Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Роберт

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Роберт » Wed May 23, 2012 10:09 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:Oh come on. You can also extend that line of reasoning downward, you know? (Not especially you Bluebambue, but in general) I once bashed in a rabbit's head, because it had myxomatosis or something, it had the eyes rotting in the sockets. Does that make me bad? Or how about rats that spread diseases? And when you guys have tapeworms, you don't kill them either? They're alive as well. Or mosquitoes or wasps. You never swat those either?
Do you think euthanasia and lethal self-defense are wrong?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

rat4000
r/ratsgonewild

Postby rat4000 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:22 pm UTC

If intuition were a good basis for morality, that question would be relevant.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Wed May 23, 2012 10:25 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:
bluebambue wrote:
Menacing Spike wrote:
Роберт wrote:Replace "animal" with "human child".

I still don't see it.
Parents should be allowed to kill their grown children?

Oh come on. You can also extend that line of reasoning downward, you know? (Not especially you Bluebambue, but in general) I once bashed in a rabbit's head, because it had myxomatosis or something, it had the eyes rotting in the sockets. Does that make me bad? Or how about rats that spread diseases? And when you guys have tapeworms, you don't kill them either? They're alive as well. Or mosquitoes or wasps. You never swat those either?

SlyReaper, can't you call the electricity company and have them check out the meter for you? Or maybe one of your neighbours is stealing power from you? :(
I was just trying to help Menacing Spike see Роберт's point, I don't actually agree with it. Now that I look at it again I may have misread where Menacing Spike was missing stuff.

The comparison to human children in this case is irrelevant for me due to distinctions I draw in between animals and humans.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed May 23, 2012 10:40 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
ArgonV wrote:Oh come on. You can also extend that line of reasoning downward, you know? (Not especially you Bluebambue, but in general) I once bashed in a rabbit's head, because it had myxomatosis or something, it had the eyes rotting in the sockets. Does that make me bad? Or how about rats that spread diseases? And when you guys have tapeworms, you don't kill them either? They're alive as well. Or mosquitoes or wasps. You never swat those either?
Do you think euthanasia and lethal self-defense are wrong?

Euthanasia should be a basic human right, if you ask me. I'm glad my mother and one of my grandmothers had the chance to end their lives with a modicum of dignity, while they could still talk and move around somewhat, instead of the bedridden husk my granddad died as.

Lethal self-defence depends wholly upon the circumstances. There are too many nuances to that to get into here, but I can imagine situations where I would have no problem with lethal self-defence.

How is this relevant?

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:48 pm UTC

rat4000 wrote:If intuition were a good basis for morality, that question would be relevant.

Is there a such thing as a "good" or "bad" basis of morality?
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Wed May 23, 2012 10:51 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:Is there a such thing as a "good" or "bad" basis of morality?
I would say that books that have contradictions are a bad basis for morality.

rat4000
r/ratsgonewild

Postby rat4000 » Wed May 23, 2012 11:19 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:
rat4000 wrote:If intuition were a good basis for morality, that question would be relevant.

Is there a such thing as a "good" or "bad" basis of morality?
Morality is normative statements, so a good basis for morality is one that gets you normativity. Intuition doesn't, because there is no reason I should do what you think is right.

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Wed May 23, 2012 11:47 pm UTC

Mosquitoes don't really have the same level of sentience as, say, cows do.
Besides, I don't kill mosquitoes for fun or pleasure, I do it because I don't want to get bit by them. The motivation is different: pleasure (taste of meat) vs. prevention of pain (mosquito bite).

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu May 24, 2012 1:47 am UTC

broken_escalator wrote:
roband wrote:However, if meat rejection was a massive thing, I'm fairly sure we would be able to find research.

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of abscence! (warning: cursing in video)

No. No. The absence of evidence is not the proof of absence. The absence of evidence is absolutely evidence of absence. Because logic.

If P(meat rejection being a massive thing | research supporting it) > P(meat rejection being a massive thing), then by definition P(meat rejection being a massive thing) > P(meat rejection being a massive thing| ~research supporting it). It's not very strong evidence, but still evidence.

