia all his life. He's never sure whether to be happy or not about it.

I find this understandable. There are many English accents, and many Australian accents. The difference between two highly contrasting English accents is probably the greater than the distance between the closest English and Australian accents.

It isn't just Americans who have trouble telling accents apart. I know Indians who have trouble distinguishing English from American accents.

User avatar
Amarantha
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Amarantha » Fri May 23, 2008 5:48 am UTC

Coincidentally, there was a bit in the paper today about private school funding:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ ... e=fullpage

Today's rant: bras
All I want is something comfortable. How hard can it be? And don't get me started on bras that are advertised as "soft fabric" and "seam-free", and then you discover they're describing the OUTSIDE of the bra, because of course we have to look good in our Tshirts whilst we squirm in underwear-induced agony...
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

User avatar
Mmmm, Pi
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:14 am UTC
Location: Brumland, UK

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Fri May 23, 2008 5:52 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:Today's rant: bras
All I want is something comfortable. How hard can it be? And don't get me started on bras that are advertised as "soft fabric" and "seam-free", and then you discover they're describing the OUTSIDE of the bra, because of course we have to look good in our Tshirts whilst we squirm in underwear-induced agony...

Now this is so true. If my boobs were small enough to make wandering round without a bra a non painful option, I would so do that.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

User avatar
michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing
Posts: 2353
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:21 am UTC
Location: Citizen of the World
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby michaelandjimi » Fri May 23, 2008 7:00 am UTC

segmentation fault wrote:dear dunkin donuts,

stop screwing up my god damn coffee. when i say "black, no sugar" i want neither milk or sugar in it, so please stop putting one or both in when i order it. thanks.

fuck you. thanks for consistently screwing up my morning.

in addition they fucked up my god damn bagel. thanks for toasting it to oblivion. </3
Yeah, this. I went to Subway and said "Everything bar the pepperoni". The man then proceeded to tell the next person "Everything bar the chilli", who then proceeded to put on everything including the chilli. I didn't say anything because they were new, and I didn't realise later that I had every right to complain about.

Stupid empathy from working in the fast food industry.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

++$_
Mo' Money
Posts: 2370
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:06 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread

Postby ++$_ » Fri May 23, 2008 9:07 am UTC

Rant: Scented Detergents.

People who use strongly scented detergents in public washing machines are fucking inconsiderate. Fuck you, people. Now I have to wash my clothes a second time, which wastes water, energy, and my time, because of the residue of your God-forsaken detergent which I happen to be allergic to.

Get a goddamn unscented detergent, okee-dokey?

User avatar
eternal luna
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:54 am UTC
Location: Сидней

Re: Rant Thread

Postby eternal luna » Fri May 23, 2008 10:50 am UTC

Mmmm, Pi wrote:Now this is so true. If my boobs were small enough to make wandering round without a bra a non painful option, I would so do that.


Yay! I started doing this a couple of months ago, and I've never felt so freeeee! Though I do get punched a lot for it when my friends notice it :(
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

fuschia
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:56 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread

Postby fuschia » Fri May 23, 2008 11:16 am UTC

Punched in the boob? Are these real friends??? :shock:

I wish boobs were retractable - I don't think I'd want really small ones, I need something up there to balance out the child-bearing hips, and it's just painful not wearing a bra if they're big, but cat claw style boobs would be the best. Sexy and deadly.

User avatar
Amarantha
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Amarantha » Fri May 23, 2008 12:07 pm UTC

fuschia wrote:cat claw style boobs


Now that's a hell of a mental image :P


++$_ wrote:Rant: Scented Detergents.


On a similar note: Strong perfume/aftershave on public transport.
On the street, I can move away from that shit. On the bus, my headache and I are trapped in that chemical cloud for like an hour.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

User avatar
eternal luna
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:54 am UTC
Location: Сидней

Re: Rant Thread

Postby eternal luna » Fri May 23, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

fuchsia wrote:cat claw style boobs would be the best. Sexy and deadly.


I like :D

Fortunately, they're all guys, and as such do not venture near my boobs. Punches are generally aimed at the shoulder, or back.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

User avatar
mstrzerg
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:49 pm UTC
Location: Lexington Park, Maryland

Re: Rant Thread

Postby mstrzerg » Fri May 23, 2008 1:50 pm UTC

Airlines tickets....

Yesterday while I was at work I found out I could fly home to MN for 200 bucks because of a deal Sun Country was running. But I couldn't do anything about it until I got home from work. By the time I got home all the tickets for Friday had sold out and prices jumped to $500!! I'd just wait, but that's essentially through the entire summer. So I just decided that I'd take next Thursday off, since prices for Thursday through Sunday are only about $250. Well, today my boss isn't in, so I can't ask if I can take the day off. UGH! My coworkers are telling me to just buy the tickets and send my boss an email, so here's hoping that works out...

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Rant Thread

Postby SlyReaper » Fri May 23, 2008 3:10 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:Coincidentally, there was a bit in the paper today about private school funding:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ ... e=fullpage

Today's rant: bras
All I want is something comfortable. How hard can it be? And don't get me started on bras that are advertised as "soft fabric" and "seam-free", and then you discover they're describing the OUTSIDE of the bra, because of course we have to look good in our Tshirts whilst we squirm in underwear-induced agony...


Could you wear it inside out? Or is there a particular reason not to? (I've been known to wear pants inside out when my washing machine broke down and I didn't have time to sit in a Laundrette)
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Kythyria
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:29 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Kythyria » Sat May 24, 2008 10:43 am UTC

Sleep. I hate having to sleep for so long, leading to getting up late at weekends when I could be using all that time to DO stuff. It wouldn't be so bad if I could just wrap around the clock, but having anyone else in the house makes that stupidly impractical. And for that matter, why should I need to sleep? I hope someone figures out a more efficient substitute.

Big rant, however: my ADSL router. It works fine... if you are connected via it's ethernet port. Unfortunately, the computer connected that way isn't the one I use. Instead I have to use the USB connection, which appears to pretend to be ethernet. Badly. Quite aside from the driver has a bug that bluescreens the system if you disconnect the cable while resuming from hibernation, once resumed it doesn't work unless the cable is removed and reattached, or the router powercycled. Which I often have to do, because it has a built in DNS proxy. Which periodically stops replying from the same IP address as the request was sent to, so I get

Code: Select all

$ nslookup www.google.com
#Unexpected reply from <address>, expected 192.168.1.2
#Unexpected reply from <address>, expected 192.168.1.2

Where <address> is usually the internet-facing interface of the router. And all that is missing out the peculiar failure of the USB interface whereby any given connection will suddenly drop to 0kB/s and stay there until terminated. Thankfully, there are such things as caching, range headers, and rsync that can cope with such interruptions.

Gentoo's emerge command doesn't fetch all the packages first and only when they are all retrieved compile and install them. As a result I have to keep an eye on it all the way through, because of the aforementioned buggy router. So I can't leave it on while I'm not there to get through something like "emerge xorg-x11", so I can move on to KDE, squid, and nslookup (probably in reverse order).
Maurog wrote:I prefer "If God didn't want us to have X, He wouldn't have given us brains", with X being any human invention except religion.

User avatar
Amarantha
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Amarantha » Sat May 24, 2008 12:02 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Amarantha wrote:Today's rant: bras
All I want is something comfortable. How hard can it be? And don't get me started on bras that are advertised as "soft fabric" and "seam-free", and then you discover they're describing the OUTSIDE of the bra, because of course we have to look good in our Tshirts whilst we squirm in underwear-induced agony...


Could you wear it inside out? Or is there a particular reason not to? (I've been known to wear pants inside out when my washing machine broke down and I didn't have time to sit in a Laundrette)


I have actually tried that, once upon a time. It doesn't work very well. For one thing, most low-on-seams bras are moulded into a cup-shape, so they don't neatly turn inside-out. And even the thinner-fabric ones will usually have clasp that's scratchy on both sides, and a lump on the shoulder strap from its length-adjuster.

What I usually do is identify the scratchy parts, attack them with a diamond file to soften up the sharp bits, and just pray the damn thing doesn't fall apart as a result :?
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26510
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby SecondTalon » Sat May 24, 2008 2:48 pm UTC

Kythyria wrote:Big rant, however: my ADSL router. It works fine... if you are connected via it's ethernet port. Unfortunately, the computer connected that way isn't the one I use. Instead I have to use the USB connection, which appears to pretend to be ethernet. rant rant rantymcrantrant


Now.. obviously you know your own setup better than anyone else could but.... Ethernet cards are relatively cheap, even if this is a laptop... I mean, you can get desktop ethernet cards for less than $10 in some places, and laptop ones are usually less than $25.... Is there a reason you can't do this?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Yawgmoth
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:56 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Yawgmoth » Sat May 24, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

I want my roommate to stop fucking with our router NOW. He's a business/CS major, and I guess since he works at the help desk at school, he fells the need to dick about with our connection every goddamn week for no fucking reason! Oh goody, we squeezed out another kbps and all I had to do was reconfig every fucking thing on my laptop to get a wired connection to run! I sure am glad I pissed away yet another fucking hour so that you could jack off to tranny porn faster!

