Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26529
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

Well-meaning intention, but makes it hard when a player wants to come out to his or her friends that they're ***.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

It's probably what SecondTalon said. They intended to ban the word as a pejorative, but you can't really auto-ban on intent. Since "gay" is often used as a pejorative, and "homosexual" is not, they probably decided it was worth losing the literal definition of "gay" to stop people using the pejorative.

I'm tempted to say more about Prism, but I'd rather not turn this into N&A.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1847
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby eran_rathan » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

Fucking GODSDAMNED FUCKING ENGINEERS.

You are not fucking surveyors. If you don't know how to make a plan, ASK. Google imagery is not fucking close e-fucking-nough to locate buildings that you expect me to be able to lay out a godsdamn $6 million building fucking next to, you assholes. If you rely on fucking 2001 data, YOU ARE NOT ONLY WRONG, YOU ARE AN ASSHOLE.

Also, getting me the data at 4 pm on a Friday so that I can lay it out Monday morning, when I requested it two fucking weeks ago? You're not only an asshole, you're a fucking godsdamned whore-mongering shit-eating sweaty-monkey balls licking incestuous bastard!

FUCK. YOU.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Steax » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:32 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Well-meaning intention, but makes it hard when a player wants to come out to his or her friends that they're ***.


It's the only censored word. People can swear whatever they want except that. So I'm not sure if it's the game publisher or that people are abusing the word.
Edit: Oh, I think I came off as if I was angry at the censoring. I was actually just surprised. I'm not even really sure how or why it's that way.
Edit2: ... Right. Pant thread. I should stop posting at 1 AM.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:Fucking GODSDAMNED FUCKING ENGINEERS.

You are not fucking surveyors. If you don't know how to make a plan, ASK. Google imagery is not fucking close e-fucking-nough to locate buildings that you expect me to be able to lay out a godsdamn $6 million building fucking next to, you assholes. If you rely on fucking 2001 data, YOU ARE NOT ONLY WRONG, YOU ARE AN ASSHOLE.

Also, getting me the data at 4 pm on a Friday so that I can lay it out Monday morning, when I requested it two fucking weeks ago? You're not only an asshole, you're a fucking godsdamned whore-mongering shit-eating sweaty-monkey balls licking incestuous bastard!

FUCK. YOU.


woah, i feel your rage buddy.

please, give us some context so we may share in your rage.
Image

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Роберт » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:
eran_rathan wrote:Fucking GODSDAMNED FUCKING ENGINEERS.

You are not fucking surveyors. If you don't know how to make a plan, ASK. Google imagery is not fucking close e-fucking-nough to locate buildings that you expect me to be able to lay out a godsdamn $6 million building fucking next to, you assholes. If you rely on fucking 2001 data, YOU ARE NOT ONLY WRONG, YOU ARE AN ASSHOLE.

Also, getting me the data at 4 pm on a Friday so that I can lay it out Monday morning, when I requested it two fucking weeks ago? You're not only an asshole, you're a fucking godsdamned whore-mongering shit-eating sweaty-monkey balls licking incestuous bastard!

FUCK. YOU.


woah, i feel your rage buddy.

please, give us some context so we may share in your rage.

I think he gave the context. Some idiot gave him some google imagery instead of useful data for laying out a large-scale construction project.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:
eran_rathan wrote:Fucking GODSDAMNED FUCKING ENGINEERS.

You are not fucking surveyors. If you don't know how to make a plan, ASK. Google imagery is not fucking close e-fucking-nough to locate buildings that you expect me to be able to lay out a godsdamn $6 million building fucking next to, you assholes. If you rely on fucking 2001 data, YOU ARE NOT ONLY WRONG, YOU ARE AN ASSHOLE.

Also, getting me the data at 4 pm on a Friday so that I can lay it out Monday morning, when I requested it two fucking weeks ago? You're not only an asshole, you're a fucking godsdamned whore-mongering shit-eating sweaty-monkey balls licking incestuous bastard!

FUCK. YOU.


woah, i feel your rage buddy.

please, give us some context so we may share in your rage.

I think he gave the context. Some idiot gave him some google imagery instead of useful data for laying out a large-scale construction project.



yep, that would be correct.

i really should refrain from posting before my morning caffeine intake.
Image

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1847
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby eran_rathan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:16 am UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:
Роберт wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:
eran_rathan wrote:Fucking GODSDAMNED FUCKING ENGINEERS.

You are not fucking surveyors. If you don't know how to make a plan, ASK. Google imagery is not fucking close e-fucking-nough to locate buildings that you expect me to be able to lay out a godsdamn $6 million building fucking next to, you assholes. If you rely on fucking 2001 data, YOU ARE NOT ONLY WRONG, YOU ARE AN ASSHOLE.

Also, getting me the data at 4 pm on a Friday so that I can lay it out Monday morning, when I requested it two fucking weeks ago? You're not only an asshole, you're a fucking godsdamned whore-mongering shit-eating sweaty-monkey balls licking incestuous bastard!

FUCK. YOU.


woah, i feel your rage buddy.

please, give us some context so we may share in your rage.

I think he gave the context. Some idiot gave him some google imagery instead of useful data for laying out a large-scale construction project.



yep, that would be correct.

i really should refrain from posting before my morning caffeine intake.



Yeah, the engineers that I work with (against?) gave me a large construction project to lay out, using data from Google, old imagery and mapping from 2001, and other stuff that, and I quote, "I have no idea where it came from," and expected me to go ahead and lay it out, putting my licence and business on the line for his laziness.

But it worked out - I located everything in the area, will send that data to him, and I get to charge him double what it should have if he had done his job in the first place (which means he doesn't get as big a bonus, boo-fucking-hoo).
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

User avatar
tastelikecoke
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 am UTC
Location: Antipode of Brazil
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby tastelikecoke » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Pant: An online game my friends play censors the word "gay". What the fuck.

One of the games I play replace gay with straight, so you get "That's so straight." or "ur straight".
It's really a great way to prevent preeteen homophobes from harassing other people.

Chen
Posts: 5582
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Chen » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:
Steax wrote:Pant: An online game my friends play censors the word "gay". What the fuck.

One of the games I play replace gay with straight, so you get "That's so straight." or "ur straight".
It's really a great way to prevent preeteen homophobes from harassing other people.


In a game where there's not much chatting or whatnot going around yes I agree since most of the time chat would be used for slurs or whatnot. It would just get ridiculously confusing in something like an MMO where you're trying to have a regular conversation though.

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:54 am UTC

I just paid a student loan bill using their online service. $6.00 fucking processing fee! Jesus fucking shit cunts!
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:45 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Jesus fucking shit cunts!

Would he really want to?

Would YOU want to?
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:33 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:Jesus fucking shit cunts!

Would he really want to?

Would YOU want to?
You have improved my mood. Thank you.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

DSenette
Posts: 2418
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby DSenette » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:I just paid a student loan bill using their online service. $6.00 fucking processing fee! Jesus fucking shit cunts!

"hey....we're the holders of your student loan....just wanted to make sure you didn't forget how good we are at fucking you....fucking you hard"
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

so with the new nationalized healthcare plan in place, any thoughts on whether they will remove the tax on cigarrettes?
paying to remove a smokers "burden" on the healthcare system twice just seems silly.
Image

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:so with the new nationalized healthcare plan in place, any thoughts on whether they will remove the tax on cigarrettes?
paying to remove a smokers "burden" on the healthcare system twice just seems silly.


See it as a tax on stupidity.

Of course stupid people would pay their taxes twice.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26529
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:26 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:so with the new nationalized healthcare plan in place, any thoughts on whether they will remove the tax on cigarrettes?
paying to remove a smokers "burden" on the healthcare system twice just seems silly.

The tax is there to create a financial pressure on the smoker to quit.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

The tax is there because the government is aware of the addictive properties of the product and know that the consumer will pay it even if it goes against good judgement. It always comes down to money.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

other rant:
people are in a huge fuss over NSA data collecting, but glossed over this:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/0 ... atacenter/

utah facility power draw: 65,000,000 watts.

titan, worlds fastest super computer power draw: 8,200,000 watts.

what the hell do they have in there?

whatever it is, it has to be big, gnarly, and powerful.
Image

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

I dunno...7 or 8 comparable supercomputers?
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.
Posts: 2044
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:18 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Deva » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

Funding.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

User avatar
WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No
Posts: 506
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby WibblyWobbly » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:other rant:
people are in a huge fuss over NSA data collecting, but glossed over this:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/0 ... atacenter/

utah facility power draw: 65,000,000 watts.

titan, worlds fastest super computer power draw: 8,200,000 watts.

what the hell do they have in there?

whatever it is, it has to be big, gnarly, and powerful.


Is it bad that I now want to spy on all of you?

User avatar
Zarq
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm UTC
Location: Third Rock from Earth's Yellow Sun

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Zarq » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:39 pm UTC

Yes.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5487
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:so with the new nationalized healthcare plan in place, any thoughts on whether they will remove the tax on cigarrettes?
paying to remove a smokers "burden" on the healthcare system twice just seems silly.

I agree there shouldn't be a tax on cigarettes. "Sin taxes" are morally unjustified.

But there should be a fine on smoking in public places comparable to that on public urination. Pollution of the commons is also morally unjustified.

Nobody should care if you give yourself cancer in the privacy of your own home. (Nobody else should have to pay for your treatment either, though).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
Ashlah
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ashlah » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:But there should be a fine on smoking in public places comparable to that on public urination. Pollution of the commons is also morally unjustified.

Sometimes I forget that our local smoking laws aren't national laws. No smoking in public buildings (workplaces, bars, restaurants, etc. Exceptions include casinos, some smoke shops, some small number of hotel rooms) and no smoking within 10ft from building entrances and windows. They also recently banned smoking on the entire local university campus, which is the one regulation I disagree with.

ETA: I'm in Eugene, OR, USA btw.

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5487
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:46 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:But there should be a fine on smoking in public places comparable to that on public urination. Pollution of the commons is also morally unjustified.

Sometimes I forget that our local smoking laws aren't national laws. No smoking in public buildings (workplaces, bars, restaurants, etc. Exceptions include casinos, some smoke shops, some small number of hotel rooms) and no smoking within 10ft from building entrances and windows. They also recently banned smoking on the entire local university campus, which is the one regulation I disagree with.

ETA: I'm in Eugene, OR, USA btw.

I'm in California and those are statewide laws here too, but I don't think they're enough, because I still can't go for a nice walk down the street without walking through someone's cloud of smoke. When I mean in public I mean in public, anywhere that is not your own property, anywhere someone who doesn't want to be exposed to your drugs has as much a right to be there as you. To do otherwise means people who want to smoke get to go wherever they want, but people who don't want to be exposed to it have to avoid any place where such people are likely to be (which is virtually everywhere any other people are likely to be). The non-smokers shouldn't have to make that choice, between freedom of movement or freedom to breath; it's our air too, you have no right to ruin it for everyone else. ("You" meaning smokers here, not Ashlah personally).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No
Posts: 506
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby WibblyWobbly » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:Yes.

I'll remember that when I'm collecting your phone records.

Kidding aside, if the Utah facility is what it is assumed to be, yeah, it dwarfs Titan by a mile. Unfortunately, I've heard that in the next Top500 list, Titan's going to be dwarfed by China's Tianhe-2, projected to be twice as powerful or better. And there are rumors that China is developing not just this big one, but several 10+ Pflop systems to be rolled out soon. Meanwhile, the US's challenger to Tianhe-2 isn't scheduled to roll out for at least a couple of years, by which time I have a feeling China may have invested in something even bigger.

I know high-performance computing doesn't float everyone's boats, but it's my line of work at the moment, and it feels like a small symptom of the larger reluctance to fund research of this kind in the US - a lot of the simulations I know are of the fundamental science type, which nobody wants to fund right now because we're busier spying on ourselves to uncover the trrrists in our midst. Hell, Titan isn't a completely new system to begin with. It's a GPU upgrade of Jaguar, which was also top dog until falling to Tianhe-1A a few years ago. Just seems sad to me.

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

So the new arms race isn't nuclear weapons? It's who can build a faster computer to spy on more people faster? I guess that's an improvement. Sort of.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

Singularity is coming! The Sky(net) is falling!
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:46 am UTC

I wouldn't focus so much on taxing/restricting cigarettes as much as making sure people don't start smoking. On the one hand I'm all about letting people do what they want if it doesn't affect anyone, but you also want to steer people away from destructive habits. Enjoyment/addiction aside, I feel like the smoking industry is surviving on cultural momentum... If we lived in a world where smoking wasn't really a thing, I doubt people would be like "y'know, I feel like lighting a plant on fire and breathing it."

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:48 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:On the one hand I'm all about letting people do what they want if it doesn't affect anyone

Unfortunately, this concept does not apply to smoking.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:54 am UTC

Well fine, whatever they want as long as it doesn't reasonably harm anyone.

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:10 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:On the one hand I'm all about letting people do what they want if it doesn't affect anyone

Unfortunately, this concept does not apply to smoking.
It does in some situations. Like smoking in my own house, or in my yard if I don't have close neighbors. That's why I support no smoking in public laws, but not special cigarette taxes. This is the only philosophical problem I have with nationalized healthcare: it gives the government a legitimate reason to put special taxes on or outlaw things like cigarettes, alcohol, processed foods, refined sugar, etc.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:22 am UTC

Yeah, there are some places where your smoking doesn't harm other people. But even if you smoke in your own house, now your house stinks (still pretty much just your problem), and if you have kids, they now have constant headaches and nausea and mild asthma (thanks, Dad).
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:02 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Well fine, whatever they want as long as it doesn't reasonably harm anyone.

That's certainly not the case.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:02 am UTC

Smoking alone (or with other smokers) in a room that no one else goes into doesn't cause much harm. Apart from the cancer (especially if you can't pay for it) and the opportunity costs of time/money. And supporting the smoking industry. But "reasonable harm" is hard to argue about.

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

A rant in pictures:
Spoiler:
This is the intersection in question. Notice that the left turn lane for the east-west road is set back about 6 feet. There's a good reason for this.
road.jpg


This is how you're supposed to stop at this intersection. Good job, Red Car.
cool.jpg


This isn't cool, but kind of understandable. Maybe you didn't notice the line was setback, and you're stopping parallel to the car in the go-straight lane next to you. This is annoying, but tolerable.
notcool.jpg


This is just ... seriously Red Car? This makes me want to t-bone you.
verynotcool.jpg


What. The. Fuck.
wtf.jpg
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:54 am UTC

Jim stops behind the white line. Good on you, Jim.

Traffic etiquette. Super simple stuff.

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11129
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Yakk » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:28 am UTC

Advanced into intersection hoping to turn left before their light turned red.

As light turned red, cars proceeding in opposite direction made turning left impossible, or saw a butterfly.

Result? Stopped in middle of intersection, blocking traffic in all directions.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
K-R
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:42 pm UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby K-R » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:09 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:This is the intersection in question. Notice that the left turn lane for the east-west road is set back about 6 feet. There's a good reason for this.

Which is what, exactly?


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests