Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

|Erasmus|
Branson

Re: Rant Thread

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue May 20, 2008 12:14 am UTC

Ramses IV wrote:
eternal luna wrote:
thecommabandit wrote:Whenever people find out that I'm vegetarian their first sentence is usually "You're vegetarian?". After that it's either "I could never do that. I like meat too much." or they try to convince me that I should eat meat. Srsly, STFU plz. It's very rare I'd care much what you think about it, even if you're my best friend in the world ever who incidentally doesn't mention it at all until he finds himself eating meat in front of me and asks me if it's ok (it is) and then carries on.

THIS. Exactly. And then I get people who keep on telling me every fucking time I'm offered meat and politely refuse with a "Sorry, I'm a vegetarian" that I'm not really a vegetarian because I drink milk. Over and over and over again. Why the fuck do you get to dictate this? I don't eat meat, of any kind. I don't eat egg. There are people out there who call themselves fucking vegetarians when they eat fish! And chicken! And when asked about it, they say, "Well, fish are ugly, so I don't feel bad about eating them." Gah.

You'd still be a vegetarian, just not a vegan. A vegan does not eat any sort of animal products. A vegetarian just doesn't eat meat. And you're right. I have little respect for so-called "vegetarians" that eat seafood.

It's near impossible for those people to actually come up with a justifiable reason for their 'vegetarianism', if they only do it selectively.

Which is also the only thing I'd really want to say to someone who mentioned they are vegetarian (about it obviously. I don't hate you all and refuse to talk to you)... ask them why they are vegetarian. I always find it interesting to ask people with stances on things that aren't the default one why they are like that.

@luna: is there a reason you are only vegetarian, and not vegan? I've found that quite a few people who claim to be doing it for the animals sake also like to claim that dairy cows, etc. are treated badly in captivity, and it's therefore wrong to have milk/cheese/whatever... (I wouldn't know for sure, really, whether they are or not)

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Tue May 20, 2008 12:38 am UTC

The animals. Ever read "The Ethics of What We Eat"? That was the final thing that decided me. And the reason I drink milk? My parents are jerks. The first time I tried to go vego, they forced meat down my throat. Literally. They did the same thing with milk. I just didn't see it as worth it to keep trying against it, we already don't have any peace at home, and they're on the verge of getting a divorce (I'm actually a little happy about this. Maybe more than a little :oops: ), etc. I feel like, hey, at least I'm doing a bigger part than most people, I usually take soy milk, try to buy everything that's grown sustainably by workers who are paid fairly and such, but the problem is that I'm 15. I just can't afford to pay for all my own food, and my parents refuse to do it for me. So I'm stuck, but I will probably figure it out once I move out. Right now, the thought of meat or eggs makes me nauseous, but I think I wouldn't be so averse to eating eggs and dairy if I agreed with the way the animals were cared for.

Edit: Also- the amount of feed and water it takes to raise animals. That could make up much more food for people than a slab of meat.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Tue May 20, 2008 8:18 am UTC

I have to say... all the meat I eat (except for fast food, but I discount that as crap) is free range and organic. They are well treated up until the point they are slaughtered.

But shows and books regarding HOW the cows become burgers and so on have never bothered me. Maybe it's because I don't fill in the blanks with my mind, and I don't relate this process directly to my food.

Hm. Something to think about.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Tue May 20, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

2 major things in mind that piss me off:

1: I am not Canadian.
I am English, Northern English to be precise, therefore I have an accent that is not particularily high-brow English. I phone US companies fairly often at work and for some reason you always ask us if we're Canadian.
Now I can understand you've never heard a Yorkshire accent before, even if I'm putting my posh phone voice on. Thats really understandable.
But how do you confuse a Canadian accent with an English one? How? They're nothing alike! On a business trip in Conneticut my Boss (with the finance manager) had someone ask if he was from Canada whilst speaking face to face!

2: Rock bands with a female singer who sings in an American accent.
Really, love, just no. Stop being silly. You sound ridiculous with your indulgent songs about your ex boyfriend.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue May 20, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

ADVERTS!!!

Infernal bloody things. I've just settled down after a long day, with a nice cold beer, ready to catch up on Scrubs, House, Lost, whatever. Then the sodding adverts start up just before my bum touches the sofa. Sodding things, I swear whoever schedules the adverts must have some sort of surveillance system trained on me. It's bloody infallible. I go to sit down with a beer -> the adverts start. :evil:

And why do they have to be so bloody loud? You get the volume to an acceptable level while watching the program, but the adverts are at least twice as loud. So you have to scramble for the woofer, and fumble with the buttons to turn the volume down before your house-mates come in and give you the old stink-eye. It's especially bad for me, since the scariest person in my house has her bedroom right next to the living room, behind a thin thin wall.

I especially hate those pseudo-science-bullshit adverts. WTF is a penta-peptide?!? And why is this particular advert BOASTING that its product has "dermabrasion" technology? All it means is skin-rubbing. "Come and buy our product - it has dermabrasion granules in it. A revolutionary new technology!" Get out of here, you pricks! Is there actually anybody out there moronic enough to fall for that bullshit?

I swear, adverts have got to be the scourge of my telly-watching existence. :evil:

Edit: Now THAT's a proper rant, guys.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Tue May 20, 2008 6:08 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Some pussy rant

My rant was better.

I kid, I kid.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Tue May 20, 2008 6:54 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:ADVERTS!!!