If he gets within 10 yards of that router again I'm ripping his throat out.

User avatar
Likpok
Posts: 471
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:21 am UTC
Location: :noitacoL
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Likpok » Sun May 25, 2008 1:00 am UTC

Kythyria wrote:Gentoo's emerge command doesn't fetch all the packages first and only when they are all retrieved compile and install them. As a result I have to keep an eye on it all the way through, because of the aforementioned buggy router. So I can't leave it on while I'm not there to get through something like "emerge xorg-x11", so I can move on to KDE, squid, and nslookup (probably in reverse order)


There is a way to do this. I forget the short flag, but I think --fetchonly fetches
so emerge <stuff> --fetch-only && emerge <stuff> will do what you want

Check the man page, i'm not sure exactly.

mstrzerg wrote:Yesterday while I was at work I found out I could fly home to MN for 200 bucks because of a deal Sun Country was running. But I couldn't do anything about it until I got home from work. By the time I got home all the tickets for Friday had sold out and prices jumped to $500!


This! I was getting tickets to visit my mom, and because we waited a few minutes past 12:00am, prices jumped $200. For the same flight. So now I'm possibly interfering with hanging out with friends (it's close). At least it beats not seeing them at all...
There's an art to cooking toast
Never try to guess
Cook it till it's smoking
Then twenty seconds less.

User avatar
Wanderingcowboy
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 9:11 am UTC
Location: Your mom

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Wanderingcowboy » Sun May 25, 2008 12:13 pm UTC

There are currently some kids playing "Chance" outside. Apparently, this game involves yelling "CHANCE!" as loud as you can, followed by throwing up a tube/stick/something of some sort as high as you can into the air... and then apparently hoping that it will not hit you. Now, normally I love stupid games that can possibly involve injury to me or my friends. (I really do, no sarcasm,) but when this stupid games been going on for over an hour! Right outside of my window!? BLARGH!

*Amazon.coms for:
Spoiler:
Image
Caution: May get wet.
Last edited by Wanderingcowboy on Mon May 26, 2008 1:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Randall on a skateboard!?
:mrgreen: <= This is my smiley. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My smiley is my best friend. It is my life. Without me, my smiley is useless. Without my smiley I am useless.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Rant Thread

Postby SlyReaper » Mon May 26, 2008 1:23 am UTC

My computer. It's a really nice computer with fairly high specs and didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Why then, can I never stop tinkering, upgrading, fixing, clocking, generally monkeying around with my computer? It's like a compulsion. If I'm not fiddling about with the innards of my PC, I'm thinking about it. I'm always having to restrain myself from spending a barrel-full of cash on high-end expensive components that might let me squeeze an extra 10 FPS out of my games. What is wrong with me?!?

I assume rants at one's self are allowed?
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
scowdich
The Hedgehog
Posts: 771
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 4:55 am UTC
Location: University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign)
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby scowdich » Mon May 26, 2008 7:02 am UTC

I shan't complain. At least, not about that.

Instead, I shall complain about college club politics! So, there's a person in [group name omitted] whom nobody really likes. She managed to get into an officer position by basically wheedling, begging, and becoming [cutesy voice]bestest friends[/cutesy voice] with one of the other officers, who left when she got into the position of [position omitted]. All year, she didn't do jack shit about her responsibilities, even volunteering to do a project for [event name omitted] which she put forth only a token effort on, forcing a much more dedicated dude to do most of the work when [event] finally happened, and still managed to go over budget buying baking supplies somehow. When officer elections came about for [group] this year, she made it clear that she had no commitments to interfere with her work in the position she wanted: President of [group]. She lost by, I'm told, a comfortable margin, to [awesome guy] whom everybody likes, and who actually deserved a position. The next week, when we did general elections, she made it clear that she would only really be continuing to hold a position for the sake of her [expletive deleted] resume, and could we expand her responsibilities in [group] please? ...Goddammit.

