Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Fire Brns

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Fire Brns » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:51 am UTC

Yakk wrote:Advanced into intersection hoping to turn left before their light turned red.
You should have time to move out of the intersection before more cars get momentum and enter the intersection.
I have a left turn going to work that always has a wall of cars blocking it because the lights are timed horribly. The only time I've seen people make left turns there is either challenging death or pulling into the intersection on green and going after the light turns red.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

K-R wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:This is the intersection in question. Notice that the left turn lane for the east-west road is set back about 6 feet. There's a good reason for this.

Which is what, exactly?

To give the innermost left-turn lane at the bottom of the picture a full lane in which to complete the left turn. Especially for larger vehicles, such as buses, semis, larger trucks, etc., which may make wide turns and need a full lane's width throughout the entirety of the turn.

K-R

Postby K-R » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

That's still not making any sense.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

It's because long vehicles can't hug the curb when making the turns - they have to pull out and then turn. You'll see signs on the back of vehicles like that which say something like 'caution - makes wide left turns'.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

Angua wrote:It's because long vehicles can't hug the curb when making the turns - they have to pull out and then turn. You'll see signs on the back of vehicles like that which say something like 'caution - makes wide left turns'.

That's right. In the States (right-hand driving) you see signs warning of "wide right turns" - trucks making such a wide right turn will sometimes try to start the turn from the leftmost lane, leaving room to the right where people think they can pull right up alongside the trailer. But the trailer is a long, rigid object, and the rear wheels don't follow the front wheels through the turn. If a semi driver tries to start a right turn from the inner lane, the trailer will clip the curb.

In the case of a left-hand turn, there's a little more room, but the same problem applies if the jackass in the left turn lane wants to camp out in the intersection. If one were to pull out beyond the white line in the previous images, something like this might happen (I hope the image works - it's crude, but it should be illustrative):

Spoiler:
verynotcool_trailer.jpg
Stay behind the white line!

At least, that's the reason I always assumed.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

Pretty much what everyone else has said about big trucks. But also, when there's nobody there, I can make a nice smooth turn from the left turn lane of the bottom road. When somebody has done something like in picture 3 or 4, I have to make a hard, quick turn at the end to avoid going into the outer left hand turn lane. I'd draw more pictures, because I had way too much fun doing so, but I don't have the file with me.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:32 am UTC

I had someone pull up next to me into the left-turn lane while I was waiting to go straight. When my light turned green, hers did not, but she turned anyway. She's pretty lucky it was a quiet street and there was no oncoming traffic.

Also, SurgicalSteel, what tool did you use to make that diagram? I like it.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:39 am UTC

When I was a kid, I had a very strange interest in drawing roadways and how the cars were supposed to interact with them.

... And for some reason, I didn't actually include very many deathtraps.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:51 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:Also, SurgicalSteel, what tool did you use to make that diagram? I like it.
Thanks, Speck. I actually just used Photoshop and some textures from cgtextures.com.
--Flobots "Mayday"

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:18 am UTC

Steax wrote:... And for some reason, I didn't actually include very many deathtraps.

Your childhood was wasted.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

The obvious one. (That cars turning left may have difficulty without that extra space, due to the geometry of the road).
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

I believe you are about one page late.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:57 am UTC

The level of superstition of people in MMORPGs is mind-bending and frustrating. If anything involves the least amount of randomness, there will inevitably be suggestions on how to "improve your chances" involving every sort of improbable technique that just wouldn't work unless the developers specifically programmed it in.

If I ask them for evidence, they say "but it can't hurt!" and "well it worked for me!"

And when I do a series of test and statistical samples to figure out definitive numbers (which inevitably refute stupid suggestions like "open random chest A until you get bad items then open valuable random chest B"), people get smart and respond with "well, you can't apply a number to it, because it's random..."

/facedesk

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:14 am UTC

I would consider that kind of superstition a plus in an MMO, actually.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:23 am UTC

Not when it leads to drama and finger-pointing. "I hate the GMs, they must have secretly reduced the drop rates to get us all to pay for their premium cash items!"

Even "it's [that guy's] fault we didn't get the rare item, he didn't switch channels! I told him!"

yurell

Postby yurell » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

I hate every time I make a comment about a film, my father or brother will respond "it's only a movie". So? It's only a movie ... so it's above criticism? It's only a movie ... therefore it cannot be improved? It's only a movie ... therefore we can be spoonfed whatever shit they can come up with and enjoy it?
'Being a movie' does not make a text infallible. Enjoying something does not mean it can't be improved. And "I watch movies to enjoy them" with its insinuation that it's not what I do is so bloody insulting it's not funny — I don't watch movies to pick them apart, I pick them apart because they have obvious and blatant flaws that even a passive observer like me can see them. I don't understand how people can accept things so uncritically, and not be willing to discuss the ideas to which they've been exposed afterwards.

That's the end of this rant. I don't know if I've made it before, but it gets me every time >.<
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

Steax wrote:people get smart and respond with "well, you can't apply a number to it, because it's random..."

The worst example I've witnessed of this kind of logic was a guy going "you either drop it or you don't so it's a 50% chance" (people were collecting samples about a 0.03% drop). Dude, fuck off.

