Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lucrezaborgia

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby lucrezaborgia » Sat May 26, 2012 8:51 am UTC

Even though I've worked many a retail job over my life, I still am continually surprised by how soul-sucking the life of a Walmart employee is. I don't think I've ever hated a job as much as I do now and the customers are actually the nicest people there. Between the girls crying in the breakroom and being the only female unloader, it SUCKS!!!

emceng

Postby emceng » Sat May 26, 2012 4:56 pm UTC

2 freaking weeks? They had to stretch the Stanley Cup Finals out two freaking week? I know it's the finals, but geez. 2 days between games? What the hell.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Sun May 27, 2012 9:28 pm UTC

Warning: childishness ahead.
I hate arguing with my friends but this guy won't stop being wrong!

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Sun May 27, 2012 11:16 pm UTC

RollingHead wrote:Warning: childishness ahead.
I hate arguing with my friends but this guy won't stop being wrong!

Warning: unsolicited advice.
Sometimes it is okay to accept that people are wrong.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Mon May 28, 2012 4:48 am UTC

Here's a rant that's more of a question.

I accidentally liked the comment of a person with whom I wish to never ever communicate again (I was reading somebody else's status and the person left a comment on which I accidentally clicked like while scrolling). I unliked it immediately and then blocked the person.

Will the person get a notification saying "XY liked your comment" or does the little red notification disappear after I'd unliked it?
I'm hoping the person doesn't find out (they would think I'm fucking around with them by liking and then unliking which may lead to possible contact and I don't really want to go down that road), provided they weren't online on Facebook during the moment when I liked it (I highly doubt, it's 6:30AM here) and that they don't get e-mail notifications about likes (is that even possible?).
:(

I'm starting to get good at finding new and creative ways of possibly fucking my life up. :roll:

edit:
googling the thing doesn't help, some say "yes", while the others say "no".

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Mon May 28, 2012 5:00 am UTC

I was going to jump into the vegetarian discussion from 4 pages ago, but I missed it. Why can't I ever keep up with threads!?
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon May 28, 2012 10:48 am UTC

PerchloricAcid wrote:Will the person get a notification saying "XY liked your comment" or does the little red notification disappear after I'd unliked it?
In my experience, they'll get one if they were online at that time. Otherwise, they either won't get anything, or they'll have an extra notification that will cease to exist as soon as they click on the globe icon.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Mon May 28, 2012 1:51 pm UTC

@brakos82: Well, seems that we could start a new thread for that specific topic :)

@bigglesworth: Thank you very much! That sounds very comforting, I hope it's true.

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Mon May 28, 2012 2:25 pm UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:Warning: unsolicited advice.
Sometimes it is okay to accept that people are wrong.

I know, I was just venting some frustration. It is the rant thread after all... Wait, it's the pant thread? Still good, I just ripped a massive hole in the seat of some nice jeans.

roband

Postby roband » Mon May 28, 2012 2:29 pm UTC

How come, if money doesn't make people happy, a lack of it is causing me so much fucking stress?

If I had more money, I'd be happier.
I think it's lies spread by rich people to try and keep those with less money happy.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon May 28, 2012 2:33 pm UTC

Pet peeve: people who don't see the difference between a one-sided and a double-sided implication.

"Money doesn't make happy" --> "Money is not a sufficient cause for happiness"

That doesn't mean that money is not a necessary cause for happiness, or in the very least makes it easier to attain.

/pet peeve
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

roband

Postby roband » Mon May 28, 2012 2:40 pm UTC

I was being deliberately facetious.

