Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Von Haus

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Von Haus » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:58 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:I actually only eat turkey bacon. I don't really like pork bacon, because it is usually glazed with honey.

I am never going to understand why so many things in America come made extra extra sweet.

As for my actual rant. Yes I know I've just changed my course to a slightly different one with only one module different but why does that mean you have to remove all of my modules from Blackboard. WHY!!?? I need to check stuff before friday! Gah!
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

Kang

Postby Kang » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:02 pm UTC

Sandry wrote:On second thought, I think I'll just crack open this grapefruit.

You mean you will brutally murder that fine living being.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:09 pm UTC

Kang wrote:

I have just finished, yes!

*licks her fingers*

Delicious, that was. Actually, you should see the resultant carnage - I don't eat the skin on the sections (don't know why - weird habit), so I have this mass of grapefruit carcass detritus type thing. It's truly horrible. :D
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:14 pm UTC

Von Haus wrote:
Oregonaut wrote:As for my actual rant. Yes I know I've just changed my course to a slightly different one with only one module different but why does that mean you have to remove all of my modules from Blackboard. WHY!!?? I need to check stuff before friday! Gah!

I hate Blackboard. It is just the worst.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:14 pm UTC

OH THE HUGE MANATEE!
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:16 pm UTC

So apprently I have great ears or something. The three freaking people I walked past to answer the door at work did not hear the doorbell. This is not a rare occassion.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:24 pm UTC

micco wrote:Oh great, this is exactly what we need. Fresh powder snow on top of ice.
Yup, sounds about right, had to get my landlord to tug me out of the snowy-icy trap of doom that was my driveway. Oddly enough, it was fine this morning, but after the sun melted it a bit... fuckkkkk.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:17 am UTC

It's not at all okay for a professor to give no guidelines, instructions or so much as comment on the format of an essay and then deduct points when I use the wrong one (correctly).
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:16 am UTC

Mobile phone users : here's a thought. To the best of my knowledge no phone yet includes a 'protective force field' app. So, if you step out into the road without looking, straight into the path of a cyclist who is 5 feet from you but, I accept, perhaps not quite as noisy as a harley with the silencer shot, and said cyclist is not able to stop or swerve due to inclement road conditions and therefore hits you, it's going to hurt.

So, here's a polite suggestion. I know you are wrapped up in your vitally important call, but before walking in the road, USE YOUR EYES AND LOOK WHERE YOU ARE FUCKING GOING!
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:56 am UTC

Rant: I've got an "Intellectual Property Right" class next semester. They put online the slides for the first lesson. This will not be fun.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:33 pm UTC

I have my yearly dental appointment this month. It's going to be another hour of a dental hygienist cleaning my teeth and scorning me for my lazy dental hygiene habits, followed by a dentist probably telling me that yet again, I need to get a filling. Seriously, I think they just like to drill holes in my teeth for practice.

Ugh. Why must I be so lazy when it comes to something as simple as dental hygiene?
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:01 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I have my yearly dental appointment this month. It's going to be another hour of a dental hygienist cleaning my teeth and scorning me for my lazy dental hygiene habits, followed by a dentist probably telling me that yet again, I need to get a filling. Seriously, I think they just like to drill holes in my teeth for practice.

Ugh. Why must I be so lazy when it comes to something as simple as dental hygiene?

Bad Airman. No cookie for Airman. Brush the teeth.

The EGE wrote:

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:02 pm UTC

Arrrrg. I hate exams, tests, quizzes, everything of that sort. Seriously just ARRRGGGG. My brain does not work in this way!
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:08 pm UTC

You should become a secret agent.

"Which government are you working for?"

"Errrrr"

"Which government!" *slap*

"Arrrrgh!"

"Grrrr!"

"Arrrrrgh!"
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:23 pm UTC

Say "arrgh" one more goddamn time!
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:30 pm UTC

I am/was supposed to have a phone interview this morning with a university. Scheduled for 8am, and they even called yesterday to confirm that. It's currently 8:30 and no call... what's up with that?
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:31 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:I am/was supposed to have a phone interview this morning with a university. Scheduled for 8am, and they even called yesterday to confirm that. It's currently 8:30 and no call... what's up with that?

What timezone?

The EGE wrote:

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:38 pm UTC

They're eastern time, I'm pacific time. But they even mentioned this when they confirmed. "...interview scheduled for 11am. That's eastern time, so 8am pacific time..."
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:40 pm UTC

Yeah, they suck. I was hoping, for you, that it was a simple oversight on their part.

The EGE wrote:

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:47 pm UTC

I just called their office of admissions to see what happened. I got an automated message saying that their offices would be opening later than usual today. But it also said that any interviews scheduled for 10 or 11 would become phone interviews. Seeing as how mine was already one, I don't see why they didn't call me. I suppose it's possible they're now too busy since all their physical interviews became phone ones? Although really, it's the same number of people interviewing us either way, it doesn't really take special skills to call someone instead.

(Avatar by Sungura)

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:53 pm UTC

Today I had my 3rd interview out of 5 (!!!!!) for a goddamn software developer job. The only job I heard of having more interviews is chief local (Israel) attorney for Google, which was 6. Apparently it's an American company that has a dev center here. Is this considered normal for you United Statesians?
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

That depends on the type of job, honestly.

The EGE wrote:

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:02 pm UTC

Nothing too special, just C# developer job for some video-device-controlling system. Over here, anything over 2 is considered intensive, and 5 is un fucking heard of.

I hope it goes well :)
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:05 pm UTC

I'll cross my fingers for you.

I had four interviews for a job in the Portland area, but it was for an executive level position. I ended up losing out on the job by a razor thin margin, based on their point system.

The EGE wrote:

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:39 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:I just called their office of admissions to see what happened. I got an automated message saying that their offices would be opening later than usual today. But it also said that any interviews scheduled for 10 or 11 would become phone interviews. Seeing as how mine was already one, I don't see why they didn't call me. I suppose it's possible they're now too busy since all their physical interviews became phone ones? Although really, it's the same number of people interviewing us either way, it doesn't really take special skills to call someone instead.

That sounds frustrating. On the other hand, I'm wondering if the automated message is perfectly accurate. Unless they're in some part of EST that didn't get bombarded by this weather (which I'm not sure there is any applicable part), they may be short of people, power or phone lines.

Today I was unable to communicate to anyone that our major systems were down until hours later because email was also down. So y'know. *shrug*
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:10 pm UTC

Number of interviews really depends on the job, but more than three seems excessive. In engineering I have seen day long interviews though. It usually involves shipping you around between departments to see how you would fit in, etc. At my company we usually start with a quick phone discussion, then formal interview. Based on that, we either hire, pass, or rarely have a third interview.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:31 pm UTC

I really need to send my AP scores to this college, but I don't know my AP number. You have to call the College Board place to confirm your identity if you want to find out your number again, but their hotline shuts down at 4 pm EST, which is 1 pm here, and I'm in class from 10 am till 1 pm, and I always forget to do it in the morning because I'm preoccupied with other stuff. Humph.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:39 am UTC

Sandry wrote:
e^iπ+1=0 wrote:I just called their office of admissions to see what happened. I got an automated message saying that their offices would be opening later than usual today. But it also said that any interviews scheduled for 10 or 11 would become phone interviews. Seeing as how mine was already one, I don't see why they didn't call me. I suppose it's possible they're now too busy since all their physical interviews became phone ones? Although really, it's the same number of people interviewing us either way, it doesn't really take special skills to call someone instead.

That sounds frustrating. On the other hand, I'm wondering if the automated message is perfectly accurate. Unless they're in some part of EST that didn't get bombarded by this weather (which I'm not sure there is any applicable part), they may be short of people, power or phone lines.

Today I was unable to communicate to anyone that our major systems were down until hours later because email was also down. So y'know. *shrug*

Yeah, later on the message was changed to saying that they were closed for weather. But it still said that interviews would just be changed to phone interviews, not that they would be canceled.

In any case, the deadline for interviewing isn't for about a month and it's a safety school besides. Suppose I'll just have to reschedule. :roll:

(Avatar by Sungura)

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:31 am UTC

Hey Handtec, fuck you. You took my money, then learnt that the item I'd pre-ordered was discontinued, then failed to tell me until I got impatient and asked for an ETA, by which time the exchange rate has changed and my full refund has left me out of pocket (and you've made a bunch of interest by holding my money).

Also fuck Samsung for advertising such an awesome product and then deciding to just not make it after all.

Now I need to buy a bluetooth headset, which means scouring product review pages. I hate that.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:33 am UTC

Oregonaut wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:I have my yearly dental appointment this month. It's going to be another hour of a dental hygienist cleaning my teeth and scorning me for my lazy dental hygiene habits, followed by a dentist probably telling me that yet again, I need to get a filling. Seriously, I think they just like to drill holes in my teeth for practice.

Bad Airman. No cookie for Airman. Brush the teeth.

But the cookies are so good!
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:50 am UTC

I just never floss.
uhhhh fuck.

mmark9094

Postby mmark9094 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:37 am UTC

I'm sick of the snow.

Nuff said.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:18 am UTC

Minor rant: Today was the last Asterix night. I have now watched all six animated Asterix films (OK, six original animated Asterix films, sod "Asterix and the Vikings") with this group of friends and I'm kinda worried that this will be the last film night we have. Even though we see each other around a lot and we've decided to watch other films and such.

Medium rant: Fucking mood swings! The only thing worse than feeling like shit is feeling like shit when you were actually really happy just five minutes ago.

Major rant: (Spoilered for length and sheer amount of things I'm bitching about)
Spoiler:
What the hell? Why am I looking after everybody? I'm clearly the wrong person because 1: my advice is shit and I don't know how to deal with most situations (and I make a point of telling people this) and 2: I'm not in a good mental state right now and I'm finding it hard enough to look after myself, let alone others. Seriously though, the last two days have been shit: I wake up at 9:00 (not too early, but bear with me) after tossing and turning all night. I go to lectures I don't understand, I go to a meeting to see how people can help my friends who are facing disciplinary actions by the uni for protesting on campus then getting beaten up by security (OK, to be fair I volunteered for this and I didn't have much responsibility here). Then I have to go home, eat, shower and get changed so I can go round to a friend's to help console him about his break-up with his girlfriend on Sunday. When I get home I see my housemate is in a bad state (same problems as me, but much more effective and frequent). To avoid leaving her on her own and to get her in company of our friends as soon as possible, I have to forego dinner and shower and change in five minutes flat. The night seems to go better from there and I meet my other housemates there who know the... saddened housemate better and agree to look after her. So I even manage to go back to a friend's house for a while and have fun there before going back to mine. After half an hour of blissful sleep I am woken up by another housemate. With a bleeding head. He was mugged and was bleeding quite a lot (although he was still quite coherent). A phone call to the emergency services and a bit of a wait later, I manage to get him in an ambulance and I accompany him to the hospital. He gets checked out and is fine, just a mild concussion and the bleeding is stopped with a bit of surgical glue. I get home at 6:00. I haven't slept for 21 hours and even that sleep wasn't very good. I go to bed and wake up at 11:10. I've missed my only two lectures that day. I then have to go and help cheer up my friends who've just had their disciplinaries (most of them were fine, but it's looking bad for a couple of them). I then have to go to town to buy my Mum's birthday present, something I'd agreed to go half on with my brother. I phone him first to check that he's still up for it and, lo and behold, he's got "a little less cash" than he thought. Instead of the nice bracelet with all the trimmings and the charms my Mum would really like, I can only afford the bog standard bracelet and hope she's still wearing it by Christmas so I can get the extras for her then. Home again and to look after my mugged housemate and to see if I can at least help make the down-in-the-dumps one's life easier. Then it's a film night (the aforementioned last Asterix) which helps cheering me up. Riiight up to the point where one of my friends who I... let's say "adore deeply", started talking about her new boyfriend and didn't stop texting him all night. Aaargh! My mood while this was going on: Pretty bad myself, with my mood flipping between angry, morose and despairing with he occasional bout of happiness that's too brief to enjoy but long enough to highlight the... badness of the other feelings. Like I said: Aaargh!
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:18 am UTC

Holy shit dude. *Hugs*

Also; Asterix: Mission Cleopatre (live action) kicks the animated films' collective ass. Much like Asterix could himself.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:47 am UTC

Holy shit indeed. Hang in there, even if times are bad and some days are pure evil crap. We all get that sometimes. Through all the bad shit you seem to carry on being very caring and involved, and that's saying a lot.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:56 am UTC

theGoldenCalf; wrote:Today I had my 3rd interview out of 5 (!!!!!) for a goddamn software developer job. The only job I heard of having more interviews is chief local (Israel) attorney for Google, which was 6. Apparently it's an American company that has a dev center here. Is this considered normal for you United Statesians?

The job I have now required four stages - online testing, phone interview, group interview/evaluation then a panel interview - and it's a local branch of a major US company, so...I guess? I don't know if the US headquarters actually imposes the same thing, HR departments tend to vary wildly by country.

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:06 am UTC

Well at least you ended up getting the job :)

The 3rd interview went OK-ish (i think), while the first two went pretty swell. Which means they might end up inviting me to the 4th and 5th interview and then dump my ass. bahGAH! it's a really sweet job..
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:17 am UTC

Sandry wrote:
Kang wrote:

I have just finished, yes!

*licks her fingers*

Delicious, that was. Actually, you should see the resultant carnage - I don't eat the skin on the sections (don't know why - weird habit), so I have this mass of grapefruit carcass detritus type thing. It's truly horrible. :D
That's exactly how I eat it too. First, peel, then eat the sections, ignoring the dividers, leaving a complete mess.
bigglesworth wrote:You should become a secret agent.

"Which government are you working for?"

"Errrrr"

"Which government!" *slap*

"Arrrrgh!"

"Grrrr!"

"Arrrrrgh!"

Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:40 am UTC

Dammit, I need a couple of questions answered, but unfortunately they are both of the nature that everyone and their brother thinks they are fucking geniuses on the subject because they saw it in a fucking video game or fucking movie, so there is considerably more chaff than wheat in my googling. And I don't really know where to begin to do legit research on this topic. I think I'm just gonna go with my gut on this one.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Link

Postby Link » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:09 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Dammit, I need a couple of questions answered, but unfortunately they are both of the nature that everyone and their brother thinks they are fucking geniuses on the subject because they saw it in a fucking video game or fucking movie, so there is considerably more chaff than wheat in my googling. And I don't really know where to begin to do legit research on this topic. I think I'm just gonna go with my gut on this one.

Have you tried asking on Wikipedia's Reference Desk? Many people there are quite good at finding reliable references when they give an answer, especially if you specify that reliable sources are important to you.

Return to “General”