You may have been kidding, but this is the rant thread and I like rant about these things.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu May 24, 2012 11:22 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:
bluebambue wrote:
Menacing Spike wrote:
Роберт wrote:Replace "animal" with "human child".

I still don't see it.
Parents should be allowed to kill their grown children?

Oh come on. You can also extend that line of reasoning downward, you know? (Not especially you Bluebambue, but in general) I once bashed in a rabbit's head, because it had myxomatosis or something, it had the eyes rotting in the sockets. Does that make me bad? Or how about rats that spread diseases? And when you guys have tapeworms, you don't kill them either? They're alive as well. Or mosquitoes or wasps. You never swat those either?

SlyReaper, can't you call the electricity company and have them check out the meter for you? Or maybe one of your neighbours is stealing power from you? :(

First off: No, I don't kill mosquitoes or wasps or flies or spiders or anything else if I can help it.

Secondly: I draw the line at self-preservation. Yes, if I have a tapeworm, I'm going to get rid of it, because I value my life over its. However, I have no need whatsoever to kill animals for food. I've survived perfectly fine for ~8 years without meat.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu May 24, 2012 12:06 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:You may have been kidding, but this is the rant thread and I like rant about these things.

I'm always super deadly serious when I link to a cartoon. :wink:

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu May 24, 2012 3:30 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:So my electricity providers are going up up my electricity bill from £60 per month to £110 per month.

What the shitting fuck? I live alone, and I'm usually out at work. There is no way I can possibly be using that much leccy. My meter does roughly agree with their last reading, so I guess the meter must be faulty. Does anyone know how I can prove that?
So is the kWh used nearly doubled, or just the cost?

Have you made any changes to devices in your apt/house in the past month? AC on more often? Computer not sleeping regularly?
emceng wrote:Note, you'd have to unplug everything. Water softener, water heater if it's electric, stove, etc.
Wouldn't it be easier to just flip all the circuit breakers? :P

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu May 24, 2012 6:40 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:First off: No, I don't kill mosquitoes or wasps or flies or spiders or anything else if I can help it.

Secondly: I draw the line at self-preservation. Yes, if I have a tapeworm, I'm going to get rid of it, because I value my life over its. However, I have no need whatsoever to kill animals for food. I've survived perfectly fine for ~8 years without meat.

In other words, if they are violating your bodily autonomy by getting in your intestines and stealing your food, your find with stopping that. Sounds fair.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Setia

Postby Setia » Thu May 24, 2012 7:14 pm UTC

Out of curiosity, how do some of the vegetarians in this thread justify not conforming to veganism?

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Thu May 24, 2012 7:19 pm UTC

Because eating a chicken's egg is not the same as eating its leg?
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu May 24, 2012 7:19 pm UTC

Cheese is a cruel and powerful temptress.
Spoiler:

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Thu May 24, 2012 7:46 pm UTC

A better question is, how do people who don't pirate music justify using take a penny, leave a penny systems?

Which is to say that "people who do X" doesn't biject to "people who do X because Y". It turns out that questions can be wrong.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu May 24, 2012 7:48 pm UTC

Setia wrote:Out of curiosity, how do some of the vegetarians in this thread justify not conforming to veganism?

Out of curiosity, how can you type coherent sentences while incapable of figuring something that simple out?

Would you be against using a wig made with real human hair when synthetic hair is available? No, that's fine.

Would you be against buying and eating human meat at the grocery store when other food is available? Yes, that's messed up.

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:56 pm UTC

Setia wrote:Out of curiosity, how do some of the vegetarians in this thread justify not conforming to veganism?

my desire to eat meat < my moral opposition to factory farming < my desire to eat cheese and ice cream

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

roband

Postby roband » Thu May 24, 2012 8:04 pm UTC

There are so many facets to the meat eater -> vegetarian -> vegan thing. I wouldn't say it's the same as sexuality, but it's probably comparable.

My gf eats meat, but won't eat Danish bacon because of the way (it's been reported at least) that pigs are treated there, compared to in the UK. She will only eat free-range chicken and eggs laid by free range chickens. Happy eggs, they're called.

