Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!
Posts: 6986
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:14 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Hawknc » Sun May 18, 2008 10:44 am UTC

I don't know, I kind of enjoyed it. Schools debating was never about reaching a resolution to an argument, it was about developing skills in researching and putting forth an argument, as well as helping your oral presentation and self-confidence. You learned to think pretty quick when you had to give a ten-minute speech on a topic you were only given an hour before the debate starts.

User avatar
Wanderingcowboy
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 9:11 am UTC
Location: Your mom

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Wanderingcowboy » Sun May 18, 2008 11:45 am UTC

Okay, my school didn't really have a debate team (...you know, small private school. And I already argued with anybody anyways). But I did have a lawyer as a father, and you had to learn to think on your feet pretty quickly as to why you should get a larger allowance, or why you should get to stay out past 10:00, or why he shouldn't send me down to work in the mines 10 hours ever day.

eternal luna wrote:Different area? Our ceilings are made of papier-mache newspaper that turns green and falls out in clumps when it rains. We have strange plants creeping through classrooms that we nickname "Ivy". A large proportion of the tables are stuck to their frames with chewing gum. Everytime it rains more than two days in a row, the entire school floods- I'm talking knee-deep all through the quads, our drainage system dates to somewhere in the 70s. We have to fight to get a seating place at breaks, and have grade rivalry over the benches. We can't fit a whole grade in our hall. Our sports equipment is, for the most part, falling to pieces. You can't pull your chair in or out in a lot of the classrooms because the carpet goes with it and trips you up.

In Sydney, private schools get more funding.

... :shock:
Well, at my school the auditorium wasn't big enough to fit everbody. (We had an entire school assembly twice a week. We'd either have people talk about stuff, or classes present things, or like... sometimes there'd be a magician!) So, we had Senior/kindergarten buddies. So, I'd have a 5 year old or something on my lap for an hour twice a week. I actually had two buddies. Only one of them was on my lap though.

...and the heating/cooling system in the auditorium made loud clicking systems sometimes. ...it was loud... and echo-y.

...OH! And we also didn't have an indoor track field. We had an indoor gym, and a weight room with treadmills, just not a full out track.

...I'll go with different area here. >.>
</over-privileged white American suburban kid>
Randall on a skateboard!?
:mrgreen: <= This is my smiley. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My smiley is my best friend. It is my life. Without me, my smiley is useless. Without my smiley I am useless.

User avatar
eternal luna
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:54 am UTC
Location: Сидней

Re: Rant Thread

Postby eternal luna » Sun May 18, 2008 11:54 am UTC

Wanderingcowboy wrote:And we also didn't have an indoor track field.


Huh. I don't actually know what that is :?

Eh, that was a whole load of bitching about my school. There are very, very good parts to it though. Our ovals have some grass on them :D Some of the rooms have VCRs, and some even have DVD players! Some of the toilets actually lock, and we just got closable doors for the boy's cubicles! And finally a mirror (well, not really. More like a piece of metal you can see a vague outline of a person in. Better than nothing though!) for the girl's bathroom. A couple of the rooms even have air-conditioning!



... Okay. I'm a little bitter. But I love my school. I haven't come across another environment where so many species of nerd are allowed to flourish. We're all benefited by each other's company.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

User avatar
Wanderingcowboy
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 9:11 am UTC
Location: Your mom

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Wanderingcowboy » Sun May 18, 2008 12:06 pm UTC

eternal luna wrote:
Wanderingcowboy wrote:And we also didn't have an indoor track field.


Huh. I don't actually know what that is :?

... a multi-million dollar field house that has a track in it? Basically, a 400 meter oval made of a special material so that people can sprint/run/hurdle around it. Sometimes there will be high jump pits/shot throwing areas inside/around the oval. And my high school of 180 people did not have one! ...to tell you the truth I don't even know where we could have even fit it. I just liked giving coach a hard time that we didn't have one.
Randall on a skateboard!?
:mrgreen: <= This is my smiley. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My smiley is my best friend. It is my life. Without me, my smiley is useless. Without my smiley I am useless.

User avatar
eternal luna
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:54 am UTC
Location: Сидней

Re: Rant Thread

Postby eternal luna » Sun May 18, 2008 12:10 pm UTC

:shock: Gods, I've never even heard of that. Is it such a common thing that you'd expect to have one? Ha. We felt proud that we have two ovals (even if the grass only recently re-appeared), but now...

And 180 people for a whole school? Wow, we have more than that per grade... not including the special ed classes...


Edit: I completely get what you meant about instantly editing all your posts.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

User avatar
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!
Posts: 6986
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:14 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Hawknc » Sun May 18, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Wanderingcowboy wrote:... a multi-million dollar field house that has a track in it? Basically, a 400 meter oval made of a special material so that people can sprint/run/hurdle around it. Sometimes there will be high jump pits/shot throwing areas inside/around the oval. And my high school of 180 people did not have one! ...to tell you the truth I don't even know where we could have even fit it. I just liked giving coach a hard time that we didn't have one.