Oh, and it turns out that she was lying during her little campaign to become President of [group]. Turns out, she has a lot of interest in [tangentially related group], though she certainly hasn't shown it by going to events or anything. (A little backstory: [related group] is a bit unlike [group]. It's University-sponsored, and the [related group]'s officers get University positions, just like TA's: tuition waived, nice little stipend. Typically, the leaders of [related group] (there have pretty much always been two: a senior and a junior) recommend a gonna-be-a-junior to [related group]'s advisor, who hires the replacement. Nice little deal, everybody be happy and, most importantly, competent and conscientious.) Instead, she went behind the backs of the leaders of [related group] to the academic sponsor of [related group], basically recommending herself for the job which is now open. As it happens, I'm the dude that the leaders of [related group] recommended to the advisor: I go to events all the time, I'm always on time, I'm personable, etc. Now, the first two words any of us would use to describe Girl are "manipulative bitch". She'll literally cry to get her way. Unfortunately, the advisor of [related group] doesn't really know this; in fact, he doesn't really know either of us that well, so he's gone into conflict-avoidance mode and decided to hire both of us, making for 3 leaders where everyone had been happy with 2 (and she's graduating next year (I'm not), so she'll have just learned the job really well by the time she fucking leaves.) Now, I'm ecstatic to have gotten the job (no more out-of-state tuition guilt from Mom for me!), but it means I'll have to find a way to work with Manipulative Bitch for an entire year.

Well, fuck.

User avatar
michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing
Posts: 2353
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:21 am UTC
Location: Citizen of the World
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon May 26, 2008 7:24 am UTC

A mate of mine is being totally bitchy at me because I won't go to his party.

When there are 3 HSC (which, if you aren't Australian, is the school stuff that goes towards you getting into uni) assessments on the week after, two of which are on the Monday, when his party is on the Saturday.
I want to be a doctor, and it's not exactly easy to get into that. I just don't get how him having one more person at his party (and I'm not exactly his best friend, maybe top ten) is more important than my career.

Bloody self-important jackass. And he says I'm being precious.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

User avatar
Iori_Yagami
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:37 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Iori_Yagami » Mon May 26, 2008 7:41 am UTC

The Reaper wrote:Mentally Handicapped, face it, your retarded.

Ah, sweet irony... :roll:
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

Cabose
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:50 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Cabose » Mon May 26, 2008 8:30 am UTC

This is going to feel good
[rant]
So I know I haven't really posted much on these forums and under normal circumstances I would keep it that way but I really need to rant.
So for starters I hate people who talk about others behind there backs. I mean once in awhile is okay as in "So and so is such a dick I cant believe he did that" but to actually sit around and discuss how much you hate someone. I mean come on... cant you think of something better to do with your time. Join a fucking cult if your that bored.
Next people who complain when they don't really have anything to complain about. This may be a bit contradictory but bare with me. When people just sit around and nit pick at every little thing try to make there life sound so much more miserable then everyone else it drives me up the fricken wall. I mean boo fucken whoo your brother seems to get everything. MAYBE IF YOU TRIED ASKING ONCE IN A WHILE YOU WOULD GET SOMETHING TO YOU GREEDY COW.
People who don't try things. I mean I know your scared so am I but give it a fucken shot. I and most people will think better of you for try and failing than being a little pansy about it. And if it seems to hard then try harder DONT JUST GIVE UP.
And finally, hippies, vegetarians, homosexuals, religious nuts, coloured people, and feminists how much better then everyone else just because they do things that weren't the cultural norm 5 years ago. Quite trying to force your fucking opinions on people I don't care you if you pound but, eat grass, bust slugs, whip your man, pray every Sunday, or turn all your lights out at night. Quite showing off about it your not impressing anyone. And another thing turning your lights off at night doesn't necessarily save the environment. Power companies are constantly creating the same amount of power 24hr a day and so during the low times (night) all the power is being wasted cause no one is using it. You see the electricity consumptions is and ugly graph with some sever highs and lows. The first peak of the day is starts around 6am and ends around 9 or 10am. The next starts around 11:30 and ends around 1pm. The final and greatest high of the day isn't until around 5ish that goes until 7pm after that power usage starts do fall and then around midnight you get a nice even line till about 6 am the next day. So what power companies have to do is create enough electricity to keep a city running for 5-7 where it peaks the most and they need generate that amount of power for an entire day and what they want to to even out that line to the peaks arn't so massive. Therefore if you really want to help out the environment. Have your meals during the low times get appliances that you can set to turn on at 1 am in the morning and don't turn your lights on during the day.
[/rant]
Thanks
Cabose

The Reaper
Posts: 4008
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby The Reaper » Mon May 26, 2008 2:45 pm UTC

Iori_Yagami wrote:
The Reaper wrote:Mentally Handicapped, face it, your retarded.

Ah, sweet irony... :roll:

I was sleepy, typos happen.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26510
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 26, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

Is this where I point out that a typo would be your'e, you'er, youre, you'r or possibly even you'te, but your seems far too deliberate? No? Okay then.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
thecommabandit
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:25 pm UTC
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby thecommabandit » Mon May 26, 2008 10:34 pm UTC

Cabose wrote:Power companies are constantly creating the same amount of power 24hr a day and so during the low times (night) all the power is being wasted cause no one is using it.

I have no clue about other countries, but the National Grid here generates different amounts of power based on the time of day. There'd be far too much power in the grid and money being wasted if they constantly made the same amount, so they don't. At night very little (comparatively) is being generated because not many people use power at night whereas after a football match or Eastenders they use lots. Likewise, I don't see why any other country's power grid would be much different since it seems to work well enough.

Hence, I call bullshit.


You know what annoys me? Clunky mechs. It's an odd one, I know, but they're stupid. Why would some gigantic robot thingy enter active military service if it walked like a 70's robot? If it was a viable combat machine it'd have to move as fluidly as an animal. And seriously, why the hell do they always have to be shaped like humans? What's the point? If you had a central tank bit with four legs and two armatures carrying a range of weaponry it's kick any normal mecha's arse.
Image

User avatar
tryptanymph
More metal than thou
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:42 pm UTC
Location: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby tryptanymph » Mon May 26, 2008 11:16 pm UTC

I FUCKING HATE BEING ILL.

My eyes itch, my nose is blocked, my sinuses are about 423482154196541 times as big, my muscles and joints hurt, I'm hot, yet cold, you could fry an egg on my forehead, and I can't breath properly.

Know what else I hate about being ill? People who act all smug about the last time they were ill.

"Oh, I haven't had a cold in umpty years! Guess my immune system is much better than yours! HAHAHA!"

"FUCK YOU. I DON'T CARE. I FEEL ILL. GET ME SOME FUCKING CHICKEN SOUP AND A PORNO MOVIE OR GTFO BITCH."

...fuckers.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Cabose
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:50 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Cabose » Tue May 27, 2008 2:19 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
Cabose wrote:Power companies are constantly creating the same amount of power 24hr a day and so during the low times (night) all the power is being wasted cause no one is using it.

I have no clue about other countries, but the National Grid here generates different amounts of power based on the time of day. There'd be far too much power in the grid and money being wasted if they constantly made the same amount, so they don't. At night very little (comparatively) is being generated because not many people use power at night whereas after a football match or Eastenders they use lots. Likewise, I don't see why any other country's power grid would be much different since it seems to work well enough.

Where I live it is largely hydroelectric so it maybe different. That is how it was explained to me anyway. My be my teachers have been lying to me. Either way there are still peak periods that would serve the world better to be evened out to a nice flat line (not that its going to happen)
Cabose

User avatar
cypherspace
Posts: 2733
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:48 pm UTC
Location: Londonia

Re: Rant Thread

Postby cypherspace » Tue May 27, 2008 2:50 am UTC

Cabose wrote:Where I live it is largely hydroelectric so it maybe different. That is how it was explained to me anyway. My be my teachers have been lying to me. Either way there are still peak periods that would serve the world better to be evened out to a nice flat line (not that its going to happen)
Hydroelectric is the most on-demand type of electricity you can get. You can stop the water flowing until it's needed. I'm surprised at what you've been taught. It's fossil fuels and nuclear that are constantly using energy, and wind and solar can't be relied upon to produce energy when needed.

thecommabandit wrote:I have no clue about other countries, but the National Grid here generates different amounts of power based on the time of day. There'd be far too much power in the grid and money being wasted if they constantly made the same amount, so they don't. At night very little (comparatively) is being generated because not many people use power at night whereas after a football match or Eastenders they use lots. Likewise, I don't see why any other country's power grid would be much different since it seems to work well enough.
I'm again surprised. The National Grid is prepared for power surges like after football matches and Eastenders - there's a small hydroelectric supply for moments like that - but by and large, it does indeed produce the same amount of electricity most days and nights, a lot of it is indeed wasted, so electricity is priced according to demand, not supply.