I hear you buddy. Particularly guilty are Danone Activia, with their perfectly non-actor 30yr old obese women talking about how one yoghurt pot with Fraud-scam-cygen bacteria saved their lives. Not only is it awful non-science, the ad itself is very loud in comparison to others. On top of that, the Award for Scam of the Month goes to Omega-3. Oi, pushy parents with kids bunking off at your local comprehensive! I'm sorry, but feeding your horrors little fish-shaped tablets with a chemical they only decided to give a name to 3 years ago will not revolutionise their SATs results and make them alert and raring to go at 9am!

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Tue May 20, 2008 7:03 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:ADVERTS!!!

Infernal bloody things. I've just settled down after a long day, with a nice cold beer, ready to catch up on Scrubs, House, Lost, whatever. Then the sodding adverts start up just before my bum touches the sofa. Sodding things, I swear whoever schedules the adverts must have some sort of surveillance system trained on me. It's bloody infallible. I go to sit down with a beer -> the adverts start. :evil:

And why do they have to be so bloody loud? You get the volume to an acceptable level while watching the program, but the adverts are at least twice as loud. So you have to scramble for the woofer, and fumble with the buttons to turn the volume down before your house-mates come in and give you the old stink-eye. It's especially bad for me, since the scariest person in my house has her bedroom right next to the living room, behind a thin thin wall.

I especially hate those pseudo-science-bullshit adverts. WTF is a penta-peptide?!? And why is this particular advert BOASTING that its product has "dermabrasion" technology? All it means is skin-rubbing. "Come and buy our product - it has dermabrasion granules in it. A revolutionary new technology!" Get out of here, you pricks! Is there actually anybody out there moronic enough to fall for that bullshit?

I swear, adverts have got to be the scourge of my telly-watching existence. :evil:

Edit: Now THAT's a proper rant, guys.

Despite how much I agree with you, I must admit how odd I found the slang/jargon/country-specific words you used. I mean, I understood you perfectly, I just had to pause a moment to think "Wait, what does that mean?" It's making me curious. Do people from other countries have the same experience when Americans (or any other foreigner, I guess) tell a story? Are there words or phrases that sometimes you can't understand or have different words for than in American English?
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

Mensch

Postby Mensch » Tue May 20, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

"AW man I am all kinds of gangsta-tuff, I will assert my toughlicousness by...Pulling the emergency break on the school busses! HECK YES, SEVERE INCONVENIENCE. Also, I will howl for half the ride about how I'm ) -SOTOTALLY- gonna pull that thing, even if I do not actually pull it!"

/gragh public transportation gragh

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Tue May 20, 2008 8:56 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:PEOPLE WHO FIND IT NECESSARY TO POINT OUT THAT I HAVE LONG HAIR.

I know I have long hair, and I you don't have to go, "Oh me yarm YOU HAVE LONG HAIR" like it's just sprung from my scalp, GAH!

Wait, you mean I'm not the only person this happens to?
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Tue May 20, 2008 8:58 pm UTC

Mensch wrote:AW man I be all kinds of gangsta-tuff

Fixed...
多么现在棕色母牛?

Masuri

Postby Masuri » Tue May 20, 2008 9:02 pm UTC

Holy cow, I am getting old.

I see these early 20s kids walking around with this shaggy hair like they are so cool and all I can think is that they look like a Greg Brady wannabes. "Cut that hair, you hippy" must surely be the precursor to "get off my lawn!"

Le sigh.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Tue May 20, 2008 9:52 pm UTC

Latest rant:

What happened to the "Math" thread? I spent about 30 minutes writing out my very nice and intelligent answer instead of working.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Tue May 20, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I especially hate those pseudo-science-bullshit adverts. WTF is a penta-peptide?!? And why is this particular advert BOASTING that its product has "dermabrasion" technology? All it means is skin-rubbing. "Come and buy our product - it has dermabrasion granules in it. A revolutionary new technology!" Get out of here, you pricks! Is there actually anybody out there moronic enough to fall for that bullshit?

Once I saw an advert for this stuff called DNAge. It was an anti-aging cream that claimed that it rejuvenated your DNA to give you healthier looking skin.

I fell off the sofa laughing. Seriously. I fell off.

Hair adverts are rich too. The ones that claim to have "nutrilium" in them. Never knew they discovered a new, stable element that they could make in large enough quantities to put into cosmetics, much less that it makes your hair shinier and healthier.

Re: Bands with girls
I get pissed off at most punk/indie bands that have women in them. It's nothing particularly sexist; it's just that if they're all girls they're a complete gimmick and won't last a week, and I get bored of the girl either being the bassist, the vocalist or the guitarist. Indie's meant to stand for independant guys, get a girl drummer or keyboardist or something. Jeez.[/unreasonable criticism]

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue May 20, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote: I get bored of the girl either being the bassist, the vocalist or the guitarist....[/unreasonable criticism]

Er... yeah. Heaven forbid a girl should be a member of the band...
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

phaiakia

Postby phaiakia » Tue May 20, 2008 10:51 pm UTC

Once, when I was in college, I was out to dinner with a friend and some of his friends, whom I had never met before. They asked me, "What is your major, like, retail and consumer sciences? Or communications?" (Both majors which, at the particular college I went to, are regarded as ridiculously easy.)

I smiled and politely answered, "No, it's physics."
(And mentally added, "And I'm graduating Summa Cum Laude/Phi Beta Kappa, bitch.")

I HATE being judged based on my appearance. Just because I am a young, attractive female, doesn't mean that I can't be smart. And now that I'm out in the "real world," people judge me on my appearance even more frequently. F the real world, I'm going back to grad school. </rant>

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Tue May 20, 2008 10:56 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:What is wrong with people!!? Seriously, how is it possible for adults to feel that they have the right to take out their petty resentments towards a person on some random kid that's related to that person?