It was just a general rant about not having enough money, in truth.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon May 28, 2012 2:56 pm UTC

Mine wasn't purely focused on you, or on the "money doesn't make happiness" thing, either. It truly annoys me how few people know that difference.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

wam

Postby wam » Mon May 28, 2012 3:44 pm UTC

The phrasing I have always like is "money makes happiness easier to achieve". As in money will allow you to do the things that make you happy.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

roband

Postby roband » Mon May 28, 2012 3:45 pm UTC

Like have a car which can legally be on the road. That's my current issue.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon May 28, 2012 5:25 pm UTC

And once it is road-legal, it'll continue to hoover up money in road tax, insurance, MOT, petrol tax, VAT on petrol, VAT on the petrol tax, etc...

Yo dawg, I heard you like tax...
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

roband

Postby roband » Mon May 28, 2012 5:40 pm UTC

Just found out how much it's gonna cost to repair.

Oh. Dear. Bye bye car. Hello "how the fuck do I get to work now?"

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue May 29, 2012 2:14 am UTC

I'm really beginning to dislike the hype all these "antivirus" companies bring along.

Hot news! "Incredibly sophisticated cyber war tool unveiled today, hitting the Middle East!"

Flame, an EXTREMELY COMPLEX virus attacking the MIDDLE EAST. It is linked to the STUXNET VIRUS which attacked IRANIAN NUCLEAR SYSTEMS. It REDEFINES THE NOTION OF CYBERWAR.

Flame is related to stuxnet because of ties to the middle east. Flame is a worm that opens a backdoor to a computer and steals audio, screenshots and messages. It has nothing to do with Stuxnet, which aimed at SCADA systems. Flame is much larger and was probably created by different parties. Therefore, there's really no link what-so-ever.

And then to visit the security blog the article links to...

And I quote:

Flame shares many characteristics with notorious cyber weapons Duqu and Stuxnet: while its features are different, the geography and careful targeting of attacks coupled with the usage of specific software vulnerabilities seems to put it alongside those familiar ‘super-weapons’ currently deployed in the Middle East by unknown perpetrators.

So yeah, just the same geography. It doesn't even use the same vulnerabilities, just that it uses "specific" ones, like every other thingy like them. Of course, they still happily consider it a superweapon and advanced threat.

Luckily, later on, it also mentions why it's so "sophisticated":

First of all, Flame is a huge package of modules comprising almost 20 MB in size when fully deployed. Because of this, it is an extremely difficult piece of malware to analyze. The reason why Flame is so big is because it includes many different libraries, such as for compression (zlib, libbz2, ppmd) and database manipulation (sqlite3), together with a LUA virtual machine.

Overall, we can say Flame is one of the most complex threats ever discovered.

Sophisticated because it uses and carries a ton of libraries.

It does manage to mention my concern under the section "How is this different or more sophisticated than any other backdoor trojan?"

First of all, usage of LUA in malware is uncommon. The same goes for the rather large size of this attack toolkit. Generally, modern malware is small and written in really compact programming languages, which make it easy to hide. The practice of concealment through large amounts of code is one of the specific new features in Flame.

The recording of audio data from the internal microphone is also rather new. Of course, other malware exists which can record audio, but key here is Flame’s completeness - the ability to steal data in so many different ways.

So the only reason it's so sophisticated is really because it throws in a bunch of different libraries and methods into one payload. WE SHOULD ALL BE SCARED PANTLESS!

I would care less if I didn't have a bunch of people call me today asking if they need to buy a new antivirus to protect against this.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue May 29, 2012 2:20 am UTC

Steax wrote:WE SHOULD ALL BE SCARED PANTLESS!

WHAT IF WE'RE NOT ALREADY WEARING PANTS?
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Tue May 29, 2012 2:28 am UTC

First of all, Flame is a huge package of modules comprising almost 20 MB in size when fully deployed. Because of this, it is an extremely difficult piece of malware to analyze. The reason why Flame is so big is because it includes many different libraries, such as for compression (zlib, libbz2, ppmd) and database manipulation (sqlite3), together with a LUA virtual machine.

Forgive my ignorance, but does that actually make it harder to analyze? Presumably the analyist already knows what zlib, libz2, sqlite3 and the LVM look like. Can't she just look at the code that isn't any of those things?

Also, isn't Lua an interpreted language? Doesn't that mean that the code is on there in plaintext? Is this acutally kind of an amateurish virus?
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue May 29, 2012 2:32 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:

GET SOME PANTS AND SCARE THEM OFF!

ahammel wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but does that actually make it harder to analyze? Presumably the analyist already knows what zlib, libz2, sqlite3 and the LVM look like. Can't she just look at the code that isn't any of those things?

Also, isn't Lua an interpreted language? Doesn't that mean that the code is on there in plaintext? Is this acutally kind of an amateurish virus?

To me it actually comes across as something horribly built, like it was a mash of things cobbled together to work.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Tue May 29, 2012 3:12 am UTC

Steax wrote:To me it actually comes across as something horribly built, like it was a mash of things cobbled together to work.

Yeah, not an expert or anything, but "carries a bunch of libraries" makes me think the designer didn't put a lot of time into it or making it sneakier.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue May 29, 2012 1:21 pm UTC

Re: Flame virus

Reuters promptly makes an infographic to show how pant-dropping it is.

Spoiler:

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Tue May 29, 2012 2:37 pm UTC

One- to five-thousand infected machines? But...but that's almost all the computers! It's the apocalypse! Save us, Mikko Hypönnen!
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue May 29, 2012 3:54 pm UTC

Don't you all know the risks hackers pose to our safety?! This is definitely not compltely hyperbole, maybe.

Spoiler:

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Tue May 29, 2012 4:39 pm UTC

Well, exploding capacitors are nasty. I suppose a very dedicated attacker could cause an old CRT monitor to fail, but I imagine there's safeguards against implosion.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Tue May 29, 2012 4:58 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:

Then you're ahead of the game! Carry on as you are.
Have you given up?

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue May 29, 2012 5:51 pm UTC

I've gotten at least a half dozen wrong numbers in the past two days, all looking for different people. According to sprint, some idiot set his call forwarding to my number. But why are the calls are for a different person?

I'm almost wondering if someone posted my number on a website, but then I'd expect prank calls, not just wrong numbers.

Edit: Stupid stomach, wtf? This morning: upset. Then doing ok, then hungry. Eat lunch. Feel full, maybe ate a little too much. 2 hours later and you're hungry again? What the hell? I ate more than enough. *punches self in stomach* Oww, my stomach hurts.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed May 30, 2012 12:23 am UTC

I'd imagine monitors would have hardware-level limitations, no?

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Wed May 30, 2012 2:13 pm UTC

Dear reggae douchebag.
Okay, that's your choice in music, fine, but it's not mine. As such I would very much appreciate not having to shut my window on a lovely sunny day because you think the whole street needs to hear your music. Sure, we could have a speaker volume contest and I'd kick your sorry little arse, but I'm not going to do that because unlike you I can understand that it would be annoying for the other people living around here and actually care about people other than myself.

Yours sincerely.
A hungover guy two doors down.
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed May 30, 2012 2:26 pm UTC

Gah. New purchasing system. Already ranted about it, but fuck. It's in place now, so thanks Finance department for pushing your work off on me. What used to take 2-5 minutes at the absolute max will now be 15 minutes or more each time. And it helps me not one iota, it just helps them.

AND. AND! We now have to fill out a fucking form for any purchase, even ones under $250. Thanks. So nice to know that tracking expenses is more important than getting my fucking job done.

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Wed May 30, 2012 5:52 pm UTC

emceng wrote:I've gotten at least a half dozen wrong numbers in the past two days, all looking for different people. According to sprint, some idiot set his call forwarding to my number. But why are the calls are for a different person?

I'm almost wondering if someone posted my number on a website, but then I'd expect prank calls, not just wrong numbers.

1. Have you tried googling your number?
2. I'd ask the next person who calls how did they get the number.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed May 30, 2012 6:10 pm UTC

PerchloricAcid wrote:
emceng wrote:I've gotten at least a half dozen wrong numbers in the past two days, all looking for different people. According to sprint, some idiot set his call forwarding to my number. But why are the calls are for a different person?

1. Have you tried googling your number?
2. I'd ask the next person who calls how did they get the number.

1) Yep, no results except the ones you pay to find out what area code it is for.
2) Did this last night. Only my first 3 digits matched the number the caller wanted. She was also calling her husband at their residence, so really don't think the woman would have dialed the number wrong.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed May 30, 2012 6:17 pm UTC

Is it just errant missdials or have you also been recieving cat-facts subscriptions?

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed May 30, 2012 6:33 pm UTC

No, just errant mis-dials. Caller 1 dialed their parents, and got me. Caller 2 was looking for Mrs. X. Caller 3 left a voice message for his son. Caller 4 was trying to call her husband. When asked, she was trying to reach e.g. 555-123-4567, when my number is 555-908-0814. No digits the same after area code. But this many calls, in this many days, for obviously different people?

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed May 30, 2012 6:44 pm UTC

Clearly your phone is where wrong numbers go to die.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Thu May 31, 2012 9:34 am UTC

I really do dislike the BBC have your say board. The people that frequent it are just ludicrous. The one topic is that a leading professor on drugs and alcohol made a comment that maybe breathalisers should be installed in cars and make it mandatory to pass the test before the car will start. Straight away the people decended on it with, what if the passenger blew into the tube instead? Ignoring the fact that, would you as a sober person, breathe into a tube to start the car for a driver who you knew to be drunk? Lot's of other theories on how to bypass it, like just keeping an empty water bottle and using that to blow air into the machine; not noting that it takes a long sustained breath to get a reading. Other problems have been shown, like if it malfunctions; what then? But not one person on that board has said, well at least it's an idea to stop drunks from endangering people and themselves on our roads.

I really dislike how society is showing itself to be more about, "how is this good for me?" and less about, "is this good for everyone?" bah.
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

roband

Postby roband » Thu May 31, 2012 9:40 am UTC

Sytri wrote:I really do dislike the BBC have your say board. The people that frequent it are just ludicrous. The one topic is that a leading professor on drugs and alcohol made a comment that maybe breathalisers should be installed in cars and make it mandatory to pass the test before the car will start. Straight away the people decended on it with, what if the passenger blew into the tube instead? Ignoring the fact that, would you as a sober person, breathe into a tube to start the car for a driver who you knew to be drunk? Lot's of other theories on how to bypass it, like just keeping an empty water bottle and using that to blow air into the machine; not noting that it takes a long sustained breath to get a reading. Other problems have been shown, like if it malfunctions; what then? But not one person on that board has said, well at least it's an idea to stop drunks from endangering people and themselves on our roads.

I really dislike how society is showing itself to be more about, "how is this good for me?" and less about, "is this good for everyone?" bah.

I like reading the HYS stuff. And laughing at it. I always look at "View Lowest Rated Comment" first, for the real gold. It's either a ridiculous post, or a decent one which lots of fools have 'downvoted'.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 am UTC

roband wrote: I always look at "View Lowest Rated Comment" first, for the real gold. It's either a ridiculous post, or a decent one which lots of fools have 'downvoted'.

Reddit has a "controversial" settings which is perfect for this.
Last edited by Menacing Spike on Thu May 31, 2012 11:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

wam

Postby wam » Thu May 31, 2012 11:07 am UTC

roband wrote:
I like reading the HYS stuff. And laughing at it. I always look at "View Lowest Rated Comment" first, for the real gold. It's either a ridiculous post, or a decent one which lots of fools have 'downvoted'.

I also like how the Editors Choice comments can be a long way down and normally don't match any of the others. Although if you want amusing you should compare the guardian and telegraph comments on similar articles.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Return to “General”