So basically, people's morals give them no-end of different reasons and levels of what they will or will not eat.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu May 24, 2012 8:06 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:my desire to eat meat < my moral opposition to factory farming < my desire to eat cheese and ice cream

I had dairy-free coconut/chocolate ice cream when I was in Boston and it was pretty delicious. Have you tried that? The ice cream I mean, not Boston.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Thu May 24, 2012 8:08 pm UTC

My sister-in-law won't eat any meat from pigs, because she likes pigs. It's as simple as that. I don't think it's a moral thing or anything, she just thinks they're cute.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

roband

Postby roband » Thu May 24, 2012 8:12 pm UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:My sister-in-law won't eat any meat from pigs, because she likes pigs. It's as simple as that. I don't think it's a moral thing or anything, she just thinks they're cute.

Oh yeah, my gf is like this too. She won't eat duck or lamb.

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:15 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:
setzer777 wrote:my desire to eat meat < my moral opposition to factory farming < my desire to eat cheese and ice cream

I had dairy-free coconut/chocolate ice cream when I was in Boston and it was pretty delicious. Have you tried that? The ice cream I mean, not Boston.

Well, ice cream is secondary to the cheese thing. I *really* like cheese (the fact that most commercial cheese isn't even vegetarian doesn't stop me).

I do go free range for eggs, but I've read that it's pretty questionable how much more humane it really is (from what I understand their lives are still 99% shit). But I tend to think that it's better to do what little you're willing/able to rather than take an all-or-nothing attitude regarding things like that. I don't understand the argument of "if you don't go all the way you shouldn't do it at all".

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu May 24, 2012 8:15 pm UTC

That's it guys! I've had it!

This is a rant thread! A RAAAANT THREEEAAAAD! You want to talk vegetarianism, go to serious business! I'm so mad I can't think straight! YARRRGLE!

Every time I'm like "I wonder if anyone is ranting about something interesting", I get on here only to find such intellectual gems as:
roband wrote:There are so many facets to the meat eater -> vegetarian -> vegan thing. I wouldn't say it's the same as sexuality, but it's probably comparable.
Shivahn wrote:Which is to say that "people who do X" doesn't biject to "people who do X because Y". It turns out that questions can be wrong.
Magnanimous wrote:If P(meat rejection being a massive thing | research supporting it) > P(meat rejection being a massive thing), then by definition P(meat rejection being a massive thing) > P(meat rejection being a massive thing| ~research supporting it). It's not very strong evidence, but still evidence.

You call those rants?!? I call them SERIOUS BUSINESSES! They don't belong! GTFO! If I want to think, I'll frequent another topic!

Time to call in the modly backup:
SecondTalon wrote:Because shut your fucking mouth?

That's.. really the simplest, easiest, most elegant, most to the point and direct way I can distill all the Pro and Anti Animal Death For Food arguments. Shut your fucking mouth. Eat a cow. Or don't. Just shut the fucking fuck up about it. Forever.

Yes. I'm completely serious. Shut the fuck up about dietary choices. Forever.
-Adam

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:18 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:Time to call in the modly backup:
SexyTalon wrote:Because shut your fucking mouth?

That's.. really the simplest, easiest, most elegant, most to the point and direct way I can distill all the Pro and Anti Animal Death For Food arguments. Shut your fucking mouth. Eat a cow. Or don't. Just shut the fucking fuck up about it. Forever.

Please, you think you can pull one over us? You know that mods are mere mortals when they're using black text...

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu May 24, 2012 8:35 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:That's it guys! I've had it![...]
Actually, that was a pretty fun rant. See? It was productive.

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Thu May 24, 2012 8:37 pm UTC

Wow, this thread has turned into Moralizing Asshole Central.

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:40 pm UTC

gorcee wrote:Wow, this thread has turned into Moralizing Asshole Central.

Hm, acronym for that is MAC. Coincidence?

Edit for an actual rant:

What inspires some old men to be creepy fuckers? I'm in Randall's parking lot with my gf (who is 21), and this guy in his late fifties/early sixties just walks up to us and says "Are you two brother and sister?" (we look nothing alike). When we say that we're dating first he asks if our parents approve (wtf?), and then he says to me "you have a beautiful girlfriend" and introduces himself to her and shakes her hand. We left right after that.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Thu May 24, 2012 8:51 pm UTC

Fuck you.