This is according to what I've learnt over the past few years, but there's a guy I work with who's head of a technical standards commission (or some such body) to do with power transmission, so I'll ask him what he knows. I'm pretty sure it's correct though.

EDIT: Yes, it's correct.
Last edited by cypherspace on Tue May 27, 2008 12:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26510
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 27, 2008 3:50 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:You know what annoys me? Clunky mechs. It's an odd one, I know, but they're stupid. Why would some gigantic robot thingy enter active military service if it walked like a 70's robot? If it was a viable combat machine it'd have to move as fluidly as an animal. And seriously, why the hell do they always have to be shaped like humans? What's the point? If you had a central tank bit with four legs and two armatures carrying a range of weaponry it's kick any normal mecha's arse.


Because if you logically design a mech, you end up with a tank.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Reaper
Posts: 4008
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby The Reaper » Tue May 27, 2008 4:09 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
thecommabandit wrote:You know what annoys me? Clunky mechs. It's an odd one, I know, but they're stupid. Why would some gigantic robot thingy enter active military service if it walked like a 70's robot? If it was a viable combat machine it'd have to move as fluidly as an animal. And seriously, why the hell do they always have to be shaped like humans? What's the point? If you had a central tank bit with four legs and two armatures carrying a range of weaponry it's kick any normal mecha's arse.


Because if you logically design a mech, you end up with a Langolier.

Fix'd. Langoliers are the ultimate in destructive firepower. The trick only lies in sticking them in an airplane long enough to go back to the present.

User avatar
Nath
Posts: 3148
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Nath » Tue May 27, 2008 4:12 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
thecommabandit wrote:You know what annoys me? Clunky mechs. It's an odd one, I know, but they're stupid. Why would some gigantic robot thingy enter active military service if it walked like a 70's robot? If it was a viable combat machine it'd have to move as fluidly as an animal. And seriously, why the hell do they always have to be shaped like humans? What's the point? If you had a central tank bit with four legs and two armatures carrying a range of weaponry it's kick any normal mecha's arse.


Because if you logically design a mech, you end up with a tank.

Not necessarily. You might want something that can handle rougher terrain. Imagine a giant, armoured RHex or BigDog with a gun.

User avatar
Luthen
Posts: 2021
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:42 am UTC
Location: Dealing with xkcdian immigration
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Luthen » Tue May 27, 2008 4:33 am UTC

Nath wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:
thecommabandit wrote:You know what annoys me? Clunky mechs. It's an odd one, I know, but they're stupid. Why would some gigantic robot thingy enter active military service if it walked like a 70's robot? If it was a viable combat machine it'd have to move as fluidly as an animal. And seriously, why the hell do they always have to be shaped like humans? What's the point? If you had a central tank bit with four legs and two armatures carrying a range of weaponry it's kick any normal mecha's arse.


Because if you logically design a mech, you end up with a tank.

Not necessarily. You might want something that can handle rougher terrain. Imagine a giant, armoured RHex or BigDog with a gun.

Or Metal Gear?
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

User avatar
benjhuey
Posts: 3328
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:35 am UTC
Location: A collection of rocks

Re: Rant Thread

Postby benjhuey » Tue May 27, 2008 7:26 am UTC

My sleep patterns aren't, we'll say, consistent. Some nights are longer than others. During a normal school night, I'll average six hours. During the summer, it can jump anywhere between five to eleven hours. This makes for some very interesting periods of consciousness, which is understandable. My question, though, is this: why would one assume this makes me angry?

I can understand how sleeplessness might put a person a little "on edge", but why does this have to be the only solution? Sure, I stayed up until 2:00 AM last night. That would normally make me very tired, but I also got nine hours of sleep; I'm more rested than most other days. Still, though, you assume my annoyance toward you is because I'm tired. You give the same reason when I only look tired. I spent the last five hours having a staring contest with my computer monitor; of course I look tired. About 70 percent of the time, you say I look tired anyway. I don't see how that matters, then.

I do not need to "get some sleep" as you say; you need to stop pretending you know what's bothering me. Most likely, I'm so annoyed because of just that; you always call lack-of-sleep. Every damn time, no matter the situation. That's what annoying me.
多么现在棕色母牛?