I don't know of a single school in this country that has one of those. Certainly no public school, maybe one or two of the richer private schools in Sydney perhaps.

|Erasmus|
Branson
Posts: 2643
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:53 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun May 18, 2008 1:34 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:
Wanderingcowboy wrote:... a multi-million dollar field house that has a track in it? Basically, a 400 meter oval made of a special material so that people can sprint/run/hurdle around it. Sometimes there will be high jump pits/shot throwing areas inside/around the oval. And my high school of 180 people did not have one! ...to tell you the truth I don't even know where we could have even fit it. I just liked giving coach a hard time that we didn't have one.

I don't know of a single school in this country that has one of those. Certainly no public school, maybe one or two of the richer private schools in Sydney perhaps.


afaik... even King's school doesn't have a proper track like that... let along an indoor one.

my primary school was right next door to it, and we used their hall/ovals/pools for our presentation nights/athletics carnivals/swimming carnivals.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Rant Thread

Postby SlyReaper » Sun May 18, 2008 3:18 pm UTC

Grammar Nazis. Don't you just hate it when someone makes a post in a thread for no other purpose than to point out a spelling or grammatical error in a previous post? And this isn't restricted to internet forums either. Even in normal group conversation, there will sometimes be some prick who has to pipe up and inform you that you have misused the word "nor". It's not helpful. It halts the flow of conversation. It doesn't make you look clever. Nobody is thinking to themselves "wow, what a well-informed person with such sparkling wit and conversational prowess." They're thinking "who cares? The meaning was clear enough. Go and crawl back under your bridge, why don't you?"
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Wanderingcowboy
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 9:11 am UTC
Location: Your mom

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Wanderingcowboy » Sun May 18, 2008 3:54 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Grammar Nazis. Don't you just hate it when someone makes a post in a thread for no other purpose than to point out a spelling or grammatical error in a previous post? And this isn't restricted to internet forums either. Even in normal group conversation, there will sometimes be some prick who has to pipe up and inform you that you have misused the word "nor". It's not helpful. It halts the flow of conversation. It doesn't make you look clever. Nobody is thinking to themselves "wow, what a well-informed person with such sparkling wit and conversational prowess." They're thinking "who cares? The meaning was clear enough. Go and crawl back under your bridge, why don't you?"

See... I really want to be a bastard right now and nit-pick your grammar... but I'm an Engimaneer, and thus don't know wordses stuff. You pluralized something wrong, or you used the wrong tense. But yeah, besides my trying to be a bastards, I completely agree with you. The point of communication is to communicate information, not to follow Dr. I. M. Dickwad's Rules of Englishy stuff. I mean, it's good to sound coherent and what-not, but who cares about the little stuff?

Hawknc wrote:I don't know of a single school in this country that has one of those. Certainly no public school, maybe one or two of the richer private schools in Sydney perhaps.

And Australia is nice and warm usually, at least compared to Chicago and the upper East-Coast. Indoor tracks aren't as "needed" here as they are back in the US. ...or maybe you waste all of your money on actual "education" and all that stupid stuff. :P
Randall on a skateboard!?
:mrgreen: <= This is my smiley. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My smiley is my best friend. It is my life. Without me, my smiley is useless. Without my smiley I am useless.

Manial
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:52 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Manial » Sun May 18, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

Wow... that makes me kinda embarrassed about my school now. Let me put it this way; The year after I left they got permission to demolish a (beautiful, imo) 1930's heritage listed building to build a fairly ugly, expensive (it cost around $10 million to build I think), almost totally glass building, which will apparently house one or two classrooms, another library and a computer lab. Also, a few years before that they splurged on a stupid sports complex :x
(Hopefully no one's going to stalk me with this information)

Most of the classrooms only had radiators and fans though, so you've really got to wonder where their priorities were.

*wonders how this thread was derailed to australian schools*

Anyway, what really irritates me is my tendency write in massive run-on sentences, which usually contain several clauses and conjunctions, and make my writing hard to follow. I try to stop it, but every time I write a short sentence it just feels... bare, as though I've missed something. Although I can force myself to write short sentences, I have to convince myself that it's for effect.
Last edited by Manial on Sun May 18, 2008 6:03 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

peter
Posts: 371
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:09 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread

Postby peter » Sun May 18, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

My rant: People that hated me because I went to private school.

Kid: "Hey! I go to West! Where do you go?
Me: "FCD."
Kid: "Rich fuck/I hate you"

That really prevented me from doing social activities outside of my school. I never seemed to be able to fit in, or be allowed to fit in, with students from other schools.

And no, my school didn't have an indoor track, either. We did have a nice, outdoor one though.

|Erasmus|
Branson
Posts: 2643
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:53 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun May 18, 2008 10:36 pm UTC

Wanderingcowboy wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Grammar Nazis. Don't you just hate it when someone makes a post in a thread for no other purpose than to point out a spelling or grammatical error in a previous post? And this isn't restricted to internet forums either. Even in normal group conversation, there will sometimes be some prick who has to pipe up and inform you that you have misused the word "nor". It's not helpful. It halts the flow of conversation. It doesn't make you look clever. Nobody is thinking to themselves "wow, what a well-informed person with such sparkling wit and conversational prowess." They're thinking "who cares? The meaning was clear enough. Go and crawl back under your bridge, why don't you?"

See... I really want to be a bastard right now and nit-pick your grammar... but I'm an Engimaneer, and thus don't know wordses stuff. You pluralized something wrong, or you used the wrong tense. But yeah, besides my trying to be a bastards, I completely agree with you. The point of communication is to communicate information, not to follow Dr. I. M. Dickwad's Rules of Englishy stuff. I mean, it's good to sound coherent and what-not, but who cares about the little stuff?


Why do people act like it's ok to just butcher a language however you want, as long as some people are able to work out what you mean.

Now, there -is- such a thing as being a pedantic prick in situations where, indeed, it doesn't matter, and the message is still clear enough to be reasonable. But I have seen some of the things that people around my age are capable of writing, and it is hideous. It is tragic that there are so many people out there who claim to speak(and write) English as a first language, yet clearly have no idea whatsoever how to use it.

As for 'noone caring about the little stuff', I really dislike that attitude. You won't be able to communicated information properly anymore if you just let the use of the language degrade to the point that it's no longer recognisable. You will simply devolve all languages back into regional dialects that people outside will have to learn like it's a new language. There's alot to be said for actually following proper English conventions, and it's very rarely hard to do so (and I'm not talking never making an obscure error, for the record).

And back on the education thing... they don't even attempt to teach you how to use the English language here in Australia. English is a compulsory subject in our HSC(the final school exam in NSW), and not only are we forced to do it, it -has- to count towards our university admission ranking. I wouldn't really mind this if they actually taught us how to speak/write proper English, preferably in some sort of context that may be useful when we go and get a job, because, let's face it, we aren't necessarily at school studying simply for the sake of studying. But we read Shakespeare, terrible Poetry and the second most overrated author of all time (Austen)... and all we do with it is make up boatloads of crap to fit whatever rediculous theme they have decided we must mould the texts into for this year.

Just for reference, I did actually attend a 'study session' at my local public library by Peter Skrzynecki (who wrote said (imo) terrible poetry) where he actually stated that there was not necessarily all this meaning that our teachers were telling us is all there and intentionally placed by the author for reasons we have to work out. They aren't even teaching about communication (which is more what the subject aims to be than teaching us 'English') because that happens to work both ways, and while being able to determine someone's meaning from something they have written is useful, reading more into things than is actually represented there also leads to a communication breakdown, and is equally as bad.

Unfortunately, the education system doesn't seem to realise this.

</rant>

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Rant Thread

Postby SlyReaper » Mon May 19, 2008 5:57 am UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:Why do people act like it's ok to just butcher a language however you want, as long as some people are able to work out what you mean.

Now, there -is- such a thing as being a pedantic prick in situations where, indeed, it doesn't matter, and the message is still clear enough to be reasonable. But I have seen some of the things that people around my age are capable of writing, and it is hideous. It is tragic that there are so many people out there who claim to speak(and write) English as a first language, yet clearly have no idea whatsoever how to use it.

As for 'noone caring about the little stuff', I really dislike that attitude. You won't be able to communicated information properly anymore if you just let the use of the language degrade to the point that it's no longer recognisable. You will simply devolve all languages back into regional dialects that people outside will have to learn like it's a new language. There's alot to be said for actually following proper English conventions, and it's very rarely hard to do so (and I'm not talking never making an obscure error, for the record).

And back on the education thing... they don't even attempt to teach you how to use the English language here in Australia. English is a compulsory subject in our HSC(the final school exam in NSW), and not only are we forced to do it, it -has- to count towards our university admission ranking. I wouldn't really mind this if they actually taught us how to speak/write proper English, preferably in some sort of context that may be useful when we go and get a job, because, let's face it, we aren't necessarily at school studying simply for the sake of studying. But we read Shakespeare, terrible Poetry and the second most overrated author of all time (Austen)... and all we do with it is make up boatloads of crap to fit whatever rediculous theme they have decided we must mould the texts into for this year.

Just for reference, I did actually attend a 'study session' at my local public library by Peter Skrzynecki (who wrote said (imo) terrible poetry) where he actually stated that there was not necessarily all this meaning that our teachers were telling us is all there and intentionally placed by the author for reasons we have to work out. They aren't even teaching about communication (which is more what the subject aims to be than teaching us 'English') because that happens to work both ways, and while being able to determine someone's meaning from something they have written is useful, reading more into things than is actually represented there also leads to a communication breakdown, and is equally as bad.

Unfortunately, the education system doesn't seem to realise this.

</rant>


Bolded your mistakes. Irritating, isn't it. 8)
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

masher
Posts: 821
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:07 pm UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Rant Thread

Postby masher » Mon May 19, 2008 6:08 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Bolded your mistakes. Irritating, isn't it? 8)


Fixed.

User avatar
cephalopod9
Posts: 2029
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:23 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon May 19, 2008 6:24 am UTC

Know what's fun? Renaming or recategorizing problems so you can pretend they're somebody else's fault. "Custody disputes favor women? why it must be those dang feminsists who all hate men". No, it's the same old gender roles feminism is about not using. "ooh, but I met a feminist once, and she got mad at me for holding the door open". Oh dang, you must be a friggen expert on the ideology, Let me hit you with this dictionary while you tell you more about what all feminists ever are like.

Damn heat. It's already all up in the 100's (40's with the celsius scene) and I feel like not going outside ever again.

Flying Betty wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:PEOPLE WHO FIND IT NECESSARY TO POINT OUT THAT I HAVE LONG HAIR.


Oh me yarm your hair is long! How long have you been growing it? Are you ever going to cut it? I used to have long hair, but then I got sick of it and chopped it off. You should donate it. You know- give it to the little kids who have cancer!

Blargh!

You're so lucky, I'd never have the patience to deal with long hair. My friend has been trying to grow her hair out. How long do you think you're going to grow it? :touch touch touch:


It is kind of strange what people think is appropriate behavior sometimes. "oh my gosh your eyes are so pretty. You should give them to blind people." (Although I do have to admit I like the attention sometimes; good- "You have such pretty hair", bad-"your hair is really long.") (to anybody thinking about telling me to do some good for allopecia patients: [FYI, I HAVE DONATED HAIR BEFORE. I'M NOT SURE WHAT BUSINESS ANYBODY WHO HASN'T HAS COMMENTING ON MY BODY PARTS I've also donated blood. Think about that.] )

My opinion on the grammar debate- For one, I'm just touch perturbed by the casual tossing about of the term "Nazi", and I'll admit that people have a right to misuse and reconfigure the English language. I also have a right to dislike it and say so.

"(could/should/)Would of" makes no sense, the phrase is "would've" abreviated from "would HAVE". Terry Prachet, why must you break my heart??
Image

Graham Finch
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:25 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Graham Finch » Mon May 19, 2008 9:46 am UTC

One thing that's been pissing me off recently are these musical greeting cards that Hallmark and the like are putting on the market. They give off a loud, annoying tune when you open them. My uncle just sent me one for my graduation (coming Friday) with Kool & The Gang's "Celebration," and it startled the crap out of me. I appreciated the check that came with it, though. :P

Just send normal cards, please.

User avatar
Wanderingcowboy
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 9:11 am UTC
Location: Your mom

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Wanderingcowboy » Mon May 19, 2008 9:53 am UTC

masher wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Bolded your mistakes. Irritating, isn't it? 8)

Fixed.

And what I love is that this further proves SlyReaper's point. I understood his point exactly and the fix is irritating! :P
*thinks* Or I'll argue against the fix, saying that Sly wasn't asking if it was irritating. He was telling us, it's irritating. :mrgreen:
I agree that it's important to have basic grammar down so that we don't sound like Youtube comments or 4chan, but you'll notice that most of us are pretty damn good about it here, so correcting the small mistakes just adds noise to these threads, they don't actually further the discussion along at all.

[Note: All bolded 'cause I'm sure I have a mistake, and I refuse to give the unknown you the satisfaction of pointing it out! Muwahahahaha! Now it's all a mistake! ...my very existence... a mistake...]
Randall on a skateboard!?
:mrgreen: <= This is my smiley. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My smiley is my best friend. It is my life. Without me, my smiley is useless. Without my smiley I am useless.

|Erasmus|
Branson
Posts: 2643
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:53 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby |Erasmus| » Mon May 19, 2008 10:03 am UTC

Sorry... I don't find someone correcting me on something irritating.

I find it enlightening, most of the time. Yes, some mistakes are due to laziness, but really, if someone is taking the time to point out to you when you are wrong, and how you could do better, is it a crime?

masher
Posts: 821
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:07 pm UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Rant Thread

Postby masher » Mon May 19, 2008 11:05 am UTC

Wanderingcowboy wrote:And what I love is that this further proves SlyReaper's point. I understood his point exactly and the fix is irritating! :P
*thinks* Or I'll argue against the fix, saying that Sly wasn't asking if it was irritating. He was telling us, it's irritating. :mrgreen:
I agree that it's important to have basic grammar down so that we don't sound like You
Tube comments or 4chan, but you'll notice that most of us are pretty damn good about it here, so correcting the small mistakes just adds noise to these threads, they don't actually further the discussion along at all.

[Note: All bolded 'cause I'm sure I have a mistake, and I refuse to give the unknown you the satisfaction of pointing it out! Muwahahahaha! Now it's all a mistake! ...my very existence... a mistake...]


Fixed. :twisted:

.

Sorry... I don't find someone correcting me on something irritating.

I find it enlightening, most of the time. Yes, some mistakes are due to laziness, but really, if someone is taking the time to point out to you when you are wrong, and how you could do better, is it a crime?


It depends on what/how you're being corrected.

If someone has used "your" instead of "you're" multiple times through a post, then I believe that it's OK to correct/point it out.

If you reply to someone's well-intentioned/thought out post with "Fixed that comma for you", then I'd be annoyed, or at least think "What a silly person.".

User avatar
Luthen
Posts: 2021
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:42 am UTC
Location: Dealing with xkcdian immigration
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Luthen » Mon May 19, 2008 11:38 am UTC

Amarantha (and others) wrote:^ Also, private schools get more funding than public schools. Wtf is up with that?


My Dad researched this and according to the last Victorian State Budget, a private school gets about $1,800 per student and a state school gets between $11,000-$12,000 per student. The state would collapse if private kids went public (hmm, that could mean so many things). I was a private kid (purple, yay!) and I think that private schools do get too much.

eternal luna wrote:Different area? Our ceilings are made of papier-mache newspaper that turns green and falls out in clumps when it rains. We have strange plants creeping through classrooms that we nickname "Ivy". A large proportion of the tables are stuck to their frames with chewing gum. Everytime it rains more than two days in a row, the entire school floods- I'm talking knee-deep all through the quads, our drainage system dates to somewhere in the 70s. We have to fight to get a seating place at breaks, and have grade rivalry over the benches. We can't fit a whole grade in our hall. Our sports equipment is, for the most part, falling to pieces. You can't pull your chair in or out in a lot of the classrooms because the carpet goes with it and trips you up.

...
I went to three public schools (one in Sydney, one on the Central Coast and one in Melbourne) and none were that bad. My first primary school didn't have an electronic bell though (a year 6 ran through the school ringing an actual bell). The only bad thing I can think of are the demountables that breed in state schools. They're "temporary" classrooms on stumps. But even those weren't that bad.

Manial wrote:Wow... that makes me kinda embarrassed about my school now. Let me put it this way; The year after I left they got permission to demolish a (beautiful, imo) 1930's heritage listed building to build a fairly ugly, expensive (it cost around $10 million to build I think), almost totally glass building, which will apparently house one or two classrooms, another library and a computer lab. Also, a few years before that they splurged on a stupid sports complex :x
(Hopefully no one's going to stalk me with this information)

My primary school had a fancy new gymnasium (with canteen and music room) built, which opened in the last six months of going there. Came with an astroturf hockey field and half a dozen more demountables. I walked pass a couple of days ago and they'd pulled up the oval - not sure what they're doing. Nothing was pulled down though.

Manial wrote:*wonders how this thread was derailed to australian schools*

So do I, so do I.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

|Erasmus|
Branson
Posts: 2643
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:53 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby |Erasmus| » Mon May 19, 2008 11:42 am UTC

masher wrote:
Sorry... I don't find someone correcting me on something irritating.

I find it enlightening, most of the time. Yes, some mistakes are due to laziness, but really, if someone is taking the time to point out to you when you are wrong, and how you could do better, is it a crime?


It depends on what/how you're being corrected.

If someone has used "your" instead of "you're" multiple times through a post, then I believe that it's OK to correct/point it out.

If you reply to someone's well-intentioned/thought out post with "Fixed that comma for you", then I'd be annoyed, or at least think "What a silly person.".


Yep.

Even if it's a stupid correction, like fixing something that was obviously a typo and not an actual error, I don't find it irritating.

I just think they are being silly and wasting their time.

@luthen: My primary school also had the year 6 kid ringing the bell.

User avatar
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!
Posts: 6986
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:14 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Hawknc » Mon May 19, 2008 11:47 am UTC

Luthen wrote:I was a private kid (purple, yay!) and I think that private schools do get too much.

...

*Narrows eyes*

Wesley.


:P Sorry, old habits die hard.

User avatar
Luthen
Posts: 2021
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:42 am UTC
Location: Dealing with xkcdian immigration
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Luthen » Mon May 19, 2008 11:53 am UTC

My Dad was an old boy and had some pride. If it makes you feel better, I got in because they thought we were one of their famous families that we share a surname with.

What colours were you?
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

User avatar
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!
Posts: 6986
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:14 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Hawknc » Mon May 19, 2008 11:59 am UTC

Green, maroon and black, albeit first generation. I don't buy hugely into the whole school rivalry thing that Victoria seems to do so well, but I am pretty proud of my school and the opportunities I had through it.

So anyway, my rant is about people who take threads completely off-topic. How rude, seriously! Geez.

User avatar
tryptanymph
More metal than thou
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:42 pm UTC
Location: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby tryptanymph » Mon May 19, 2008 1:43 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:"(could/should/)Would of" makes no sense, the phrase is "would've" abbreviated from "would HAVE". Terry Pratchett, why must you break my heart??

That's fun.

He tends to write how people talk. Just try and imagine that he's making to seem more real.

Or better yet, ignore it. :D
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

User avatar
HedgehogsAreFunneh
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:19 pm UTC
Location: Castle Discordia

Re: Rant Thread

Postby HedgehogsAreFunneh » Mon May 19, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

Me: *talking about something I find serious, like why I'm a vegeterian (for the animals sake, FYI), or my views on wars/comspiracy theories/religion*

Person I'm talking to: Awww, that is *so* *cute*!!!!

Me: Must... Not... Kill...

:evil:
I was thinking of either meditating or napping, but the way I do it, there's not much difference except in the explanation to the rest of my family.

"If anyone finds the plot of this book, tell it I love it very much and want it to come home."

User avatar
thecommabandit
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:25 pm UTC
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby thecommabandit » Mon May 19, 2008 3:05 pm UTC

HedgehogsAreFunneh wrote:Me: *talking about something I find serious, like why I'm a vegeterian (for the animals sake, FYI), or my views on wars/comspiracy theories/religion*

Person I'm talking to: Awww, that is *so* *cute*!!!!

Me: Must... Not... Kill...

:evil:

Whenever people find out that I'm vegetarian their first sentence is usually "You're vegetarian?". After that it's either "I could never do that. I like meat too much." or they try to convince me that I should eat meat. Srsly, STFU plz. It's very rare I'd care much what you think about it, even if you're my best friend in the world ever who incidentally doesn't mention it at all until he finds himself eating meat in front of me and asks me if it's ok (it is) and then carries on.

I don't get how vegetarianism, wars, conspiracies or religion can be cute though. How odd.
Image

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby felltir » Mon May 19, 2008 4:38 pm UTC

<Rant>

Why the.. FUCK... does the fact I'm gay mean I can't be christian? I hate it so much when people say that! Even worse: "Sure, there's nothing wrong with you believing in God, but you can't really be christian, because if you were there's no way you'd even think of having sex with men!" GRRRAAAHHH *tears idiots limb fro limb.*

</rant>

And the same thing has happened to me on the vegetarianess. It's irritating.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

Mo0man
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:46 am UTC
Location: 2 weeks ago

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Mo0man » Mon May 19, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:And the same thing has happened to me on the vegetarianess. It's irritating.

wait... what? is there something in the bible that tells you you HAVE TO eat meat? I mean, I know there's a section in there about "lying with men", but there's a carnivorous section too?

Relevant confession: I've done the "I couldn't be vegetarian, I love meat too much" thing before. I mean, if you're telling me about your eating habits, I might as well tell you about mine...
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

User avatar
segmentation fault
Posts: 1770
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:10 pm UTC
Location: Nu Jersey
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby segmentation fault » Mon May 19, 2008 6:57 pm UTC

Mo0man wrote:wait... what? is there something in the bible that tells you you HAVE TO eat meat?


i know theres something about sacrificing bulls but thats the extent of my knowledge of meat and the bible.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

User avatar
Ramses IV
Posts: 803
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:19 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Ramses IV » Mon May 19, 2008 7:09 pm UTC

segmentation fault wrote:
Mo0man wrote:wait... what? is there something in the bible that tells you you HAVE TO eat meat?


i know theres something about sacrificing bulls but thats the extent of my knowledge of meat and the bible.


That's in the Old Testament, saying that bulls should be sacrificed at the Temple (the one that got burned down). I don't remember it saying anything about eating the bull afterwards, though.

[rant] I don't like it when people think that I'm from Britain just because I can't say my 'R's right. You see, I have a slight lisp. So every once in a while, maybe even more than once a day, I'll get the inevitable "Are you British?" God. I mean, this is their thought process: "Hmm. He can't say certain words right. He must have an accent. Hmm. What kind of people have accents? British people!!!!!" I hate having to explain the whole thing to every Dick and Jane that asks. The same thing with my hearing aids (I wear one in each ear) or a number of other things. STFU people! [/rant]
Last edited by Ramses IV on Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

User avatar
Yawgmoth
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:56 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Yawgmoth » Mon May 19, 2008 8:09 pm UTC

I hate half the people I know for one reason: passive-aggressiveness. They couldn't say what they think to the person they think it about without a gun to their head, and even then it's questionable. The worst part is that they all project it onto the other half. Even the most innocuous of statements simply must have some hidden meaning, some added snark to stir up drama. Oh, and don't try to tell them otherwise, that just means you don't want to admit it! :roll:

I need to stop hanging out with anyone younger than 25.

User avatar
tryptanymph
More metal than thou
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:42 pm UTC
Location: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby tryptanymph » Mon May 19, 2008 10:04 pm UTC

FUCKING SINGERS.

At college, we get given an ensemble, and we have to work together to produce songs (normally covers, because they have a thing about original tracks) to perform. Great.

We were given 3 guitarists (including myself), a drummer and a singer. No bassists, so we alternate bass. Fine.

2 weeks in, we get ANOTHER singer. She's left her previous, well paying job, to come a music college (on a FOUNDATION course! She's 24!).

Okay. I can deal with that. Or I could, if she could actually fucking sing. In tune. And have a vocal range larger than that of a DEAD LEMUR.

Rivalry occurs.

Between the singers. And the new singer latches onto me to gain support for the things I don't really care about.

"...Okay. Piss off."

Then she starts getting stroppy. Acting as though everyone else are children. Okay, most of us are 16-19, but we aren't fucking imbeciles. Don't talk down to me you arrogant self righteous bitch.

Then, our GOOD singer leaves. Personal problems.

So we are left with el bitcho. Great. Before, at least half our songs sounded good. Now we are stuck with miss dickface trying to sing for ALL out stuff.

We struggle though, and do our second performance without our good singer (we do 3 this year).

Now we are getting our good singer back, hopefully.

But that means more rivalry. But at least we'll sound half decent.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

User avatar
cypherspace
Posts: 2733
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:48 pm UTC
Location: Londonia

Re: Rant Thread

Postby cypherspace » Mon May 19, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:2 weeks in, we get ANOTHER singer. She's left her previous, well paying job, to come a music college (on a FOUNDATION course! She's 24!).

Okay. I can deal with that.

Doesn't sound like it! Nothing wrong with doing what she's doing!
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

User avatar
tryptanymph
More metal than thou
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:42 pm UTC
Location: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby tryptanymph » Mon May 19, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

cypherspace wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:2 weeks in, we get ANOTHER singer. She's left her previous, well paying job, to come a music college (on a FOUNDATION course! She's 24!).

Okay. I can deal with that.

Doesn't sound like it! Nothing wrong with doing what she's doing!

What was pissing me off, was the fact that she thinks she's better than everyone, because of her age. What does she expect? She's entered a foundation level course! GCSE level!

Oh, and for some reason, that I cannot fathom, she cannot get her head around the FCGAEB method of working out key signatures. AT ALL. I actually understood how to find the key signature, and write it out, the first day we were told about FCGDAEB. And I had had NO theory training before college.

EDIT: Also, the OTHER reason it annoys me, you didn't quote. She is a LOUSY singer. I have no idea how she got in. She cannot sing in tune to save her life, and she has AWFUL tone.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

User avatar
cypherspace
Posts: 2733
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:48 pm UTC
Location: Londonia

Re: Rant Thread

Postby cypherspace » Mon May 19, 2008 10:34 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:
cypherspace wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:2 weeks in, we get ANOTHER singer. She's left her previous, well paying job, to come a music college (on a FOUNDATION course! She's 24!).

Okay. I can deal with that.

Doesn't sound like it! Nothing wrong with doing what she's doing!

What was pissing me off, was the fact that she thinks she's better than everyone, because of her age. What does she expect? She's entered a foundation level course! GCSE level!

Okay, it's just the way you seemed to say "Oh me yarm she's 24 what the FUCK is she doing learning something she enjoys why didn't she do it when she was a kid!" I encounter plenty of mature students and I applaud them for taking the plunge, leaving comfortable incomes and going back into education to learn something they love. The second part isn't relevant to her age, so I didn't mention it.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

User avatar
tryptanymph
More metal than thou
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:42 pm UTC
Location: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby tryptanymph » Mon May 19, 2008 10:45 pm UTC

It kind of is. You'd think by 24, she'd have at least ONE person who said to her, "No, love, your voice sounds terrible, and you have such a narrow range, you will DIE."

Oh, and she joined this course on impulse. Found out about the college, said, "Oh me yarm", and joined up. The reason she was away for two weeks was because she had handed her notice in at work, and had to work.

At 24, you tend to think a little bit first, no? Especially when you leave a good paying job, with decent prospects, to go to college. On a foundation course!

I'm sorry... she just irritates me. She has NO redeeming features. Even when she's being nice, she insinuates things. She's also SUPER paranoid. We were practicing a song once, and as soon as she started wailing (not singing, she doesn't even DESERVE that fucking word), the tutor started sniggering quietly.

Afterwards, she started saying to all of us, CONSTANTLY, and despite the fact we were BLATANTLY trying not to hurt her feelings and tell her that he was, indeed, laughing at her awful voice, "Was he laughing at my voice?"

"Er... I don't know."

"But seriously, was he laughing at me?"

"Look, I told you, I DON'T KNOW."

"What was he laughing at then?"

"FOR FUCKS SAKE WOMAN! DON'T FUCKING PUT ME ON TRIAL! I DON'T FUCKING KNOW!"

If she had asked again, I would have cracked and told her, "YES. ARE YOU HAPPY? YOU SUCK. FUCK OFF."

But I don't want to do that. Too much tension would occur in the band. (Any more than there is now, and we could be used as a catapult spring.)
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

User avatar
DaMullet
Posts: 470
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:21 pm UTC
Location: Coming soon to a theatre near YOU!
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby DaMullet » Mon May 19, 2008 11:22 pm UTC

Here's a rant for you.

Girls. Women, ladies, chicks, the fairer sex. Enough said.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

User avatar
eternal luna
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:54 am UTC
Location: Сидней

Re: Rant Thread

Postby eternal luna » Mon May 19, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:Whenever people find out that I'm vegetarian their first sentence is usually "You're vegetarian?". After that it's either "I could never do that. I like meat too much." or they try to convince me that I should eat meat. Srsly, STFU plz. It's very rare I'd care much what you think about it, even if you're my best friend in the world ever who incidentally doesn't mention it at all until he finds himself eating meat in front of me and asks me if it's ok (it is) and then carries on.

THIS. Exactly. And then I get people who keep on telling me every fucking time I'm offered meat and politely refuse with a "Sorry, I'm a vegetarian" that I'm not really a vegetarian because I drink milk. Over and over and over again. Why the fuck do you get to dictate this? I don't eat meat, of any kind. I don't eat egg. There are people out there who call themselves fucking vegetarians when they eat fish! And chicken! And when asked about it, they say, "Well, fish are ugly, so I don't feel bad about eating them." Gah.

Ramses IV wrote:He must have an accent. Hmm. What kind of people have accents? British people!!!!!" I hate having to explain the whole thing to every Dick and Jane that asks.

I don't have a lisp, or any major problem with my speech, other than that I tend to slip into pronouncing all 'a's as the long 'a'- like "pl-AH-stic" and "b-AH-nd" (and I keep slipping into 3rd person speech when talking about myself. Not sure what that counts as though), but I get people continually asking me if I'm American. Literally every person I meet. And then I have to go through the whole story "No, I'm not, I'm half-Russian and half-Bengali, I haven't been outside of Australia since I was about 1 and a half, and no, I don't watch any TV." That's actually not that bad, it just gets frustrating on a day when I have to meet a lot of people.

What's worse? My name. "Paula Abul" =/= "Paula Abdul". Every time a new teacher marks the roll at school, any time I have to give my name anywhere, they always get it wrong. And then the awful jokes start. Eugh.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

User avatar
Ramses IV
Posts: 803
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:19 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Ramses IV » Mon May 19, 2008 11:47 pm UTC

eternal luna wrote:
thecommabandit wrote:Whenever people find out that I'm vegetarian their first sentence is usually "You're vegetarian?". After that it's either "I could never do that. I like meat too much." or they try to convince me that I should eat meat. Srsly, STFU plz. It's very rare I'd care much what you think about it, even if you're my best friend in the world ever who incidentally doesn't mention it at all until he finds himself eating meat in front of me and asks me if it's ok (it is) and then carries on.

THIS. Exactly. And then I get people who keep on telling me every fucking time I'm offered meat and politely refuse with a "Sorry, I'm a vegetarian" that I'm not really a vegetarian because I drink milk. Over and over and over again. Why the fuck do you get to dictate this? I don't eat meat, of any kind. I don't eat egg. There are people out there who call themselves fucking vegetarians when they eat fish! And chicken! And when asked about it, they say, "Well, fish are ugly, so I don't feel bad about eating them." Gah.

You'd still be a vegetarian, just not a vegan. A vegan does not eat any sort of animal products. A vegetarian just doesn't eat meat. And you're right. I have little respect for so-called "vegetarians" that eat seafood.
eternal luna wrote:
Ramses IV wrote:He must have an accent. Hmm. What kind of people have accents? British people!!!!!" I hate having to explain the whole thing to every Dick and Jane that asks.

I don't have a lisp, or any major problem with my speech, other than that I tend to slip into pronouncing all 'a's as the long 'a'- like "pl-AH-stic" and "b-AH-nd" (and I keep slipping into 3rd person speech when talking about myself. Not sure what that counts as though), but I get people continually asking me if I'm American. Literally every person I meet. And then I have to go through the whole story "No, I'm not, I'm half-Russian and half-Bengali, I haven't been outside of Australia since I was about 1 and a half, and no, I don't watch any TV." That's actually not that bad, it just gets frustrating on a day when I have to meet a lot of people.


Yeah, that's pretty much how it is with me.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blarbarragods and 26 guests