Spoilered for longness and stuff:
Spoiler:
stuff

I'd talk her down till she went off and offed herself, or tried to shoot me. One of the two. Crazy bitch.

Oh, and for the enjoyment of the masses, spoilers on various rants. My only current rant is
Spoiler:
the GI bill doesn't pay for all of school, and it requires you to actually have money to pay for school before you go through it. the Hazlewood act is much better, but I can't have that until after the federal funding from the GI bill is used up. I wonder if I can argue that it takes place after the fed funding is used up, and therefor should pay for my tuition completely regardless of whether the GI bill is still active or not. Stupid cunts...

And now for some other rants, by topic.

Regarding the country song where the chick trashes the dudes truck, combined with some chick telling me about what she did last night to someone's car.
Spoiler:
I'm not sure how the rest of you roll, but if my car was vandalized by some ex-girlfriend, because of some stupid reason, I'd beat the living shit out of her, and whoever helped her out. You'll be surprised how much vandalizing you can do to a body.

You don't vandalize someones property just because you're pissed off at them. This isnt a fucking TV show, nomatter how much people like to pretend it is. All that does is create more drama, and in the end, someone ends up getting hurt, or worse, murdered.

If you have a problem with someone, discuss it with them. Discuss it with cops. Discuss it with a lawyer. Discuss it with a priest.

Get the fuck over yourself.

There's plenty of legal ways to handle a dispute, rather than throwing a fucking child's tantrum and destroying other peoples shit.

I fucking hate you drama people. I hope you die. Die alot.

And no, this wasnt because my car was vandalized. It wasn't. It was because I started talking to someone, and she told me she had been out with her best friend vandalizing her best friend's ex-bf's car, beacuse he's a deadbeat dad. Now, while I dislike deadbeat dads just as much as the next person, since I believe if you're a man you should own up to shit you did, I still don't think they did what was right. Tell the cops. If he hasn't been paying child support, he gets his taxes raped. He gets his W2 raped. He can't get a license to do anything, drive or hunt or fish. And if he still doesn't pay, he eventually goes to jail and gets his ass raped.

That would have been the proper thing to do, not go and trash his car with your friend, to get some sort of perverse sense of justice out of it. If anything, that gets you in legal problems, and even though he owes you money, he can sue you. It also has a nifty habit of getting your child taken away from you, for breaking the law, and proving you're not fit to be a fucking parent.

And for those of you fucktards who think you got away with it, don't worry. You may know all the police, but even out of an entire police district, there's bound to be at least one cop that's capable of doing the right thing. I hope you get caught. They can do wonders with the tiniest bit of evidence, such as oh, a fucking hair. We all know how women shed. Ya'll leave hair everywhere. fingerprints, motive (such as your friend having an aggrievance with the individual) etc.

For all the odds and ends I've done over the years, trashing someones shit just to be spiteful hasn't been something I've done since I was a little kid. I don't even remember if I did it then. Idiots. :\

Arguments that quickly divulge off topic.
Spoiler:
So I was talking with a friend of mine about how I don't eat birds because they're flat out disgusting creatures. This somehow evolved into a conversation about dogs, and about how I don't believe in purebreeding animals, and relating it to the Nazi's view on the world.

Maybe I was wrong? I doubt it.
The concept sounds familiar.

You take a collection of the breed you want, and you breed it into itself, and eliminate any other strains from the gene pool. (I'm good at genetics :..) By elimination, I mean you keep the dogs you want, and either kill off, which used to happen frequently, and still does in some places, or prevent them from breeding by lopping off their various bits, before you give them away or sell them. The only people allowed to breed the dogs are people with special licenses. Alot of breeders even require you to sign a contract, allowing them to take the dog back should you do anything you're not supposed to. (I know this because I've looked into getting a purebred dog before)

Now, let us refresh ourselves.

The Nazis in Germany did what to the non-Germans, specifically the Jews and Muslims? To prevent them from messing up the pure German stock, as part of Hitler's "ubermensch" program? So, how is purebreeding dogs different from Nazis?

By sheer superiority complex. [insert sarcasm here] People are better than dogs and therefore its ok for us to do what we want to other species. [/sarcasm] Its one thing to try to keep dogs and wolves seperate, or cats and tigers and lions and such. They're all different critters. But, keeping dogs and dogs seperated, for financial reasons, is ludicrous. Now, while I'm against that, I'm not saying pure strains arent useful for some purposes. Drug testing and such like that, with a pure colony of bacteria and such, is very useful, allowing us to anticipate results, and changes. But, I highly doubt those same people that advocate purebreed dogs, would advocate the use of purebreed dogs for test subjects.

The best part about that whole conversation is my friend got pissed off at me for saying that, kept telling me I didn't know shit about what I was talking about, that I didn't know shit about the jewish holocaust, or dog breeding. And one even better part, she refused to provide a different way of thinking. Instead, she called me ignorant for having a single minded point of view (which I don't, I understand the need for certain breeds of dogs, but not purebreeds [those filthy muggles]), got pissed off, and logged off. Not, however, before I called her a Nazi :D haha. We can all pull low punches.

Don't argue with me without at least having some facts, and an alternate way of viewing things.

Oh, and in before God people trying to agree with me. My way of view is kinda an Einsteinian approach, God created nature, thus ends God's involvement. We're just a screensaver, we might as well try to look like a good one by doing some good deeds in the universes. Egh, if I keep explaining myself, this is going to turn into a book or something.

Race
Spoiler:
Fuck all these racists.

All you black people from America, you're black. not african american. you weren't born in Africa. Get the fuck over it.

The same applies to all of you asians, hispanics, whites, and whatnot.

Native Americans: NOONE CARES. GET THE FUCK OVER IT. Just because you cling to tribal traditions, doesn't mean you deserve anything special over other americans. You should get taxes and such just the same as everyone else. That, or we can just set up border checkpoints at every fucking camp, and require you to have a passport to come into America.

White people: STAND UP FOR YOURSELVES. No this doesnt mean lash out against other races. But, instead of writing WHITE on forms in the race section, where any other option actually gets you special treatment. Check OTHER, and list every bloodline you think you have.

Screw all these people that get special treatment based on their race.

Anyone read Animal farm? The part about the pigs, where everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others? FUCK THAT.

Everyone has the right to be hated equally.

Natural selection
Spoiler:
natural selection
–noun ..> ..> ..>
the process by which forms of life having traits that better enable them to adapt to specific environmental pressures, as predators, changes in climate, or competition for food or mates, will tend to survive and reproduce in greater numbers than others of their kind, thus ensuring the perpetuation of those favorable traits in succeeding generations.

What that means, is that people that are born genetically messed up, like to the point of needing major help surviving until puberty, probably dont need to survive, and its not helping the human race in the least to let them survive and procreate. All this aided survival and breeding, when its a genetic problem, and they are still of breeding age, its not helping the species at all. If you're older than the breeding age, then hey, help those old people out as much as possible to survive and spread their knowledge to the younger generation.

I realize, that alot of people have a friend or child or something that is messed up as such, and they'll get all pissy if they say anything about that. The instinct to protect your offspring is in your genes. You evolved that by enough children with shitty parents dying off that the ones with good parents survived long enough to breed and take care of their own.

You should have enough respect for the human race as a whole to realize that if your child that needs help to exist at all lives long enough to procreate, that theres a good chance that his messed up genes will be passed to his kids, and his kids will have the same exact problem. The same issue goes for people that cant get it up, that cant procreate without a really tiny needle and tweezers, etc. If you cant breed, then you don't need to be breeding. Do something useful with your life, try to benefit humanity in some other aspect. The more healthy ones that survive, the more healthy ones will be born. The less people have to worry about their child dying.

On that same note, however, those of you who fuck like bunnies and retards, choose your mate carefully. Women. Be Picky. Men. You wont listen anyway, go right on doing your own thing. Its great and all that some of you wait till your at least past the age of 20 to have children. that means that theres a higher chance of your kids not being all fucked up before they hit age 20. Those of you getting knocked up when your 15 and such, your making it harder for the human race to survive. Longetivity is highly based on the fact that theres less genetic problems by the time you reach the age of procreation. If the age of procreation gets younger and younger then those with bad genes after that age will have already spread their genes. Look at the longest lived animals in the world. Some of them arent even capable of having kids until they're 30. The species will stay younger longer and live to an older age if people keep their shit in their pants until they reach a slightly older age than the average breeding age.

I'm pro letting people make decisions for the betterment of humanity. Sometimes thats pro life, but more than often, its not.

As for you PC people. Fuck off. I cant stand people telling me that oooohh it hurts someones feelings when you tell them what they are. African americans, your not. You're just americans. Mentally Handicapped, face it, your retarded.

Stupid religious types
Spoiler:
I don't see where some people come off, trying to debase entire religious structures, based on 1 or 2 books, of which are fairly recent. There's a theory going around that Catholicism is actually a cult made by ancient babylonian priests. Their proof of that is the diety view that theres a Holy Trinity. They claim that it shows the 1st king and queen of babylon and their son. They also try to claim some babble about the symbol of the cross. They claim that just because that pagan cultures had the cross, that its symbolism in Catholicism is proof that we're a whole bunch of yuppies. Now, for anyone who knows a half damn about history, crucifixion is a common type of Roman execution. They nail you to a cross (or a t shape, same thing) and stick u upright, and you generally suffocate due to having nothing to stand on. If they wanted you to suffer, they stuck a block there, and you'd be able to breathe, and die alot slower. The only reason that the cross is a Catholic symbol, is because "Jesus died for our sins" and therefor the way he died serves as a mental reminder of that. The cross has nothing to do with pagan beliefs being related to ours, its just a method of execution.

So, saying that Catholics are actually an evil cult, just for stupid things like that, will get you kicked square in the cooter.

As for the belief of some other Christians, saying that other religions are all evil babylonian cults too, for having the same cross shapes and trees and yadda yadda yadda, Get bent. Some of those religions are older than the civilization of babylon itself. Other side of the world too.

The moral of this spoiler is that some Christians are stupid yuppies that are probably some part of an ancient Babylonian cult.

Relationships
Spoiler:
Have you ever wondered why some guys are complete dicks in relationships, and some women are complete and utter bitches? Or, if you were trying to get with someone, and then suddenly got blown off for absolutely no reason?

Some guys are complete dicks because they got heartbroken, and instead of trying to bounce back, due to inability to cope, or lack of resources (family, friends, etc), they became depressed for awhile, and then the depression went and turned itself into being pissed off at females at large. It may not even be a conscious resentment, sometimes it just happens. But, they inevitably go and fuck around and break hearts and such and such.

Guys arent the only problem, girls do the same damn thing. they think just because some guy treated them bad and broke their heart, that means that they should go and be fucking pinche towards the next nice guy that comes along. Be nice, get along great, and then boom. gone like the Flash. Try to find out what you did wrong? Hell no, you're not even good enough for that kind of answer. The guy got too close too fast. Girl got scared of being heartbroken, and the best defense is a good offense. So, boom. guy is heartbroken

Cycle repeats, back and forth.

Now, don't get me wrong, thats never the only excuse, sometimes men go and cheat, sometimes women go and cheat, or some other random thing happens.

Oh, and sometimes some guys are just dicks and some girls are just cunts. Reality cant really account for them. But most humans like relationships, of some sort at least.

Solution. Break the cycle.

Don't automatically assume the guy is going to fuck you over. Sure, some guys just reek of going to fuck you over. But, if a guy seems nice, doesnt start licking your ass the second he sees you, etc, give him a chance. Maybe it'll go somewhere.

Give girls a chance, they don't always turn out to be vapid cunts. hell, sometimes they just change their mind 400000 times a second. Just because she doesn't call you back immediately doesnt mean she's ignoring you, she might be just busy.

If they cheat on you, think, did you do something like cheat on them first? can't be angry at them for doing the same thing you did. However, if you didn't then you should probably break it off.

If you' break it off, explain it to them why you're doing it, and ignore their whining. Don't just suddenly stop talking to them, because then they don't know what they did wrong. Explain things rationally, allow them to apologize or get mad or whatever the fuck they wanna do, and then go your seperate ways.

Stupid Myspace Bulletins
Spoiler:
Just thought I'd talk about this here nifty little bulletin I saw.

Random thought promoted by morons for morons:
"The devil wasn't just watching Jesus die on the cross...he was laughing."

// The devil more likely than not did not feel any remorse or glee from the death of Jesus, because a lack of free will (angels) gives them a lack of feeling. Yay for apathy.

Some art for the fans:
"insert queer looking cross made of ascii letters"

// This message is important because some fucktard took the time to draw a badly designed picture out of letters. I've definitly seen much more intricate ascii pictures, to include crosses.

Enter repost instructions that say that you're going to hell unless you suck off a priest somewhere:
"Repost this saying Delete (one of your best friends) ! (unless you are promoting satan)."

// Because we all know, omnipotent beings take MySpace and teh interwebs so seriously. OMFGZ fi u dun leik repost ure teh gheyz0r!!!oneoneoneeleventyone.

Insert God is emo rant here:
"Remember:The Bible says, "IF YOU DENY ME BEFORE MAN, THAN I WILL DENY YOU BEFORE MY FATHER"

// Chances are, if I'm not a bible thumper, I could give a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut about some quote the 300000th bible translation and rewording said. If its not written on a scroll thats encased in 3 feet of glass and falling apart, I prolly don't care too much about it.

// Most people that post and repost bulletins like this need to be beaten to death with their own tripe filled book, and then strung up on a nifty piece of woodwork. They're annoying, most of the time quite misleading, and generally are almost as annoying as being told theres magical pills that make my penis grow 3 more inches. I'm pretty sure I don't need that, or them.

General religious rant
Spoiler:
My good ol' views on religion. Fun fun. I believe that sure, there probably is a God. But, if there is a God, he can't be the only one. It's possible that he sections little bits of himself off to handle specific details about the universe, but that in itself is justifiably other little gods. So therefor, I believe in a kind of paganistic fashion, as to there being multiple gods, with a HighGod. I also believe that the gods help those who help themselves. I guess that makes me kinda agnostic? I believe in Christ, and that it is possible that a god created his soul and sent it to live among the damned, to try and convert more to his side. That makes me Catholic (actually it makes me christian, but I prefer the catholic's views as to the standard 3rd party non-denom views)(yay alcohol!) As for the whole Adam and Eve view. Fuck no. I believe in evolution, I think as far as the Highgod went in his meddling was causing the big bang, and letting shit go on as it wants to, with all minor meddling up to his subcomponents. The whole man started out perfect in the long run could in no way be possible, even if there was a magical sin-fruit that when eaten causes badness. Lillith was the first female created, but she was created evil instead of good, she transformed herself into the snake that made Eve's nonthinking arse eat the fruit. I think its a pretty jacked up storyline, made by people that wished that they were the nearest to perfect creations to god possible, when they were in no way close. As for steve, steve was a manifestation created by religious know-nothings to make a cheerful little ryming bash against queers, which I don't condone, but I do understand is some other peoples way of life. Eve and Lillith however, shit, I'm a guy, I'm allowed to have fantasies. I'm sure some chicks think about Adam and Steve, or Adam and Steve and themselves. -shrug- Shit, some even think about Eve and Lillith. But anyways, I think the best way to classify myself in the religious world would be to call myself an openminded Catholic/agnostic/pagan mix. On another note, just like the old Celts and Norse used to believe, I believe that one can imbue items with souls, it being a power that the gods didnt keep just to themselves. I believe if you cherish something long enough, it develops a soul and a personality, hence why some people dont like certain objects. me, I refuse to buy an actual house that other people have already lived in. I think if the house had alot of turmoil in it, the house will develope a personality to reflect that, and thus just make a downward spiral that can only be fixed with time. Hence, fresh start. New House. I also believe that by helping create the object imparts a part of your soul into it, thus making it more attuned to you. So when you make something, put effort into it, the more effort and care you put, the more care it gives you back.

People that don't realize they're preggo
Spoiler:
Ok people, so today I learned from one of the people I talk to that pregnancy is one of those things that sneaks up on you. Somehow I don't believe that. I think for someone to be surprised that they are pregnant, after enough time for someone else to think that its big enough to be twins, well thats just god putting a sign on ur belly saying if you cant notice this you need to be shot. I mean, jesus, its not like there arent a few billion clues that ur preggo. unless of course ur a fat alcoholic with memory issues. then ur excused. from life. everyone else tho, theres a few signs

1. guy nuts inside you. be prepared that it might happen. specially if you dont take any birth control shit to deal with that. i mean crap, unless you got some magical hormonal control to prevent things, its the base means of reproducing for humans.

2. you miss a few periods. the first one isnt nessesarily a sign, it might just be alittle late. the second one is a bit better of a clue. the 3rd one well hell, if ya dont think bout gettin tested then ur fucking stupid.

3.your eating alot more. and i seriously mean alot more. not an extra burger for one of the meals in ur week. i mean like an extra burger and fries at every meal.

4. morning sickness. from what im told, it happens. alcoholism can explain this, but what about those days u dont drink and ur still puking all the time?

5. you may have noticed by now that ur tummy isnt quite as small as say alicia silverstone's. hey for u larger people out there, theres still a size change. for you obese people out there, stop eating, maybe the baby will help with that disgusting problem u already have hanging around ur gut.

6. if for some CRAZY reason you havnt noticed that, theres always the whole I need to pee thing. if your bladder has dramatically changed its size, and ur fat, then you needa start thinking about the rest of the list. like thinking about how long its been since uve had a period. other than that, go see a docter, it might be an infection of some sort.

7. you go into labor. put the kid up for adoption and shoot yourself for not noticing that u were preggo. the kid will have a much better life, and the world will be a better place without the stupid people.

I'm sure theres a great many other signs, but like I said, its not one of those magical things that sneaks up on you. God doesnt go up to a woman and slap her with a preggo stick, thus making her suddenly into a completely different trimester. I'm sure somebody is going to be really pissed off at me for writing this, hell i'm pretty sure ive already lost a friend because i said I cant believe someone is that stupid (it was one of her friends) so yea, leave a comment, either agreeing or stating another point as to why I'm wrong. it better be a damn valid point, otherwise I'm probably going to rip into you.

There were some other ones, but Myspace deleted them :( Stupid myspace.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Tue May 20, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

Here's another minor rant about "African-Americans"... (not racist don't delete kthnxplz)

I was talking to a friend the other day, and she said, "Oh, I have lots of African-American friends..."

We live in Britain.

Most of these "African-Americans" were born in England, for a start.

Some of them their parents come from Trinidad and Tobago, not Africa.

Now... forgive me if I'm wrong... HOW THE FUCK ARE THESE PEOPLE AFRICAN-AMERICANS?! I'm all for Basic Human Decency, but I happily call black people black, and they don't care. Just because they are black doesn't mean you have to pussyfoot around them. They know they are black. We know they are black. We are all one big, happy, interracial family. SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT THEM BEING AFRICAN-AMERICANS.

[/rant]

Edited a few times to clear up messy wording.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Tue May 20, 2008 11:16 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:Here's another minor rant about "African-Americans"... (not racist don't delete kthnxplz)

I was talking to a friend the other day, and she said, "Oh, I have lots of African-American friends..."

We live in Britain.

Most of these "African-Americans" were born in England, for a start.

Some of them their parents come from Trinidad and Tobago, not Africa.

Now... forgive me if I'm wrong... HOW THE FUCK ARE THESE PEOPLE AFRICAN-AMERICANS?! I'm all for Basic Human Decency, but I happily call black people black, and they don't care. Just because they are black doesn't mean you have to pussyfoot around them. They know they are black. We know they are black. We are all one big, happy, interracial family. SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT THEM BEING AFRICAN-AMERICANS.

[/rant]

Edited a few times to clear up messy wording.

In fact, from part of my understanding, there's a relatively big group of black people that find the term African-American degrading. It's probably doubly so for you since you're not even in America. I once read a book (maybe it was one of George Carlin's?) that had a small rant on this same subject. So is a caucasian born in Africa, who moved to America later in his adult life, an African-American? Well, is he?
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Wed May 21, 2008 4:41 am UTC

Rantette: My physics lecturer who doesn't put up the lecturer notes the night before so I have to battle for a computer at uni and pay to print the notes. [/pointlessness]

ishikiri wrote:Latest rant:
What happened to the "Math" thread? I spent about 30 minutes writing out my very nice and intelligent answer instead of working.

It got merged
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Wed May 21, 2008 10:22 am UTC

Luthen wrote:Rantette: My physics lecturer who doesn't put up the lecturer notes the night before so I have to battle for a computer at uni and pay to print the notes. [/pointlessness]

ishikiri wrote:Latest rant:

It got merged

Ah thanks!

Aw no-ones responded. Validate me Dammit!

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Wed May 21, 2008 12:25 pm UTC

Masuri wrote:Holy cow, I am getting old.

I see these early 20s kids walking around with this shaggy hair like they are so cool and all I can think is that they look like a Greg Brady wannabes. "Cut that hair, you hippy" must surely be the precursor to "get off my lawn!"

Le sigh.

I -am- 20, and have already gotten to use the 'get off my lawn' line on a bunch of kids hanging around outside my house thinking it was fun and exciting to smash glass all over the road.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Wed May 21, 2008 11:10 pm UTC

I always get annoyed at myself when someone calls the phone for someone besides me and they're not here, and I forget to take a message. It's really a bad habit that I need to break. Example conversation:

*Ring ring*

Me: Hello?

Other Guy: Hello. Is Jeff there?

Me: Nope. He's at: (name a local restaurant).

OG: Oh...

*long pause*

Me: Bye.

OG: Bye.

*hang up*

Me 30 seconds later: Gah!! I should have asked to take a message!

And then I'm filled with guilt for the rest of the day.
My Blag

Yawgmoth

Postby Yawgmoth » Thu May 22, 2008 12:54 am UTC

Masuri wrote:Holy cow, I am getting old.

Le sigh.

I like yelling at people to get off my lawn. I'm 24 and I live in an apartment. The reactions are great.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Thu May 22, 2008 6:37 am UTC

Tiny rant: Most of my friends are planning to be engineers/computer scientists/mathematicians, etc. We're a bunch of nerds. Not surprising, considering I'm on these fora. But what really drives me insane is that just because I have not dedicated my life (yet) to something like engineering, for some reason they all assume I am somehow worse at math and science than they are. Even when I do well in the class, they generally expect that I'm doing poorly or are just lucky. :x

It makes me mad. Just because I actually have interests in addition to math/science does not make me incompetent in those subjects. Enjoying Lit doesn't mean I don't understand calculus. Why do people act like this?!
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

fuschia

Postby fuschia » Thu May 22, 2008 9:48 am UTC

The Reaper wrote: people who don't realise they're pregnant

Apparently on the pill you can get pregnant, having missed no pills (ie you may have had vomiting/diarrhoea or antibiotics that interfered), have 'periods' throughout the pregnancy, and then give birth. That just scares me shitless. I mean obviously most people notice eventually because of the belly, but if the baby's resting higher up, under the ribcage, it can be inconspicuous for a long time. *gibbers in paranoia*

Rantette: people who attribute my personality traits to my gender: so my (female) tutor says I'm acting like a female stereotype by being overly self-effacing in class...can't I just be crap without it being linked to me being a girl? I'm not a fucking ambassador for women. I don't know if there IS some connection, but I sure as hell don't think she would have told an aggressive, arrogant guy to stop behaving like a male stereotype - and certainly wouldn't accuse a shy guy of 'acting like a stereotypical girl'. It doesn't exactly help my confidence, it just gives me another thing to be self-conscious about - am I challenging stereotyped gender roles in all my day to day activities? Am I betraying my feminist beliefs by not being confident enough? It's hard enough just trying not to be crap and shy in class, without linking it up to all these bigger things. :x

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Thu May 22, 2008 9:57 am UTC

kellsbells wrote:Enjoying Lit doesn't mean I don't understand calculus.

This! It's almost as if people consider those two interests as incompatible. And as though it's an either/or thing.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Thu May 22, 2008 11:36 am UTC

Ramses IV wrote:I always get annoyed at myself when someone calls the phone for someone besides me and they're not here, and I forget to take a message. It's really a bad habit that I need to break. Example conversation:

*short play*

I remember to take messages but forget to inform the people they're for.

fuschia wrote:

Apparently on the pill you can get pregnant, having missed no pills (ie you may have had vomiting/diarrhoea or antibiotics that interfered), have 'periods' throughout the pregnancy, and then give birth. That just scares me shitless. I mean obviously most people notice eventually because of the belly, but if the baby's resting higher up, under the ribcage, it can be inconspicuous for a long time. *gibbers in paranoia*

WTF? That's impossible, 1) that would mean the baby is on the wrong side of the diaphragm, 2) there's enough trouble fitting a baby and women's lungs in one person at the same time anyway.

eternal luna wrote:
kellsbells wrote:Enjoying Lit doesn't mean I don't understand calculus.

This! It's almost as if people consider those two interests as incompatible. And as though it's an either/or thing.

For most people it is. Not for us luckily. I biased my year 12 to maths and sciences but still scored top marks in English and Geography.

The only good thing is that now I'm doing a Bachelor of Science where we have to do one non-science subject for every three science subjects. Thus when people ask me my subjects I reply "Biology, Maths Advanced, Physics Advanced and... Creative Writing". People's expressions are hilarious when they hear the last one (most science students are doing semi-science subjects). It'll be even better next semester when I'm doing Anthropology.

fuschia

Postby fuschia » Thu May 22, 2008 11:49 am UTC

Luthen wrote:
fuschia wrote:

WTF? That's impossible, 1) that would mean the baby is on the wrong side of the diaphragm, 2) there's enough trouble fitting a baby and women's lungs in one person at the same time anyway.

Um, yeah, I realise that... :| I meant under as in...below, not actually inside the ribcage. Some people's bumps show a lot less than others, because of abdomen shape/ amount of subcutaneous fat/how high the bump rests. Although I think we can all agree that ribcage babies being born alien style would be pretty sweet.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Thu May 22, 2008 12:10 pm UTC

Yeah I know what you mean (I sometimes post stuff that doesn't make sense either).

Can't believe I missed the possible chest-burster reference. *Goes a grovels before Queenie* Queenie's our alien-queen bobble head

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Thu May 22, 2008 3:15 pm UTC

dear dunkin donuts,

stop screwing up my god damn coffee. when i say "black, no sugar" i want neither milk or sugar in it, so please stop putting one or both in when i order it. thanks.

fuck you. thanks for consistently screwing up my morning.

in addition they fucked up my god damn bagel. thanks for toasting it to oblivion. </3
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Thu May 22, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

segmentation fault wrote:dear dunkin donuts,

stop screwing up my god damn coffee. when i say "black, no sugar" i want neither milk or sugar in it, so please stop putting one or both in when i order it. thanks.

fuck you. thanks for consistently screwing up my morning.

in addition they fucked up my god damn bagel. thanks for toasting it to oblivion. </3

I think that restaurants (especially fast food type things) should only make what they're supposed to make. Stop infringing on everyone else's domain! Take McDonald's for example. Burgers? Cool. Make as many burgers as you want. Fries? Milkshakes? Chicken Nuggets? That's cool. These are all classics. Staples of the McMenu. Salad? Coffee? Fish? Burritos? No. Just stop it. Fight the corporate machine!

This rant is only semi-serious. Just FYI.
My Blag

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 22, 2008 8:21 pm UTC

Ramses IV wrote:I always get annoyed at myself when someone calls the phone for someone besides me and they're not here, and I forget to take a message. It's really a bad habit that I need to break. Example conversation:

*Ring ring*

Me: Hello?

Other Guy: Hello. Is Jeff there?

Me: Nope. He's at: (name a local restaurant).

OG: Oh...

*long pause*

Me: Bye.

OG: Bye.

*hang up*

Me 30 seconds later: Gah!! I should have asked to take a message!

Don't feel guilty. If OG wanted to leave a message, as you said "Bye" they would have said, "Uh.. can you tell him I called?"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Thu May 22, 2008 8:32 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

blah blah blah

Don't feel guilty. If OG wanted to leave a message, as you said "Bye" they would have said, "Uh.. can you tell him I called?"

Yeah, but you don't think the long pause indicates that the OG's waiting for something?
My Blag

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Thu May 22, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

The medics, who make up most of the people who live in my halls, forgetting that just because they've finished their exams that doesn't mean that everybody else has, and indeed some people (like most of the engineers and some of the material scientists) have exams tomorrow morning. I WANT TO REVISE GODAMNIT, and no, I don't want to have to walk to the library to do something I should be able to do in my flat without this much distraction.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri May 23, 2008 12:32 am UTC

Luthen wrote:
eternal luna wrote:This! It's almost as if people consider those two interests [lit and calculus] as incompatible. And as though it's an either/or thing.

For most people it is.

I don't think so. Most of the people I know who like to think (and are good at it) enjoy many different kinds of thought. Most math/science/engineering people I know also enjoy a good book. I don't know many lit geeks, though, so I don't know whether they like to think about math-type stuff.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 23, 2008 12:54 am UTC

Ramses IV wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:
blah blah blah

Yeah, but you don't think the long pause indicates that the OG's waiting for something?

Yeah, they are. But it's their responsibility to ask to leave a message if it's all that important. Or not even wait for the pause..

"John's not here"
"Oh, well, tell John that blah blah blah blah blah."
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Wanderingcowboy

Postby Wanderingcowboy » Fri May 23, 2008 1:35 am UTC

ishikiri wrote:But how do you confuse a Canadian accent with an English one? How? They're nothing alike! On a business trip in Conneticut my Boss (with the finance manager) had someone ask if he was from Canada whilst speaking face to face!

In America, there are two types of accents. First, there are American accents, which includes such flavors as the southern accent, the Boston accent, the New York accent, the Chicago accent, and a few other nice varieties.

Then there is the foreign accent, which is divided into "heavy English" (must say "gov'nor at least once per sentence), "heavy Australian" (must say either "mate" or "G'day" twice a sentence), "heavy Canadian" (There's a moose aboot the hoos!), and "other", which is if you speak English, are clearly not American, but don't lay your accent on thick enough for us to distinguish. Canada's pretty close to us, so that's what we'll assume.
Randall on a skateboard!?
:mrgreen: <= This is my smiley. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My smiley is my best friend. It is my life. Without me, my smiley is useless. Without my smiley I am useless.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Fri May 23, 2008 3:38 am UTC

Nath wrote:
Luthen wrote:
eternal luna wrote:This! It's almost as if people consider those two interests [lit and calculus] as incompatible. And as though it's an either/or thing.

For most people it is.

I don't think so. Most of the people I know who like to think (and are good at it) enjoy many different kinds of thought. Most math/science/engineering people I know also enjoy a good book. I don't know many lit geeks, though, so I don't know whether they like to think about math-type stuff.

I would consider myself a bit more of a lit geek than a math geek, but I truly enjoy both. I love reading and writing (I write a lot), but I love the clean logic of math and most science.

I think the problem is mostly that I am always friends with science/math people. Lit nerds or history nerds or whatever nerds are hard to find, so I always fall in with science-y people, who seem to not comprehend my other likes. The arts and sciences are not mutually exclusive! ARGH!!! I want to smash things with books and with lasers! :x
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 23, 2008 3:48 am UTC

Wanderingcowboy wrote:
ishikiri wrote:But how do you confuse a Canadian accent with an English one? How? They're nothing alike! On a business trip in Conneticut my Boss (with the finance manager) had someone ask if he was from Canada whilst speaking face to face!

In America, there are two types of accents. First, there are American accents, which includes such flavors as the southern accent, the Boston accent, the New York accent, the Chicago accent, and a few other nice varieties.

Then there is the foreign accent, which is divided into "heavy English" (must say "gov'nor at least once per sentence), "heavy Australian" (must say either "mate" or "G'day" twice a sentence), "heavy Canadian" (There's a moose aboot the hoos!), and "other", which is if you speak English, are clearly not American, but don't lay your accent on thick enough for us to distinguish. Canada's pretty close to us, so that's what we'll assume.

Well, Native English accents, at least.

There's Russian (Which includes German and pretty much every Slavic language), Spanish (which includes Portuguese and sometimes Italian), African (kinda self-explanatory, but also includes most Middle-Eastern languages), Chinese (... you guessed it - everyone from Southeast Asia speaks with a "Chinese" accent), and French (which is only spoken by comedians trying to appear French) and European (this is what the actual French speakers speak)

There are no other language options.

Return to “General”