User avatar
eternal luna
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:54 am UTC
Location: Сидней

Re: Rant Thread

Postby eternal luna » Tue May 27, 2008 10:50 am UTC

I wouldn't consider this a rant, but as it's neither fleeting, nor random... (and I just spelt "nor" backwards :( )

Today, while standing in the line at an Asian drink chain (yay- Ezy Way opened at Castle Towers! Right next to Boost!) a white friend of mine mentioned that he felt awkward standing in the line, when the "white" version of the drink chain was right opposite. I'm sure that that comment was partially in jest, but a part of it was sincere. So that got me started on how he continually refrains from doing what he wants because he's afraid to do something unusual. Inevitably, the conversation led to my leg hair, and how I should feel privileged as a female, because I can remove my body hair if I so choose, and society will accept that. But I don't (I'm lazy and I don't care), while he wishes to. I pointed out that a number of my male friends do anyway, a fact with which he dismissed with a wave of his hand. I then brought up the fact that you can be completely comfortable doing your own thing. To that, I got the response: "Well, it's okay for you, because you're weird."

I get that comment a lot. I'm talking at least a couple of times a day, in complete seriousness. Why? Because I speak my mind? Because I dress comfortably, and the way I want? Because I walk in a pattern on tiles? Dance and sing when impulse takes me? Wear bells? Speak in passive voice? Use all long vowels? Speak in third person? Think a lot about odd concepts? See things from a different angle? What? What is it? I'm serious, I don't get it.

I can't see why I'm exempt from the rules of society. I don't believe there is a "normal"- just varying shades of "weird". And if people are doing what they want, and it just happens to be in line with what we see as the norm, how is that different?

It bugs me a little when, say a stereotype does something out of the ordinary it's all shock, horror (keep in mind I'm talking about this being within a highschool), but if it's someone like me, it gets dismissed. I'm not saying that I want people to notice it, rather that I'd like for everyone to be able to behave how they wish (within the major rules of society. Things like dressing the way you want = good, but not if that involves not dressing (actually, I'd like that idea. Except for when warmth is needed) purely because most people would frown upon that. If societal values change dramatically soon... Well, we'll see...) and for others to simply see it as such.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

User avatar
Wanderingcowboy
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 9:11 am UTC
Location: Your mom

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Wanderingcowboy » Tue May 27, 2008 11:04 am UTC

Luthen wrote:Or Metal Gear?
BUM BUM BUM!!
>.>
...

@eternal luna:
Everyone chooses their priorities in life. In the end, they choose how they act, they try and choose what "reputation" they have. If people care about their reputations, then they'll have a nice, "safe" conservative reputation. If people, like you just want to have fun and do their own thing, then they'll get the "weird" reputation, but then basically a free pass to do whatever they want.

It was a girl kinda like that in high school who helped open me up to who I am today, and not caring about reputation. She would wear a bunny-hat or tail around school, big eskimo boots... and basically just be herself. I personally admired her for it. And now I can basically just do what I want, and people just chalk it up to me being "Green-o" (...that's my name. I am me. :P)

So, who knows? Maybe you're being an inspiration to someone else out there! Keep on having fun!
Randall on a skateboard!?
:mrgreen: <= This is my smiley. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My smiley is my best friend. It is my life. Without me, my smiley is useless. Without my smiley I am useless.

User avatar
michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing
Posts: 2353
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:21 am UTC
Location: Citizen of the World
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby michaelandjimi » Tue May 27, 2008 11:09 am UTC

Wanderingcowboy wrote:It was a girl kinda like that in high school who helped open me up to who I am today, and not caring about reputation. She would wear a bunny-hat or tail around school, big eskimo boots... and basically just be herself. I personally admired her for it. And now I can basically just do what I want, and people just chalk it up to me being "Green-o" (...that's my name. I am me. :P)
Bloody the same. It's gotten to the point where ridiculous things I do are blase, even when other people doing them get gasps and applause and whatnot.

Although I can make people laugh with my shenanigans.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

User avatar
the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Posts: 939
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:46 am UTC
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Re: Rant Thread

Postby the_bandersnatch » Tue May 27, 2008 3:34 pm UTC

Back to the ranting: one of my biggest ones is windows in Windows™ stealing focus when I'm working doing something else. Example: I'll start a program loading but know it'll take a few seconds, so switch back to writing an email or whatever, when the program that's loading suddenly steals focus and I end up hitting keys while in the new window, which invariably end up doing something stupid like cancelling Star Trek, or causing Opal Fruits to be renamed to Starburst. Aargh!