Burning the things I gave you, and texting me to tell me what a cunt I am, and that you've burned them.

Fuck you so much. Fuck.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Thu May 24, 2012 9:03 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:
gorcee wrote:Wow, this thread has turned into Moralizing Asshole Central.

Hm, acronym for that is MAC. Coincidence?

Almost certainly, since I have no idea what the link would be...

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu May 24, 2012 9:12 pm UTC

So, you know how, when you Google a technical problem, you are likely to find a thread on a forum of someone having the same problem, and the question isn't answered?

Well it's quite a lot worse when the only reply to the thread is made by the administrator of the forum, and says "See that search link? try using it." Fuck you administrator. Not only is searching not that easy, it's also not easy BECAUSE OF YOU.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Thu May 24, 2012 10:53 pm UTC

My sister-in-law won't eat any meat from pigs, because she likes pigs. It's as simple as that. I don't think it's a moral thing or anything, she just thinks they're cute.

I'd say it is a moral thing, just that it's not explicitly stated. She believes it is not moral to eat what she believes is cute.

As we're speaking real ranty rants, here's my 5 cents:
I'm not able to learn something that took most of my colleagues only four days to learn for maximum grade. I wish I could get it over with already, I'm getting sick and tired of not being to comprehend it as quick as I believed I would (hearing all their stories). It's been over a week and I ain't even half-way there yet. :roll:

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Thu May 24, 2012 11:09 pm UTC

PerchloricAcid wrote:

I'd say it is a moral thing, just that it's not explicitly stated. She believes it is not moral to eat what she believes is cute.

I guess. I meant, like, it's not 'pigs are so intelligent, it would be wrong to eat them' but 'pigs are so cute, I don't want to eat them'.
Anyway, semantics I guess.

PANT THREAD: needs more panting.
My brain has decided to dwell on my various insecurities tonight. Which makes focussing on work actually easier, since it (work) distracts me from it (dwelling on insecurities), but I'm gonna be all sorts of moody when I'm done.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 24, 2012 11:40 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:
Adam H wrote:Time to call in the modly backup:
SexyTalon wrote:Because shut your fucking mouth?

Please, you think you can pull one over us? You know that mods are mere mortals when they're using black text...

<3
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri May 25, 2012 4:06 am UTC

If red text is for mods what does blue text mean?

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri May 25, 2012 4:12 am UTC

"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Fri May 25, 2012 6:01 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:If red text is for mods what does blue text mean?
Represents conjecture. Accepts it as truth, barring a conflicting higher color of truth (generally red). Example with a missing cupcake during a school’s lunch period:

- Stole the cupcake after watching the owner leave. Ate it. Hid the evidence.
(Red) Took the cupcake. Never consumed it.
- Gave the cupcake to a person X, then.
(Red) Never gave it or sold it to any person after taking it.
- Forgot the cupcake’s hiding place after its theft.
(Red) Remembers exactly where it was placed.
- Introduces a person Y. Removed it from its hiding place to another location, unbeknownst to the culprit.
(Red) Expected the cupcake’s removal. Witnessed it, in fact. Did not know person Y’s name.
- Gave it to person Y indirectly.
(Red) Did you forget? Never gave it or sold it to any person after taking it.

(The real truth) Imagined a cafeteria. Received a call from a teacher to meet with them. Left the table. Did not return. Neared the end of the lunch period. Took the cupcake without the owner’s permission. Threw it into the trash (thus, relinquishing ownership). Witnessed some unknown custodian remove said trash.

Beware your blue truths. Appeared to be a thief. Chose not to dispute it with red. Became true. (May have changed with further questioning, however. Is not easy to write without revealing too much.)
[/umineko lesson]
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri May 25, 2012 7:37 am UTC

It means cocks, of course. Thrice.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Fri May 25, 2012 5:42 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:

It means cocks, of course. Thrice.

If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Return to “General”