A duck

Postby A duck » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
Steax wrote:people get smart and respond with "well, you can't apply a number to it, because it's random..."

The worst example I've witnessed of this kind of logic was a guy going "you either drop it or you don't so it's a 50% chance" (people were collecting samples about a 0.03% drop). Dude, fuck off.

You mean I don't have a 50/50 chance of winning the lottery every time? I knew something was up.
Hi, I'm a d*ck that wants to say a symbol.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

John Oliver was covering the LHC before it started up, and the guy who was suing them in case they made a strangelet which destroyed the world said 'that it was either going to happen, or it wouldn't, so it was a 50/50 chance'. John Oliver looked at him and said 'I don't think that's how probability works'.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

yurell wrote:I hate every time I make a comment about a film, my father or brother will respond "it's only a movie". So? It's only a movie ... so it's above criticism? It's only a movie ... therefore it cannot be improved? It's only a movie ... therefore we can be spoonfed whatever shit they can come up with and enjoy it?
'Being a movie' does not make a text infallible. Enjoying something does not mean it can't be improved. And "I watch movies to enjoy them" with its insinuation that it's not what I do is so bloody insulting it's not funny — I don't watch movies to pick them apart, I pick them apart because they have obvious and blatant flaws that even a passive observer like me can see them. I don't understand how people can accept things so uncritically, and not be willing to discuss the ideas to which they've been exposed afterwards.

That's the end of this rant. I don't know if I've made it before, but it gets me every time >.<

Moff's law

http://www.racialicious.com/2009/12/21/ ... moffs-law/
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:28 am UTC

That didnt say what Moff's law actually is...

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:58 am UTC

Moff's Law formally defined (from the comments):
karinova wrote:For the sake of easy citation, allow me to formally state the rule If I may?

Moff's Law:
1) As a discussion of a creative work grows longer, the probability of some ass whining about "overanalyzing" approaches 1.
2) In any discussion of creative work, anyone who says "Oh me yarm, why can't you just enjoooy it??" automatically loses. Hard.

Moff's Law (Cliffs Notes version):
If it bugs you so much, GO WATCH A GODDAMN FUNNY CAT VIDEO!
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:10 am UTC

Small Rant:

My People, The People of the US, do not Know;
And; A large number of my people do not Want to Know.

I was speaking with some people in Public.
I said, "Humans are a sensitive Animal."

A Thirteen year old Girl responded, "Humans Are Not Animal!"
She meant it, too. Her brothers Knew. They Laughed.

Then The Whole Family went off To Church.

It is ok with me if People do not 'believe' in Evolution.
To have a thing like Evolution being used the way it is today in The US is Strange, at best.

Does the rest of the world know?
Does the rest of the world know what Americans say?

I have heard it so many times.
One person will say, "I believe in Evolution."
That is not a statement of Knowledge.
That is a statement of Faith. Very little Faith.

I have listened to people say, "I believe in Evolution."
Then tell me Science has Nothing to do with it.
Then go on to tell me, "It is My Belief. No One Can Tell Me What To Believe!"

The last guy let me Know.
He knew Nothing about Evolution.
Nothing. He was saying that he is an Atheist?
I have no idea.

I have heard many, many others state, "I believe in God. Evolution is a Lie!"
Those people did not know anything about Evolution, either.

It is a statement of Faith and is often followed with Anger.
Evolution is a Buzz Word. It is used to Stop conversations.

That is sad. The girl does not want to be an Animal.
That is fine. It is charming in a Girl.
It is not important for a Thirteen Year Old Girl to understand that she and all other people are a kind of Animal.

Now that I think about it:
I wonder if she knows where people come from.

If not; Now would not be a good time to tell her.
I did not have time to ask any questions.

Evolution is Hard to understand, sometimes.
It IS easier to believe is something else.
Anything else! But; To be angry seems like a Wrong responds.

If the word Evolution is a person's stated Faith,
Shouldn't that person know something about it?

It is, just, a Word! Like Billions and Trillions.
No one knows what those words mean.
Everyone likes to say those words.

People do not need to know How evolution works.
Evolution is not a Jealous God.
It does not care who believes in it.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

addams wrote:Evolution is not a Jealous God.
It does not care who believes in it.

Theoretically, no, but I wouldn't be so sure.

Protoform

Postby Protoform » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

So over the past five or six months I've been doing dietary experiments, and I can only conclude one thing: everything except fruit, meat, veggies and some other very basic things make me get breakouts. When I eat only those things, my skin gets clear in a few weeks. Add milk? BAM, big breakouts all over my face. Remove it? It's all gone in a few weeks. Try bread? Cheese? Coffee? Same result as the milk: big breakouts all over that go away when I cut them out again.

My body clearly has decided not to adapt to the 21st century.

This would be less of a problem if I could at least leave the bread and cheese in...

donny662

Postby donny662 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:53 am UTC

Protoform wrote:So over the past five or six months I've been doing dietary experiments, and I can only conclude one thing: everything except fruit, meat, veggies and some other very basic things make me get breakouts. When I eat only those things, my skin gets clear in a few weeks. Add milk? BAM, big breakouts all over my face. Remove it? It's all gone in a few weeks. Try bread? Cheese? Coffee? Same result as the milk: big breakouts all over that go away when I cut them out again.

My body clearly has decided not to adapt to the 21st century.

This would be less of a problem if I could at least leave the bread and cheese in...

Cheese makes sense if milk is a problem. Many breads also use milk as an ingredient. Maybe try a French type bread; when I make a French Bread recipe, the ingredients are water, salt, flour, and yeast.

I don't see how the coffee could have a common ingredient with milk, so either it's not related, or your "coffee" is really a "latte" or "capucino" not simply "hot water dripped through ground roasted beans from a coffee plant."

Protoform

Postby Protoform » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:06 am UTC

donny662 wrote:Cheese makes sense if milk is a problem. Many breads also use milk as an ingredient. Maybe try a French type bread; when I make a French Bread recipe, the ingredients are water, salt, flour, and yeast.

I'm aware, and tried it. But nope, it makes no difference.

donny662 wrote:I don't see how the coffee could have a common ingredient with milk, so either it's not related, or your "coffee" is really a "latte" or "capucino" not simply "hot water dripped through ground roasted beans from a coffee plant."

Also nope. Just black coffee.

I'm also considering the possibility that trying out whether these new foods cause breakouts stresses me out or something, meaning it's not the actual food that leads to the problem. Because, honestly, I too don't see how so many different kinds of food can all lead to this problem.

yurell

Postby yurell » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:13 am UTC

Have you considered visiting a doctor or dietician? They may be able to help you, maybe isolating whatever it is that is causing you to break out, or finding a diet that can include these things sans-breakout.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

Suzaku wrote:Moff's Law formally defined (from the comments):
karinova wrote:For the sake of easy citation, allow me to formally state the rule If I may?

Moff's Law:
1) As a discussion of a creative work grows longer, the probability of some ass whining about "overanalyzing" approaches 1.
2) In any discussion of creative work, anyone who says "Gee Willikers, why can't you just enjoooy it??" automatically loses. Hard.

Moff's Law (Cliffs Notes version):
If it bugs you so much, GO WATCH A GODDAMN FUNNY CAT VIDEO!

i really like this, i may have to use it sometime.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:That didnt say what Moff's law actually is...

Right, sorry. I like my restatement of it

Second Talon in High Culture/Movie & TV Rules wrote:*NEW* 6. Don't Break Moff's Law.[Link] The shorter version is - Don't ever say "Why are you analyzing it so much? Just turn your brain off for a while, don't think about it, just enjoy it for the popcorn fluff that it is."

Don't say that because 1. fuck you, and 2. don't tell people how to enjoy things.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:That didnt say what Moff's law actually is...

Right, sorry. I like my restatement of it

SexyTalon in High Culture/Movie & TV Rules wrote:*NEW* 6. Don't Break Moff's Law.[Link] The shorter version is - Don't ever say "Why are you analyzing it so much? Just turn your brain off for a while, don't think about it, just enjoy it for the popcorn fluff that it is."

Don't say that because 1. fuck you, and 2. don't tell people how to enjoy things.

the only stipulation i would add to this, is please save your analyses for after the film, i am trying to analyze the film myself, and i can't STAND people who talk over a good piece of film work.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:46 pm UTC

You mean like this?

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:the only stipulation i would add to this, is please save your analyses for after the film, i am trying to analyze the film myself, and i can't STAND people who talk over a good piece of film work.

If you know you're going to discuss it during the film going in, it's ok, but I completely agree with this in general. I'm actually somewhat reticent about watching TV shows with my friends because I know some of them like to talk about stuff as they watch it and it really irritates me.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:35 pm UTC

I generally don't watch stuff that I haven't seen before with my friends for exactly that reason. At home, I mean. They're quiet in a movie theatre.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

When the best two-person show on YouTube gets one person replaced by someone you already hated from the videos of him you saw previously. :evil:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNizrobWjBU
Jon, whatever videos you make after this BETTER BE FUCKIN GOOD.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

If I'm going to splurge on a $30 haircut (I have a ballroom competition this weekend), you'd think I would wind up with evenly trimmed sideburns. Seriously, I don't think that's a lot to ask.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:55 pm UTC

"Because there's an even distribution of chances, rand(0,100) will usually return a number close to 50."

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

Steax wrote:"Because there's an even distribution of chances, rand(0,100) will usually return a number close to 50."

Closer to 50 than to -50 or 150, certainly :)
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

For no apparent reason, my dog has decided that the command "side" no longer means "come sit by my left side", but rather means "walk away and ignore any future commands". I seriously have no idea why, he used to be boss at "side", then one day he just said fuck it and started walking out of the room and ignoring me.
--Flobots "Mayday"

yurell

Postby yurell » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:For no apparent reason, my dog has decided that the command "side" no longer means "come sit by my left side", but rather means "walk away and ignore any future commands". I seriously have no idea why, he used to be boss at "side", then one day he just said fuck it and started walking out of the room and ignoring me.

Ever ordered him with 'outside' before?

Return to “General”