Design an operating system that doesn't let windows steal focus and I'll be your bitch forever. As long as I get to use the PC.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue May 27, 2008 3:55 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:What is wrong with people!!? Seriously, how is it possible for adults to feel that they have the right to take out their petty resentments towards a person on some random kid that's related to that person?

Spoilered for longness and stuff:
Spoiler:
Backstory: All my life I've been the one who was "different" in my hometown and my old class. I used to be a lot better at speaking with my fists than with words and very often I would have to because well, in tiny communities like my hometown, if you are looked at as "different" then you are free bait. I used to get into a lot of fights and there were a lot of people who hated me without ever letting me know exactly why. If I did something wrong then I was a horrid child that would never amount to anything, but if any of the other kids did anything to me it was "oh well, kids will be kids". There was especially one girl who I'd get in a lot of trouble with, she hated me , I don't know why, but she did, and she would do anything she could to make my life miserable. I moved away from that place when I was 16 and I haven't been back there since, except for 4 day trips around Christmas where I don't really deal with anyone who isn't family.

So last week I went back home on a little trip to see my family and play with my cousins (4 and 2 years old completely insane kiddies). My oldest cousin, 4 year old, had been drawing on a picture that she wanted to enter into a competition for her kindergarten and some of the lower classes at school, she really loves drawing and making things with her hands, so she was superexcited and had been working a lot on her picture. The "competition" (no real prize, no real competition, just kids getting to draw stuff and then hang it up in a gallery and show it off to their parents and relatives that drop by on the day of the competition, then everyone who participated gets a little prize and all is well) was for kids in the kindergarten and for first and second graders. My cousins parents had to be at work on the day of the competition, and my cousin was a bit sad since she'd be one of the few kids there with no relatives around, so I decided I'd go with her since I'm supposed to be her cool aunt and to cheer her up. So we get there, my cousin goes to hang up her picture and one of the ladies who are behind the competition takes the picture she's been drawing, tears it down and throws it in the garbage. This lady is the same girl I'd get into a lot of fights with when I was a kid. I ask her what the fuck she think she's doing and she answers me "this picture is of too poor quality for this competition, it's a mockery to what this is all about" and walks away with a smug look on her face. My cousin was now crying because the picture she was so proud of is being thrown in the garbage and a grown-up who will be her teacher in a few years is telling her that it's of "poor quality" and "a mockery", while looking smug and happy about it. I know that she is doing it to be a bitch against me, it's a contest for kindergarten kids, there is no such thing as poor quality, there are stick-men and doodles and red houses with suns above them, what the fuck can be mocking about a picture my cousin has drawn of herself? So I pick the picture out of the garbage, straighten it out and hang it up again, then I spend the rest of the time we're there standing in front of it ready to stop anyone who tries to take it down again, while trying to get my cousin to stop crying. We end up going home early to eat ice-cream since my cousin don't want to be there anymore. Now she has gone from loving to draw pictures and constantly drawing to refusing to even touch her pencils.

How is it possible to be so petty? In my opinion there is nothing lower than taking your resentments against people out on kids. My cousin has never done her any harm whatsoever and that bitch (pardon the language) still feels smug about hurting her like that. For getting a chance at getting back at me for some hatred that I don't even know what comes from (yes, I've even asked her straight out why she hates me so much, she just said "I don't hate you, you're just...special..."). I don't mind her putting up rumors about me behind my back, or all that shit she pulled when we were growing up, but she has gone too far now. Way, way, way too far. The worst thing however is that she is going to be my cousins teacher in a few years, she gets to control a part of her future and there is very little I can do about it.


Please tell me you complained to someone. I'm not a teacher, nor do I know any, but I'd think that's got to be something her superiors would want to know about. That's no way to treat a person (let alone a young child). Seems to me that could be a good way to get fired.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
saxything43
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:03 pm UTC
Location: The band room, probably.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby saxything43 » Tue May 27, 2008 4:12 pm UTC

Rant:

Why why why why why why WHY on earth would we continue to do stuff in AP classes after AP tests? I'm not in any of the classes because I actually want to learn stuff about those subjects, and the same applies to the entirety of the rest of the class (i've checked), so why do we continue to have knowledge pushed at us, or rather bad videos that are supposed to inform and intrigue but only ever succeed at putting us to sleep? If our teacher was actually teaching, that would be one thing. If we were actually learning, that would be another. But this endless stream of PBS videos about court cases we're already familiar with is unbearable. We already took and (hopefully) passed the AP test, what reason is there in pretending to teach now?!

Rant over.
This post brought you to by the number 42.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests